Fred. (Frederick) Carlisle.

Chronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County online

. (page 9 of 51)
Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 9 of 51)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ELIGIBLE MEMBERS — VAN BUREN.

Name. P. O. Birth Place. av '^"'^ T?

Wayne Co.

Brown, L. B . Rawsonville New York 1835

Brown, Pemn Rawsonville New York 1838

Bradshaw, Amos Belleville New York 1826

Burt, Franklin Belleville New York ... 1846

Barlow, Chas. J Rawsonville New York 1836

Beggam, Thomas Denton ... New York 1835

Burrell, George Denton England 1838

Campbell, S. W Belleville Wayne County 1836

Campbell, Chas Rawsonville . . New Jersey X846

Crawford, W Belleville New York 1831

Corkins, V Belleville New York 1824

Elwell, George Belleville ... Maine 1835

Forbes, Daniel ^^ Belleville Wayne County 1826

Featherly, D A Belleville New York 1831

Hubbard, Harry^ R Belleville New York i8ig

Heath, Truman H Belleville Vermont 1832



— 85 —

ELIGIBLE MEMBERS — VAN BUREN — CONTINUED.
Name. P. O. Birth Place. w'^"'^ "^r

VVAVNE Co.

Hasner, Newton Belleville Washtenaw County' 185 1

Moore, G. W Romulus New York City 1832

Manzer, A Belleville Wayne County 1841

Monks. John Belleville England 1852

Parker. David J Belleville New York 1839

Riggs, Gilbert Belleville Wayne County, N. Y 1836

Robb, Miss Anna Wayne County 1850

Snuck, Geo Belleville New York 1848

Stanley, C. S Rawsonviile New York. 1833

Smith, David J Belleville New York 1833

Savage, Wm. () Belleville Wayne County 1837

Savage, Daniel Belleville New York 1832

Smith, Wm Denton New York 1837

Warren, Wm. E Belleville Onondaga Co., N. Y 1836

Winslow, G. M Canton New York 1834

Ward, A Belleville Michigan 1840

Whitlay, Wm Belleville England 1848



VILLAGES IN WAYNE COUNTY.

Trenton — Already mentioned.

NoRTHViLLE — Laid out in 1840 by Capt. Wm. Dunlap and Daniel
L. Cady.

Plymouth — In 1837, by H. B. Holbrook.-

Waterford — In 1837, by Dyer Ramsdell.

NoRRis — In 1872, by Col. P. W. Norris.

Delray — In 1856, by Elisha Chase.

Dearbornville — In 1833, by Paul D. Anderson.

Wayne — In 1835, by Ezra Derby.

Denton — In 1866, by Samuel T. Denton.

Rawsonville — In 1836, by A. Rawson, Mathew Wood and
Abraham Voorhes.

Belleville — In 1848, by George D. Hill, Daniel L. Quirk and
R. P. Clark.

Gibralter — In 1837 by Benjamin B. Kircheval, Joshua Howard
and Peter Godfroy, trustees of the Gibralter and Flat Rock Company.

Flat Rock — At same time.

Waltz — In 1872, by Josiah Watz.

Belden — In 1871, by Francis T. Belden and wife.

Grandport, or Ecorse — In 1836, by Simeon Roussou, A. Laba-
die, L. Bourassau and P. White.



CHR0N0GRAPHY - TH1RD PERIOD.



1796. — For the first time, July nth, the stars and stripes waved over
Detroit. Northwest Territory set apart August 18, as the County
of Wayne, by Winthrop Sargeant, acting Governor. Bounded
East by Cayuga river, Ohio, on the line between what is now
Indiana and Illinois, northwestward to the national boundary line,
embracing Wisconsin and a portion of Ohio and Indiana. Detroit
was constituted the county seat or capital. Measures adopted to
extend the Ordinance of Congress of 1787, over this portion of the
Northwest Territory. General Arthur St. Clair was appointed
Governor. Delegates were elected to the first territorial legis-
lature.

1797. — Solomon Sibley settled and was the first Supreme Judge.

1798. — April 7, Congress organized the territory of Mississippi, and
Winthrop Sargeant was appointed Secretary, William Henry
Harrison taking his place as Secretary of the Northwest Terri-
tory, which he held until he was elected a delegate to Congress.
Oct. 29, General Arthur St. Clair issued a proclamation causing an
election for representatives to a territorial legislature, the election
being held the third Monday of December. Rev. Gabriel
Richards arrived at Detroit as pastor of St. Ann's church. He at
once celebrated all marriages had previously under the civil law.

1799. — Representatives elected met at Cincinnati, January 22nd. James
Bennett, James Findlay, Henry Vanderburg, Robert Oliver and
David Vance, were confirmed as members of the Legislative
Council of the Northwestern Territory. The territorial legislature
convened at Cincinnati, September 24. There were 19 members,
of whom seven were from Hamilton county, four from Ross
county, three from Wayne, two from Adams, and one each from
the counties of Jefferson, Washington and Knox. October 3rd,
the Legislature elected William Henry Harrison delegate to Con-
gress. Stephen Mack, the first American merchant, arrived in
Detroit. He was the maternal grandfather of Rev. David M.
Cooper, pastor of the Memorial Presbyterian church. John
Francis Hamtramck, appointed by President John Adams, Com-
mandent at Detroit. On the i8th of January, the King's birthday
was celebrated at Sandwich. The American officers participated



— 87 —

by invitation, Detroit first made a port of entry. March 2, Act of
Congress, includes in the district of Detroit all the waters of Lake
Erie, Huron, St. Clair, and rivers connected therewith, west of the
river Miama to the Island of Michilmackinac, and the President
appoints a collector to reside at Detroit.

i8cx). — Rev. Dr. David Bacon, a Congregational clergyman from Con-
necticut arrived at Detroit, and established the first Protestant
church. The territory of Indiana erected by Congress. Chilli-
cothe, Ohio, fixed as seat of government for Northwest Territory,
July 4. General Arthur St. Clair, Governor.

1801. — Wm. Henry Harrison commissioned as Governor of Indiana
territory, and General St. Clair re-appointed Governor of the
Northwest Territory. Northwestern territorial legislature at
Chillicothe, Ohio, passed an Act incorporating Detroit.

1802. — The erection of Ohio into a State. The whole of Michigan or
Wayne county became a part of Indiana territory. Ohio admitted
a State. First municipal election in Detroit.

1803. — The post office first established in Detroit. Col. John Francis
Hamtramck died April nth.

1804. — Congress passed an Act reserving section 16 in each township
for school purposes, thereafter designated " School Lands." U. S.
Land Office established at Detroit. Rev. Mr. Freeman preached
the first Methodist sermon in Michigan, and Dr. Bangs the second.
By Act of March 20, the Land District of Detroit covered all lands
in which the Indian titles had been extinguished, north of Ohio.
This would include Wisconsin.

1805. — Congress created the territory of Michigan, the Act to take
effect June 30th. Wm. Hull, of Massachusetts, was appointed
Governor. Augustus Woodward, Frederick Bates, and John
Griffin, were appointed territorial judges. Fire occurred June nth,
which almost totally destroyed Detroit, including the third St. Ann's
Church. In consequence, the Governor and Judges were directed
by an Act of Congress to lay out the town anew ; hence came what
is still known as " The Governor and Judges' Plan of Detroit."
July 31, Territorial Supreme Court established. The Territory of
Michigan commenced its existence July 2, and embraced all the
Lower Peninsular.

1806. — On the petition of Angelique Campau, Elizabeth Williams and
Rev. Gabriel Richards, the Governor and Judges donated a
lot of land on Section i, for the erection of a new school building
in connection with St. Ann's church. Bank of Detroit chartered
by the Governor and Judges.



— 88 —

1807. — Governor Hull effected a treaty with all the Indian tribes
of the Northwest, except the Shawnees. Tecumseh, their chief,
refused to sign. Congress withheld its approval of the Act of the
Governor and Judges in granting charter to the Bank of Detroit.
The first brick house erected by Woodruff, and occupied by Gov.
Hull. Donation of land by Governor and Judges on the northwest
corner of Larned street and Woodward avenue, on which was
erected the first Protestant church; Rev. Jno. Monteith, pastor.
Donations of land were also made to the Methodists, Baptists and
Episcopal churches, to the Mechanics' society, and to the Catholic
church for burial purposes. James Witherell succeeded Frederick
Bates as Territorial Judge. Gov. Hull made a treaty with the
Ottawas, Chippewas, Hurons and Pottawattomies, known as the
Indian treaty of Granville for Michigan, Wayne Co. lands.

1808. — Land district enlarged and made to cover all on which Indian
tide is extinguished by treaty of November 17, made at Detroit.

1809. — Special Council was held by Governor Hull with the Hurons or
Wyandottes, the chief being " Walk-in-the-Water." The}^ were
dissatisfied with the Granville treaty. This was the first time
Tecumseh and his brother appeared prominent in creating jealous-
ies against the Americans. The principal settlements were upon
the Miama and Raisin, on the Huron of Lake Erie, Clinton,
St. Clair, and the Island of Mackinac. The entire white popula-
tion was 4,834, three-fourths Canadians and French. Charter of
Detroit granted heretofore by Governor and Judges revoked
February 24. First printing press brought to Detroit by Father
Richards, and James Miller published the first newspaper printed,
st\'^led the "Michigan Essay, or Impartial Observer," dated
Friday, August 31st. Rev. Wm. Case appointed by the New
York Methodist Conference at Detroit. He made his home with
Mr. Abbott.

1810. — First Methodist Society organized four miles west of Detroit,
on the Rouge. The population of Detroit was 700 whites, exclu-
sive of soldiers. Rev. Williams organized the first Methodist
society, with seven members : Robert and Betsey Abbott, his
wife, Wm. and Maria McCarthy, his wife, Wm. and Betsey Stacey
and Sarah Macomb.

181 1. — Name of Fort Lenault or Lernoult, changed to that of Shelby.
The Indian tribes indicate disturbance and a desire to violate the
treaty made with Wayne. The Shawnee Prophet and his brother
were active leaders, and received encouragement from the British.
Hostilities begun on the part of the Indians at Tippecanoe, where
they were defeated by Harrison. Gen. Hull, Governor. Earth-



— 89 -

quake shock first noticed in this locality. That portion of Detroit
known as the " Cass Farm " was conveyed by government patent
April nth, to John W., WiUiam and D. B. Macomb.

1812. — War declared between England and the United States, June
iSth. The news did not reach Governor Hull until July 3d. The
first intimation received by him was the capture of a small
schooner near Maiden by the British. July 12th, Hull crossed the
river, camped at Sandwich, and the day following attacked and
routed the British at Conner Creek, near Maiden. On the 5th of
August the British hidians defeated Major VanHorn at Browns-
town, and Hull, on receiving the news, fearing an attack on
Detroit, recrossed the river on the 9th of August, and subse-
quently on the 15th, accepted Proctor's terms, and surrendered
the fort. The American troops and officers were sent to Halifax.
Among those officers who were sent to Halifax was Whittimore
Knaggs, whose son, Colonel James W. Knaggs, is now a
resident of Detroit. Captain Knaggs commanded the Michigan
Rangers, and was also interpreter for Generals St. Clair, Wayne
and Hull in their treaties with the Indians prior to the war. After
his exchange, he joined Winchester's arm}^ on its way from Ohio,
and at the river Raisin massacre was taken prisoner with Win-
chester. Their captors were celebrated Indian chiefs, to whom
they were personally known, called by the names of Jack Brandy
and George Bluejacket. Had they not recognized them, both
Winchester and Knaggs would have been tomahawked and
scalped. The chiefs protected and delivered them to General
Proctor, who denied to Captain Knaggs the rights as a prisoner of
war, and sent him in chains to Quebec, charging him with having
violated his parole, and with exercising an influence over the
Indians, prejudicial to British interests, in a clandestine manner.
He remained in prison at Quebec under this charge of Proctor for
one year. On the trial and investigation the charge of violating
his parole was not sustained, and he was liberated. On his return
to Detroit he found his property destroyed, his buildings having
been used as a barracks by order of the U. S. military. When
Proctor took possession of Detroit he regarded them as public pro-
perty, and gave them up to destruction by the Indians. Neither
Captain Whittimore Knaggs, nor his heirs, have as yet received
compensation for the loss of this property. At the surrender
of Hull, Col. Abram Truax, the father of Mrs. Giles B. Slocum,
refused to surrender his arms, but broke through the lines and
escaped.

1813. — The battle at Frenchtown occurred January 21st, and on the
22d, the massacre of the river Raisin, at which Gen. Winchester
7



— 90 —

and Captain Whittimore Knaggs were taken prisoners (incidents
heretofore referred to.) February 13th, Gen. Proctor issued a
proclamation banishing from Detroit all residents who withheld
their allegiance to English supremacy. Gen. Proctor continued in
command at Detroit, and nothing intervened to disturb him until
the successful repulse by Col. Croghan of an attack on Fort
Stephenson, August 12 (now Lower Sandusky\ which so de-
moralized several of the Indian tribes that they deserted their
English allies and returned to their homes. From this period,
August 2d, American arms began to rid the frontier from British
domination. On the Niagara frontier frequent success promoted
the end. General Harrison had been placed in command. Sept.
loth, occurred Perry's victory on Lake Erie. On the 28th, Harri-
son reached Maiden, and sent forward Gen. Duncan Mc Arthur,
who, crossing the river below Sandwich, followed up the
river road to Detroit, and occupied the Fort, it having been aban-
doned by the British. October 7th, Commodore Perry came with
his fleet to Detroit. On the 15th of October, General Harrison
issued his proclamation restoring civil law as it existed prior to
the territory being surrendered to the British, and appointed
Colonel Lewis Cass provisional Governor. He at once restored
order and accepted the oath of allegiance of those English sub-
jects who chose to remain. Gen. Harrison pursued and overtook
Proctor and Tecumseh near the river Thames on the 7th of
November, and then ensued the " Battle of the Thames," which
resulted in the entire rout of Proctor, the death of Tecumseh, and
the practical ending of hostilities on the northern and northwestern
frontier. Gen. Lewis Cass appointed Governor, October 20th.

1814. — General Hull court martialed at Albany, New York, February,
and found guilty in March. Sentence of death commuted by the
President. Harrison made a treaty July 20th with the Indians at
Greenville, and most of the Northwest tribes abandoned their sym-
pathy for the English. England and the United States concluded
a treaty of peace December 14. County of Mackinac erected.

1815. — National fast observed for the first time in Detroit. Gen. Cass
fixed new boundaries for Wayne County, November 21st. Fire
company organized — the hand engine being that used on board
one of Commodore Perry's vessels which had been abandoned
October 23rd. A new charter was granted the city by the Terri-
torial Legislature. The City of Detroit was incorporated by an
Act passed by the Governor and Judges, October 4th. The
municipal authority was invested in five trustees, a secretary,
assessor, a collector and a city marshal, who were to be chosen on
the first day of May, annually, by the freeholders of the city, who



— 91 —

either had an income of forty dollars per year, or who paid a
rental of that sum, and by such other persons admitted as citizens.
Wayne County organized, it embraced all lands and territory
covered by Hull's treaty with the Indians of 1807, in the Lower
Peninsular.

1816. — Captain Chesley Blake, who was a volunteer with Scott at the
battle of Lundy's Lane, on the Niagara frontier, was placed in
command of the schooner " General Jackson," built new and owned
by Oliver Newberry. November 3d, Indiana was admitted as a
State, and that portion heretofore included in the county of
Wayne and territory of Michigan was detached. Governor Cass
assembled a Council of Indians at Detroit, at which Captain Whit-
timore Knaggs was chief interpreter. United States Bank incor-
porated April loth. First public market building erected by
Benjamin Woodruff. Post road established through Black
Swamp. David Baird and Wm. Macomb, sold their thirds (2) of
the lands conveyed by the Government in 181 1 to Gen. Lewis
Cass, September 9th.

181 7. — Building of Cathedral of St. Ann commenced by Father
Richard, June 25. General Lewis Cass re-appointed Governor
January 21. "Detroit Gazette" first issued by John P. Sheldon and
E. Reed, August 14. President James Monroe visited Detroit, on
which occasion Governor Lewis Cass, in behalf of the State of
New York, presented General Alexander Macomb with an ele-
gant sword commemorating his gallant conduct at the battle of
Plattsburgh. Generals Brown, Woods and McNeal were present,
and the citizens presented Monroe with a span of fine horses.
Prior to his visit on July 14 Monroe county was erected and
named in his honor. Bank of Michigan incorporated.

1818. — First Methodist society in Michigan organized, which erected
the first Protestant church building five miles below Detroit on the
Rouge. First non-denominational Protestant society organized
by Rev. John Monteith, who took steps to build a church on the
corner of Larned and Woodward avenue. First sale of land by
the United States occurred November 3d. Illinois admitted as a
State. First steamboat, Walk-in-the-Water, arrived from Buffalo.
A portion of Wayne county detached to form the county of
Macomb. William Woodbridge, secretary and acting Governor
August 17th. Fourth St. Ann church built.

1 8 19. — The first non-denominational church was completed and dedi-
cated to the exclusive use of the Presbyterian denomination. The
Bank of Michigan was chartered by the Governor and Judges.
The Territorial Medical Society was organized July 3d. William
Woodbridge was elected the first territorial delegate to Congress.



— 92 —

i820. — Governor Cass organized an expedition to explore Lake
Superior, which left Detroit May 24. He was accompanied by
Dr. Alexander Woolcott, Capt. D. B. Douglass, Lieutenant A. E.
Mackay, Mayor Robert Forsythe, Henry R. Schoolcraft, Charles
C. Trowbridge, Alexander R. Chase, and a number of private
soldiers and voyagers. May 20th, Monroe made a district for
entry of United States lands ; also added all the lands ceded by the
treat}^ with the Indians at Saginaw September 24, 1819, to
Detroit. The Mechanics' Societ}'^, incorporated by the Governor
and Judges. Jervis Dean, president ; J. Brown, vice-president; A.
C. McGraw, Secretary ; Chauncy Hurlburt, treasurer ; P. Des-
noyer, William E. Porter, C. H. Buhl, Charles Jackson and Israel
Noble were stewards. Commodore Oliver Perry died. Judge
Solomon Sibley was elected delegate to Congress, to succeed
Hon. William Woodbridge. The population of the territory at
this period, embracing the present State of Wisconsin which was
a part, numbered 9,000. Rev. Jedediah Morse (author of Morse's
geographv) and his son, Samuel Furley, who was the inventor of
the Morse telegraph, were passengers on the steamer Walk-in-the-
Water, and spent some days at Detroit. William Woodbridge
appointed Secretary and acting Governor August 8th.

1821. — General Cass visited Fort Dearborn (now Chicago), and made
a final treaty with the chiefs of the Indian tribes of the northwest
by which certain territory and lands, now constituting Michigan,
Wisconsin and Minnesota, were ceded to the United States.
Capt. Whittimore Knaggs and his son, the present James W.
Knaggs, accompanied him. The Right Rev. Dr. Fenwick became
bishop of Cincinnati and administrator of Michigan, succeeding the
Rev. Gabriel Richard, who had officiated as the nominal bishop of
the territory for over twenty-four ^-ears, his assistants being the
Rev. Messrs. Janvier, Bertrand, Badin, Jr., Bellam}^ Dejoin, Her-
mann, Garrith, Kelly, Badin, Sr., Cummings and Carabin. An
organization, termed the Scinapa exploring company, departed
from Detroit October 9th, to explore the northern portion of the
lower peninsular, the account of which was published in the
National Intelligencer. The first Episcopal clergvman who resided
in Detroit, the Rev. Alanson W. Welton, arrived and commenced
his work as teacher. September 18, William Woodbridge was
re-appointed Secretary and acting Governor. Solomon Sibley
re-elected a delegate to Congress.

1822. — The second steamboat on the western waters reached Detroit
May 25. She was commanded by Capt. J. Rogers. December,
General Cass was reappointed Governor. The Methodist church,
of Detroit, was incorporated by the Governor and Judges. The



— 93 —

name of Governor Cass is appended to the articles of incorpora-
tion. The Rev. Joshua Moore, from Virginia, succeeds the Rev.
John Monteith as pastor of the First Protestant Church.

1823. — Foundation of the First Methodist church edifice laid on the
corner of Gratiot and Farrar street. Right Rev. Gabriel Rich-
ards elected as a delegate to Congress. The Governor and
Judges, as legislators, are superseded, the President appointing a
legislative council of nine. It being necessary for the protection of
the building that the roof of the First Methodist church should be
put on, a bee was made by the mechanics of Detroit and on one
Sunday they assembled and completed the work, William Wood-
bridge, Secretary and acting Governor September 29th.

1824, — June 7th the first territorial council met in Detroit: President,
Abraham Edwards; John P. Sheldon, George A. O'Keefe and
Edmund A. Brush, clerks; Morris Jackson, sergeant at arms.
The members were Robert Irwing, of Brown county, now
Wisconsin; John Stockton and Joseph Miller, of Macomb; William
H. Puthuff, of Michilmackinac ; Hubert Lacroix and Wolcott
Lawrence, of Monroe ; Stephen Mack and Roger Sprague, of
Oakland ; Zephania Barrie, of St. Clair, and Abraham Edwards,
of Wayne. Rev. John Weston, an Episcopal clergyman, succeeds,
temporarily, the Rev. Joshua Moore as pastor of the first Protest-
ant church. Rev. Richard F. Cadle established the first Episcopal
society, denominated St. Paul's church. They met at the Council
house, corner of Randolph street and Jefferson avenue. General
John R. Williams was elected mayor, under the charter granted by
the territorial council. Thanksgiving day first observed Novem-
ber 25.

1825. — The members from Detroit of the first territorial legislature
August 5 were: Abraham Edwards, president ; John P. Sheldon,
George A. O'Keefe and E. A. Brush, clerks, and Morris Jackson
was sergeant-at-arms. Rev. Noah M. Wells, of Brown ville. New
York, became the pastor of the First Protestant society, which
had now become mostly composed of Presbyterians owing to the
organization of the Methodist and Episcopal churches, and under
the ministry of Mr. Wells was changed to the First Presbyterian
church, and was taken in charge by the presbytery of Geneva,
New York. Owing to ill health, Mr. Wells was never installed its
pastor. Legislative council increased to thirteen members.
Austin E. Wing was elected a delegate to Congress. New fire
engine purchased for the city. Historical Society organized;
Lewis Cass, president. He was re-appointed Governor Decem-
ber 22d.



— 94 —

1826. — Wm. Woodbridge re-appointed Secretary and acting Governor,
August 31. Henry J. Hunt elected Mayor of Detroit. The
troops of the United States withdrawn from Fort Shelby ; James
Watson Webb was a lieutenant at the time. The Thespian
Society organized by Col. Edward Brooks and Major John Biddle.
United States opened road to Saginaw, and Pontiac Turnpike was
estabhshed.

1827. — The Baptist Church first organized ; Rev. Henry Davis, of
Brockport, New York, pastor. Grosse Point was reached at this
time by a road along the river as far as B. Chapoton and Peter
VanEvery's, now Wesson place, thence on a line of the present
road. First shipment of Michigan flour to the east by Miller &
Tremain, of Monroe. The City and Catholic cemeteries were
established near where Clinton park and St. Mary's Hospital now
are. November 12, the dark day. Austin E. Wing, re-elected a
delegate to Congress. The first Methodist church building com-
pleted, Elias Pattee, pastor. Protection Fire Company No. i,
organized in 1825, had a rival in Eagle No. 2,

1828. — In consequence of the opening of Grand River, Chicago and
Saginaw turnpikes, there was a great rush of emigration and large



Online LibraryFred. (Frederick) CarlisleChronography of notable events in the history of the Northwest territory and Wayne County → online text (page 9 of 51)