Fred (Frederick Charles) Brenckman.

History of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, online

. (page 43 of 44)
Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 43 of 44)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


completion and opening of which marked a new era in
the business life of the town. This establishment is
now the equal of many department stores in the minor
cities of the state. Its stock is complete and up-to-date,
while every effort is made to satisfy the wants of the
public a fair and reasonable prices.

Upon the removal of the shops of the Lehigh Valley
Railroad from Weatherly, in 1899, Mr. Warner was
one of the leaders of a small group of men who vir-
tually saved the town from being obliterated. With
characteristic enterprise and resourcefulness he lent
himself to the organization and establishment of the
Weatherly Foundry and Machine Company, which is
now the principal industry of the borough. He is the
chief individual stockholder and general manager of
this company. Mr. Warner was also one of the or-
ganizers of the First National Bank of Weatherly, of



604 HISTORY OP CARBON COUNTY.

which he has been the president since its beginning.
He was the postmaster of Tannersville from 1885 to
1889, and was the president of the board of education
of Weatherly when the Schwab school building was
erected, having also served as the chief burgess of the
borough.

Fraternally he is identified with the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks, and he is a member of the
Reformed church.

Mr. Warner has been thrice married. On September
22, 1887, he wedded Hattie, a daughter of David Learn.
Her ancestors lived in what is now Monroe county
during Colonial times, and they figured conspicuously
in the Indian affairs of that region. The name was
earlier spelled, "Learner.'' Two children were born
of this marriage, Floyd T., who is now in charge of
his father 's store, and Hattie L. The wife and mother
departed this life on April 12, 1890, and on May 2,
1892, Mr. Warner married Martha A. Kresge. Four
children, Stanley, Ruth, Grace and Jennie, were the
fruits of this union. Being again left a widower, Mr.
Warner, on November 29, 1906, was joined in wedlock
to Gertrude, daughter of Abraham and Delia Stull, of
Hazleton. Her father was formerly associated with
the firm of Dodge, Meigs and Dodge, early lumbermen
in the vicinity of Lehigh Tannery. Later he was in
the service of the Lehigh Valley Railroad at Hazleton.
Mrs. Warner is a descendant of Ira Mandeville, a pi-
oneer settler of the Wyoming Valley. The children of
this marriage are : Gertrude S., Elmer E., and George
S. C. Warner. Pauline M. died in infancy.

Wayne, Edgar F., formerly one of Hudsondale's
best known residents, but now located at Belief ontaine,
Ohio, was born at Conyngham, Luzerne county, Pa.,
on December 20, 1872. He is the son of William and



HISTOEY OF CARBON COUNTY. gQS

Mary (Keller) Wayne, one of his maternal ancestors,
John Faust, having been a pioneer settler of Packer
township.

When Edgar was about 13 years of age, the family
removed to Hudsondale, where he grew to maturity.
Having attended the district schools and the high
school at Weatherly, he learned the art of telegraphy,
and was successively stationed at various points on
the line of the Tide Water Pipe Company, which in-
augurated the present system of transporting petro-
leum from the oil fields to the sea board by means of
long distance pipe lines. Having mastered the prin-
ciples and details of this system of transportation he
was, in 1908, appointed to the superintendency of the
plant of this company at Bellefontaine, where he has
since lived.

He was married on January 6, 1897, to Irene, daugh-
ter of John Breish, of Mainville, Columbia county. Pa.
Their children are : Bessie May, born on May 6, 1900,
and Thomas Russell Wayne, whose birth occurred on
March 27, 1903.

Mr. Wayne is a member and past master of Cata-
wissa Lodge, No. 349, F. and A. M., and is a member
of Coudersport Chapter, No. 263, R. A. M., and Potter
Commandery, No. 69, K. T. He is connected with St.
Matthew's Reformed church of Packer township,
while his political allegiance has been given to the Re-
publican party.

Wayne, W. W., one of Packer township's best known
citizens, was born February 19, 1849, at Taylorsville,
Schuylkill county. His father was Thomas Wayne,
who worked to an advanced age at his trade as a mill-
wright and enjoyed the reputation of having no su-
perior in the calling to which he devoted his life. When
William, the subject of this sketch, was ten years of



QQQ HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

age, his family removed to Georgia; but at breaking
out of the Civil War they returned to the North, living
for a short period at Auburn, Schuylkill county. They
next took up their residence at Berneville, Berks coun-
ty, where Mr. Wayne received most of his schooling.
He took up the trade which his father followed, and in
1871 was married to Mary Keller, a daughter of David
and Catherine Keller, of Packer township. They lived
successively at Conyham and at Wapwallopen, in Lu-
zerne county, and at Selinsgrove, Snyder county, after
which they came to Packer township.

Mr. Wayne was for fourteen years with the firm of
Sprout, Waldron & Company, mill builders, of Muncy,
Pa. While in their employ he traveled over most of
the states of the Atlantic seaboard, superintending the
repair and construction of grist mills. He now oper-
ates the farm that was formerly owned by his father-
in-law, D. R. Keller. Mr. Wayne enjoys the distinction
of having served as a federal census enumerator on
three separate occasions. He is a member of the
Bloomsburg Masonic lodge and of the Methodist Epis-
copal church.

Mr. and Mrs. Wayne are the parents of four chil-
dren: Josephine, who is the wife of T. F. Petit, of
Dunellen, N. J.; Edgar, Katie, married to Edward
Lauderburn, of Weatherly, and Faust Wayne. Mr.
Wayne has been a supporter of the principles of the
Republican party since attaining his majority.

Weiss, John 0., conducting a hotel and store at Har-
rity, Franklin township, was born at Weissport on
February 24, 1857, the son of Edward and Henrietta
(Steckle) Weiss.

His great grandfather. Col. Jacob Weiss, was a vet-
eran of the Revolutionary War, the founder of Weiss-
port, and one of the principal organizers of the Lehigh



HISTORY OP CARBON COUNTY. QQJ

Coal Mine Company, the forerunner of the Lehigh Coal
and Navigation Company. He was one of the most in-
fluential of the early pioneers of the anthracite coal
trade.

John 0. Weiss began life as a laborer for the Lehigh
Coal and Navigation Company, in the boat yard at
Weissport. Subsequently he was appointed as assis-
tant collector for that company at Mauch Chunk, which
position he filled for twenty-five years. Later he was
the general storekeeper in the canal department of the
same corporation at Weissport. Resigning from the
service of the company in the fall of 1909, he purchased
the hotel and store at Harrity which he has since con-
ducted.

He was married on January 13, 1889, to Emma L.,
daughter of Edward Reber and his wife Mary, of
Franklin township. Most of their married life has
been spent at East Weissport. Julius E. R. and Merril
J. Weiss are their two children.

West, Samuel L., a director of the Middle Coal Field
Poor District, and holding the position of a general
foreman for the Reed and Lovatt Manufacturing Com-
pany, of Weatherly, was born at that place on January
15, 1871. His father, George West, a veteran of the
Civil War, and for years a locomotive engineer on the
Lehigh Valley Railroad, was born in Weatherly in
1846. His mother bore the name of Jane Brennan be-
fore her marriage, which occurred on January 25, 1866.

Samuel W^est attended the schools of his native town
until he became twelve years of age, when he entered
the furniture and undertaking establishment of E. F.
Warner, where he was employed in various capacities
until he reached his majority. For a short time he was
located at Altoona, Pa. Returning to Weatherly he en-
tered the employ of the company with which he is now



608 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

connected, and which he has served with increasing
responsibility from the start. This company operates
one of the largest silk throwing mills in the world.

Mr. West has taken an active interest in politics
since he became a voter, and has alwaj^s been a Repub-
lican. He was a member of the county committee of
that party for a number of years. In 1910 he was
elected to the office of director of the Middle Coal
Field Poor District by a large majority. He is a mem-
ber of the Sons of Veterans and of the Knights of
Pythias, while he has been the secretary of the
Weatherly Camp of the Patriotic Order of Sons of
America for fourteen years. He is connected with the
board of trade, and attends the Presbyterian church.

Mr. West was wedded to Emma C. Rose, of Weath-
erly, on April 23, 1891. Emerson C. West is their only
child.

Wilhelm, Captain William H., one of Carbon coun-
ty's most intrepid soldiers, who sacrificed his life to his
country during the insurrection in the Philippine Is-
lands, was born at Mauch Chunk, June 9, 1867, the son
of James H. and Martha M. (Weaver) Wilhelm. He
was descended from pioneer German and Huguenot
settlers in Pennsylvania. Among these were: Rev.
John Bechtel, one of the fathers of the Reformed
church in America, who located at Germantown, Phil-
adelphia, in 1726, and who is a prominent figure in the
ecclesiastical history and literature of that community ;
George Weaver, a private soldier of the provincial
forces in the Indian wars of 1756-57; and Cornelius
and Jacob Weygant, father and son, the former active
in the deliberations of the Northampton county Com-
mittee of Observation and Inspection, and of its Stand-
ing Committee of Correspondence, 1776-77, and the
latter a captain of militia of the same county, who was




Capt. William H. Wilhelm.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 609

frequently in active service during the Revolutionary-
War.

His father, J. H. Wilhelm, was for many years the
paymaster of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company,
and was one of its most popular officials. He is spend-
ing the evening of his life in retirement at his home in
Mauch Chunk.

William Herman Wilhelm acquired his early educa-
tion in the public schools of his native town, laying the
foundation for a course of higher study at Ulrich's
Preparatory School, Bethlehem, Pa. He entered Le-
high University and was a member of the class of 1883.
In June, 1884, he was, after a competitive examination,
appointed by Congressman Storm to a cadetship in the
United States Military Academy at West Point. Here
he ranked among the first in discipline, and in several
of his studies. After the first year, and to the end
of his course, he was an officer in the battalion of
cadets, chosen from those who have been most studious
and soldier-like in the performance of their duties, and
most exemplary in their general deportment. His
genial nature and noble personal attributes combined
to make him a general favorite among his classmates.
He was graduated in June, 1888, and was commis-
sioned second lieutenant in the Tenth Infantry, joining
ixis company at Fort Crawford, Colorado, in the fall
of that year. During the ten succeeding years he was
successively stationed at many of the army posts
throughout the West. For a time Captain Wilhelm was
in command of the troops sent to Oklahoma to main-
tain peace and order when that territory was thrown
open to settlement.

In 1890 he was placed in command of a company of
Indian scouts in the service of the government at Fort
Reno. A year later he was given charge of the govern-



610 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

ment schools for the Indians at Fort Lewis, Colorado,
where he remained for a short period. He was pro-
moted to the rank of first lieutenant in 1895.

Upon the breaking out of the war with Spain, being
eager to go to the front, he was appointed an aide-de-
camp to Brigadier General Snyder, United States Vol-
unteers, under whom he served with the army of occu-
pation in Cuba. Being appointed to a captaincy in
1899, he was ordered to the Philippines, where a stub-
born revolt against the authority of the United States
was in progress. Within a few days after his arrival
at Manila, he was already under fire, participating in
the hard fighting about the Zapote river. At the battle
of San Mateo, where General Lawton lost his life, Cap-
tain Wilhelm displayed conspicuous bravery, winning
a recommendation from his superior officers. Major
Parker and General Young, for the brevet of major.
For his cool and soldierly conduct in this engagement
he was also recommended for a medal of honor.

From July until November, 1900, he was in command
of a body of troops charged with the perilous duty of
preserving the peace in the most lawless district of
Manila, in which position he acquitted himself with
signal ability. On June 10, 1901, after two years of
strenuous campaigning in the islands, he was mortally
wounded at Lipa, Batangas Province, while engaging a
force of insurgents outnumbering his own five to one.
His death occurred two days later.

Governor General Taft, with the Civil Commission,
and a large number of officers and civilians, attended
the funeral services held in Manila. His untimely but
heroic death elicited many warm tributes to his worth
as a man and a soldier from those with whom he had
come in contact in the various grades of the service.



HISTOKY OF CARBON COUNTY. QH

On July 30th, the remains of Captain Wilhelm were
laid to rest with military honors at his home in Mauch
Chunk, all business being suspended in the town, while?
virtually the whole population joined in doing honor to
his memory.

A battery at Fort Flagler, Washington, now bears
his name, which is also perpetuated by a suitable me-
morial in the Hall of Fame at West Point.

Young, Dr. James H., a Lansford physician and sur-
geon, was born at Dunmore, Pa., on November 20, 1876.
He is the son of James and Lottie (Harrington)
Young, the former born in Scotland, and the latter a
native of New Jersey. The father was a mine super-
intendent at Dunmore, and at one time held the office
of treasurer of Lackawanna county.

James H. Young received his early education in the
School of the Lackawanna, a private institution at
Scranton. Later he attended Lafayette College.
Choosing the medical profession, he entered the Uni-
versity of Pennsylvania in 1897, being graduated with
the class of 1901.

After spending a year in his professional capacity
at the Moses Taylor Hospital at Scranton, he came to
Lansford, in 1903, as the assistant of Dr. E. H. Kistler.
During the following year he did post-graduate work
at the Polyclinic Hospital and at Wills Eye Hospital,
Philadelphia.

Returning to Lansford in 1905, he re-entered the
service of Dr. Kistler, to whose daughter, Mary, he was
married on October 9, 1907. A year later he succeeded
his father-in-law as the physician and surgeon of the
Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, which arduous
and responsible position he is now filling. The com-
pany's department for giving first aid to the injured is
under his direction. He is also the surgeon of the



Q12 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

Eastern Pennsylvania Bail ways Company at Lans-
ford.

Dr. Young is a specialist in diseases of the eye, ear,
nose and throat. He is a member of the Carbon County
Medical Society, the Pennsylvania State Medical Asso-
ciation, the American Medical Society, and the Medical
Club of Philadelphia. He is also a member of the
Masonic order.

Zern, Hon. Jacob Gilbert, is a native of Montgomery
county, Pennsylvania, but nearly the whole of his ma-
ture life has been spent in Carbon county, having long
since achieved prominence as a physician, and as a man
of public affairs.

He was born February 24, 1845, being a descendant,
in the fifth generation of Adam Zern, who emigrated
to Montgomery county from Germany in Colonial
times. His great-great-grandfather, Martin Sensen-
derfer, and his great-grandfather, Christian Specht,
were soldiers in the Kevolutionary War. His grand-
father, Abraham Zern, was a soldier in the war of
1812. His father, the Reverend Jacob Zern, was for a
quarter of a century a well-known minister of the
Evangelical Association in the eastern part of Penn-
sylvania. Dr. Zern's mother was Sophia Gilbert, also
a native of Montgomery county. His earlier years
were spent in farming pursuits, and he attended the
public schools of his locality until he became eighteen
years of age. He then became a student at Millersville
State Normal School, after which he served for a time
as a teacher in the schools of Lancaster county. At
the age of nineteen he enlisted as a soldier in Company
C, One Hundred and Ninety-fifth Regiment, Pennsyl-
vania Volunteers, serving until the termination of hos-
tilities.



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. Qi^

Immediately after the close of the war he began the
study of medicine in the office of Dr. S, B. Detwiler, of
Montgomery county, subsequently attending lectures
in the Medical Department of the University of Penn-
sylvania, graduating with the class of 1868. Soon
after his graduation Dr. Zern located at Weissport,
where he was successful in the practice of his profes-
sion from the start. He lived in Weissport for twenty-
three years, after which he removed to Lehighton. Dr.
Zern's popularity is attested by the number of times he
has been chosen to fill political office. He was elected
to represent Carbon county in the state legislature in
1878, and was re-elected in 1880.

During a part of Cleveland's first term he was post-
master of Weissport, Pa. In 1893 he was elected bur-
gess of Lehighton, and two years later he was the suc-
cessful nominee for the office of associate judge of
Carbon county. He was next delegated to represent
his district (comprising the counties of Carbon, Mon-
roe and Pike) in the state senate, being elected in
1902. He is a supporter of the Democratic party. Dr.
Zern has also taken an active part in business affairs,
and has been prominently identified with various enter-
prises in and about Lehighton. He is the oldest direc-
tor, in point of service, of the First National Bank of
Lehighton, of which he is also the vice-president. He
is the secretary of the Association of Lehigh Valley
Railroad Surgeons, and was the first president of the
Carbon County Medical Society. He is also a member
of the Pennsylvania Medical Society, and of the Amer-
ican Medical Society. Upon the completion of the
Panther Creek Valley Hospital, located at Coaldale,
he was appointed as one of its consulting physicians.

Dr. Zern is a past master of Lehighton Lodge, No.
621, Free and Accepted Masons, having the honor of



614 HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY.

being elected its master when the lodge was consti-
tuted, in 1900. He is also a past master of Carbon
Lodge, No. 242, F. & A. M., Mauch Chunk, and is a
past eminent commander of Packer Commandery, No.
23, of Mauch Chunk.

Dr. Zern was married to Ellen M. Edinger, a daugh-
ter of Hon. Abraham Edinger, of Monroe county, in
1870. Four children were born to them : May, Wilmer,
Harry and Katharine. The last named, who is the wife
of Dr. Homer Heberling, of Lehighton, alone survives.

Ziegenfuss, John A., a representative of one of Penn-
sylvania's oldest families, and a prominent churchman
and Democrat, conducts a carriage and wagon building
establishment at East Weissport, Franklin township.
The pioneer of his family in America was Andrew Zie-
genfuss, who was born near Strassburg, in the valley
of the Rhine, Germany, in the year 1692. He, with his
wife, Catherine, and children, sailed from Havre,
France, on board the ship Thistle, for Philadelphia,
where they landed on October 28, 1738. Leaving Phil-
adelphia, the family settled in what is now Spring-
field or Nackomixom township, Montgomery county,
September 16, 1751. Andrew Ziegenfuss died in the
year 1778, being aged eighty-six years.

One of his six children, Andrew, was born in 1747,
and, in March, 1773, was married to a Miss Richard,
of Bucks county. The eldest of their seven children
was George Ziegenfuss, who was born January 31,
1779, in Bucks county. On February 18, 1798, at the
age of 19, he was united in marriage at Easton, to Su-
sannah Nulf, a daughter of Captain Nulf, of Revolu-
tionary fame. He was a miller by trade, which occu-
pation was quite common among his descendants.

In the year 1800, he, with his brothers, Andrew and
John, crossed the Blue Ridge, and settled in the wil-



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. 615

derness, where the village of Aquashicola, Carbon
county, now is. He there built the first grist mill in all
that section of country. He was drafted for service
in the war of 1812, but having six small children to care
for, his brother John generously volunteered as his
substitute.

George Ziegenfuss died, having attained the age of
eighty-six, and leaving eleven children, on November
24, 1865. His wife followed him to the grave on Oc-
tober 23, 1866, at the advanced age of eighty-nine
years. One of the sons of this pair, Daniel, was killed
in the war with Mexico, while their daughter, Polly
(Fenstermacker), died at Mauch Chunk, January 20,
1906, at the age of ninety-nine.

George, the second son of George and Susannah
Ziegenfuss, was born April 9, 1803, being married to
Catherine Kerchner in the year 1830. They had seven
children: Cornelius, Thomas H., Isabella, Susannah,
Stephen, Mary A., and William E. Ziegenfuss. Only
two of these survive, Cornelius, living at White Haven,
while William is a physician at Detroit, Mich.

Stephen Ziegenfuss, the father of the subject of this
sketch, was born in Ross township, Monroe county,
August 27, 1842. On September 29, 1862, he enlisted
in Company A, Fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volun-
teer Calvary. He served with the Army of the Poto-
mac, and was with Grant in the campaign against Rich-
mond. He took part in thirty-one battles and skir-
mishes, and was honorably discharged on July 1, 1865,
as a corporal. Returning to civil life, Mr. Ziegenfuss
located at Gilberts, Monroe county, where he followed
the trade of a wheelwright and became a justice of the
peace.

He chose as his life companion Salina Heiney, of
Gilberts, Monroe county, with whom he had ten chil-



(316 HISTORY OF CABBON COUNTY.

dren, five of whom are yet living: Emma J., wife of
Lewis Smith, of Lehighton; Mary C, wife of Henry
Trainer, of Weissport ; John A., Thomas H., and Lydia
M., wife of William Walck, all of Franklin township.

Removing to Franklin township, Carbon county, in
1890, Stephen Ziegenfuss continued as a carriage and
wagon builder, filling various township offices. He
died August 31, 1910.

John A. Ziegenfuss was born July 25, 1882, at Gil-
berts, Monroe county. Coming to Carbon county with
the family of his father, he attended the public schools
until he reached the age of seventeen. Under the in-
struction of his father he had already mastered the
trade of a wheelwright at this time ; but he began life
as a bookkeeper in the Packerton office of the Lehigh
Valley Railroad Company. At the end of a year, how-
ever, he relinquished his duties there, and shortly
afterwards formed a partnership with his father, con-
ducting the wagon and carriage works at East Weiss-
port. In 1907 he acquired his father's interest in the
business through purchase, and has since been sole
owner of the enterprise.

Mr. Ziegenfuss was elected, as a candidate of the
Democratic party, to the office of county auditor in
1908. He is also a notary public, and is a justice of
the peace of Franklin township, to which office he was
elected in 1911. He was one of the organizers of the
Ziegenfuss Family Association of the United States,
and was chosen as its first president, being still so
serving. The association has a membership of about
500, most of whom live in Pennsylvania ; there are rep-
resentatives from many other sections of the Union,
however, and its meetings are held annually.

Fraternally Mr. Ziegenfuss is allied with the Sons of
Veterans, Junior Mechanics, Independent Americans,



HISTORY OF CARBON COUNTY. (317

Eoyal Arcanum and the Patriotic Order of Sons of
America. He has also been a member of Company B,
Eighth Regiment, National Guard of Pennsylvania, for
the past six years. He is the superintendent of the
Sunday school of St. Paul's Lutheran church of Weiss-
port, and is the president of the Upper Lehigh Valley
district of the Luther League of Pennsylvania, of
which he was the treasurer for five years. He is also a
member of the state executive board of this organiza-



Online LibraryFred (Frederick Charles) BrenckmanHistory of Carbon County, Pennsylvania; also containing a separate account of the several boroughs and townships in the county, → online text (page 43 of 44)