Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 36 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 36 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

He is similarly identified with the First National Bank
of Weatherly. Besides this he has an interest in a
mining enterprise at Hancock, Pa., which supplies the
C. K. Williams Paint Mills at Easton with ochre, and
he is a director and stockholder of the Allen Candy
Manufacturing Company, of Weatherly.

In 1892 he was elected to the office of coroner of
Carbon county on the Republican ticket, serving for
a single term.


Being a warm friend of the public school system,
he has repeatedly been chosen to serve as a member
of the board of education of the borough, of which he
has been the president. He was chairman of the build-
ing committee in the erection of the Schwab school

For some years he was the musical director of the
Reformed church of the town, of which he is now an
elder. Fraternally he is identified with the Patriotic
Order of Sons of America, the Grand Commandery of
Pennsylvania, the order of Modern Woodmen, and the
Free and Accepted Masons.

Dr. Long was married on August 2, 1886, to Clara
Boyer, of Reading, Pa. She died May 1, 1901, leaving
two sons, William S. and Albert F. Long. Both are
graduates of Ursinus College, from which the former
received the degree of A. B. and the latter that of B. S.
William is now a student in the medical department of
the University of Pennsylvania, while Albert is a
teacher at Kyle Military Institute, Flushing, Long Is-

Loose, Jacob C, a leading member of the Carbon
county bar, was born at Myerstown, Lebanon county,
Pa., on July 6, 1866.

He is the son of Jacob A. and Emma E. (Spangler)
Loose, his father having followed the mercantile busi-
ness at Palmyra, Pa., for many years. Attending the
Palmyra Academy he subsequently entered Dickinson
College, where he pursued a classical course, gradu-
ating from that institution in 1887.

Choosing the law as his profession, he studied in the
offices of the well-known firm of Craig and Loose, at
Mauch Chunk, comprised of the late vJudge Allen
Craig and the late James S. Loose, an uncle of the
subject of this sketch.



Upon his admission to the bar in January, 1890,
he opened an office at Mauch Chunk, where he prac-
tised his profession for about eighteen months.

Removing to Shenandoah, Va., he built up a practise
there and was elected mayor of the town. In 1897 he
returned to Mauch Chunk to become a member of the
firm of Loose, Craig and Loose. Upon the death of
his uncle, in July, 1898, the firm became Craig and
Loose, the other partner being Douglas Craig, a son
of the late Judge Allen Craig.

On November 17, 1892, during his stay in the South,
Mr. Loose was united in marriage with Alice M., daugh-
ter of Henry A. Bear and his wife, Betty, of Bear
Lithia Springs, Va. Their only son is Alan S. Loose,
born March 16, 1899. Another son, James B., died in

Mr. Loose is identified with the Pennsylvania Bar
Association, and the Common Law League of America.
He is a member of the board of trustees of the Dim-
mick Memorial Library, and of the Odd Fellows' Hall
Association, of Mauch Chunk, and is one of the war-
dens of St. John's Episcopal church, of East Mauch
Chunk, which is his place of residence. He also holds
the position of borough solicitor in the latter place.
Mr. Loose is a Republican. The success which has
come to him in his calling has been achieved by clean
and honorable methods.

Luckenbach, Edwin F., who for many years served
as postmaster of Mauch Chunk, where he was a rep-
resentative business man, was born near Bethlehem,
Northampton county. Pa., on October 11, 1842.

He was the son of Renautus and Catherine (Boyer)
Luckenbach. His father, who in early life had been
a blacksmith, later became a boat builder and followed
the mercantile career. His mother was a descendant of


Isaac Boyer, one of the pioneer settlers of Northamp-
ton county. Both father and mother died during the
seventies in Kansas, where they spent their declining

At the age of seventeen E. F. Luckenbach was ap-
prenticed to a house, sign and decorative painter,
named Anton Goth, of Bethlehem. His apprenticeship
expired on August 3, 1862. On the same day he en-
listed in the service of the Union, being enrolled as a
private in Company C, One Hundred and Twenty-
ninth Regiment Pennsylvania Volunteers. This regi-
ment was commanded by Colonel Jacob G. Frick, and
was assigned to the Army of the Potomac, becoming
a part of E. B. Tyler's First Brigade of Humphrey's
Third Division, Fifth Army Corps. Mr. Luckenbach
participated in the battles of Fredericksburg and
Chancellorsville, and on May 18, 1863, at the expira-
tion of his term of service, was honorably discharged.

In 1864 he located permanently in Mauch Chunk, at
first devoting his energies to the trade he had learned.
On January 1, 1871, he established a stationery, wall
paper and paint store at No. 61 Broadway; this he
successfully managed in connection with his other in-
terests during the remainder of his life.

In 1865 he was married to Miss Mary A. DeRemer,
a daughter of Peter and Mary M. (Quick) DeRemer.
Four children were born to them: Albert H., Hattie
L., wife of A. W. Hooke; William F. and Charles E.

Mr. Luckenbach was one of the prime movers in the
organization of the Upper Mauch Chunk Water Com-
pany in 1872. Being elected as its secretary, he con-
tinued in that capacity for forty years. In March,
1899, President McKinley appointed him as postmast-
er of Mauch Chunk, the duties of which position he
discharged with energy and ability until his death,
which occurred on March 3, 1912.


Mr. Luckenbach was at one time a member of the
town council of Mauch Chunk and served as its secre-
tary. He was also a charter member of L. F. Chapman
Post, No. 61, Grand Army of the Republic, twice
serving as its commander, while being identified with
the Royal Arcanum and the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks.

As a citizen he was public spirited and progressive,
always actively co-operating in any movement calcu-
lated to promote the welfare of the town of his adop-

As a mark of respect to his memory, all business was
suspended in Mauch Chunk on the day of his funeral.

Luther, Dr. John W., who is at the head of the
Palmerton Hospital, the only institution of its kind
situated in Carbon county, is a native of Berks county,
having been born in the city of Reading, May 21, 1875.
His family originally came from Lancaster county.
Peter Luther, a Lancaster county druggist was his
paternal grandfather, while William Behm, a Reading
hotel man, was his maternal grandfather. Martin and
Diller Luther, brothers of Peter Luther, were promi-
nent medical practitioners in Berks county.

Thomas M., the father of John W. Luther, was a
native of Reading, while his brother, R. C. Luther, de-
ceased, of Pottsville, was the superintendent of the
Philadelphia & Reading Coal and Iron Company and
was first vice president of that corporation.

Doctor Luther is a graduate of the Reading high
school, class of 1894. After spending a year at Drexel
Institute, Philadelphia, he entered the medical de-
partment of the University of Pennsylvania, from
which institution he graduated in 1899. He then
served as interne at the Reading Hospital for nine
months, later holding the same position at the Univer-


sity Hospital for eigliteen montlis. For one year he
was the chief resident physician in the same institution,
after which he practiced his profession on his own
account in Philadelphia. He was appointed instructor
in gynecology' at the University of Pennsylvania and
was assistant gj^necologist at the University Hospital,
as well as obstetrician at the Maternity Hospital.

In January, 1908, Doctor Luther took charge of the
Palmerton Hospital, having since been appointed as
a surgeon of the Central Eailroad of New Jersey.

When Palmerton was organized as a borough, in
1912, he was honored in being chosen as the first chief
burgess of the town. He is also the president of the
Palmerton Co-operative Association, president of the
Carbon County Medical Society, secretary of the Le-
high Valley Medical Association, and holds member-
ship in the Pennsylvania Medical Society and in the
American Medical Association.

He belongs to Slatington Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons, and attends the Lutheran church. His wife
was Aletta A. Artley, of Savannah, Ga., whom he mar-
ried in Julv, 1903.

Mack, William B., who was one of the pioneer resi-
dents of East Mauch Chunk, and a railroad man of
many years' experience, was born in Ulster county.
New York, September 15, 1825. His parents were
George and Margaret (Boggs) Mack, the father being
a well-known contractor.

Coming to Mauch Chunk when a boy, the subject of
this memoir began life as a printer in the newspaper
offices of that place.

His long career as a railroad man began in 1845,
when he entered the service of the Beaver Meadow
Railroad, being appointed as its road master about
five years later. When this company was absorbed by





the Lehigh Valley he continued in the service of the
latter, and in 1869 his authority as road master was
extended to include the Mahanoy Division. He retired
about 1893, after a continuous service of nearly half a

When Mr. Mack built his residence in East Mauch
Chunk there were but four or five other houses in the
place. His connection with the financial interests of
Mauch Chunk antedated the establishment of the na-
tional banking system. He was a director of the old
Mauch Chunk Bank, which was organized in 1855, and
was similarly identified with the First National Bank
of Mauch Chunk and the Mauch Chunk National Bank,
of which the first named institution was the prede-
cessor. He was also associated with the Mauch Chunk
Water Company for many years, serving as its presi-

In 1859 Mr. Mack was united in marriage to Jean,
daughter of James R. and Ellen B. (Tolan) Struthers,
of Mauch Chunk. Her father was a prominent lawyer,
and was the first district attorney of Carbon county.
They became the parents of eight children, three of
whom survive.

Mr. Mack departed this life on February 16, 1911, in
the eighty-sixth year of his age.

Martyn, John, Sr., for many years identified with the
coal mining industry in Carbon and the neighboring
counties of Schuylkill and Luzerne, a prominent
churchman and Sunday school worker, and one of Car-
bon county's grand old men, was born in St. Hillary
Parish, Cornwall, England, May 16, 1832. His grand-
father was Roger Martyn, a mining engineer, while
his father, John Martyn, was a mine captain in Corn-
wall. He was born in 1805, and, at the age of twenty-
three, was united in wedlock to Mary Gilbert. They


became the parents of four children: Samuel, John,
Elizabeth T., who became the wife of William Carter,
and Mary, who died in infancy.

Samuel was the first postmaster of Audenried, and
died while serving his third term as the superintendent
of public schools of Prince William county, Virginia.
The father of the family died in 1844.

John Martyn attended the parish schools in the place
of his birth until he became twelve years of age, when
he entered the copper mines, where he worked until his
sixteenth year, when, in the spring of 1848, he accom-
panied the rest of the family to America. They set-
tled in Tamaqua, Schuylkill county ; John there became
a practical miner, being employed in that capacity for
ten years. He then went to Stockton, Luzerne county,
where he became inside foreman for the firm of Packer,
Carter & Company. At the expiration of four years
Mr. Martyn was made the general superintendent of
Coleraine colliery, removing to Beaver Meadows, in
1862. This position he held for eight years, when he
became a member of the firm of Ely, Martyn & Com-
pany, securing a lease from Coxe Brothers & Company,
and opening and developing a coal property near Bea-
ver Meadows.

At the end of several years Mr. Martyn disposed of
his interest in this venture to the remaining members
of the firm, again assuming the superintendency of the
colliery at Coleraine for a short period.

Since 1883 he has lived in partial retirement, look-
ing after his real estate interests in Beaver Meadows,
and being occasionally called upon to pass expert judg-
ment on coal properties, both in the anthracite and the
bituminous fields.

Mr. Martyn has been thrice wedded. His first wife
was Jane Carter, a daughter of William Carter, a well-

V ( V

:nox and



known coal operator. The children of this marriage
were : John, who became an accountant and telegraph
operator; he died in 1898; William C, of Allentown;
Mary T., widow of Samuel Graham; Margaret, who
became the wife of Hon. Thomas H. Williams; she
died in 1892; Grace C, who is the second wife of
Thomas H. Williams; Charles S., a Dauphin county
physician, and Jane Martyn, residing in Hazleton.

Mrs. Martyn died in 1871, and two years later Mr.
Martyn became the husband of Elizabeth W. Jeffries,
of Philadelphia, who passed away ten years subse-
quent to that date.

In 1886 Mr. Martyn wedded Susanna E. Thompson,
a daughter of Alexander and Elizabeth Thompson, of
Berwick, Pa.

He has been an independent in politics, refusing to
kneel at the shrine of party regularity, but has always
been a militant foe of the liquor traffic. In 1886 he was
the Republican nominee for the office of associate judge
of Carbon county, but was defeated by a narrow mar-
gin. He has repeatedly been chosen as a delegate to
the state and national conventions of the Prohibition

Mr. Martyn has been a member of the Methodist
Episcopal church since 1848, while he has been elected
and served as superintendent of the Sunday school of
that denomination at Beaver Meadows for forty-five
consecutive years.

For several years past Mr. and Mrs. Martyn have
spent their winters in Florida.

Masonheimer, Rev. A. M., Ph.D., pastor of Salem's
Reformed church at Weatherly, is the son of John
Masonheimer, a native of the Palatinate, who emi-
grated to America in 1827, establishing his home in


Lehigh county. He was married to Barbara Rockel, a
native Pennsylvanian, and they had seven children.

Alfred M. Masonheimer was born near Allentown,
Lehigh county, October 25, 1853. Leaving the public
schools at the age of twelve years, he drove a horse
and cart about the iron mines near his home until he
reached the age of sixteen. He then attended the Key-
stone State Normal School and Palatinate College.

After teaching school for a number of years, he en-
tered Ursinus College. Later matriculating at Yale
University, he was graduated from that institution
with the degree of B.D. The degree of doctor of phil-
osophy, pro merito, has been conferred upon him by
Allegheny College.

Being licensed to preach the gospel in 1880, he was
stationed for a year at Orange, Vermont. In 1881 he
accepted a call to the Weatherly charge of the Reform-
ed church, which also includes St. Matthew's church, in
Packer township, and St. John's Reformed church at
Rockport. He preaches at the two last named places
on alternate Sundays.

During his long pastorate Doctor Masonheimer has
left a lasting impression on the lives and characters of
the people among whom he has labored, his broad, sym-
pathetic and kindly nature, coupled with thorough
equipment for his work, peculiarly qualifying him for
the discharge of his duties as a pastor.

He has also been greatly aided and strengthened in
carrying out his life's work by the ministrations of a
sensible and devoted wife who always faithfully assists
him in his pastoral duties, and who is greatly beloved
by all who know her. She bore the maiden name of
Catharine Ritter, being a daughter of Jeremiah and
Lucy Ritter, of Egypt, Lehigh county. Pa. Their mar-
riage was solemnized on March 25, 1881.


► nD



Since coming to Weatherly, Eev. Masonheimer has
administered the rite of baptism to eleven hundred and
seventy persons, confirmed nine hundred and thirty-
five, and performed over five hundred marriages. He
has also conducted nearly seven hundred and fifty fu-
nerals. The total membership of his charge is six hun-

He has interested himself, too, in the business and
industrial welfare of the borough, being a director of
the First National Bank, and having a voice in the af-
fairs of the Weatherly Foundry and Machine Com-
pany, the Weatherly Water Company, and other con-

He is a member of Hazle Lodge, No. 327, Free and
Accepted Masons, of Hazleton, and of Sodi Lodge, No.
80, Knights of Pythias, of Weatherly.

Mr. and Mrs. Masonheimer are the parents of three
children, all of whom are graduates of the Weatherly
high school. Elva, the eldest is also a graduate o^
the Allentown College for Women, and is now a teach-
er in the public schools of Weatherly. Williard is a
product of Lafayette College, and is at present a stu-
dent in the medical department of the University of
Pennsylvania. Alfred, having graduated at the Hazle-
ton high school, is now a sophomore at Franklin and
Marshall College.

McCabe, P. H., principal of the schools of East
Mauch Chunk and one of the successful educators of
Carbon county, was born at Nesquehoning, April 6,
1857. His father was Patrick McCabe, who was born
in County Cavan, Ireland, in 1820. He emigrated to
the United States in 1849, locating in New York city,
where for a number of years he supported himself by
doing clerical work. Coming to Nesquehoning he be-


came a coal miner, which occupation he followed the re-
mainder of his life.

He was married to Mrs. Sarah Bradwell, a native
of Sunderland, England. She came to America in 1832.
James, deceased, and Patrick, were their only children.

Patrick H. McCabe received his elementary educa-
tion in the schools of Nesquehoning, and at the age of
fourteen entered the mines. In 1876 he went to Mil-
lersville State Normal School, after which he taught
school for a number of terms. Later he attended Val-
paraiso University, where he graduated in the Latin
scientific course with the class of 1883. He is also a
graduate of Eastman Business College, of Poughkeep-
sie, N. Y.

Prof. McCabe has devoted all his time and energies
since reaching man's estate to educational work. He
taught school at Coalport, Summit Hill and at Nesque-
honing, serving for thirteen years at the last named
place. For eighteen years he has been principal at
East Mauch Chunk, and the schools under his supervi-
sion have steadily increased in efficiency and excellence
during that period, the majority of the graduates lead-
ing successful lives in their various fields of endeavor.

On June 30, 1887, Mr. McCabe was wedded to Emma
Grover, daughter of Nathan Grover, of East Mauch
Chunk. A boy and a girl, both of whom died in in-
fancy, were born to them.

McCay, William N., who was a well-known resident
of Banks township, was born at Americus, Ga., on
March 6, 1851, the son of Isaiah R. and Jane M.
(Righter) McCay. He was a relative of Charles Fran-
cis McCay, the noted American astronomer.

His father was a physician and when William was
four years of age the family removed to Beaver Mea-
dow, Carbon county, where the doctor practised his

-:j:T7riEW YORK


A8TO«. Lf »-OX



profession for a short time. His death occurred in
Mexico, in 1857, whither he had gone on a mission for
the United States government.

In early life, William McCay was employed on an
engineering corps of the Lehigh Valley Kailroad at
Hazleton. Subsequently he served for a time as a clerk
in the store of W. T. Carter and Company at Beaver
Meadow. Later he became a foreman at Coleraine col-
liery, operated by the same firm, continuing in that ca-
pacity for nearly a quarter of a century. For a long
period he also served as the general store-keeper at
this operation, now owned by the estate of A. S. Van

On October 28, 1874, he was married to Mary, a
daughter of George Reinmiller, of Beaver Meadow.
They became the parents of four sons and three daugh-

Mr. McCay was a man of broad sympathies and
many fine personal traits. He died on September 5,

McCormick, David, editor and owner of the Lehigh-
ton Press and postmaster of Lehighton, was born at
Hickory Run, Carbon county, on April 21, 1873. He
is the son of William C. and Elizabeth (Arnold) Mc-
Cormick, and has lived in Lehighton virtually all his

He acquired his education in the public schools of
the borough, and early manifested a liking for news-
paper work. When but a lad of fifteen he entered the
service of 0. B. Sigley, the well-known Mauch Chunk
printer and newspaper man, as an apprentice. Having
mastered the art which he chose to follow, he proceed-
ed to Philadelphia, where he was employed for a year
as a journeyman, after which he returned to accept a
position as foreman and local reporter for Mr. Sigley.


After a period of two years, he was induced to take the
place of foreman for the Lehighton Press, which had
then but recently been established ; this position he held
for two years.

Having, by this time, attained a thorough and practi-
cal knowledge of the business in its various details, and
being possessed of energy and ambition, Mr. McCor-
mick, on November 16, 1896, purchased the Press and
the printing establishment that was conducted in con-
nection therewith. He immediately proceeded to build
up and improve the property of which he was now the
sole owner, and his efforts have been crowned with
excellent results. Not only has the paper been enlarged
to twice its former size, but its circulation has been
more than trebled since he assumed control.

Mr. McCormick was the first to introduce the type-
setting and folding machine in Carbon county, while
his establishment has facilities for job printing that
would do credit to the plant of a larger town than Le-

The Press is issued weekly, and faithfully mirrors
the important happenings of the region in which it
circulates. The trenchant pen of its editor has given
the paper a commanding position among the journals
of the Lehigh Valley.

Mr. McCormick was appointed postmaster of Le-
highton early during the year 1911 ; immediately upon
assuming the duties of the office, his progressive spirit
was made manifest in the remodeling of the interior of
the postoffice and in the introduction of new furnish-
ings and a more modern equipment, adding to the com-
fort and convenience of the employes of the office and
the public alike.

He has been an active member of Lehighton 's oldest
fire company for many years, being the treasurer of

Capt. AYilliam C. McCormick.


that organization ; he is also a member of the Masonic
order, of the Sons of Veterans, and of various other

On October 14, 1896, Mr. McCormick was married
to Bertha Hollenbach, daughter of Elias F. and Mary
Hollenbach. Their children are : Robert D. and Mary
E. McCormick.

McCormick, William C, a veteran of the Civil War,
and a foremost citizen of Lehighton, was the son of
David McCormick, who was of Irish birth, but the de-
scendant of a Welsh and Scotch ancestry.

David McCormick was born in the year 1800, immi-
grating to America at the age of twenty-eight, and set-
tling in New Jersey. He assisted in constructing the
Morris Canal, connecting the Delaware river with the
harbor of New York, and was subsequently appointed
to the superintendency of the canal, which was more
than a hundred miles in length. In 1851 he came to
Carbon county, being thereafter engaged in the lumber
business. He married Mary Lockwood, a native of
Connecticut, who was thirteen years his junior, and
who bore him six sons and two daughters. The father
of these children died on March 23, 1854, while his
wife survived him nearly half a century, passing away
April 28, 1900.

William C. McCormick was born in New Jersey on
March 23, 1834. He was educated in his native town,
where he grew to maturity, and, in 1851, he removed

Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 36 of 44)