Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 42 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 42 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


when he purchased the interests of his English partners, and conducted
the business alone for about ten years, and then admitted his nephew,
C. H. Wetmore, as a partner, the firm becoming F. Wetmore & Com-
pany, until his death. So that for over forty-four years the name of
Wetmore was a familiar one to the people of Detroit and throughout
the State, as well in social, religious and moral enterprises as in busi-
ness circles. Mr. Wetmore never entered the political field, he was as
much averse to holding political office as Mr. Charles C. Trowbridge,
whom he so closely resembled, both in address and physique, as to be
frequently taken for him. He was connected with a number of enter-
prises outside of his crockery business, and owned real estate in
Detroit and Chicago. In church and social life he was loved and highly
respected, kind and' courteous in his bearing. He was a member of
the Presbyterian church, at which he was a regular attendant.

Mr. Wetmore was married twice. He married for his first wife,



— 380 —

Miss Cornelia P. Willard, at Albany, N. Y., in 1S45. She was a
niece of the late Judge Piatt, a former resident of Detroit. Mrs. Wet-
more died in 1848, leaving one son, Edward P. Wetmore, who was for
a time Professor of Chemistry and Philosophy in the Detroit High
School. His second wife was Miss Anna Mary Curtenius, of Lock-
port, N. Y., a lineal descendent of Peter B. Curtenius, whom history
informs us " led the party which tore down the monument of George
the IV. in Bowling Green, N. Y., 1774." They had six children, one
of whom, Catharine Bruce, died in August, 1876.

He came to Detroit a stranger, but at his death, which occurred on
the 25th day of March, 1883, left a large circle of friends and rela-
tives to mourn his departure.

Mr. Wetmore's name appears as a member of the Historical, since
merged into and now the Wayne County Pioneer Society.



MARTIN BUrZEL.



The senior member of the firm of Butzel Brothers & Company,
wholesale clothiers at 142 and 144 Jefferson avenue, Detroit, was born
April 23d, 1828, at Burgellen, near Schesslitz, Kingdom of Bavaria.
After receiving a good business education he emigrated to the United
States, landing at New York in 1845, where he remained a short time,
when he went to Saugerties, New York, on the Hudson, and in 1851
to Peekskill, and from thence he came to Detroit, where he has con-
tinued to reside ever since. In 1867 he was married to Miss Betty
Binswanger, of New York, She is a native of Binswanger-by-Augs-
burg, Bavaria. They have two sons and two daughters.

Mr. Butzel is an energetic, keen, sharp business man, respected
for integrity and honorable dealing, which together with the practice of
frugality and dilligence has enabled him to acquire a competency.

The political convictions of Mr. Butzel are Democratic, and while
active in promoting the success of his party he has not sought public
office. As a citizen he is public spirited and takes a lively interest in
all educational and benevolent enterprises. He was one of the original
members of the Merchants' and Manufacturers' Exchange and also
was one of the original members of the Board of Charities.



MAGNUS BUTZEL.



Magnus Butzel, of the firm of Butzel Brothers, is a man of culture
and refinement, as well as possessing superior business sagacity and
foresight, which was recently recognized by the Merchants' and Manu-
facturers' Exchange, of Detroit, in the fact that the Board officially



— 390 —

endorsed his views upon the Torry Bankrupt Bill now before Con-
gress. Mr. Butzel takes an active interest in all associations pertaining
to education and matters of a literary character. He is at present vice-
president of the Board of Public Library Commissioners.

Mr. Butzel differs from his brother, Martin, upon political matters,
being an ardent Republican and a charter member of the Michigan
Club.

Magnus Butzel was born at Burgellen, near Schesslitz, Kingdom
of Bavaria, Germany, in 1830. He enjoyed the benefit of the public
school of his native town and may be considered, by careful reading
and application of strong reasoning powers, to be a "self taught man."

Mr. Butzel learned in his youth the trade of his father, that of sash
and blind making, but having a taste for technical drawing gravitated
to the trade of stained or fancy glazing, for which, however, at the time
of his arrival in the United States, in 1852, there was not demand
enough to encourage him to follow it as a business. He therefore
associated himself with his brother, Martin, at Peekskill, N. Y., follow-
ing, for nearly ten years, the dry goods trade very successfully. In 1861
he followed his parents, who had meanwhile removed from Germany,
to Detroit, and associated himself with Mr. E. S. Heineman in the
wholesale clothing business, to which soon thereafter Martin Butzel
also joined, forming the well known clothing house of Heineman,
Butzel & Company, since very recently becoming Butzel Brothers &
Company.

From 1881 to 1883 Mr. Butzel held the office of School Inspector,
when a non-partisan board made a noble record as such, and introduced
technical drawing in the existing form in our public schools, for the
establishment of which he was the strongest advocate.

February 17th, 1869, Mr. Butzel married Miss Henrietta Hess, of
Cincinnati, Ohio. They have four children, all boys.



JOHN HULL.



John Hull was a native of the United States, was born at George-
town, District of Columbia, on the 31st of March, 181 2.

His ancestors settled in Maryland during the days of Lord Balti-
more, and were among the first founders of that State.

His father having died when he was but a small lad, and being
thrown for support upon his own labor, his opportunity for obtaining
an education was exceedingly limited. He was apprenticed to a butcher
at Georgetown, and worked at the business there until 1834, when
he determined to " go west." He first engaged in his trade at Dayton



— 391 —

and subsequently at Sandusky, Ohio, in partnership with his brother.
His business at Sandusky not being successful, he was without a dollar
when he arrived in Detroit in the fall of 1840, " a stranger in a strange
land." No familiar face greeted him except that of his wife, but with that
characteristic courage for which he was noted, and the practice of econ-
omy, he was able to save a portion of his wages. This he judiciously
invested and soon was able to start a business for himself. He located
on the corner of the Campus Martius and Monroe avenue, which loca-
tion he retained during life, and which is the present business site of
Hull Bros., his sons. Being a man of strong mind, backed by a w^arm
heart full of kindness to all, rich or poor, and unquestioned integrity, he
soon became one of the most successful men in his branch of business
in the city, and at the time of his death had amassed a large fortune as
a reward for his industr}- and enterprise.

He was an earnest friend to all benevolent and educational enter-
prises, giving of his time and money liberally to their support. From
the time of its establishment until his death he supplied the Industrial
School with all the meat it needed. He was indeed the " poor man's
friend," as was attested by the hundreds of the poor men and women
who attended his funeral to pay the last sad tribute of respect to the
memory of their generous friend.

His funeral was the largest ever seen in Detroit prior to that time,
and was numerously attended by all classes of its citizens, irrespective
of wealth, party or church influences.

His death was occasioned by injuries received by being thrown
from his buggy in the fall of 1864.

Mr. Hull was a Democrat, and was a strong and successful politi-
cian. His kindness and liberality gave him great influence with the
working classes, and being a logical but plain speaker, secured him the
respect of the more wealthy.

He was twice elected alderman and had held various other posi-
tions of trust and responsibility, the duties of which he discharged with
honor to himself and satisfaction to the public. At the time of his
death he was chairman of the Board of Auditors for Wayne county,
and the nominee for the State Senate.

In 1840 he married Miss Helen Mar Lorain, at Sandusky, Ohio.
He left her and eight sons to mourn his departure.

His name appears on the list of members of the Historical Society
(now Pioneer Society) when the Hon. Judge Witherell was president.



— 392 —

WILLIAM J. CHITTENDEN.

William J. Chittenden, though not a native, made his advent in
Michigan so early in life and has become so prominent as an entertainer
to its citizens, besides being so closely identified with the many enter-
prises which have promoted its growth and present prosperous condi-
tion, that failing to recognize him as among the pioneers would
defeat the object of the Society, viz. : to preserve a record of the men
who have been the principal factors in making Michigan what it is
to-day.

Mr. Chittenden was born in the town of Adams, Jefferson county,
N. Y., April 28th, 1835, was educated at the Jefferson County Institute,
Watertown. In 1853 he came to Detroit, and became a clerk in the
postoffice under Col. Thornton F. Brodhead, postmaster. Serving in that
capacity two years, he returned to Watertown to accept a position in a
bank at that place. He came back to Detroit in 1858, and from that
time to the present his face and name have been familiarly associated
with The Russell House.

January i8th, 1864, Mr. Chittenden married Miss Irene Williams,
a daughter of the late General Alpheus S. WiUiams, of Michigan.
They have three sons and two daughters, Fred L., age twenty-two;
Alpheus W., age twenty; Mary F., age seventeen; William J. C, Jr.,
age fifteen; Margaret, age nine.



FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH.

The First Congregational Church and Society was organized at
the house of Charles G. Hammond, on the 25th of November, 1844.
Martin Wilson presided, and Messrs. Hammond, Baldwin, Barnard and
Raymond, were appointed a committee to provide for the incorporation
of the Society. The first meeting to perfect the organization w^as held
on the 8th of December, 1844, at which a council was called for the 25th
of the same month, and the church was duly organized on Christmas
Day, 1844, consisting of the following members : Lyman Baldwin,
Nancy Baldwin, James G. Crane, Mary A. Crane, Francis Raymond,
Ruth Raymond, Robert W. Warner, C. A. Warner, William Cook,
Marietta P. Cook, S. S. Barnard, Mary J. Hammond and Rhoda
Cowles. Of this number, only Mr. and Mrs. Raymond, and Rhoda
Cowles, are living. The first church edifice was erected on the corner
of Jefferson avenue and Beaubien street, before its completion meetings
were held at the State Capitol, City Hall and Circuit Court Room,
and prayer meetings at private houses. The church was dedicated
March 30, 1846. This building becoming too small to accommodate



— 393 —

its congregation, it was sold, and that occupied at present by the
Society, erected, on the corner of Wayne and Fort street West. This
has recently been sold, and the Society have commenced the construc-
tion of a new building on the corner of Woodward and Forest avenues.
From this parent Society and Church, there have sprung in Detroit the
Fort street Congregational, organized April 20, 1879, Rev. J. M.
Robinson, pastor, on Fort street and Junction avenue; Fremont street
Mission, corner of Fremont and Hastings, Rev. N. S. Wright, Super-
intendent; Mount Hope Sunday School, Michigan avenue, near 25th
street, Allan Bourn, Superintendent; Trumbull avenue Church,
corner of Trumbull avenue and Baker, organized April 27, 1881, Rev.
Albert T. Swing, pastor; Woodward avenue Congregational, corner
Sibley street and Woodward avenue, organized March 17. 1866, Rev.
Heman P. DeForest, pastor; all of which are in a growing condition,
the membership being as follows:

First Congregational, - - - 440

Fort Street Congregational, - - - - - 112

Trumbull Avenue, ______ 230

Woodward Avenue, - - - - 430



Total, - - - - 1212

The first pastor of the First church was Rev. H. L. Hammond, who
officiated from its organization until June 30, 1847, when he was for a
time succeeded by the Rev. O. C. Thompson, who was com-
pelled to retire. The Rev. R. R. Kellogg supplied the pulpit
for a short time, until the church board found a permanent pastor.
Meanwhile the Rev. W. W. Atterbury was engaged for six months,
when on the loth of July, 1848, the Rev. H. D. Kitchel was called.
He accepted the call and was duly installed on the 6th of December
following. He continued its pastor until the third of November, 1864,
when he resigned at his own request. He was succeeded by the Rev.
S. M. Freeland, who remained as its pastor until the organization of
the Woodward avenue Congregational Society, April 3, 1866. The
Rev. Dr. A. Ballard was next installed as pastor, October 18, 1866,
and served as such until March 11, 1872. The Rev. Zachary Eddy
was called and accepted the charge as pastor, November 2, 1873, ^^^
discharged the duties as such until December 14, 1883, when he
resigned, and was succeeded by its present pastor, the Rev. W. H.
Davis, who entered upon his duties May 20, 1884.



26



— 394 —

DAVID CARTER.

The true American is one who, against the disabilities incident to
a lack of inherited wealth, or influential friends, reaches a position
which commands the respect and confidence of all good men, and a
competency to provide liberally for his family and the relief of the
needy. Such has been the experience and such is the standing of the
subject of this sketch.

David Carter is a native of Ohio and was born February 27th,
1832, in Ohio City, now West Cleveland. On the paternal side he is
of French descent, the name being spelled Cartier. His father, John
Carter, was born in Connecticut in 1800, The maiden name of
his mother was Mary Louisa Davis. She was born in Canada July
i8th, in 1812, and was of English descent.

Mr. Carter's father and mother were married in 1828. They had
five children, three sons and two daughters, the subject of this sketch
being the second son. His father died in 1840, leaving his mother and
four young children somewhat dependent upon their own resources for
support. David resided with his mother at Ohio City and in the village
of Rockport (four miles west of Ohio City) until the second marriage
of his mother in 1843, when he accompanied her and his stepfather to
St. Clair countv, Michigan. Here he remained workinor on a farm
until 1845, when he determined to embark in life for himself, and tak-
ing with him a courageous spirit, fortified by a correct sense of moral
obligation, and a small bundle of clothing, he left his mother's home
for Sandusky, Ohio, and found his first employment in a lumber yard
owned by his uncle. Captain John M. Coyle. His uncle being the
master of a vessel, he spent most of his time, during the season of navi-
gation, away from home, and thus, for one so young, Mr. Carter was
forced to assume grave responsibilities. He was able, during the
winter, to attend school, and laid the foundation for a business educa-
tion. At the age of sixteen, his health being somewhat impaired, he
shipped on board a vessel, first as cook and then before the mast,
regaining his health and acquiring a practical knowledge in managing a
vessel. At the close of the season he obtained a situation as clerk and
bookkeeper for the large lumber firm of Pritchard & Coyle, Sandusky.
He remained with this firm until they closed up business, meantime
passing through the cholera season of 1849, himself being attacked
by it.

In 185 1 he accepted the position of bookkeeper and cashier with
E. Sheldon, then lessee and superintendent of The Mad River Railroad
Company and of its docks, warehouses and elevators at Sandusky. He
remained with Mr. Sheldon until his death, in 1852, when his relations
with the company terminated.



— 305 —

At this period the steamer Forest City was in process of construc-
tion for the line between Detroit and Cleveland, and Mr. Carter was
engaged as its clerk, and for the first time became a resident of Detroit,
and identified with the steamboat enterprise which to-day is recognized
as the most perfect and successful of any on the western waters.

Mr. Carter served as clerk on other steamers in this line for ten
consecutive years; he then, in 1861, became the general agent at
Detroit and has had the practical management of all its steamers and
business since that date. The vessels connected with this line prior to
1868 were represented by individual owners. In May, of this year,
the present Detroit and Cleveland Steam Navigation Compamy was
incorporated, the several individual interests being consolidated. The
Hon. John Owen was chosen its president and David Carter its secre-
tary. Subsequently he became, and is at present, its general manager.

A brief review of the history of this line and the culmination of
results favorable to the business and material, interests of Detroit, but
illustrates the energy and enterprise, as well as integrity, of the men
who inaugurated, managed and have conducted the enterprise to its
present eminent success, and may prove of interest to the young men
of coming days and show what true American inheritors of compara-
tive poverty may accomplish by the exercise of pluck, industry and a
due regard for integrity and good morals.

At the age of twenty Mr. Carter became a clerk of the steamer
Forest City. L. A. Pierce was its first commander. In 1852, follow-
ing, on the St. Louis (Captain Hopkins), Sam Ward (M. H. Easter-
brook), Cleveland (J. R. Howe), May Queen (R. G. Evans), Ocean (C.
C. Blodgett), City of Cleveland (J. M. Lundy), Morning Star (E. R.
Viger), R. N. Rice (William McKay), Northwest (E. R. Viger). The
last named took the place of the Morning Star which was lost in a
collision on Lake Erie June 20th, 1868. The regular vessels in the
line at the organization of the present company were the steamers R.
N. Rice and Northwest. In 1877 the Saginaw took the place of the
R. N. Rice. In 1878 the City of Detroit was built of iron at a cost of
$175,000, taking the place of the Saginaw. Her first commander was
Wm. McKay. In 1881 the City of Cleveland was built of iron, costing
$175,000, went into the Lake Superior trade and was commanded by
Albert Stewart. In 1883 the iron steamer Mackinaw, costing
$160,000, was built and placed on the Mackinaw route. The City
of Cleveland in 1886 cost $300,000. In 1888 the new City of
Detroit, costing $350,000, was built and placed on the Cleveland
route in 1889. The company now build the hull only of steel and iron,
and side wheels with "feathering paddles." The City of Cleveland and
Mackinaw average 50,000 miles each, during the seven months,
between Detroit and Mackinaw. Messrs. John Owen and David Carter



— 396 —

have been associated, the former as president and treasurer and the
latter as secretary and manager, since 1868. Prior to that date Mr.
Owen was the practical owner of the steamers composing the Hne, and
from 1 85 1 Mr. Carter has been the practical manager during the
thirty-seven years in which Mr. Carter has been identified with this
line in the capacity of clerk and manager. The losses in property have
been the sinking of the Morning Star by collision, in 1868, and the
partial destruction of the R. N. Rice by fire at her wharf in 1867.

On Christmas in 1856 Mr. Carter married Miss Fannie J. Leonard,
the daughter of the Rev. R. H. Leonard, of Cleveland, Ohio. They
have had four children, of whom two are living.

Personally, Mr. Carter is a genial, courteous gentleman, and is pro-
verbially kind to the unfortunate, rarely withholding his purse or his
sympathy when appealed to. He has been an attendant of the Dufiield
Presbyterian church and is now chairman of the building committee on
the new church.

In all the educational, moral and charitable enterprises of the day
his name is found to be one active in promoting their success.

As a citizen he is public spirited and earnest in his advocacy of all
measures tending to improve the city of his adoption, either in beauty
or material growth.

In politics he is Republican, but has never sought or held a public
position, is not bigoted, and while he does not intrude his opinions upon
others, he is ever independent and firm in maintaining them when
attacked.



WILLIAM DUPONT.



William Dupont is a native of Detroit, and was born on Franklin
street in 1842. The year of his advent was when John Tyler was
President by reason of the death of William Henry Harrison. John J.
Barry was Governor of the State, and Douglass Houghton was Mayor
of the city.

The population of Detroit was but 7,480, and there were but thirty
miles of railway in operation in the entire State.

Mr. Dupont began his business life as clerk with H. and L.
Simoneau, under the Exchange Block, on Jefferson avenue. Subse-
quently he was engaged in the business at Kalamazoo for a few months,
but in 1867 returned to Detroit, and established on the corner of Mich-
igan avenue and Second street, his present location.

Mr. Dupont is now recognized by the pharmaceutical fraternity of
the State, as being authority on all questions pertaining to the profes-



— 397 —

sion, and by the citizens of his native town, as an enterprising, honest and
intelligent man. Mr. Dupont married Miss Kate Southard in 1862.
They have five children, Richard S, Dupont, who is twenty-two years
of age, Josephine, twenty-one, Walter S., nineteen, Kate S., sixteen, and
Elise, nine.

Although Mr. Dupont has been active in promoting the success of
the Republican part}^, he is not an office-seeker, except to see that good
men for official positions are selected, and is regarded by both parties in
his ward as being competent to choose those who will best subserve the
public interests.



JOSEPH BERTHELET MOORE.

Humanity, as taught by the great Teacher, and which should be
practised by all who recognize His right to instruct, is the exercise of a
just discrimination in all that we do, connected with our relations to
society and our fellows.

We start first with our own family, and do our duty to them;
second, we have a succession of employees, we should be their friend,
sharing their troubles and commiserating their misfortunes; third, we
may have tenants, consequently occupying subordinate or dependent
positions, we should try to look at life from their standpoint of view.

The exercise of such discrimination would serve as a cure to
bridge over the breach between the rich and poor, and entitles such as
practice it to the cognomen — to distinguish them as " God Almighty's
gentlemen."

While it would be akin to fulsomeness to claim for the subject of
this sketch all that the sentiment of the foregoing expresses, yet having
lived in Detroit since birth, he must have exhibited and been mindful of
many of the precepts taught by it, for otherwise, he could not have
inspired the confidence among business men, and the esteem and respect
of all who know him, which has enabled him to attain the enviable
position he at present holds in his native city.

Joseph Berthelet Moore, was born in the city of Detroit, September
15, 1846. He is the only son of the Hon. J. Wilkie Moore and
Margaret Berthelet Moore, a sketch of whose life will be found else-
where in this volume. He is descended on the paternal side from
Scotch and English ancestry, and on the maternal, from French.

Mr. Moore has enjoyed and improved the advantages afforded by
the schools of Detroit in acquiring a good business education, and is a
graduate of the High School, and of Detroit Commercial College.

Soon after graduating from the latter, he accepted a situation in



— 398 —

the First National Bank of Milwaukee. After remaininsf there two
years, he returned to Detroit, and was appointed discount clerk in the
First National Bank of Detroit, resigning this position in 1880, to
accept that of Secretary and Treasurer of the Michigan Carbon Works.
He withdrew from this position in 1887 (though still a director and one
of the largest stock holders) to take that of Cashier of the Peninsular
Savings Bank, which position he holds at present. He is also Presi-
dent and one of the original corporators of the Commercial Electric
Company, Director and Treasurer of the Detroit Electric Light and
Power Company, and occupies the same relation in the Detroit Sani-
tary Works, is Treasurer and Director of the Phoenix Accident and



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 42 of 51)