Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 37 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 37 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

with the family of his father to Carbon county, where
for a short period he followed lumbering. Later he
learned the trade of a wheelwright, which he pursued
successfully for some years.

He saw service in the cause of the Union during the
Civil War under two separate enlistments. He was
first a member of the One Hundred and Eighty-eighth


Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, and upon re-en-
listing on March 16, 1864, was enrolled as a private in
Company G, Third Regiment Pennsylvania Heavy
Artillery, which was attached to the Army of the
James. He was soon advanced to the rank of quarter-
master sergeant, being subsequently commissioned by
Governor Curtin as a second lieutenant, with the rank
of captain, though he never served in that capacity, due
to the fact that the opportunity did not present itself
before his discharge, in November, 1865.

He was one of the number to whom was assigned the
duty of guarding Jefferson Davis during the time when
the president of the fallen Confederacy was confined
as a prisoner in Fortress Monroe. The calm resigna-
tion and lofty fortitude displayed by the former south-
ern leader in his hour of defeat and humiliation excited
the admiration of Captain McCormick, between whom
and Davis a feeling of mutual respect and friendship
sprang up.

Mr. McCormick held most of the offices in the gift of
the people of Kidder township, where he lived prior to
his removal to Lehighton in 1876. During his resi-
dence here he also filled many positions of trust and
responsibility. He was a member of town council for
nine years, and served for the same period of time on
the school board, of which he was the president for a
time. He was elected to the office of burgess of Le-
highton in 1906. In the discharge of the various duties
of these offices, his conduct was always characterized
by progressiveness and a desire for the public good.

For more than twenty-five years Captain McCormick
was prominently identified with the Lehigh Valley
Emery Wheel Company, which was engaged in the
manufacture of emery and corundum wheels at Weiss-


He was married on August 20, 1860, to Elizabeth
Arnold, a native of Monroe county, who was born May
28, 1832. They became the parents of the following
children : Agnes, deceased ; James, deceased ; Thomas^
deceased; William, Edwin, Mary E., David, Amanda
A., and Ann, deceased. The mother of these children
died on August 27, 1880, and on December 22, 1881,
Mr. McCormick wedded Emma E. Christman. Two
children were born of this union: Lillian and Ella

Captain McCormick was a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and was honored with the position of com-
mander of the Lehighton Post of the Grand Army of
the Republic. His death occurred on March 14, 1909.

McGinley, John J., clerk of courts of Carbon county,
is a native of Summit Hill, where he was born on Jan-
uary 10, 1877. He is one of the ten children of Dennis
and Bridget (McCullion) McGinley. His father, who
was a miner, died in 1894 of the complaint which short-
ens the lives of so many underground toilers, — miners'

John left school at the age of eleven years to earn
his livelihood as a slate picker on the breaker. Subse-
quently he availed himself of the opportunity of at-
tending night school, however. Having grown to ma-
turity, he became a brakeman on the Panther Creek
Valley Railroad. Unfortunately, in 1903, while put-
ting on a brake, the chain broke, and he was precipi-
tated to the roadbed, having both legs cut off. After
many legal delays, subterfuges, and court trials, he
finally succeeded, in 1912, in placing the responsibility
for the accident upon the company owning the car, and
was awarded a substantial verdict.

In 1906 Mr. McGinley was chosen as tax collector of
Summit Hill, and three years later he was elected as


the Democratic candidate to the office of clerk of courts,
which he is now filling.

He is a member of St. Joseph's Catholic church, of
Summit Hill. Of his brothers and sisters, Katie and
Edward alone survive. They live at Summit Hill,
which is also the home of his widowed mother.

McMahon, Patrick J., landlord and owner of the
Eagle Hotel at Nesquehoning, was born in County
Cavan, Ireland, on October 10, 1861, the son of John
and Margaret (McGarry) McMahon. The family came
to the United States in 1863, settling at Nesquehoning.

At the age of nine years Patrick began life as a slate
picker. During his eighteenth year he went to Provi-
dence, R. I., where he learned the trade of a carpenter,
which he pursued until 1896. He then purchased the
hotel at Nesquehoning which he is now conducting.
This is one of the best known landmarks in the town,
and was built by Andrew McCabe about seventy years

Since Mr. McMahon acquired the ownership of the
hotel, it has been entirely refitted and modernized,
making it one of the most homelike and popular hostel-
ries between Mauch Chunk and Tamaqua. It adjoins
the spot where St. Patrick's Roman Catholic church
formerly stood.

Miller, George W., one of Weatherly's oldest and
best known merchants, the son of George and Eve
(Kocher) Miller, was born in Maine township, Colum-
bia county. Pa., on December 15, 1844. His grand-
father, Henry Miller, was a farmer, following that oc-
cupation first in Berks county and later in Columbia.
The farm which he owned in the latter county is still
in possession of his descendants. His son, George,
the father of the subject of this notice, who was also a
farmer, was born in 1803. He became the father of


sixteen children, and he served for three terms as a
member of the board of commissioners of Columbia

George W. Miller grew to manhood on his father's
farm. He was educated in the public schools and at
Greenwood Seminary, near Bloomsburg. Later he
pursued a course of study at Lowell 's Commercial Col-
lege, Binghampton, N. Y.

After teaching school for several terms, he came to
Weatherly in 1869, entering the employ of J. G. Eadie
as a clerk, and so continuing for a period of ten years.
He then purchased the general store which had pre-
viously been conducted jointly by Edward Wilson and
Edward and Samuel Harleman, in Oak Hall. Three
years subsequently he erected a large, modern brick
building for the accommodation of his growing busi-
ness, gaining a larger patronage than any other mer-
chant in the town. In 1904 the Miller Store Company
was organized. Mr. Miller is a member of this com-
pany, which continues the business he founded.

Aside from this, he has always retained a fondness
for agricultural pursuits, and he owns several acres of
land on the western verge of the borough which he has
under high cultivation, growing truck and small fruits
with splendid success.

He has held various offices in the gift of the people
of Weatherly, and he served for the term of three years
as a member of the directorate of the Middle Coal
Field Poor District.

On October 8, 1873, he was married to Sarah, the
daughter of Philip Ginter. Her great-grandfather dis-
covered coal at Summit Hill in the year 1791. She died
in 1894, and on October 8, 1895, Mr. Miller wedded
Huldah Gerhard.


He is a supporter of the principles of Democracy,
and is identified with the Knights of Pythias, the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows, the Improved Order
of Bed Men, and the Free and Accepted Masons, being
also a member of the Presbyterian church.

Morgan, Morgan 0., general inside foreman of the
mines in the Nesquehoning district, is the son of Mor-
gan D. and Mary (Price) Morgan, natives of Merthyr
Tidvil, Wales.

His parents came to America in 1857, first locating
at Ashland, Schuylkill county. Pa. Soon thereafter
the family removed to Summit Hill, where the father
was killed in the mines in 1861.

Morgan 0. Morgan was born at Summit Hill on Oc-
tober 7, 1861, becoming a breadwinner in the capacity
of a slate picker at the age of eight years. His life
since then has been spent in and about the mines of the
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company.

Coming to Nesquehoning in 1887, he was appointed
as a mine foreman in 1893. He has held his present
position since 1907. Mr. Morgan is recognized as one
of the leading practical authorities on mining in this
portion of the coal region, and his youthful appearance
would scarcely indicate that his experience covers a
period of more than forty years.

In 1879 he was married to Elizabeth, daughter of
Jenkin E. Jenkins, of Summit Hill. Their children are :
John, George, Jane, wife of Roy Stowell, of Harris-
burg, Pa.; Morgan D., Adella, wife of Roy Reich, of
Summit Hill ; Stanley and Edith.

Anna, their first-born, died in 1906, at the age of
twenty-five. She was a graduate of Kutztown State
Normal School, and of the Neff College of Oratory.
She was a school teacher and was a talented elocution-



Mr. Morgan has taken an active interest in politics,
and is well-known in Republican circles, being now a
member of the county executive committee of that
party. He served for six years as a member of the
Mauch Chunk township school board, and was elected
for a single term as a member of the board of auditors
of the Middle Coal Field Poor District.

Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order,
the Knights of Pythias, and the Benevolent and Pro-
tective Order of Elks.

Morthimer, George W., owner and publisher of the
Evening Leader, the only daily newspaper published in
Lehighton, is a son of the late Harry Vernon Morthi-
mer, who for many years was one of Carbon county's
prominent journalists. The elder Morthimer was born
in Edinburgh, Scotland, March 17, 1828, coming to the
United States at the age of ten years, and locating in
New York city. He began life as an assistant steward
on a sailing vessel, in which capacity he traversed the
seven seas. Returning to the city of his adoption, he
entered the newspaper field, serving under Greeley on
the New York Tribune and on other metropolitan
papers. During the decade of the fifties he came to
Mauch Chunk, where he married Elizabeth Williams, a
daughter of George Williams.

At the breaking out of the Civil War, Mr. Morthimer
enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Twelfth
Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving
practically through the whole war as quartermaster
sergeant. On the close of hostilities he returned to
Mauch Chunk and worked on the Coal Gazette, after
which he started a paper known as the Union Flag, a
weekly, which was subsequently purchased by General
Charles Albright and absorbed by the Gazette. Mr.
Morthimer then filled positions as reporter and editor


on various publications in Wilkes-Barre, Scranton and
other towns in the coal regions. In association with
George E. Boyle he launched a daily paper in Hazleton
termed the Miners' Daily Advocate, which lived for a
number of years. Returning to Carbon county he man-
aged the Weekly News at Lehighton for a time, estab-
lishing the Carbon Advocate in 1872, which paper he
owned and published until 1902, when it was sold to
P. M. Graul, the present owner.

Mr. Morthimer was the father of thirteen children,
of whom the following survive: Harry, William,
George, Thomas, Ralph, Melville and Jennie, who is
the wife of John Lerch, of Cherryville, Pa.

George W. Morthimer was born April 2, 1866, at
Mauch Chunk, and was educated in the schools of Le-
highton, becoming a worker in his father 's office at the
age of ten years. At sixteen he had so far progressed
as to warrant his father in placing him in practical
charge of the Advocate.

Mr. Morthimer made two unsuccessful attempts to
establish an evening journal in Lehighton. For about
eighteen months he conducted the Truth, a small week-
ly, at Lehighton, one of the features of which was his-
torical and biographical sketches of local interest
throughout Carbon county. It was absorbed by the

The Evening Leader was established by Mr. Mor-
thimer July 19, 1902, as a six-column daily, and in six
months was enlarged to seven columns. This paper
is newsy, well-edited and is popular as an advertising

Mr. Morthimer is of Democratic persuasion, and has
been prominent in the councils of his party for years.
He was elected as auditor of Carbon county in 1893,


i I

*SrOR, Lf.rox AND


and has served as secretary of the borough council of
Lehighton and as a member of the school board.

In 1903 he was chosen burgess of Lehighton, while
in 1909 he was returned to the same office without op-
position. Mr. Morthimer was also assistant postmas-
ter of Lehighton during Cleveland 's first term.

He is a member of the Masonic order and of the
Eagles, while he was one of the organizers of the Le-
highton board of commerce.

On December 8, 1891, he was married to Margie I.
Hunsinger, of Tremont, Schuylkill county. Guy V.
Morthimer is the only offspring of their marriage.
He is associated with his father in the conduct of the

Mulhearn, Dennis C, a Mauch Chunk merchant and
a veteran of the Civil War, is the son of John and
Annie (Sweeney) Mulhearn, both natives of Ireland,
who emigrated to this country in 1835.

The subject of this sketch was born at Mauch Chunk
on December 7, 1846, the third of a family of six chil-
dren. He early left school to become a slate picker on
the breaker at Hacklebernie, later becoming a boatman
on the Lehigh Canal.

In 1863 he ran away from home and joined Company
E, Thirty-fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer
Infantry, becoming a drummer boy.

Being discharged from the service at the solicitation
of his parents, he re-enlisted in the spring of 1864 as a
member of the Third Regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry,
attached to the Army of the Potomac. Sharing the
fortunes of his regiment in all its movements, opera-
tions and engagements, which included the battles of
Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Reams Station and the
siege of Petersburg, he was honorably discharged on


November 25, 1864, as a result of the exercise of the
same influence as before.

Returning to civil life, he became a brakeman on the
Lehigh Valley Railroad. In 1867 he went west, assist-
ing in the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad.

Coming back to Pennsylvania, he was employed in
the operating department of the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road until 1880. He then established himself as a deal-
er in general merchandise in the town of his nativity,
as he is still engaged.

Mr. Mulhearn occupied his present location on West
Broadway in 1883. An old Irish lady, who was a satis-
fied customer, designated his establishment as '^Stohr
Unric," the Celtic equivalent of *' honest store." By
this name it has since been known, and the aim of its
owner has ever been that the name should be expres-
sive of the fact.

On December 25, 1870, Mr. Mulhearn was united in
marriage to Annie, daughter of James and Bridget
McBride, of East Mauch Chunk. Their children are :
John and Sarah, deceased ; Edward J., Sallie, wife of
Patrick Dolan, of Hazleton; Hanna S., the wife of
Charles Scott, of Hazleton; Mary A., Bridget and
Annie, the two latter being deceased.

Mr. Mulhearn is a member and past commander of
Chapman Post, No. 61, G. A. R. He is a communicant
of the Roman Catholic church, and is identified with
the Knights of Columbus.

Hon. E. M. Mulhearn, the well-known Mauch Chunk
lawyer, is his brother.

Mulhearn, Hon. E. M. One of the most widely
known of Carbon county's native sons, and one who is
everywhere esteemed for his qualities of mind and
heart, as well as for his gifts of utterance, is E. M.
Mulhearn, Esq.


^ /^, 7c<u,^-<~^^^t^.

,40X ^NC


He has held many positions of honor and trust with-
in the gift of the people of the county and of those of
the borough of Mauch Chunk, where he has resided
since his birth. He is what is familiarly known as a
"good mixer," and, in his youth, had a taste for poli-
tics, which he outgrew as the years went by.

It was alone his loss of interest in this direction that
cut short a public career of unusual promise, Mr. Mul-
hearn, of his own volition, devoting his energies and
talents to his large and lucrative law practise rather
than follow the beckoning finger of ambition, which
earlier in his career pointed so unmistakably to polit-
ical success.

He is of Irish descent, his father, John Mulhearn,
having been born in County Donegal, Ireland, in 1812.
His mother's maiden name was Annie Sweeney, and
she first saw the light of day in the Emerald Isle in the
year 1808.

The father emigrated to America in 1835, settling in
Philadelphia. He and his future bride did not meet
until they came to the United States. They were mar-
ried in Philadelphia in 1843, subsequent to which event
they removed to Pottsville, where Mr. Mulhearn be-
came a coal miner.

From Pottsville the family came to Mauch Chunk,
Mr. Mulhearn spending the remainder of his active life
in the capacity of a miner for the Hacklebernie Coal
Company. His wife bore him six children: Hugh,
Patrick F., Dennis C, Edward M., John J., and Han-
nah V. Dennis and Hannah still live at Mauch Chunk.

E. M. Mulhearn was born at Mauch Chunk June 15,
1849. He attended the public schools, and at an early
age picked slate in the breaker at Hacklebernie. He
also boated for five seasons on the Lehigh Canal. En-
tering Villa Nova College, he graduated in 1871. Im-


mediately thereafter he began to read law in the office
of Daniel Kalbfus, who was not only a successful law-
yer, but a forceful and brilliant orator, and who was in
demand as a political campaigner all over Pennsyl-
vania and in some of the nearby states.

Later Mr. Mulhearn continued his studies under
John C. and Edward C. Dimmick, of Mauch Chunk,
being admitted to the bar on June 20, 1873. His rise
to prominence in his profession was rapid, his standing
as a lawyer being such that when the Mollie Maguire
trials came, a few years after his admission to the bar,
he was called upon to play a leading part for the de-
fense, among his clients having been Campbell, Doyle,
Kelly, Kerregan, ' ' The Squealer, ' ' and ' ' Yellow Jack ' '

Mr. Mulhearn early affiliated himself with the Re-
publican party, serving successively as secretary and
chairman of the county central committee for nearly
a decade. Chosen as district attorney of the county in
1881, he was re-elected in 1884. In 1889 he was elected
to the state legislature, declining a renomination two
years thereafter.

He has been the solicitor of the borough of Mauch
Chunk for about ten years, while for six years he was
the legal adviser of the county commissioners.

On November 10, 1881, Mr. Mulhearn was married
to Mary A., the daughter of John and Mary Behrndt,
of Mauch Chunk. Their domestic life was one of hap-
piness and of mutual helpfulness. Two children were
born to them, John B. and Mary D., the wife of Walter
A. Meekins, of Wilkes-Barre.

Mrs. Mulhearn, who was a member of St. John's
Lutheran church, died on February 28, 1891.

Mr. Mulhearn is a member of the Catholic church of
the Immaculate Conception. For seventeen years he

On*, i


has been the president of the St. Vincent De Paul So-
ciety, of this church, which has done noble charitable

He is a charter member of the Pennsylvania Bar As-
sociation, and is the president of the Carbon County
Law Library Association.

Mr. Mulhearn is fond of out-door life, and he spends
his summer vacations on the banks of Lake Harmony,
in Kidder township.

Mulhearn, John B., the only son of Hon. Edward M.
and Mary A. (Behrnt) Mulhearn, was born at Mauch
Chunk, Pa., on September 20, 1882. His early educa-
tion was secured in the parochial schools of the bor-
ough, which he attended until 1899. He prepared for
college at the Swarthmore Preparatory School, finish-
ing his general education at Villa Nova.

Entering Dickinson Law School, he graduated in
1909 with the degree of LL.B.

Subsequently he lived the life of a ranchman in east-
ern Montana for a time. Returning to Mauch Chunk,
he established himself in the general insurance and
real estate business, in which he has since been pros-
perously engaged.

On November 9, 1911, he was married to Rosa A.,
daughter of John and Celia O'Donnell, of East Mauch

Mr. Mulhearn is a member of the Delta Chi Fratern-
ity, belongs to the Roman Catholic church, and is iden-
tified with Damien Council No. 598, Knights of Colum-
bus. He is one of the active Republicans of Mauch
Chunk, and as a member of the fire department of the
borough, holds membership in the Marion Hose Com-

Neast, Charles, senior member of the firm of Charles
Neast and Company, contractors and builders, of


Mauch Chunk, and a representative man of affairs,
was born in Mecklenberg, Germany, on October 2,

His father, John Neast, emigrated to this country
with his family in 1854, settling at Mauch Chunk.

Charles early left the public schools to pick slate in
the breaker at Hacklebernie, later serving as a boat-
man on the Lehigh Canal and assisting in the construc-
tion of the Lehigh and Susquehanna Eailroad as a la-
borer. Learning the trade of a carpenter, he soon be-
came a contractor and builder, which business he has
since very successfully followed.

In addition to the numerous dwelling houses which
he has erected, the following well-known Mauch Chunk
buildings may be mentioned : The depot of the Central
Railroad of New Jersey; the building of the Young
Men's Christian Association; both of the public school
houses of the borough, the Roman Catholic Church,
and the parochial school building. He also erected the
Meeds Memorial church, of Nesquehoning ; the Epis-
copal church and vicarage, of Lehighton ; the Reform-
ed church, of East Mauch Chunk, and various other
prominent buildings.

The firm of Charles Neast and Company was organ-
ized in 1902, Mr. Neast taking his sons, George and
Frank and his son-in-law, Thomas Costenbader, into
partnership with himself. In addition to its other in-
terests, the firm operates a well equipped planing mill
in East Mauch Chunk.

Mr. Neast is the president of the Mauch Chunk Silk
Mill Company, of which he was one of the organizers.
This company operates mills at Mauch Chunk and at
Nesquehoning. He is also president of the Progres-
sive Building and Loan Association, of East Mauch
Chunk, while being a director of the Mauch Chunk
Trust Company.


He is active in religious circles and is a member of
the United Evangelical church. Politically speaking,
he is a Republican.

Mr. Neast was married in 1874 to Anna, daughter of
Charles Lobien, of Bloomingdale, Carbon county.
Their surviving children are: George, Frank, and
Mary, the wife of Thomas Costenbader.

Neeb, Henry J., a farmer of Towamensing township,
was born there on May 19, 1858. He is the son of Cas-
per and Mary (Ruhe) Neeb, both natives of Germany.
The father emigrated to America at the age of four-
teen years, settling in New Jersey. Going back to the
Fatherland, he returned to the United States, about
1848, building his permanent home in Towamensing
township, where he became a farmer. His death oc-
curred in 1902 at the age of seventy-seven years.

After leaving the common schools, Henry J. Neeb
worked on his father's farm for a period, later spend-
ing some time in the lumber woods of western Penn-
sylvania. Entering the service of the Lehigh Valley
Railroad Company, he was connected with the oper-
ating department of the road for thirteen years. In
1893 he purchased the farm on which he now lives, con-
sisting of 141 acres.

Mr. Neeb has served both as a school director and
as supervisor of Towamensing township. He is a Re-

On August 2, 1884, he was married to Elmira, daugh-
ter of Levi Behler of Franklin township. Their chil-
dren are: Harry, Charles, Mary, Lillie, deceased;
Luella, and Raymond.

Nuss, Lewis C, a Weatherly business man, was born
there on May 16, 1868. His father, Joseph Nuss, was a
native of Columbia county. Pa. He was a plumber
and tinsmith. Early in life he located at Summit Hill,


Carbon county, later removing to Weatherly, where he

Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 37 of 44)