Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 32 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 32 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ing the location too small, moved to the building at Nos. 142 and 144
Jefferson avenue, and established the house of Heineman, Butzel &
Company, which up to the first of January last did a large and success-
ful trade, when Mr. Heineman withdrew, and is succeeded by Messrs.
Martin and Magnus Butzel, who continue the business at the same
place.

In i860, Mr. Heineman married Miss Fanny Butzel, by whom he



— 294 —

has a number of children, David E., being a promising young lawyer,
and Solomon E., secretary and treasurer of the Merz Capsule Com-
pany.

Mr. Heineman has acquired a handsome fortune, owning one very
fine brick block on Bates street; is a large stockholder in the Fort and
Elmwood street railway, of which he is the treasurer. He has one of
the finest residences on Woodward avenue, the grounds about it being
a perfect flower garden, exhibiting the fine taste of the owner in their
cultivation and embellishment.

This competency has been secured by the practice of frugality,
industry, and honest and honorable dealing with his fellow men, whose
esteem and confidence he has won and still holds.

Mr. Heineman has been alive and active in promoting all enter-
prises tending to build up and improve the city of his adoption, and has
not withheld his time or money whenever and wherever the giving
would benefit humanity.



JACOB BELLER.



Jacob Beller, a native of Switzerland, the only Republic at the
time in Europe, was born in Moosackn, in Homburg, May lo, 1824.
He was the son of Jacob Beller, or Bachler (so spelled formerly), and
Maire (Stauffer) Beller, or Bachler. His father was born June
24, 1796, and his mother, October 17, 1800. His grandfather,
Hans Bachler, was born near Wasseldon, Switzerland, and his
grandmother, Anna Waber, at Baucher Schwar, Switzerland. Jacob
Beller is a citizen of Buchholerburg (meaning a mountain), in
the Oberaut, (or bailiwick or town, in English), of Staufferburg. He
was baptised in the church of that town, May 14, 1824. After attend-
ing the schools and acquiring a good business education, he, with his
parents, left his native town, June 12, 1844, for Havre de Grasse, and
there took passage on the good ship Havre de Grasse, Captain
Thompson, master, for New York, July 4th, 1844. They reached the
latter city August, 13 1844.

Mr. Beller, after remaining a short time at New York, proceeded
to Rochester, where he entered the employ of Messrs. Molson Brothers,
who were leather manufacturers, and also had large nurseries.
September 24, 1847, he married Janet Allan, whose acquaintance he
had made three years before. She was born near Glasgow, Scotland,
in September, 1820. She died January 29, 1861. He had by her four
children: Jacob W.,'who died in California, December 10, 1875; Jt^sse,
who married Jacob Haller, and now lives in British Columbia; John,
who is now engaged in business at Sioux City, Iowa; and Marion, who



— 295 —

now resides at Three Rivers, Michigan, where she has erected a
church of the Free Methodist denomination, and where she devotes
her time to its affairs, preaching, taking care of the poor, and other
works of a charitable character. She is ( judging from her letters), a
cultivated and highly educated lady, and has consecrated her life to the
work of the church.

Mr. Beller removed from Rochester, N. Y., to Detroit, in 1852-
He engaged in business tirst on Monroe avenue. He subsequently
erected the fine brick building on State street, which he still owns.
Mr. Beller married the second time Magdalena Keller, by whom he
had one son, Frederick. He is now farming in California.

Mr. Beller is well known in the city and throughout the State, as
having devoted his money and energy in establishing pleasure gardens
and rural places of resort. His present enterprise is on the bank of
the river, nearly opposite the bridge approach to Belle Isle Park, and
consists of bath houses for swimming, with a frontage of five hundred
feet on the river. A regular swimming master is permanently engaged,
and the art is scientifically taught. The grounds are laid out tastefully^
and afford accommodation for three thousand six hundred people. The
bath house proper has a capacity for five hundred persons, and is the
most complete bathing establishment is this country, costing, with the
pier running into the river, over ten thousand dollars, the entire outlay
for it, the gardens and buildings exceeding one hundred and ten
thousand dollars. The land cost forty-six thousand dollars. Mr. Beller
has done much, and been faithful in providing for the pleasure of the
public, and has an institution of which Detroit feels justly proud. That
it is fully appreciated is evidenced by the liberal patronage bestowed
upon it by its citizens.



JOHN S. NE WBERRT.

" The care of National commerce, the fostering of those enterprises which tend to
develop natural resources and the encouragement of hotne manufacturing industries,
redound more to the riches and prosperity of the public than any other act of our gov-
ernment. "

Such was the sentiment expressed and practically demonstrated
by the subject of this sketch in his public and private life.

In respect to his public life, it was exceedingly unfortunate for the
First Congressional District, that he withheld his consent to serve a
second term in Congress, as his last effort in that body furnished the
evidence as to his profound knowledge of the kind of legislation
needed to command the respect of other nations for our commercial
rights. The principles enunciated and the logical manner of their pre-
sentation gained for him the commendation and recognition of not only



— see-
the statesmen of his own, but also that of other nations, and furnished
the basis of adjustment for questions which had long vexed the wisdom
of legislators at home and abroad.

But while his desire to have these principles embodied in a funda-
mental law to govern the action of our government was strong, yet
there were so many distasteful details connected with the life of a
congressman, which, together with his extensive business enterprises
requiring his attention, induced him to withdraw from public life and
devote his time to the development of industries, which, perhaps, have
contributed as much in promoting the interests of the general public of
his own State as he could have done had he continued in Congress.

Some one has said, " A writer of lives may descend with pro-
priety to minute circumstances and familiar incidents." The object of
the Wayne County Pioneer and Historical Society in publishing these
sketches is to preserve the record of those men who in their life's acts
and deeds have done so much for the State in securing its present
prosperous condition, and hence, employing the license given us, we
proceed to detail the various events and transactions connecting the
subject of this sketch with the moral, educational and material growth
of our city and State.

Hon. John Stoughton Newberry was a descendant of Thomas
Newberry, who removed from England and settled in the Province of
Massachusetts, near what is now Dorchester. On the maternal side
his ancestors were of the Phelps family, from whom sprang the Hon.
Edward J. Phelps, of Vermont, ex-Minister to England. His father,
Elihu Newberry, and his mother, Rhoda Phelps, were born and mar-
ried at Windsor, Connecticut, from whence they removed to Water-
ville, Oneida county. New York, where the subject of this sketch,John
Stoughton Newberry, was born November i8th, 1826. He removed
with his parents to Detroit in 1835. They subsequently removed to
Romeo, Michigan, where he attended a branch of the Michigan Uni-
versity and prepared for college under the tutorship of the late Charles
W. Palmer, of Pontiac.

Mr. Newberry entered the sophomore class of the University at
Ann Arbor, and graduated as valedictorian at the age of eighteen, and
at once engaged in the practical work of surve3'ing and engineering
with the late Colonel J. M. Berrien, then chief civil engineer of the
Michigan Central railroad. He continued two years in this work, and
after a year spent in travel, entered the law office of VanDyke &
Emmons, commenced the study of law, was admitted to the bar in
1853 and at once entered active practice, making admiralty a specialty.
Perhaps there were few attorneys who were as well prepared for the
practice of this branch of law as Mr. Newberry. He was not only
famihar with the laws applying, but also with the science of managing



— 297 —

and sailing a vessel, and the laws of navigation. His practice extended
and he soon had cases in every United States Court in the northwest.
His work on admiralty cases arising on the northern and northwestern
lakes and rivers is extensively quoted and used as reference.

In 1862 was the period when his sagacity led him to demonstrate
that the prosperity of a nation and its road to substantial wealth lay in
the encouragement and establishment of manufacturing industries. The
manufacturing of railroad cars was established on Third street, but
from some cause was in a languishing condition. Mr. Newberry was
impressed with the belief that the business should be made a success,
and associating with him the Hon. James McMillan, the Michigan Car
Company was organized, which from an enterprise employing fifty
men, now averages fifteen hundred. This led to the organization of the
following: The Detroit Car Wheel Company, the Fulton Iron and En-
gine Works, the Baugh Steam Forge Works, the Detroit Railroad Ele-
vator, The Iron Star Company, The Vulcan Iron Company, and the
organization of a company for the construction of the Detroit & Mar-
quette railroad; besides, he was one of the principal stockholders in
several other manufacturing enterprises. His interests in these necessi-
tated his withdrawal from the practice of his profession. While these
enterprises added to his personal wealth, thousands have participated
in the results of the energy and foresight which initiated their inaugur-
ation and successful management. The great benefit to the State in
the rapid development of its resources, through the agencies thus
established, can hardly be estimated, and we leave it for the imagi-
nation of the reader to determine what the condition of Michigan and
the city of Detroit would have been had they not existed.

The only public position held by Mr. Newberry, aside from that
of member of Congress, was that of provost marshal for Michigan, to
which he was appointed by President Lincoln in 1862, and which, at
the end of two years, he resigned. We have already alluded to the
service rendered by him while a member of Congress. Foreign, as
well as the public journals of our own country, have paid more than
ordinary deference to the views, policy and measures advanced and
advocated by him.

Mr. Newberry, in his religious convictions, was a Presbyterian,
and while doing much for that denomination, we venture the assertion
that there is not a church or an educational or benevolent institution in
the city of his adoption but has been the beneficiary of his gener-
osity. To specify, or attempt to individualize the many ways and
numerous objects for which Mr.Newberr}'- has disbursed his accumula-
tions, would partake of fulsomeness. No better index to the personal
character of Mr. Newberry can be written than the following. The
occasion was the almost entire destruction, by fire, of the organ, and
19



— 298 —

much of the inside work of the Memorial church. While discussing
the disaster, this note was placed in the hands of the Rev. D. M,
Cooper : "Mindful of the damage to your beautiful chapel this morning,
and remembering the bo3'hood and college days you and I spent
together, and that this Memorial church on its dedication day shall be
free from any debt, will you allow me to pay for the repairs that may
be necessary. Yours, as ever, in love and fellowship,

[Signed] John S. Newberry."

In 1855 Mr. Newberry married Harriet Newell Robinson, of
Buffalo. She died in 1856, leaving one son. He married again, in
1859, Miss Helen Handy, of Cleveland. Two sons and one daughter
are the fruits of this latter union.

Mr. Newberry departed this Hfe at Detroit, January 2, 1887.



IRA MATHEW.



Ira Mayhew, LL. D., was born in Ellisburg, Jefferson county,
N. Y., in the year 1814. He is a lineal descendant of Thomas Mayhew,
Governor and patentee of Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket and Elizabeth
Isles, who commenced a settlement at Edgertown, Martha's Vineyard,
in 1642, and was a clergyman of note, as were many of his descendants,
the sacerdotal order, in fact, continuing unbroken in this family upwards
of one hundred and sixty years. Ira's parents, Wadsworth Mayhew
and Anna Cooper Mayhew, both of Cambridge, Washington county,
N. Y., were married in 1805, and removed a few years after to Jeffer-
son county, in the same State. The subject of this sketch was the
fourth of a family of seven children, of whom himself and his youngest
sister are the only survivors. He attended the common schools of the
country, and pursued a course of study at Union Academy, Belleville,
in his native town. In 1832, at the age of eighteen, he was employed
to teach school in the district where he was born. Teachers, like poets,
are born, not made, and he thus early showed his aptitude for this line
of work. Being interested himself, he secured the interest and conse-
quent advancement of his pupils. So successful was he that, contrary
to the usual custom, he was retained for the summer school also.

At the conclusion of this engagement, he went west, spending a
year in Detroit, Michigan, and Perrysburg, Ohio, teaching and survey-
ing. Returning, he resumed the work of teaching in his native county.
In the summer of ,1836, his health having become impaired, he took an
ocean voyage to the banks of Newfoundland, but engaged again in
teaching on his return.

In 1839, ^^ received the appointment of Common School Visitor for



— 299 —

his native county. His effective work here, in connection with his suc-
cess as a teacher, was such that when, in 1841, as the result of the
labors and reports of these visitors, the first provision in this country
was made for county superintendents of schools, he received the
appointment to this position in Jefferson county, where he rendered
siirnal service to the cause of education.

In November, 1843, Professor Mayhew removed with his family
to Monroe, Michigan, where he soon engaged in teaching, the Board of
Regents of the University constituting his school a branch of the Uni-
versity.

Hardly a year elapsed before he was nominated by Governor John
S. Barry for State Superintendent of Public Instruction. This nomina-
tion was confirmed by a concurrent vote of the Senate and House of
Representatives in joint convention, and in March, 1845, Mr. Mayhew
entered upon the duties of the office. Two years later, nominated by
Governor Alpheus Felch, he was re-elected for a second term.

In this broader field of work than he had before occupied, he
showed himself equal to the occasion, working not merely, or even
chiefly, with schools and teachers, but undertaking with abundant suc-
cess, to influence public opinion, and interest the people of the State in
the improvement of the schools of the State. At this time the State
University had not graduated a class, its work having been of necessity,
chiefly academic. No normal school had been provided, nor had
teachers' institutes been organized in the State.

After a survey of the situation, and upon careful investigation and
consideration, he arranged for a series of public meetings to be held at
various points through the State. As the M. C. R. R. at that time
extended only from Detroit to Marshall, the M. S. R. R. from Monroe
to Hillsdale, and the D. & M. R. R. from Detroit to Pontiac, (and
there were no other railroads in the State), he was compelled to make
many of his tours on horseback. He travelled thus for over five hun-
dred miles, with almost daily appointments for a period of six weeks or
more. This laborious undertaking was productive ;^of great good,
awakening a general and lively interest in the cause of education
throughout the State. Later, he arranged and conducted a series of
teachers' institutes entirely without State aid. In numerous instances,
persons walked five or six miles to attend his lectures, and teachers
came from fifteen to twenty miles to attend the institutes, where the
only modes of travel were on foot and by carts or wagons drawn by
oxen. These institutes had an aggregate attendance of several hun-
dred young men and women, teachers, or persons preparing to teach.
Superintendent Mayhew himself lectured and taught in all of them, and
was ably assisted by Professor A. S. Welch, since Principal of the State
Normal School (not then established), and later President of the Iowa



— 300 —

Agricultural College, and U. S. Senator from Florida, to fill vacancy,
and by others. Among the teachers in attendance who have since
become prominent in the educational work of Michigan and the
country, are Professor J. M. B. Sill, formerly City Superintendent of
Schools in Detroit, and now Principal of the State Normal School;
Professor Joseph Estabrook, since prominent as a teacher and educator,
and now our able Superintendent of Public Instruction; and Hon.
Edwin Willets, who has recently been both Principal of the Normal
School and President of the Agricultural College, and now of the
Department of Agriculture, Washington, D. C.

Mr. Mayhew, in his reports, recommended the establishment of a
Normal School, and the extending of State aid to Teachers' Institutes.
He also thus early called the attention of the Legislature and of the
Board of Regents to the fact that the terms upon which the grant of
lands by Congress for the establishment of the University was made,
and their acceptance by the State, required that that institution be
opened to women as well as to men, the grant being for no one sex,
but for the benefit of the people of the State generally. During these
two terms of oflice. Superintendent Mayhew dedicated, at Jonesville,
the first Union school house built in the State, and aided in the organiz-
ation of the first pubhc school organized on the Upper Peninsula.

In January, 1849, Superintendent Mayhew, by invitation of the
Legislature, delivered several lectures on Education, and the Michigan
School System, in the Representatives' Hall, which the House and
Senate by resolution invited him to prepare for publication in book
form, embodying with them such other matter as in his judgment
would tend to the improvement of our system of public instruction.
The following year he therefore devoted to the preparation of this
work, which, under the title, " Means and Ends of Universal Educa-
tion," has for many years been a volume of the Teachers' Library, pub-
lished by A. S. Barnes & Company, of New York.

Being convinced that our common schools should prepare boys
and girls for the common avocations in which the majority of them
would inevitably engage. Professor Mayhew now prepared an elemen-
tary Book-keeping, which he believed would give additional interest
even to the study of the three " R's," besides better fitting the rising
generation for their future duties in life. The favor with which this
little book was received showed the wisdom of his conclusions. Up to
this time book-keeping had not been an authorized school study, even
in the city of New York, our commercial emporium; but this work was
largely instrumental in introducing this subject both there and else-
where, until at the present day it is almost universally taught.

In the fall of 1853, Mr. Mayhew was elected Principal of the
Albion Seminary (now Albion College). This is the first and only



— 301 —

instance of the election of a layman to this position. He was connected
with this institution only about fifteen months, for on the organization
of the Republican party in 1854, ^^ ^^'^^ again nominated for Superin-
tendent of Public Instruction, which position he again held for two
terms. In his last election he received the largest majority on the
State ticket.

In 1859, ^^ ^^^ close of his term of office, Mr. Mayhew engaged
for a time in a private banking business. In i860 he also organized
and took charge of the Albion Commercial College. In March, 1863,
he received from President Abraham Lincoln the appointment of Col-
lector of Internal Revenue for the Third District of Michigan, and later
was also made Receiver of Commutation Moneys. He, however, con-
tinued the care of his College, and after closing his labors for the
Government, engaged in the preparation of a large work on book-
keeping and business, especially adapted to the needs of Business
Colleges. This was published in 1867, and the following year he
removed his College to Detroit, continuing in charge of it until 1883,
thus devoting twenty-five years to business college work after retiring
from his ofiicial connection with the public schools.

In 1878, the leading business college men of the country formed an
association for the improvement of these valuable institutions, of which
the Hon. Ira Mayhew was chosen first president, and in which he con-
tinues to take an active interest.

In 1884, after retiring from the care of a college, he prepared and
published another volume on book-keeping, presenting a short, strong
course for graded and high schools. In 1888, his most comprehensive
work on this subject, for colleges and the counting-room, was pub-
lished, which is received with unprecedented favor.

Although Professor Mayhew engaged at an early day in teaching,
with only an academic education, his earnest and successful work as a
teacher and school officer brought him, in 1848, the degree of A. M.
from a New England university. Continuous and fruitful labors in
these lines, and his valuable educational publications, in 1876, brought
him the degree of LL. D.

Dr. Mayhew was married in 1838 to Adeline Sterling, daughter of
Joseph and Emilia Sterling, of Adams, N. Y. Mrs. Mayhew died in
the autumn of 1887, in the fiftieth year of their married life, as they
were anticipating celebrating their golden wedding. The Doctor,
although now well advanced in years, retains his interest in both the
public schools and business colleges, to which he has devoted his life,
and can usually be found in their annual meetings, considering with
unabated enthusiasm all plans for educational improvement. Since
early life he has been an active and consistent member of the M. E.
Church, and an earnest worker in the cause of temperance.



— 302 —

MARTIN GEIGER.

Martin Geiger was born in Angelica, N. Y., May 2, 1815, and has
been a resident of Detroit since 1833. Was married to Ann Elizabeth
Christian, May 3rd, 1838. Was for many years engaged in the print-
ing business, latterly in the wholesale selling of stoneware, glassware
and crockery. He had an extensive trade in the United States and
Canada, and was recognized as an enterprising, honest, straightforward
man, by all who knew him, and was much esteemed by his fellow citizens
of Detroit. He lived to see the rapid and substantial growth of Detroit,
from a village of 6,000 to a city of 250,000 in population.

He died January 29th, 1884, leaving his wife, Ann Elizabeth, and
one daughter to survive him. (After the above was^written, the com-
piler was informed of the death of Mrs. Geiger, which occurred May

24, 1889.)



AUGUSTUS D. BORDENO.

The subject of this memoir belonged to one of the old French
families of Wayne county, his ancestors emigrating directly from
France at an early period. He was the very soul of honor, of great
energy and earnestness in action, and a man whose word could not be
questioned.

Mr. Bordeno was born in Detroit, January 3d, 181 1, and from
youth to manhood was subjected to the privations and hardships inci-
dent to frontier Hfe, and therefore his education was limited, so far as a
knowledge of books was concerned.

He served during the Mexican War as orderly sergeant in Com-
pany " D," Fifteenth Regiment Michigan Infantry, and at its close was
discharged with high commendations for his courage and honest pat-
riotism as a brave soldier.

When the call for troops was made in 1861, he was one of the first
to tender his services in support of the government, and enlisted in the
First Michigan Cavalry under Colonel Thornton F. Brodhead. His
son, John A. Bordeno, who was born in Delray, October nth, 1842,
was also a member of this regiment. Both served until disabled, when



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 32 of 51)