Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 36 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 36 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Insurance Company's closed their doors. Father Mathew died
December 8th.

1858. — Detroit and Port Huron, branch of the Grand Trunk railroad,
chartered March 8th. The first cable telegram to Detroit. Torch
light procession on the occasion. The message "Europe and
America are united by telegraph. ' Glory to God in the highest,
on earth, peace and good will to men.' "

1859. — Raid of John Brown at Harper's Ferry, October i6th.

i860.— Abraham Lincoln elected President of the United States.
Laller, of Cincinnati, invented the steam fire engine.



— 333 —

i86i.— Steam fire engine first used in Detroit. Volunteer system
abandoned and the present pay system established. Fort Sumpter
fired upon by South Carolina troops April 13th. April 15th Presi-
dent issued a call for 75,000 volunteers. First Michigan Infantry,
General O. B. Wilcox commanding, leave for the seat of war May
13th. General Loomis' Battery leave Detroit for seat of war.
February 2nd, Legislature pass loyal resolutions. War loans sub-
scribed by Detroit, February 20th.

1862. Michigan Cavalry Brigade organized at Washington, Decem-
ber 12.

1863. — Riot occurred in Detroit; large number of houses inhabited by the
colored people destroyed by the mob, and several slain. The occa-
sion was the sentencing to imprisonment for life by Judge Witherell
of the colored man named Falkner, for rape. The Light Guard,
Lyon Guard, a company of United States Troops and Col. D. M.
Foxe's Regiment called to suppress it. First Draft riot in Detroit,
August 27. Great war meeting in Detroit. Draft riot in New
York City July 14.

1865. — Metropolitan Police organized February 28. General Lee sur-
renders to Grant April 9th. Freight depot M. C. R. R. burned
September 19th. President Lincoln assassinated April 14th.
Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution abolishing slavery rati-
fied December i8th.

1866.^ — General Cass died June 17. General Sherman visits Detroit
February 7 th.

1867. — Third Constitutional Convention assembled at Lansing, May
15th. Members from Wayne county: Robert McClelland, Daniel
Goodwin, Peter Desnoyers, William A. Smith, Jonathan Shearer,
William A. Warner, Geo. V. N. Lothrop, Peter Henkle and
William Purcell. Chas. M. Crosswell, President; Thomas H.
Glenn, G. X. M. Collier and T. P. Miles, Secretaries; D. B.
Purinton, Sergeant at Arms, and Seymour Foster, Postmaster.
The constitution as revised by this convention, on being submitted
to the people, was rejected by a vote 71,733 yeas to 110,583 nays.

1868. — Corner-stone new City Hall laid. Grant first nominated for
President.

1869. — First observance of Decoration Day in Detroit, May 29th.

1871. — New City Hall completed July 4th. Its length is 204 feet, width
ninety, three stories in height with basement and mansard roof
now makes the fourth story. The bell in the tower, weighing 7,600
pounds, cost $2,750; the cost of the clock, $2,850; the foundation of
the building cost $67,027; the building, proper, cost $489,914.13.



— 334 —

The entire cost of building, foundation and buildings, $551,346.
T. S. Anderson, architect; Osborn, contractor. The Historical
and Pioneer Societies of Wayne county consolidated. Levi
Bishop, President; Samuel Zug, Secretary.

1873. — Michigan Supreme Court removed from Detroit to Lansing,
April 2 2d. Steamer City of Detroit lost in Saginaw Bay, Decem-
ber 6th. Steamer Ironsides lost in Lake Michigan, September
15th. Canada Southern railroad chartered August 20th.

1875. — Destructive tornado at Detroit June 17. Detroit and Hillsdale
railroad chartered Januar}' 30.

1876. — Detroit and Lansing railroad chartered December 26.

1879. — Z. Chandler died at Chicago November ist.

1880. — Detroit and Bay City raikoad chartered February 30th. Chicago
and Grand Trunk railroad chartered April 7th. Flint and Pere
Marquette railroad chartered April 31st. Garfield nominated
May 9th.

1881. — Soldiers' monument completed July 19. President Garfield died
September 19th.

1883. — Detroit Journal founded September ist. Art Loan opened.

1886. — Ex-President Arthur died November 18. General Logan died
December 26. Soldiers' Home at Grand Rapids, dedicated
December 30th.

1888.— Roscoe Conkling died April 18th.



REV. GEORGE DUFFIELD, D. D.

Rev. George Duffield, D. D., the first of the name known as a
resident of Wayne county, was born at Strasburg, Lancaster county. Pa.,
July 4, 1794. He was a son of the Hon. George Duffield, at one time
Comptroller General of Pennsylvania, and the grandson of the Rev.
George Duffield, D. D., the eminent patriot and divine of the revo-
lutionary period, the father of whom emigrated from the North of
Ireland and settled at Octarara, Lancaster county. Pa., in 1725. He is
said to have been a man of " stern integrity and devoted piety," and
died at the age of eighty-four. Rev. George Duffield, the first, was
born at Pequa, Lancaster county, October 7th, 1732. He graduated
from Nassau Hall, Newark, Delaware, in 1752, and was first licensed
to preach by the Presbytery of Newcastle in 1756. In 1760 he was
the pastor of a church at Carlisle, Pa., and such was the reputation he
acquired there that he received calls from a number of more important
congregations, among them, to the Second Presbyterian church of



— 335 -

Philadelphia, which he declined. May 2Tst, 1772, he accepted a call
from the Third Presbyterian church of Philadelphia. During the
excitement immediately preceding the declaration of Independence he
took such a prominent part in favor of separating from the mother
government as made him obnoxious to official authorities, who, on one
occasion, attempted to close his church doors against him, but reaching
his pulpit through a window began his sermon, when a royal magis-
trate (J. Bryant) under pretence of quelling a riot, commenced reading
the Riot Act, commanding the people to disperse. Other means of
silencing the intruder failing, one of the officers of the church seized
him and bore him out of the house. Mr. Duffield then went on and
finished his sermon and the next day was brought before the mayor's
court and required to give bail for disturbing the peace. He refused
to give bail, when he was permitted to withdraw to take the matter
under consideration, with the assurance that he would soon be called
upon for his answer. The excitement as the news of the threat of his
imprisonment spread was intense, and the Paxton boys resolved to hold
themselves in readiness to march to his rescue.

When the Colonial Congress met, Dr. Duffield was its chaplain
until the British gained possession of Philadelphia, his church being
occupied by them as a stable. He accompanied the American army
and shared its hardships. As soon as circumstances permitted he
returned to his church and continued to be its pastor until his death,
which occurred February 2d, 1790. His remains were interred in the
middle aisle of the church of which he was pastor, and his funeral
sermon was preached by the Rev. Ashbel Green from Rev. xiv, 13.

Dr. Duffield, of Detroit, graduated from the University of Penn-
sylvania at the early age of sixteen, in 181 1, and entered the Theologi-
cal Seminary of New York, then in charge of the celebrated John M.
Mason, D. D., and at the end of four years was licensed to preach by
the Presbytery of Philadelphia. In 181 7 he married Miss Isabella
Graham Bethune, the daughter of Divie Bethune, Esq., of New York
City, and granddaughter of Isabella Graham, whose memory is cher-
ished by the churches of Scotland and America. A brother of Mrs.
Duffield, 'the Rev. Dr. Geo. W. Bethune, was distinguished as the
pulpit orator of America.

Dr. Duffield's first charge was at Carlisle, the same church as that
over which his grandfather formerly exercised pastoral care. He
remained settled here nineteen years and then accepted a call to the
Presbyterian church of Philadelphia, succeeding the Rev. Dr. Thomas
H. Skinner as pastor. Remaining two years, he accepted a call from
the Broadway Tabernacle, New York City, and in 1838 became the
settled pastor of the First Presbyterian church, of Detroit, where he
remained until called to a more exalted charge.



— 336 —

The influence of Dr. Duffield in building up sound sentiments
involving the highest interest of humanity was not conlined to Detroit,
but was felt throughout the entire northwest. He was one of the first
of the regents of the Michigan University and held the office for eight
successive years. His active participation in the practical organization
of this now distinguished seat of learning was preeminent and per-
manent. His ability as a scholar, a master of different languages, and
teacher, his patriotism as an American citizen, and his fidelity to the
principles of religion and morals, are yet fully recognized and appre-
ciated. When the life of the nation was threatened he at once mani-
fested the spirit of his grandfather, and by speech, prayer and personal
example inspired hope and confidence in the doubtful, courage and
strength to the despondent. On the 24th of June, while engaged in
giving a welcome to the delegates of the International Convention of
the Young Men's Christian Association then assembling in Detroit,
when only partly through with his address, his voice faltered and with
the exclamation, " My head reels, 1 must rest," fell into the arms of
General O. O. Howard, of the United States army, unconscious, and
was carried to his residence, where he expired on the 26th of June,
1868. He left a handsome estate on Woodward avenue, between High
and Henry streets, with a widow, five sons and one daughter surviving
him — Rev. George Duflield, who worthily represented his father and
great-grandfather as preacher, patriot and scholar, after whom he was
named, died July 6th, 1888 ; Hon. D. Bethune Duffield, eminent in
law, poetry and general literature; General William Duffield, distin-
guished as a soldier in the late civil war and as a civil engineer and
mining expert; Dr. Samuel P. Duffield, M. D., who stands the peer of
any in the medical profession and as an analytical chemist is quoted as
authority, both in the United States and Europe; Colonel Henry M.
Duffield, a gallant soldier, a profound lawyer, and an eloquent public
speaker, and Mrs. Isabella G. D. Stewart (since deceased), wife of Dr.
Morse Stewart, of Detroit. Mrs. Stewart died in Detroit, May 27th,
1888, leaving a record of charitable and philanthropic work which
would furnish the history of most of the benevolent enterprises of her
adopted city. She was the founder of the Home of the Friendless,
president of the Detroit W. C. T. U., was active in Bethel work, presi-
dent of the Women's Christian Association, one of the founders of the
Thompson Old Ladies' Home, being one of the board of managers,
and more recently became interested in a movement in behalf of work-
ing girls. She seemed to have inherited the taste and talent for this
work from her great grandmother, after whom she was named,
(Isabella Graham), who founded, in New York, the first Protestant
orphan asylum establfshed in America.



— 337 —

MATTHEW W. B IRC HARD.

The following is an extract from the Detroit Tribune, January
6th, 1889 :

Matthew W. Birchard, the Detroit centenarian, died at his resi-
dence at 55 Adelaide street, Saturday night, January 5th, 1889. He
was born July 4th, 1788, and was consequently aged 100 years, 6
months and i day. He was born at Becket, Mass., on his father's farm,
but his boyhood was spent at Shoreham, Vt., to which place his father
removed when he was one year old. His first work was teaching
school. Then he was a painter's apprentice and clerk in a store. He
came to Detroit in 1839, when it contained only 9,000 inhabitants. He
built a frame store and dwelling at the northwest corner of Woodward
avenue and Congress street, which he afterwards replaced with a brick
block, that stands there to-day. In 1851 he leased the property at the
northeast corner of Congress and Griswold streets, from Judge Abbott
and erected the Howard House, now known as the Griswold House.
About ten years ago his mind began to fail, and realizing it, he aston-
ished Probate Judge Durfee by a personal application that a guardian
for himself be appointed. The Judge granted the request and
appointed John Ward, who has managed his estate ever since.

Mr. Birchard was twice married. His first wife was Amanda
Farrell, of Shoreham, Vt., who died in this city in 1856. His second
wife was Miss Maria Rockwell, proprietress of a ladies' seminary, who
died in 1881. George Anderson of the banking firm of McLellan &
Anderson, is grand son-in-law and James T. Birchard, formerly of
Washington, and now of Detroit, is his son. Mr. Birchard has eleven
grandchildren and eighteen great-grandchildren living. His estate is
worth $100,000.



CROZIER DA VISON.

The following is an extract from the Detroit Tribune :
Crozier Davison, of 424 Woodward avenue, died January 5th,
1889, after an illness extending over twelve years.

Mrs. Davison was a well-known citizen and business man. He
was a native of England, but came to America early in life, and spent
part of his boyhood in Royal Oak. Afterward he went " up the lakes,"
engaged as a fisherman, and in his 27th year was considered the largest
and most successful fish taker on the lakes. He operated several
smacks, and barreled and shipped his take direct to the Detroit dealers.
During his residence up north he became an expert woodsman, and
about 26 years ago he left the water and became a " lumber looker."



— 338 —

He proved very successful at this, located a great deal of pine lands
and sold at good profits to large lumbering firms. Gen. Alger at one
time bought 30,000 acres from him. Twelve years ago he was obliged
to give up active work, and soon after moved to Detroit, where he has
lived ever since. He remained an energetic man, however, and often
went down town to transact business when he was hardly able to get
out. For a year previous to his death he had been incapacitated,
and for the last two months he was confined to his room. Although
very feeble he remained cheerful to the end.



GEORGE W. BEADLE.

The followinfj is an extract from the Detroit Tribune :
For the major portion of thirty-three years George W. Beadle had
a merchant tailor shop at 162 Woodward avenue, under the Finney
House. Several years ago the firm became George W. Beadle & Co.,
and three years ago, after a well earned rest, Mr. Beadle, Sr., retired
and left the business to his son.

On Christmas day, 1888, Mr. Beadle was taken ill, and January 5th,
1889, he died at his residence, 336 Sixth street, at the age of seventy-
seven years. Deceased was of English birth, his native town being
Hertford. He came to the United States in 1857. His widow is
seventy-six years old and a sister-in-law of William Wright, the deco-
rator. His son, James T. Beadle, was in partnership with him. John
T. Beadle, another son, is in business in Traverse City, and Henry T.
Beadle, a third son, is with Allan Shelden & Co. He also leaves two
daughters.



COL. FRED. MORLET.

The following is an extract from the Detroit Tribune of February
28th, 1889:

Col. Morley was born December 23d, 182 1, in Derby, England.
While a young lad he was a companion of Herbert Spencer, the Eng-
lish philosopher. He came with his parents to this country at the age
of seven, settling in western New York. He early became interested
in politics, was attracted to the Whig party, and while still a very young
man his abilities secured the favorable attention of Thurlow Weed and
William H. Seward He drifted into journalism, and soon after his
arrival in Detroit associated with Rufus Hosmer in the conduct of the
Detroit Enquirer. In 1858 he became editor and publisher of the
Advertiser, retaining that position for about three years. During the



— 339 —

war he was Assistant Adjutant General, and after the retirement of
Carl Schurz from the Detroit Post in 1867, he for ten j^ears had charge of
that paper, retiring in 1876 on account of ill health. For a few months of
1883-4 ^^ resumed his connection with that paper, under the name of
the Post and Tribune, but enfeebled health again interrupted his work.

Since that time he had led a private life, deeply interested, how-
ever, in all public questions, especially of a political character, and
indulging in occasional contributions to the city press. In intervals of
newspaper work he engaged in the bookselling business with John A.
Kerr, from 1854 ^^ ^^58? and was Immigration Commissioner of Michi-
gan in the years 1881 and 1882. In 1875 ^^^ ^^^^ appointed Consul
General to Cairo, Egypt, but declined the appointment.

Col. Fred. Morley died February 27th, 1889. He left a widow,
but no children.



HENRY P. BALDWIN.

" The duty of the business man is to protect his credit, without the
sacrifice of moral obligation (duty to God). How much more binding
is this principle upon a State or municipality ? In the former, the name
of the individual is tarnished by its violation, while for the State or
municipality to repudiate an obligation entered into under the form of
legal enactment, as the representative of a whole people, is corrupt in
its influence upon the masses, and degrading in the estimation of the
people of other localities : it fixes a stigma which the lapse of genera-
ations cannot wipe out."

The foregoing sentiment is that of Henry P. Baldwin, as expressed
by him (although not in the same language) in one of his messages
while Governor of Michigan.

Mr. Baldwin was born at Coventry, Rhode Island, February 22,
1814. His father, John Baldwin, was born at Palmer, Massachusetts,
February 13, 1770, and was a graduate of Dartmouth College. His
mother was the daughter of the Rev. Nehemiah Williams, a graduate
of Harvard College, for twenty-one years pastor of the Congregational
church at Brimfield, Massachusetts, where he died in 1796. She was
born at Brimfield, Massachusetts, September 10, 1776. The parents of
Mr. Baldwin were married at Brimfield, Massachusetts, July 25, 1796.
His father died at North Providence, Rhode Island, in 1826, and his
mother at the same place, in 181 8. They left six sons and five
daughters.

Mr. Baldwin is descended on the paternal side from Nathaniel
Baldwin, a Puritan, from Buckinghamshire, England, who came to
America and settled in the Province of Connecticut, near what was



— 340 —

then known as " Milford Settlement," and on the maternal, from Robert
Williams, also a Puritan, who settled in Roxbury, Province of Massa-
chusetts, in the year 1638.

In boyhood, Mr. Baldwin attended the schools of his native State
until reaching the age of twelve, when his parents having died, he
engaged with a merchant as a clerk, with whom he remained until
twenty years of age, meanwhile employing his leisure hours in close
application to the study of books.

In 1834 he commenced business for himself in his native State. In
1837 he visited the West, and being favorably impressed with Detroit,
in March, 1838, removed to the city which has ever since been his
home.

We find that he established the house which has since borne his
name, locating first on Jefferson avenue, between Bates and Randolph
streets, and resided on Griswold, near Congress street.

The life of Mr. Baldwin during the past fifty-one years in Michi-
gan, has been intimately associated with every enterprise of a public
nature promoting the growth of the State and of his adopted city.

Being an Episcopalian in religious belief, he has been foremost in
the building of churches, chapels, hospitals, schools, parsonages, and
in the organization of parishes, not only in Detroit, but also in the
towns and villages throughout the State. Among the material evidences
of his liberality, earnestness and enterprise in this direction, are the
edifices of St. John's Church parsonage and Home Mission, St. Luke's
Hospital, St. James Church, corner Bagg and Seventh streets, in all of
which he is represented as the chief promoter in the organization and
construction. To aid other parishes and churches in the city and
country he has not withheld his money or influence, neither has he been
confined in his generosity to his own denomination, but all efforts and
objects tending to improve the morals and elevate humanity have
received from him material aid and hearty sympathy.

In business, his transactions have been large and extended, and
have been conducted in such a manner as to furnish no cause of com-
plaint from the thousands who have dealt with him. He was a director
of the Michigan State Bank until its charter expired, and was the
President of the Second National Bank during the entire term of its
first charter, and when re-organized as the Detroit National, became
its President, which position he held until ill health induced him to
withdraw.

As a public man, he was elected a member of the State Senate in
1861, and was Chairman of the Finance Committee, Chairman of the
Joint Committee of the two houses to investigate the Treasury Depart-
ment and the official acts of the Treasurer, and of the committee to let
the contract for the improvement of the Sault Ste. Marie Ship Canal ;



— '341 —

also a member of the Senate Committee on Banks and Corporations.
He was elected Governor in 1868, and re-elected in 1870, serving four
years. Among the most important measures initiated by him were the
establishment of the State Public School for dependent children, the
Eastern Asylum for the Insane, the State House of Correction, im-
provements to the existing charitable and reformatory institutions of
the State, and creating the present State Board of Health; the building
of the new Capitol, also, had its origin with him.

During the administration of Governor Baldwin, occurred the
devastating fires of the Northwest and Chicago.

The promptness of Governor Baldwin in taking steps for the
immediate relief of the sufferers, and its magnitude, excited the com-
mendation of the charitable in every State of the Union, as well as the
asting gratitude of those who were the recipients of his benevolent
efforts.

The death of Senator Zachariah Chandler, November i, 1879,
created a vacancy in the United States Senate, and Governor Croswell
immediately appointed Governor Baldwin to succeed him, which
appointment was confirmed by the Legislature. During his term as
Senator, he introduced the bill making an appropriation for the new
Custom House at Detroit, also sundry other Bills for the better regula-
tion of the National Banks and the administration of Government Fin-
ances. Since his term as United States Senator expired, he has held
no public office, but has always responded to the call of party obliga-
tions.



GEORGE V. N. LOTHROP.

George VanNess Lothrop, late Minister of the United States to
Russia, was a native of the State of Massachusetts, and was born in
the town of Easton, Bristol county, in that State, August 8, 181 7. His
boyhood was spent on his father's farm. He was prepared for college
at Day's Academy, Wrentham, entered as freshman at Amherst Col-
lege, where he spent one year, and subsequently, in 1835, entered the
sophomore class at Brown University, where he graduated in 1838.
He then entered the law school of Harvard University, where he
prosecuted his studies under the instruction of Judge Story and Pro-
fessor Greenleaf, but did not complete a full course by reason of
impaired health. In the autumn of 1839 ^^ decided to visit the West,
and having a brother, the late Hon. Edwin H. Lothrop, residing at
Prairie Ronde, Kalamazoo county, he made his home with him for two
or three years, pursuing farming as a means for recruiting his health.

Resuming his studies in the law office of Messrs. Joy & Porter, at



— 342 —

Detroit, in March, 1843, he was admitted to the bar, and commenced
practice in Detroit with D. Bethune Duffield, as law partner, in the
spring of 1844. Among his contemporaries at the bar at this period
were Elon Farnsworth (then Attorney-General), Henry T. Backus,
Barstow & Lockwood, George C. Bates, Alexander W. Buel, Samuel
T. Douglass, H. N. Walker, H. H. Emmons, Jacob M. and William
A. Howard, James V. Campbell, James A. VanDyke, James F. Joy
and Augustus S. Porter, all of whom had become famous, not only in
Michigan but in other States, and some of whom became more distin-
guished subsequently, none of whom are now living except Samuel T.
Douglass, James V. Campbell, James F. Joy, and D. Bethune Duffield.



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 36 of 51)