souri, murder, acquitted.
Mr. Forrest secured the reversal of the judgments in the follow-
ing criminal cases either in the Supreme Court of Illinois, or the
Illinois Appellate Court of the First District, or in the United States
Circuit Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit: Lamb (first
trial), charge, murder; Cohen, charge, receiving stolen goods; Gra-
ham, charge, attempt to obtain money by means of the confidence
game ; \Varfield, charge, conspiracy to obtain money by means of
the confidence game; McDonald, charge, conspiracy to defraud
Cook County; Brennan and McCarle, charge, conspiracy to procure
persons to vote in the names of other persons ; Tilden and Graham^
charge, forging fictitious promissory notes ; Miller, charge, using
the mails in and for executing a scheme to defraud; Dalton (first
and third cases), charge, using the mails in and for executing a
scheme to defraud.
Mr. Forrest has also participated in the trial of numerous civil
Born at Baltimore, Maryland, July 9, 1856, William S. Forrest
was graduated A. B. from Dartmouth College in 1875, and for three
years was sub-master of the High School at Somerville, Massachu-
setts. He took up the study of law while teaching and during vaca-
tion periods, and in 1878 moved to Chicago and was admitted to
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 699
the Illinois bar in January, 1879. Mr. Forrest has always practiced
his profession alone. He is a member of the Chicago and Illinois
State Bar associations, and is a prominent Mason, having member-
ship in all the branches and bodies of that order.
His home is at- Highland Park. On April 17, 1879, he married
Elizabeth Whitney, who died March 6, 1896. His children by her
are Elizabeth, Marshall and Jean. By his present wife, who was
Elizabeth Conti Kimball, he has three children, Maulsby, William
S., Jr., and Nelson.
GEORGE CRAWFORD MASTIN. Probably no law firm in Chicago
handles a larger amount of practice originating with the many coal
corporations and firms that have business headquarters in the city
than Mastin & Sherlock, whose offices are in the Fisher Building.
Mr. Mastin is a lawyer of long standing in Chicago and for a num-
ber of years his practice has been confined almost exclusively to
representing the interests of coal companies. He has figured in
some very important litigation and is one of the highly successful
corporation lawyers of the state.
He was bom at Roscoe, Ohio, April 19, 1853, a son of Jethro
and Catherine .(Dougherty) Mastin. His father was a physician.
The son was educated in the public schools and attended the old
Chicago University, where he partly completed a course with the
class of 1877. His law studies were pursued in the office of C. B.
Smith at Mount Carroll, Illinois, and he was admitted to the Illinois
bar in 1884, more than thirty years ago. During the two years of
his practice at Mount Carroll following his admission he also served
in the office of county superintendent of schools, having held that
office for a period of five years. Then for four years he was a
member of the bar of Wichita, Kansas. In 1890 Mr. Mastin
removed to Washington, D. C., engaged in private practice there
two years, and in 1892 settled permanently in Chicago. For a
number of years he was senior member of the firm of Mastin, Moss
& Sherlock, but since 1905 the firm has been Mastin & Sherlock.
His partner is John J. Sherlock.
Mr. Mastin is a member of the Chicago and State Bar associa-
tions, 'the City Club, the Westward' Ho Golf Club, the Oak Park
Country Club, and in Masonry is affiliated with Oak Park Lodge
A. F. & A. M. and Lanark Chapter, R. A. M. He belongs to the
Delta Kappa Epsilon college fraternity and the Patriotic League, of
Oak Park, an auxiliary of the G. A. R.
Mr. Mastin resides in the suburb of Oak Park. He was married
in 1877 to Miss Fannie Shelly of Shannon, Illinois, who died at
Savanna, Illinois, in 1880. The one daughter of this marriage,
Catherine, is now the wife of Frank L. Miller of London Mills,
Illinois. In 1884 Mr. Mastin married Miss Ada A. Crummer of
Mount. Carroll, Illinois.
700 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
GEORGE A. BARR. Of the native sons of Will County who have
here gained definite success and prestige as able and honored repre-
sentatives of the Joliet bar is the progressive and popular citizen
whose name initiates this review and whose offices are in the Wood-
ruff Building. He is known alike for his excellent professional
attainments and for his civic loyalty and public spirit, and in the
practice of his profession he is a member of the representative law
firm of Barr, McNaughton & Barr.
Mr. Barr was born on the homestead farm of his father, in Man-
hattan Township, Will County, Illinois, on the 25th of May, 1873,
and is a son of George and Jane (McGrath) Barr, both of whom
were born near Londonderry, Ireland, and the marriage of whom
was solemnized at Joliet, Illinois, the respective families represent-
ing the most sterling Scotch-Irish stock. He whose name intro-
duces this article was the seventh in order of birth in a family of
ten children, of whom six are now living. The father was reared
and educated in his native land and as a young man came to the
United States, where he established his home on a farm in Manhat-
tan Township, Will County, and became one of the successful agri-
culturists of this section of Illinois. He remained on the homestead
farm until his death, in 1876, and his wife, now venerable in years,
maintains her home in Joliet.
George A. Barr was about three years old at the time of his
father's death, and his early educational discipline was acquired in
the public schools of his native county. After availing himself of
the advantages of the Joliet High School he entered the University
of Illinois, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of
1897 an d from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts.
At the university he simultaneously devoted two years to study and
cadet service in the military department, in which he gained excellent
tactical knowledge and discipline. After his graduation he was a
student in the law department of the university for one year, and
technical reading was continued in the office and under the precep-
torship of his elder brother, Hon. Richard J. Barr, who was at that
time one of the representative members of the Joliet bar, and who
served with distinction as a member of the State Legislature. Mr.
Barr was admitted to practice in the courts of his native state in
December, 1899, and he forthwith formed a professional alliance
with his brothers, Hon. Richard J. and Joseph, under the firm name
of Barr, Barr & Barr, this fraternal and effective professional asso-
ciation continuing until the death of Joseph Barr, in 1900. The
two surviving brothers have since continued their partnership rela-
tions and in 1910 Mr. McNaughton was admitted to the firm, the
title of which has since been Barr, McNaughton & Barr. This
firm controls a large and important general law business, exempli-
fies at all times the best ethics of the profession and its members
have been concerned with much noteworthy litigations in the courts
of Will County, as well as in the tribunals of higher jurisdiction.
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 701
The reputation of George A. Barr as a strong and versatile trial
lawyer was definitely advanced by his effective service as state's
attorney of Will County, an office of which he was the incumbent
from 1908 to 1912, when he retired, after having refused to become
a candidate for re-election. Since that time he has given close atten-
tion to private practice, in which his success has been of unequivocal
order. He holds membership in the Illinois State Bar Association,
has completed the circle of York Rite Masonry, in which his maxi-
mum affiliation is with Joliet Commandery, No. 4, Knights Templar,
besides which he is identified with Medinah Temple of the Ancient
Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, in the City of
Chicago, and holds membership in various other civic organizations
in his home city. His political allegiance has been given to the
republican party, and has shown no vacillation.
On the i6th of October, 1902, was solemnized the marriage of
Mr. Barr to Miss Mary W. Speer, who was born and reared in
Joliet and who is a daughter of James B. Speer, long an honored
citizen of this place. Mr. and Mrs. Barr have two children, James
Worrell and Joseph Milton.
HON. VESPASIAN WARNER. Among the distinguished citizens
of DeWitt County no one is held in higher esteem than Vespasian
Warner, whose public career has been one of honorable achieve-
ment, and whose public-spirited activities as a private citizen of
Clinton have brought him deserved prominence. Proving the sin-
cerity of his patriotism, in early manhood he became a soldier in
the ranks, in the spring of 1861, and served throughout the entire
period of Civil war, later winning success in the law and still later
honorably filling eminent positions in public life. The career of so
conspicuous and widely influential a man as Mr. Warner cannot fail
to be of deep interest, showing, as it does, through long years of
effort, that sturdy adherence to principle which arouses admiration
and emulation in every true American.
Vespasian Warner was born April 23, 1842, in DeWitt County,
Illinois, at a village then called Mount Pleasant, which later became
Santa Anna and at the present day bears the name of Farmer City.
He passed his earlier years at Clinton, attending the public schools,
and later entered Lombard University, at Galesburg, Illinois. Hav-
ing decided upon the law as his choice of profession, early in 1861
he began study under Hon. Lawrence Weldon, but had made little
advance when the Civil war was precipitated, and in May of that
year he put aside his books and visions of early professional success
in order to take upon himself the responsibilities of a soldier, enlist-
ing as a private in the first company recruited in DeWitt County,
in answer to President Lincoln's first call for troops. This became
Company E, Twentieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. His service
was hard and long, terminated on July 13, 1866, at which time he
702 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
was brevetted major, his promotions in rank having been made
because of military valor.
When his military life was over, Mr. Warner resumed his study
of law, immediately entering the law department of Harvard Uni-
versity, from which great institution he was graduated in 1868.
Coming back to Clinton he was admitted to the Illinois bar and
entered upon the practice of his profession in this city, entering
into partnership with Clifton H. Moore, under the firm name of
Moore & Warner, which continued until the death of Mr. Moore,
in 1901. For many years this was one of the leading law firms of
It was the strong personality of Mr. Warner that first brought
him into public life and in him the republican party has always had
a strong advocate and many times has his party signally honored
him. In 1894 he was elected to represent the Thirteenth District
in Congress, in which body he served continuously for ten years,
taking part in much important legislation and on every occasion
acquitting himself with honor. In February, 1905, he was appointed
by President Theodore Roosevelt Commissioner of Pensions of the
United States, in which office he served with entire efficiency until
November, 1909, when he resigned in order to be able to devote
more time to his many business enterprises at Clinton and in DeWitt
County, one important connection being with the John Warner Bank
of Clinton, one of the solid institutions of the county.
Mr. Warner has been twice married, first to Miss Winifred
Moore, who died in 1894. She was a daughter of Clifton H. and
Elizabeth (Richmond) Moore. Of their family of six children five
reached mature years: John, Clifton M., Vesper M., Winifred and
Mary Frances. The second marriage of Mr. Warner was to Miss
Minnie M. Bishop, who is a daughter of William and Kate M.
For many years Mr. Warner has been prominent in Masonic
circles and is a valued member of Frank Lowry Post No. 157,
Grand Army of the Republic, of which organization he has ever
been mindful and helpful, both individually and as a public official.
Clinton has many reasons to regard Mr. Warner with admiration
and gratitude, and owes to him its magnificent library building, a
free gift representing more than $25,000. In everyday life Mr.
Warner is very democratic and his fellow citizens know him as
genial, kind, charitable and dependable.
ISAAC R. MILLS. For more than thirty-five years the name of
Mills has been honorably identified with the profession of law in
Macon County, one generation succeeding the other, perpetuating,
with the name, the same standards of professional conduct that orig-
inally made it trustworthy. For many years Decatur was the home
and scene of legal effort of Isaac R. Mills, who distinguished him-
self and brought credit to his community and state through efficient
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 703
official services extending over a long period. He was a man whose
range of knowledge was wide, whose conception and understanding
of the law was complete, and whose personal poise and moral cour-
age served him well in the many difficulties he encountered during
twelve years of continuous service as state's attorney during times
when Macon County harbored a more or less turbulent element.
Isaac R. Mills was born September 5, 1853, on his father's farm
in Putnam County, Illinois. His parents were Eli and Elizabeth
Mills, most worthy people and members of the Society of Friends.
There were eight children in the family. In Putnam County Isaac
R. attended school while he assisted his father on the farm, and after
a course in the High School entered Lincoln University at Lincoln,
Logan County, Illinois, from which institution he was graduated in
the class of 1875. Having decided upon the law as a career and
having shown unmistakable talent in that direction, he went to
Chicago and there became a student of law in the office of the well-
known firm of Dent & Black, where he remained until the fall of
1879. He then located at Decatur, forming a law partnership under
the style of Mills & Clokey, a combination of talent that proved
very effective, and the partnership continued until 1881. When that
firm was dissolved it was succeeded by the firm of Mills Bros., the
partners being Isaac R. and Andrew H. Mills. The present firm
style is Mills Brothers, the partners being Andrew H. and Walter H.
Mills, the latter succeeding to his father's interest in 1904.
As an attorney of great ability, many political offices were, at
different times, tendered Mr. Mills, and as early in his career as
1882 he was elected city attorney of Decatur, public approbation
being shown by his re-election again and again, and he continued
until 1887. In the following year he was appointed state's attorney
of Macon County, in the fall of the same year being elected to this
office by a large majority. He served in this capacity with signal
honor to himself and to the satisfaction of the public for twelve
continuous years. A man who does his duty in this office is often
spoken of as relentless, but justice demands resolution in such an
official and never could Mr. Mills be accused of showing any preju-
dice or pa'rtiality. After retiring from the office of state's attorney
he resumed private practice and continued connected with his firm,
although in 1901 he was appointed to the collectorship ef internal
revenue for the Eighth District of Illinois. He survived but a few
years longer, his death occurring July 3, 1904. His burial was in
Greenwood Cemetery at Decatur.
In September, 1878, Mr. Mills was married to Miss Mattie A.
Mahannah, who was a daughter of Stephen Mahannah, a -former
very prominent man of Macon County. Mrs. Mills died in 1889,
the mother of four children. In March, 1891, Mr. Mills was united
in marriage with Miss Mary Hachenberg, a daughter of Joseph
Hachenberg, this being an old and prominent family of Christian
County, Illinois. Two children were born to this marriage.
704 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
In all the private relations of life Mr. Mills sustained a high
character. With his family he belonged to the Presbyterian Church
and was liberal in support of its benevolent movements. He was
proud of his membership in the County and State Bar associations
and was faithful to his vows as a Knight Templar Mason.
Walter H. Mills, the present junior member of the firm of Mills
Brothers, with offices in the Millikin Bank Building, Decatur, is
recognized as an 'able attorney and a safe counselor. He was born
at Chicago, June 5, 1879, was educated in Decatur, and after com-
pleting the High School course, was prepared for the bar under his
father's direction and was admitted to practice in 1904. He married
Miss Martha S. Nicoll, who is a daughter of James Nicoll, and they
have two children. Mr. Mills and family reside at No. 1040 East
Lincoln Avenue. Like his late father, he is affiliated with the
WILLIAM G. McCuLLOUGH. Theoretically every branch of the
law is of equal importance and every qualified practitioner is sup-
posed to be thoroughly conversant with all accepted rules of juris-
prudence. However, experience counts for much and natural bent
for more, and sometimes brilliant oratory is a possession of the
greatest value, while, again a faculty for detail work is a strong
point with other lawyers, so that many large firms, that have
acquired clients with widely diversified claims, give recognition to
these various talents and increase their firm memberships and divide
their responsibilities. In the hands of so representative a law firm
as that of Outten, Ewing, McCullough & Wierman, of Decatur,
rest the interests of individuals, estates and corporations, and so
completely are all cared for that the reputation of this aggregation
of legal talent extends far beyond the bounds of city and county.
An active and able member of this firm is found in William G.
McCullough, who has been identified with it since 1907.
William G. McCullough was born in DeWitt County, Illinois,
one of a family of seven children born to Samuel O. and Maria
(Michaels) McCullough. During his entire active life the father
has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, a man of sterling character
and respected and esteemed in his neighborhood. His children were
reared carefully and given educational advantages. After complet-
ing the public school course, William G. McCullough became a
student in the University of Illinois and was graduated in 1901,
applying himself afterward to the study of law and securing admis-
sion to the bar in 1903, four years later becoming a member of his
present firm. Mr. McCullough keeps thoroughly informed on pro-
fessional matters through his active membership in the Illinois State
Bar Association and the Macon County Bar Association. He is not
interested in either fraternal or social organizations, probably
because he finds his time sufficiently taken up with professional
duties and the civic tasks which are imposed on all good citizens.
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 705
He is ever ready to listen to the call of charity and ready to put his
shoulder to the wheel in the cause of public improvement. In his
political affiliation he is a democrat.
Mr. McCullough has a happy home circle, having married Miss
Madaline Funk, who was born at Bloomington, Illinois, where her
father, George Funk, was a prominent business man. The family
residence is No. 1398 W. Macon Street, Decatur. Mr. and Mrs.
McCullough are members of the First Methodist Church.
ANDREW H. MILLS. Among the prominent members of the legal
profession at Decatur, Andrew H. Mills occupies a recognized
place. He was born on his father's farm in Putnam County, Illi-
nois, October 6, .1851, and is a son of Eli B. and Elizabeth (Kimber)
Mills, who were natives of Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
Andrew H. Mills passed his boyhood on the home farm and
attended the district schools until 1870, when he entered Lincoln
University, at Lincoln, Illinois, where he completed the classical
course in June, 1875. For two years he was employed as a tutor
at the university, during which time he took advantage of his oppor-
tunities and completed a post-graduate course. The succeeding
three years were spent largely in educational work as teacher of the
graded schools at Waverly, Illinois, and during this time he did
considerable preliminary reading in the line of the law and when,
in July, 1880, he came to Decatur and entered the law office of
Clokey & Mills, he was well prepared for the hard study that awaited
him. In June, 1881, he formed a law partnership with his brother,
the late Isaac R. Mills, under the style of Mills Brothers. The firm
prospered and built up a large law business, no change being made in
its composition for twenty-three years. On July 3, 1904, occurred
the wreck on the Wabash Railroad, in which Isaac R. Mills lost his
life. He was succeeded in the firm, without change of firm style,
by his son, Walter H. Mills, the present junior partner. This firm
continues to- maintain its original high standing and numbers among
its satisfied clients many substantial firms and corporations, as well
as litigants in every walk of life who need their rights defended.
On January 2, 1877, Mr. Mills was united in marriage with Miss
Elizabeth E. Bell. She was reared at Lincoln, Illinois, and is a
daughter of Rev. William C. and Sarah A. (Doss) Bell. Her father
was born in Illinois and her mother in Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs.
Mills met as students at Lincoln University, developed the same
tastes and talents and together pursued the same studies, and later
both taught school at Waverly. Five children have been born to
Mr. and Mrs. Mills : Ralph G., who is a medical missionary in the
Severance Hospital, Seoul, Korea; Judith B., who is the wife of
Keach Bone, of Petersburg, Illinois ; Helen E. and Harold E., twins,
and Andrew Hubert, all three residing with their parents. Mr.
Mills and family are members of the First Presbyterian Church.
From early manhood he has been helpfully interested in Sunday
706 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
school work, and for eighteen years was superintendent of the
Sunday School in the above church and at present is teacher of the
Sisterhood Bible class, numbering 185 members. For the past
twelve years he has been chairman of the executive committee of the
Illinois Sunday School Association, for a similar period has acted
as the Illinois member of the International Sunday School Associa-
tion, and is now filling his second term as president of the Illinois
State Sunday School Association. These positions of importance
and responsibility have broadened his influence and have made his
name widely known in other than professional lines. Mr. Mills
is not a man to shirk responsibilitity and has been active as a citizen
in public matters, giving his personal support to republican candi-
dates but not being blindly led by party feeling. He has frequently
appeared on the rostrum during campaigns as he is a ready and
convincing speaker. He is much interested in progressive legisla-
tion, rejoicing that Illinois has passed so many admirable laws, but
recognizes, as a lawyer, that the commonwealth needs to change
some now existing in order to make them properly effective, and to
pass others that changing times and opinions seem to demand.
HON. WILLIAM G. COCHRAN. Among the prominent men of
Moultrie County, no one deserves more appreciative mention than
Hon. William G. Cochran, whose long and honorable connection
with public affairs in the State of Illinois, and his continued service
on the bench for eighteen years, have brought him before his fellow
citizens as a man of great and worthy achievement. Judge Cochran
was born in Ross County, Ohio, November 13, 1844, and is the
adopted son of Andrew and Jane (Foster) Cochran, his father and
mother having died when he was an infant, and a grandson of
Andrew Cochran. The grandfather was of Scotch ancestry.
In 1849, when William G. Cochran was five years old, his par-
ents moved to Moultrie County, Illinois, where the father engaged
in farming. He died at the age of eighty-two years, his memory
being preserved by his son because of his long life of honorable
effort. The mother of Judge Cochran, a warm-hearted, capable