Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 35 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 35 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Schuylkill county, in 1849, Of their seven children,
four survive: Albert H., Ella, wife of S. G. Eby;
Frederick and Edward.

The father passed away in December, 1^906, in his
eighty-fourth year, while Mrs. Lauderburn died on
April 7, 1910.

Lauer, John E., one of the best known residents of
Lansford, is descended from pioneer settlers of York
county, Pa. His ancestors emigrated thither from the
Palatinate, in Germany, about 1736. They were in-
fluential in the establishment of the Reformed church



492 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

in that section of Pennsylvania, and participated in the
struggle for American independence.

Reuben, the father of John E. Lauer, was a wealthy
and progressive farmer of York county. His wife bore
the maiden name of Caroline Spangler. Their family
consisted of four sons and four daughters.

The subject of this memoir was born in Dover town-
ship, York county, on February 11, 1850. He grew to
maturity on his father's farm, receiving his early
training in the schools of the neighborhood, which in
those days were kept in session but a few months of
the year.

Entering Millersville State Normal School, he was
graduated with the class of 1871. During his twenty-
second year he came to Summit Hill, Pa., to assume
the principalship of the schools of that place. At the
expiration of the term he forsook teaching to take a
clerical position with the Lehigh Coal and Navigation
Company at Nesquehoning. Later he was transferred
to the Lansf ord offices of the company, becoming, after
a time, the purchasing agent at that point, and continu-
ing in that capacity until January 1, 1909, when he
retired, having spent thirty-seven consecutive years in
the service of the company.

Mr. Lauer was among the first to recognize the possi-
bilities of growth which lay in Lansford, early invest-
ing in real estate which has since increased immensely
in value. For a time he was the secretary of the Fi-
delity Building and Loan Association, of Summit Hill,
the first institution of its kind in the Panther Creek
Valley, and he has been financially interested in the
four associations that have followed this in Lansford.
He was one of the organizers of the Panther Valley
Electric Light, Heat and Power Company, of which
he is still a stockholder, while being one of the found-



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 493

ers of the First National Bank of Lansford, of which
he is a director. For a time he was vice president of
the First National Bank of Tamaqua. He is now the
secretary and one of the owners of the Carbon Tele-
phone Company. Mr. Lauer has also for years con-
ducted a general insurance business.

For more than thirty years he has been a member of
the English Congregational church, of Lansford, hav-
ing actively participated in the erection of the first
building of that congregation. He served two terms
as a member of the school board of the borough, and
was twice an unsuccessful aspirant for the Democratic
nomination for Congress in his district.

In 1904 he was a delegate to the Democratic national
convention at St. Louis, which nominated Alton B.
Parker for the presidency.

Mr. Lauer was married on November 17, 1872, to
Henrietta G., daughter of Frank Zehner, of Summit
Hill, and a sister of the late William D. Zehner, who
was for thirty-six years the general superintendent
of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company.

Joseph F. Zehner, a well-known contractor, who was
cruelly murdered near Nesquehoning on September 7,
1911, was a brother of Mrs. Lauer.

The pair have three surviving children: Harry W.,
George N. and Mahlon H. Lauer.

Leibenguth, James H., cashier of the Citizens' Na-
tional Bank, of East Mauch Chunk, began life as a tele-
graph operator, in which capacity he served the Lehigh
Valley Railroad for years. His father was Joseph
Leibenguth, a native of Northampton county, while his
mother, before her marriage, bore the name of Eliza-
beth Smith.

Mr. Leibenguth was born at Cherryville, Northamp-
ton county, April 11, 1859, and was educated in the



494 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

public schools and at Weaversville Academy, North-
ampton county. Having served his apprenticeship as
a telegrapher, he was given a position as operator for
the Lehigh Valley at Laurys, near Allentown. Later
he held similar positions under the same corporation
at Mahanoy City and at Delano, where he was in the
office of division superintendent Blakslee. During the
eighties he was made freight agent for the company
at East Mauch Chunk, in which position he continued
until September, 1906, when he and others organized
the bank of which he has since been the cashier and a
member of the board of directors.

Mr. Leibenguth has been twice married. His first
wife was Julia B. Reeder, daughter of George Reeder,
of Easton. Two children were born of this union:
Nettie Elizabeth and Lola Leibenguth. Mrs. Leiben-
guth died in 1907, and two years later Mr. Leibenguth
was wedded to Mrs. Carrie Jeffries, of East Mauch
Chunk. He is a member of the Odd Fellows and at-
tends the Methodist church.

Lentz, Lafayette, one of Carbon county's grand old
men and a well-known coal operator, living at Mauch
Chunk, is one of the descendants of Conrad Lentz, who
settled in Lehigh county prior to the Revolution. This
pioneer was a school teacher, and he died in early life.
Among his children was Colonel John Lentz, the father
of the subject of this memoir, who was born in Lehigh
county in 1793. He began life as a shoemaker, but
later became a hotel k^eeper. He was also a successful
contractor, and was one of the builders of the Lehigh
Canal.

While still a young man, he removed to that portion
of Northampton county which was in 1843 set apart as
the county of Carbon. In the subdivision which was
then made he was a prime mover. Having previously



HISTORY OF CAEBON COUNTY. 495

served as a commissioner of Northampton county, he
was later elected to the offices of commissioner and of
sheriff in Carbon county.

Taking a keen interest in military affairs all his life,
he enlisted for service in the war of 1812, when but a
lad. Among the first to volunteer at the breaking out
of the Rebellion, he was rejected on account of his ad-
vanced age. His title as Colonel was obtained in the
State Militia. When Lee invaded Pennsylvania in
1863, he recruited a company of reserves at Lehighton,
and, as their captain, led them to Harrisburg in de-
fense of the country.

Colonel Lentz was thrice married. His first wife
was Mary Lacier, his second, Julia Winter Barnett,
widow of John Barnett, and the third Mrs. Elizabeth
Metzgar. His death occurred at Mauch Chunk in 1875
at the age of eighty-two years.

Lafayette Lentz was born of the first marriage, at
Lehigh Gap, Carbon county, in 1828. Beginning life
as a clerk in a store at Parryville, he subsequently en-
gaged in railroad construction work, being one of the
original contractors in the building of the Lehigh Val-
ley Railroad. He also built important stretches of
the North Pennsylvania, Easton and Amboy, and Mor-
ris and Essex railroads, and was the builder of the
Vosburg tunnel, in Wyoming county.

Mr. Lentz began his career as a coal operator near
Mahanoy City, about 1869. He is now the senior mem-
ber of the firm of Lentz and Company, operating a
large colliery at Park Place, Schuylkill county.

Cheerful, benevolent, and democratic, he has always
enjoyed great personal popularity. He has been a
great lover of the life out-of-doors, and has been an
enthusiastic hunter and fisherman, retaining his vigor



496 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

of mind and body to an unusual degree for one of his
advanced years.

His wife, whose maiden name was Mary Swartz,
was the daughter of John Swartz, a farmer and inn-
keeper of Northampton county. They became the par-
ents of five children: John, James, and Lafayette,
who died in infancy; William 0., the manager of his
father's coal interests, and Horace De Y. Lentz.

Horace De Y. Lentz, who is a member of the Carbon
county bar, was born at Mauch Chunk, where he still
resides, on February 24, 1867. He was educated in the
schools of his native town, the Preparatory School for
Lehigh University, Adams Academy, Quincey, Mass.,
and at Harvard University, graduating from the latter
institution with the degree of B.A. in 1891.

Choosing the law as his profession, he entered the
offices of Hon. L. H. Barber and Frederick Bertolette,
at Mauch Chunk, as a student in 1893, being admitted
to the bar in 1896.

As the first agent of the Palmer Land Company, Mr.
Lentz played an active part in the establishment of the
now thriving town of Palmerton. He is a believer in
the principles advocated by the Democratic party, but
has never sought office, save on one occasion, having
been a candidate for the nomination for Congress in
the Twenty-sixth District in 1912.

He has been a consistent friend of the Young Men's
Christian Association of Mauch Chunk, and was for a
time a vestryman of St. Mark 's Episcopal church. He
is a member of the University Club of Philadelphia,
and is one of the directors of the Mauch Chunk Trust
Company.

In 1893 he was married to Jennie McCreary Alsover,
a daughter of the late Jabez Alsover, prominent in
legal circles in Carbon and Luzerne counties.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 497

Leslie, Harry, one of Palmerton's enterprising
young business men, was born at Towanda, Bradford
county, Pa., on August 25, 1870. He is the son of
John and Sarah (Houser) Leslie. When Harry was
eight years of age, his father, who was a locomotive
engineer, was accidentally killed, and the family re-
moved to Summit Hill, where, two years later, he began
life as a slate picker on the breaker, subsequently en-
tering the mines.

Learning the trade of a tailor, he pursued his voca-
tion at Mauch Chunk and other places until 1906, when
he came to Palmerton and opened an establishment,
soon attracting a large patronage. Recently he moved
into larger and more handsome quarters, where he car-
ries a complete line of up-to-date furnishing goods for
men.

Mr. Leslie has displayed his public spirit in many
ways since locating in Palmerton. He was a charter
member and the first vice president of the Palmerton
Co-operative Society ; took an active part in the organ-
ization of the fire company of the town, did much to-
ward securing the erection of the handsome new high
school building of the place, and was the first president
of the Palmerton Athletic Association.

As one of the Roosevelt delegates to the Republican
state convention of 1912, he assisted in the overthrow
of the political dynasty of United States Senator Boies
Penrose. One of the cherished momentos that he re-
tains of that gathering is the leg of a chair, which was
used as a gavel by the chairman of the convention. He
is one of the leaders of the Progressive movement in
the county.

On June 14, 1904, he was married to Stella, daugh-
ter of Luther La Barre, of East Mauch Chunk. Anna
and John are their two children.



498 HISTORY OF CAEBON COUNTY.

Mr. Leslie is a member of the Patriotic Order of
Sons of America and of the Sons of Veterans.

Lewis, William, a member of the firm of Lewis &
Bray, operating the Old Millport Slate Quarry, near
Aquashicola, being the only slate quarry that is now
being worked north of the Blue mountains, was born
in Devonshire, England, September 16, 1862. He is the
son of Robert and Mary ( Chaff e) Lewis, and, at the
age of fifteen, left school to enter the slate quarries of
his native county.

Coming to America in 1882, he located at East Ban-
gor, Pa., following his trade as a slater.

In 1894 he accepted a position as superintendent for
the Brilliant Black Slate Company at Aquashicola,
serving in that capacity for two years. He then formed
a partnership with Walter M. Bray, leasing the quarry
over which he had been superintendent; this partner-
ship is still in force, the firm employing about twenty-
five men in its operations, and producing a good qual-
ity of slate.

Mr. Lewis is the father of a large and interesting
family, having been married at the age of twenty-
three to Laura C. Eyer, a daughter of Reuben Eyer
and his wife Ellen, of East Bangor. Their children
are: W. Robert, Lottie, Violet A., Clarence E., T. Wil-
mer, Arlington R., Paul L., and Alice C. Lewis. Rob-
ert is a graduate of Perkiomen Seminary; Lottie and
Violet are both teachers in the public schools, the form-
er being a graduate of the high school of East Mauch
Chunk, while the latter is a product of the high school
maintained at Palmerton by Lower Towamensing
township. Clarence is also a graduate of this institu-
tion.

Mr. Lewis has taken an active interest in the cause of
popular education, having been a member of the board



*TKE
PUBL;



TILDE N ff'-




Hon. William Lilly.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 499

of education of Lower Towamensing township. His
fraternal connections are with the Odd Fellows and the
Masonic order.

Lewis, Winfred D., a member of the Carbon county-
bar, living at Lansford, was born there on February
6, 1883. He is of Welsh descent, being the son of the
late 'Squire John L. and Ann (Davis) Lewis. In early-
life he worked about the mines of the Lehigh Coal and
Navigation Company. Graduating from the Lansford
high school with the class of 1899, he later attended
Perkiomen Seminary. For a year he taught Greek
and Latin there. Entering Princeton University, he
graduated from that institution in 1905, with the de-
gree of A.B.

After reading law in the office of a Mauch Chunk
attorney, he pursued a course of study at Dickinson
Law School, being admitted to the bar of Carbon
county in 1908. He maintains an office in the Navi-
gation Building at Mauch Chunk, in addition to his of-
fice at Lansford.

In 1910 Mr. Lewis was the Republican nominee for
state senator from his district, but was defeated by a
slight margin, the district being overwhelmingly
Democratic. Two years later he easily won the nom-
ination of his party for the office of assemblyman from
Carbon county, losing in the general election, owing to
the split in the Republican ranks.

He has been retained as the legal adviser of the bor-
ough of Summit Hill, and has built up a good general
practise.

Mr. Lewis is a member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity
and of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
He was a prominent athlete during his years at college.

Lilly, General William, who was one of Carbon
county's foremost public men, as well as a man of



500 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

large affairs in the industrial and financial world, was
born at Penn Yan, New York, June 3, 1821. He was
descended from Revolutionary stock, his forefathers
having participated in the struggle by which Amer-
ican independence was achieved. His father. Colonel
William Lilly, left New York in 1838 and, with his
family, settled in Mauch Chunk. General Lilly was
but seventeen years of age at this time, but he imme-
diately entered upon a life of industry and responsi-
bility, being entrusted with the duties of a conductor
on the Beaver Meadow Railroad. He also served as
the coal shipping agent of this company at Penn
Haven, which was then the head of the Lehigh Canal.
His life henceforth was one of active business enter-
prise. He soon entered into coal mining operations,
being associated with Ario Pardee, J. Gillingham Fell
and George B. Markle at Jeddo, and becoming a mem-
ber of the firms of Lentz, Lilly & Company, and of
L. A. Reilly & Company in the Schuylkill region. He
was a director in the East Broad Top Railroad Com-
pany, in the Highland Coal Company, in the Union
Improvement Company, and in the Andover Iron Com-
pany. General Lilly was also president of the Lehigh
Emery "Wheel Company and of the Carbon Metallic
Paint Company, besides holding a seat as a director
in the First and Second National Banks of Mauch
Chunk and of the First National Bank of Shenandoah.
He was also one of the board of commissioners to lo-
cate and build a state hospital for injured persons
in the anthracite region. This institution, called the
Miners' Hospital, is situated near Ashland, Schuyl-
kill county, and was opened in 1884. He was one of the
original trustees of this hospital and later became pres-
ident of the board.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. , 501

While General Lilly thus bore a prominent part in
industrial and commercial affairs, he was more widely
known for his services in public life. He first came
into prominence in connection with the military estab-
lishment of the state. At the age of twenty-one he
enlisted in the ranks of the militia, and through suc-
cessive promotions, arrived at the rank of colonel,
and was finally appointed a brigadier general.

General Lilly early affiliated with the Democratic
party, and was elected to the state legislature of
1850 and 1851, bearing such a conspicuous part in the
work of the first session that at the beginning of the
next, he became a prominent candidate for Speaker of
the House, but was defeated by a few votes. Urgent
business demands compelled him to decline a re-elec-
tion to that body.

It is related that while on a visit to Washington in
1862, General Lilly met some of the leading Democrats
of the country and became very much dissatisfied with
their views on the war. Visiting the house of repre-
sentatives, he found fifty-five Democratic congressmen
voting against a war measure of vital importance to
the cause of the Union. It was at this point that the
General parted company with his party, going over to
the fold of the Republican party, to which he gave his
loyal allegiance during the remainder of his life. He
served as a delegate at every important Republican
convention held in the state and was also a delegate
or alternate to every national Republican convention
for twenty-five years.

In 1868 General Lilly was a candidate for the guber-
natorial nomination, receiving next to the highest vote
on the last ballot. It was partly through his instru-
mentality that the Pennsylvania state constitutional
convention of 1872-73 was called, to which he was elect-



502 HISTOEY OF CAEBON COUNTY.

ed as a delegate at large. At this convention which
was composed of many of the most eminent men of the
state, he bore a part equal to that of any of the mem-
bers of that famous assemblage.

General Lilly was elected as one of the congressmen
at large for Pennsylvania for the Fifty-third Congress.
As a member of that body he acquitted himself use-
fully and honorably. A forceful speaker, he cherished
no oratorical ambitions and spoke but seldom. He
was reckoned, however, among the most industrious
members of the House, and his services in the commit-
tee room were of much value.

As indicating his varied tastes and activities, it may
be mentioned that he was a life member of the Acad-
emy of Natural Sciences, of Philadelphia, and also of
the American Association for the Advancement of
Science, besides being a member of the Society of
American Mining Engineers.

During the war he was a loyal friend of the Union
soldiers, and supported a number of the families of
his workmen who had volunteered.

He was an active member of the Masonic fraternity
for more than half a century, and held the position of
Grand Master of Pennsylvania.

He died suddenly at his residence in Mauch Chunk
on December 1, 1893, in the seventy-second year of his
age. He was preparing to go to Washington to take
his seat at the beginning of the session of congress
of that year when the final summons came.

The usual tokens of respect were paid to his mem-
ory in both branches of the national legislature, and
his demise was sincerely mourned in the community in
which he lived.

Lindemuth, Theodore, postmaster of East Mauch
Chunk, and an insurance man of that place, is the son



THE NEW YORK
PUBLIC LIBRARY



TILDeN FOUNDATIONS,



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 503

of Jonathan and Catharine (Faust) Lindemuth, na-
tives of Schuylkill county, Pa.

His maternal grandfather, Jacob Faust, was the
founder of the village of Barnesville, Schuylkill county,
while his father, who was a contractor and lumberman,
was the first postmaster of Mahanoy City. At that
time the town was without railroads and the mail was
carried to and from the place on horseback.

Theodore Lindemuth was born at Barnesville, Jan-
uary 2, 1855.

Leaving school at the age of fifteen, he began life
as a brakeman for the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Be-
coming a locomotive engineer, he remained in the
service of this company until the strike of 1893. Dur-
ing the ensuing year he embarked in the business of
life insurance, which he has since successfully followed.

Mr. Lindemuth has lived in East Mauch Chunk
since 1882.

On January 24, 1883, he was united in marriage to
Louisa, a daughter of Charles Zellner, of that town.

His appointment as postmaster of the borough came
on February 23, 1911.

He has taken an active part in municipal affairs,
having held most of the offices in the gift of the people
of the community in which he lives. His political al-
legiance is given to the Republican party, while he is
identified with the Brotherhood of Locomotive En-
gineers and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
He is a communicant of the Methodist Episcopal
church.

Long, Dr. Wilson P., a Weatherly physician and
surgeon was born in Longswamp township, Berks
county. Pa., in 1861.

Frederick Long, his great-grandfather was a Palat-
inate immigrant. He fled from his native country to



504 ( HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

escape from the religious persecutions of the time,
settling in Berks county on land which was deeded to
him by the descendants of William Penn, the same be-
ing now included in the township of Longswamp.

In this freer and more hospitable environment he
spent the remainder of his life in agricultural pursuits,
being a man of influence in the community where he
lived.

His son, Daniel Long, who was also a farmer, be-
came possessed of the homestead acquired by the fath-
er. He married Eachel Snyder, a native of Montgom-
ery county. Pa.

David Long, one of their ten children, and the
father of the subject of this notice, was born in Berks
county in 1830. By his marriage to Floranda, daughter
of John P. Fegley, of Shamrock, Berks county, five
children were born: Mary, Celia, Amanda, Wilson,
and Malazina Long. The father of this family was
stricken with typhoid fever, of which he died in his
thirty-fourth year. Subsequently his widow became
the wife of William Butz, of Alburtis, Pa. Two of
their four children survive : Eev. Charles Butz, a min-
ister of the Eeformed church, and William Butz, a
farmer, of Mertztown, Pa.

Dr. W. P. Long was less than three years of age
when the death of his father occurred, and he was
early thrown largely upon his own resources.

When he was nine years of age he was taken into
the family of his uncle, Samuel Long, of Mertztown,
upon whose farm he labored and grew to maturity.

Having gained a fair common school education, he
later attended the Keystone State Normal School.
During a period of three years he was engaged as a
teacher.

Choosing the profession of medicine, he was matric-



HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY, 505

ulated in the medical department of the University of
Pennsylvania, from which institution he was gradu-
ated in 1886. Immediately thereafter he located at
Weatherly, establishing himself in the practice of his
profession, and soon gaining liberal recognition as
a result of his ability and skill in diagnosing and treat-
ing disease. He early discovered that a cheery pres-
ence in the sick room is an important factor in the
realm of therapeutics, and this has been one of the
secrets of his success.

In addition to his general practise, Dr. Long is the
local medical examiner for several old line insurance
companies, and is the official physician of the alms-
house of the Middle Coal Field Poor District, which
position he has filled for more than a decade.

As an aid to keeping abreast of the times in matters
affecting his profession, he has affiliated himself with
the Carbon County Medical Society, the Lehigh Valley
Medical Society, the State Medical Association, and
the American Medical Society.

Aside from his calling as a physician. Dr. Long fig-
ures actively in various phases of the life of the bor-
ough in which he lives. He was one of the organiz-
ers of the Weatherly Foundry and Machine Company,
of which he is a principal stockholder, being also a di-
rector of the company and serving as its secretary.



Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 35 of 44)