Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 29 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 29 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


which ofiice he was elected annually from its organization in 1878 to
1886. He was a member of the Board of Control of the State Indus-
trial Home, located at Adrian, four and one-half years, also a member
of the semi-Centennial Commission, appointed by Governor Alger.

His time and means were not withheld when needed to promote

18



— 266 —

benevolent, moral or educational enterprises, and all measures tending
to encourage public improvements have always received his active
support.

A work entitled Banks and Banking in Michigan, with historical
sketches, and copious extracts from the Banking Laws of the Nation
and State, together with personal sketches of prominent bank officers,
claims Theodore H. Hinchman as its author. It should be upon the
desk of every business man in Michigan, if they would understand the
true principle of banking, and the obligations to the public of those
engaged therein.

In politics, until i860, he was a Whig; during the war, Independent,
but earnest, aiding the government. Since 1867 he has been a Demo-
crat.

In business he is practical and methodical, a man of acts and deeds,
rather than words, never over-reaching, nor undertaking more than he
feels certain he can accomplish; kind and courteous but somewhat
retiring in manner, always respectful to others, be they high or low,
and of unquestionable integrity.

He is a Presbyterian in his religious views, having received his
early impressions from that persuasion.



CHARLES G. HAMMOND.

There are few of the residents of Detroit of fifty years ago but
remember the energetic, enterprising and large-hearted man who is
the subject of this sketch, Charles G. Hammond. He was born at
Smyrna, New Nork, and came to Detroit in 1834, ^"*^ ^^ once took an
active part in promoting enterprises of a religious, educational and
benevolent character, as well as those tending to the material growth
of the city and the west.

At the organization of the First Presbyterian church he became
an elder thereof in November, 1835.

Judge Walker, in his memorial of the First Congregational church,
after alluding to its organization, says: "But to Charles G. Hammond,
more than to any other man, we are indebted for the preliminary steps
that led to its organization, although others rendered great and invalu-
able aid." In 1836 Mr. Hammond removed to Union City and there
joined a Congregational church. He represented Branch county in
the Legislature of. 1841. In 1842 he was appointed auditor general
and returned to Detroit, and while still retaining his membership of the
Congregational church at Union City he attended the Presbyterian
church. Becoming convinced that the rapid growth of the city



— 267 —

demanded increased church organization, upon his invitation a
number of Christian men and women met at his house November 25th,
1844, for the purpose of considering the subject of the organization
of what became the First Congregational church of Detroit. He
resigned the otlice of auditor general in 1845 and took charge of the
construction of the Michigan Central railroad, and subsequently of the
Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad, and became its principal
executive officer, and afterwards general manager of the Union Pacific
railroad. When Chicago was almost entirely destroyed by fire he was
made chairman of the Relief Committee which disbursed and distri-
buted millions to relieve the unfortunate sufferers by the fire.

Mr. Hammond, until death, cherished his love for Detroit, and
always maintained a warm interest for its improvement and the welfare
of its citizens. He was a member of this Society and also of the
Young Men's Literary Society.



JJA VI D B. HERRINTON.

David B. Herrinton was born in Truxton, Cortland county, New
York, May 17th, 1814. He came to Michigan in 1820 with his par-
ents, who died soon after arriving here. In 1834 ^^ went to Milford,
Michigan, and engaged in the furniture business. His first wife was
Elvira Burrington, whom he married at Milford, November 8th, 1842.
She died March 31st, 1845, at DeRuyter, New York. They had one
child, Albert B. Herrinton, who now resides at Daleville, Penn.

After the death of his wife Mr. Herrinton moved to Tyrone,
Livingston county, Michigan, where he married Fanny Park, of that
place, October 15th, 1850. In 1851 they moved to Springfield, Jackson
county, Michigan, where he started a pottery, and for several years he
manufactured all kinds of pots, crocks and jugs. In i860 he sold out
the pottery and came to Detroit, where he engaged in the grocery
business at the corner of Catherine and Chene streets, but during the
war, business being dull, he sold out the grocery and purchased the
property corner of Farmer and Bates streets (where is now a four story
brick). In 1862 he went into the sewing machine business on Jefferson
avenue. He introduced the first sewing machine in Detroit (the old hand
machines with a wheel and handle on the side to run it by). He was
the only person in the State who repaired machines, and he had
them sent to him from all over the country. He removed from Jeffer-
son avenue to the corner of Michigan and Woodward avenues and
enlarged his business to a general agency, when he had agents on the
road all over the United States and Canada. Later he moved to the
corner of Farmer street and Monroe avenue, where he was associated



— 268 —

with J. E. Boylan. At the State fair Mr. and Mrs. Herrinton took
first premium for the finest work done on a sewing machine. In 1866
he bought out J. E. Boylan's interest in the Domestic Sewing Machine
Company's branch at Detroit and for a number of years he was located
on State street, between Woodward avenue and Farmer street. In
1874 ^^ patented a spring for running a sewing machine without the
use of the treadle and applied it to the machines for use in tailor shops,
etc. In 1 880 he started the Excelsior bakery at 779 Woodward avenue,
with his son, William W. Herrinton. After continuing in business
in the bakery for three years he sold out, on account of his health
failing.

Albert B. Herrinton, the eldest son of David B. Herrinton, was
one of the first persons in Springfield, Michigan, to enlist in the army,
and was a drummer in Company I, 14th Regiment, Mich. Vet. Vol.
Infantry, ist Brigade, 2d Division, 14th Army Corps, and served
through the entire war. He still retains his drum as a memento of
the war.

David B. Herrinton, being too old to enlist in the regular army,
was enlisted as a minute man, but was not called upon. The minute
men were liable to be called upon at any hour of the day or night,
during the latter part of 1861 and of 1862-63, to protect the frontier
against the raids of southern refugees in Canada. On one occasion
over one thousand were called and met at the rendezvous in thirty
minutes. The call was made at the request of Mayor K. C. Barker,
he having received information that an organized body were about to
cross for incendiary purposes. The information that there was an
organized force proved true, and some fifty actually landed, but returned
when they learned preparation had been made to receive them. The
following morning the steamer Philo Parsons was boarded at Maiden
by a portion of the refugees. What followed is known and is a matter
of history. It was a great surprise to Mayor Barker that so large a
number of men could be assembled in so short a time.

In politics Mr. Herrinton was a Republican, and for two years
held the position of market clerk in the eastern market.

He was a member of the old Congress Street Methodist church,
and at the time of the burning of the church he was a member of the
choir. Later he was a member of the Central M. E. church on Wood-
ward avenue. Both he and the members of his family were prominent
workers in the church. His name and that of his wife are among the
names on the parchment in the corner stone of the Central M. E.
church. He was ope of the charter members of the old Third Avenue
Mission church (now Unity churchV

Mr. Herrinton was confined to his house for nearly two years
before his death, which occurred June 14th, 1886, at the age of seventy-



— 269 —

two years. His children by his second wife were : Elvira, who married
J. M. Chilson; Fannie, who married Dr. J. P. Corcoran; Wm. W.,
foreman at the Hargreaves Manufacturing Company; Charles A., also
employed at the same place, and Frank S., foreman of the book depart-
ment of O. S. Gulley, Bornman & Company, the printers of this book.



JACOB SHA W FARE AND.

Jacob Shaw Farrand is a native of Cayuga county. New York, and
was born May 7th, 181 5. When a lad of ten he removed with his
father to the then Territory of Michigan and settled at Ann Arbor,
Washtenaw county, in the fall of 1825, having tarried during the sum-
mer in Detroit. He worked on his father's farm for a year or two,
but during a portion of the time carried the mail between Ann Arbor
and Detroit, was one year in the drug store of Lord & Denton at Ann
Arbor, and came to Detroit and entered the employment of Messrs.
Rice & Bingham, druggists. This house was first established in
1819, when Detroit was but an Indian trading post. The subsequent
changes have been as follows : Originally under the name of C. Penni-
man, then to Penniman & Rice, Rice & Bingham, in 1830 Edward
Bingham; in 1836 Mr. Farrand purchased an interest and the firm
became E. Bingham & Co., which continued until 1841, when Mr.
Farrand was appointed deputy collector of United States Customs
under Edward Brooks, collector. Mr. Bingham, meanwhile, remained
at the head of the house until January ist, 1842, when the establish-
ment was destroyed by fire, but in 1845 ^^ restored the enterprise and
continued the business alone until 1855, when he associated Mr. W. W.
Wheaton with him under the firm name of Farrand & Wheaton. In
1858 Mr. Wheaton withdrew, when he again was alone for a year, and
Mr. Alanson Sheley purchasing an interest, the firm passed to Farrand
& Sheley. Subsequently Mr. W. C. Williams, Harvey C. Clark and
James E. Davis, former employees, were taken as partners, and the
house to-day is known as Farrand, Williams & Company.

Mr. Farrand early took an interest in associations and enterprises
for the improvement of the morals and correcting the evils of society,
as we find that in 1836 he was a member of the Executive Committee
of the Young Men's State Temperance Society, that Stevens T.
Mason, George E. Hand, John Chester, John Owen and A. S. Kellogg
were his associates, that in 1840 he was secretary of the Detroit City
Temperance Society, and at the same time was also an active member
of the First Presbyterian church, and since 1856 has been a ruling
elder of the same; was commissioner to the General Assembly at
Dayton, Ohio, in 1863, at New York in 1869, and at Detroit in 1873;
in July, 1877, was a delegate to the Presbyterian Alliance, held at
Edinburgh, Scotland.



• —270 —

In addition to his being the head of the house of Farrand,
Williams & Company, he is one of the principal stockholders and
directors of the First National Bank, Wayne County Savings Bank,
Detroit Fire and Marine Insurance Company, trustee of Harper's
Hospital, member of the Board of Water Commissioners, president of
the Michigan Mutual Life Insurance Company and trustee of the East-
ern Asylum for the Insane at Pontiac, and for a number of years
president of the Board of Police Commissioners. In all these various
positions he has held, so faithfully has he discharged the duties im-
posed, as to be recognized as the father of all enterprises which have
contributed to make Detroit substantial, in religious, moral, charitable
and educational, and in pecuniary responsibility.

Mr. Farrand married Miss Olive M. Coe, of Hudson, Ohio, in
August, 1 84 1. They have four children, two sons and two daughters.



HENRY FRALICK.



Hon. Henry Frahck, now of Grand Rapids, was an early pioneer
and long a resident of Wayne county, and hence as he has always been
considered as belonging to this county, a history of it, or of the men
who contributed much towards its present condition would seem
incomplete should he be omitted.

Mr. Fralick is descended from an old revolutionary family, his
grandfather being one of fifteen boys, eleven of whom served in the
War of Independence, four being killed and seven wounded. His
father, Abraham Fralick, was a captain in the war of 181 2, serving
with distinction until its close. He was born in Columbia county, New
York, September 5th, 1784, from which he removed to Montgomery
county, marrying. May 4th, 1806, Miss Mary E. Keller, a daughter
of Hon. Henry Keller, member of the New York Senate and House
from that county.

Mr, Fralick was born at Minden, Montgomery county, New
York, February 9th, 181 2. In 1827 he removed with his parents to
the then Territory of Michigan, settling in Plymouth, Wayne county.
He received his early education at the district schools, and at the age
of seventeen years went to New York, serving as captain of a canal
boat until 1832, when he shipped on board a whaling vessel from
New Bedford, Massachusetts, for the South Atlantic and Indian Oceans.
He was gone two years. On his return he shipped as third mate on a
merchant vessel for ^io Janeiro. At the end of seven months' voyage
he came to Detroit in 1836 and engaged as a clerk in the Michigan
Exchange for nine months, when he returned to Plymouth and the
store of Henry Holbrook, whom he, in 1838, bought out and continued



— 271 —

the business on his own account for three years, and then, selHng to
Messrs. Austin & Penniman he built a flour and saw mill. He carried
on this business two years, then selling his mill to Mr. Austin he again
engaged in the mercantile business until i860, when he sold his store
and went to Grand Rapids, where he has since resided.

While a citizen of Wayne county he held many public positions of
honor and trust. He was supervisor. Justice of the Peace, county
auditor three years, member of the Legislature in 1847, the year the
capital was moved to Lansing; in 1850 was elected a member of the
Constitutional Convention, in 1853 was State senator, and has always
been recognized as one of the prominent men of the State and county.
During the late Civil War he, in conjunction with his brother and Mr.
Penniman, raised, equipped and filed the muster rolls of the first com-
pany in the State, which enlisted for three years and throughout the
continuance of the war. He was of great service in aiding the gov-
ernment in its prosecution. His brother, Peter, was also well known
and respected in the county, and for a term of years was sheriff of the
county. He was born at Minden, Montgomery county. New York,
September 25th, 1809, and died at Plymouth in 1868.

Since Mr. Fralick's residence in Grand Rapids he has been
engaged in manufacturing, banking and real estate, and has held
prominent public positions in the county for a long time; has been
president of the State Agricultural and State Pioneer Societies, served
thirty years as a school officer, and was president of the Board of Edu-
cation of the city of Grand Rapids four years, trustee and treasurer of
Olivet College thirteen years, president of the Board of Trustees
of the Congregational church, served nine years as United States
Jury Commissioner and was one of the State Board of Managers at the
Centennial of 1876, in all of which he has demonstrated those traits of
character for integrity, efficiency and energy, which gained him the
merited confidence of the citizens of his almost native county.

May 23, 1837, he married Corinna A. Lyon, daughter of Hon.
Henry Lyon, one of the earliest settlers in Plymouth. Mrs. Fralick
was born at Plymouth, May 17th, 1819. She died October i6th, 1840.
On April 22d, 1842, he married Mrs. Jeanette Woodruff.

They have four children, one son and three daughters, all living.



JAMES CULL EN.

James Cullen, well known as a hustler prior to and during the recent
Civil War, was born in Ireland in 1820, came to Michigan in 1832, and
married Abigal McSweeny, at Detroit, in 1846. She was born at
Killarney, Ireland, in 1826. They have nine children, four daughters
and five sons; all except the eldest daughter are now living.



— 272 —

At the breaking out of the rebellion, Captain CuUen was among
the first to offer himself for service, and leaving his business, raised a
company for the 24th Michigan Infantry, accompanied it to the seat of
war, and participated with it in the battles of Gettysburg, Fredericks-
burg, and others.

In 1863 he resigned as Captain in the 24th Infantry, and returning
to Detroit recruited a company for the ist Cavalry, of which he was
appointed Captain, and again went to the front with his regiment,
which was attached to Custer's Brigade, and was in all the engage-
ments from Winchester through the campaign of that year, when on
account of physical disability he resigned and returned to Detroit,
where he has since resided. Captain Cullen is a generous-hearted,
honorable man; anything he undertakes he prosecutes enthusiastically
and earnestly. When he entered the army he was in good circum-
stances, and did not withhold his money to aid in raising men. He
made great sacrifices in business, abandoning it to engage in vindicat-
ing the honor of the Government, for all of which he has been poorly
rewarded. He is a true friend, and a generous foe, but too proud to
seek favor for personal services. This is his only fault.



ALEXANDER LE WIS.

" There are men moving in life who, without show or ostentation, influence and
shape circumstances to an end favorable not only to themselves but for the good of
the community. " — Dry den.

None who have observed and known the Hon. Alexander Lewis
as, during the past fifty years he has moved in the business and social
circles of Detroit, but will concede that in his life, and its practical and
material results, the truth of the foregoing sentiment has been demon-
strated by him.

Mr. Lewis came to Detroit at the age of fourteen years, and avail-
ing himself of the opportunities for obtaining a preparatory education,
he was soon able to take a high position among the business men of
the times, and at the age of twenty-one became associated with the
house since known as Bridge & Lewis, and subsequently as Alexander
Lewis & Company, their business being operating in grain and flour.

Mr. Lewis has been a member of the Board of Trade of Detroit
since its first organization and was its president in 1862.

Although never seeking public positions he has never shrunk from
the responsibilities they imposed when his conscience and sense of duty
seemed to demand tlieir acceptance, and therefore in 1875 ^^ "^^^
induced to permit the use of his name as a candidate for mayor of his
native city on the moral reform ticket, to which position he was elected



— 273 —

by a large majority. His administration of the duties of this office
gained for him the confidence, respect and esteem of all classes irres-
pective of party, and was characterised by the wise and liberal
measures advocated by him to encourage education and the promotion
of public health, morals and the material growth of the city.

Mr. Lewis has been identified with a number of manufacturing
and building industries, and is president of the Detroit Gas Light
Company.

In manner he is retiring but courteous, inclined somewhat to reti-
cence in words, evidently relying on action and result as the better rule
of measurement. He is polite to all, rich and poor, giving respectful
attention to whatever is presented for his consideration, and generous
with his means and sympathies for all worthy objects.

Alexander Lewis was born at Sandwich, in the Province of
Canada, in 1822, and is the fourth son of Thomas Lewis, who was
born at Three Rivers, Canada. He was the son of Thomas Lewis,
who married Josette DeSonne, April 3d, 1804. Thomas Lewis, the
father of the subject of this sketch, married at Ottawa (near what is
now Walkerville, Canada), Jeanne Villier, daughter of Louis Villier
and Charlotte Requindeau, and a granddaughter of Louis Villier, who
was born at Tours, France, in 1747, came to Quebec while a young
man, and from thence to Detroit, where he married Marguerite Morin
April 26th, 1770. He was named St. Louis on account of his piety.

There were eight children born to Thomas Lewis and Jeannette
Villier, as follows: Joseph, who married Fanny Sterling; Sophie, who
married Narcissus Tonomeur; Thomas, known as the Governor; Ann,
who married Rich. Godfroy; Charlotte, whose first husband was Dr.
Fay, and who married the late Hon. H. P. Bridge for her second
husband; Samuel, long and well known as a successful business man
of Detroit and a gentleman in every sense of the word, and Alexander,
the subject of this sketch, who, in 1850, married Elizabeth, the daugh-
ter of the late Justice Ingersoll and Ann Buckley. They have had
thirteen children, eight of whom are living.



SAMUEL W. DEXTER.

The subject of this sketch, although at his death, not a resident of
this county, yet being a pioneer and a resident in its early history, and
becoming identified with its subsequent developments, as well as with
the growth of the State, it is with much satisfaction that we use this
opportunity to preserve a record of the man, and the part he took in
making Michigan what it is to-day.

Judge Dexter, as known to the compiler, exemplified and demon-



. —274 —

strated in his life and character what Calmet defines as mercy: "a
virtue which inspires compassion for others, and inclines us to assist in
their necessities." It is one of the noblest attributes of the deity
(speaking after the manner of men, and explaining what by supposition
may pass in the mind of God, by what passes in the human mind). The
object of mercy is misery, so God pities human miseries and forbears to
chastise severely — so man pities the miseries of fellow man and assists
to diminish it. All that knew Judge Samuel W. Dexter, in life, we
think, will confirm and agree to the diagnosis of his personal character
as demonstrated by his acts.

Samuel W. Dexter, was the son of Samuel Dexter, who was born
in Massachusetts in 1761, was United States Senator in 1798, and subse-
quently held the position of Secretary of War and Secretary of the
Treasury. Samuel W. (the subject), was born in Boston, Mass., in
1792. After a preparatory course he entered Harvard, from which he
graduated at the age of twenty, and then took up the study of law,
which he prosecuted, and was admitted to the bar, but its practice not
being to his tastes, he never made it the business of his life. In 1816
he married Miss Augusta Provost. She lived but a few years. June 10,
1824, he came to Detroit, where he resided and married Miss Susan
Dunham, in 1825, and in the fall of 1826, moved to Dexter, Washtenaw
county. He had previously located a tract of land where Saginaw is
now situated, and where the county and town are established. He
gave a whole square of four acres upon which the county buildings
were subsequently located. He had also in 1825 located 1,700 acres,
near and upon the present site of Dexter, and had built a large
log house, and had also improved the water power, by erecting a saw
and grist mill.

On fixing upon this portion of the State for a permanent location,
he immediately began to improve and make the locality enticing to
other settlers, and it soon becoming populated, the township and village
were organized, and named after him as the projector.

Shortly after removing to Dexter his wife Susan (Dunham)
Dexter, died. Neither his first or second wife left children to survive
their decease.

In 1828 he married Miss Milicent Bond. The children which
survive him are: (Mary) Mrs. L. H. Jones; Wirt Dexter, of Chicago;
Mrs. Catherine Donaldson, (Hannah) Mrs. Dr. Godman, and Mrs. Juha
Dexter Stannard, of Dexter, President of the Woman's Christian
Temperance Union, Second^ District of Michigan. Mrs. Dexter, nee
Bond, is still living at the old homestead, and is a woman of remarkable
energy, perseverence, and purity of thought and deed.

Judge Dexter received his title by being appointed Chief Judge of
Washtenaw county, by Governor Cass, in 1826. He served as such



— 275 —

until the enactment of the law providing for the election of judges by
the popular vote, and never having a desire for political position he
declined to be a candidate.

The Judge, during his whole life, was anti-slavery in sentiment.



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 29 of 51)