Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 31 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 31 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


lish fleet of the Mediterranean, defeated the combined
fleets of France and Spain, off the coast of Cape Tra-



436 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

falgar, in one of the greatest sea fights of history, and
the grandfather of the subject of this sketch fought on
the victorious side in that engagement.

Eobert Eadie emigrated to America in 1828, and
settled in Schuylkill county, where he became a miner,
which occupation he had followed in his native coun-
try. He was married to Miss Margaret Hunter, of
Pottsville, in the year 1830. She was born in Paisley,
Scotland, in 1810, and was a first cousin of David Liv-
ingstone, the eminent African explorer.

Robert Eadie was killed in a mine accident at Nes-
quehoning, July 6, 1853.

J. G. Eadie was born December 26, 1835, at New Cas-
tle, Schuylkill county. Pa,, and in early life was a
school teacher. Later he worked about the mines for
several years, while in 1854 he secured a clerkship in
the store of Packer, Douglass & Company at Nesque-
honing. In 1857 he came to Weatherly, entering the
mercantile establishment of W. W. Blakslee in a cler-
ical capacity.

From 1866 to 1869 Mr. Eadie conducted a store at
Rockport, Lehigh township; returning to Weatherly
he opened a general store, and by good business prac-
tices and fair dealing soon achieved success. He was
elected chief burgess in the year 1872, still remembered
as the time when Weatherly, in common with many
other localities, was devastated by small-pox, requiring
courage and executive ability on the part of the author-
ities to cope with the scourge. Mr. Eadie has held va-
rious other offices of trust and responsibility, but of re-
cent years has devoted his time more exclusively to his
private affairs.

He was twice married, his first wife having been
Elizabeth Stetler, a daughter of Joseph Stetler, of
Rockport, whom he wedded on July 3, 1861. The sur-



THE NEW YORK
PUBLIC L!8RA«*f



i



%STOB, LEI^OX AND

'L.0>".r4 FOUNDATIONfS.




David Ebbert.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 437

viving children of this marriage are: Margaret L,
Andrew J., Janet, who is the wife of H. E. De Pue, of
Newark, N. J.; Robert, Bessie L., married to Daniel
Helker, of Weatherly ; Blanche, wife of Dr. Dreibelbis,
of Lehighton; Grace K., who is now Mrs. John Peifer;
Florence, and Harriet E., the wife of William James,
of Elizabeth, N. J.

Mrs. Eadie died in 1895, and in 1897 Mr. Eadie was
married to Mrs. Lydia McNeal, of Chilocothie, Ohio.
She died early in 1913.

Ebbert, David, who was a foremost citizen of Le-
highton, was born in Heidelberg township, Lehigh
county, on December 17, 1842. He was the son of Jacob
and Mary (Straub) Ebbert. Educated in the public
schools, he was early compelled to make his own way
in life.

During the spring of 1863 he came to Lehighton,
serving in the employ of Thomas Kemerer for several
months. At the expiration of this period he estab-
lished himself as a dealer in flour, grain and feed, later
also entering the livery business, which he successfully
carried on until his death.

In 1867 he was married to Hannah Hartz, a grand-
daughter of Colonel Jacob Hartz, one of Carbon coun-
ty's heroes in the war of the Revolution. Two daugh-
ters, Mary S. and Ellen J., were born to them. The
former become the wife of Edward H. Brannix, of
Philadelphia, while the latter married M. S. Jordan, of
Scranton, Pa., residing at Lehighton.

Mr. Ebbert was connected with various local indus-
tries and enterprises. For years he was director of the
First National Bank of Lehighton. His death occurred
on April 1, 1905.

Edwards, Philip, a veteran educator and miner, now
living at Beaver Meadow, was born in Cornwall, Eng-



438 HISTOEY OF CAEBON COUNTY.

land, July 19, 1839. At the age of nine, having spent
a few years in the Ludgvan parish school, he already
began to earn his own way as a worker about the tin
mines of his native country.

When twenty years of age, he emigrated to the
United States, locating in the Upper Peninsula of
Michigan, where he became a copper miner. Having
a thirst for knowledge, he saved enough from his
earnings to enable him to pursue a course at Union
Seminary, Ypsilanti, Mich.

Coming to Pennsylvania in 1866, he taught school
for thirteen years in Carbon and Luzerne counties.
For a time he was also employed in a clerical capacity
in the general offices of Coxe Brothers and Company,
at Drifton, Luzerne county. While so engaged, he did
a useful work in fitting many of the foremen and other
employes of this large concern to meet the educational
requirements prescribed by the more stringent mining
laws which had then been recently enacted. This was
accomplished through the agency of a night school
which he conducted.

Mr. Edwards has held various positions in connec-
tion with the mining industry since relinquishing his
work as an instructor, but he still takes a lively interest
in educational matters. He has held the offices of
school director and street commissioner in Beaver
Meadow, while he has been the tax collector of the
borough since 1906.

For more than fifty-six years he has been a member
of the Methodist Episcopal church, and has been a
prominent Sunday school worker. Fraternally he is
identified with the Masons and the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows.

In 1873 Mr. Edwards was united in marriage to S.
Ellen, daughter of Daniel McClain, of Beaver Meadow.
They are the parents of five surviving children.



THE fvEW YORv^
PUBLIC 1(8"



■^*TOR, LE».oX AND I



HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY, , 439

Enbody, Hon. Edwin R., who was one of Carbon
county's best known and most public spirited citizens,
was a descendant of Henry Enbody, his great-grand-
father, a native of France, who settled in the Mohawk
Valley about the middle of the eighteenth century.

His grandfather, David Enbody, who was a pioneer
resident of Mauch Chunk, first devoted himself to agri-
cultural pursuits near Berwick, on the Susquehanna.
He married Rebecca Turnbach, of Sugarloaf Valley,
Luzerne county. Their son, Josiah, the father of E.
R. Enbody, was born near Berwick, in 1818, being
quite young when his parents removed to Mauch
Chunk. On reaching man's estate, he became a boat
builder on the Lehigh Canal. He served for several
years as the chief burgess of Mauch Chunk.

His wife bore the maiden name of Tabitha Bayne,
being the daughter of John Bayne, an early settler of
Mauch Chunk, and an ark runner on the Lehigh.

E. R. Enbody was born at Mauch Chunk on October
11, 1844. After mastering the elementary branches of
English learning in the public schools, he pursued a
course of study at Dickinson Seminary, Williamsport,
Pa. At the age of seventeen he entered the employ of
the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company as a clerk,
continuing so for several years.

In 1868 he became the chief bookkeeper for W. T.
Carter and Company, miners and shippers of coal, at
Beaver Meadows. In association with John Martyn
and a number of New York capitalists, he had an in-
terest in the opening and development of the mines
now operated by Coxe Brothers and Company, near
Beaver Meadows.

For eleven years Mr. Enbody lived at Weatherly,
where he was in the service of the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road. Returning to Mauch Chunk in 1884, he assumed



440 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

the superintendency to the Mauch Chunk Water Com-
pany and the Mauch Chunk Gas Company, occupying
the former position the remainder of his life.

For years he was active as a labor leader, and asso-
ciated with such men as T. V. Powderly and Henry
George. During this phase of his career, he had a
hand in bringing about the adoption of the Australian
ballot system in Pennsylvania.

Mr. Enbody was elected to the office of associate
judge of Carbon county by the Democrats in 1899,
serving for the term of five years. In 1910 he was
chosen to membership in the state legislature.

Always interested in religious work, he was an elder
of the Presbyterian church of Mauch Chunk for more
than twenty years.

His marriage to Cornelia D. Brodhead, daughter of
the late Hon. A. G. Brodhead, a prominent official of
the Lehigh Valley Railroad at Mauch Chunk, was sol-
emnized in 1867. She died on September 15, 1903, leav-
ing three children : Albert B., Richard M. and Josiah
W. Enbody. The first named is road foreman of loco-
motives for the Central Railroad of New Jersey at
Mauch Chunk, while his brothers are located in New
York.

Edwin R. Enbody died suddenly at his home on May
21, 1912, having but a short time previously been re-
nominated without opposition for his seat in the legis-
lature.

Eshleman, Dr. Edwin F., a physician and surgeon
of Parryville, and treasurer of Carbon county, was
born at Seiberlingsville, Lehigh county, on July 30,
1865.

Jacob Eshleman, his father, a farmer and black-
smith, was a native of Bucks county, while his mother
before her marriage, was Sophia Werley.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 44I

Edwin was one of a family of six children and in
early life labored on his father's farm and at the
forge. Having prepared himself as a teacher at the
Kutztown State Normal School, he taught school for
six terms.

Entering Jefferson Medical College, he graduated
with the class of 1893. During the same year he lo-
cated at Parryville, where he has practised his pro-
fession since that time. He is the only physician in
the town, having also built up a large practice in the
surrounding country.

Doctor Eshleman has been a warm friend of educa-
tion, and his previous service as a teacher has well
fitted him for the discharge of the duties of a school
director, which position he has filled continuously al-
most since becoming a resident of Parryville. He has
also been the overseer of the poor in the borough for a
like period.

As the candidate of the Republican party, he was
elected to the office of county treasurer by a handsome
majority in 1911.

Fraternally he is allied to the Knights of Malta and
to the Fraternal Order of Eagles, while being a mem-
ber of the Lutheran church.

On October 31, 1891 he was married to Lizzie, daugh-
ter of Charles Scheirer, of Mickleys, Lehigh county.
Their two children are Gerald and Grace Eshleman.

Evans, Thomas E., postmaster of Audenried, is the
son of Owen R. and Margaret Rosser Evans, the form-
er a native of Wales, and the latter from Schuykill
county.

The father emigrated to America, unattended and
alone at the age of thirteen years. He first located at
Cumbola, Schuylkill county, later becoming a mine
foreman at New Philadelphia, in the same district.



442 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Coming to Tresckow, Carbon county, he held the posi-
tion of a mine foreman for the German-Pennsylvania
Coal Company for over twenty years. The closing
years of his life were spent at Nanticoke, Luzerne
county, where he died in 1890, aged 64 years.

Thomas Evans was born at Cumbola on March 27,
1864. Four years later his parents removed to Tresc-
kow, where he attended school. At the age of fifteen he
was given employment in the offices of the Lehigh and
Wilkes-Barre Coal Company. Subsequently he be-
came a stationary engineer, in which capacity he is still
employed by this company.

He had served both as an auditor and as tax col-
lector of Banks township. His appointment as post-
master of Audenried was made on March 30, 1899.

On June 10, 1884, he was married to Sarah, daughter
of Evan Cann and his wife Rebecca, of Yorktown.
Their children are Olive V., Harry, Roy, Lillian and
Gordon. Olive is a trained nurse, Harry a machinist,
and Roy a plumber. Lillian and Gordon remain at
home.

Farrar, John K., an Audenried physician and sur-
geon, was born at Montreal, Canada, on November 1,
1867. His father. Rev. John Farrar, a minister of the
Episcopal church, was a native of England, and grad-
uated at Oxford. He was married to Mary King, of
Sheffield, England, emigrating to Canada about 1860.
The father died in 1905 at the age of sixty-six years.

John King Farrar was educated at Geneva College
and at the University of Virginia. Entering Jefferson
Medical College, he was graduated from that institu-
tion in 1891.

In September of that year he located at Audenried,
becoming the assistant of Dr. W. R. Longshore, to
whose practise he succeeded. He is the local physician





-JL^cu <r, /<^U<_/j^



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 443

and surgeon of the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal
Company and of C. M. Dodson and Company, miners
and shippers of coal, and has a large practise.

Faust, Percy E., editor and owner of the Weatherly
Herald, the only newspaper published in the upper end
of Carbon county, was born on the old Faust home-
stead, now the property of John Bittner, in Packer
township, March 28, 1868.

His grandfather, John Faust, who came from
Schuylkill county in 1829, was one of the early settlers
of Packer township. He was born in 1797, and lived
to a ripe old age, being endearingly referred to for
many years as "Old Daddy" Faust.

His wife died in 1864, having borne him thirteen
children. One of his sons, Edward, who was born in
1839, was the father of the subject of this sketch. He
spent his boyhood in Quakake Valley, and on reach-
ing man's estate, was married to Elizabeth, daughter
of Ephraim Balliet, of Packer township. The family
made their home in Weatherly, where Mr. Faust was
for twenty-five years employed as a blacksmith by the
Lehigh Valley Railroad Company. He died in 1897.

The future owner of the Herald attended the public
schools until his fifteenth year, when the desire to do
something practical seized him. Accordingly, he for-
sook the founts of learning and worked as a laborer
for two years. He then entered the ofiice of the Herald
as an apprentice, learning to set type. One year later,
being then scarcely eighteen years of age, he attained,
through purchase, the ownership of the paper and the
job printing business that went with it, beginning his
career as a full-fledged newspaper man at an age when
most boys are still attending the public schools.

The Herald was started in 1880, by H. V. Morthimer,
and its early career was one of many changes and



444 I HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

vicissitudes. Mr. Faust became its owner in 1886,
succeeding Harvey B. Smith, now a Philadelphia news-
paper man. Under his direction the Herald has pros-
pered and has grown in circulation and in influence
from year to year.

It is now issued every Friday, and is always a wel-
come visitor in the many homes that it reaches. Clean,
newsy and reliable, it always reflects a spirit of op-
timism and good cheer. It has never invaded the pri-
vacy of the home, while filth and scandal are carefully
excluded from its columns.

In 1890 Mr. Faust was married to Eva, daughter of
John and Abigail Hoover, of Weatherly. Their do-
mestic life has been ideal and happy. Their children
are : Robert, Ruth, Ray, Edward, Grace, Burdell, Eliza-
beth and Theodore. Two others died in infancy.

Mr. Faust has filled various offices of trust in the
borough, among the number those of councilman and
of school director. For fifteen years he served as bor-
ough treasurer, while he has also been secretary of the
board of trade since its organization in 1898, and he
is the treasurer of the Anthracite Building and Loan
Association.

He is active in the councils of the Democratic party
in the county, while he and his family are members of
the Methodist church.

Fenner, Joseph A., postmaster of Weissport, was
born at Fennersville, now called Sciota, Monroe coun-
ty. Pa., May 4, 1856. His grandfather was Hon. Henry
Fenner, who represented the legislative district to
which Monroe county then belonged in the general as-
sembly of Pennsylvania. He also held various other
offices of public trust and was one of Monroe county's
most prominent men.



HISTORY OF CAKBON COUNTY. 445

Joseph Fenner, the father of the subject of this
sketch, was born in Monroe county and built and oper-
ated a large tannery at Fennersville. He was post-
master of his native town for more than fifty years,
while he also enjoyed the distinction of being elected
to the office of county treasurer on the Republican tick-
et, notwithstanding that Monroe, then as now, was
strongly Democratic.

In early life he was married to Susan Marsh, daugh-
ter of Amos Marsh, a native of Monroe county. Their
children were: Josiah, William, Calvin, Theodore,
Jerome, Milton, Erwin, Frank E., Joseph A. and Effie
J., who is the wife of Joseph Strohl, of Cementon, Pa.
Four others died in infancy.

The family removed to Weissport, Carbon county,
in 1871, where the father conducted the Weissport
House until his death, which occurred September 1,
1875. His widow died in 1907, being aged nearly nine-
ty years.

Joseph A. Fenner received a public school education
and at the age of seventeen began life as a clerk in the
general store of Lewis Weiss, at Weissport.

Later he entered the forwarding office of the Lehigh
Valley Railroad at Packerton, where he remained for
thirteen years. For three years he had charge of a
section of the auditing department in the company's
offices at Mauch Chunk.

In 1890 Mr. Fenner relinquished his position with
the railroad company to open a general store at Weiss-
port, which he conducted until 1906, when he disposed
of the business to George B. Begel.

Mr. Fenner was appointed postmaster of Weissport
by President McKinley in 1897, having held the office
continuously since that time. He has served as a
member of Weissport 's town council a number of



446 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

terms and has several times been elected to the office
of chief burgess. For years he was a prominent figure
at Republican county conventions, while he has repre-
sented his party at district and state gatherings on
various occasions. He is unmarried.

Freyman, Ira E., a Weatherly physician, was born
at Tannersville, Monroe county, Pa., February 17,
1880. His grandfather, Edward Freyman, whose birth
occurred in 1828, is a native of East Penn township.
Carbon county, where, for many years, he conducted a
farm. He was married to Rebecca Ruch, and their
only child was Lafayette Freyman, who was born De-
cember 26, 1851.

Lafayette Freyman was united in marriage to Miss
Rebecca Steigerwalt, of West Penn township, Schuyl-
kill county. He was a carpenter, and at the age of
eighteen entered the employ of the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road Company at Packerton. Subsequently he re-
moved to Tannersville, where he found employment at
his trade. In 1882 the family came to Weatherly, and
Mr. Freyman spent all but a few of his remaining
years in the service of the Lehigh Valley company.
For a short period he had charge of his father's farm
in East Penn township. He died on October 26, 1908.

The children of Lafayette Freyman and his wife
were Harvey, Lillian, Ira and Calvin. The two first-
named died on the same day of diphtheria ; Calvin was
for some years a machinist at the Washington Navy
Yard, and is now a veterinary surgeon at Washington.

Ira Freyman received his early training in the
schools of Weatherly and Lehighton, graduating from
the high school of the last named place in 1896. In
1897 he completed the course of study offered by the
American Business College, of Allentown, after which
he taught school for a number of years. He was em-



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 447

ployed as a clerk by the Lehigh Valley Eailroad Com-
pany at South Bethlehem for a year, and then entered
the Medico-Chirurgical College at Philadelphia.
While there he was president of the athletic association
and of the Phi-Rho Sigma Fraternity. He graduated
with the class of 1907.

Doctor Freyman served for a year as the assistant
of Dr. R. Truckenmiller, of Freeland, after his gradua-
tion, and then opened an office in Weatherly. He has
disproved the old adage that a prophet has no honor
in his own country, because his already large practice
is steadily growing.

Mr. Freyman was married to Elva S. Hunter, a
daughter of the late J. W. Hunter, of Weatherly, on
November 24, 1905. Their only child, Gordon C, was
born March 10, 1907.

Mr. Freyman is a member of the Reformed church,
and belongs to the Knights of Malta and to the Pa-
triotic Order Sons of America.

Freyman, William G., senior member of the law firm
of Freyman, Thomas and Branch, of Mauch Chunk, is
frequently referred to as the Nestor of the Carbon
county bar. He is the son of George and Catherine
(Kistler) Freyman, both natives of Pennsylvania. His
father was a farmer and carpenter, also conducting a
general store. He spent his declining years in Mahon-
ing township where he died in 1849.

Both Jacob Freyman and John Kistler, the grand-
parents of W. G. Freyman, were natives of Northamp-
ton county, being descended from German immigrants
who came to Pennsylvania at a very early day.

W. G. Freyman was born in Mahoning township on
July 4, 1838. ■ He received a high school education, and
taught school for five terms. During the war of the
Rebellion he served as orderly sergeant of Company



448 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

G, One Hundred and Seventy-sixth Eegiment, Penn-
sylvania Volunteer Infantry. At the expiration of his
term of service he recruited a company of which he was
commissioned lieutenant; but before it was mustered
into service, the war closed, and he returned home.

Becoming a civil engineer, Mr. Freyman followed
that calling for a dozen years, also engaging in mer-
chandising.

Entering the office of General Charles Albright at
Mauch Chunk, in 1871, he began the study of law, being
admitted to the bar in 1873. Under the firm name of
Albright and Freyman, he became the partner of his
former preceptor, which relation was severed by the
death of the General, in 1880. This firm participated
in the celebrated Mollie Maguire trials.

After practising alone for several years, Mr. Frey-
man formed a partnership with James Kiefer, now a
prominent attorney of Seattle, who had been a student
in his office. Upon the retirement of Mr. Kiefer from
the firm, at the expiration of five years, Mr. Freyman
became associated with Horace Heydt, also a former
student of his, under the name of Freyman and Heydt.
Later, Eugene 0. Nothstein, a nephew of the senior
member of the firm was taken into partnership, alter-
ing the title to Freyman, Heydt and Nothstein. Mr.
Freyman had also been his preceptor.

In September, 1901, Mr. Heydt was elevated to the
bench of Carbon county. From this time forth until
the spring of 1912, when Mr. Nothstein died, the prac-
tise of the firm was conducted under the name of Frey-
man and Nothstein. Since then, Mr. Freyman has
taken William G. Thomas and Benjamin Branch into
partnership with himself. The practise of the firm,
general in character, has embraced a wide range of
important cases, and has been more extensive, perhaps,



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 449

than that of any other in the county. Special attention
has been given to questions involving original land
titles both in Carbon and adjoining counties.

Speaking of Mr. Freyman individually, he has es-
tablished a well deserved reputation as a safe and sa-
gacious counsellor, and his long experience has made
him one of the most reliable lawyers of the Lehigh
Valley.

In addition to his legal business, he is interested in a
number of industrial and other enterprises. He is the
vice-president of the Mauch Chunk Trust Company,
while being a director of the Prince Manufacturing
Company and president of the Carbon Metallic Paint
Company. A supporter of the principles advocated by
the Republican party, he has never sought nor held a
political office.

In 1865 he was married to Matilda, daughter of
George Gilbert, of Mahoning township. They have no
surviving children.

Gangwer, Harry L., proprietor of the Verzi House
at Weatherly, was born in that town on May 18, 1868.
He is the son of Samuel Gangwer, Sr., one of the oldest
residents of Weatherly, and the family of which he is
a representative has been established in Pennnsylvania
for many generations.

After leaving school Mr. Gangwer learned the trade
of a moulder, which he followed for about nine years
in the shops of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company
at Weatherly. Later he pursued his calling at Plain-
field and at High Bridge, N. J., and at Lewistown and
South Bethlehem, Pa. In 1904 he returned to Weath-
erly to take charge of the Verzi House, becoming the
owner of the property through purchase in 1910.

Mr. Gangwer was united in marriage to Gertrude, a
daughter of William Buck, of Weatherly, on February



Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 31 of 44)