Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 33 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 33 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


they were honorably discharged.

Sergeant A. D. Bordeno married Miss Victoria LeFaux, by whom
he had twelve children, of whom John A. was one. The latter married
Miss Rosa Dupre Wells, June T3th, 1868, and still lives at Delray. He
also is a stirring, ^energetic man of high sense of honor and strict
integrity.

Sergeant A. D. Bordeno died January 3d, 1884.



— 303 —

WILLIAM A. BUTLER.

The following is an extract from the Detroit Tribune :

" William A. Butler, the well-known Detroit banker and financier,
was born at Deposit, N. Y., some seventy-six years ago, worked three
years in a wholesale dry goods establishment in New York city and in
a retail store at Northampton, Mass., for two years, and came, a single
man, to Detroit in 1836. He engaged in the dry goods business on
Jefferson avenue, being associated at first with Darius Lamson, now
long deceased, under the firm name of Lamson & Butler. Of a lively
disposition, Mr. Butler was a good-looking young man, as he is now a
good-looking and well-preserved old gentleman, with white hair and
mustache, and was a favorite among the younger members of that
early Detroit society, masculine as well as feminine.

" Among his feminine acquaintances was an estimable young lady
of Ypsilanti who, many years ago, went over to join the silent majority,
and often on a Saturday night, and at other convenient times, the rising
young business man boarded one of the great stage coaches, which at
that period, before the railroad era, formed the only means of com-
munication between the metropolis and the thinly-settled interior of the
Territory and State, and went down to call on her.

" It was on the occasion of one of these visits to Ypsilanti that Mr.
Butler formed the acquaintance of another young lady, nineteen years
old and pretty, from the town of Adams, Jefferson county. New York,
who was visiting in the family of Dr. Millington at the Normal school.
Her name was Miss Mary A. Harter, daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Frederick Harter, of Adams, and the acquaintance thus formed was
continued by correspondence after the young lady returned to her New
York home. The result was that after a years' courtship, Mr. Butler
made preparations for one of the three events which are accounted the
most notable in human life, and left Detroit one day, being united in
marriage with Miss Harper at Adams, September 12th, 1839.

"The young married couple took up their residence, on reaching
Detroit, on Congress street, between First and Cass streets, next to
where Frederick Buhl resided. Mr. Butler's partner in the dry goods
venture retired and he conducted the business alone for some time.
He was, however, a believer in the fatalistic doctrine as applied to the
occupation which men shall follow during life, and had become con-
vinced that nature had equipped him for financiering, instead of for the
dry goods trade. He was for two years silent partner with the late A.
H. Dey in a private bank, and in 1849 he started in the banking busi-
ness for himself, the firm name being Bailey & Butler at first and after-
ward William A. Butler.

"In 1870 he organized the Mechanics' National Bank in this city, of



— 304 —

which, with headquarters in the Butler Block, which he built at 82 and
84 Woodward avenue, he has been president ever since. For twenty
years he has been a stockholder in the Detroit Fire and Marine Insur-
ance Company, and for the past five years has been president of the
corporation. His first home on West Congress street was occupied
but about a year, and he has since built three residences at different
times and in different portions of the city. His present elegant and
commodious home on the corner of Lafayette avenue and Third street
was begun in 1873 ^^^ ^^^ been occupied by him since 1875. Mr. and
Mrs. Butler's children are three in number, Edward H., William A., Jr.,
and Frederick E. Butler, all of whom have attained recognition as men
of ability in Detroit banking circles.



JOHN C. HOLMES.



John C. Holmes the eighth president of the State Historical and
Pioneer Society, was born in Salem, Massachusetts, Sept. 29th, 1809.
He obtained his education at the public and grammar schools of his
native town. At the age of 26 he decided to find a home in the west,
and after a tedious journey by stage, he arrived in Detroit on the 5th
day of March, 1835. He immediately entered the employment of John
and Mason Palmer, with whom he remained until 1840, when, John
and Mason Palmer having dissolved, Mr. Holmes entered into partner-
ship with John, which firm continued until 1853. While Mr. Holmes
was still in the dry goods business, having a taste for horticulture, he
had planted a nursery near the city limits, and on retiring from mer-
chandising he gave his whole attention for a number of years to horti-
cultural pursuits. In 1847 he was elected president of the Detroit Hor-
ticultural Society, and became the editor of the horticultural department
of the Michigan Farmer. In 1849 he suggested the organization of the
Michigan State Agricultural Societ}^ and became its secretary, serving
it in that capacity until 1857. While secretary of the State Society, he
conceived the idea of establishing a State Agricultural College, indepen-
dent of all other institutions of learning. The idea was put in form by
petitioning the Legislature, which resulted in the passage of an act for
establishing, and making an appropriation, for the purchase of a farm
and the construction of buildings. The college was dedicated and
opened for students May 15th, 1857. Mr. Holmes was appointed
treasurer and professor of horticulture. He was president of the State
Horticultural Society from 1854 ^*^ ^^ST- ^^ 1873 ^^ became a mem-
ber of the Wayne County Historical Society, and was its president from
1882 until his death, which occurred suddenly December i6th, 1887.
Professor Holmes was a man of kind and equitable temperament, unos-



— 305 —

tentatious in manner, but of great firmness of character, governed in its
exercise, however, by a due regard for the opinions and rights of others
after careful deliberation. He died enjoying the confidence and respect of
all who knew him, for his strict integrity, his high morality, his sound
judgment and his intellectual capacity.



RICHARD H. HALL.



" He possessed penetration, industry, courage, vigilance, and large benevo-
lence. " — Hume.

" His office was to give entertainment,
And lodging to all that came and went. " — Spence.

Richard H. Hall was born at Troy, in the State of New York, in
1816. He was English in descent, and as a boy his educational advan-
tages were limited. He, however, would seem to have improved them,
as at the age of twenty he possessed a good business education.

After spending some time in Auburn, New York, in 1836 he came
to Detroit and immediately engaged in the grocery business, and soon
began to extend his trade beyond the limits of the city, as we find that
the building he occupied soon became too small, and always having a
preference for brick, he erected the first brick store on the north side
of Woodward avenue, near the river, which he occupied for a number
of years as a wholesale and retail grocery store. Subsequently he
built a store on the corner of Woodward avenue and Congress street,
where he continued to do business for a number of years. In 1856, he
being compelled to take a quantity of land in Springwells for debt, and
finding the soil to be clay, and as it seemed to him good for nothing
else, started the manufacture of brick. This he continued until his
death. Meantime having sold out his grocery business he turned his
attention to the making of brick and the construction of buildings. In
his brick business the first four years he made only three or four mil-
lion per year, but by 1880 his average was over twenty millions and he
had erected fine brick blocks in several parts of the city. His business
in the wholesale grocery trade gave him an extensive acquaintance all
over the State. Governor Baldwin was at that time engaged in the
wholesale boot and shoe trade and Z. Chandler in the dry goods.
After the fall trade was over the three would start together over the
State on collection tours among their customers, and we have listened
for hours to the relation of his experience with these gentlemen on
their annual trips. Sometimes one and then the other would get all
the money the customer had, and on their return they would average
up (as Mr. Hall termed it), that is, each would receive his proportion
of the entire collection made by the whole.



— 306 —

Mr. Hall was a regular attendant of St. Paul's Episcopal church,
and was very liberal in his gifts to it, as well as all other churches in
the city; and in all enterprises for the improvement of the city, whether
in rehgious, educational, or in material growth, ever found him an
active and generous supporter.

He was not a seeker for political favor, although identified with
the Republican party and never withholding his aid. He was as ready
to condemn a wrong measure or act committed by its partisans as of
those of the opposite party. He was very tenacious in his personal
friendships. The late Governor McClelland, Theodore Romeyn, A.
H. Frazer and C. C. Trowbridge were among his closest friends.

Mr. Hall was a member of the Pioneer and Historical Society.

In 1844 he married Miss Harriet S. Fullam, of Chelsea, Vermont.
They had eight children, four of whom are still living.

He departed this life at Detroit, April nth, 1886, leaving a wife
and five children to sorrow, and a large circle of personal friends to
mourn the loss of his presence.



WILLIAM P. GRIFFIN.

William P. Griffin was born in the city of Utica, N. Y.,' September
27th, 181 3. The father of Mr. Griffin, Augustus Griffin, was descended
from Welsh stock. His grandfather came from Wales to America
and his mother, whose maiden name was Rachel Curtis, was from
English ancestors.

Augustus Griffin, the father, died at Redford, Mich., January 30th,
1853, and the mother at the same place, October 13th, 1846. They left
six children ; a daughter, who married Eevi F. Johnson, who settled in
the township of Redford in the fall of 1832. Soon after the birth of
the subject of this sketch, his parents removed from Utica and located
at the following places respectively, in the State of New York:
Taburg, near Rome; Rotterdam, Oswego county, and in the town of
Constantia, where his father purchased a farm in 1820. In 1833 his
father decided to come to Michigan. Selling his farm he placed the
proceeds of the sale in a chest, which was subsequently lost and neither
it or its contents were ever found. Notwithstanding this he, with his
family, started for the west, landing in Detroit July 20th, 1833. They
took a canal boat at Syracuse for Buffalo and a steamer for Michigan,
commanded by Captain Blake, across lake Erie. Spending a short
time in Detroit, his father hired a team and proceeded on their journey
to Redford, taking the old Chicago road as far as TenEyk's old stand,
and then the territorial to the tavern called the " Cramer House," and



— 307 ~

from thence north to the house of E. Dains. There being no
bridge over the Rouge they were compelled to leave their team and
cross on logs, as Mrs. Johnson lived a mile from Mr. Dains on the
opposite side of the river. The family remained with Mrs. Johnson
for a month, and the father, purchasing eighty acres of land near by,
built a log house and removed his family into it.

In those early days they were called upon to endure many hard-
ships and privations, but withal were happy in the expectation of soon
making a home.

The woods were full of game and the monotony and disabilities
incident to their frontier life was relieved by hunting and fishing. Mr.
Griffin relates that on one occasion, while going to his sister's, he
encountered a pack of seven wolves. Although he had his rifle he did
not dare to shoot, for fear that if he wounded one it would make the
rest more likely to attack him, so he quietly walked away.

In the winter of 1838 Mr. Griffin taught school, which he con-
tinued to do every winter for several years thereafter. January 3d,
1841, he married Miss Mary A. Simmons, who bore one daughter and
one son. Both are living. In 1844 he bought, of Harry Dains, a farm
of eighty acres, which he still owns.

In the spring of 1846 he was elected a justice of the peace, and
was re-elected, and served as such, five terms. In 1859 Peter Fralick,
then sheriff, made him his deputy. In 1861 his wife, Mary A. Sim-
mons, died. April 30th, 1869, he married Mrs. Mary Delamater. She
was the youngest sister of Col. Henry Barnes and died February i8th,
1870, leaving a son and daughter, who are still living. In 187 1 he
married the third time. Miss Mary A. Gleason. She died October 23d,
1886, leaving no children.

Mr. Griffin is a man of intelligence and integrity and enjoys the
confidence and respect of all who know him. He is at present living
in Detroit, going to his farm occasionally.



HIRAM GRANGER.



We learn that there was a man named " Hiram " whom Solomon
relied upon for devising and superintending the building of the temple.
It is said that his abilities were not confined to building only, but
extended to all kinds of work, whether in gold, silver, brass or iron, and
as an architect, founder or designer, he excelled all others. He was a
man of untiring energy and perseverance, full of resources for every
emergency, and never discouraged.



— 308 —

Hiram Granger has exemplied in his life that he possesses some of
the characteristics credited to him from whom his christen name is
derived.

Thrown upon the world at an early age to carve his own w^ay, he
learned to depend upon himself. His boyhood and early manhood was
spent in Ohio. He w^as born at Deerfield, Portage county, Ohio, on
the 2 2d day of February, 1813. His father, Thaddeus Granger, was
born in Suffield, Connecticut, in the year 1757, and moved first to
Greenville, second to the Territory of Ohio, or New Connecticut, as
then called, and his mother, whose maiden name was Julia Manley, was
born at Granville, Mass., about the year 1780. They were married at
Granville, Mass., in 1805, and had five sons and one daughter born to
them. Hiram, the subject of this sketch, was the second son. Util-
izing the meager educational opportunities afforded him, he acquired a
fair English education. Soon after reaching his majority he married
and came to Michigan in the year 1839, locating on a wild farm in the
county of Macomb. With his own hands he erected his first dwelling
and cleared his farm, but farming being not congenial, at the end of six
years he came to Detroit and engaged in the tobacco trade with Isaac
Miller. Soon after his arrival at Detroit he met for the first time John
J. Bagley, whom he took to Mr. Miller, where he found him employ-
ment in the business, which John J. Bagley continued to his death.

Mr. Granger's part of the business with Mr. Miller was traveling
with a team and selling tobacco from a wagon, through Michigan,
northern Indiana and Ohio. This he continued for four years, and then
traveled by cars until 1856, w^hen he, wdth Daniel Scotten and Wm. E.
Lovett, established the Hiawatha Tobacco Works. His connection
continued until 1862, when he sold out his interest, and then engaged
in banking under the firm name of Kellogg, Granger & Sabine. Mean-
while he organized what is now known as the Globe Tobacco Com-
pany, under the firm name of Walker, McGraw^ & Co. At the end of
eight years he disposed of his interest in this company and established a
factory of his own, know^n as the Granger Tobacco Works, the princi-
pal brand being the " Seal of Detroit." He continued to manufacture
this brand himself until just prior to the death of the late Governor
Bagley, when he consolidated with John J. Bagley & Company, which
arrangement still continues, he manufacturing the " Seal of Detroit " as
a specialty.



— 309 —

ALONZO LACET CHAPMAN.

Alonzo Lacey Chapman, one of the old pioneers of Wayne county,
died at his residence in Livonia, on September 19, 1883, at eleven
o'clock in the forenoon. He was attacked with a paralytic stroke in
April, 1882, but recovered from it enough to walk with the help of a
cane. He had been in his usual vigorous and robust health prior to
this stroke. A second attack occurred on the evening of Thursday,
September 13, 1883, ^"^ he lingered till his death, on the 19th. From
the moment of his second attack he gradually declined, his life going
out peacefully and painlessly.

Mr. Chapman was born in Stephentown, Rensselaer county,
N. Y., August 28, 1806. He was the youngest son of Zechariah Chap-
man, w^ho was born at East Haddam, Connecticut, and left there when
a young man, and settled in Stephentown, N. Y. His mother was
Annie Lacey, whose ancestors were also from East Haddam. Mr.
Chapman was of English extraction, being descended from Robert
Chapman, one of the first settlers of Saybrook, Connecticut. The line
of his descent is as follows :

Robert Chapman, the first settler in America, born about the year
1617, in the reign of James L, in Yorkshire, England.

Robert Chapman, Jr., born about the middle of September, 1646,
at Saybrook, Connecticut.

Robert Chapman, the third, was born April 19, 1675, ^^ Saybrook,
Connecticut; Caleb Chapman, born AugUvSt 21st, 1704, at East Had-
dam, Connecticut; Caleb Chapman, born April 19, 1732, at East Had-
dam, Connecticut; Zechariah Chapman, born February 29, 1761, at
East Haddam, Connecticut; Alonzo Lacey Chapman, born August 28,
1806, at Stephentown, New York.

The Chapman family is, therefore, as the above record shows, of
ancient origin, the branch to which Robert Chapman, the first settler in
this country, and the first of the name to settle in America belonged,
being located in the County of York, England.

The coat of arms of the family in England, valuable and curious
now only as a historic relic of the days of chivalry and knight errantry,
is described in the quaint language of that era as a " crescent, the crest
being a dexter arm embowed, habited in mail, holding in the hand a
broken tilting spear enfiled with a chaplet of laurel, with the motto :
'•Crescit sub fonder e virtus^ " — virtue increases under affliction.

Fifteen years after the Mayflower landed her heroic passengers at
Plymouth Rock, and in the month of August, 1635, this Robert Chap-
man, the first settler, left the city of Hull, in England, for the new
world, and landed at Boston, Massachusetts. On the third day of
November, 1635, in company with Lyon Gardiner, and being one of



— 310 —

the compan}' of twenty sent over by Sir Richard Saltonstall, he sailed
from Boston for Saybrook, and helped to establish the fort at that
place, and lived there for fifty years, dying October 13, 1687. When he
left England he was, as is supposed, about eighteen years of age. He
took an active and prominent part in the historic events which group
themselves by a chivalric and romantic association around the name of
Saybrook. He married Ann Bliss, April 29, 1642. He was a man of
influence in the town of Saybrook, and for many years held the office
of Town Clerk, and Clerk of the Oyster River quarter, and was
elected a representative to the Legislature at Hartford forty-three
times, and assistant nine times. The object of the expedition to Say-
brook sent by Sir Richard Seltonstall, was to take possession of a large
tract of land, and make settlements near the mouth of the Connecticut
river under the patent of Lord Say and Seal. After the Indians were
subdued, the settlers proceeded to clear up the forests and form a per-
manent settlement, and Robert Chapman settled on a large tract of
land in Oyster river, about two miles west of the old Saybrook fort,
and this land has descended in the line of the youngest son of each
family, never having been bought or sold out of the family, and is now
occupied, or was until recently, by Hon. George H. Chapman, the
youngest of the fifth generation. His parents were Puritans. There
is now on this farm a fashionable watering place and popular resort,
and advertisements speak of it as the Sea Shore Hotel, Chapman
strand, Saybrook, Connecticut, formerly Oyster River House, from
which it would appear that this old Puritan has left a home and record
to which his descendents look back with pride.

The records of the General Court at Hartford, Connecticut, show
that on October 3, 1654, an order was passed to fit out an expedition
against the Narragansett Indians. There is the following entry, quaint
in every particular, save in the brave, quiet determination which
breathes in every line and word : — " The Comittee, chosen by this
Courte to press men and necessaryes, in each Towne, for this Expedi-
tyon, in each Towne, till it be Ended, is as followeth "—and among
the names in the " Comittee " that " followeth " are : " For Seabrooke,
John Clarke & Robert Chapman, with the Maior," meaning Major
Mason. Other quaint and interesting records follow in quick suc-
cession. One at a general session held at Hartford called by the
Governor, July 6, 1665, contained the following:

" This Courte haveing by his Ma"" order been informed that
DeRuyter is likely to assault his Ma"*' colonies in these parts of the
world, and that it is ^his re gall pleasure, that his subjects here should
put themselves in a posture of defence agaynst the common adversary.
In pursuance thereof do order that each planta" in this colony should
consid of some way for the discovery of the approach of the enemy.



— 311 —

and that upon the discovery of the approach of the enemy they pre-
sently give notice thereof to ye committee appointed by the Courte,
who are to act therein according to the power committed to them by
this assembly."

One of "ye committee" was Robert Chapman, of Saybrook.
Again, at the General Court of Hartford, October 14, 1675: "Mr.
Robert Chapman is by this Courte appoynted Capt" of the Train
Band of Saybrook during these present commotions with the Indians."

The records of those early days are full of similar entries showing
that this, the " first settler " of the family in this country, braved his
full share of the dangers, and did his duty well in laying the founda-
tions for the future Republic of Liberty, and that in all that made for
the welfare of the infant colony he was the active and influential citizen.

Zechariah Chapman, the father of the subject of this sketch, was
born as the above record shows, at East Haddam, Connecticut, and
was the fifth child of Caleb Chapman, being one of a family of eighteen
children. He was a shoemaker at Stephentown, N. Y., at first, after-
wards, a farmer, and was a soldier three years in the Revolutionary
War. He was with Washington on the Hudson at the time of Arnold's
treason and the capture of Major Andre. He took the place of another
soldier who was ordered to another duty, and stood sentinel over
Andre the night before his execution, and often in relating the circum-
stance to his son, Alonzo, in after years, declared that Major Andre
was the handsomest man he ever saw.

The birthplace of Alonzo L. Chapman, was about three miles
north of Lebanon Springs, on the old VanRensselaer claim, and about
one mile from the Massachusetts State Line. Here he passed his boy-
hood and young manhood at work on the small farm his father owned,
and in teaching school. His longest term in teaching was eleven
months at the village of Sand Lake, in Rensselaer county, N. Y. He
was fond of narrating his hunting experiences on the Catskill moun-
tains, and his feats of skill with the rifle at shooting matches. While
engaging with all the ardor of youth in all the sports and exercises of
3^oung manhood, he was strictly temperate and of unimpeachable
integrity and morality.

September 22, 1830, he married Charlotte Cole, who survives him-
On the Saturday of the week he died he had intended to celebrate the
fifty-third anniversary of that event at the house of John G. Bennett,
one of his sons-in-law.

There were eight children born to them, five of whom are now
living, and six of these were present at his funeral, and followed him to
his last resting place. His children are given below, with the dates
and places of their birth :

Mary Orselia Chapman, born at Stephentown, N. Y., January 27,



— 312 —

1832, died at Stephentown, Februar}^ 17, 1836; Rosolthe Laura Gil-
more, wife of Alexander Gilmore, born at Stephentown, September 28,



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 33 of 51)