Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 31 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 31 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


with a sketch of Mr. Cooper, to insert the following:

" The doors of the new Memorial church were thrown open at 2
o'clock Sunday afternoon, and in less than ten minutes each of the 425
sittings was occupied, while many people remained standing in the
lobby and aisles, there being, it is estimated, over six hundred persons
present. It was the first time that the new structure, complete even to
holding an audience, was seen, and it is not too much to say that a more
beautiful picture of such a character has never been seen in Detroit.
The auditorium is a beauty, harmonizing in architectural design and
ornamentation completely, having a series of eleven memorial windows,
the larger one of which is in memory of the father, mother and wife
of Rev. David M. Cooper, present pastor of the church. The remain-
ing ten windows are historical memorials of the growth and progress
of Presbyterianism."

At the close of the memoir, read by Mr. Cooper, of his father.



— 285 —

mother and wife, for whom the church was erected as a memorial, he
concludes as follows : " I know of no more suitable or better way to
perpetuate their memory than to employ a portion of the fortune
bequeathed us, in the erection of a house of worship wherein the Gospel
of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ shall be freely preached by one
who was in infancy baptized in the name of Father, Son and Holy
Ghost."



GENERAL O. B. WILCOX.

The subject of this sketch is a son of Wayne county, having been
born in Detroit in 1826. He has distinguished himself and conferred
honor upon the city of his nativity, and the nation of which he is a
worthy representative, as a courageous soldier, as an honorable, high
minded citizen and as a scholar of more than ordinary literary ability.
In 1846 he graduated from West Point. During the Mexican war he
served as lieutenant in the artillery and continued in the United States
army until 1854, ^"^ ^^ completing his legal studies was admitted to
the bar and practiced law in Detroit until the breaking out of the Civil
War in 1861, when he tendered his sword to the State and was
appointed colonel of the First Regiment of Infantry, raised by the
State under President Lincoln's call of April, 1861. His regiment was
the first from the west at Washington to report for service. He was
in command at Alexandria just prior to the first battle of Bull Run.
He participated in that battle, in which he was wounded and taken
prisoner and confined in Richmond prison for fifteen months, when he
was exchanged. Not having recovered from the effects of his wounds
and the debility occasioned by his long confinement, he returned to
Detroit for a short time, when he again entered the army and served
during the Virginia campaign of 1861 and 1862. Subsequently he was
promoted to brigadier and major-general of volunteers for meritorious
conduct at Spotsylvania and Petersburg. He served during the entire
war, at its close was mustered out and appointed, by President John-
son, assessor of internal revenue at Detroit. In 1867 he was appointed
a colonel in the regular army and assigned to the command of the
Twelfth Regiment United States Infantry, stationed at Angel Bay
Island, near San Francisco. Subsequently he was promoted to the rank
of brigadier-general in the regular army and is now governor of the
National Soldier's Home, Washington, D. C.

In 1856 General Wilcox published " Shoepack Recollections : A
Wayside Glimpse of American Life," and another, in 1857, entitled
"Toca: An Army Memoir, by Major March."

General Wilcox is well remembered by the older citizens of Detroit,
some of whom were his early schoolmates. Among them was the late



— 286 —

Judge Campbell, who recently, in alluding to him, said : " I know of none
among the young men of my boyhood, who possessed the amiable
qualities of mind and heart, which so endeared him to them and my-
self more than General Wilcox," and further (referring to E. B., his
brother,) "he also partakes of the same genial and lovable qualities, in
a great degree, and besides is a happy, polished and interesting writer.
His articles always read well and abound in pungent wit, clothed in
choice language."



THOMAS McGRAW.



Thomas McGraw was born September 17th, 1824, at Castleton,
County of Limerick, Ireland. On the paternal side he is of Scotch-
Irish descent and on the maternal, German. They were married in
Ireland, came to the United States in 1825, bringing the subject of this
sketch with them.

The father of Mr. McGraw, Redmon McGraw, was born at
Castleton, Limerick county, Ireland, in 1777. He is said to have been
a man, liberal as to education and also to the inherent rights of his
fellow men. It was the latter which caused him to remove to America
where he could enjoy free expression and equal rights, hence, against
the protest and advice of his friends, as well as the vestry of the
church, of which he was a member, he sold his property and came to
the United States. He died in Oakland county in 1852. The mother
of Mr. McGraw was born in Germany. She, with her parents, had taken
passage for America (being Episcopalians in their religious views) when
their vessel was driven on the Irish coast and disabled, compelling
them to abandon her. The family then took up their residence in
Limerick. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Faught. She died in 1877.

For the first ten years they resided on a farm in the State of New
York, and in 1835 removed to the then Territory of Michigan. Mr.
McGraw being then eleven years of age and the farmer's life distaste-
ful to him, he, therefore, thus early began to lay plans for some more
congenial avocation, and employed his available time in reading and
acquiring a general knowledge of the world outside the farm. He
conceived the impression that a sailor's Hfe would suit him and at the
age of fifteen left home, with a view of testing it. He, however, on
reaching Rochester, N. Y., changed his mind, and accepting a situ-
ation as clerk in a store at a salary of ninet3^-six dollars a year, he
remained at Rochester. At the end of two years he returned home
and invested his earjiings in forty acres of land. He subsequently sold
this land for seven hundred dollars, thus acquiring a large sum for those
days, with which to commence business in a country town. Prior to
this sale he had acted as the Detroit agent of a Pittsburg iron company.



— 287 —

with whom he remained until 1847, when he determined to make a
business venture on his own account and established a retail store at
Novi, Oakland county. He continued the business, in connection with
that of operating in wool, until 1864, at which time he came to Detroit,
and established the wool house of T. McGraw & Co. As the business
increased he took in not only the State of Michigan but extended his
transactions to the States of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Wisconsin and
Iowa. He also started a branch for marketing his purchases in Boston,
Mass. The business proved successful and his surplus acquisitions he
has invested in real estate and manufacturing industries in Detroit.
Although he still operates in wool he has curtailed the extent, devoting
the major portion of his time to the care of his real estate and manu-
facturing interests. He now owns the (formerly) Mechanics', now
McGraw Block and is the president of the Globe Tobacco Works,
besides being interested in other manufactories.

Mr. McGraw is a generous man, giving liberally to all objects of
a moral and benevolent character, readily responding to all demands
made upon his time or money for relief to the worthy, or in enterprises
tending to promote the healthy growth of the city and the happiness of
its citizens. (The compiler remembers on one occasion, however, in
1 85 1, when Mr. McGraw was unable to respond to a demand made
upon him, owing to circumstances beyond his control.) Mr. McGraw
has for years been connected with the Masonic fraternity and is a
member of St. John's Episcopal church. He married Miss Sarah I.
Selden, April 13th, 1848. She was the granddaughter of Rodman
Hazard, of Hancock, a prominent man in Massachusetts. They have
lost two daughters, one of whom died in 1868, the other in 1869.



ELON W. HUDSON.

" Every man is conscious of a two-fold life — the one trivial and ordinary, the
other sacred and recluse. One which he carries to his business, to society, and the
dinner table — the other, in which his youth and aspirations survive for him, and
which is a confidence between himself and God."

In his life, the subject of this sketch would seem to have demon-
strated that he regarded his obHgations to his Maker as paramount,
and made all else subservient to them.

Elon W. Hudson is a native of the Empire State, and was born in
Chenango county, N, Y., January 23, 1818. His parents were both of
Rhode Island birth, and of English ancestry. George P. Hudson, the
father of Mr. Hudson, was born near Providence, Rhode Island,
September 29th, 1793, and his mother, Deborah Winsor, was born in
the same town in 1797. Both were from Revolutionary stock, whose
names will be found among the participants in the struggle for Ameri-



— 288 —

can independence. They were married in the town of Norwich, April
17, 1817. They died at New Berlin, the former, March 22, 1881, and
the latter August 3, 1840. They had thirteen children, of whom E. W.
is the eldest son.

Mr. Hudson came to Detroit in 1846, and engaged in the shipping
and forwarding business, which he prosecuted successfully for a
number of years, meanwhile building and owning some of the largest
vessels floating the lakes, among them the Zach Chandler, Henry P.
Baldwin, Harvest Home, Harvest Queen, H. H. Brown, S. E. Hudson,
Zephyr, Nautilus (rebuilt), besides rebuilding many others. He also
invested largely in real estate, as well as in several important manufac-
facturing industries, which have had much to do in promoting the com-
mercial and material prosperity of our beautiful city. While thus
engaged in active business pursuits, he did not lose sight of his religious
and moral obligations, giving liberally his time and money to advance
and establish enterprises tending to elevate and improve the morals of
society, and the good of humanity.

Among the numerous gifts of Mr. Hudson in the interests of the
church, education, benevolence and humanity, is the donation to Grace
Church of the valuable lots on the corner of Fort and Second streets,
and his liberal contributions toward the erection of the magnificent
edifice in which this society worship, and of which he has been the
senior warden since 1867. The large subscription to the Michigan
University, the donations to the numerous charitable institutions of the
church and the city, all of which he has made in such a modest manner
that the knowledge of his munificent giving is almost confined to those
who have been benefited by his generosity. So reticent has Mr. Hud-
son been in respect to his numerous contributions, that in many
instances even his wife is ignorant of their extent. In 1849, Mr. Hud-
son married Miss Sarah E. Fuller, of Providence, R. I. Her paternal
ancestors were of Massachusetts antecedents. On the maternal side,
her mother, Abby Fuller, being a daughter of Captain Joseph Northup,
who, prior to the days of steam, was the owner of the Newport and
New York Packet Line, composed of eight fast sailing vessels, and
was well and favorably known both in New York, Newport, and on
the New England coast. He was the grandson of one of the four
Northup brothers, who emigrated from England and settled in Rhode
Island about the day of Roger Williams. Mrs. Hudson is an exem-
plary and kind hearted woman, doing good work as opportunity and
circumstances afford, and for many years was one of the Board of
Directors of the Protestant Orphan Asylum, and has been active in her
efforts to aid and assist all organizations of a similar character and
objects. Her husband is greatly indebted to her for wise counsel,
encouragement and cheerful sympathy in the varied circumstances



■ — 289 —

encountered by him during their wedded life. Soon after their marri-
age they purchased the property on Fort street West, upon which
they subsequently erected the elegant residence which they have con-
tinuously occupied for the past thirty-seven years, extending generous
hospitalities in an unostentatious manner.

In church matters, Mr. Hudson has been an earnest, practical
worker, during the greater portion of his life, while devoting by pre-
cept and example his energies to its spiritual strength and growth, he
has carefully guarded its material and financial interests.

As a citizen, he has in a quiet way answered, in proportion to his
means and the extent of his influence, all demands made upon him to
promote the growth of his adopted city in morals, material wealth and
beauty, and enjoys the confidence and respect of its citizens, and the
public generally.

In politics, Mr. Hudson has been identified with the Republican
party from its organization. Though often solicited, he has never held
a public political position, but has never withheld his support, or his
money, in furthering the legitimate objects and purposes of the party of
his choice. Notwithstanding his age exempted him from personal ser-
vice during the late war, he in many ways gave liberall}^ of time and
money for bounties, etc., toward maintaining the authority of the
Government and the suppression of the rebellion.

The character of Mr. Hudson is that of a modest, courteous gentle-
man, and while never obtruding his opinions, is independent and firm in
their maintenance.

January 23, 1888, being the seventieth birthday of Mr. Hudson, a
very agreeable surprise was arranged by his associates of Grace
Church vestry, who, together with former members of the vestry,
assembled at the church in the evening, and proceeded in a body to his
residence on Fort street.

The Rev. Dr. Carroll, in feeling and touching words, congratulated
the venerable gentleman on having attained the prescribed "three-
score years and ten," and trusted he would be spared for many years
to come.

Mr. Hudson, somewhat embarrassed, warmly reciprocated the
kindly feelings which the visit and the Rector's words so heartily
expressed, and assured all present of the deep interest he felt in the
welfare of Grace Church, and all his fellow members . A pleasant hour
was spent, and the gentlemen were hospitably entertained by Mrs.
Hudson, the visitors leaving behind them a reminder of their call in
the shape of two richly bound volumes of Farrar's "Life of Christ,"
handsomely inscribed as follows: " 1818 — Jan. 23 — 1888. Mr. Elon



— 290 —

W. Hudson, Senior Warden of Grace Church, Detroit, since the
organization of the Parish, a. d. 1867. A tribute of affectionate esteem
from co-laborers in present and past vestries."

Mr. Hudson was one of the original incorporators of Woodmere
Cemetery.



GEORGE FOOTE.



George Foote, of Detroit, Mich., was born May 4, 1818, at Bur-
lington, Vt., being the second son of the Hon. Alvan Foote who was
born at Castleton, Vt., and a graduate of Dartmouth College in 1799,
who was the eldest son of George Foote, a patriot soldier of the War
for Independence, who took an active part in Bennington Battle under
General Stark, of New Hampshire, October, 1777, was taken prisoner
and for months contined in Fort Ticonderoga by the British. He
escaped from there into Vermont and later joined the command of
Colonel Ethan Allen and was one of Vermont's volunteers present
when that fort was surrendered. Thus much for his paternal grand-
parents.

Mr. Foote has 3'et other grounds for pride of ancestry, for his
grandfather on his mother's side was also a patriot of that war, a
Boston man, a graduate of Harvard College, an estabhshed lawyer who
early joined the Massachusetts line of ten thousand furnished by that
State and placed under the command of General Lincoln fully equip-
ped, and offered to the United States government, and were received
and mustered into service by General Washington, at Boston. They
were early in the field, and upon the battle field of Saratoga were
victorious, thence on through the war to Yorktown, being present at the
surrender of Cornwallis. Colonel Nathan Rice was often on the staff
of Gen. Knox, was personally acquainted with General Lafayette and
other distinguished officers of the army.

George Foote, the subject of this notice, after having received a
fair education, at the age of eighteen came to Detroit, May 19,
1836, and was employed by a widely known merchant, Franklin
Moore, with whom he was associated in an extensive business for a
period of nearly forty years, closing at his death, and that of a junior
partner, George F. Bagley, fulfilling every obligation to its creditors
and those with whom dealings were had. Mr. Foote yet enjoys the
confidence of his many friends, was at various dates an active member
of the Board of Aldermen, director of a bank, active for years as a
volunteer fireman, prominent in many social clubs, an ardent Republi-
can and a Presbyterian in faith. He was twice married. First to the
daughter of James A. D wight, of Montreal, C. E., who had four
daughters, each well placed in life, married and blessed with families ;



— 291 —

second, to the daughter of the late John Hungerford, of Torrenton,
Connecticut, by whom he had two sons and one daughter, who
reached majority, and are also well placed in life.

It has been the lot of Mr. Foote to enjoy a pleasant life of fifty-
four years, and to have known Michigan in its infancy, its settlement,
its progress, and to fully appreciate its advancing influence among its
sister States.



DANIEL J. CAMPAU.

Among the varied objects of a landscape we behold a tree. Sep-
arating it from other objects we find it has a trunk, leaves, branches,
etc. Examining these different parts, then uniting them in one, we
form a notion of the tree. The first part of this process is analysis,
the second synthesis. The instruments of analysis are observation
and experiment; of synthesis, definition and classification.

In determining the characteristics of a man we are not permitted,
as biographers, to compare him with another, but must simpl}^ judge
by his own and the acts of his progenitors. While education and cir-
cumstances contribute to form character, they cannot change, entirely, ■
the inherent nature. Nations are proud of their antiquity, and individ-
uals of their ancestry.

Daniel J. Campau is the son of Daniel J. Campau, Sr., and Marie
Frances Palms, and the grandson of Joseph Campau and Adeleide
Dequindre, who was the daughter of Major Dequindre. For their
genealogy, reference is made to the first, second and third periods of
this compilation.

Daniel J. Campau, Jr., the subject of this sketch, was born in
Detroit, August 20th, 1852. He received his preparatory course in
the schools of Detroit, entered St. John's College at Fordham, New
York, and after his graduation read law and was admitted to the
Detroit bar in 1879. Soon after, the ill health of his father imposed
upon him the care of the estate, so much so as to compel him to give
up the general practice of his profession. The subsequent death of
his father threw almost the entire care of the estate upon him, necessi-
tating the consumption of most of his time. Characteristic of the enter-
prise, as well as the sagacity, which distinguished his grandfather, he
sought to utilize the unimproved property belonging to the estate so
as to add to the substantial improvement and embellishment of his native
city, and also to afford a revenue to the estate. Another characteristic
of his grandfather is his love for a good horse, which has led him to
become prominent among the horsemen of not only Michigan, but
made him a national reputation in that direction. The manly and



— 292 —

honorable course pursued by him in the management of the Detroit
Driving Club, of which he is president and which he organized in 1884,
and the subsequent organization of The American Trotting Associa-
tion, upon the basis of honorable competition, has eliminated all that is
low and dishonorable in racing, and made the sport reputable, so that
it is now patronized and attended by the very best of citizens.

While Mr. Campau has been engaged in the foregoing, he has not
neglected political matters. He is very popular with the masses of the
people, and for some years has been a leading spirit in the councils of
the Democratic party. President Cleveland, in consideration of his
influence, and in appreciation of his worth, appointed him collector of
customs for the District of Detroit in 1886, and notwithstanding the recent
change of administration, so well had he administered the duties of his
office, that no effort was made for his removal; but recognizing the
Jacksonian doctrine, " that not even in semblance could he hold office
under the dominant party adverse to his political convictions," he
tendered his resignation the latter part of January, 1890.

Mr. Campau is an active, energetic man, showing much determin-
ation and push in the development of what he has undertaken, and all
of which he accomplishes in a quiet, unostentatious manner, and with
no flourish of trumpets. So in regard to other enterprises of a bene-
volent character, he closely resembles his grandfather in the way of
their bestowal. In all matters tending to advance the public interests,
in the way of material improvements, he is a generous giver of time
and money. He is equally as methodical in his business system as was
his grandfather. Those acquainted with both have often been reminded
of their similarity, and of many other characteristics which are some-
what distinguished and marked.



AROUET RICHMOND.

The following is an extract from the Detroit Evening News of
April loth, 1890:

"Arouet Richmond, for fifty 3^ears a resident in Detroit and long
known as among her solid business men, died at seven o'clock last
evening, after an illness of about five weeks. He had for some time
been a sufferer from rheumatism, and the disease, complicated with
pneumonia, led to the fatal result April 9th, 1890.

" Mr. Richmond was born at Canandaigua, New York, December
17th, 181 7, of Engligh parentage. He received a common school edu-
cation and learned the trade of a book binder, thus laying the founda-
tion for the management of the extensive business which he afterward
conducted. In 1839 the State printing of Michigan was secured by



— 293 —

the old Advertiser Company, and wanting a practical man to look after
the book binding, they sent to Rochester for young Richmond to take
charge of this department. He soon set up an establishment for him-
self, first occupying a store in the block where the old Fireman's Hall
now stands. Mr. Backus soon afterward became a member of the
firm and its growth, enterprise and prosperity form an important fea-
ture in the business history of Detroit. The recent troubles of this
extensive house, which in no wise involved its financial standing, are
familiar to all readers of current news. Claim was made that Mr.
Richmond, so long an active, pushing and judicious business man, had
become incompetent to look after his affairs, and since that time he had
been in practical retirement.

" The deceased was a member of the Episcopal church, and for
years a recognized pillar in St. John's. He was twice married, and
leaves a wife and five children, the youngest being fourteen. Those
unmarried still reside at the handsome homestead, 43 High street
East."

Mr. Richmond was a Knights Templar, and for a long time was
active as a member of the Masonic fraternity.



EMIL S. HEINEMAN.

Emil S. Heineman was born at Neu-Haus, Kingdom of Hanover,
Germany, December 11, 1824. After receiving a business education,
Mr, Heineman left his native land for America, in 185 1. Stopping for
a short time in New York, he proceeded to Cincinnati, where he
remained until i860, when he removed to Detroit, which has since
been his home.

On his first arrival in Detroit, he for a time was associated with
the late David Amburg, and also with the Hon. Edward Breitung,
late Member of Congress from the Lake Superior District. In 1861,
Mr. Heineman established a clothing house, occupying first, the store
under the Russell House, corner of Woodward avenue and Cadillac
Square, from thence he removed and occupied the second floor over
G. and R. McMillan's store, and that occupied by Roos' restaurant.
He then began to extend his business into a wholesale trade, and find-



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 31 of 51)