Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 26 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 26 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


side, one of the suburbs of Paterson.

After the business had been well established, Mr.
Baer admitted his father to partnership with himself,
and in 1898 the plant was removed to Lehighton, where
large and modern buildings had been specially erected.



HISTORY OF CAEBON COUNTY. , 357

This industry now gives employment to more people
than any other in Lehighton.

In 1903 Mr. Baer purchased his father's interest in
the business and the concern was incorporated under
the style and title of The Baer Company, the heads of
the various departments in the mill being permitted to
become stockholders, while Mr. Baer assumed the
presidency of the company. In 1907 a branch mill was
erected at Berwick, Pa., and this has a capacity not
much less than the mill at Lehighton.

Mr. Baer is also a partner and stockholder in the
Helvetia Silk Mills, and is a member of the board of
directors. He was chiefly instrumental in the organi-
zation of the Citizens' National Bank of Lehighton, of
which institution he was president for several years.
He resigned from this position June 23, 1910.

In December, 1889, Mr. Baer was united in marriage
to Miss Cora B. Tice, daughter of David and Elizabeth
Tice. Their children are : Cora E., Genevieve R., Rose
L. and Eugene W., twins; Carlos A. and Margie E.
Baer. All were born in Paterson excepting Margie,
who claims Lehighton as the place of her nativity.
Cora and Genevieve are now enrolled as students at the
National Park Seminary, a select school for young
women, at Washington, D. C.

Mr. Baer is an active member and liberal supporter
of the Presbyterian church.

Balliet, Dr. Calvin J., a Lehighton physician and
surgeon, is the son of Nathan and Sarah (Meinhard)
Balliet. He is one of the numerous descendants of
Paulus Balliet, a native of Alsace, Germany, who was
born in the year 1717. Emigrating to America on the
ship "Robert Oliver," Walter Goodman commanding,
he landed on September 10, 1738, becoming one of the
pioneer settlers of North Whitehall township, Lehigh



368 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

county. He was a large landowner, and was a well-
known inn keeper, being commonly referred to as
''Bowl" Balliet, a name which, according to tradi-
tion, was conferred upon him by the Indians, to whom
he was accustomed to furnish refreshments from a
wooden bowl.

Calvin J. Balliet was born in Mahoning township on
January 11, 1875. His early training was received in
the common schools of that district, and at the Normal
Institute. Later he attended Palatinate College, Mey-
erstown. Pa., and the Polytechnic Institute, of Balti-
more. Entering Jefferson Medical College, he was
graduated with the class of 1897, after which he took a
post-graduate course at the Polyclinic Hospital, Phila-
delphia.

In the fall of 1897 he located in Lehighton, where he
has since practiced his profession, having built up a
good practice among the friends and associates of his
lifetime. He holds membership in the Carbon County
Medical Society, the Pennsylvania Medical Society, the
Lehigh Valley Medical Society and the American Med-
ical Association.

Dr. Balliet was married in 1898 to Meta, daughter of
Dennis Nothstein, of Mahoning township. They are
the parents of six sons : Herman, Henry, Calvin, Jos-
eph, Robert and Thomas.

Balliet, Lewis F., a justice of the peace at Bowmans-
town, is a member of that numerous tribe, now scatter-
ed throughout many lands, who trace their lineage
back to the chevalier and noble French race of the
Balyards, which is already found at the time of the
French King Clodwig.

At about the year 500 the forefather of this family
was commander of the armies of King Clodwig. His
name was Tancred Le Balyard, which in the old French



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. • 359

language signified ''a warrior with many scars," as
Tancred at his death, in the year 524, counted more
than one hundred scars on his body.

He left two sons, Hugo and Alfred. Hugo entered
the clerical career and died as Archbishop of Mailance.
But Alfred settled, after many warfares, in Nor-
mandy. He adopted in his coat of arms the head of a
man, round which was tied a bandage, as a sign of the
many wounds of his father; on top of the helmet he
carried a rooster, which signified the love for battle
and the warrior's valor. These arms his descendants
also adopted and maintained, and from thence it has
become the coat of arms of the family.

Alfred had two sons, Franz and Raynold. Their de-
scendants yet flourished in great numbers about the
year 1066. But then most of the race went over to
England with the Norman Duke, William, settling in
the County Sussex. Their descendants are flourishing
to-day in England, Scotland and Belgium.

Only a certain Gaulther Balyard remained in France.
He was a valiant warrior, and died in the year 1099 at
the storming of Jerusalem in the first holy war. His
descendants were highly esteemed as warriors and as
statesmen, but squandered very much of their sub-
stance during the civil and religious wars of France.
One line of this family emigrated to Germany, living in
the province of Alsace on the Rhine. Paulus Balliet,
pioneer of the family in America, was born in Ger-
many, of Huguenot parentage, 1717. At the age of 21
he was compelled to seek refuge, with many other
French Protestants, in foreign countries on account of
the religious persecution to which the Huguenots were
subjected after the revocation of the famous edict of
Nantes by King Louis XIV. He embarked for America
on board the ship ''Robert Oliver," Sept. 10, 1738, and



370 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

located in what is now called Whitehall township, Le-
high county. There he became a large landholder, own-
ing the ground on which Coplay, Whitehall and Bal-
lietsville now stand. He died March 19, 1777. He had
five sons and four daughters. One of these sons, Ste-
phen Balliet, was born in 1753. He engaged in the mer-
cantile business at the old stand of his father in White-
hall township. Taking an active part in politics he
became a member of the state legislature in 1789. He
was also a revenue collector of the United States gov-
ernment. Tradition has it that he took part in the
battle of Brandywine under Washington. Papers are
still in existence bearing the title of colonel prefixed to
his name. He was married to Magdalena Burkhalter,
with whom he had two sons, named Stephen and Jo-
seph. His death occurred Aug. 4, 1821. Stephen Balliet
was born Oct. 27, 1781, and lived till late in life in
Whitehall township, when he came to East Penn, Car-
bon county, where he died in 1854, at the age of 72
years, leaving seven sons and four daughters.

John Balliet, one of these sons, and the father of
Lewis F. Balliet, was born Nov. 13, 1819, at Whitehall,
Lehigh county, coming to Carbon county with the fam-
ily of his father. He married Amanda Rahrig, with
whom he had eleven children; three sons and two
daughters survive: John of Reading, Harry of Slate-
dale, Lehigh county; Lewis of Bowmanstown, Emma,
wife of John Semmel, of East Penn township, and
Martha, wife of James Neyer, of Slatington.

John Balliet was an extensive real estate holder and
was the owner of Balliet 's charcoal furnace at Ash-
field. He conducted the first store in Bowmanstown,
was the owner of the Bowmanstown Hotel and was in-
terested in various business and industrial enterprises
in the Lehigh Valley. He died Jan. 5, 1886.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 371

Lewis F. Balliet was born in East Penn township,
Nov. 4, 1863. Having received a common school edu-
cation, he also attended Kingston Seminary, finishing
his education at Tremont Seminary, Norristown, Pa.
During the lifetime of his father he assisted him in
the conduct of his manifold enterprises. For a period
of years Mr. Balliet conducted a farm in East Penn
township, being also engaged in the lumber business.
He held the office of school director in Lower Towa-
mensing township for a number of terms, while he has
been a justice of the peace since 1900. He is a Repub-
lican and has played an influential part in county pol-
itics.

Mr. Balliet was wedded, in 1881, to Henrietta, daugh-
ter of Josiah Bowman, of Bowmanstown. The pair
have had eight children, six of whom are now living.
Their names follow: Benjamin, Harvey, Raymond,
William, Flossie and Anna. Flossie is the wife of
Milton Sherer, of Bowmanstown.

Balliet, Nathan M., the senior member of the law
firm of Balliet & Seidel, of Lehighton, is a representa-
tive of one of Carbon county's foremost professional
families.

Balliet is a name that has been prominent in eastern
Pennsylvania since Colonial times. Joseph Balliet,
the grandfather of N. M. Balliet, was a farmer in that
portion of the Mahoning Valley which was formerly
embraced in the territory of Northampton county, but
which in 1811 became a part of Schuylkill county. The
father of N. M. Balliet also bore the name of Nathan,
and he was born in West Penn township, Schuylkill
county. He was a farmer by occupation. In early life
he was married to Sarah Meinhard, who was born at
Nesquehoning, but spent her girlhood in the Mahoning
Valley.



372 ; HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Their children were : Thomas M., Francis S., Tilgh-
man M., Nathan M., Andrew J., David M., Calvin J.,
Susan, Mary, Hannah, Emma and Amanda.

Thomas was for six years the superintendent of
schools for Carbon county. Later he was superintend-
ent of the schools of Springfield, Massachusetts, while
he is now the dean of the school of pedagogy of the
University of New York. He bears a national reputa-
tion as an educator. Francis is a farmer, and lives on
the old homestead. Tilghman is a practising physician
in Philadelphia ; he also holds the chair of theraputics
at Dartmouth Medical College. Andrew is an attorney
at Seattle, Washington, and for a time he held a judi-
cial position under the federal government in Alaska.
David is a traveling salesman, living at Meyerstown,
Pennsylvania. Calvin is a physician at Lehighton,
while Susan is the wife of Edwin Hunsinger, of the
same place. Mary, Hannah, and Emma remain at
home; Amanda is married to Daniel W. Sittler, Esq.,
of Mauch Chunk. The father of this family died in
1896.

N. M. Balliet was born in Mahoning township. Car-
bon county, on October 19, 1861. He acquired his
early education in the public schools and at the Nor-
mal Institute, located in his native township and
founded by his brother. Prof. Thomas M. Balliet. He
attended Kutztown State Normal School, and later
studied at Franklin and Marshall College, from which
he graduated with the class of 1886. Mr. Balliet taught
in the public schools for a few years, after which he
became an instructor in Greek and Latin at Palatinate
College. Accepting a professorship at Ursinus Col-
lege, he taught Latin and Eoman literature there for
two years, during which time he was also president of
the summer school of languages at the same college.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 373

Forsaking the profession of teaching, he entered the
New York Law School, from which he was graduated
in 1895. Being admitted to practise in the courts of
the state of New York, he maintained an office in New
York city for a brief period.

In the fall of 1895 Mr. Balliet was admitted to the
Carbon county bar, succeeding to the practise of the
late Senator William M. Rapsher, and opening an of-
fice in Lehighton. In 1896 he formed a partnership
with his brother-in-law, Ira E. Seidel, under the firm
name of Balliet & Seidel, and in addition to the office
in Lehighton, they maintain a branch at Palmerton.

Mr. Balliet is a member of the board of education of
Lehighton, while he is connected fraternally with the
Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He is a member of the board of trustees of the Allen-
town College for Women, and of the Publication Board
of the Reformed Church of the United States.

N. M. Balliet was married to Emma L., daughter of
Hon. Charles H. Seidel and his wife Kate, of Ma-
honing township, on August 6, 1891. Their children
are: Charles M., Paul, Nevin, and Katie S. Balliet.

Ban, Rev. W. Penn, A.M., pastor of Zion's Evan-
gelical Lutheran church at Weatherly, was born at
Mauch Chunk, February 16, 1867. He is a grandson of
John Barr, who was a prominent business man of
Berks county. His father was Francis A. Barr, a
merchant tailor, also born in Berks county ; his mother
bore the maiden name of Lizzie A. Helffrich, a native
of Lehigh county.

William Penn Barr is one of a family of ten chil-
dren ; when he was four years old his parents removed
to Lyons, Berks county, where he received his early
education. Later he accompanied the family of his
father to the state of Delaware, and after a residence



374 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

of five years they established their home at Elizabeth-
ville, Dauphin county, Pa. Following the trade of his
father, Mr. Barr was for a number of years a merchant
tailor, and then a bookkeeper. Entering Muhlenberg
College, he graduated in 1896 with the degree of A.B.
Three years later he graduated from the Lutheran
Theological Seminary at Mt. Airy, Philadelphia, and
was honored with the degree of A.M. by Muhlenberg
College. Immediately upon his graduation he accepted
a call from Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, of
Mt. Joy, Pa. After serving this congregation for four
years, he assumed the duties of his present pastorate
at Weatherly, July 1, 1903. This charge also includes
a preaching point at Lowrytown and St. Matthew's
church in Packer township ; he preaches at each on al-
ternate Sundays in the afternoon. Under Kev. Barr's
pastorate the church at Weatherly was enlarged and
rebuilt at an outlay of seven thousand dollars. The
church in Packer township was also remodeled and
greatly improved. The debt so incurred has been liqui-
dated in full, while much of the good showing that has
been made by the congregations which he serves is
due to his qualities of leadership.

Eev. Barr was first married to Miss Laura M. Swab,
of Elizabethville, Daup^hin county, March 25, 1890,
several years before he began his career as a student.
She died on September 29, 1906, having borne him
three children: Bernice E., Margaret V., and Francis
A. Barr. Bernice was until recently located at Ches-
ter, S. C, where she presided over the organ of the
Presbyterian church.

Mr. Barr was re-married to Mary A. Koch, of
Weatherly, October 25, 1907. She is a daughter of
Hugh Koch and his wife Fietta, of McKeansburg,
Schuylkill county.



HISTOKY OF CARBON COUNTY. 375

Bauman, Dennis, an honored representative of one
of Carbon county's pioneer families, now living in re-
tirement at Allentown, was born at Bowmanstown,
then a part of Northampton county, on April 10, 1819.
The pioneer of his family in America was John Deter
Bauman, who is known to have purchased land near
the mouth of Lizard creek, in what is now East Penn
township. Carbon county, in the year 1760. He was
one of the first settlers of Northampton county north
of the Blue mountains. Not only did he become an
extensive land owner in this portion of the county, but
he was also a successful hunter and trapper, as were
his descendants for several generations. He was the
father of four children: Bernhard, Henry, Mary, and
Sabilla.

Henry settled near the point where St. John's
church now stands in Lower Towamensing township,
and about two miles north of Lehigh Gap, following
farming and lumbering. His family consisted of two
sons and two daughters. Occasionally the family was
threatened by the Indians, and in one instance the
head of the household sent his wife and children to a
place near Easton for safety, while he remained alone
in the wilderness.

The elder son, John D., the father of Dennis Bau-
man, was born about the year 1772. In 1796 he settled
where Bowmanstown now stands, erecting a dwelling
of logs. He became a farmer and lumberman, and,
like his predecessors, he spent much time in hunting
and trapping. In 1808 he built a large and substantial
stone house, and obtaining a license he conducted it as
a hotel until the year 1853, the time of his death. The
house was on the line of the old turnpike leading from
Berwick to Easton, and was a stopping place for trav-
elers on that highway.



376 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Mr. Bauman served as a commissioner of Carbon
county for the term of three years. He was the father
of twelve children and was respected and loved by all
who knew him. His brother, Henry, settled on a farm
a short distance north of Lehigh Gap, on the east bank
of the river, where he spent his entire life. He, too,
reared a large family, and died at the advanced age of
ninety-two years.

Dennis Bauman in early life assisted his father in
his farming and lumbering operations, receiving the
educational equipment then afforded by the district
schools, and later pursuing a course of study at a
boarding school in Bucks county, where he was in at-
tendance for two successive winters. Mastering the
art of a surveyor, he followed this as his principal
occupation for nine years, being appointed also as
deputy surveyor of Carbon county by Governor Shunk.
In 1849 he was elected to the office of prothonotary,
while three years later his conduct of the affairs of the
office was given the stamp of public approval in his
unanimous re-election. He was next chosen as one of
the associate judges of the county, serving in that ca-
pacity for five years.

About the year 1855 he became a member of the firm
of Bauman Brothers and Company, which established
and operated an anthracite blast furnace at Parryville.
Upon the dissolution of this co-partnership, of which
Mr. Bauman was the acting financial member, in 1857,
the Carbon Iron Company was organized and incor-
porated. He was chosen as its president, and was regu-
larly re-elected from year to year until 1876. The
great panic which was then in progress closed down
most of the iron manufacturing establishments of the
Lehigh Valley, and the plant at Parryville proved no
exception, the property passing to the Carbon Iron and



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 377

Pipe Company. After this Mr. Bauman spent most
of his time in looking after his private interests.

He was one of the founders of the Carbon Metallic
Paint Company, which was organized about 1867, serv-
ing as a member of its board of directors until 1902,
and being the secretary and treasurer of the company
during most of that time. He was also one of the or-
ganizers of the First National Bank of Lehighton, in
1875, being a member of its board of directors for
more than a quarter of a century, and for a time its
vice-president.

When Parryville was incorporated as a borough, in
1875, Mr. Bauman was honored in being chosen as the
first chief burgess of the town, which position he held
for several terms, finally declining further re-election,
but serving as a member of the borough council for
years thereafter. He became a member of the Mauch
Chunk lodge of Odd Fellows in 1849, still retaining his
membership, and never having joined any other lodge
or club. His partner in life was Mary, daughter of
Henry Kress, of Northampton county. Four sons and
a daughter were born to them. The wife and mother
died on March 7, 1904, and in the fall of that year Mr.
Bauman took up his residence with a daughter at Al-
lentown, where he has since remained. He has been an
earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal church,
and a loyal Sunday school supporter since 1858, having
filled many offices of honor and trust in these societies.
He is indeed a grand old man in the full sense of the
term, looking back from the eminence of years with
patriarchal serenity upon his long life of probity and
usefulness.

Berger, Adam, a hotel keeper of East Penn town-
ship, and a former member of the board of county
auditors, is the son of George and Kate (Kemmerer)



378 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Berger. His father was a native of Berks County.
Establishing himself in the mercantile business at Ma-
hanoy City, he remained there for a few years. Later
he followed the occupation of a farmer in Mahoning
and East Penn townships.

Adam Berger was born in Berks county on November
12, 1861. His early life was spent beneath the paternal
roof, while his educational advantages were those sup-
plied by the public schools. Eeaching man's estate, he
engaged in farming in Mahoning township, later pur-
suing the same occupation in East Penn. In 1892 he
entered the hotel business in the latter township, where
he has since lived, excepting a residence of a few years
in Lehighton. He served one term as tax collector of
East Penn township, and is now a member of the
school board of that district.

In 1902, as the nominee of the Democratic party, he
was elected to the office of county auditor, which he
held for three years.

At the age of twenty he was married to Priscilla,
daughter of Joseph Ruch, of East Penn township.
Their children are : George V., Emma S., wife of Ed-
ward Exner, and Stanley J. Berger.

Mr. Berger is identified with the Patriotic Order of
Sons of America, the Junior Order of United Amer-
ican Mechanics, and the Order of Independent Ameri-
cans.

Bevan, James J., who has been superintendent of
schools for Carbon county since 1902, is of Welsh
parentage, his father, William E. Bevan, having been
born in Glamorganshire, Wales, in 1829. At the age
of 21 he was united in marriage to Ann Jenkins, at
Merthyr Tidvil. Shortly after their marriage the
young couple emigrated to the United States, settling
near Pottsville, Schuylkill county, Pa., where Mr.





CZ^^?XjC4/



/■



/^.






^^.t.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. , 379

Bevan became a coal miner. After a short residence
there, the family removed to Tresckow, Carbon county,
where the father became an influential member of the
community and a prominent factor in Banks township
politics. In 1873 he was elected to the office of county
treasurer. He died in 1884.

James J. Bevan was born at Tresckow, January 31,
1861. At the age of fifteen he accompanied his fa-
ther's family to Alabama, where the elder Bevan held
an executive position about a soft coal mine. During
his stay in the south, James was a student at the
Shelby Collegiate Institute, located near Birmingham.
Returning to the north in 1881, he was for a short time
employed as a hoisting engineer at the mines near
Tresckow. He then entered West Chester State Nor-
mal School, where he pursued a scientific course. Two
years after his graduation, this institution conferred
the degree of M.S. upon him.

During 1882 and 1883, Mr. Bevan occupied the posi-
tion of principal of the public schools of Leviston,
Banks township, while in 1885 he was elected to the
principalship of the schools of Mauch Chunk, in which
capacity he served until called to the superintendency
of the schools of the county, in 1902.

That he has filled this responsible position accept-
ably and well is attested by the fact that he is now
serving his fourth term, having been thrice re-elected
with scarcely any opposition. During his incumbency
he has had an eye single to the advancement of the
cause of education throughout the county, and he has
labored with especial diligence for the uplift of the
rural schools. He proceeds on the assumption that
the schools in towns and boroughs under his jurisdic-
tion, being governed by the principal in charge, do not
stand as much in need of supervision and encourage-



380 HISTORY OF CABBON COUNTY.

ment, perhaps, as do the rural schools, often officered
by recruits in the educational ranks, who are com-
pelled to overcome the obstacles and difficulties that
confront them as best they may, without the guiding
care and supervision of a principal.

Largely through his influence, agriculture is now
being taught in most of the schools of the rural dis-
tricts of the county, giving those in attendance a better
understanding of their environment and opportunities,
and tending toward the solution of the problem which
is presented by overcrowding in cities and the conse-
quent increase in the cost of living. He also lays spe-
cial stress on the importance of thorough training in
English, holding that the highest accomplishment a
boy or girl can have is to know well the mother tongue.

Mr. Bevan is now the presidentof the Association of
County Superintendents of Pennsylvania, and has for
years taken an active interest in the work of the State
Educational Association.

He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, and is a communicant of the Presbyterian



Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 26 of 44)