Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 43 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 43 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Aid Association, is President of the Mt. Elliott Cemetery Association,
and of the Detroit Catholic Club.

He has been all his life a member of the Republican party, and is
recognized not only in Detroit but throughout the State, as one of the
most active advisers and promotors of party success.

For a number of years he has filled the position as Chairman of
both the County and City Republican Committee. Among the public
positions held by Mr. Moore is that of Alderman. He has been a
member of the City Poor Commission since 1882, and is now holding
his third appointment as such, and also one of the Board of County
Superintendents of the Poor, having charge of the County Poor House
and Insane Asylum.

Such are some of the results indicating the manner of his life thus
far, which could not have been reached except by the guidance and
acceptance of the precepts given by the great Teacher of humanity.

•In 1878, Mr. Moore married Miss Elizabeth W. 0'H<ira, of Cin-
cinnati, the granddaughter of the venerable Col. James W. Knaggs,
whose sketch will be found in this volume.



JUDGE WILLIAM JENNISON.

Judge William Jennison was born December loth, 1826, in the
city of Boston, Mass.

His paternal ancestors were from England, as it is recorded that
William Jennison came with Winthrop in the good ship Arabella, in the
year 1630, and the Judge is a direct descendant of William, whose
christian name he bears. It is also a matter of history that his grand-
father was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and was wounded at
the battle of Bunker Hill. He died in Boston in 1843. His name
appears on the records as a member of the class of 1774, Harvard.

Judge Jennison's mother was the daughter of Col. Richard Fowler



— 399 —

of the English army. At the age of seven he was placed in charge of
Dr. Prime, at Sing Sing, N. Y. At seventeen he was prepared to enter
the sophomore class at Princeton, N. J., but severe illness prevented his
taking the collegiate course. On recovering from this illness he turned
his attention to mining for a period of four years, devoting his leisure
time to general reading, writing and the practice of oral discusssion, of
questions relating to the scientific subjects which he had made a
study. Owing to an accident causing a disability to continue his mining
work, he entered the Harvard Law School, Cambridge, and graduated
with the degree of LL. B., in 1852. In 1853 he came to Detroit, read
for a year with the Hon. Alexander D. Frazer, counsellor at law, and
began the practice of law in Detroit, which he has continued since. He
has published five volumes of Supreme Court Reports. He resigned
the office of United States Assistant District Attorney in 1870, was a
member of the Board of Education, 1872-3, and chairman of the Public
Library Committee. In 1880 he published a work on " Chancery
Practice." For six years prior to 1888 he was Circuit Judge of Wayne
county.

As a lawyer he is recognized as the peer of any member of the
bar, and his administration of the law while on the bench has classed
him with the eminent jurists of the State.

In 1854 Judge Jennison married Miss Eunice A. Whipple, daughter
of the late Hon. Charles W. Whipple, Chief Justice of the Supreme
Court of Michigan (whose biography appears elsewhere in this book).

Judge Jennison has three brothers and two sisters. Charles E., in
the real estate and lumber business at Bay City; Rev. Joseph F., and
J. Morgan, lawyer; Miss Miriam W.and Mrs. Maria Antoinette, widow
of the late General Burney, of the United States Army.



DR. C. C. TEMANS.



It is providential that the world is made up of peoples, diverse in
mind and characteristics, otherwise it would be monotonous and unen-
durable. Some possess marked characteristics which so individualize
them, that on the mere naming of certain qualities we at once deter-
mine who is their possessor.

From our observation and acquaintance the following from Dryden
will apply to the subject of this sketch:

" Composed in suffering and in joy sedate,
Good without praise — without pretentions, great."

Dr. C. C. Yemans came to Detroit in 1847 as porter on the screw
steamer Boston. He was then but thirteen years of age, and judging
from the circumstances under which he made his advent into Michigan,



— 400 —

he must have been self-dependent at that earh' age. That he accepted
the situation from necessity, and not because of inclination, is appar-
ent from what we learn from his after life and the eminent position
attained and held by him at the present time. How he overcame
obstacles and reached his present state of prominence in the city and
State will be appreciated, and afford an index to the character of the
man of to-day, and furnish an example to others, who at Hke age are
compelled to submit to similar adverse circumstances.

Dr. Yemans, soon after landing at Detroit, sought some employ-
ment which would enable him to pay for food and clothing and give
him an opportunity to gratify his desire for an education. This he
was successful in. AvaiHng himself of them, he prepared himself for
college, entering first the normal school of the State, at Ypsilanti, and
meanwhile teaching. Among other school houses and school grounds
which to-day bear evidence of his forethought and care is that in the
village of Dearborn. The thrifty maple trees which surround the
building and grounds were planted by him and his pupils thirty years
ago and now afford shelter from the sun to the scholars of to-da}', and
serve to gratify the eye of the citizen and stranger.

The instincts of the Doctor to serve his fellows (after the com-
pletion of his literary education) inclined him to the ministry and he
applied himself to the study of theology. After two years thus spent,
he was recognized by the conference of the Methodist Episcopal church
of Eastern Michigan as a member. Meanwhile the election of Abra-
ham Lincoln furnished the disaffected and hot-headed Southerners an
excuse to attempt dissolution and thereby precipitated the late civil
war. The Doctor at once abandoned his studies and civil prospects and
enlisted in the Twenty-fourth Michigan Infantry. We find that he
was appointed Second Lieutenant July 2d, 1862, that he subsequently
served on the staff of General Meredith commanding the Iron Brigade,
so called, until ill health compelled him to retire from the army in 1864;
that on returning and regaining his health he resumed his connection
with the conference and for a time was active in the discharge of his
ministerial duties.

His army experience and the physical suffering he witnessed
created a desire to obtain the knowledge necessary to alleviate bodily
ills, and with his usual determination to know what there was to learn,
he began the study of medicine, and at the end of three years received
his diploma of M. D., A. M. Thus, through his own efforts, unaided
by the wealthy or influential, he has achieved a position ranking as the
peer of the most noted of his brethren in the medical profession.

At the bedside of the sick he is cool, calm but sympathetic.
His manner is such as to inspire courage and cheerfulness to his patients,
and confidence in the skill of their physician.



— 401 —

The Doctor has filled the following positions in the line of his
profession: President Wayne County Medical Society, 1885-6-7, presi-
dent Detroit Academy of Medicine, 1887-8, surgeon of Detroit House
of Correction, 1872-81 inclusive, professor of Dermatology in Michigan
College of Medicine, 1882-7 inclusive, lecturer in Chemistry in Detroit
Medical College, 1873-7 inclusive.

Dr. Yemans was born at Massena Springs, State of New York, in
1834. In 1856 he married Mary Chamberlain, of Brownstown, Wayne
county, Michigan, where she was born in 1835. Mrs. Yemans died at
Shaftsburg, Mich., April 2 2d, 1889.

Mrs. Yemans was devoted to her husband and her children. She
was a woman of more than ordinary refinement and culture, and
during the struggles of the Doctor she greatly promoted his success by
her cheering words and wise counsel. She left to sorrow for her
departure three children. Dr. H. W. Yemans, of San Diego, Cal. ; Mrs.
Robert Henkle, of Detroit, and C. C. Yemans, Jr., also of Detroit, and
a large circle of devoted friends.

William Yemans, the Doctor's father, was born in iSioat Norwich,
Vt. He died in 1886. The mother, whose maiden name was Nancy
Lockwood, was born at Massena Springs, N. Y., in 1807. She died
in 1846. William and Nancy Yemans left two children, the Doctor
and Mrs. C. S. Packard, of Milwaukee, Wis.



RICHARD HAW LET.

Richard Hawley was of English birth, born at Shrewsbury, Eng.,
December loth, 181 5. His ancestry dates back to the days of Roger
de Corbet, and Cause Castle, near Westbury, was a part of the family
estate, and until 1870 belonged to Thomas Hawley, of Germantown,
Pa., since deceased.

His father, owing to financial reverses, decided to emigrate to the
United States, bringing Richard with him, then three years of age, and
was able to give him a good common school education.

Mr. Hawley was of a literary inclination, but pecuniary circumstances
prevented him from gratifying his desires, and he commenced business at
the age of 17 as a brewer at Cleveland, Ohio, on his own account. The
panic of 1837 proved disastrous for him, as with many others, and all
that he had acquired up to that period was lost. He then removed to
Erie, Pa., and began life anew, and was, through his success, enabled
to pay all past indebtedness in full. In 1843 he came to Detroit, and
established the business subsequently known as the house of Richard
Hawley & Son, Malsters. He retired from the business in 1873, ^"^
was succeeded by his son, Thomas D.



— 402 —

Mr. Hawley was at this time so circumstanced as to be able to
gratify his early inclination for literary pursuits, making the study of
political economy a speciality. That he was regarded as an authority
by his fellow citizens on all questions relating to the laws governing
trade, or exchange between nations, is evidenced by his having been
repeatedly chosen to represent the Detroit Board of Trade in the
National and Dominion Boards of Trade. He was a member of the
State Legislature in 1864, and again in 1877, and has served on the
Board of Estimates and as Alderman.

Mr. Hawley was a Whig until 1854, since that time he has acted
with the Independent Democrats.

He married in 1839, Miss Evangelia Gardner, daughter of Col.
John Gardner, of East Cleveland. They have eight children, of
whom three sons and two daughters were living at his decease. The
workingmen are indebted to Mr. Hawley for the wholesome law
reforms in their interest, which were passed in 1877 through his instru-
mentality; and the unfortunate are also under great obligations to Mrs
Hawley, for her earnest efforts in the establishment of a Woman's Hos-
pital and Foundling's Home in our city.

He died July 7th, 1884, ^^^ leaves a record which should be pre-
served for the good of the future, to imitate.



JAMES FANNING NOTES.

" Those plain and legible lines of duty requiring us to demean our-
selves to God, humbly and devoutly; to our government, obediently;
to our neighbors, justly; and to ourselves, soberly and temperately;"
would seem to have-been the axiom governing the conduct and life of
the subject of this sketch.

James Fanning Noyes, Physician and Surgeon, was born in South
Kingstown, Rhode Island, August 2, 181 7. He is the fifth son of
Robert Fanning Noyes, born at Stonington, Connecticut, in 1770, and
Sarah Arnold, born in 1780, in North Kingstown, R. I. They were
married in 1800. Thirteen children were born to them, eight survived,
five sons and three daughters, all reared on a farm. He descended
from Rev. James Noyes, who drew up the famous Saybrook platform,
and was Corporator of Yale College. He was born March 11, 1640,
at Newburyport, and graduated at Harvard in 1659, at the age of
seventeen. He preached and died at Stonington in 17 19. He was the
son of Rev. James Noyes, who was born at Cholderton, Wiltshire,
England, in 1608; whose father. Rev. William Noyes, a Nonconformist,
Cotton Matherjsays, was a very learned man. He was bred at Brazen
Nose College, Oxford, and in 1654, ^^^"^ his brother. Rev. Nicholas,



— 403 —

and his cousin, Rev. Thomas Parker, emigrated to America in the ship
Mary and John, from London, — that staunch boat, which brought so
many Puritans to America that it ought to have been christened the
Puritan. They were Puritans and Nonconformists, and had suffered
persecution on account of their religious opinions. They settled finally
in Newbery, in 1635, now Newburyport, Massachusetts, where Rev.
James Noyes and Rev. Thomas Parker were associated as teacher and
pastor over the first church established there, and where the Rev.
James Noyes erected, in 1647, the Noyes House, in which he and his
colleague lived and died, and which has been occupied by his descend-
ants to the present time.

The name of Noyes is of Norman-French origin, anglicised, his-
tory shows, as early as the twelfth century by dropping the " De La "
from Noyer or Noy, denoting the title of nobility. Delano and Noyes
were in French, it is believed, originally the same. It is to be observed
that the name Noyes is found spelled in four different ways, viz.:
Noyes, Noris, Noise and Noy. Noy, Sir William, in ancestral line,
was a celebrated English lawyer, born in 1577, attorney to Charles I.
He wrote several legal works, viz. : the " Complete Lawyer," a treatise
on the rights of the crown, and an ancient law book called " Legal
Maxims," a book containing good law to-day. The name Noyes is
met with also in German biography and literature as early as the tenth
century. The Noyes ancestors were, history relates, among the
Huguenots who fled from France into England for safety in the trying
times of the Reformation.

In the sixteenth century the family owned vast landed estates in
Wiltshire and Hampshire, including the parish and living of the Rec-
tory of Cholderton, which was originally attached to the Priory of St.
Neats, and the grant confirmed by Pope Alexander III. The Parish
Register there records that Rev. William Noyes was instituted Rector
in 1601. He married the daughter of Rev. Thomas Parker, the
learned and celebrated Nonconformist, whose family were driven to
Holland on account of their heterodoxy. The Noyes family became
also Nonconformists.

The Noyes' original coat-of-arms granted to William Noyes,
whose son, William Noyes, was Attorney-General to Charles I.,
has been handed down in the family. The crest at the top of the
shield " which is a cap of maintenance," was rarely granted to a lower
rank than earl (Burk's Heraldry). The three crosses on the shield
were cross crosslets entire. It appears from heraldry that crosses upon
escutcheon signified that the family commemorated their participation
in the Crusades, '•'•Fidei Coticula CruxP The cross is the test of faith
and would seem to prove that assertion true. The motto, '■'■Nuncia Pavis
Oliva^'' has direct reference to the crest, which is a " Cap of Mainten-



— 404 —

ance," surmounted by a dove with an olive branch, or as one author-
ity says, " a falcon close, with a branch of laurel," but the motto would
seem to indicate that the bird was a dove rather than falcon.

Sarah Arnold, mother of the subject of this sketch, was a daughter
of Samuel and Mary (Nicholas) descended from William Arnold, of
Welch origin, born in Leamington, England, in 1587, emigrated to
America. Persecuted and driven from Massachusetts, he finally settled
in Providence, R. I., in 1636, and was the ancestor of the Arnolds of
Rhode Island and Connecticut. He was a friend and contemporary of
Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island, and was associated with
him as one of the fifty-four proprietors of the first settlement of the
little Commonwealth. His son Benedict succeeded him as President of
the colony, and for several years from 1663 was Governor. He was
buried in 1678, near what he calls in his will " My stone-built windmill,"
in Newport, R. I.

Sarah Fanning, his paternal grandmother, born in Groton, Conn.,
in 1743, descended from Edmund Fanning, of Irish descent, who emi-
grated to America from Dublin, Ireland, in 1641, at the time of the
great Irish massacre of the Protestants, and settled in New London,
Conn.

The Noyes' ancestors, history shows, took an active part and held
important positions in the early history of our country, and the Fan-
nings and Arnolds figure prominently in the battles on sea and land in
American history. Nat Fanning, a descendant from Edmund, was a
brave officer on the " Le Bonhomme Richard " at the time of John
Paul Jones' victory in 1779 over the British in the Serapis. He led his
men, history relates, across the yards, while the ships were interlocked
in battle, and captured the enemy.

James Fanning Noyes, M. D., the subject of this biographical
sketch, received his earliest education from his oldest sister, of blessed
memory, who kept a Kindergarten School in the summer season for
the small children of the neighborhood, and later on, from his father,
who taught a private school on the farm in the winter. From him he
received his first instruction in mathematics, geometry and practical
surveying. Many of his scholars came to the school from farms three
miles away. At an early day his father had been a noted and popular
school teacher, and conducted a school in Narragansett, and later was
Town Surveyor. In the year 1800, and earlier, he kept a school at
Tower Hill, north, and near Narragansett Pier, the now famous sea-
side resort. Among his pupils notably worthy of mention was Oliver
Hazard Perry, who became the hero of the battle of Lake Erie, Sep-
tember 10, 18 13,' and his brother Alexander. Mathew, another brother,
in 1852, commanded the expedition to Japan, and opened that closed
country to the world. In politics, his father was an Abolitionist, a



— 405 —

staunch life-long Democrat and Anti-Mason. Upon the strength of the
latter party in 1834 ^^ ^^^^ elected to the State Senate, and served the
State two terms. Dr. Noyes received his academic education at King-
ston Academy. His eldest brother, Azael, and Christopher Comstock,
in the English, and Hon. Thomas B. Church, now of Grand Rapids,
Michigan, in the Classical Department, were his teachers. He was
fitted for College (Colby University) at Rev. Thomas Vernor's Latin
School for boys at Kingston ; but was obliged to abandon a collegiate
education on account of ill health.

At the age of seventeen years, with the aid of an assistant, he
conducted a school at sixteen dollars a month and board, which in
those days was considered large pay. This was his first and last
experience in teaching.

In 1842, he began the study of medicine under Dr. Joseph F.
Potter, at Waterville, Me., and pursued his studies there till the fall of
1844, when he took his first course of lectures at the Medical Depart-
ment of Harvard University. He also took that winter, 1844-5, pri-
vate instruction in auscultation and percussion of the eminent teacher,
the venerable Dr. H. I. Bowditch, now living in Boston. He graduated
from the Jefferson Medical CoUege, Philadelphia, in March, 1846. He
also took while in Philadelphia a practical course of instruction in phy-
sical diagnosis of diseases of the chest of the noted teacher, Dr. Girard,
of that city. In July following, he was appointed Assistant Physician
for one year in the U. S. Marine Hospital at Chelsea, Mass., under Dr.
George B. Loring, now Minister to Portugal. While he was at
Chelsea he went to Boston, and was present at the Massachusetts
General Hospital on October 16, 1846, and witnessed the first public
administration of an " anaesthetic " (ether) in surgery in the world,
then called "Letheon," by Dr. William T. G. Morton, a dentist in
Boston, which has proved to be the greatest discovery and boon to
humanity of the nineteenth century. In the winter of 1847, he attended
medical lectures and visited the hospitals and clinics in New York and
Philadelphia. Among the noted men he heard lecture that winter
were Dr. Valentine Mott, the greatest American surgeon of that day,
and Drs. Martin, Payne and Draper, in New York, and Drs. Gibson,
Chapman, Wood and Horner, in Philadelphia.

March 14, 1848, he was present and gave important expert testi-
mony in the great trial of Dr. Valorus P. Coolidge, at Augusta, Maine,
for the murder of Edward Mathews, at Waterville, he having been the
first to detect the presence of prussic acid from its odor in the contents
of the stomach and at the autopsy which he himself made, which was
sustained by chemical analysis, and led to his conviction of the murder.
It being the first case in this country in which this deadly poison had



— 406 —

been used to commit murder, it attracted unusual interest and notoriety.
In his trial the prisoner was ably defended by his brother, Edwin Noyes,
and the Hon. George Evans.

In 1849 he settled and commenced practice at Waterville, Me., and
promptly adopted in diagnosis and treatment of disease all the instru-
mental aids then known and in use, and gained a large and successful
practice. Desiring to pursue still further his professional studies, he
spent the winter of that year again at his " Alma Mater " in Phil-
adelphia.

In 1852, upon the urgent advice of his former preceptor. Dr. Potter,
who, upon his return from Europe, had removed and gained a very
large and lucrative practice in Cincinnati, he sold out his practice and
went to that city and entered at once into a good practice with him.
From there he made, October 3d, 1853, his first visit to Detroit, his
brother then being Superintendent of the M. C. Railroad, crossing the
lake from Sandusky, there being at that day no railroad to Detroit.
The city then had a population of about thirt}' thousand. Returning to
Cincinnati he passed through Chicago, w^hich had a population of about
forty thousand.

The climate and failing health obliged him to leave Cincinnati, and
in June, 1854, ^^ embarked in a sailing vessel at New York for
Europe, with special reference to the study of ophthalmology, in com-
pany with Raphael Pumpelly, late professor in Harvard University,
author of an interesting book of travels, " Across America and Asia,"
and now of the United States Geological Survey. After a delightful
and remarkable voyage of only eighteen days from Sandy Hook, he
arrived at the mouth of the Elba, leading up to Hamburg. He visited Han-
over, and with Pumpelly, entered the Polytechnic School and took instruc-
tion in anatomical drawings and pursued the stud}^ of the German lan-
guage. The winter following he visited Berlin and commenced the study
of opthalmology under the celebrated Professor Albrecht Von Graefe,
and opthalmoscopy with his assistant. Dr. Richard Liebreich. It was
while he was a student that Graefe made those discoveries and researches
which have contributed largely to the advancement of ophthalmic science
and immortalized his name. He also took a private course of instruc-
tion in operative surgery of Professor Langenbeck (Baron and after-
wards Surgeon-General) of the Empire, and received from him many
courteous favors. He not only visited his clinics and attended his lec-
tures, but was invited and witnessed some of his private operations in
the city. He visited Charity Hospital, and attended the lectures of
Virchow, Traube and others. While in Berlin he had the very great
pleasure of visiting, by invitation (April 17th, 1855), at his residence in
the city, the illustrious German savant and traveler, Alexander Von
Humboldt, then in his eighty-sixth year. The conversation was con-



— 407 —

ducted in English, which he spoke with ease and fluency. He
remarked he preferred the Spanish for conversation to any language
with which he was conversant. He spoke of his visit to America, and
it seemed to him, he said, " almost antediluvian," it was so long ago.
He said it was during the Presidency of Jefferson, a very brilliant
period in American history, and that we had " statesmen in those days."
He was well acquainted, he said, with both Jefferson and Gallatan, and
corresponded with them for a long time. When the visit had lasted
about twenty minutes his servant announced, " The carriage is at the
door." His excellency then said he regretted he must leave, as the
time had arrived for him to go to San Soucie, as was his custom, and
dine with the King. At this point he politely requested his auto-



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 43 of 51)