Frederic Alexander Sachse.

Mymensingh (Volume 1) online

. (page 15 of 18)
Online LibraryFrederic Alexander SachseMymensingh (Volume 1) → online text (page 15 of 18)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in 1877, a Raja in 1880, au.l a Maharaja in 1897 at the time
of the Diamond Jubilee. Surjya Kantu's adopted son Sasi
Kumar Acharjya is the son of Raja Jagat Kislior Acharjya.
He is the only memlier of tlip AhTpsingh family who has been
to England. He was made a Raja, Biiha. lur in l'J14. Riija
Jagat Kishor got his title in .1913.

Astagram — is the most densely poi)ulated portion oi"
Mymensingh, containing the homestea is of the cultiv.itors of



144 MYMENSINGH.

f

some eight or ten revenue survey villages. There are "Muham-
madau tdlukddrs of importance and any number of petty rent-
free proprietors. Some are held by the priests of the Kaibartas,
who form the majority of the fisherman class of the watery
area. Bangalpara, the steamer ghat, is 2 miles away, but the
Dhaleswari which runs past Astagram is the old channel of
the Meghna and is navigable by launches throughout the year.
Bangalpara is the centre of the pearl fishery, which has
attained some importance owing to recent lucky finds. There
is a tomb of Kutub and a mosque called aftar him. Embanked
roads to Dighipar and Bangalpara were made by local people
during the scarcity due to the floods of 1915.

Atia — This pargana does not appear in the Ain-i-Ak-hari.
Saiyid Khan Pani was the founder of the Karatia family,
and it was he who got this pargana as a jagir from the Emperor
Akbar. Up to Khoda Newaj Khan, the sixth in descent from
Saiyid Khan, the Pani family enjoyed the whole of the pargana.
The first division into equal parts came with the two sons of
Manim Khan, Khoda Newaz and Maldar Khan. In 1787 the
hara 8 annas was settled with Alap Khan, and the other
children of Khoda Newaj Khan, and the other 8 annas with
Aliar Khan, son of Maldar- Khan.

The property is now divided among many families. Only
2 annas 17 gandas of the pargana by inheritance now remains
in the hands of the Pani family, the rest of Tauzi No. 10.
which was Alap Khan's share, having been given to the Nawab
of Dacca in 1856 as a reward for helping Sadat Ali in a
civil suit against his step-mother who had dispossessed him
of his whole share. Only a certain number of villages,
including Gorai, where the family then lived, was left out of
the partition. Sadat Ali then moved to Karatia. Wazed Ali
Khan Pani alias Chand Miya now enjoys 5 annas 19 gandas
karas 2 krantis, and his cousins, who are under the Court of
Wards, 3 annas 3 karas 1 kranti as opposed to the Nawab's 7
annas, counting the original pargana share of 5 annas 1 ganda

1 kara 1 kranti as 16 annas.

The remainder of the Ba7'a Atani (2 annas 18 gandas 2 karas

2 krantis) was divided into Tauzis Nos. 11, 12, 16 and 5151 to
5153. I'ejali Chaudhuri of Dhanbari came in by marriage,
and his grandson the Nawab Saiyid Nawab Ali Chaudhuri has
added to this share by purchase. The Duajani Mazumdars and
Baliati Shaha Chaudhuries and the Nawab of I'ogra also came
in by purchase.

The chota 8 annas is divided into Tauzis Nos. 9 and 5031 to



GAZETTEER. 145

5035. The Nawab of Dacca bought the 4 annas share of Aliar's
two daughters, Tauzis Nos. 5031 and 5032, on the strength of
a mortgage bond for Rs. 40,000 in 1806. The remaining 4
annas belonged to Roshna Khatun. There are many co-sharers
in Tauzi No. 9, known as the PakuUa Cliaudhurierf, who are
chiefly the linear descendants of Aliar Khan. They include the
Ghaznavis brothers who now live at Dilduar. The remaining
1 anna 10 gandas share has been sold to the Lahiris of Kali-
pur, the Sen Chaudhuries of Gauhata and the same Shaha
Chaudhuries of Baliati, who possess a portion of Tauzi No. 12.

Bajitpur — is the only municipality in the east of the
district. It does not seem to have any natural advantages to
account for its population of 12,000 persons. It is 2 miles
from the Ghorautra river and has no water connection in the
cold weather. The roads from Dilalpur and Katiadi are both
unbridged. Huge stretches of swamp come close up to the
town on all sides, the most dreary and unpromising being that
on the north. Even inside the municipal limits communica-
tions are made difficalt by khdls, which are never free of
treacherous oozing mud. In the rains the Munsiff's Court and
dispensary can only be reached by boat. There is a very poor
Board bungalow facing a strip of hil on the south.

Bajitpur was famous in the old days for its muslin manu-
factures and the East India Company had a factory here :
details of the industry, which survives, will be found in
Chapter VIII.

Bhairab Bazar — Is finely situated on a commanding bank
of the Meghna just north of the point where the old Brahma-
putra flows into it. The railway bridge over this river has
just been opened, and the wagon ferry to Asuganj in the
Tippera district transferred from Daulatkandi to Bhairab.
Bhairab has long been one of the biggest jute and trade
centres in the district, and its importance will increase r ipidly
when the railway to Mymensingh and Netrakona is opened.
Unfortunately the high land available for extensiou is
limited.

Datta Bazar — Is an important and picturesque hat on the
southern bank of the Brahmaputra in Gafargaon thana. It is
said to be exceptionally healthy, and the river here is parti-
cularly deep and powerful. A road runs to Moshakhali station
6 miles distant. As there is no ferry over the river it crosses
5 miles from the station, the road from Gafargaon is more
convenient. The place is notorious for thieves.



146 MYMKNSINGH.

*

Dowanganj — is thus described by Buchanan Hamilton.
" It may contain 100 houses and for Bengal is a neat well builf
place. It has in the centre an open area where the marke^
is held. The area is generally planted with elegant trees ot
the fig kind." It does not seem to have developed much and
Bakshiganj is now a serious rival. There is another busy Jidt
of the same name on the Brahmaputra opposite Gafargaon.

Dilduar — About 7 miles south-east of Tangail, has a fine
site and some not unimposing buildings. It is the home of
Mr. A. K. Ghaznavi, a M?mber of the Viceroy's Legislative
Council since 1909, and of Maulvi Saiyid Ahmed Hossein
Chaudhuri. There is a mosque supported from j^'Wi// property,
a dispensary, and a Middle English School.

Dur^apur — Has some historical interest as the home of the
Sasung Raj. It is pleasantly situated on the northern bank of
the Someswari river. The bed of this river is wide and sandy,
and there is not sufficient water for a proper ferry boat in the
cold weather. Wading without a guide is dangerous, as in
some places quick sands occur. There is a dispensary, District
Board bungalow, and thana.

ElclShin — On the Dhaleswari, south of Tangail, is an im-
portant jute centre, where there are usually some Europeans
in residence. There is a steamer connection which runs most
of the year between Dacca and Dhaleswari junction.

Gafargaon — is important for its monthly hclt, where many
cattle and horses change hands.

Gog-Bazar — is the port of Kendua, which in itself is only
important Cor its thana, school, dispensary and bungalow.

Gopalpur — The headquarters of this thana, being half-way
between Tangail and Jaraalpur, has been suggested as the head-
quarters of the new western district, but there is very little
high land in the neighbourhood, and, unless a new railway
passes quite close, the communications are very bad.

Hiluchia — Is an important jute centre. The bazar on a
high mound is protected from the inroads of a khdl by some
solid brick embutments. It is the market for many prosper-
ous villages in this part of Bajitpur.

HOSenpur — Was the headquarters of the Khaje Kaprael
tdiuk, which comprises a large portion of Hosenshahi pargana.
There are some old ruins in the bazar and it is now an import-
ant jute centre.

Hosenshahi Pargana.— Originally part of the Nator Raj
this pargana was purchased at a sale for arrears of revenue by



GAZETTEER. 147

■)

a Mr. Aratoon in 1790. Two daughters anl relations called
Holme and Stevens each succeeded to four-anna shares in 1822.
All the shares were gradually sold to the Chakrabarty family
of Lawyers in Gangatia or settle(l in j/atni with the indigo
planters, Wise, Carnegie and Kalauos. In I85H Babu Sambhu
Chandra Ray purchased the whole share of Agina Aratoon,
and his son Mohim Kay, who settled at Atharabari, bought
more and more shares with the result that his widow Gyauada
Sundari now controls 8 annas 18 gandas 1 kara and 1 kranti
of the Pargana in zamindari right and 3 annas 15 gandas in
patni. With the 1 anna 6 gandas 2 karas 2 kranti share bought
by Gyanada Sundari herself, this gives Atharabari 14 annas as
opposed to the two annas of Babu Atul Chandra Chakrabarty
of Gangatia and other petty co-sharers.

Itna — Is tlie home of the Dewans, who are connected with
the ancient Muhammadan family who used to possess the
rich Joanshahi pargana. From very ancient times until the
passenger steamer service up and down (he Dhanu ceased, it
was a place of some importance. The ni'ith is finely situated
and there are several old tombs and a mosque.

Jagannath^anj — is a steamer station and the terminus of
the original E istern Bengal State Railway through tlie .district.
The ilat used to have a refreshment room, but this was discon-
tinued when the Railway ferry between Teesta Mukh and
Bahadurabad was opened. Passengers to Tangail and Serajganj
must therefore make their own catering arrangements. The
permanent gr/ia^ is only 2 miles froin Sarisabari, but in the
cold weather it is sometimes 5 or 6 miles south.

Jamalpur — is the headquarters town of the Jamalpur sub-
division an


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15 17 18

Online LibraryFrederic Alexander SachseMymensingh (Volume 1) → online text (page 15 of 18)