South La Salle Street, Chicago.
SHELLEY B. NELTNOR, a representative member of the Illinois
bar, commenced his professional career in Chicago fifteen years ago,
and both as a lawyer and a citizen has earned a substantial and hon-
orable reputation. He was born at West Chicago, Illinois, Septem-
ber 18, 1873, and is a son of John C. and Mary Eames (Kinney)
Neltnor, his father having been a police magistrate of West Chicago
for a number of years. On his mother's side he belongs to an old
Colonial family which settled in one of the first Connecticut colonies,
and several members of the family, notably Capt. Eli Butler and
Lieut. John Eames, were officers in the Revolution.
Shelley B. Neltnor was granted excellent educational advan-
tages during his youth, and entered his profession admirably pre-
pared in every way for a successful career. After graduating from
the West Chicago High School, he attended Elgin Academy and
Wheaton College, and then took up the study of his vocation in
Chicago Kent College of Law, where he was graduated with his
bachelor's degree in 1899. Subsequently he received the degree of
LL. M. from the Illinois College of Law, graduated from the law
department of De Pauw University in 1899, and in 1912 received
the degree of LL. D. from Oskaloosa (Iowa) College. Mr. Neltnor
was admitted to the Illinois bar in 1899 and in that same year en-
tered upon his professional career in Chicago, where he has since
continued his labors with much success. For five years he was a
member of the law firm of Tinsman, Rankin & Neltnor, but at this
time is practicing independently, with offices at No. 802 Straus
Building. His practice is general in character, and he has appeared
in many of the most important cases passed upon by the state
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 541
and federal courts of Illinois, always with marked results as to
honorable success. Mr. Neltnor is a member of the Chicago Bar
Association, and has always been a close student of his profession.
He is widely known as an educator in the legal. field, being president
of Hamilton College of Law, and was professor of contracts in the
Illinois College of Law for ten years, from 1899 to 1909.
Mr. Neltnor is a member -of the Chicago Press Club, and an
ex-member of the Germarria Club and the Wheaton Golf Club. He
holds membership also in the Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity and
the Modern Woodmen of America. In political matters he is a
democrat, but has not taken a particularly active part in political
affairs, although he has given his aid to movements making for
civic betterment and reform. Mr. Neltnor finds his recreation in
travel, of which he is very fond, and is the possessor of a large
and valuable collection of antiques, gathered in the various coun-
tries which he has visited. He is unmarried.
W. TUDOR APMADOC. Besides his progressive career in the
law at Chicago since 1896, W. Tudor ApMadoc has become known
over the state through his valuable service in the Legislature.
While now in individual practice, he was for several years a mem-
ber of the firm of Peckham, Packard, ApMadoc & Walsh.
William Tudor ApMadoc was born in the City of Utica, New
York, on the 2Oth of September, 1873, and is a son of William and
Elizabeth (Jones) ApMadoc. His parents live in Chicago, where
his father is a teacher of music in the city high schools. In his
native city Mr. ApMadoc was afforded the advantages of the
public schools, and after the family removal to Chicago completed
a special course in Armour Institute. Entering the law department
of the University of Michigan he was graduated, Bachelor of Laws,
in the class of 1896. In the same year the Supreme Court of Illi-
nois admitted him to practice in the state, and he has in the course
of his legal practice brought numerous cases before this tribunal,
as well as before the various federal courts of Illinois. Mr.
ApMadoc is a capable trial lawyer and well fortified counselor,
and has been identified with much important litigation in the vari-
ous courts of Chicago. He is a member of the Chicago, Illinois
State and American Bar associations. His service in the State
Legislature covered a period of six years. In that time he served
on various important house committees, and among the various
measures championed and introduced by him was the bill that re-
sulted in the enactment of the present statute creating a State Com-
mission on Uniform Laws, this bill having been drafted by him.
He redrafted and secured passage of Adult Probation Measure
and the Crimes Against Children Statute. He was also chairman of
the insurance commission of the Legislature, and he was regarded
as one of the ablest members of the Chicago delegation in the Illi-
nois House of Representatives. The welfare of his home city is
542 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
with him always a matter of vital concern. He is a member of
the University Club, the South Shore Country Club and the Ham-
ilton Club, and in the Masonic fraternity he is past master of Land-
mark Lodge. His politics are those of a republican, and with his
family he has membership in the Presbyterian Church.
Mr. ApMadoc was married on September 26, 1909, to Miss Nelle
Gill, of Chicago, and their home is at 5009 Grand Boulevard. His
offices are in the First National Bank Building.
JOHN LONG FOGLE, attorney for the Chicago Bar Association
during the past ten years, both by reason of that position and his
general ability displayed in his practice, is one of the best-known
members of the Chicago bar.
Born at Terra Alta, Preston County, West Virginia, February
22, 1875, he is a son of Robert Bruce and Emeline (Long) Fogle,
both natives of that state. The father in young manhood adopted
the vocation of school teacher, and as such he came to Illinois.
He was engaged in that work in Galena at the outbreak of the
Civil war, when he enlisted in Company C, Forty-fifth Regiment,
Illinois Volunteer Infantry, known as the Washburn Lead Mine
Regiment. The regiment joined General Grant's forces at Cairo
and with that army participated in the battles of Fort Donelson
and Pittsburg Landing. While guarding a railroad bridge in
Tennessee his company was captured but soon released, and Mr.
Fogle shortly thereafter, in 1862, was honorably discharged be-
cause of disability. Returning to his native state he passed the
remainder of his life there, several years of that time as sheriff
of Monongalia County, and afterwards as a druggist at Terra
Alta in Preston County.
The foundation for John Long Fogle's education was laid in
the public schools of West Virginia, and this was followed by
attendance in the University of West Virginia and Georgetown Uni-
versity, where he earned his Bachelors and Masters law degrees
and was graduated in 1896. Following this two years were passed
in the United States Government printing office at Washington,
D. C., and Mr. Fogle then came to Illinois and was admitted to the
bar in 1898. His law experience began in the office of Dent &
Whitman, and Mr. Fogle later formed a partnership with Thomas
J. Holmes, under the firm name of Holmes & Fogle, this associa-
tion continuing until 1904. In that year Mr. Fogle was appointed
attorney for the Chicago Bar Association, in which capacity he
has continued to act to the present time. Mr. Fogle's private prac-
tice has been general and of an important character. His profes-
sional associations are with the Law Club, the Chicago Bar Asso-
ciation, the Illinois State Bar Association, and the American Bar
Association and his social memberships are with the Hamilton,
Colonial and Calumet Country clubs. He is a Mason and is a
member of Kenwood Lodge, A. F. & A. M.
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 543
Mr. Fogle comes of Colonial stock, his great-grandfather, John
Dent, having been captain of a Virginia company, while his great-
grandmother, Margaret Evans Dent, was the only child of John
Evans, colonel of a regiment of Virginia volunteers during the
In June, 1897, Mr. Fogle was married to Miss Nellie Carskadon,
of Keyser, West Virginia, and eight children have been born to
them. They are named Kenneth, Robert Bruce, Helen, John Dent,
Dorothy, Mildred, Marjorie and William H. The family residence
is at No. 4349 Forestville Avenue, and Mr. Fogle has his offices in
the Fort Dearborn Building.
EGBERT ROBERTSON. One of the youngest members of the Chi-
cago bar, Egbert Robertson is a lawyer whose experience and par-
ticular talents have led him into the specialty of trial practice,
where he has had conspicuous success in important cases. In the
field of office work he has become recognized as an expert on issues
of bonds and corporate securities, and in corporation matters
Mr. Robertson was born at Cairo, Illinois, December 8, 1881,
and is the son of Alexander S. and Lucretia (Walbridge) Robert-
son, who removed to Chicago in 1882. He was educated in the
grammar and high schools of Chicago, was graduated from the
Lewis Institute of that city in 1900, and then entered the Uni-
versity of Chicago, where he received the degree of Bachelor of
Arts in 1902. In preparation for his profession Mr. Robertson at-
tended the law school of Lake Forest University, graduating in
1905, with the degree of LL. B. While in law school he was
awarded the Thomas A. Moran prize for scholarship, and was also
given honorable mention for work in the practice court.
In 1905, soon after his graduation from Lake Forest, he was
admitted to the bar, and for a year continued his apprenticeship
in the legal department of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad
Company. After that he was associated with the law firm of
Pringle, Northup & Terwilliger and remained with them until
1908. In that year he became a trial lawyer with the firm of
Felsenthal, Foreman & Beckwith, and was later admitted to a part-
nership. In 1911 was formed the present firm of Foreman, Levin
& Robertson, consisting of Milton J. Foreman, Jacob Levin, Mr.
Robertson and David Blummrosen.
Mr. Robertson served as secretary of the Civil Service Reform
Association in 1907-08-09. Politically he was a republican until the
formation of the progressive party, which he joined in 1912, and
in 1914 he was one of the progressive candidates for the office of
judge of the Municipal Court. He is a member of the Chicago
Bar Association, the Hamilton Club, the Progressive Club, the
Kenwood Country Club, the Lincoln Park Yacht Club and the
Palette & Chisel Club and of the college fraternity of Phi Gamma
544 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
Delta and the law fraternity of Phi Delta Phi. He has served
four years in the First Cavalry Illinois National Guard.
Mr. Robertson was married October 21, 1912, to Miss Mar-
guerite C. Henneberry of Chicago. They reside at 907 Ainslie
TAYLOR EVERETT BROWN. In the field of patent law there is
probably no Illinois attorney whose activities have connected him
with a more extensive practice and whose unquestioned ability
gives him higher rank in that specialty than Col. Taylor E. Brown,
who began his professional career at Chicago thirty-five years ago.
Taylor Everett Brown was born in St. Louis, Missouri, Janu-
ary 22, 1860, a son of Capt. Henry Stuart and Emma Jane (Taylor)
Brown. Until seventeen years of age he attended the grammar
and high schools of St. Louis, then learned the trade of pattern
maker at the Vulcan Iron Works in St. Louis. Employment at
his trade until 1880 and work as patent office draftsman and
designer of machinery for several years laid a technical and prac-
tical experience which proved of the greatest value as a foundation
to the professional career upon which he was about to enter.
Colonel Brown attended, for a time, the Union College of Law
at Chicago. In March, 1884, he was admitted to the bar by the
Supreme Court of Illinois. Later he was admitted to practice in
various District and Circuit courts of the United States, and to
the Supreme Court of the United States in 1893. From 1887
until a few years ago he was a member of the firm of Poole &
Brown, patent lawyers and solicitors of United States and for-
eign letters patent, giving almost his entire attention to patent and
trade work litigation in the various Federal courts. His services
have been retained in many important cases. In March, 1912, he
organized the law firm of Brown & Mehlhope, under which style
he is now practicing his specialty of patent and trade work law.
Colonel Brown has a notable military record and has been
prominent in the National Guard of both Missouri and Illinois,
serving in Missouri from 1887 to 1880 and in Illinois from 1881
to 1914. In the Illinois National Guard he rose through all the
grades from private to colonel. On February 24, 1908, he was
appointed inspector general of the Illinois National Guard with
the rank of lieutenant colonel, and in May, 1910, was appointed
chief ordnance officer of the Division. Illinois National Guard. On
December 31, 1913, at his own request, he was placed on the retired
list with the rank of colonel.
During the war with Spain in 1898 he served as a captain in
the First Illinois Volunteer Infantry and in the Provisional Bat-
talion of Engineers, and saw service in Cuba and Porto Rico.
He was the first officer of the United States army to land in
Porto Rico (Guanica, July 26, 1898), and was recommended for
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 545
brevet rank of Major of United States Volunteers "for gallantry
in action" by General Miles.
Colonel Brown is a member of the Military Order of Foreign
Wars of the United States ; has served as commander of the Illinois
Commandery of the Naval and Military Order of Spanish-Amer-
ican war, and also commander-in-chief of the national com-
mandery of that order. He is a past president of the Veteran
Corps, First Infantry, Illinois National Guard.
Mr. Brown is a prominent member in St. Paul's Protestant
Episcopal Church, a member of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew,
and has been president of the National Conference of Church
Clubs. He is a member of the Chicago Athletic, the Union League,
the South Shore Country and Church clubs of Chicago; of the
Army and Navy clubs in New York and Washington. January 30,
1888, he married Fannie Garrison Dayton, who died December 28,
1901. Their children were: Melville S. ; Taylor G., deceased;
Charles Everett; Jessie Imogen; Dayton Reginald; and Fannie
Susan. On November 3, 1904, Mr. Brown married Jessie May
Catlin of Ripon, Wisconsin. His office is in Chicago.
JOHN ROGERS MORELAND. A prominent firm of lawyers at
Galesburg is that of Moreland & Moreland, brothers, the senior
member being John R. Moreland, whose entire professional career
has been connected with important people and interests in Knox
County. He is of Scotch and Irish ancestry, a sturdy combination,
and his forefathers many years ago settled in Pennsylvania, and
the name is not unknown there at the present day.
Prior to the Revolutionary War, his great-great-grandfather,
Alexander Moreland, emigrated from Adams County and settled in
that part of Westmoreland now Fayette County, Pennsylvania,
locating on a farm of 300 acres, below Broadford on the
Youghiogheny River, about two miles below where Connellsville now
stands, where he built a home and improved the land and resided
until his death in 1793 or 1794.
He was survived by four children, David, William, Isaiah, and
Nancy. Of these William was Mr. Moreland's great-grandfather
who also settled in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, in 1771 on a farm
adjoining his father's. He was a soldier in the Continental 'Line of
Pennsylvania, according to Penn. Archives, Vol. VI,_ page 325, and
was in a campaign against the Indians after the burning of Hannas-
town by the Indians in July, 1782, besides other services. On Jan-
uary 17, 1777, he married Agnes Huston who was a daughter of
Joseph Huston, also a soldier in the Revolutionary War, who served
in Crawford's Sandusky expedition in 1782 and other campaigns.
The children of William and Agnes (Huston) Moreland were
Margera, Jane, Sarah, Agnes, Mary, Alexander, William, Joseph
Huston, Margaret, John and David. He died April 24, 1830, and
his wife died May 9, 1828.
546 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
Of these John was Mr. Moreland's grandfather and he was born
July 4, 1800. On December 8, 1831, he married Priscilla Rogers,
a daughter of William and Nancy Rogers also residents of the same
locality. John Moreland was one of the pioneer coke manufacturers
of that county, being among the first in the Connellsville coke region
to manufacture coke and boat it to Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. The
children of John and Priscilla Moreland were William Rogers, Ann
Maria, Mary Agness, Thomas Rogers, Joseph, Daniel Rogers,
Rebecca Stewart, Sarah Halliday, John Huston and Elizabeth
Rogers. He died July 26, 1866, and his wife died in 1875. Of these
William was Mr. Moreland's father.
John Rogers Moreland was born September. 6, 1869, near La-
fayette in Stark County, Illinois, and is a son of William Rogers
and Anna E. (Hill) Moreland, the latter of whom resides at Gales-
burg, Illinois. His mother was a daughter of Col. Alexander M.
Hill of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, who was prominently identi-
fied with the coking industry of that locality and represented his
district in the general assembly of that state for a number of years.
She was educated at Blairsville Seminary at Blairsville, Penn-
Both parents were born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, where
they were married September 23, 1867, just before moving to Illinois.
The father, who is now deceased and who was born March n, 1834,
was a scholarly man and adopted teaching as his vocation. He was
educated at Laurel Hill Academy in Pennsylvania and also at Jeffer-
son College at Canonsberg, Pennsylvania, which was later con-
solidated with Washington College. He taught school in different
parts of the country, having charge of the public schools at Lafayette,
Illinois, in 1857 and 1858, and when the Civil War broke out, hap-
pened to be so engaged in a southern state. Complications arose
which prevented his returning to the North and also made necessary
his serving in the Confederate Army, connected with the hospital
After the war he returned to Illinois and engaged -in farming
in which pursuit he was successful, retiring in 1893 and moving to
Galesburg where he resided until his death on June 4, 1909. Of his
three children, John R. was the second born. The others being Rosa
Bell and Armor. Until he was fifteen years of age, John R. More-
land enjoyed the educational advantages offered by the district
schools, and after that attended the public schools of Galva for four
years. In the fall of 1889 he matriculated in Knox College and was
there graduated in 1894, with his degree of B. S., later receiving his
A. B. degree. While in college he was a member of the Gnothautii
Literary Society and held the office of treasurer in it. He was con-
sidered an authority on parliamentary law by the members of his
society. He was also a member of the college military organization
and attained the rank of ranking first lieutenant and was commis-
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 547
sioned brevet first liteutenant in the Illinois State Militia by the
governor of the state.
In 1894 he began reading law in the office of J. J. Tunnicliff,
who was an admirable instructor and for years one of the leading
attorneys of the county. After two years under his teaching, Mr.
Moreland went to Springfield, passed his examination and in the
fall of 1896 was admitted to the bar, after which he remained in
the office of Mr. Tunnicliff as assistant for one year. In 1897 he
formed a partnership with his brother, Armor Moreland, under the
present style, and this firm collectively and individually, has won
prominent and substantial standing in Knox County, representing
legal ability, fidelity to clients and the upholding of the honorable
ethics of the profession. Such a reputation invites public confidence
and much important business is placed in the hands of this firm.
The members of his profession have shown their confidence in him
by electing him vice-president of the Knox County Bar Association,
of which he is a member and which position he held with credit.
He is also a member of the Illinois State Bar Association and the
Illinois State Historical Society.
Mr. Moreland was united in marriage on November 18, 1912, to
Miss Caroline Henshaw, who was born at Uniontown, Pennsylvania,
and they have two daughters, Dorcas Rosanna, who was born
December 25, 1913, and Caroline Priscilla, who was born January
26, 1916. Mrs. Moreland is a daughter of William and Dorcas
(Hazen) Henshaw of Uniontown, Pennsylvania, and graduated
from the high school there and also from the college at California,
Pennsylvania. She comes of Revolutionary stock and belongs to
the Daughters of the American Revolution. She is also a member
of the Tuscarora Club and the Federation of Woman's Clubs.
Mr. Moreland has a wide circle of loyal friends and many well
wishing acquaintances both inside and outside his profession. In
politics he is a republican and has always been interested in good
government and conscientious citizenship, although he has never
sought an office. Mr. and Mrs. Moreland attend the Presbyterian
Church, of which they are both members.
ARMOR MORELAND. The Knox County bar has no abler member
than Armor Moreland, the junior member of the widely known law
firm of Moreland & Moreland, at Galesburg, who, not only is an
attorney of merited distinction, but is also prominent in city, county
and state politics and also finds time to interest himself in civic
progress and social and fraternal activities. He leads a busy life,
one of usefulness and creditable endeavor and has built up a
reputation, professionally and otherwise, that entitles him to be
numbered with the leading men of this section.
Armor Moreland was born near Galva in Henry County, Illinois,
April 24, 1873, and is a son of William R. and Annie E. (Hill)
Moreland, the latter surviving and residing at Galesburg. William
548 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
R. Moreland and wife were both born in Fayette County, Penn-
sylvania. He was an educator and when the Civil War broke out
was engaged in teaching school in a southern state and on account
of this environment, entered the Confederate army and was assigned
to the hospital service with which he was identified until the close
of hostilities. He was born March n, 1834, and his death occurred
at Galesburg, Illinois, June 4, 1909.
Mr. Moreland is of Scotch-Irish descent. His great-great-grand-
father, Alexander Moreland, prior to the Revolutionary War
emigrated from Adams County, Pennsylvania, and settled in Fayette
County, Pennsylvania, and near Broadford on the Youghiogheny
River. Taking up a farm from the Government, he improved it
and lived there until the time of his death in 1793 or 1794. Mr.
Moreland's great-grandfather, William Moreland, also settled in
Fayette County, Pennsylvania, in 1771 on a farm in the vicinity of
his father's farm. It was while he was living in Fayette County,
Pennsylvania, that he was a soldier in the "Continental Line of
Pennsylvania" and was in the campaign against the Indians, after
the burning of Hannastown in 1782. His wife was Agnes Huston
who was a daughter of Joseph Huston, a Revolutionary soldier
who served in Crawford's Sandusky expedition in 1782.
Mr. Moreland's grandfather was John Moreland who also
resided in the same vicinity as his father. He was a farmer and
.pioneer coke maker of Western Pennsylvania. He together with
Col. Alexander M. Hill were among the first to make commercial
coke in the now famous Connellsville coke region.
Mr. Moreland's mother was a daughter of Col. Alexander M.
Hill just referred to. He was prominent in manufacturing and
politics in Western Pennsylvania and represented his district in the
General Assembly of that state for a number of years.
In the district schools of Lynn Township, Armor Moreland
received instructions until fourteen years of age, then became a
student at Galva and was graduated in 1891 from the Galva High
School and in the fall of the same year came to Galesburg and
entered Knox College, from which he was graduated in 1895 with
his B. S. degree, and later received the degree of A. B. from the
same institution. While in college he took a prominent part in the
Gnothautii Literary Society and attained marked distinction as a