Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 40 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 40 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Protective Order of Elks, the Eagles, and a number of
German societies. His political allegiance is given to
the Democracy.

Schaeffer, Samuel, a Weatherly contractor and build-
er, was born in the Mahoning Valley, Schuylkill county,
Pa., on March 2, 1861. He is the son of Samuel and
Juda Troxel Schaeffer, both natives of Lehigh county.
Educated in the public schools and at the Normal In-
stitute, situated in his native valley, he learned the
carpenter trade.

Coming to Weatherly at the age of twenty years, he
entered the car shops of the Lehigh Valley Railroad,
where he remained for seven years. Subsequently he
was engaged in general work in line with his calling,
finally becoming a contractor and builder. In order
to better qualify himself for the duties and demands
of this wider field, he mastered a course in architecture
during his spare time at home.

He has erected many modern dwelling houses and
buildings of a public nature in various parts of Carbon
county, usually employing quite a force of men.

Mr. Schaeffer has served as a school director of
Weatherly, and was for a time a foreman in the volun-
teer fire department of the town, being also a member
of its board of trade.

In 1883 he was married to Ellen, daughter of Charles
Shafer, of Monroe county. Five daughters and six
sons have been born of this marriage.

Scott, E. E., a lawyer of Summit Hill, is one of the
leading home builders of Carbon county, having been
prominently connected w^th the organization of three
very successful building and loan associations in the



.vS^^'



cUO% '^^^



^'^^^^VoOKO'^^^O^:,.



— ' - HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 563

Panther Creek Valley section — one at Coal Dale, an-
other at Lansford and the other at Summit Hill. The
last named is the Homestead Building and Loan Asso-
ciation, which furnishes the funds for the building of
thirty homes a year on an average. It has assets of
$380,000, and undivided profits in the sum of $80,000.
It is over seventeen years old and Mr. Scott has been
the secretary for over thirteen years.

Joseph, the father of E. E. Scott, was born in Ire-
land, and emigrating to America, located at Mauch
Chunk, where, in the early fifties, he married Fanny
Crummer, also a native of the Emerald Isle. For
thirty years he served in various capacities for the
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company.

Their children were: Joseph, who is a dentist at
Avoca, Pa. ; Ellsworth E., William C, who is a dentist
at Lansford; Leighton C, an attorney of the same
place, and Mary E. Scott, a former successful teacher
of Lansford, now a resident of the same place.

Ellsworth E. Scott was born at Upper Mauch Chunk,
December 23, 1861. At the age of nine years he be-
came a wage earner as a slate picker on the boats of
the Lehigh Canal at Mauch Chunk. The family moved
to Coal Dale where he followed the same occupation.
At fourteen he went inside as a door and sheet tender,
and was finally promoted to bell boy at the head of the
slope on the night shift. This permitted him to attend
the public schools for several hours each day. He
filled various positions about the mines until he became
twenty-one years of age when he went to Millersville
Normal School for a short time. After one year's ex-
perience as a teacher at Penn Haven Junction school,
he returned to the mines as a fireman because of better
pay. Three years later he again took up teaching,
having been elected to the Jamestown Grammar School



564 HISTORY OF CAKBON COUNTY.

at Summit Hill, which he taught for eleven years. He
served four years as principal of the Summit Hill
schools, resigning this position to study law in the of-
fices of Messrs. Bertolette and Barber, and was ad-
mitted to the bar January 13, 1902.

Mr. Scott has been the solicitor for the borough and
school district for several years. He is a vestryman
of St. Philip 's Protestant Episcopal church at Summit
Hill and belongs to the Tamaqua Masonic Lodge. He
is also a member of the Patriotic Order Sons of Amer-
ica.

He was married to Mary L., daughter of Rev. Henry
Margetts, of Cambria Center, N. Y., August 5, 1886.
Three children have been born to them: Leighton
Pearson, a Princeton honor graduate of the class of
1909, and a graduate of the law department of the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania, now practising his profession
in Philadelphia; Evelyn M. F., a graduate of Perkio-
men Seminary, and now stenographer in her father's
office; W. H. Eldon Scott, attending the Summit Hill
Grammar School.

Mr. Scott was elected a director of the Citizens' Na-
tional Bank of Lansford at its organization and has
been the secretary of the board of directors ever since.
He is also secretary of the Summit Hill Water Com-
pany. He stands for every movement for the better-
ment of the town and has been connected with the pub-
lic schools for the past twenty-five years, either as
teacher, director or solicitor. It was mainly through
his grit, foresight and effort that the grand new high
school building of the town became possible. The
boys and girls of the future will have cause to grate-
fully remember him.

Seidle, Hon. Charles H., formerly an associate judge
of Carbon county, and for many years prominently




c y/ z^*-^^



'OX ANo ;

iv'NOATIONS. I



IIISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY. 565

identified with the business and financial interests of
the southern portion of the county, was born in Ma-
honing township, December 8, 1842.

His parents were Jonathan and Sallie (Kocher)
Seidle, natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in
Northampton county and the latter in Carbon. His
ancestors, both paternal and maternal, were among the
early settlers of the Lehigh Valley, with the develop-
ment of which their names are intimately associated.

C. H. Seidle is the eldest of a family of six children.
Growing to maturity in the locality of his birth, he en-
joyed no educational advantages beyond those afforded
by the public schools. Being imbued with a thirst for
knowledge, however, he atoned for his lack of early
training by self-culture. He began life as a school
teacher, following this calling during the winter
months for five years, also conducting a summer school
at Lehighton for a short time.

In 1863 he entered the employ of Daniel Nothstein,
a dealer in general merchandise at Normal Square,
Mahoning township, as a clerk.

On New Year's Day, 1865, he married Catharine A.
Nothstein, the merchant's only daughter, succeeding
to the business upon the death of his father-in-law,
eight years later, and conducting it to the present time.

Judge Seidle, as he is familiarly known, was the
postmaster at Normal until the introduction of the free
delivery system in the township, in 1903. The post-
office was kept at his store, and other members of his
family held the office at various times.

He was elected to the associate judgeship as the nom-
inee of the Democratic party in 1888, serving for the
term of five years. He was one of the original stock-
holders of the First National Bank of Lehighton, be-
coming a member of its board of directors.



566 . HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

In 1902 he actively promoted the establishment of the
Citizens' National Bank, of the same place, and was
elected as the first president of that institution. He
resigned from the directorate of this bank in the fall
of 1911.

When Lee invaded Pennsjivania, in 1863, Mr. Sei-
dle enlisted for the emergency, becoming a corporal in
Company F, Thirty-fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania
Militia, performing guard duty at Reading and at
Philadelphia.

Of the three children born to him and his wife, one
is deceased. Emma L., their only daughter is the wife
of N. M. Balliet, a member of the Carbon county bar,
with whom Ira E., the only son, who is also a lawyer,
is associated under the firm name of Balliet and Seidle.
They have their offices in Lehighton.

Mr. Seidle is the owner of a farm in Mahoning town-
ship, which he manages in connection with his other in-
terests. He is one of the elders of Ben Salem Lutheran
church, situated in the Lizard Creek Valley.

Seidle, Ira E., junior member of the law firm of
Balliet and Seidle, of Lehighton, is the son of Hon.
Charles H. and Kate A (Nothstein) Seidle. He was
born at Normal, Mahoning township, the home of his
maternal ancestors since Revolutionary times, on He-
cember 11, 1869.

Graduating from the Lehighton high school with the
class of 1884, he entered Palatinate College in 1886; a
year later he entered Muhlenberg, which has since hon-
ored him with the degree of A. M., graduating from
that institution in 1890.

In 1891 he went to Yale, where he completed his gen-
eral education, and received the degree of B.A. He
began his legal studies at the Yale law school, finish-
ing his course at the law school of the University of



:w ,



V A n.



I Pi. LIBRARY



A8TOR, LEKIOX AND
jTILDEiy FOUN'DATIONC.



HISTORY OF CAEBON COUNTY. 557

Pennsylvania in 1895, and receiving the degree of
L.L.B. During this year he became a member of the
Philadelphia bar, and was later admitted to practise
before the Superior and Supreme courts of Pennsyl-
vania.

Prior to this he had taught school for two terms and
had served as principal of the Normal Institute for a
year. After practising his profession in Philadelphia
for a time he formed a partnership with his brother-in-
law, N. M. Balliet, succeeding to the legal practise of
the late Senator W. M. Rapsher at Lehighton. The
firm also maintains an office at Palmerton. In addition
to his other affairs, Mr. Seidle is the manager and
treasurer of the Lehighton Brick Company, and is the
secretary of the Lehigh Valley Building and Loan
Association, of which he is a director. He is also a di-
rector of the Carbon County Industrial Society, under
the auspices of which the county fair is annually held
at Lehighton, having served as the secretary of the
association.

For some time he held the position of postmaster at
Normal and was borough solicitor of Lehighton for
one year. Mr. Seidle is a member of the Masonic
fraternity at Lehighton, being also identified with
Lilly Chapter, R. A. M., and Packer Commandery, K.
T. of Mauch Chunk. He is a past officer of all these
bodies. His political allegiance is given to the Demo-
cratic party, and he attends the Lutheran church.

On October 2, 1900, he was married to Elizabeth M.,
daughter of Jesse L. and Amanda (Heberling) Gabel,
of Lehighton. Their only child, Louisa A. Seidle, was
born on December 24, 1902.

Sendel, Robert 0., chief burgess of Weatherly, and
one of the prominent young business men of that town,
was born there on February 22, 1880.



568 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

His father, J. C. Sendel, was a native of Mahoning
township. Educated at Palatinate College and at the
Allentown Business College, he taught school for sev-
eral years.

In 1874, he removed to Weatherly, near which place
he engaged in farming for a time. In 1887 he pur-
chased the hardware business of J. F. Kressley, be-
coming also a dealer in coal, lumber, farming imple-
ments, and engaging in general contracting. Being
possessed of first rate business ability, he prospered
from the start, later opening a branch store at Lehigh-
ton, in association with Peter Rouse.

He was one of the promoters of Weatherly 's large
silk throwing mill, and was one of the organizers of
the Weatherly Foundry and Machine Company, and
of the First National Bank of Weatherly, in both of
which he was a director. He was also influential in the
establishment of the fire department of the town, of
which he was for a time the chief, besides filling many
other positions of trust and responsibility.

In 1890 he was elected by the Republican party to the
office of county commissioner. It was during his in-
cumbency that the present court house of the county
was erected.

Mr. Sendel was married in 1877 to Vesta, daughter
of Simon and Harriet Blose, of Bowmanstown. Six
children were born to them : Robert 0., Ario, Hattie,
Carrie, Austin and Kenneth. The father died on De-
cember 6, 1902, aged fifty years.

R. O. Sendel graduated from the Weatherly high
school with the class of 1896, beginning his business
career as a clerk in his father's store in his native town.

During four years he filled a similar position in the
store at Lehighton. Upon the death of his father, he
returned to Weatherly to assume the management of



I PUBLIC LIBRARY^



TILO-H FOUNDATIONS. A




0. ^. pX^jMy



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 569

his estate. Among the first things claiming his atten-
tion was the construction of the passenger station of
the Lehigh Valley Railroad at Mauch Chunk, the con-
tract for which had been awarded to his father just be-
fore his demise. This is one of the finest stations on
the entire road.

At the age of twenty-two he was elected as a director
of the First National Bank of Weatherly, being then
one of the youngest bank directors in the United States.

Mr. Sendel was chosen to fill the office of chief bur-
gess in 1909, as the candidate of the Republican party.

In 1911, he purchased the interest of the other heirs
in the estate of his father, being now the sole owner of
the business, which he conducts in all its details, as be-
fore.

On October 2, 1907, he was married to Mattie, daugh-
ter of Peter Heim, of Lehighton. They have two chil-
dren : Margaret M. and Robert Charles.

Mr. Sendel is a member of the Masonic fraternity,
and attends the Reformed church.

Setzer, Chester G., district attorney of Carbon coun-
ty, prominent in fraternal society circles and as a
worker in the cause of popular education, is the son
of ex-sheriff Milton Setzer and his wife Hannah.

He was born November 17, 1880, one year prior to
the removal of the family of his father from Monroe
county to Franklin township, where he grew to matur-
ity and where he still resides. His early education was
acquired in the public schools of this district and in
those of Mauch Chunk, graduating from the high
school of the last named place with the class of 1899.

After serving three terms as a school teacher he en-
tered Dickinson Law School, from which he graduated
in June, 1905. He was admitted to practice in the
supreme court of Pennsylvania during the same month,



570 ■ HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

while he became a member of the bar of Carbon county
in October, 1905.

Opening an office in Weissport, he has successfully
practised his profession there since. He was elected
to the office of district attorney, as the candidate of the
Republican party, in 1911, by a large majority.

Mr. Setzer has been a member of the school board of
Franklin Independent District for a number of years,
acting as its secretary. He is also secretary of the
School Directors' Association of Carbon County, while
he has served as a delegate to the meetings of the
State Association of School Directors on several occa-
sions.

He is a member of the Eagles, P. 0. S. of A., 0. of
I. A., and of the Junior Mechanics; he was also state
president of the Pennsylvania Deutsch Gesellschaft in
1907.

Setzer, Milton, an ex-sheriff of Carbon county, and
influential in the councils of the Republican party, is
one of the descendants of Michael Setzer, who emi-
grated to America from Germany, September 26, 1753.
He settled in Hamilton township, Monroe county, and
he and his two sons served in the Continental Army
during the Revolutionary War.

The father of Milton Setzer was William Setzer, a
great-grandson of Michael Setzer, who was born in
Monroe county in 1836. He was married to Sarah B.
Woodling, and the issue of their union was eight chil-
dren. William Setzer was a stone mason by trade, and
while being a staunch Republican he filled various of-
fices of trust and honor in a district that was strongly
Democratic.

During the Civil War he served with distinction as
a member of the famous Eighty-first Regiment, Penn-
sylvania Volunteers, and was wounded at the battles



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 57I

of Spottsylvania and the Wilderness. He died, De-
cember 25, 1896.

Milton Setzer was born March 2, 1857, in Jackson
township, Monroe county, where the days of his youth
were spent. Coming to Carbon county in 1881, he was
employed successively as a boatman on the Lehigh
Canal and as a brakeman on the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road. He served as constable and as tax collector for
Franklin township for a period of seven years.

In 1894, at the age of 37, Mr. Setzer was elected to
the office of sheriff of Carbon county, and at the ex-
piration of his term, in association with John Rehrig,
for a time conducted the Mansion House at Mauch
Chunk. This partnership being dissolved, Mr. Setzer
continued the same enterprise with J. A. Bonnell as his
partner, under the firm name of Setzer & Bonnell.

Until recently he was the proprietor of the Franklin
House, situated in East Weissport, Franklin township.

Mr. Setzer was married to Hannah Miller, a daugh-
ter of Jacob and Elizabeth Miller, of Jackson township,
Monroe township. Their children are: Chester Gar-
field, Ada Irene, Arlington, William and Sarah Alice,
who is the wife of Webster J. Hongen, of Allentown.
Arlington and William follow the machinist's trade
and live in Tamaqua, while Ada remains at home.
Chester is a member of the Carbon county bar.

Fraternally Mr. Setzer is allied with the Sons of
Veterans, Eagles, Order of Independent Americans
and the Junior Mechanics.

Shive, Burdwell W., a Palmerton justice of the
peace, and a veteran of the Spanish-American War, is
descended from pioneer settlers of Carbon county.

His paternal grandfather, Ephraim Shive, was born
in Mahoning township. He was married to Sallie
Strohl, whose ancestors were among the very first to



572 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

brave the dangers and hardships of the wilderness
lying north of the Blue Ridge.

Hazard was the place of nativity of his mother's
father, William Bowman. He was married to Cath-
arine Behler, whose forefathers were early residents
of Lower Towamensing township.

Burdwell W., the son of James Wilson and Mary A.
(Bowman) Shive, was born at Lehigh Gap on Janu-
ary 2, 1877. Leaving school at the age of fifteen, he
served first as a clerk in a general store at Bowmans-
town, and later at Lansford.

At the breaking out of the Spanish war, he enlisted
in Company B, Eight Regiment, Pennsylvania Volun-
teer Infantry, and was stationed at various posts
throughout the South. But the war closed before he
saw any active service. Returning to Lansford, he con-
ducted a bakery in association with Harry Mohn, under
the firm name of Mohn and Shive, for about a year.
He then came to Palmerton, opening a tonsorial estab-
lishment, which he still conducts. He is also a dealer
in real estate and fire insurance. In 1907 he was elect-
ed to the ofiSce of justice of the peace for Lower Towa-
mensing township.

On October 17, 1904, Mr. Shive was married to Agnes
M., daughter of A. 0. Steffan and his wife Emma, of
South Bethlehem. Their only child is B. Hoyt Shive.

Mr. Shive is active and well-known in secret society
circles.

Sitler, Daniel W., a well-known member of the bar
of Carbon county, and a resident of Mauch Chunk, was
born in Mahoning township, January 28, 1867, a son
of Charles and Priscilla (Snyder) Sitler.

The father was a farmer of much native ability, and
was well-read ; having missed the privileges of a liberal
education, however, he was willing to make sacrifices
in order to make them possible to his children.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 573

Three of his daughters became teachers ; two grad-
uated from normal schools, while one of the number,
Ida Sitler, is a product of the University of Michigan.

After some preparation at the Normal Institute,
situated near his home, Daniel taught district school
for four years. Entering Williams College, Massa-
chusetts, in the fall of 1887, he graduated with the
class of 1891. Subsequently he was engaged as an in-
structor of mathematics in a private school in Phila-
delphia for a year.

In the summer of 1892 he began the study of law in
the office of Hon. James S. Biery, of Allentown, being
admitted to practise in the courts of Lehigh county in
1895. During the following year he became a member
of the bar of Carbon county, locating at Lansford, and
being the first attorney to open an office in that town.
During his residence at Lansford he served as the so-
licitor of the borough.

In 1898 he was nominated by the Republican party
for the office of district attorney, and upon his election
he removed to Mauch Chunk.

As the prosecuting officer of the county, he was
painstaking and efficient, serving a single term. Since
then he has been engaged in the general practise of the
law.

Mr. Sitler has been admitted to practice in the high-
er courts of the state, and in the district court of the
United States. He has established a reputation as a
careful, conscientious lawyer, always mindful of the
interests of his clients, while living up to the best tra-
ditions of his profession.

In 1897 he was married to Amanda, daughter of
Nathan and Sarah Balliet, of Mahoning township.
Their three children are: Helen, Mary and Charles
Everett.



574 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

ShuU, Brinton M., supervisory principal of the
schools of Lehighton, is a native of Perry county,
where he was born January 17, 1873. He is tlie son
of David and Lea (Yohe) Shull, being one of a family
of ten children. He spent his early life on his father's
farm, attended the public schools and graduated from
Marysville high school with the class of 1889.

In 1892 he graduated from the Shippensburg State
Normal School, later taking a post graduate course at
the West Chester State Normal School, a course in the
Harrisburg School of Commerce and in Milton Univer-
sity, Baltimore.

Prof. Shull began his career as a teacher in a dis-
trict school of his native county ; he taught one year in
a village high school in Dauphin county, and then in the
high school of his home township. He came to Lehigh-
ton in 1898, being first employed as a grammar school
teacher, and serving successively as principal of the
First Ward building, assistant principal, and then
principal of the high school. In 1908 he was appointed
to the newly created office of supervisory principal of
all the schools of the borough.

While being abreast of the times along lines of the
best thought in his chosen field of endeavor, and while
striving intelligently and systematically for the im-
provement and upbuilding of the schools under his
supervision, Prof. Shull is opposed to fads and non-
essentials in educational work.

He was married, November 28, 1907, to Carrie E.,
daughter of Reuben Fenstermacher and his wife La-
vina, of Lehighton.

Fraternally Mr. Shull is connected with the Patriotic
Order Sons of America, Knights of Malta, Odd Fel-
lows and Free and Accepted Masons. He is a mem-
ber of the United Evangelical church.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 575

Smith, Alfred F., cashier of the Citizens' National
Bank of Lehighton, was born in East Penn township,
Carbon county, on December 29, 1872.

His father, Owen Smith, was a native of Lehigh
county, where he remained until his sixteenth year,
when he came to East Penn township, where he fol-
lowed the vocation of a farmer. He was married to
Sallinda Andreas, who was of English descent, and
who bore him seven sons, all of whom grew to ma-
turity. During the eighties the family removed to
Mahoning township, where the mother died in 1897,
being in her sixtieth year. The father died in 1909, in
the seventy-third year of his age.

Alfred F. Smith acquired his early training in the
public schools, later attending the Kutztown State
Normal School, and taking a course in the American
Business College at Allentown. He taught school for
three years in Mahoning township, and for a time
served as a clerk in a general store in Lehighton.

For two years he was a bookkeeper in the employ of
H. A. Buchman, of East Mauch Chunk. In 1898 Mr.
Smith accepted a position as bookkeeper and general
manager for 0. J. Saeger, a wholesale dealer in fruit
and produce at Lehighton. Following this he served as
a traveling salesman for a wholesale grocery firm, of
Bethlehem, Pa.

Early in 1909 he entered the Citizens' National
Bank of Lehighton, as a teller, succeeding A. S. Beisel
as cashier of that institution on July 1, 1910.

Mr. Smith wedded Lillie McLean, daughter of Rol)-
ert McLean, of Mahoning township, on May 21, 1806.
Their children are : Ralph A. and Russel R. 0. Smith.



Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 40 of 44)