Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 37 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 37 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


With such men Mr. Lothrop began a career which has since been most
successful and brilliant.

In April, 1848, Edward Mundy, Attorney-General of the State,
having resigned, Mr. Lothrop was appointed his successor. This posi-
tion he held until 1851. At this time some excitement existed, occa-
sioned, as alleged, by an attempt on the part of the Roman Catholics
in Detroit to secure a portion of the school funds for their private
schools. Mr. Lothrop had taken very earnest action to counteract the
scheme, and an independent ticket for city officers was the result.
Mr. Lothrop was nominated and elected Recorder. This was the first
position held by him under the city government.

He has several times received the vote of the Democratic mem-
bers of the Legislature for the United States Senate, was a member of
the State Constitutional Convention in 1867, and was appointed in 1873
by Governor Bagley to a convention authorized by the legislature to
prepare amendments to the Constitution, which he declined. For
nearly thirty years he was the General Attorney of the Michigan Cen-
tral Railway Company.

In May, 1885, he was appointed Minister to Russia by President
Cleveland. After a service of over three years at St. Petersburg, Mr.
Lothrop resigned his post and returned to Detroit in the autumn of
1888. He has never resumed the practice of his profession.

As a public man, Mr. Lothrop is highly esteemed by all parties.
As a lawyer, his name runs through all the Michigan Supreme Court
Reports from 1844 to 1884.

As a politician he has been recognized as the leader in his party.
He was a member of the famous Charleston National Convention of
i860. He served there as the Michigran member of the Committee on
Resolutions. In that committee, which sat for nearly a week, but
whose debates and proceedings have never been published, the real
battle between the Union and the Secession Wings of the Democracy
was fought. In all this struggle, as in the political campaign that
followed, Mr. Lothrop stood unflinchingly with the Douglass wing of



— 343 —

the Democracy. He saw clearly the coming of the bloody strife that
was about to sever the country, and from the outset took the stand for
the Union and Constitution, which he maintained to the last.

He was the Democratic Candidate for Congress in his district in
1836 and i860, but was defeated in both canvasses.

As a citizen, his geniality and uniform courtesy has secured for
him the love and esteem of the rich and poor alike.

Mr. Lothrop is a member of several benevolent and literary asso-
ciations. We find him one of the managers of the Detroit Young
Men's Society in 1844, a member of the Historical Society, an Adviser
for the Ladies' Orphan Asylum, with the late Hon. C. C. Trow-
bridge. He has ever been active in all enterprises tending to beautify
and adorn the city, as well as in those promoting its substantial business
growth.

As a member of the Historical Society, he is recognized as a
member of the Pioneer Society, by virtue of the former being merged
into the latter.



ED WARD CARET WALKER.

Bishop Whately says : " Nothing but right can ever be expedient,
since that can never be true expediency which would sacrifice a greater
good to a less. Render to all their dues."

St. Paul defines what true expediency is : That law and custom
may justify many personal acts, but great wrong may be done others
thereby. Those who have known the subject of this sketch and the
manner of his life, we fancy, will not charge us with fulsomeness if we
apply the sentiment as governing the life and conduct of Edward
Carey Walker. The history of the family from which he sprang is
given in the sketch of his brother, the Hon. Charles I. Walker, hence
it is not necessary to detail his antecedents, only as they relate to him
personally.

Mr. Walker was born July 4th, 1820. He received his academical
education under the instructions of Prof. Zenas Morse and Nathan
Bishop. At the age of fifteen he studied practical engineering with
William J. McAlpin, resident engineer of the Chenango Canal. He
continued with him until a serious accident prevented his return to field
work, and on a visit to his sister in 1837, was prevailed upon by his
brother-in-law, Mr. A. C. McGraw, to enter upon the study of law, and
as preliminary thereto, he commenced his course under the instructions
of C. W. Fitch, D. D., principal of the Branch University, who fitted
him for the Junior Class of Yale College, which he entered in 1840.
He graduated from Yale in 1842, in the same class with Professors



— 344 —

James Hadley and J. A. Porter, and at once began his law studies with
Messrs. Joy and Porter, with whom he remained three years, with the
exception of the year spent under the tutorship of Judge Story at Cam-
bridge Law School. Among his class mates at the latter were Anson
Burlingame and B. Rutherford Hayes. In 1845 he was admitted to
the bar at Detroit, and has continued the practice of his profession here
continuously up to the present time, making collections a specialt3^
During this period he has had as associates his brother, Hon. Chas. I.
Walker, Hon. Alfred Russell, Hon. Chas. A. Kent, and has at the pres-
ent time his son Br3^ant Walker, who constitute the firm of Walker &
Walker.

Although Mr. Walker was educated in the Quaker faith, he in
early youth united with the Presbyterians, and is a member of
the Fort street Presbyterian church of Detroit, and has been promi-
nently identified with its interests for over forty years. As a citizen Mr.
Walker has been ardent and active in promoting and establishing in
the city and throughout the State educational and moral institutions.
He was for several years a member and Secretary of the Board of
Education of Detroit. He was elected Regent of the State University
in 1863, and was re-elected continuously, serving as such up to 1881.
He was a member of the State Legislature in 1867-68, serving as
Chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

Mr. Walker in politics is, and has been since the organization of
the party, a Republican ; was a member of the committee appointed in
Detroit for the preliminary inception of the convention at Jackson in
1854.

In business connected with his profession, Mr. Walker is recognised
as leading in the matter of titles to real estate. Capitalists at the east
have long employed him as their agent in loans. He has also been
largely interested in manufacturing industries in Detroit, and in all his
walks, whether as member of the church, as an attorney, as a public
man or as a private citizen, he enjoys the confidence and respect of all
who have intercourse or bear relations with or to him in these varied
responsibilities.

June i6th, 1852, he married Miss Lucy Bryant, daughter of Dea-
con Abner Bryant, of Buffalo, New York. She was born at Buffalo
in 1827, and departed this life at Detroit, March loth, 1883, leaving
two children, Bryant, who is associated with him in business, and a
daughter, who recently married the Rev. Dr. Wallace Radcliffe, pastor
of the Fort street Presbyterian Church.



— 345 —

FRANCIS GRANGER RUSSELL.

Being to the " manor born," the subject of this sketch can safely
be classed among the pioneers of Michigan.

Mr. Francis Granger Russell, as his name suggests, belongs to a
race somewhat allied to those whose names in Enjjland and America
are identified and are recognized as progressionists, indicating inde-
pendence, enterprise and integrity, all of which qualities have been
manifested as possessed by his immediate ancestors, of which he is a
fair exemplar and representative. He was born in Livingston county,
Michigan, April i6th, 1837, or about two months prior to Michigan's
admission to full communion with the other States. His father, William
Sanderson Russell, was born at Sunderland, Massachusetts, on the
26th day of November, 1807. His mother, Jane Althea Knox, was
born near Bennington, Vt., on the 4th day of February, 1817. As her
name indicates she came from the family of Washington's chief of
artillery, General Knox, who was nearly related to Commodore Perry,
of later fame. Mr. Russell's parents were married at Riga, Monroe
county, New York, on the 3d day of February, 1833. There were
three sons and two daughters born to them. His mother died October
8th, 1850, and his father August 27th, 1870. That the parents were
of an enterprising character, as well as independent and self-reHant, is
evidenced by the manner of their early life; leaving a well settled
region in Monroe county. New York, traveling through Canada with
an ox team until they reached the Territory of Michigan, they located on
the Grand river trail at its intersection with the Huron river, thirty-
seven miles from Detroit, and made a home among the oak openings
of Livingston county. His minority was crowded with hard work on
the farm, yet not monotonous, for he utilized every spare moment in
reading, inspired by the injunctions of his mother " to fit himself as a
proper representative of his race to take a position among the men of
his time." He was but thirteen years of age when his mother died,
and having acquired, at the district school, the preliminary training, at
the age of seventeen he entered the State Normal School, from which
he graduated in the spring of 1858. His following history in chrono-
logical order is — That from 1858 to 1861 he was principal of the Middle
Union school, of Lansing. From April, 1861, to July, 1864, he was
connected with the Interior Department, Washington, and for about
three months served in the local organization mustered for the defense
of Washington. Department life not suiting him, and the climate not
being agreeable, he resigned his position and came to Detroit. In 1865
• he became secretary of the metropolitan Police Board of Commissioners,
then just created. In the fall of 1868, upon a rigid and open examina-
tion before a full bench he was admitted to practice law, by the Supreme
Court. At this time Governor Henry P. Baldwin being then just
23



— 346 —

elected, made him his private secretary. Three years subsequently he
was elected, over a very popular competitor, City Attorney of Detroit,
and at the end of his term was re-elected, serving the city as its attor-
ney four years. He was elected alderman of his ward in 1877 ^"^
during his incumbency of that office, among other things, was conspic-
uous for his advocacy of the city's purchase of Detroit's beautiful island
park. In the fall of 1879 ^^ ^^^ again elected city attorney. His
main business since has been the management of bankrupt estates, in
which he has had large experience.

In public and private life, as exhibited by Mr. Russell, we have
an instance of what independence, energy and honesty will make in a
man, whose early instincts are directed b}' proper maternal education —
"an American citizen."

In September, 1863, he went to Ohio and married on the loth of
that month. Miss Helen Edwards, daughter of O. Jay Edwards, of
Springfield, Ohio. She was born at Medina, New York, in 1843. Her
ancestors were of English descent and her uncle, Silas M. Burroughs,
was congressman from New York. Mrs. Russell died May 3d, 1890.

Mr. Russell has three children, born as follows: Clinton W.,
November 19th, 1864; Lela, April 23d, 1866; Frank P., April 26th,
1870. A bright and promising son, Walter Knox, born May 14th,
1868, died September 23, 1883.

He had one brother, DeWitt Clinton, who died in the army
December 3d, 1861, and has living one brother, Wm. Henry Harrison
— a lawyer — and two married sisters, Mariam H. Brooks, of Detroit,
Michigan, and Helen R. Ulrich, of Chicago.



WILLIAM A. HOWARD.

" I was born in poverty, and my mother had a struggle against it
through all the years of my young life. I have been sick a great deal,
but I can truly say that mercies have been scattered all along — good-
ness and mercy have followed me all the days of my life, and my only
regret is, that I have not been more perfectly transformed."

William Alanson Howard, who uttered the foregoing just prior to
his decease, was born on the 8th day of April, 181 3, at Hinesburg^
Chittenden county, Vermont. His father, Daniel Howard, was born
at Bridgewater, Plymouth county, Massachusetts, and, on reaching his
majority, emigrated to Springfield, Windsor county, Vermont, where
he married Esther' Spencer; from thence he removed to Hinesburg,
the birthplace of the subject of this sketch. He was poor, as were a
large majority of his neighbors, and could afford for his son William



— 347 —

but few advantages, so that Mr. Howard's early life was one of con-
tinuous struggle for existence. He, too weak physically to cope
with the hardships of farm life, at the age of fourteen years, left
Hinesburg, and took his way on foot to Albion, New York, and
apprenticing himself to a cabinet-maker, made himself master of the
trade, and by improving his leisure hours had acquired sufficient know-
ledge of books to create an insatiable desire for an education, and
when his five years' apprenticeship had expired, he went to Wyoming,
New York, and entered the Academy at that place, where he remained
three years, and then entered Middleburg College, in Vermont, from
which he graduated in 1839. When it is considered that during the
three years at Wyoming, and the four years at Middlebury, he was
compelled to rely upon his own resources, which we know were
meagre, and was weighed down by physical burdens in addition, we
can imagine the trials and self-denials he encountered, and the strength
of the will which overcame them. But the seyen long years of bitter
contest were ended, that for which he had so long sought was found,
and he had secured the desire of his heart, an education. He taught
school in Genessee county, N. Y., during the winter following his
graduation, and in the spring was advised to try the climate of Michi-
gan. Accepting the advice, he arrived at Detroit, April 12, 1840, his
whole fortune being but seventy-two dollars. Soon after arrival, he
accepted a mathematical tutorship in a branch of the Michigan Univer-
sity, and then began reading law in the office of Witherell & Buel,
employing his time when not engaged in teaching, to preparing for the
bar, to which he was admitted in 1842 as a partner of A. W. Buel.
From 1842 to 1854 ^^ ^"^^^ engaged in the active practice of his pro-
fession. September 20, 1854, the Whig Congressional Convention at
Ann Arbor, nominated him for Congress; on the same day he received
the endorsement of the Fusion Anti-Nebraska mass convention held at
Detroit. In this contest David Stuart was his competitor, whom he
defeated by a majority of 1154. In 1856 he was re-elected by a majority
of 767 over the Hon. George V. N. Lothrop. In 1858 he was again
a candidate against George B. Cooper, of Jackson, who received the
certificate of election, but Mr. Howard contested his seat and was
declared lawfully elected, thus entering Congress for the third time.
May 15, i860.

On the assembling of the Congress of 1856, it will be remembered
there was a bitter contest for the Speakership. At the end of some
weeks, Nathaniel P. Banks, Republican, was elected. It was during
this period that Mr. Howard established his position, winning the con-
fidence of his Republican colleagues, as well as the admiration of his
political enemies. To the attempts to drive the Republicans from their
position, he said : " We stand here : we will abate no jot of our princi-
ple — we will appeal to the country, and if need be, will continue voting



— 348 —

until the 4th of March, 1857. We have met our Democratic brethren
in good faith. We have done our best to effect an organization. We
have steadily voted against adjournment. We have made no motions
to consume time. We have steadily measured our business. We shall
go on without compromise until we are defeated or succeed." When
the house was organized he was appointed the second member of the
Committee of Ways and Means, the most important of the lower
branch of Congress. The troubles in Kansas then occupied the public
mind, and Congress, in response to the appeal of the people of that terri-
tory, appointed a committee to go to Kansas and investigate, the com-
mittee consisting of John Sherman, William A. Howard and Mordecai
Oliver. One thousand two hundred pages of evidence was taken by
this committee, exposing the frauds and atrocities perpetrated on the
settlers in Kansas. The longest address delivered by Mr. Howard
while in Congress was that on which he denounced the Kansas Le-
compton Constitution, March 23, 1858, in the course of which he used
the following: "It is a creature of usurpation, the child of illegal
despotism, as destitute of all rightful authority in its origin as it is of
popular favor in its maturity. Illegitimate in its origin, it is now in its
development, by at least four-fifths of those who were expected to
father it, loathed and feared, shunned and scorned." The events
which followed this period have become a matter of history, of which
the outrages in Kansas was the precurser of the Civil War in January,
1 861. Mr. Howard was one of the committee of thirty-three appointed
to devise a settlement of political difficulties — none were devised, except
coercion. Mr. Howard's congressional life ended the 4th of March,
1861, and President Lincoln appointed him Postmaster at Detroit. He
continued in this position nearly six years, when President Andrew
Johnson, appointed the late Colonel Henry Barnes to succeed him.

In 1869, President Grant tendered him the mission to China, which
he declined. The same year he became the Land Commissioner of the
Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad, and removed from Detroit to Grand
Rapids. He continued in this service until 1877, when he was appointed
by President Hayes Governor of Dakota Territory.

The health of Mr. Howard was temporarily very much benefited
by the climate of Dakota, but previous loss of vitality was not restored,
and he was compelled to resign. On his return to Washington, stop-
ing a short time at Detroit, it was evident to his many friends that he
was rapidly passing away, and soon after reaching the former place,
his earthly life terminated, and the following announcement was made
on the wires: "April 10, 1880, Hon. William A. Howard, died at the
National Hotel, in Washington, at 8:40 o'clock."

Mr. Howard was married in 1841 to Ellen Lane, daughter of the
late Venerable Matthew W. Burchard, whose biography will be found



— 349 —

in this volume. She survived her husband. He also left four adult
children, Mrs. Delia Howard O'Brien, of Grand Rapids; Mrs. Kate
Howard Riddle, of Erie, Pa.; William S. Howard of Grand Rapids,
and James B. Howard, graduate of the Boston Law School.



EDWARD CHOPE.



Bovier says : " The obligations of a workman are to perform the
work he has undertaken, to do it in proper time, to do it well, to employ
the things furnished him according to his contract."

The best evidence that the subject of this sketch has fully met his
obligations as a workman, is furnished by the fact that for over fifty
years his work has been in demand, and that through this demand he
has accumulated a fair degree of wealth, enjoys the confidence
of the public and the esteem and respect of the high and low,
rich and poor, of the city and country in which he has so long resided.

Edward Chope was born in Devonshire, England, March 25th,
1815. In early life he was apprenticed, and learned the trade of a black-
smith, so that his advantages for obtaining an education were limited.

He emigrated from England in 1835, ^"^^ settled in Detroit in
June, 1837.

The population of Detroit at that time was less than 6,000; to-day it
numbers 250,000, greater than that of the entire State at the time of
Mr. Chope's becoming a citizen, being but 212,000.

Mr. Chope married Miss Mary Ann Rang, of Washtenaw. They
have had four children. His son, Charles H. Chope, served as a soldier
during the rebellion. Entering the service of the United States July
24th, 1862, as sergeant in company G, Twenty-fourth Infantr}^ was
promoted to Heutenant March 21st, 1865, and mustered out June
30th, 1865.

Mr. Chope is a man of enterprise, active in all movements looking
to the improvement of his adopted city, and was an important factor in
the establishment of the Public Boulevard, and also in other enter-
prises which have promoted the healthy growth of the city. In his
manner Mr. Chope is open, frank and genial, liberal in his charities and
independent in expressing and maintaining his opinions. He is Repub-
lican in politics, though never seeking office; has held several respon-
sible positions, which he has filled with credit to himself and to the
profit of the public.



— 350 —

JOHN S TEPHENS.

John Stephens was born October 7th, 18 12, in the city of Dublin,
Ireland. His mother dying when he was very young, his father
emigrated with him and settled at Trafalgar, Ont. He was then eight
years of age and was the eldest of four brothers. At the age of
eighteen years, after acquiring a common school education, he com-
menced business for himself at Delaware, near London, and prospered
in all his ventures. He advocated Canadian independence. Failing to
realize his hopes in this direction he sold out his business and, in 1838,
came to Michigan and established a general store at Mt. Clemens,
Macomb county, with branches at Utica and Romeo. He also
engaged in milling, and ran a steamboat between Mt. Clemens and
Detroit. In 1852 he sold his business in Macomb county and came to
Detroit and, associating with him Moses W. Field, established the
wholesale grocery house of Stephens & Field. The firm did an exten-
sive business for a number of years, when on the retirement of Mr.
Field, Mr. James Beatty became a partner, when the style changed to
Stephens & Beatty. In 1864 Mr. Beatty retired and Mr. Stephens
conducted the business alone until 1878, when he sold to Messrs. Beatty,
Fitzsimons & Co., he having meanwhile established an office in New
York. In 1878 he organized the wholesale grocery house of John
Stephens & Sons in the John Strong block, corner of Shelby and
Jefferson avenue. He subsequently removed to the old Board of Trade
building on Woodbridge.

In August, 1877, Mrs. Stephens' death was a severe blow to him,
and from that time he exhibited evidences of failing health.

Mr. Stephens took great interest in public affairs but would never
consent to hold an office. In religion he was an Episcopalian. The
larger portion of his life was devoted to business, and in his family he
took great delight in spending his leisure time with them and in con-
tributing to their happiness. He was, as a business man, recognized as
the peer of any. He was a director of the first National Bank from its
organization.

No finer tribute can be paid to his worth than is found in the fol-
lowing expression, by the Merchants' and Manufacturers' Exchange,
on the announcement of his death :

"Whereas, This Exchange has been called upon to suffer the
loss of one of its oldest members, in the death of John Stephens, Esq.,

" Resolved^ That we again recognize the removal from business
life of one, who stoojd foremost in our mercantile ranks, we would put
on record our high esteem for his long, earnest and honorable career
as a merchant, and as one who has labored to make our city honorably
known throughout the State.



— 351 —

" Resolved, That as a mark of our esteem the members of this
Exchange will attend in a body, the funeral of our deceased member."

Of the eleven children born to him and his wife eight survive him.
John E. and George R. Stephens, Mrs. Geo. W. Lamson, Mrs. Col. J.
Kemp Mizner, Mrs. Captain Allan Smith, Mrs. Lieutenant R. C. Van
Vliet, Mrs. Robt. Little and Mrs. Rev. St. Clark.



JOHN R. GROUT.



The following is an extract from the Detroit Post and Tribune,
January 4th, 1882 :

John R. Grout, an old and esteemed citizen of Detroit, was born
in the State of New York in 1896. After a preparatory course he
entered and graduated from Union College, Schenectady, New York,
meanwhile teaching school during vacation to eke out the expenses of
his education. Having made civil engineering a specialty, he came to
Michigan soon after the present company had acquired the Michigan
Central railway from the State, and was employed by it in the line of
his profession. He drew the plans for the old Third street depot.

In 1845 he became interested in the Lake Superior mines, and was



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 37 of 51)