Frederic B Crossley.

Courts and lawyers of Illinois (Volume v.2) online

. (page 25 of 50)
Online LibraryFrederic B CrossleyCourts and lawyers of Illinois (Volume v.2) → online text (page 25 of 50)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


tary Academy at Delafield, Wisconsin, subsequently was in the
Armour Institute of Technology, and in 1907 graduated LL. B. from
the Northwestern University Law School. He was admitted to the
Illinois bar in June, 1907, and in November of the same year began
practice alone, and so continued for two years. Then the present
firm of Rathje & Wesemann was organized, the junior member being
Adolph H. Wesemann, and they now have two junior associates.
The firm looks after a large general practice.

Mr. Rathje's special forte in law and business has been real
estate and finance. He now represents several banks of Chicago
and vicinity and several other corporations. For some time he was
connected with the Chicago Title & Trust Company, and has given
much of his professional attention to real estate law. During the
first four years of his practice he organized four different banks in
Chicago and vicinity, and all of them are in a prosperous condition.

Mr. Rathje is a member of the Chicago Bar Association, the
Hamilton Club, the Chicago Automobile Club, and in Masonry is
a member of Englewood Lodge No. 690, A. F. & A. M., Englewood
Chapter No. 176, R. A. M., and Siloam Commandery of the Knights
Templar at Oak Park. He resides in Englewood.

JUDGE CONRAD G. GUMBART has practiced law at Macomb
for nearly twenty years. For a time he was associated with the
present United States senator, Lawrence Sherman, and for a
number of years has stood in the front rank of McDonough County
attorneys, and for the past four years he has filled the office of
judge of the County Court.

Conrad G. Gumbart was born in Macomb, Illinois, November 5,
1872, the same day on which U. S. Grant was elected for his second
term as President, and this fact suggests the reason for the second
initial in Judge Gumbart's name. His parents were George C. and
Esther F. (Feilbaugh) Gumbart. His father, who was born in
the country along the River Rhine in Germany, came to the United
States in 1855, settled at St. Louis, and in 1864 came to Macomb,
where he was active in business affairs until his death. His widow,
who is still living in Macomb, was also of German ancestry, but
long resident in America. Some of her ancestors came from Mo-
ravia, and her great-great-grandfather, Rev. Johannes Herr, was



COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 633

one of the first ministers to preach in Pennsylvania. Judge Gum-
bart was the youngest of six children, only three of whom are now
living.

His early education was acquired in the Macomb public schools,
graduating from the high school in 1891, after which he spent two
years reading law with the firm of Sherman & Tunnicliff. In the
fall of 1893 Judge Gumbart entered the law department of the
Northwestern University of Chicago, and was graduated LL. B. in
June, 1895, and admitted to the bar at Chicago in the same month.
Returning to Macomb he conducted an individual practice and made
a reputation as a rising attorney for four years, and then joined the
law partnership of Sherman & Tunnicliff, with whom he had first
read law. After Senator Sherman retired from the firm owing to
the responsibilities of his political career, the firm became Tunnicliff
& Gumbart, and continued until December, 1910. At that time
Judge Gumbart was elected and began his duties as judge of the
County Court. From 1900 to 1904 he also served as city attorney of
Macomb. In December, 1914, Judge Gumbart retired from the
bench and again became associated with Mr. Tunnicliff, the firm
name being Tunnicliff, Gumbart & Grigsby. In politics Judge
Gumbart is a republican.

October 12, 1905, occurred his marriage to Nellie E. Willis,
daughter of James and Emma Willis. Her father was an active
business man of Macomb, but died when Mrs. Gumbart was a child,
while his widow is still living in Macomb. Judge Gumbart and wife
have one son : James C., born September 28, 1908.

JOHN C. LAWYER. Among the younger generation of profes-
sional men at Macomb, who, through ability and enterprise have
advanced to the front rank, may be mentioned John C. Lawyer,
who has won public recognition as an attorney and is the junior
member of the law firm of Flack & Lawyer, with offices on the
west side of the Public Square, at Macomb. Mr. Lawyer was born
at Tennessee, in McDonough County, Illinois, June 28, 1884, and
is a son of Amos M. and Carrie (Farrenkopf) Lawyer, the former
of whom was born also in the Village of Tennessee, and the latter
at Colchester, McDonough County. There were five children in
the family, John C. being the eldest born. Four survive and a sec-
ond son, Joseph D., is following his older brother's example by pre-
paring for the bar. Amos M. Lawyer, the father, is a prominent
factor in democratic politics in his section of the county and has
served as supervisor, assessor and highway commissioner. The
Lawyer family originated in Holland and probably settled first after
emigrating, in Virginia, and then spread to other states. On the
maternal side the family may be traced to Germany and its early
American settlers to Illinois. Mr. Lawyer's ancestors were quiet,
peaceful people, mainly agriculturists, hence he claims no glorious
war record for them, and is well satisfied for, in America, in these



634 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS

modern days, the fruits of peace are more dearly prized than the
greatest triumphs of war.

John C. Lawyer attended the district schools near his home
through boyhood days, afterward entering the Tennessee High
School from which he was graduated in 1903. For about a year
afterward he assisted his father on the home farm and also taught
school, making up his mind during this time as to his future career,
his decision resulting in his entering the law department of the Uni-
versity of Illinois, in September, 1904, and his more than creditable
graduation in 1907, for he was the valedictorian of his class. In
October of the same year, at Chicago, he was admitted to the bar
and then came to Macomb. Here, for sixteen months he worked in
the law office of Charles W. Flack, and in January, 1909, became
Mr. Flack's partner, the firm style of Flack & Lawyer having pre-
vailed ever since. It is a well balanced firm and successfully handles
a large amount of law business. Reared to believe in and revere
the principles of democracy, Mr. Lawyer has given hearty support
to the democratic party, by which, at times, he has been tendered
political preferment. In 1908 he received the democratic nomina-
tion for state's attorney of McDonough County and at the election
made a fine showing, but in that year the entire democratic ticket
was defeated. This caused no loss of interest in good citizenship,
however, for he has always been very willing to lend his influence
to promote public movements in both city and county of which his
judgment approves, and, like other members of his profession, re-
sponds freely to the call of charity. In Junl, 1915, he was the choice
of his party, and as the nominee for circuit judge of the Ninth Ju-
dicial Circuit, but again the entire democratic ticket was defeated,
although Mr. Lawyer ran far ahead in his county. He is a member
of the State Bar Association.

Mr. Lawyer was married June 14, 1911, to Miss Bess Dague,
who is a daughter of Nathaniel H. Dague, who is secretary of the
Danville Ice Company, of Danville, Illinois. They have one child,
Ruth, who was born July 14, 1913. Mrs. Lawyer is a lady of
superior educational attainments, a graduate of the Danville High
School and a student formerly of the University of Illinois and the
Macomb Normal School. The handsome family residence is at
No. 624 South Randolph Street, Macomb. Mr. Lawyer is a mem-
ber of the Lincoln Centennial Association but belongs to no clubs
nor secret societies, being satisfied with the interest created by the
problems his profession brings to him and by the comfort and com-
panionship he finds at his own fireside.

ANDREW LESLIE HAINLINE. Perhaps no law firm in Mc-
Donough County does more business or handles more important
interests than that of Elting & Hainline, of Macomb, and as the
junior member of this firm, Andrew Leslie Hainline justifies his
connection although one of the younger members of the Macomb



COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 635

bar. He bears a family name that has been conspicuous in McDon-
ough County for many years, its activities identifying it with com-
mercial development and with public affairs.

Andrew Leslie Hainline was born at Macomb, December 28,
1887, and is a son of William H. and Catherine L. (Voorhees)
Hainline. Of their four children, two survive : Mrs. E. T. Walker,
the wife of a banker at Macomb, and Andrew Leslie. William H.
Hainline is one of McDonough County's foremost citizens. For the
past sixteen years he has been postmaster at Macomb and formerly
was county treasurer. For many years very active in the repub-
lican party, served as a member of the Republican State Central
Committee from 1896 to 1898 and was a member of the committee
concerned in the erection of the soldiers' monument at Anderson-
ville, Georgia. This was a fitting appointment as during the Civil
war, Mr. Hainline, as a soldier, had been incarcerated at Anderson-
ville prison for two months. He served through the war as a mem-
ber of the Sixteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with the rank of
corporal, and marched with General Sherman's forces to the sea,
and subsequently attended the grand review of the victorious troops
at Washington, D. C.

Andrew Leslie Hainline attended the public schools at Macomb
and was graduated from the high school in 1904. At that time
his father was publishing the Macomb Daily Journal, and for two
years Andrew L. was a reporter on the same, in this capacity dis-
playing talent indicative of journalistic ability had he turned his
serious attention in that direction. His choice, however, was fortu-
nately, the law, and in 1906 he entered the law department of the
University of Michigan and was graduated in 1909 and was ad-
mitted to the Illinois bar in June of that year. He immediately
entered into partnership at Macomb, with Philip E. Elting, under
the firm name of Elting & Hainline, and this combination is very
generally conceded to be one of the strongest law firms in the
county. It has been entrusted with many important cases, one of
recent date in which it was called by the state was that of the prose-
cution of Ray Panschmidt, on a murder charge, sent on a change of
venue from Adams to McDonough County. This law firm is not
only distinguished for its legal ability but also for its honorable,
faithful and courteous conduct of its cases. It maintains fine offices
in the Stocker Building, Macomb.

Mr. Hainline has always been identified with the republican
party, and is a member of the State Bar Association. He is a young
man of pleasing personality and is social by nature and is a valued
member of the Elks and the Knights of Pythias. He is unmar-
ried.

GEORGE A. FALDER. A practicing member of the Illinois bar
since 1893, George A. Falder was elected state's attorney of Mc-
Donough County in 1912, and that is only one of a number of sue-



636 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS

cesses that have attended his professional career during the past
twenty years. Previous to his removal to Macomb to assume the
duties of his present office, Mr. Falder had his home and offices at
Colchester.

George A. Falder was born at Macomb, Illinois, May 2, 1872,
the youngest of six children of Cornelius and Catherine (Cuba)
Falder. Both his parents were natives of Germany. Mr. Falder
spent the first fourteen years of his life near Tennessee, Illinois, was
educated in the district schools, continued his training in the public
schools at Macomb until eighteen, and in 1890 graduated from
the Macomb Normal School. At the outset of his career he was a
school teacher two years, and toolf up the study of law in the office
of Prentiss, Bailey & Holly, at Colchester, beginning his readings
in 1890. The members of that firm have subsequently become prom-
inent in practice in Chicago. Mr. Falder was admitted to the bar
at Mount Vernon, Illinois, in 1893, and at once located at Colchester
and became associated in practice with Bailey & Holly, under the
firm name of Bailey, Holly & Falder. This relationship was con-
tinued about six years until the other members of the firm moved to
Chicago. Since then Mr. Falder has conducted an independent
practice, and has been frequently employed in litigation of more
than ordinary importance and significance. For fourteen years con-
tinuously he served as city attorney of Colchester, and in the fall
of 1912 was elected state's attorney of McDonough County, for the
regular term of four years, at once removing to Macomb.

Mr. Falder is a democrat in politics, and fraternally is affiliated
with the Masonic order, having taken thirty-two degrees of the
Scottish rite, also with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the
Knights of Pythias, the Woodmen of the World, the Improved
Order of Red Men, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks. He is also a member of the State and County Bar Asso-
ciation. His home is at 528 South Randolph Street, in Macomb.
Mr. Falder was married May i, 1894, to Lenna J. Heppenstall, of
Colchester. Mrs. Falder died June 4, 1899, leaving a son, Gerald
H., who was born July 17, 1895, is a graduate of the Colchester
High School, spent one year in Macomb Normal School, and is
now a student in the University of Illinois. On July 17, 1900, Mr.
Falder married for his second wife Albertha Canote, of Colchester.
They have a son, Thurlo J., born June 19, 1903, and now in the
Macomb public schools.

OSCAR E. CARLSTROM. The junior member of the law firm of
Graham, Carlstrom & Graham, at Aledo, Oscar E. Carlstrom is
a man of recognized ability and has shown unusual energy in making
himself a useful member of his profession. He had to earn his
education, and studied law under the preceptorship of the vener-
able Isaac N. Bassett, the oldest practicing lawyer in the State of




\ /



COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 637

Illinois at the present time. Mr. Carlstrom is also a veteran of the
Philippine war.

Oscar E. Carlstrom was born at New Boston, Mercer County,
Illinois, July 16, 1878, a son of Charles A. and Clara (Spang)
Carlstrom. Both parents were natives of Sweden, his father born
February 18, 1845, and still living at New Boston. His mother died
in 1881. Oscar Carlstrom was the third among eight children. His
half brother Fred is now studying medicine.

Oscar E. Carlstrom acquired his early education in the district
schools near the home farms, attended such a school until thirteen
years old, and after that was dependent upon his own efforts largely
to gain an education. He worked on the streets and at any employ-
ment he could find in order to earn the money to get books and
attend school. He was graduated from the high school at New Bos-
ton at the age of eighteen, and for five months was a student of
Dixon College. He studied at night during the time he was em-
ployed in his self support, and proved himself diligent in those days
and thus laid the foundation for his successful career as a lawyer.

In April, 1899, Mr. Carlstrom began reading law in the office of
Isaac N. Bassett of Aledo. This study was interrupted by his enlist-
ment on August 26, 1899, in the Thirty-ninth United States Infan-
try. This regiment was sent to the Philippines, saw active service
during the Aguinaldo rebellion, and Philippine war, and Mr. Carl-
strom participated in four battles. He received an honorable dis-
charge on May 6, 1901, at the Presidio in San Francisco, after hav-
ing been in service upwards of two years. On returning to Aledo
he continued his law studies, and on February 24, 1903, was
admitted to the bar at Ottawa, Illinois. On the i6th day of the
following March Mr. Carlstrom began his active practice, as junior
partner of Isaac N. Bassett. This partnership lasted one year, and
Mr. Carlstrom was alone in practice until December, 1913, when he
became associated with William J. Graham under the name of
Graham & Carlstrom. Paul J. Graham has recently been admitted
to the firm, and the name is now Graham, Carlstrom & Graham.
This is one of the strong firms of Mercer County and has its offices
in the Carlson Building.

In 1909 Mr. Carlstrom was elected city attorney of Aledo, and
was re-elected in 1911 and 1913 and is now in his third term. He
is a republican in politics, a member of the Aledo Business Men's
Club, is a Chapter Mason and member of the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows, and his church is the Presbyterian.

On December 30, 1903, Mr. Carlstrom married Miss Alma C.
Nissen, a daughter of Henry C. and Betsey Nissen of Grand Mea-
dow, Minnesota. Mrs. Carlstrom was educated in' the public schools
.of Grand Meadow and in the Conservatory of Music at Dixon,
Illinois, where she met Mr. Carlstrom. They have one son, Charles
H., who was born August 28, 1905. Mr. Carlstrom's father came
to the United States in the fall of 1869, settled at Aledo, and later



638 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS

removed to New Boston. He is one of the older citizens of Mercer
County, has given service on the school board and is well known
locally.

GEORGE D. TUNNICLIFF. The City of Macomb, Illinois, is the
home of a number of the prominent men of the state who not only
find here a satisfactory field for their activities and a home with de-
sirable surroundings, but are bound by other ties, it being their
birthplace. A well known example is found in George D. Tunni-
cliff, one of the ablest members of the Macomb bar and formerly
state's attorney.

George D. Tunnicliff was born at Macomb, Illinois, December
14, 1861, and is a son of Judge Damon G. and Mary E. (Bailey)
Tunnicliff, the third born in their family of seven children. On
the paternal side the ancestors were from England and probably
also on the maternal side as well. The Tunnicliff family settled in
New York, and the Bailey family in Virginia, and it is probably a
fact that members of both participated in the Revolutionary war or
the War of 1812, but authentic records are not at hand. The mother
of George D. Tunnicliff died in his boyhood. The father survived
until December 20, 1901. For many years he was a leader of the bar
of McDonough County, and in 1885 was appointed by Governor
Oglesby an associate justice of the Supreme Court of Illinois, to fill
the vacancy caused by the death of Judge Pinckney H. \Valker.

A studious youth during his public school course, George D. Tun-
nicliff satisfied his father's hopes as to his future career, and in 1879
entered the Northwestern University at Evanston, where he re-
mained into his sophomore year and then became a student in the
law department of the University of Michigan, from which he was
graduated in June, 1885, and at once entered into active practice
with his eminent father and J. H. Bacon. In a short time Judge
Bacon withdrew and the father and son continued together until
1890, when Judge Tunnicliff retired from active practice and Law-
rence'Y. Sherman, the present United States senator from Illinois,
became a partner, the firm name becoming Sherman & Tunnicliff.
In 1901 C. G. Gumbart, now Judge Gumbart, became a member of
the firm, the name then becoming Sherman, Tunnicliff & Gumbart,
which style continued for seven years, when Mr. Sherman, after an
association of eighteen years with Mr. Tunnicliff, retired, and the
retirement of Judge Gumbart followed in 1910, when he was elected
county judge. Mr. Tunnicliff was then in practice alone until
December I4th, when Judge Gumbart was again taken into the firm,
the name becoming Tunnicliff, Gumbart & Grigsby. He engages in
general practice, confining himself to no special branch and is re-
tained as the attorney for numerous corporations, including the Chi-,
cago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad for over twenty-nine years,
the Toledo, Peoria, Pacific and Western Railway for over twenty-
five years, the Union National Bank, the Sewer Pipe factories and



COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 639

other important bodies. A stanch republican he has been loyal at all
times to its principles and candidates but very seldom has he ac-
cepted political preferment for himself although frequently urged
by his friends to be a candidate. In the spring of 1887 he was
elected city attorney of Macomb, and in the fall of 1888 was elected
state's attorney of McDonough County. His administration of
that office for four years distinguished him as a man of far more
than ordinary ability and he retired from the office with a clear
record. Since then his friends have never been able to tempt him
back into the political arena.

Mr. Tunnicliff was united in marriage on October 5, 1886, with
Miss Isabella Baker, a daughter of Hon. Jonathan H. Baker, who,
for several terms was judge of the County Court. Mr. and Mrs.
Tunnicliff have three children : Helen D., who was born July 4,
1887, is the wife of M. D. Mclntire, wholesale merchant, of Chi-
cago ; Mary Louise, who was born September 10, 1889, is well known
in the pleasant social life of Macomb, assisting her mother very
frequently in dispensing hospitality in the family home, situated at
No. 201 Carroll Street ; and Morris D., who was born Septem-
ber 13, 1895, and was a member of the graduating class of June,
1914, from the Western Military Academy. Mrs. Tunnicliff is a
daughter of the American Revolution, through patriot forefathers
who took part in that struggle. The family attends the Universalist
Church. Mr. Tunnicliff is one of the busy men of his profession
who, perhaps, is more thoughtful for others in the matter of recrea-
tion and relaxation than for himself, but he enjoys his associa-
tion and membership with the Knights of Pythias and the Elks.

CLARENCE S. TOWNLEY. The professional career of Mr. Town-
ley has been spent almost entirely within the limits of McDonough
County. He was admitted to the bar in 1899, and soon afterwards
located at Blandinsville in that county and was soon recognized as
a lawyer of promise and in the enjoyment of a good business. In
November, 1904, Mr. Townley was elected state's attorney of Mc-
Donough County by the largest majority ever given to a candidate
for that office in the county. In order to perform the duties of the
office he removed to Macomb, and has since lived in that city and
now looks after a large and profitable private practice.

At Louisville, Kentucky, Clarence S. Townley was born Novem-
ber 13, 1866, came to Illinois when a boy, acquired his early educa-
tion in the district schools, and was also a student in the Carthage
College and Eureka College, taking the regular classical course. He
also pursued the study of law while in college and supported him-
self meanwhile by teaching school in Hancock County. An impor-
tant influence in his early career was Hon. William H. Warder, a
former member of the Illinois Legislature and one of the ablest
lawyers in Southern Illinois, who directed the studies of Mr. Town-
ley until he was qualified for practice.



640 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS

June 27, 1892, at Rockford, Illinois, Mr. Townley married Miss
Emma Cunningham. Mrs. Townley served several terms as presi-
dent of the District Christian Endeavor Union and of the Woman's
Christian Temperance Union. There are two children : Fairfax,
born April n, 1893 ; and Wayne, born August 26, 1894. Mr. Town-
ley takes much interest in the Masonic order, is affiliated with Blan-
dinsville lodge and chapter and with Macomb Commandery No. 61
of the Knights Templar. He belongs to Bushnell Lodge No. 101,
of the Knights of Pythias, to New Hope Lodge, No. 263, I. O. O. F.,
and to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is also special
attorney of the Modern Woodmen of America. His politics are
republican. He maintains office in the Ballis Building, 405 North
Randolph Street.

DANIEL VALENTINE HARKIN. A member of the Chicago bar
since 1895, Mr. Harkin was in active practice until 1912, when
appointed state bank examiner, and has since given all his time to
the responsibilities of that office.

Daniel Valentine Harkin, born in Chicago, a son of John and
Mary (Hennessy) Harkin, graduated from the West Division High
School, and then entered the law department of Northwestern Uni-
versity, and took his degree LL. B. Admitted to the Illinois bar,
he was soon favored with a profitable practice in the general field
of law in Chicago, and with the exception of incidental political



Online LibraryFrederic B CrossleyCourts and lawyers of Illinois (Volume v.2) → online text (page 25 of 50)