Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 35 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 35 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


keeper for Peter E. Demill, and subsequently with Messrs. Gardner &
Mather, crockery dealers, until January, 1843, when he formed a
partnership with the late Marcus Stevens, under the firm name of
Stevens & Zug, furniture dealers. The partnership continued until
1859, when Mr. Zug retired from mercantile life. In 1861 he was
appointed Deputy Collector of Customs, performing the duties of cashier,
and in 1873 was appointed, by Governor Bagley, one of the auditors of
Wayne county. In all religious, moral and educational enterprises he
was active and earnest in their establishment. In 1848 he was one of
the original organizers of the Second Presbyterian church and one of
the first ordained elders of the society now known as the Fort Street
Presbyterian.

In poHtics Mr. Zug was one of the first members of the Abolition
party of Michigan, and was a contributor to the Signal of Liberty, a
paper published by Guy Beckley, at Ann Arbor, in the interest of the
Abolition party. Afterwards he was chairman of the Free Soil State
Central Committee and supported James G. Birney for president in
1844, and when the Republican party was formed in 1854, he became a
member of its State Central Committee and has ever since been an
ardent supporter of the Republican party and its principles. In his
reUgious, public and business life, he was governed by those principles
taught by the parable of the laborer in the vineyard : " Friend, I do
thee no wrong; didst not thou agree with me for a penny? Is it not
lawful for me to do what I will with my own? Is thine eye evil
because I am good ? "

In 1843 Mr. Zug married Miss Anne Stead, daughter of Benjamin



— 322 —

Stead, who was associated with Stephen Mack, William Woodbridge,
Solomon Sibley and others in what was known as the Pontiac Land
Company, and who was one of the petitioners for the charter of the
Michigan University, and was a resident of Detroit in 1818.

Samuel Zug and Anne Stead Zug have one son, Robert M., born
in 185 1, and one daughter, Mrs. W. H. Nichols, of Indianapolis, Ind.,
born in 1849, who are still living.

Since the foregoing was written, Mr. Samuel Zug departed this
life December 26th, 1889.



MARCUS STEVENS.

The subject of this sketch, one of the oldest and most esteemed
citizens, came to Detroit in 1836, and departed this Hfe June 19th, 18S0.

Marcus Stevens was born in Steuben county. New York, Feb-
ruary 20th, 18 14. After acquiring a fair English education he learned
the cabinet makers' trade at Bath, N. Y. At the age of twenty-two he
came to Michigan, his first employer being the late James W. Tillman.
He subsequently established a business for himself and conducted it in
such a manner that his house became the most prominent in the State.
He associated with him Mr. Samuel Zug. This partnership continued
until 1859, when Mr. Zug retired. The year following Mr. Stevens
removed to the Coyle block, where he continued, taking active charge
until 1878, when, his health failing, he turned over his business to
Messrs. C. A. Brockway and F. G. Chidsey, who had control at his
death.

Mr. Stevens was the oldest surviving member of the Brady
Guards at his death, was a member of the Audubon Club and presi-
dent of the North Channel Fishing and Shooting Club.

Politically, Mr. Stevens was a strong Republican, but never sought
or held a public office. At his death he was a trustee of Grace Epis-
copal church.

None acquainted with Mr. Stevens but will remember his genial
manner— his countenance bearing the impress of sterling integrity
and high sense of honor. Many mourned his death. He left a wife
(his second) and two daughters, Mrs. Kate Robe, wife of Captain C.
F. Robe, Twenty-fifth United States Infantry, and Miss Helen E.
Stevens.



— 323 —

A. H. WILKINSON.

Albert Hamilton Wilkinson is by birth a Wolverine, having been
bom in the township of Novi, Oakland county, in the Territory of
Michigan, November 19th, 1834.

His father, James Wilkinson, was born in the State of New York.
The maiden name of his mother was Elizabeth Yerkes, born in Seneca
county, in the State of New York. They were married near North-
ville, Mich. They had seven children; four only are living. His father
died February 3, 1872, and his mother in 1863.

Judge Wilkinson, the subject of this sketch, worked on his father's
farm during the summer and attended school during the winter. At
the age of fifteen he commenced to prepare for college and for a time
attended the State Normal School at Ypsilanti. He taught school at
Lodi, Centerville and Ann Arbor while pursuing his studies. He
entered the University of Michigan in 1855, graduating in the literary
course in 1859. July 4th he married Miss Elvira M. Allen, daughter
of Henry Allen, deceased, of the town of West Bloomfield, Oakland
county, Michigan. During the winter of 1859-60 he attended the law
lectures at the University and was admitted to the bar in i860. He
commenced the practice of law at Pontiac, Michigan, but in the fall of
1861 removed to Detroit, opened a law office and soon acquired a good
practice.

Mr. Wilkinson was elected Judge of Probate in 1872. At the end
of his term he resumed his practice, associating with him Mr. Hoyt
Post, and since, under the firm name of Wilkinson & Post, has secured
an extensive practice, not only in Michigan but reaching to other
States. While the Judge has made law his specialty he has engaged
in several industrial enterprises tending to promote the material growth
of the city. His wife and himself are members of the First Baptist
church and take an active and prominent part in all movements directed
to the extension of its influence over its younger members and attend-
ants. Like all men possessing his temperament, he is earnest in
whatever he undertakes, and having, in early life, received a training
which inculcated an abhorrence of evil, he has the reputation of being a
Christian gentleman, a conscientious lawyer, a firm friend and an
upright and enterprising citizen.



GEN. CHARLES EARNED.

He was a man beloved by rich and poor alike. His death was
occasioned by exposure in the interests of humanity, furnishing an
instance of self-sacrifice seldom exhibited, either in ancient or modern



— 324 —

times. He left " a family, a city and a State in mourning." Such was
the tribute offered to the memory of the subject of this sketch, by the
late Hon. Charles C. Trowbridge. Charles Lamed was a native of
Pittsfield, Berkshire county, Mass.

Simeon Larned, his father, came to America when a youth, and
was high sheriff of Berkshire county when the Colonies declared their
independence, and during the war which followed, was colonel of the
9th regiment American Infantry, and aid-de-camp to George Washing-
ton.

At the close of the Revolutionary war, he, for a time, retired from
the army, but during the war of 1812 resumed command of his former
regiment, and participated in the battles of Flatbush and those on the
eastern frontier, while the subject of this sketch and his brother George
were on the frontier at Fort Wayne, River Raisin and Detroit.

Charles Larned was a graduate of Williams College, in 1806.
Studied law in the office of Henry Clay, and while a student was one
with Gov. Shelby and Col. Owen to engage in the organization of a
regiment in aid of Gen. Harrison, then in command of the western
frontier. This was the noted Kentucky regiment that was almost
destroyed at the River Raisin massacre, and was subsequently merged
into the regular army, and participated in the battle of the Thames.

Charles Larned was the custodian of the document signed by Gen.
Cass, Col. Brush, David Cooper and others, eighty in number, in which
they agreed to seize and depose Gen. Hull, and thus prevent his con-
templated disgraceful surrender of Detroit. Through some source
Hull was apprised of their intentions and frustrated their plan, by send-
ing Cass, Brush and Miller, with their commands, to meet an expected
convoy of supplies then on its way from Ohio. And history informs
us that on their way back they learned of the surrender, and the fact
that they and their troops were included as prisoners under its terms.

After the close of the war General Larned engaged in the practice
of law, and ranked with the most successful lawyers of the northwest.
He was Attorney General during the Black Hawk war, and with
Gov. Geo. B. Porter, conducted the negotiations which grew out of it.
He was the adviser and friend of Gen. Cass, and through him and
Gen. John R. Williams, the militia organization of Michigan was
reduced to a practical system for efficient work.

Gen. Larned became distinguished as a criminal lawyer, and was a
brilliant speaker. The poor and unfortunate, as well as the young law-
yer, always found a sympathizing friend and helper in Gen. Chas.
Larned.

He had passed through the cholera epidemic of 1832, but on its
return in 1834 ^^ ^^^^ ^ victim, owing to his indefatigable efforts to relieve



— 325 —

and alleviate its terrible distress and fatality to others, at one period
going without rest for 48 hours. Gov. Porter, a co-worker, was also
his companion in death.

Gen. Larned occupied and owned a cottage-residence and office on
the south side of Larned street (which takes its name from him) and
Woodward avenue.

In 1813 Gen. Larned married Miss Sylvia Easton Colt, daughter
of Capt. James and Miriam Colt, of Pittsfield, Mass. She was born at
Pittsfield, Mass., in 1796.

Gen. Larned died August 13th, 1834, ^"^ ^is wife died August
24th, 1845, aged 49 years.

Gen. Larned's family at his death consisted of Julia Colt Larned,
Jane Hereford Larned, Sylvester Larned, Catherine Jones Larned?
Mary Larned and Harriet H. Larned.



CHRONOGRAPHY - FOURTH PERIOD.



Fourth Epoch from the admission of the Territory as one of the
States of the Union to 1888.

1837. — Under the constitution of 1835, January 2d, the Legislature of
the State met at Detroit. The State officers were Stevens T.
Mason, Governor; Edward Mundy, Lieut-Governor; Kintzing
Pritchett, Secretary of State; Robert Abbott, Auditor General;
Henry Howard, Treasurer ; John D. Price, Superintendent of Pub-
lic Instruction; Marshall I. Bacon, Bank Commissioner. The
United States Senators were John Norvell and Lucius
Lyon. Member of Congress, Isaac E. Crary. The mem-
bers of the Legislature from Wayne; Jonathan D. Davis,
of Plymouth, and Conrad Ten Eyck, of Dearborn, State Senator.
Members of the House : Charles W. Whipple ; John Martin, of
Detroit ; Caleb Herrington, of Northville ; Job Smith of Van Buren;
Ammon Brown, of Nankin; and Geo. W. Ferrington, of Redford.
The Judiciary : Elon Farnsworth, Chancellor; John Winder, Regis-
ter; Wm. Fletcher, Chief Justice Supreme Court; Geo. Morrill
and Henry Ransom, Associate Judges; Daniel Le Roy, Attorney
General; John Winder, Clerk; Ross Wilkins, United States Dis-
trict Judge ; Daniel Goodwin, District Attorney ; Conrad Ten Eyck,
United States Marshal; Lucius Lyon and John Norvill, United
States Senators; Isaac E. Crary, Member Congress; John R. Wil-
liams, John Stockton and Joseph W. Brown, Major Generals in the
State Militia; John E. Schwarz, Adjutant General; John E. Winder,
Isaac S. Rowland, Marshall I. Bacon and George B. Martin,
Colonels; John Chester, Military Secretary. County Officers: C.
Moran and C. Howard, Associate Judges ; Geo. A. O'Keefe, Judge
of Probate; J. M. Wilson, Sheriff; T. E. Tallman, County Clerk;
Geo. R. Griswold, Register; Garry Spencer, Treasurer. Auction-
eers: Lemuel Goodell, Robt. Le Power, Alex. H. Stowell, Henry
Doty, James Stillson, Jonas Titus. Municipal Officers: Levi
Cook, Mayor; Geo. Byrd, Clerk; James A. Van Dyke, Attorney;
A. C. Caniff, Collector; A. E. Hanthon, Engineer; David
French, Treasurer; Noah Sutton, Superintendent of Hydraulic
Works; John W. Strong, B. F. H. Witherell, D. E. Hurbaugh,
Lemuel Goodell, Chas. Moran, Henry V. Disbrow, Justices
of the Peace; Oliver Newberry, Thomas Palmer, Julius Eldred,



— 328 —

Darius Lamson, John Farrar, David Cooper, John Owen,
Aldermen. Attorneys and Counsellors, of Detroit: G. Atter-
bury, M. I. Bacon, Bates & Talbot, Bates & Walker,

A. W. Buel, Geo. C. Bull, Henr}^ Chipman, Chas. Church-
man, Chas. Cleland, Geo. Corselleus, H. V. Disbrow, Fra-
zer & Stewart, Daniel Godwin, Geo. E. Hand, William Hale,
Harbaugh & Rowland, H. G. Hubbard, J. M. Howard, A. Lang-
ton, Meredith & McGruder, A. S. Misner, John Norvell, Geo. A.
O'Keefe, S. Pitts, A. S. Porter, R. E. Roberts, Theodore Romeyn,

F. Sawyer, T. F. Talbot, Chas. Tryon, Daniel F. Webster, A. S.
Williams, Williams & TenEyck, B. F. H. Witherell, Whipple &
Van Dyke, Woodbridge & Backus. Federal Officers at Detroit:
Andrew Mack, Collector of Customs; Sheldon M. Knight, Post-
master; Thomas Hunt, Register United Land Office ; Jonathan R.
Kearsley, United States Receiver; Henry Schoolcraft, Indian
Agent. Bank of Michigan: E. P. Hastings, President; H. K.
Sanger, Cashier; D. G. Jones, P. J. Desnoyers, James Abbot, H.
Whiting, B. F. Lamed, D. Lamson, Directors. Farmers' and
Mechanics' Bank: James Biddle, President; John A. Wells,
Cashier; Levi Cook, B. B. Kerchival, John Norvell, Geo. B. Mar-
tin, Henry V. Disbrow, Lucius Abbott, F. C. Mills, Jno. A. Wells,
Directors. Michigan State Bank: F. H. Stevens, President; Jno.
Norton, Jr., Cashier; T. B. Clark, J. Norton, Jr., H. H. Comstock,

G. Palmer, G. M. Williams, Franklin Moore, R. McMillen, John
Hale, Directors. Societies: Historical, Major Rowland, Presi-
dent; State Temperance, Marshall Bacon, President; John Owen,
Treasurer; J. S. Farrand, Geo. E. Hand, S. T. Mason, John Ches-
ter, A. S. Kellogg, Directors. Physicians and Surgeons- Wm.
Brown, Thos. Bradley, Francis Beckenridge, Marshall Chapin, T.

B. Clark, Hosea P. Crabb, E. M. Cowles, Daniel O. Hoit, Doug-
lass Houghton, Ebenezer Hurd, Robt. McMillan, Zina Pitcher,
Arthur L. Porter, Justin Rice, Randall S. Rice, Geo. B. Russell,
Abram Sayer, J. B. Scovil, J. Smead, Lewis F. Starkey,
Adrian R. Terry, Edward A. Theller. Surgeon-Dentists: J. S.
Ware, Mr. Cardell. Officers of the Detroit and St. Joseph Rail-
road: John Biddle, President; C. C. Trowbridge, Henry Whiting,
Oliver Newberry, J. Burdick, Shubael Conant, H. H. Comstock,
E. A. Brush, Mark Norris, C. N. Ormsby, Directors; John M.
Berrien, Chief Engineer; A. J. Center, Assistant; A. H. Adams,
Secretary and Treasurer. Pontiac and Detroit Railroad: Rus-
sell H. Hey wood. President; David Le Roy, David Paddock, S.
Hodges, G. O., Whitman, S. Close, Geo. Palmer, Chas. Hascall,
Sherman Stevens, Alfred Williams, Directors. Brady Guards,
Civil Officers: Col. John Winder, President; James A. Armstrong,
Secretary; A. T. McReynolds, Treasurer. Detroit Young Men's,



— 829 —

incorporated in 1830: Geo. E. Hand, President; Silas Titus, Vice-
President; Asher S. Kellogg, Corresponding Secretary; Francis
Raymond, Recording Secretary; David E. Ilarbaugh, Treasurer;
W. W. Denne, Auditor; John Chester, John L. Talbot, James A.
Van Dyke, A. T. McReynolds, James F. Joy, John S. Magruder,
A. S. Williams, Directors. State Medical Society: Dr. Daniel
O. Hoyt, President; Robt. McMillen, Vice-President; Edwin W.
Cowles, Secretary; Ebenezer Hurd, Treasurer; Marshall Chapin,
Zina Pitcher, Ebenezer Hurd, Robt. McMillen, Edward W.
Cowles, Censors. St. Phillip's College, Hamtramck: Right Rev.
Dr. Rese Bishop, Patron; Rev. John D. Bruyn, President.
Churches in Detroit: St. Ann's, Bishop Rese, Rector; Revs.
Francis Vincent Boden, T. A. Burnier, Mr. Kundig, Mr. Kopp,
C. Bowens, Curates ; Peter Godfroy, Lewis Beaufait, Charles Des-
noyers, Eustache Chapoton, Church Wardens. Trinity Church,
Michigan avenue, corner of Bates: Rev. Bernard O'Cavanagh,
Rector; Robt. Elliott, Roger Fitzpatrick, Michael Doran, Jno. Can-
eau, John Heffron, Wardens. St. Paul's, Woodward avenue:
Right Rev. Dr. McCorsky, Rector; H. M. Campbell, C. C. Trow-
bridge, Wardens. Baptist, Fort street: Rev. Robt. Turnbull,
Pastor; Wm. A. Cocker, Clerk; R. Ambrose, John Bloom, Dea-
cons. Presbyterian, Woodward avenue: Rev. John P, Cleve-
land, Pastor; E. P. Hastings, Justin Rice, B. F. Earned, Edward
Bingham, Horace Hallock, Robt. Stuart, C. G. Hammond, Elders ;
E. P. Hastings, B. F. Earned, Deacons. Methodist Episcopal
Church, Woodward avenue: Rev. E. Thomas, Pastor; Robt.
Abbott, Jerry Dean, John Owen, Newell French, Joseph French,
Stewards. German Lutheran, Monroe avenue : Rev. Mr. Schmead,
Pastor; Wm. Amheim, John Thurwacher, John V. Reule, Geo.
Graf, Frederick Butzer, Wardens. African Church, Fort street:
Supplied by ministers of other churches. Ladies' Orphan Associa-
tion. Instituted 1836. Mrs. C. C. Trowbridge, First Directoress;
Mrs. Robt. Stewart, Second Directoress; Miss E. S. Trowbridge,
Third Directoress; Rev. Mr. Turnbull, B. F. Earned, Henry
Whiting, E. P. Hastings, C. C. Trowbridge, Jerry Dean, Counsel-
ling Committee. Stage Routes: Western, via Territorial road;
Western, via Chicago Turnpike; Eastern, via Monroe; Boardman
Saltmast, Gilllie & Hughes, Jones & Brown, Robt. Forsyth,
Managers. Principal Hotels : American, Petty & Hawley, Jeffer-
son avenue; Michigan Exchange, A. Wales ; National, H. K. Han-
ing; Steamboat Hotel, B. Woodruff. January 26, Congress
passed the formal act constituting Michigan one of the States of the
Union, which has been designated as the fourth period of its history.
The first Anti-Slaver}^ Society organized in Michigan at Detroit.
Fire destroyed all the buildings on both sides of Atwater street and
23



— 330 —

warehouses on Bates street. March i8, Act founding the University
of Michigan, passed; also an Act on the 21st, authorizing a loan of
five million dollars for inland improvements. The Detroit and St.
Joseph Railroad Company sold their franchise to the State.
Population of Detroit, 9,763. Number of dwellings and stores,
1,300.

1838. — The Michigan University opened. The Michigan Central (for-
merly Detroit and St. Joseph railroad) opened to Ypsilanti, Feb-
ruary 3d. Judge James Witherell died. Specie pa3^ment sus-
pended under United States sub-treasury Act. Farmers' and
Mechanics' and the Old State Bank of Michigan suspend. The
Legislature passes a general banking law. Pontiac and Detroit
railroad completed to Royal Oak, twelve miles. General Scott
visited Detroit.

1839. — Slave riot occurred on account of the decision of Judge Wilkins,

holding that a fugitive from Mississippi should be returned.

Brady Guards called. The slave was subsequently purchased by

citizens and released. Michigan Central railway opened to Ann

, Arbor. Wards in city first constituted election districts.

1840. — Fire Department Association organized ; chartered by Legis-
lature February 14 . Robert E. Roberts, President ; Frederick
Buhl, Vice-President; E. R. Kearlsley, Secretary; Darius Lamson,
Treasurer, and E. Goodell, Collector. Great Whig mass meeting
at Detroit; D. E. Harbaugh and Geo. C. Bates, orators of the day,
Alex. H. Sibley, Marshal. Dr. Zina Pitcher was elected mayor
of Detroit and William Woodbridge, Governor. The subsequent
history of Wayne county and the prominent events connected
therewith, being illustrated in the biographical sketches of the men
of the present period, it is deemed superfluous to detail events
further, except as the}^ occur and are not connected with personal
incidents. All that will be attempted now will be to furnish data,
showing the general progress of Wayne county from 1840 to the
present period, as influenced by current collateral events or inci-
dents.

1841. — Mount Elliott Cemetery, in Detroit, purchased August 31st and
named after its projector, Robert Elliott. The remains of Colonel
Hamtramck were among the first deposited therein. The lowest
rain fall, of which there is any record, experienced this year.
Congress made the first appropriation to build Fort Wayne,
August 4th. The Bank of Michigan was compelled to assign. Of
the original I^oard of Directors DeGarmo Jones, James Abbott,
P. J. Desnoyers and D. Lamson, continued.



— 331 —

1842.— A fire broke out in a large warehouse between Bates and Ran-
dolph, which resulted in the destruction of all the buildings between
Jefferson and Woodward, on the west side of Woodward avenue,
including the New York and Ohio House. Cornelius O. Flynn
and Bela Hubbard were appointed commissioners to adjust claims
to lots in the old town destroyed by fire in 1805, as a land board
appointed by Congress. To enable them to locate the precise
sites occupied by the old town, according to the surveys of Thos.
Smith, only two points remained: the foundations of the old jail
on Wayne street and the Joseph Campau House on Jefferson ave-
nue. From these they were able to project the Smith map on the
map of the new city as laid out by the Governor and Judges.
Michigan Central railroad opened to Jackson. The fire above
referred to induced and promoted the organization of Phoenix
Company No. 5 (the name was changed in 1855 to Washington),
which made five fire companies in Detroit. Ex-President Martin
Van Buren visits Detroit.

i843.^Ex-Governor Mason died January 3d, in the city of New York.
Michigan Central railroad opened to Kalamazoo. Doctor Doug-
lass Houghton was drowned in Lake Superior, October 13th.

1844. — The first electric telegraph in the United States completed
between Washington and Baltimore, and the first message of a
public nature was the announcement of the nomination of James
K. Polk by the Democratic National Convention at Baltimore.
Geo. A. Hough, the veteran actor, rented the City Hall (not then
used for the meetings of the Common Council) and gave theatrical
entertainments. His leadin£f actor was W. G. Noah.



&



1846. — The population of Detroit was 12,000 at this time. Elmwood
Cemetery opened October 6th. Michigan Central Railway Com-
pany chartered and purchased the franchises and property from
the State, paying therefor the sum of two million dollars. It was
at this time opened to Kalamazoo. The Hon. James F. Joy was
the principal negotiator of the purchase and sale. The Lake
Shore and Michigan Southern railroad chartered this year. A
company under the management of Mr. Potter gave theatrical
entertainments at the City Hall. He succeeded G. A. Hough and
Isaac Merritt, who was subsequently known as Isaac Merritt
Singer. The first Michigan volunteers, from Detroit, leave for
the war in Mexico under the command of Col. Alpheus S. Will-
iams.

1847. — The last session of the Legislature in Detroit. The State
Capitol removed to Lansing. Chloroform first employed as an

anesthetic.



— 332 —

1848. — Fire destroyed Wales Hotel (Hull residence), Steamboat Hotel,
Howard's tavern and two hundred and fifty other buildings. The
first telegram was received at Detroit from New York. Michi-
gan Central railroad moved its depot to the foot of Third street.
Messrs. Parker and Ellis leased the lot directly opposite the
present Biddle House. WiUiam Burnett took the contract to erect
a theater, holding the lease as a lien. There being but few
theater goers in those days the investment did not pay, and Mr.
Burnett was compelled to take the property. Following its history
in this connection, it was sold to James Sherlock. He not mak-
ing it a success, sold to A. McFarland, who named it "The
Metropolitan." In 1858 McFarland transferred it to E. T. Sher-
lock. While under his control, Garry Hough and Miss Sally St.
Clair made a partial success of it, but in 186 1, Ed. Sherlock,
desiring to enter the army, sold to Mr. Charles Welch, who ran it
for a few years as The Varieties, when he sold and it is now a
livery stable. Detroit Tribune first issued November 19th.

1849. — Cholera broke out in Detroit. The average deaths were one a
day from July 9th to August i8th. Captain Chesley Blake the
veteran sailor, who volunteered to fight at the battle of Lundy's
Lane with Scott, and was the favorite captain of Oliver Newberry,
died at Milwaukee.

1850. — Police Court first established in Detroit. Fugitive slave bill
passed by Congress September 12. Henry Clay died January 29.

1852. — Land Grant Act passed for the construction of the Sault Ste.
Marie canal. The Michigan Central railroad completed to
Chicago.

1853. — Steamer Winfield Scott lost December 2d.

1854. — Cholera appeared at Detroit. The average deaths, two per
day, from May until September. The population was 40,000.

1857. — The Detroit, Monroe and Toledo railroad chartered April 26th.
October 15th, bank panic. All the banks except the Michigan



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 35 of 51)