Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 42 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 42 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


gaged in business, and died there in May, 1885, seventy
years of age. He was buried beside his first wife in
the Mauch Chunk cemetery.

Swank, Philip R., well-known in building and loan
association circles, and chief clerk in the coal traffic
department of the Central Railroad of New Jersey at
Mauch Chunk, is a resident of East Mauch Chimk. His



590 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

father, Charles W. Swank, had charge of the shipping
wharves of the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company
at East Maueh Chunk and at Coalport for many years.
Philip R. Swank was born in Upper Mauch Chunk,
March 23, 1860. His mother bore the maiden name of
Margaret Andrews.

After leaving the public schools, he pursued a course
at the Allentown Business College, where he gradu-
ated in 1877, acquiring especial proficiency in penman-
ship. He gained his first practical experience in asso-
ciation with his father in the flour and feed business.
In 1883 he went to Towanda, Pa., to conduct a gro-
cery store, returning to his home after two years and
entering the service of the Lehigh Valley Railroad
Company. He has filled his present position since
1892.

Mr. Swank was one of the organizers of the Progres-
sive Building and Loan Association of East Mauch
Chunk, through the agency of which many of the sub-
stantial homes of that place and vicinity have been
erected. This association now has assets amounting
to more than half a million of dollars, and is recog-
nized by the Banking Department of Pennsylvania as
one of the best conducted associations of its kind in the
state, never having lost a dollar since it was started,
in 1892. Mr. Swank served as its secretary and treas-
urer for eighteen years, still holding the first named
office. He also assisted in organizing the Lehigh Val-
ley Building and Loan Association of Lehighton, and
the Workingmen's Association, of Summit Hill, be-
sides installing the systems of a number of similar in-
stitutions in the county, and giving his services as an
expert accountant.

He is a charter member of the Memorial Presbyter-
ian church of East Mauch Chunk, of which he was one



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. , 591

of the founders, acting as an elder and clerk of the ses-
sion. On March 21, 1882, he was married to Emma M.,
daughter of David Snyder, of MilljDort, Carbon coun-
ty. They have two sons, David Lloyd, who is a gradu-
ate of Lafayette College, now identified with the
Wilkes-Barre Railway Company, of Wilkes-Barre,
Pa., and Charles W. Swank, Jr., a public accountant, of
New York.

Taylor, Henry C, of Audenried, was born at Potts-
ville, Schuylkill county, on October 29, 1838, the son
of Charles W. and Susanna Taylor. A few years sub-
sequent to his birth his parents removed to Miners-
ville, in the same county, where they resided for more
than sixty years.

The subject of this notice was educated in the com-
mon schools and at Dickinson Seminary, Williamsport,
Pa. Enlisting in 1862, in the One Hundred and Twenty-
Ninth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, he became
quartermaster sergeant of the regiment, serving in
that capacity until his command was mustered out of
service. In 1868 he was appointed to the position of
bookkeeper and paymaster of the Honey Brook Coal
Company at Audenried. Later this company was ab-
sorbed by the Lehigh and Wilkes-Barre Coal Company,
with which Mr. Taylor still remains after nearly forty-
five years of service.

On October 19, 1892, he was married to Mary K.
Koons, of Lehighton.

He is identified with the Grand Army of the Re-
public and with the Benevolent and Protective Order
of Elks. Like so many others among his soldier com-
rades, he is a loyal Republican, having cast his first
presidential vote for Abraham Lincoln.

Thomas, Albert J., one of the most influential citi-
zens of Lansford, where he has for many years been a



592 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

leader in business and financial circles, is the son of
John and Jane (Morgan) Thomas, both natives of
South Wales, but wedded in America. The father lo-
cated in New York City, about 1832, and became a
master machinist. Nearly twenty years later the fam-
ily came to Old Sugarloaf, Hazleton, Luzerne county,
where A. J. Thomas was born on June 8, 1853.

He received scarcely any schooling, and at the age of
nine began life as a slate picker on the breaker. Later
he was employed inside the mines. At the age of four-
teen he came to Summit Hill to work in a store at a
salary of seven dollars a month and board. In 1871,
he became the manager of a store conducted by John
C. Edwards and Anthony Schneider, under the firm
name of Schneider and Edwards. This arrangement
continued for five years. Lansford was now rapidly
expanding, and Mr. Thomas, John C. Edwards and C.
C. Edwards opened a general store there under the
style and title of J. C. Edwards and Company. C. C.
Edwards retired from the firm in 1882, while Mr.
Thomas and J. C. Edwards continued as partners until
1898, when the former became sole owner of the busi-
ness, still so remaining.

By fair dealing and business acumen Mr. Thomas
has made his establishment one of the largest and busi-
est in the county. He has been a man of varied inter-
ests and great activity, taking a leading part in the
development and upbuilding of Lansford and its insti-
tutions. He was influential in the establishment of the
postoffice in the town, in 1873, while being a prime
mover in the organization of the borough, accom-
plished a few years later.

When the Slavs began to pour into the coal fields,
Mr. Thomas demonstrated his adaptability by early ac-
quiring their language, thus facilitating intercourse



Pb



iBRARY



ASTOR, L'
TILDCN FO'.





a




"^JXjI^^^^^^



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. ; 593

with the newcomers and gaining their confidence. He
became their banker in his community and did a thriv-
ing business among them as a steamship agent. He
was one of the founders of the First National Bank of
Lansford, and has served as its president from the
start. This bank now has deposits of over a million
dollars.

While he has never sought political honors, he has
served as a member of the school board and of town
council, also being elected to the office of county audi-
tor as a Republican.

On February 9, 1875, he was married to Sarah,
daughter of Thomas Walton, of Warsaw, Indiana.
They have six surviving children.

Mr. Thomas is a charter member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows and of the Knights of Pythias,
of Lansford. He is the owner of valuable real estate in
the town. By reading good books and by self-culture,
he has atoned for his lack of early educational advan-
tages.

Trezise, Robert A., postmaster of Beaver Meadow,
where he also conducts a grocery store, is the son of
James and Mary (Stevens) Trezise. Both his parents
were natives of Cornwall, England, where the father
was during his youth employed as a miner of tin and
copper. In 1865 he emigrated to the United States,
locating at Stockton, Luzerne county. Pa., and follow-
ing the coal mines. It was there that Robert was born
on October 8, 1866.

When he was six months old the family removed to
Beaver Meadow, where he attended the public schools
until his eleventh year. He then entered the mines as
a door-tender, becoming a contract miner at the age of
sixteen. He and his father sank the first slope at
Evans' colliery, near Beaver Meadow. In 1890, Mr.



594 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Trezise embarked in the grocery business, which he
has since followed. In 1909, in association with J. M.
Stauffer, under the firm name of Stauffer and Trezise,
he operated a colliery at Beaver Brook, Luzerne coun-
ty. This partnership was dissolved at the end of a
year.

Mr. Trezise is a stockholder and promoter of the
Penn Forest Coal Company, recently started and pros-
pecting for coal at Penrose's, Banks township. He was
the prime mover in the organization of the Beaver
Meadow Rural Telephone Company, of which he is the
agent, also taking part in the establishment of the
People's Savings and Trust Company of Hazleton. He
has for a long time been influential in the councils of
the Republican party in the county, serving as a com-
mitteeman and as delegate to various district confer-
ences. In 1905 he was the nominee of his party for
the office of register of wills and clerk of the orphans'
court, but was defeated. During the following year
he was appointed postmaster of Beaver Meadow.

He was married in 1889 to Emma, daughter of John
Fry and his wife, Susan, of Beaver Meadow. Their
four children are : Alma, Edith, Jolm and Mary. Rob-
ert died in infancy.

Mr. Trezise is identified with the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows and the Patriotic Order of Sons of
America.

Twining, Edgar, whose connection with the financial
interests of Mauch Chunk antedated the establishment
of the national banking system, and who was until re-
cently the cashier of the Mauch Chunk National Bank,
was born at Parryville on October 10, 1840. He was
the son of Jonathan R. and Susan (Balliet) Twining.
His paternal ancestors were Quakers, being numbered
among the early settlers of Bucks county, Pa., while






a^




\c-



THE NEW
PUBLIC L^BR






HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 595

his mother was descended from Paul Balliet, who emi-
grated to America from Germany in the year 1738. He
located in Lehigh county, where he became a large land
owner and the father of a numerous progeny.

Jonathan Twining was the shipping agent of the old
Beaver Meadow Coal Company at Parryville. When
the freshet of 1841 destroyed the company's improve-
ments there, the family removed to East Mauch Chunk,
which then became the shipping point. Later the fa-
ther became connected with the Hazleton Coal Com-
pany at Penn Haven.

Edgar Twining acquired his early education in the
public schools, later studying under private tutors both
at Mauch Chunk and at Allentown. At the age of six-
teen or thereabout he began life as a clerk in the store
of Mathias Fegley at Mauch Chunk, where he remained
for a short period. After several changes he became
the weighmaster of the Hazleton Coal Company at
Penn Haven. In January, 1862, he was appointed as
a teller of the Mauch Chunk Bank, a state institution,
which was succeeded in 1864 by the First National
Bank, the predecessor of the Mauch Chunk National
Bank of to-day.

In 1893 Mr. Twining was appointed as cashier of
the First National Bank, serving as such until the ex-
piration of its charter, in 1902, when the Mauch Chunk
National Bank was organized, and he became its cash-
ier, in which capacity he served during the remainder
of his life. The duties and exactions of his vocation
left him little opportunity for other emploj^ments or
pursuits, although he was elected to the office of county
treasurer as the nominee of the Republican party in
1871. He was an executor and trustee of the estates
of the late Gen. William Lilly and Edward B. Leiseu-
ring, both of whom left large fortunes.



596 I HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Mr. Twining never married. For years he made his
home at the Mansion House, and during the last eigh-
teen years of his life he lived at the American Hotel.
He was one of Mauch Chunk's best known and most
respected citizens. His death, on June 5, 1912, was
caused by a paralytic stroke.

Van Dyke, Burton, a native of Weatherly who has
achieved success in the field of mechanics, is a son of
William Van Dyke, a veteran of the Civil War, and
his wife Emily, who was a daughter of Nathaniel Zoll.
Born at Weatherly on July 27, 1871, he was educated
in the schools of that borough. At the age of sixteen
he began life as a boilermaker 's apprentice in the shops
of the Lehigh Valley Railroad at Weatherly, subse-
quently fitting himself as a machinist. Having com-
pleted his trade, he worked in many locomotive shops
in various parts of the country. He also served in the
capacity of chief engineer in some of the large hotels
of Palm Beach, Miami, and other winter resorts of
Florida.

In 1900 Mr. Van Dyke accepted the position of mas-
ter mechanic for the Spanish- American Iron Company
at Daiquiri, Cuba. He has since become the superin-
tendent of motive power for this company, having en-
tire charge of all its rolling stock, machinery and min-
ing equipment. This is the largest mining company of
Cuba, being owned and controlled by the Pennsylvania
Steel Company. Its output is shipped to Sparrows
Point, Md., and to Steelton, Pa.

Mr. Van Dyke is prominent in Masonic circles. He
was united in marriage to Alverna L., daughter of
David Holman, of Weatherly, on November 29, 1911.
They have established their home in Cuba.

Van Dyke, Warren R., resident secretary of the
Democratic state committee at Harrisburg, and until



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 597

recently a prominent figure in Carbon county, was born
at Weatherly, April 23, 1877. He is a son of William
and Emily (Zoll) Van Dyke, long-time residents of
Weatherly, where the father was formerly employed
as a locomotive engineer.

Mr. Van Dyke is a product of the Weatherly high
school, early learning the trade of a printer in the
office of the Herald, of which paper he was the asso-
ciate editor for a period of about ten years. Relin-
quishing his newspaper duties, he embarked in the real
estate and general insurance business, which he suc-
cessfully followed at Weatherly.

In 1905 he was elected as the nominee of the Demo-
cratic party to the office of recorder of deeds of Car-
bon county. At the expiration of his term, he was
chosen as chief clerk to the county commissioners, in
which capacity he served until the spring of 1911. He
was then prevailed upon to accept the appointment
which he is now holding, taking up his residence at
Harrisburg.

Mr. Van Dyke was one of Weatherly 's most progres-
sive and public-spirited citizens, being always found in
the van of every forward movement. He served as a
member of town council and of the school board, while
being a director of the Anthracite Building and Loan
Association, and of the board of trade of the borough.
As a member of the Methodist church he was particu-
larly active in the religious life of the town, also serv-
ing as the superintendent of the Sunday school con-
nected with this organization.

Mr. Van Dyke was united in marriage to Mattie,
daughter of J. W. Hunter, of Weatherly, on February
28, 1900. They have two children, Clare and Louise
Van Dyke. Philip died in infancy.



598 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Waaser, J. E., M.D., one of Carbon county's most
prominent physicians, and formerly a director of the
Middle Coal Field Poor District, is a son of John and
Anna (Goas) Waaser, natives of Germany, who came
to the United States in 1852, settling near Orwigsburg,
Schuylkill county. After a few years they removed to
Schuylkill Haven, where Mr. Waaser was employed at
his trade as a cooper.

John E. Waaser was born at Schuvlkill Haven, Oc-
tober 24, 1869. He attended the public schools of that
town until his twelfth year, when he came to Hazleton
to live with his sister, who is the wife of Doctor Wil-
liam G. Dietz. Graduating from the Hazleton high
school with the class of 1886, Mr, Waaser accepted a
clerkship in the store of J. C. Haydon & Company, at
Jeanesville, Luzerne county, remaining there for two
years. Later he worked with a corps of civil engineers
under the direction of L. 0. Emmerich, Esq., of Hazle-
ton. In 1889 he entered Hahnemann Medical College,
of Philadelphia, being graduated four years subse-
quent to that time with high honors. After serving for
a year as resident surgeon at the Hahnemann Hospital,
Doctor Waaser located in East Mauch Chunk, and
began the practice of his profession there. He enjoys
a large practice and was successful from the start.

Doctor Waaser has served as a school director of
East Mauch Chunk for two terms, and was elected to
the office of poor director for the term of three years
in 1906. He was one of the organizers of the Citizens'
National Bank, of East Mauch Chunk, being now a di-
rector of that institution. He is prominent in Masonic
circles, while being a member of several other frater-
nal societies.

On September 14, 1904, Dr. Waaser was married to
Mrs. Rebecca Morris Heraty, of Philadelphia. They






KS-rO



ut'



mOV-



fWO



^-f^'«*-



TH



Dt



„ ^oo^^•-'^ _.





'^ 5^ ^few4..



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 599

have two children, Anna and John. Doctor Waaser is
a member and vestryman of the Episcopal church, and
lives in a beautiful residence on Center street.

Wagner, Levi Fox, an ex-burgess of Weatherly, and
for many years a foreman for the Lehigh Valley Rail-
road Company, is a native of Northampton county, but
now lives in Lehighton.

Charles Wagner, the father of Levi F. Wagner, grew
to manhood in Northampton county. He learned the
trade of a wheelwright, and in early life was married
to Gertrude E. Schumann. They became the parents
of seven children. Subsequent to his marriage, Mr.
Wagner removed with his family to Pike county, where
he conducted a farm. He spent the last fifteen years
of his life in retirement at Stroudsburg, where he died,
about 1891, at the age of seventy-six years.

Levi F. Wagner was born at Martin's Creek on De-
cember 25, 1838. He spent his boyhood on his father's
farm in Pike county. He was educated in the Bush-
kill Academy near Stroudsburg, and learned the car-
penter's trade. In 1864 he came to Mauch Chunk,
where he remained for a year, after which he entered
the employ of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company at
Weatherly. He served as a foreman in the car shops
there for thirty-one years, and when the shops at
Weatherly were abandoned he was retained in a sim-
ilar capacity in the shops at Packerton, where he still
remains, being one of the oldest foremen, in point of
service, in the employ of the company.

He was married on July 20, 1871, to Anna, daughter
of Jacob and Rebecca Cole, of Newton, N. J. Their
children are : Charles E., Lenora C, J. Thomas, and
Nell E. Wagner. In 1899 Mr. Wagner removed with
his family to Lehighton.



500 HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY.

During his residence in Weatherly he served for
nine years as a member of the school board, was a
member of town council, and was thrice elected to the
office of chief burgess, liberally contributing of his
time and energy to every cause for the public good.
Mr. Wagner is an elder in the Presbyterian church, and
is still an active and enthusiastic worker in the Sunday
school. He is a supporter of the principles of the Dem-
ocratic party.

Warner, Edwin F., a leading Weatherly business
man, and formerly a member of the board of county
commissioners, was born in Tannersville, Monroe
county, Pa., on January 11, 1857. His paternal grand-
father, George Warner, was a native of Northampton
county, the year of his birth being 1790. He was a
cooper by trade, and he also served as a surgeon in the
war of 1812.

Peter Warner, the father of the subject of this
sketch, was born in Pocono township, Monroe county,
Pa., on Christmas Day, 1835. Early in life he learned
the carpenter trade, later becoming a cabinet maker, as
well, and following the dual pursuits for a number of
years. Subsequently he gained success as a contractor
and builder, finally opening an undertaking establish-
ment, which he conducted for many years. He is yet
numbered among the substantial citizens of Tanners-
ville, where he served as a justice of the peace for
nearly two generations. His wife, before her marriage,
was Lavina Sittler, and was born in Lehigh county
in 1832. They had four children : Edwin F., Emma S.,
the wife of William H. Werkheiser, of Chester, W. Va.,
Elmer and Sarah, who married Woodward Kresge, of
Monroe county.

Edwin F. Warner was educated in the public schools,
learning the cabinet maker's trade and the undertaking





->a^:^H^i^ T^/T^^^z^z^^



1 PUBLIC V.I-



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. gQl

business from his father. In 1881 he located in Weath-
erly, founding the furniture and undertaking establish-
ment of which he is still the head, and which he has
conducted with uniform success. In this connection it
may be said that he is a graduate of Clark's School of
Embalming, together with several other institutions of
a like nature.

Mr. Warner has been prominently identified with the
various interests and phases of the life of Weatherly
since taking up his residence in the town. He was one
of the organizers of the Weatherly Foundry and Ma-
chine Company and of the First National Bank of
Weatherly, still serving as a director of both institu-
tions. He is also the president of the Anthracite Build-
ing and Loan Association, one of the model institutions
of its kind in Pennsylvania. For ten successive years
he served as a member of town council, being for a
time the president of that body. He is now the chief
of the fire department of the borough.

In 1908 he was elected to the office of county com-
missioner as the candidate of the Democratic party,
receiving the almost unanimous support of the voters
in his own community and the surrounding districts.
Packer township honored him by recording every vote
cast in his favor. It was largely due to his influence as
a commissioner that the road across the Broad Moun-
tain, connecting Hudsondale with Mauch Chunk, which
had been abandoned, was rebuilt.

Mr. Warner is connected with many fraternal organ-
izations. He is a member of Hazle Lodge, No. 327, F.
and A. M. ; Lilly Chapter, No. 177, R. A. M., of Mauch
Chunk, and Hazleton Commandery, No. 73, K. T. ; he
also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows,
Knights of Pythias, Knights of the Golden Eagle, the
Improved Order of Red Men, and the Patriotic Order
of Sons of America.



602 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

In 1882 he was married to Carrie, daughter of
George Wass, of Tannersville. They are the parents
of the following children: H. Fred, Peter G. ;C.,
Mayme, Carrie, Nettie and George Charles.

Harvey Fred Warner was born at Weatherly on
August 17, 1883. After completing the high school
course in his native town he attended the Hazleton
Business College, from which he was graduated in
1900. For several years he was a clerk in the office
of the master machinist of the Lehigh Valley Railroad
at Weatherly, after which he served as a teller in the
national bank of the town. He is now the chief clerk
of the Weatherly Foundry and Machine Company. He
is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Patri-
otic Order of Sons of America.

Peter G. C. Warner was born at Weatherly on May
4, 1885. Completing his studies at the high school in
1902, he went to Eckles School of Embalming, at Phil-
adelphia, being graduated the same year. Since then
he has assisted his father in the conduct of his busi-
ness. Like his brother, he is identified with the Free
and Accepted Masons and the Patriotic Order of Sons
of America.

Mayme, Nettie and Carrie are graduates of the high
school at Weatherly, and the two first named also have
diplomas from the East Stroudsburg State Normal
School. They are now teachers in the public schools.

George Charles is at present a member of the middle
class of the Weatherly high school.

Mr. Warner and his family are members of the Re-
formed church.

Warner, Elmer, a prominent individual factor in
the business, industrial and financial affairs of Weath-
erly, was born at Tannersville, Monroe county, Pa.^
on April 30, 1861. The family of which he is a mem-



THE NEW TOP'
PUBLIC L!BRAi>



ASTO«, LENOX ANT
TILDEN FOUNDATION,.



HISTORY OP CARBON COUNTY. 603

ber has resided in eastern Pennsylvania since the early
days of the Republic. His grandfather, George War-
ner, was a veteran of the second war with England,
while his maternal lineage connects him with Burk-
hart Moser, a pioneer settler in the Panther Creek
Valley, and formerly the owner of much of the valuable
coal land now held by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation
Company. He is the son of Peter and Lavina (Sittler)
Warner, both of whom still reside at Tannersville.

After leaving school he assisted his father, who was
interested in various enterprises, for a time. Subse-
quently he opened a general store on his own account,
conducting the same for a period of about five years.
Coming to Weatherly in 1891, he purchased in bank-
ruptcy proceedings the store of David Kintz, soon com-
manding a liberal patronage. The expansion of the
business demanding more commodious quarters, Mr.
Warner built a large addition to his store in 1903, the



Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 42 of 44)