Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 30 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 30 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ship. Carbon county, in 1796. He attended the com-
mon schools of the neighborhood, which in that early
day were limited to the elementary branches, Wolfe's
Academy, and a school in the Irish Settlement for a
few months. About 1822 he accompanied his father to
Lehigh Gap, Carbon county, where he was the proprie-
tor of an hotel in the management of which he achieved
a large degree of financial success, and subsequently
turned his attention to agricultural pursuits and the
lumber business, in both of which enterprises he was
successful. He, too, was prominent in public affairs,
and in 1828 became captain of what was known as the
Troop of Horse in the Pennsylvania militia. Mr.
Craig was married twice. His first wife was a Miss
Kuntz, who bore him two sons, Thomas and Samuel.
His second wife was Catherine Hagenbach, daughter
of John Hagenbach, then proprietor of an hotel at
Lehighton. Their children were: Thomas, deceased,
who represented his district for four years in the house
of representatives, and three years in the senate ; John,
mentioned at length hereinafter ; Eliza, who became the
wife of General Charles Heckman, an officer in the
Mexican and Civil wars, and a resident of German-
town ; Hon. Allen, for many years a leading attorney at



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 423

Mauch Chunk, and the incumbent of the office of dis-
trict judge; William, a resident of Nebraska; Robert,
a graduate of West Point Military Academy, and an
officer of the regular army. Thomas, the father of
these children, died in 1858; his wife, Catherine (Hag-
enbach) Craig, died in 1871.

Colonel John Craig, second son of Thomas and Cath-
erine (Hagenbach) Craig, was born in Lehigh Gap,
Carbon county, October 23, 1831. In boyhood he at-
tended the schools of the district, and in 1850 went to
Easton, where his education was completed at a pri-
ate school conducted by Rev. John Vanderveer. He
then became connected with his father in the lumber
business, and after the death of the latter, in 1858,
devoted some time to the settlement of the estate; he
also continued the management of the business. In
1857, at the age of twenty-six, he was elected captain
of a cavalry company, which position he held up to
the time of the Civil War. He was one of the first vol-
unteers in the defense of the government, enlisting
April 22, 1861, for three months' service, and was com-
missioned captain of Company I, Sixth Regiment
Pennsylvania Infantry, which took part in the military
operations in Virginia and Maryland. On August 30,
1861, he re-enlisted, and was commissioned captain of
Company N, Twenty-eighth Regiment Pennsylvania
Infantry, which was afterwards merged into Company
C, One Hundred and Forty-seventh Regiment. Among
the battles in which he participated were those of An-
tietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Lookout Moun-
tain, Missionary Ridge, Ringgold, Chattanooga, and
the various engagements from Atlanta to the sea under
General Sherman, including the battle of Peach Tree
Creek. Enlisting as a captain, he was promoted suc-
cessively to the rank of major, lieutenant-colonel, and



424 ! HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

colonel. He participated in the grand review in Wash-
ington, D. C, and July 15, 1865, was honorably dis-
charged from the service of the United States govern-
ment in whose behalf he labored long and faithfully
during the darkest days of its history.

Resuming the life of a civilian. Colonel Craig formed
a partnership with his brother in the general mercan-
tile business under the style of J. and W. Craig, at
Lehigh Gap, and this business relationship continued
until 1882, when W. Craig withdrew his interest,
after which Colonel Craig became sole proprietor. In
addition to the management of this extensive enter-
prise, he was also a dealer in coal, lumber and ferti-
lizers. In 1866-67 he contracted for and built four and
a half miles of the Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad,
which was in course of construction at that time. In
1880 he became president of the Carbon Metallic Paint
Company, while he was a director of the First National
Bank of Slatington from the date of its organization,
in 1875, until his death. He was a shrewd and capable
business man, and all his transactions were character-
ized by fairness, integrity and justice, which was the
secret of the success he attained during his career as
a business man. He always took a keen interest in
every measure calculated to promote the general well
being of the people of his native state and of the coun-
try at large, being especially interested along educa-
tional lines. He was particularly well versed in the
early history of Carbon county and of the whole Lehigh
Valley. He was for five years a school director, served
for a number of years as postmaster of Lehigh Gap,
and from 1884 to 1886 represented his district in the
lower house of the state legislature. He aflfiliated him-
self with the Democratic party on attaining his major-
ity, and always supported its candidates and the meas-




ASTOR, LIHOX AKO






^^^^|b ^ id^^BH^^^^^V^^wiRiH





1






R


^^^^^gju j^SB^KL




hi




1


■■


W


1


H.


■ ■■HjlaEfa'i^rj -jl^Sfen : -.-. :


^J





HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 425

ures it championed. He belonged to the Loyal Legion,
Pennsylvania Commandery, at Philadelphia; and
Chapman Post, No. 61, Grand Army of the Republic,
at Mauch Chunk.

In the fall of 1866 Colonel Craig was united in mar-
riage to Emma Insley, daughter of Philip and Hen-
rietta Insley, residents of the Irish Settlement, near
Bath, Northampton county, Pennsylvania. The fol-
lowing children were the issue of this union : Thomas,
Charles, P. Insley, H. Tyndale, Henrietta, wife of T.
Griffin; Mary, Allen D., and John D., deceased.

The body of Colonel Craig lies buried in the old
Towamensing Cemetery near Palmerton.

Craig, Hon. Thomas B., one of the members of the
board of commissioners of Carbon county, is the eldest
son of the late Colonel John Craig and his wife, Emma
(Insley) Craig. He was born at Lehigh Gap, Carbon
county, on April 6, 1867, and received his early educa-
tion in the public schools of Lower Towamensing town-
ship and in those of the borough of Slatington, Lehigh
county. Later he attended Wyoming Seminary, at
Kingston, Pa.

He began his business career in 1885, when, at the
age of eighteen years, he entered the mercantile estab-
lishment of his father at Lehigh Gap. Under his in-
struction he also became a surveyor, and has surveyed
much of the land in the locality in which he lives.

Colonel Craig becoming ill in the year 1900, Thomas
assumed active control of his extensive business inter-
ests. In 1908 the father died, and the conduct of the
estate was turned over to Thomas and his brother, H.
Tyndale Craig, who continue the business under the
style of John Craig & Company, being dealers in gen-
eral merchandise, coal, flour and feed.



426 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Mr. Craig has inherited much of the public spirit dis-
played by his ancestors, and has for years been promi-
nent in the councils of the Democracy of Carbon coun-
ty. He served as secretary of the school board of
Lower Towamensing township for six years, and was
Democratic county chairman for four years. In 1898
he was elected to membership in the state legislature,
serving his constituents with intelligence and fidelity.
He was chosen as a county commissioner in 1911, and
has on several occasions represented the Democracy of
his native county in the state conventions of the party
and at the congressional conferences of the district.

Mr. Craig was one of the organizers of the First
National Bank of Palmerton, of which he is the vice-
president and one of the board of directors. He is a
member of the Masonic order, belongs to the Odd Fel-
lows and to the Sons of Veterans, while being the pres-
ident of Palmerton 's newly organized fire department.

In September, 1889, Mr. Craig was married to Lil-
lie J. Kreamer, youngest daughter of Dr. J. C.
Kreamer, of Millport, Carbon county.

Davies, George M., for many years prominently
connected with the mining industry of the Lehigh coal
region, and one of the most public spirited citizens of
Lansford, was born in South Wales, January 1, 1848.
His parents were Stephen and Sarah (Edwardes)
Davies. During his early teens he came to America,
locating at Harleigh, Luzerne county. Pa. He began
life as a slate picker, later becoming a contract miner.
For some years he lived in Hazleton, and at various
times employed a large number of men in the oper-
ations of that region.

In 1883 Mr. Davies came to Lansford, where he
achieved his greatest successes, and in the develop-
ment and upbuilding of which place he has played a





^Pty^l/'ZZ^^^^



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 427

leading part. For nearly twenty-one years he worked
the Spring Tunnel mine, the oldest anthracite under-
ground operation in the country, for the Lehigh Coal
and Navigation Company. He also operated a number
of other colleries for the same company during the
twenty-seven years that he followed mining in the
Panther Creek Valley.

Aside from this, Mr. Davies has been a man of many
interests and activities. He was one of the organizers
of the Panther Valley Electric Light, Heat and Power
Company, of which he has been president for the past
twelve years, and was a prime mover in the establish-
ment of the First National Bank of Lansford, being
still a director of this institution. He also assisted in
the organization of the American Fire Company and
the Panther Valley Building and Loan Association.

Mr. Davies has figured prominently in the councils
of the Eepublican party since becoming a citizen of
the county. He is familiarly referred to as the "Little
Napoleon" of Carbon county politics, which sobriquet
was conferred upon him for his aggressive disposition
and his combative abilities.

While living in Hazle township, Luzerne county, he
was chosen as assessor, being the first Republican
elected to that office in the history of the township.
During his incumbency as chairman of the Carbon
county Republican committee, most of the county of-
fices were turned over by the Democrats to the Repub-
licans.

In 1890 he was the nominee of his party for congress
in what was then the Eighth District. Although de-
feated, he reduced the usual Democratic majority of
eleven thousand to six thousand. He was also an un-
successful candidate for the office of associate judge
of the county. In 1892 he was elected burgess of Lans-



428 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

ford, serving for several terms. He has also served
as president of town council and the school board of
the borough, besides filling a number of other offices.

He is a trustee of the Ashland State Hospital and of
the East Stroudsburg State Normal School, while
being a member of the state commission on mine caves,
to which he was appointed by Governor Tener.

An incident which occurred during the Spanish-
American War serves to illustrate Mr. Davies' pa-
triotic spirit and his well known liberality. As a re-
sult of official red tape and confusion in the War
Department, the Fourth Pennsylvania Regiment found
itself without the means of procuring rations on the
eve of its departure from Mt. Gretna for the seat of
war.

In this emergency, Mr. Davies, who was a visitor at
Mt. Gretna, generously volunteered to feed the entire
regiment at his own expense.

This incident is related by Captain Baird H. Halber-
stadt, of Pottsville.

In 1870 Mr. Davies was married to Mary J. Hill, of
Harleigh, Luzerne county. They have eight surviving
children.

Fraternally he is connected with the Odd Fellows,
and is prominent in Masonic circles. He is a member
of the Episcopal church.

Davies, Isaac M., mine inspector of the Seventeenth
Anthracite District of Pennsylvania, comprising the
county of Carbon and a portion of Schuylkill, is the
son of Stephen and Sarah (Edwardes) Davies. His
father was an iron refiner of Glamorganshire, Wales.

Born at Cwymavon, South Wales, in 1854, Isaac M.
Davies crossed the Atlantic to New York at the age of
sixteen as a cabin boy on board the Nova Scotia bark
Kate, Captain E. J. Murphy commanding.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 429

Being then in quest of adventure, rather than in
search of a permanent home, he sailed for South Amer-
ica, having spent some time at Harleigh, Luzerne
county. Pa., where his brother, George M. Davies, was
located, and at other points in the coal fields. After
leading the free life of a plainsman in Uruguay and the
Argentine Republic for a period of nearly two years,
he returned to his home in Wales, where he worked in
the coal mines.

Coming to America for a second time, he was accom-
panied by his brother, William H. Davies, who is now
the division superintendent of the Lehigh Valley Coal
Company at Hazleton, Pa. At the age of twenty-five,
Mr. Davies went to Australia, where he was engaged
as a miner of both gold and coal for nearly a dozen
years. Returning to the United States in 1890, after
making a complete circle of the globe, he located perm-
anently at Lansford, Pa., where he still lives.

He became a mine foreman for the Lehigh Coal and
Navigation Company, and in 1907 attained to the posi-
tion which he now holds, being re-elected without op-
position in 1911. Mr. Davies is the first resident of
Carbon county yet elected to this office. He was one of
the organizers of the corps giving first aid to the in-
jured in the mines about Lansford, and was one of the
original trustees of the Panther Creek Valley Hospital,
situated at Coal Dale, Schuylkill county.

Mr. Davies is a member of the various Masonic bod-
ies, while being connected with the St. David 's society,^
of Lansford, and the Episcopal church. ^

He was married on April 4, 1882, to Sarah, daugh-
ter of William Davies, in New South Wales, Australia.
She is a native of Blaenavon, South Wales. Five of
their eight children, George B., Minnie M., Stephen H.,
Stella G., and William W., were born in Australia.



430 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

David R., Isaac E., and Marion were born at Lansford.
Minnie is the wife of John Corville, of Wilmington,
Del., and Stella is married to Luke Yocnm, living at
Loag, near Reading, Pa.

Derrick, John D., a dealer in sawed lumber and
mine timber, at Weatherly, owner of the Lehigh Valley
Facing Mill, of Jeanesville, Luzerne county, and oper-
ating several farms in the Laurytown Valley, is a na-
tive of Shoemakersville, Berks county. Pa., where he
was born on November 23, 1846. He is the son of
John K. Derrick, while his mother bore the maiden
name of Mary Schlear. They were the parents of thir-
teen children.

In 1857 the family removed from Berks county to
Tumbling Run, Schuylkill county, where the subject of
this sketch grew to maturity on his father 's farm. He
learned the trade of a blacksmith, which his father had
also followed, but after a time became a dealer in
cattle.

In 1872 he established himself at Hauto, Mauch
Chunk township. Carbon county, forming a partner-
ship with his brother-in-law, R. E. Miller, Sr., and en-
gaging in the lumber business. He lived here for sev-
enteen years, later residing for eleven years at Nesque-
honing, and four at Hudsondale. While living at the
last named place, Mr. Derrick purchased the interest of
his partner and has since conducted the business on
his own account with uniform success.

For the past seven years he has lived at Weatherly.
While lumbering has been Mr. Derrick's principal vo-
cation, he has also shown a fondness for agricultural
pursuits, in which his early training, coujoled with
sturdy common sense and executive ability have com-
bined to give him a place among the leading farmers
of this portion of the county.



Th^ NEW YORpf
I PUBLIC LIBRARY '

I ASTOR, LE»<ox AND r



HISTORY OF CAEBON COUNTY. 431

In 1894 lie opened the Lehigh Valley Facing Mill at
Hazleton, recently transferring the plant to Jeanes-
ville. He was formerly interested in a similar enter-
prise at Hauto.

Mr. Derrick was married in 1869 to Hannah J. Mil-
ler, daughter of Eli T. Miller, of Schuylkill county.
Their married life has been a happy one.

Dreisbach, J. M., a foremost representative of the
financial interests of Mauch Chunk, and for years
prominently identified with the political affairs of the
county, was born at Lockport, Northampton county,
on January 4, 1847, the son of Solomon and Mary
(Mummey) Dreisbach.

The pioneer of his family in America was John Jost
Dreisbach, who was born in Germany in the year 1721.
He sailed for this country from Cowes, England, Sep-
tember 20, 1743, on board the ship Lydia, of which
James Abercrombie, of Kotterdam, was master. His
death occurred on October 17, 1794.

The paternal grandfather, Michael Dreisbach, was
born April 1, 1779, and died October 15, 1868. By oc-
cupation he was a wheelright, and engaged in farming.
His wife bore the maiden name of Susanna Shaffer.

Solomon Dreisbach was a native of Lehigh township,
Northampton county, the year of his birth being 1822.
He departed this life Aug. 14, 1880. He was trained
for a mercantile career, but early in life became a boat-
builder, also conducting a boatman's stable and store.
Removing to East Mauch Chunk in 1850, he built the
Centre House, the first hotel in that town. His wife
was born near Berlinsville, Pa., November 9, 1828,
being a daughter of Jacob and Sarah (Master) Mum-
mey. Six children were born to them: James M.,
Joseph B., Franklin A., Ellen L, Mary H., the wife of
Rev. William C. Shaffer, and Emma J., who married
Harry Laurish.



432 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

James Monroe Dreisbach was but three years of age
when his parents removed to East Mauch Chunk. He
acquired his early training in the public schools of that
borough, later pursuing a business course at Philadel-
phia.

In 1863 he began life as a clerk in the service of the
Hazleton Coal Company at Penn Haven, which was
then an important coal-shipping point. Here he
formed an acquaintance with General William Lilly,
who was at that time in charge of the company's af-
fairs at Penn Haven, and a warm friendship sprang up
between the two which was only terminated by the
death of the elder in 1893.

In 1865 Mr. Driesbach became the shipper for
Sharpe, Weiss & Company, and for Coxe Brothers and
Company, miners and shippers of anthracite coal.
Shipments were made over the Lehigh Canal from
Mauch Chunk.

Entering the Second National Bank of Mauch Chunk
in the spring of 1867 as a bookkeeper, he was subse-
quently promoted to the position of teller. In 1880 he
was elected cashier of the bank, while from 1897 until
1901 he served as its vice-president. In the latter year
he became president of the institution, serving in that
capacity until December 31, 1902, when the charter of
the Second National Bank expired by limitation.

Mr. Dreisbach was an active participant in the or-
ganization of the Mauch Chunk Trust Company, which
began business on January 1, 1903, the only institution
of its kind in the county. He was chosen its president,
still occupying that position. The new institution was
to a certain degree an experiment, but under his guid-
ance it has steadily grown stronger and more prosper-
ous.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 433

Since his boyhood Mr. Dreisbach's life has been
characterized by sustained activity and usefulness. He
was the receiver appointed to take charge of the af-
fairs of the Miners' Bank of Lansford, which failed in
1883, and succeeded in paynig its creditors seventy-
five per cent, of the amount of their claims, notwith-
standing that it was at first thought there would be but
little left to divide among the depositors of the wrecked
institution.

Mr. Driesbach is a director of the East Broad Gap
Eailroad and Coal Company, of G. B. Markle & Co.,
and other corporations. He is the acting executor of
the estate of his former friend, General Lilly, the
wealthy coal operator, and was similarly connected
with a number of other estates.

He has been a close student of political and economic
problems, always manifesting a lively interest in pub-
lic affairs. Politics with him has been an avocation
rather than a vocation. He was, however, appointed
as the first postmaster of East Mauch Chunk, having
been largely instrumental in the establishment of that
postoffice in 1870. He early became identified with
the policies and principles of the Republican party, be-
coming one of its most influential leaders in the county.
Repeatedly serving as the chairman of the county com-
mittee, he was also frequently sent as a representative
to the state conventions of the party.

In 1896 he was a member of the National convention
which nominated McKinley for the Presidency at St.
Louis, while four years later he was again a delegate
to the convention which renominated him at Philadel-
phia.

He took an active part in securing the legislation
constituting Carbon county as a separate judicial dis-
trict, in 1901, at which time he also successfully advo-



434 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

cated the separate establishment of the offices of pro-
thonotary and clerk of courts, and of register of wills
and recorder of deeds.

Mr. Dreisbach is a past master of the Masonic lodge
of Mauch Chunk, while being a past grand of the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows of that town.

He was united in marriage to Emma Wertz, of
Cherryville, Northampton county, on November 11,
1869. Their only son, George Dreisbach, is secretary
and treasurer of the Mauch Chunk Trust Company.

Druckenmiller, Stanley F., a physician and surgeon,
of Lansford, is the son of Wilson K. and Mary (Grim)
Druckenmiller, of Weatherly. His father is a native of
New Tripoli, Lehigh county. Pa.

Stanley was born at Weatherly on September 12,
1884. He graduated from the high school of that place
with the class of 1901, after which he pursued a gen-
eral course at the Hazleton Business College. Going
to South Bethlehem, Pa., he did clerical work for the
Bethlehem Steel Company and the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road for four years.

In 1906 he entered the Medico-Chirurgical College
of Philadelphia, from which institution he was gradu-
ated in 1910. In August, 1911, after having served for
a year as interne at St. Luke's Hospital, South Beth-
lehem, he opened an office at Lansford, where he is
rapidly building up a good practise. He has already
established a reputation for skill and ability in his pro-
fession.

Drumheller, Wallace, a representative of the busi-
ness and industrial interests of Lansford, and a mem-
ber of the board of county commissioners, was born at
Summit Hill on April 1, 1860. He is the son of Nathan
and Elizabeth (Heister) Drumheller. His grandfather,
George Drumheller, was the first blacksmith employed




yLiUcc Du*<!^^-^^






.ox A-t^D



HISTOEY OF CAEBON COUNTY. 435

by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, while his
father was for years the master machinist of the same
corporation at Lansford.

Wallace Drumheller was educated in the common
schools and at the Bloomsburg State Normal School.
Learning the trade of a machinist under the direction
of his father, he later became the foreman of the shop
where he served his apprenticeship. In 1891, upon the
death of his father, he was appointed as superintend-
ent of the various shops of the Lehigh Coal and Navi-
gation Company, situated in Lansford. He continued
in this position until 1908.

In 1906, in association with Charles K. Walton, Mr.
Drumheller established the Lansford Shirt Factory,
which now employs about one hundred operatives.
Formerly he also conducted a large hardware, heating
and plumbing establishment, which, in 1909, he turned
over to his sons, Nathan and George.

He has been the manager of the Panther Valley Elec-
tric Light, Heat and Power Company since its incep-
tion, and is a director of the First National Bank of
Lansford. For about fifteen years he was a member
of the town council of Lansford, of which he was the
president.

As the candidate of the Republican party, Mr. Drum-
heller was elected to membership on the board of coun-
ty commissioners, in 1911. He was married in 1883 to
Johanna, daughter of John Griffiths, of Lansford.

Eadie, J. G., Weatherly's oldest merchant, and one
of the most prominent citizens of that borough, is a son
of Robert Eadie, who was born in Glasgow, Scotland,
in the year 1805. On the twenty-first of October of
that year. Admiral Lord Nelson, commanding the Eng-



Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 30 of 44)