Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 44 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 44 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


graph, which he gave, saying he was " half an American himself."
He had also the pleasure of meeting the great American traveler,
George Catlin, whose life and travels among the North American
Indians he had read in his younger days with stirring interest. He
had come to Berlin, he said, with the hope of disposing of his collection
of portraits of North American Indian chiefs and curios which our Gov-
ernment had, in a spirit of questionable economy, refused to purchase.
He had already had an interview with Baron Von Humboldt, who at
once took an interest in his collection, and had brought it to the notice
of the King, who had ordered ten of his Indian portraits to be pur-
chased for the Ethnographical Society of Berlin.

On October 2d, 1855, Dr. Noyes went to Prague and attended the
lectures and clinics of Professors Arlt and Petha, to the latter of whom
he bore a letter of introduction, and who entertained him delightfully
at a dinner party at his beautiful home. At the table, conversing upon
" spirit rappings " of the Fox girls, he was greatly surprised to hear
Mrs. Petha, an English lady by birth, hold conversation in four lan-
guages with the guests present. He left Prague November 4th, 1855,
for Vienna, and after spending nine months there taking instruction of
Prof. Edward Jaeger, in ophthalmology, and attending the lectures
and clinics of Oppolzer, Skoda, Hyrtl and others at the General Hos-
pital, he left the cit}^ and returned to Hamburg, and September 5th,
1856, embarked as surgeon on an emigrant ship, with five hundred
emigrants on board, bound for New York. After a very stormy and
eventful voyage of more than thirty days, arrived all well.

He went to Waterville, Me., and entered upon a large practice,
mainly in the line of his specialty. At a meeting of the Maine Medical
Association, convened at Lewiston, he exhibited the first ophthalmo-
scope and introduced ophthalmology into Maine, and explained its
practical use to the members present, and spoke of the great advance
the great discovery of Helmholtz had already given to ophthalmic
medicine in Europe. He performed, while at Waterville, a large num-



— 408 —

ber of operations for hard and soft cataract and strabismus ; and August
15th, 1857, he made the first operation (iridectomy, Graefe's opera-
tion) for glaucoma in this country. He left Waterville, and January
4th, 1858, he again took passage for Europe in the steamer North Star,
side-wheel steamer, and after a very stormy and perilous voyage, the
ship nearly foundering, landed at Havre. The Rev. Mr. Bliss and
wife, and Miss Barbour, missionaries to Constantinople, were among
the passengers on board. Soon after his arrival in Paris he was pres-
ent and witnessed, January 14th, 1858, the attempt made by Orsini and
Pieri to assassinate the Emperor in front of the Opera House. He
stood within thirty feet of the Emperor's carriage, when three hand
grenades were thrown at the carriage and exploded in rapid succession.
Many about him were killed and a large number wounded. Two
months thereafter, March 13th, he was present and witnessed their
decapitation by the guillotine.

In Paris he took instruction in opthalmology of Drs. Desmarres
and Sichel, and attended the lectures and clinics of Prof. Velpeau,
Neleton, Chassaignac, Record and Becerel, at the hospitals, and
instruction at the Ecole Pratique. At the Charita he took private
instruction of the head interne in systematic examination and physical
diagnosis of disease. He was instrumental in 1858, in obtaining for
Dr. N. Bozeman, then on a visit to Paris for the purpose of introducing
his method of operating for vesico vaginal fistula, now of New York,
a patient in the service of M. Robert at the Hotel Dieu, and assisted
him in this the first operation for vesico vaginal fistula by the Amer-
ican method performed on the continent of Europe. It was entirely
successful, notwithstanding the patient had already submitted to two
unsuccessful operations by surgeons of Paris. He reported the case
and the operation in the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal. It was
a triumph for American surgery, and the beginning in Europe of a
new and more successful method of operating in this class of cases.
While in Paris, he was elected a member of the American Medical
Society there.

Having completed his studies in Paris he crossed over to London
and walked the hospitals and visited the eye and ear clinics of Bow-
man and Crichett. While he was in Germany, Austria and France he
had the means and traveled extensively in Europe during the vaca-
tions.

June 15th, 1859, he took passage on the steamer Europe at Liver-
pool for Boston, and arrived in eleven days. He resumed practice in
Waterville and again acquired a large general and surgical practice
and also in his specialty. Patients came to him from distant parts of the
State. He cut twice successfully for stone, the latter operation being
the recto-vesical using Sims' silver wire suture to close up the wound.



— 409 —

It was the second operation made in this way in this country. It was
at Waterville that he met with and treated his first case of diphtheria
(August 1 2th, i86o\ in this country. It spread and became a very
malignant epidemic in the Kenebeck Valley, and soon thereafter broke
out in different parts of the country.

He was in practice in Waterville when the war broke out, and in
a patriotic spirit he promptly offered his services to Governor Wash-
burn and also to Governor Sprague, of Rhode Island, his native State,
but was informed by his adjutant June nth, 1 86 1, that there was no
vacancy in the First Rhode Island Regiment, then about to leave for
Washington. Appointed and commissioned by Governor Washburn,
he examined volunteers at Waterville for the war which went to make
up the Third Maine Regiment, quartered and mustered into the United
States service at Augusta. The Governor also offered him the
appointment of " government surgeon at $135 per month, or the place
of surfjeon of one of the volunteer regfiments then in the field or one of
the new ones being organized," but he did not, out of necessity, accept
these offers, but continued on in practice of his profession, looking for-
ward to a larger field of work.

In 1863, March 4th, he settled permanently in Detroit. He
brought over from Europe and took into Michigan the first opthalmo-
scope and hypodermic syringe which he brought from Wies, the maker,
in London. He entered soon upon a large and lucrative practice,
mainly in the line of his specialty, notwithstanding specialties were not
then in favor with the profession. June 8th, 1864, he was elected, at a
meeting in New York, an active member of the American Ophthal-
mological Society, which has labored, from the beginning, to elevate
the standard and cultivate ophthalmology in America, then but recently
so brilliantly and successfully ushered in, in Europe, by the combined
labors of Von Baer, Von Jager, Von Graefe, Arlt, Helmholtz, in
Germany; Bonders, in Holland; Sichel, Desmarres, in France, and
Mackenzie, Crichett and Bowman in England, and which is now ele-
vated to one of the most exact and scientific departments of the medical
sciences. He may, therefore, not inappropriately, be called the pio-
neer ophthalmologist of the northwest, permanently settled in Detroit.
Dr. E. Williams, of Cincinnati, it is true, preceded him two years in his
visit and study in Europe, and was, it must be conceded, at the time he
commenced practice in Cincinnati, in 1855, the pioneer classical opthal-
mologist west of the Alleghany mountains.

In 1873 he was appointed professor of ophthalmology and otology
in the Detroit Medical College and ophthalmic and surgeon to the St.
Mary's, Harper and Woman's Hospitals, and held those positions some
ten years. In 1876 he was appointed United States Pension Surgeon
and held this position till i:?84. He was also medical examiner for the
27



— 410 —

Connecticut Mutual Life and New York Mutual Life Associations. At
the meeting of the American Medical Association, at Newport, R. L,
in 1889, he was appointed representative of the association, duly accred-
ited, to the British Medical Association and similar bodies in Europe
for one year.

He was an important witness in the malpractice suit at Kalama-
zoo, and gave unwilling expert testimony in the case exacted by the
court. The case was prosecuted by one Robert Burget, employed on
the railroad, whose hip was dislocated August 27th, 1873, while coup-
ling cars, which, after it had been unreduced more than six weeks, he
had the good fortune to reduce by manipulation (Reed's method) after
it had been manipulated and worked on with the tripod and pulley by
half a dozen skilled surgeons.

This case gave rise to a good deal of hard feeling between the
physicians of Kalamazoo and Detroit, who had taken part in the treat-
ment and management of the case, in efforts to shirk or shift responsi-
bility from one side to the other. This would not have appeared here
had not one of the defendants (Dr. Hitchcock) put in print an entirely
garbled and one-sided review of the whole case.

Dr. Noyes is an active member of the following societies : American
Medical Association, American Association for the Advancement of
Science, American Ophthalmological and Otological Societies, Michi-
gan State Medical Society, Detroit Academy of Medicine, of which he
was president in 1873, Detroit Medical and Library Association, and
the Pioneer and Historical Society. He is honorary member of the
Ohio, Rhode Island, Maine and Texas State Medical Associations.

He is author of numerous contributions to medical literature. His
life work has been devoted to his profession and his caUing has
bounded his ambition.

For sanitary reasons, and (as he believes) in the interest of humanity,
he is strongly in favor of incineration of the dead for burial, and upon the
organization of the Michigan Cremation Association March 31st, 1886,
he was made its first president. He is unmarried.

For the past two years Dr. Noyes has found that hard study, and
the arduous duties imposed by his profession, were making such inroads
upon his health as to demand some relaxation, and he has therefore
retired from active practice, and has spent the time in traveling.

His temporary absence from Detroit leaves a vacuum which is felt
by many. The hope is that he may return with health restored, and
be able to resume his practice.

His educatipn and numerous exalted positions filled by him in the
line of his profession, furnish the evidence of his scientific ability, and
needs no additional comment by the memorialist.



— 411 —

He is kind, genial, full of sympathy for the suffering and unfortu-
nate; practices no deception with his patients, is frank to give his
opinion, does not seek to excite hopes which he believes are delusive,
is firm in his convictions of what is just and true, and independent in
their maintenance.



COLIN CAMPBELL.

Colin Campbell was born in Scotland i8it, came to Detroit at an
early age, established the house known for thirty years as that of
Campbell & Linn, and during that period was considered one of the
principal business men of the city. He was actively engaged in
Detroit for over thirty-eight years. The last years of his life he con-
fined himself to insurance and real estate.



LYMAN COCHRANE.

Judge Lyman Cochrane was the only son of the Rev. Sylvester
Cochrane, clergyman of the Congregational faith, and was born in the
State of New Hampshire, August 6, 1825. He accompanied his
parents on their removal to Michigan in 1837, and in 1844 became a
permanent resident of Detroit.

His early education and preparation for college was had chiefly
under the supervision of his father and mother. He entered the Michigan
University at Ann Arbor, graduating therefrom in the class of 1849.
He had as associates and classmates, T. R. Chase, Hon. J. Logan
Chipman, the late Hon. Dwight May, of Kalamazoo, Dr. Edward
Andrews, of Chicago, Hon. O. M. Barnes, of Lansing, William A.
Moore and Hon. Thomas W. Palmer, of Detroit. He began the study
of law in the office of Messrs. H. H. Wells and William A. Cook.
After attending the Ballston Law School in the State of New York,
on his return to Detroit, he entered the office of Messrs. Howard &
Toms. In 1862, he associated himself with the late William Gray.
This relation continued but a short time, owing to the death of Mr.
Gray, and he then opened an office on his own account, confining his
practice to that branch requiring the preparation of bills in Chancery,
and as the counsellor and adviser of the younger members of the bar,
who relied more on his judgment and knowledge than upon their own.

He was recognized by the entire members of the Detroit bar as a
profound lawyer, and enjoyed their confidence and respect to an
eminent degree.



— 412 —

In the fall of 1870 Mr. Cochrane was elected a member of the
Legislature, and in 1873 was chosen Judge of the Superior Court of
Detroit, and was on the eve of a re-election when death intervened to
deprive the city and its citizens of a just and upright judge, the mem-
bers of the legal profession of an accomplished jurist, and his personal
acquaintances of a friend whose fidelity and integrity of character was
never questioned.

Judge Lyman Cochrane, died at his house on Winder street,
Detroit, Februar}^ 5, 1879, leaving an only sister. Miss Sarah Cochrane,
whose whole life was devoted to her only brother. She was the one
he relied upon for sympathy when in trouble, for advice when in doubt,
and encouragement when despondent. Miss Cochrane is now occupied
at the Detroit Pubhc Library.



DR. WILLIAM BRODIE.

Bishop King says : " The bed of a sick man is a school, a doctoral
chair of learning and discipline."

Dr. William Brodie, of Detroit, if practical experience is a pre-
requisite, is now entitled to the degree which Dryden defines as "doctoral"
and which Bishop King employs in the above quotation; at least it
would appear, from the following facts, that if he has not already
received it, the evidence of his medical brethren and the general public
have awarded it him.

Doctor Brodie was born July 28th, 1823, at Buckinghamshire,
Eng. His name would indicate that his paternal ancestor was of
Highland Scotch descent. The Clan Brodie was an ancient one, judg-
ing from the tartan which the Doctor has in possession. His father was
at some time prior to his emigration to the United States, horticulturist
to the Fawle}' estate. His father first settled near Rochester, N. Y.,
where the Doctor pursued his studies under the tuition of his father.
At the age of twenty-one he entered the collegiate institute of Brock-
port, N. Y. After completing a literary course he came to Pontiac,
Mich., in 1847, and became a student of Dr. Wm. Wilson, one of the
most celebrated in the State as a medical practitioner. He also spent
some time in Woodstock, Vt., and Pittsfield, Mass., attending lectures,
and entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York City,
in 1849, graduated in 1850, and commenced practice in Detroit in 1850.
From 1850 to 1861 was surgeon to St. Mary's Hospital and St.
George's and St. Andrew's Societies, was at different times vice-presi-
dent and secretary of the American Medical Association, and its
president in 1S86, for three years editor of the Peninsular Journal of
Medicine and Surgery, and editor of the Therapeutic Gazette for four



— 413 —

years. As a member of the Audubon Society, he has been active in
securing the enactment of kiws for the protection of game and was its
president.

He was surgeon of the First Regiment of Michigan Volunteers
three months in 1861 and was subsequently appointed brigade surgeon
by President Lincoln; has been alderman from his ward and president
of the Common Council and of the Board of Health and was one of the
first members of the Detroit Medical Society, and president also of the
Wayne County Society for four years. In 1876 he attended, as a
delegate, the International Medical Congress at Philadelphia, and was
first vice-president of the Ninth International Medical Congress held
in Washington in 1887. The many prominent positions held by him
is the evidence of the estimate which the medical fraternit}- hold, as to
his professional worth, and ability, and by the Masonic fraternity he has
been recognized as a Mason of good repute throughout the State, and
is the oldest Past Master of Zion Lodge.

In November, 185 1, he married Miss Jane Whitfield, daughter of
James Whitfield, of Monk Sherbourn, England. They have two sons
and one daughter. The youngest son is at present practicing with his
father. The Doctor at this time is surgeon in chief of the Chicago and
Grand Trunk railway, also of the western division of the Grand Trunk
system, member of the Board of Health, and now its president, mem-
ber of the Board of Examiners of Pensions for Wayne county, of which
he is its treasurer.



JUDGE H. B. BRO WN.

The paternal ancestor of the subject of this sketch emigrated from
England, and settled first in the Province of Massachusetts, in the latter
part of the sixteenth centurv, but prior to the war of Independence
removed to the Colony of Connecticut and settled in New London
county.

Judge Henry Billings Brown was born at Lee, Mass., March 2d,
1836. He was the son of BiUings Brown, who was largely engaged
in manufacturing in that town. His mother must have been a woman
of Christian culture and refinement, as the Judge has said " he received
his first impressions of religious duty " and acquired his taste for liter-
ature and the fine arts from his mother.

After previous preparation he entered Yale College, grad-
uating therefrom in 1856. He then spent a year in Europe, and on
his return began the study of law and completed his course, at
the Yale and Harvard Law Schools. On leaving Cambridge he
entered the office of Messrs. Walker & Russell in Detroit, and was
admitted to the bar in i860.



— 414 —

In 1861 he was appointed the legal deputy of the late Col. Chas.
Dickey, United States Marshal for the District of Michigan. Serving
two years in this capacity, he was appointed Assistant United States
District Attorney for Michigan. At the end of four years he resigned
this position and entered into general practice, making that of admiralty
a specialty. The Hon. Chas. I. Walker, having meantime resigned the
judgeship of Wayne Circuit, Governor Crapo appointed Judge Brown
to succeed him. At the close of his term of ofhce as Circuit Judge of
Wayne, he resumed his practice in connection with Messrs. Newberry
& Pond, until appointed by President Grant, United States District
Judge for the Eastern District of Michigan in 1875.

He brought to this position a logical mind carefully trained by
close study and the practical experience acquired in his long service as
a law officer of the general government, and was thus prepared for
the duties pertaining to it, evincing such ability that one of the present
Justices of the United States Supreme Court has said in respect to his
decisions in admiralty cases: "They need no review by this Court as
to the proper application of the provisions of law."

On the bench the Judge is dignified but courteous, firm but kind,
quick in his apprehension of and in deciding a law point, and careful
of the respective rights of litigants and witnesses. Off the bench he
is genial and pleasant, and prefers to discuss literary, rather than law
questions.

He has made the tour of Europe several times during his vacations
and thus been able to gratify that taste for fine arts so early in life
acquired, and add to his knowledge of the higher order of literature
which he so much delights in.

July 13th, 1864, he married Caroline, daughter of the late Samuel
Pitts, a sketch of whose life will be found elsewhere in this volume.

Judge Brown was a member, and at one time Secretary of the
Historical Society, since merged into and now the Pioneer Society.



BENJAMIN F. STAMM.

One of the characteristics of the subject of this sketch is "that
through all the difficulties he may have encountered in life he has
always met them in a serene manner and with entire confidence that if
he could not successfully surmount them, he would patiently submit to
the consequences accompanying them."

Benjamin F. Stamm was born in Washingtonville, Columbia
county, now Montour county, Penn., June loth, 1819. As his name
indicates, on the paternal side he is of Swiss descent. His father, John



— 415 —

W. Stamm, was born in Bern township, Berks county, Pennsylvania,
on the 30th day of August, 1791. His mother's maiden name was
Catherine EHzabeth Kissinger. She was born in Elsass township,
Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1795.

Mr. Stamm's parents were married as Kissinger's church or
Tolmers, in Pennsylvania, in 1817. They had nine children, of whom
eight are living to-day. His father died at Northumberland, Pa., in
1868, and his mother died in Monroe county, Iowa, in 1873.

When not quite eleven years of age he was apprenticed in a
general store "for bed and board" for two years. He then worked at
the same business for a short time at four dollars per month and bed
and board. He next was bound boy to the tinner's trade and com-
pleted that course in 1837. In 1838 he began to keep school in the
township where his forefathers had lived ever since they emigrated,
and finally began to teach, having acquired knowledge sufficient in a
sort of itinerant way. He next went to Meadville Theological School,
in 1850, and graduated as a Unitarian minister in 1853. ^^ labored
thus in Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa as also in Detroit, Mich., during
the winter of 1855-6 under the auspices of the Unitarian Society of this
city. In December, 1856, he brought his family to Detroit and
entered the service of the Michigan Central Railroad Company and
remained in their service nine years. He then entered mercantile life
in a small way and still continues in the same occupation. He has
never failed to pay one hundred cents on the dollar, together with
lawful interest. One debt he paid, the interest amounted to more
than the principal. He never held office except in a few instances
where boodle was out of the question. He was always a thinker and
a student, and although reared in the German Lutheran and Reformed
churches he afterwards became a Presbyterian, but continued to evo-
lute until to-day he stands outside of all churches, believing what to
him seems true in all, but technically belonging to none. He has been
a student, teacher and preacher, but always faithful to his highest con-
victions. In politics he was cradled in that Democracy that still con-
tinues to vote for Andrew Jackson and voted the straight ticket from
1840 to 1852. He then voted Free Soil (John P. Hale, standard-
bearer). In 1854 ^^ "^^^ ^ delegate from Green county, Wisconsin,
that adopted a Republican platform at Madison, Wis., voted that ticket
until 1876, when Peter Cooper (the noblest Roman of them all) ran as
the Greenback candidate for the presidency. He also voted for
Weaver, but finding nothing to suit him better, he yields to the inevit-
able and votes the Republican ticket.

He was an earnest and working member of the Union League of
America during the recent Civil War.

As a moral and intelligent citizen his walk in life has been upright,
frugal and industrious.



— 416 —

FRAA^CIS ADAMS.

Francis Adams, born at Ellsworth, Maine, in i83i,came to Detroit
in 1851, and engaged in the lumber business with the late N. W.
Brooks, under the firm name of Brooks & Adams, and on the death of
Mr. Brooks, under the name of Adams & Ferguson. Mr. Adams was
one of the original corporators of the Congress and Baker Street Rail-
way Company, and its first President; he is also a director in the
Wayne County Savings Bank. Has been Alderman several times, a
member of the Board of Estimates and of the Park Commission.



GEORGE C. LANGDON.

In 1877 George Curtis Langdon was elected as a Democrat
Mayor of Detroit. His administration of his functions, was entirely
devoid of anything of a partisan character, and in this respect it was
somewhat distinguished. He was opposed to monopolies, rings, or
combinations favoring the few, at the expense of the taxpayers, and
exercised the veto power to crush all measures partaking of the least
semblance of corruption. He aimed to select his appointments from
those of his own party, but did not hesitate to remove them, when his



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 44 of 51)