Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 34 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 34 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


John and Theresa (Kolinek) Kasparek, was born in
Moravia, Austria, on March 21, 1871. At the age of
twelve he enrolled in a preparatory school of his na-
tive country, where he was a student for eight years.
He then matriculated at the American College, Lou-
vain, Belgium, where he studied theology, and was
ordained to the priesthood on June 29, 1894.

Almost immediately thereafter he sailed for Amer-
ica, being appointed as the assistant of Rev. William
Heinan, the famous pastor of St. Joseph's church, of
East Mauch Chunk. The day following his arrival, he



478 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

already took the necessary legal steps toward becora-
ing naturalized, and five years later became a citizen
of the United States.

Kemaining in East Mauch Chunk but a short time,
Father Kasparek became the first resident pastor of
the congregation which he is now serving. After nine
months he assumed charge of a church at McAdoo,
Schuylkill county, and built another at Sheppton, in
the same county. At the end of a year he went to
Beading, Pa., from which place he was transferred to
Mahanoy City, where he remained for seven years.
During his residence there, he built a church at Shen-
andoah.

In 1905 Rev. Kasparek was again stationed at Lans-
f ord, where he has since remained. Under his leader-
ship St. Michael's parochial school, costing thirty
thousand dollars, and opened in 1907, was built. Early
during the following year the church edifice of the con-
gregation was destroyed by fire. Preparations were at
once begun to replace the building, and on Thanksgiv-
ing Day, 1911, the present home of the congregation
on East Abbot street, was dedicated with imposing
ceremonies.

This is one of the most magnificent churches in Penn-
sylvania, costing one hundred and fifty thousand dol-
lars. It will long stand as a monument to Father Kas-
parek and his people.

Kemmerer, Mahlon S., a prominent coal operator
and man of affairs, residing at Mauch Chunk, was born
at Cherry Valley, Monroe county, Pa., on August 27,
1843. His father, Charles Kemmerer, who was a mill-
wright by trade, was also a native of Cherry Valley,
while his mother bore the maiden name of Mary Ann
Price, being the daughter of John J. Price, an early
lumberman of that section.




^^^{^^^y/tCU't^uAKy^ch^









, ,.ox ^^°



^8TC^^^-^^o^^>°^»:



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. , 479

M. S. Kemmerer became a resident of Carbon county
in his early youth. He was educated in the common
schools and at Dickinson Seminary, Williamsport, Pa.
At the age of fourteen he began life as a clerk in a
colliery store at Summit Hill, continuing in that ca-
pacity until 1862. The memorable freshet of that year,
paralyzing the transportation facilities of the Lehigh
Valley, suspended operations in the coal regions. He
then joined an engineering corps engaged in the work
of rebuilding the Lehigh Canal.

A direct result of the freshet was the building of the
Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad, the legislature pro-
hibiting the rebuilding of the canal between Mauch
Chunk and White Haven.

The engineering corps to which Mr. Kemmerer be-
longed undertook the survey of this road, and he re-
mained with them for several years in the capacity of
an assistant engineer. At the expiration of this period
he accepted a position as mining engineer and assistant
superintendent of the Upper Lehigh Coal Company, of
Luzerne county. After four years of service in the
employ of this company he began his active business
career as a member of the firm of Whitney, McCreary
& Kemmerer, dealers in coal, the firm subsequently
becoming Whitney & Kemmerer.

In 1876 he engaged in the mining of coal at Harleigh,
Pond Creek and other collieries, achieving honorable
success from the start. He became financially inter-
ested in the Connellsville Coke and Iron Company, the
Carbon Iron and Pipe Company and the Carbon Roll-
ing Mill Company, in all of which enterprises he served
as a director. He also served as secretary and treas-
urer of the Virginia Coal and Iron Company, and as
a director of the Alden Coal Company, of Wilkes-
Barre.



480 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Mr. Kemmerer is largely interested in mining prop-
erties in the West, and the town of Kemmerer, Wy-
oming, is named in his honor. For years he has held
the controlling interest in the iron works at Parry-
ville. He is also the president of the Mauch Chunk
National Bank.

Governor Pattison appointed Mr. Kemmerer as one
of the commissioners in the matter of revising the
mining laws of the state. He has always upheld the
principles advocated by the Eepublican party, and is
a communicant of the Presbyterian church.

On December 1, 1868, Mr. Kemmerer was married
to Annie L., daughter of Hon. John Leisenring, who
was one of Mauch Chunk's foremost citizens. John L.,
Mahlon L., and Gertrude L. are their three children.

Kennedy, Thomas, president of the Seventh District,
United Mine Workers of America, comprising Carbon
county and portions of Luzerne and Schuylkill, is a son
of Peter Kennedy, who emigrated to this country from
Ireland in 1878, and located at Coal Dale, Schuylkill
county. He was married to Mary, a daughter of
James Boyle, of Lansford, in 1885. They had eight
children, all of whom are yet living.

The father was killed by a fall of coal in one of the
mines of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company in
the year 1902.

Thomas Kennedy was born at Lansford, November
2, 1887. At the age of eleven he left school and began
his life as a worker by picking slate in the breaker.
He filled various positions in and about the mines,
finally becoming a full-fledged miner. He early mani-
fested an interest in economic problems, and at the
age of sixteen began to show an understanding of the
questions affecting capital and labor.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 481

He has attended every national convention of the
United Mine Workers as a delegate since he became
seventeen years of age.

In 1908 Mr. Kennedy received a large vote for the
office of secretary of his district, but failed of election.
Two years later he was elected to the presidency of
District No. 7, and is now the youngest district presi-
dent of his union in the United States.

In this honorable position he is working intelligently
for the amelioration and betterment of the condition
of the men whose interests he represents. He took a
leading part in the conferences between the representa-
tives of the miners and the operators, resulting in the
peaceful settlement of the differences between capital
and labor in the coal region in 1912.

By virtue of the position he holds, Mr. Kennedy is
a member of the Anthracite Conciliation Board, which
came into being under the awar^ of the Anthracite
Strike Commission of 1902. He was married in 1912
to Miss Helen Melley, of Philadelphia.

Kistler, D. Amandus, conducting a grist mill in Ma-
honing township, on the site of the mill built by Benja-
min Gilbert in 1775, and destroyed by the Indians
some years later, is the son of David D. and Mary A.
(Mantz) Kistler, both natives of West Perm, Schuyl-
kill county.

D. Amandus Kistler was born in Mahoning town-
ship on April 4, 1858. The place of his nativity was
the farm which was originally settled by Samuel Dod-
son, whose daughter, Abigail, was taken captive by
the Indians, together with Benjamin Gilbert and his
family. At the age of twenty-two Mr. Kistler pur-
chased this farm from his father, occupying and tilling
the same until 1911, when he disposed of it to the
present occupant, Ira Troxel.



482 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Mr. Kistler purchased his present home, together
with the mill which he operates, in the autumn of 1908.
He was married on December 14, 1887, to Alvena, the
daughter of Joseph Zimmerman, of West Penn town-
ship. Their children are: Oscar, Ada, Mabel, Clif-
ford and Warren.

Mr. Kistler has for years been a member of the Ee-
publican executive committee of Carbon county.

Kline, C. Fred, cashier of the First National Bank
of Lansford, is the son of Charles F. and Hannah
(Hart) Kline. His father is a native of Summit Hill,
and is now a general merchant at Lansford, while his
mother came from New Jersey.

C. Fred Kline was born at Summit Hill on December
4, 1869. He attended the public schools until his four-
teenth year, when he began life as a clerk in his fa-
ther 's store. During the spring of 1888 he entered the
service of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company,
becoming the chief clerk of the company. For about
ten years he also held the position of cashier of that
corporation. His duties brought him into intimate
contact with the workmen of the company, and for a
period of fifteen years he assisted in the pleasant duty
of paying them their wages.

Early in 1911 he resigned to accept the cashiership
of the First National Bank, of which he was one of
the organizers. He has been a member of the board of
directors of this institution since its inception.

Mr. Kline served as secretary to the directorate of
the Middle Coal Field Poor District for about six
years. In the autumn of 1892 he was married to Ella
C, daughter of J. B. Rickert, the veterinary surgeon
of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company at Lans-
ford. He is a member of various Masonic bodies, and
is a communicant of the Methodist Episcopal church.



HISTORY OF CAEBON COUNTY. 483

Kresge, George D., a representative business man
of Lehighton, was born at Stemlersville, Carbon coun-
ty, Pa., on October 17, 1867. His father, Paul Kresge,
was a native of Gilberts, Monroe county, the year of
his birth being 1840.

On November 3, 1862, he enlisted in Company F,
One Hundred Seventy-Sixth Regiment, Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, and was honorably discharged as
a corporal on August 17, 1863. Re-enlisting on March
7, 1865, he became a member of the Second Regiment,
Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, and was finally dis-
charged on July 6th of the same year.

Soon after the close of the Civil War, Mr. Kresge
took up his residence at Stemlersville, Carbon county,
where he conducted a general store and engaged in
farming pursuits. He was also postmaster at Stem-
lersville and was a justice of the peace for many years.

In 1879 he was the nominee of the Democratic party
for the office of sheriff of Carbon county, but was de-
feated by the narrow margin of fourteen votes.

Mr. Kresge was also one of the organizers of the
Citizens' National Bank, of Lehighton, and was one of
the first directors of that institution. He was married
to Mary, a daughter of Daniel Stemler, and they be-
came the parents of nine children. Mr. Kresge died
September 2, 1908, leaving behind him the record of a
life of usefulness and honorable conduct.

George D. Kresge, after leaving the public schools,
attended Broadheadsville Academy and the Polytech-
nic Institute, both Monroe county institutions. He
taught school for two years, and, in 1885, located at
Lehighton, opening a general store, which he has con-
ducted with growing success to the present time.

Mr. Kresge has been a member of the school board
of Lehighton for a dozen years, in which capacity he



484 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

has taken an active and intelligent interest in educa-
tional work. He is also a director in the Lehigh Valley
Building and Loan Association. He is a member of
the Masonic fraternity, of the Independent Americans,
and of the Knights of Malta, while being an adherent
of the Eeformed church.

On November 30, 1889, George D. Kresge was united
in marriage to Glendora, a daughter of David Beltz,
of Franklin township. Their children are : Mary, Eva,
Myrtle, and Eussell Kresge.

Kressley, Daniel, a veteran of the Civil War, and a
farmer of Mahoning township, was born at Ljmnport,
Lehigh county. Pa., on January 18, 1844. His parents
were Jonathan and Elizabeth (Brobst) Kressley, both
natives of Pennsylvania.

When Daniel was six years of age, the family re-
moved to Mahoning township, Carbon county, where he
grew to manhood. He was one among thirty-seven, in
one manner or another connected with the public
school at New Mahoning, who volunteered in the war
for the preservation of the Union.

First enlisting as a private in Company F, One Hun-
dred Thirty-Second Regiment, P. V. L, on August 9,
1862, he was discharged on account of disability on
January 17, 1863, having been sick with typhoid fever
in a Washington hospital for nine weeks.

Re-enlisting as a corporal in the Two Hundred and
Second Pennsylvania Regiment he served until honor-
ably discharged, August 3, 1865.

Among the wartime memories which stand forth
prominently in his mind are the battle of South Moun-
tain, where he participated in a parting volley which
wrought havoc in the ranks of the enemy, and the
Bloody Lane of Antietam, where he was wounded. He
also recalls with vividness an encounter between his



jfUBLlC LiBft^RV;



.TOa, Lf*©/ AND
, ,^OEN FOUNDATION!..,





^lU




HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 435

regiment and the command of the celebrated Mosby,
at Salem Heights, Va., in which the Confederates were
worsted.

After the war Mr. Kressley returned to Mahoning
township, where, during the winter months he taught
school for thirteen years. Between terms he was em-
ployed as a car builder by the Lehigh Coal and Navi-
gation Company and the Lehigh Valley Railroad Com-
pany.

Since 1884 he has devoted his energies to agricul-
tural pursuits on a farm which he had previously pur-
chased.

On April 21, 1867, he was married to Mary A.,
daughter of Gabriel Dilcher. They have eight surviv-
ing children, two sons and six daughters. Both sons
are preachers of the Reformed church. Clement Dan-
iel, the eldest, is located at Higens, Schuylkill county,
Pa., while Thomas M. is stationed at Pine Grove, in the
same county.

Mr. Kressley is connected with the Lutheran church.
He is a charter member of John D. Bertollette Post,
No. 484, G. A. R., of Lehighton, Pa.

Kressley, James Franklin, one of Weatherly's fore-
most citizens and a prominent member of the Grand
Army of the Republic, was born at Lynnport, Lehigh
county, on November 29, 1846. His father, Jonathan
Kressley, who was a carpet and linen weaver, was also
a native of Lehigh county. He chose as his life com-
panion Elizabeth Brobst, who came from a family well
known in that section of the state. They became the
parents of two sons and three daughters.

When James was still a child the family removed to
New Mahoning, Carbon county, and at the age of nine
he began to earn his own way by working for a farmer.
In June, 1863, when the call was issued for volunteers



486 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

to repel Lee's invasion of Pennsylvania, Mr. Kressley,
though but little past sixteen years of age, enlisted for
the required period of three months. Later he re-
enlisted for three years, or during the continuance of
the conflict, becoming a member of the One Hundred
and Sixteenth Eegiment Pennsylvania Volunteer In-
fantry, and serving until the close of the war. He was
honorably discharged as a sergeant in June, 1865.

Returning to civil life, he fitted himself as a teacher
by attending the Carbon Academy at Lehighton for
five months. He taught school for two years, after
which he came to Weatherly, where he served in the
general store of W. W. Blakslee in various capacities
for sixteen years.

In 1885 Mr. Kressley established himself as a dealer
in hardware and lumber at Weatherly, selling out the
business two years later to J. C. Sendel, and removing
with his family to Birmingham, Alabama, for the ben-
efit of his wife's health. After a sojourn of a year in
the South he returned to Weatherly, and soon there-
after purchased the general store of J. G. Eadie, con-
ducting the business for six years.

He spent a year in aiding to organize the Weatherly
Foundry and Machine Company, acting as the secre-
tary of the company, and becoming a member of its
board of directors. He was then chosen as the presi-
dent of the Allen Candy Manufacturing Company, in
which capacity he is still serving. He has given his
best efforts to the building up of the business of this
company, the affairs of which are in a prosperous con-
dition.

Mr. Kressley has been an independent in politics and
has been a leader in the movement for the abolition of
the liquor traffic. Some years ago he was elected to
the office of chief burgess of Weatherly, which he filled



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 4g7

for a single term. For many years he has been the su-
perintendent of the primary department of the Sun-
day school of the Centenary Methodist Episcopal
church. He was a prime mover in the erection of the
Soldiers' Monument, dedicated at Weatherly in 1906.

Mr. Kressley was united in marriage to Sallie, a
daughter of John Derr, of Weatherly, in 1870. They
are the parents of two sons, Walter and Robert Kress-
ley.

Kuehner, Eugene V., deputy clerk of courts for Car-
bon county, and for thirteen years a teacher in the
public schools, is one of the nine children of Augustus
and Christiana (Eckhart) Kuehner, of Towamensing
township. His father followed the vocation of a farm-
er, having been married in 1859.

Eugene V. Kuehner was born on March 6, 1870, in
Towamensing township; he attended the district
schools until his seventeenth year, and later attended
Muhlenberg College at Allentown, being also a gradu-
ate of Palm's Business College, of Philadelphia. In
addition to this he attended a number of select and
summer schools.

Mr. Kuehner served as a justice of the peace in
Towamensing township for a number of years, later
becoming deputy prothonotary and clerk of courts
under W. J. Zerbey in 1901. This office was di-
vided by act of the legislature during the incumbency
of Mr. Zerbey, who served three terms as clerk of
courts, but Mr. Kuehner held both deputyships until
November 6, 1909, when he relinquished his duties in
the office held by Mr. Zerbey, but continued in the of-
fice of the prothonotary until January, 1910.

He was himself a candidate for the Republican nom-
ination for clerk of courts in 1909, being defeated by
a narrow margin at the primaries, but was appointed
as the deputy of that officer in January, 1910.



488 I HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Mr. Kuehner was wedded to Sabina A. Anthony, of
Little Gap, Carbon county, on October 23, 1893. Elsie
Kuehner is their only child.

Mr. Kuehner is a member of the Patriotic Order of
Sons of America and of the Independent Order of For-
esters.

During the presidential campaign of 1912 he sup-
ported the candidacy of Theodore Eoosevelt. He as-
sisted in organizing the Washington party in Carbon
county, and was chosen as the first secretary of that
party in the county. Mr. Kuehner is the Mauch Chunk
correspondent for a number of daily metropolitan
journals.

Kunkle, Harry F., conducting a general store at
Trochsville, is the son of Harrison and Amanda
(Dory) Kunkle, the former a native of Monroe county,
and the latter of Northampton. The father was born
in 1839, and when a young man engaged in the lumber
business. Later he came to Trochsville, Carbon coun-
ty, establishing himself in the mercantile business. He
served as the tax collector of Towamensing township
and as a member of the school board, besides holding
a number of other offices.

Harry F. Kunkle was born at Trochsville on May 31,
1882. He was educated in the common schools, at the
Polytechnic Institute, Gilberts, Monroe county, and at
Schissler's Business College, Norristown, Pa. After
leaving school he took a half interest in the business of
his father, acquiring full control of the same through
purchase in 1909. He was the postmaster of Carbon
until the elimination of the office in 1911.

Mr. Kunkle was married on March 13, 1903, to
Tillula, the daughter of Dennis Moyer and his wife
Amanda, of Trochsville. Stanley, their only son, was
born in June, 1904.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 4g9

Mr. Kiinkle is a member of the Reformed church,
and has been the superintendent of the Sunday school
of that denomination at Trochsville for several years.
He is identified with the Patriotic Order of Sons of
America, and is a believer in the principles advocated
by the Republican party.

Kutz, Wilson L., a physician and surgeon, of Weiss-
port, was born in Berks county, Pa., May 9, 1854, the
fourth son of Samuel D. and Caroline (Dry) Kutz.
He grew to maturity on his father's farm, receiving
his preliminary education in the district schools and
at Kutztown State Normal School, where he graduated
in 1870.

Enrolling as a student at the Philadelphia College
of Pharmacy, he completed his course in 1874. Choos-
ing the profession of medicine, he entered Jefferson
Medical College, from which he was graduated with the
class of 1878. After practising in Philadelphia for two
years he located at Parryville, Carbon county, where
he remained for six years.

In 1887 he came to Weissport, forming a partnership
with Dr. J. G. Zern, under the firm name of Zern and
Kutz. This partnership was dissolved after about fif-
teen years, since which time Doctor Kutz has practised
quite successfully on his own account.

In 1891 he was elected as coroner of Carbon county,
and he has held most of the offices in the gift of the
people of Weissport. He is a member of the Carbon
County Medical Society, having served as president of
that body, being also identified with the Lehigh Valley
Medical Association and the American Medical So-
ciety. For some time past he has been a surgeon for
the Lehigh Valley Railroad.

He is a member and past officer of the Masonic fra-
ternity at Lehighton, Lilly Chapter and Packer Com-



490 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

mandery, at Mauch Chunk, and is connected with Irem
Temple, Order of the Mystic Shrine, of Wilkes-Barre,
while belonging to a number of other organizations.

In 1872 Doctor Kutz was married to Victoria Diehl.
They have two sons, Leroy and Harry Cooper Kutz.

Lauderburn, A. J., who was numbered among
Weatherly's most prominent and influential citizens,
was born at Youngstown, Westmoreland county. Pa.,
on November 5, 1823.

Frederick Lauderburn, his grandfather, was of
Swiss parentage, but his family had removed to Ger-
many, whence he emigrated to America during Colon-
ial times. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary War.

Christian, the eldest of the three children of Freder-
ick Lauderburn, and the father of the subject of this
memoir, was born in Philadelphia in 1770, and became
a prosperous iron master.

Alexander J. Lauderburn attended the public school
in the place of his birth until his twelfth year, when
his parents located at Orwigsburg, Schuylkill county,
Pa., where he finished his education. Having had some
military experience in his youth, he was, in 1851, com-
missioned as a lieutenant-colonel of the State Militia,
and served as an aid-de-camp on the staff of Governor
William F. Johnston.

He began life as a railroader, but soon abandoned
this for clerical work. After a residence of several
years at Tuscarora, Schuylkill county, he, in 1862, en-
tered the service of Samuel Hudson, at Beaver Mea-
dows. Subsequently he engaged in the mercantile busi-
ness for a time.

In 1867, Mr. Lauderburn removed to Hudsondale,
near Weatherly, where, in association with Sampson
Smith and Samuel Hudson, imder the firm name of
Lauderburn, Smith and Hudson, he built and equipped



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 491

a large flour and grist mill. At the expiration of three
years, the enterprise was abandoned as an unprofitable
one, while the property was rented. The mill is now
owned by the Hazleton Water Company.

In 1871 Mr. Lauderburn took up his residence in
Weatherly, where he spent the remainder of his life.
He was first connected with a store which was conduct-
ed on the co-operative plan. Later he opened a store
on his own account, taking his son, A. H. Lauderburn
into partnership with himself. This business was suc-
cessfully continued for thirty years, and as his finan-
cial resources increased, Mr. Lauderburn made ju-
dicious investments in real estate, becoming the owner
of considerable property in Weatherly and Hazleton.

Contributing in many ways to the welfare of the
town of his adoption, he was one of its most honored
and useful citizens. He was a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and was a loyal and devoted supporter of
the Methodist church. During his residence at Hud-
sondale he organized and conducted a Sunday school
which is still flourishing.

His companion in life bore the maiden name of
Margaret Duel, to whom he was married at Tamaqua,



Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 34 of 44)