he enlisted in Company E of the Seventy-eighth Illinois Infantry,
and for three years was away at the front fighting for the cause of
the Union. His widow, a native of Liberty, died at the home of her
son Samuel in Carthage on October 8, 1914.
Mr. Naylor acquired his early education in the public schools,
and was graduated in 1900 with the A. B. degree from Carthage
College. His law studies were pursued under Judge D. E. Mack
at Carthage, and three years later, in October, 1903, he was admitted
to the bar. His practice began at once at Carthage, and although he
now occupies offices with Senator O. F. Berry, he has never had a
partner. Mr. Naylor was elected and served one term as city attor-
ney of Carthage, and for six years was a member of the school
board. Aside from his large general practice, he is now attorney
for the Dime Savings Bank at Carthage, and also for the large
loan company of Sharp & Berry Bros.
Mr. Naylor was married August n, 1909, to Miss Forest M.
Jones, daughter of Elijah and Emeline Jones of Springfield. They
have two children : Barbara Eleanor Naylor, born October 20,
1910, and Samuel J., born October 20, 1912. Mr. Naylor is a repub-
lican in politics, is affiliated with the Masonic Order and Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, is a member of the Illinois State Bar Asso-
ciation and president of the Hancock County Bar Association, and
732 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
his church is the Lutheran. His office is in the Dime Savings Bank
Building, and his home at 712 Wabash Avenue.
ROLLAND M. WAGNER. A young lawyer who has done much to
prove his ability and open a way for a large and successful career,
Rolland M. Wagner, of the firm of Wolf & Wagner, is assistant
state's attorney of Adams County, and has practiced at Quincy since
his admission to the bar.
Rolland M. Wagner was born at Liberty, Illinois, July 27, 1886,
a son of Charles A. and Clara (Collins) Wagner. The grandfather
was a native of Pennsylvania, moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, where
Charles A. Wagner was born, and the latter subsequently moved to
Ohio and for a number of years has been senior member of the
mercantile firm of Wagner & Collins at Liberty, Illinois. He is now
sixty-two years of age, and his wife, a native of Illinois, is fifty.
They had three sons and three daughters, and the Quincy lawyer
was the third.
His early education was acquired in the public schools of Lib-
erty, finishing with a high school course, taught for two years at
Columbus, Illinois, graduated B. A. at the University of Michigan,
and entering the law school of the Northwestern University of Chi-
cago was graduated LL. B. in 1909. Since then he has practiced
at Quincy and has established an excellent reputation for skillful
handling of cases. As assistant state's attorney he was one of the
prosecutors of the famous Pfanschmidt murder case, which resulted
in a sentence of death for the defendant, and the case is now before
the Supreme Court. Mr. Wagner has been connected with a num-
ber of other important cases. He is attorney for the Adams County
Humane Society, attorney for the Ellington Electric Company of
Quincy, and other corporations, is a member of the Adams County
Bar Association and the State Bar Association, is lecturing knight
of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Fraternal Order of Eagles,
the Quincy Turnverein, the Quincy Country Club, and takes keen
delight in all outdoor sports.
Louis F. MEEK. Thirty years a member of the Illinois bar,
Louis F. Meek has practiced in Peoria since 1888, and his success
and attainments as a lawyer have been in proportion to the years
of his activity. He has kept himself closely within the limits of
professional work, his life has been characterized by a devotion to
duty and the service of a capable lawyer such as to constitute true
and substantial success.
Louis F. Meek, who was born in Eureka, Woodford County,
Illinois, in June, 1863, is in the same profession which was honored
by his father, the late Bazel D. Meek, who died after a long and
eventful career at Eureka, April 30, 1909. Colonel Meek was one
of the early members of the Woodford County bar, and early in
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 733
the Civil war was associated with Col. Robert G. Ingersoll in rais-
ing the Eleventh Illinois Cavalry. He became lieutenant colonel
in that organization, and after two years in the field resigned his
commission and returned home to his practice. He was regarded
as one of the distinguished and able members of the bar in his
county, figured in public life, and held such offices as county judge,
county treasurer and county superintendent of schools.
Louis F. Meek grew up in Eureka, attended the public schools
and Eureka College, and prepared for his profession in the North-
western Law School in Chicago. After graduating with the class
of 1884 and being admitted to the bar, he was associated with his
father until 1888. Seeking the opportunities of a larger city he then
opened his office in Peoria, and for two years was in practice with
R. J. Cooney, now of Chicago, who afterwards served as state's
attorney of Peoria County. One step in his professional experience
was two years of service as assistant state's attorney under John
Niehaus. He was also public administrator of Peoria County four
years. For a number of years he was associated with Mr. Ellwood,
in the" firm of Ellwood & Meek. On August 2, 1913, was appointed
postmaster of Peoria by President Wilson and the firm of Ellwood
& Meek was dissolved, but Mr. Meek still maintains the office in
Central National Bank Building, where he attends to such legal
matters as his time will permit from his duties as postmaster.
Politically he is a democrat and has always taken an active interest
in politics. He was a delegate to the national convention in 1890
and always stumps his congressional district and Central Illinois
when campaigns are on. In 1906, during an absence from the state
on business, the democratic convention nominated him for Con-
gress. He accepted the honor reluctantly, and after a vigorous
campaign succeeded in reducing the normal republican majority of
6,000 to less than 3,000.
Mr. Meek is married and there are three children in the family :
Elizabeth, Perry and Louis. Mr. Meek is affiliated with a number
of secret orders and business organizations and belongs to the Sons
of the American Revolution. He is one of the leading Peorians
both as a lawyer and citizen.
EDWARD P. ALLEN. Engaged in practice at Quincy since 1907,
Mr. Allen, who is now serving as city attorney, has gained a secure
position in his profession as a result of hard work in overcoming
the handicaps of meager advantages and by close diligence and
application to his work as a lawyer.
Born in Quincy January 15, 1884, Edward P. Allen was the
youngest of four children born to John A. and Anna (Lane) Allen,
the former a native of New York State and the latter of Ohio.
Grandfather John Allen was a native of Fall River, Massachusetts.
John A. Allen in early life studied for a lawyer, but at the beginning
of the Civil war enlisted at Providence, Rhode Island, and went out
734 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
as major of the Fourth Rhode Island Volunteers. It was one of
the first regiments to reach Washington, D. C. His service was for
three years, and included participation in the battles of first and
second Bull Run, and though two horses were shot from under him
he was never wounded. At one time he was military governor of
both North and South Carolina, and subsequently was on General
Burnside's staff as major. He came out of the army as lieutenant
colonel, having resigned on account of ill health. In 1868 he came
to Illinois, promoted and carried out several large land deals at
Quincy and vicinity, and subsequently was in the tailoring business,
employing at one time nineteen tailors. After retiring from that
business, he held the office of justice of the peace for thirty years.
His death occurred in November, 1908, at the age of eighty-two. He
was married in Dallas City, Illinois, to Anna Lane, who died at
Quincy February 13, 1908, at the age of sixty-nine.
Edward P. Allen had to work and farm to get an education.
His attendance in the public schools was interrupted, and he subse-
quently was a student in the Union City Business College, and com-
pleted the equivalent of a high school course by night study for two
years. His law reading was pursued in the office of W. A. Vande-
venter, and later with Homer Swope. He was also a student of
law in the Gem City Business College, and was admitted to the bar
at Quincy in 1907. Mr. Allen was elected city attorney in 1909 and
held the office three terms. He refused to accept another term,
preferring to give his entire time to his private and growing law
business. He was nominated for Congress on the democratic ticket
and defeated by a small vote in a large republican district, and is
one of the leading democrats in Adams County. He has been a dele-
gate to all the state conventions for the past fifteen years and was
assistant sergeant at arms of the national convention at Denver
in 1908. He was secretary of the Democratic County Committee,
and is a member of the County and State Bar Association. His
fraternities are the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the
Masonic lodge, and has taken thirty-two degrees of the Scottish
On September 8, 1909, Mr. Allen married Miss Maude Homan,
daughter of William A. and Emily (Rouer) Homan, both natives of
Quincy, where they still reside. One child was born to their mar-
riage, Anna Lane Allen, on December 14, 1910.
HON. HARRY HIGBEE. Judge of the Circuit Court of Pike
County, Judge Higbee is one of the best known lawyers and jurists
of Illinois, is the son of a judge and lawyer who gained distinction
in earlier Illinois courts, and in his own career has had fortunate
associations, a liberal education, has for many years been prominent
in professional and civic affairs, and all his acts as a judge or lawyer
have contributed to the dignity of his profession.
Harry Higbee was born at Pittsfield, county seat of Pike
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 735
County, December 13, 1854. His father was the late Hon. Chaun-
cey L. Higbee and his mother Julia M. (White) Higbee. Chauncey
L. Higbee, a native of Ohio, moved to Illinois early in life, entered
the law and for a number of years was a very widely known and
learned attorney in Pike County. He was elected judge of the Cir-
cuit Court at Pittsfield and honored that office by his services from
1861 until his death in 1884. He was also a member of the Appellate
Court of the state from 1877 to 1884.
Judge Harry Higbee had not only the natural capacity but the
fortunate environment which prepares men for the most efficient
service. He entered Yale University, was graduated in 1875, subse-
quently studied law at Columbia College, New York, for a year,
and later, in 1878, graduated from the Union College of Law at
Chicago, and then spent a year in European travel and study. Re-
turning from abroad he was admitted to the Illinois bar in 1879.
One of his partners was Mr. Wike, a prominent lawyer and at one
time assistant secretary of the treasury of the United States. He
was also associated in practice with the late Col. Asa C. Mathews.
In 1888 he was elected a member of the State Senate, was
re-elected in 1892, and in 1897 was elected judge of the Circuit
Court, an office in which his thorough legal training and ability, his
broad experience and unquestioned integrity have enabled him to
render the finest quality of judicial service.
Judge Higbee has been president of the First National Bank of
Pittsfield since its organization. He is a member of the American
Bar Association, the Illinois and Pik'e County Bar associations, and
was honored with the office of president of the State Bar Associa-
tion in 1912-13. In politics he is a democrat, is a member of the
University Club and. the Iroquois Club of Chicago, and is a Royal
Arch Mason. Judge Higbee was married December 18, 1879, at
Pittsfield, to Miss Emma Hicks. Her father, Col. D. D. Hicks,
who died in 1881, was for many years one of Pittsfield's prominent
citizens. Judge Higbee's only child died in infancy.
HON. EDWARD DOOCY. The professional record of Mr. Doocy
includes forty years as a member of the Pike County bar, with
twelve years of service as county judge and for the past nine years
master in chancery. Among Illinois lawyers his name is representa-
tive of the solid industry and ability which is at the basis of any
long and successful career in the law.
Edward Doocy was born at Griggsville, Pike County, Illinois,
October 19, 1851. His parents were James and Sarah (Tracy)
Doocy, both natives of County Tipperary, Ireland, who in 1847
emigrated to America, and from New Orleans came to St. Louis,
where they lived four years, and in the early part of 1851 located at
Griggsville. The father followed various occupations while living
in St. Louis, and in Pike County became a substantial farmer and
736 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
was such up to his death in 1874 at the, age of forty-nine. The
mother died at Springfield, Illinois, at the age of seventy-seven.
The oldest of their seven children, Judge Doocy, had his primary
education in the public schools of Pike County, subsequently was a
student in the academic and law department of the Illinois College
at Jacksonville, graduating in 1871, and thereafter read law with
Judge James Ward; a retired lawyer. His admission to practice
came in January, 1874, and then for eight years he practiced with
increasing reputation in his native town. In 1882 Pike County
elected him its county judge, and this caused his removal to the
county seat at Pittsfield, where he was twice re-elected and adminis-
tered the duties of county judge for three terms, or twelve years.
Since leaving the bench Judge Doocy has given his attention to a
large and important practice and for the past ten years has been
master in chancery. He was a delegate to the democratic conven-
tion at Baltimore in 1912. He is a member of both the State and
American Bar associations, is a democrat in politics, and is a
Knight Templar Mason, with lodge affiliations in Ascalon Lodge,
No. 49, A. F. & A. M.
Judge Doocy has a fine family. On December 28, 1886, at
Griggsville he married Clara L. Butler, daughter of E. W. Butler,
now deceased. To their marriage have been born five children :
Clara Louise, born at Griggsville in 1889, is a graduate of the Illinois
College with the degree of B. A., and is principal of the High
School of Mount Sterling, Illinois; Edward Butler, born in July,
1892, at Pittsfield, finished the electrical engineering course in the
Agricultural and Mechanical College of Mississippi, and is now
superintendent of a public service corporation ; Elmer Tiffany, born
in November, 1894, at Pittsfield, is a graduate of the law depart-
ment of Wesleyan University; Helen L., born January 25, 1896, at
Pittsfield, has finished the Pittsfield High School course, and is now
a teacher; Clarence Wellington, born in 1904, is attending school.
NELSON F. ANDERSON. A lawyer with an unusually broad
range of experience both in private and official practice, Nelson F.
Anderson is the present state's attorney of Henry County and has
been identified with the bar of that county a quarter of a century.
Nelson F. Anderson was born in Sweden February n, 1860, a
son of Nels and Maria (Kolakowski) Nelson. He was the oldest
of their eight children, and. in the family are . two dentists, one
physician, two lawyers and one in the grocery business, which is a
fine showing of professional talent for one set of children.
Nelson F. Anderson received his early education in the Latin
School at Ystad, Sweden, but when twelve years of age the family
emigrated to the United States, first locating at Greene in Butler
County, Iowa. In that county he attended country schools for three
years, and then went to Keokuk and learned the printer's trade.
Mr. Anderson is a practical printer, and worked at his trade in
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 737
Keokuk, Galesburg and Chicago, spending about four years alto-
gether. His literary education was acquired in Knox College at
Galesburg, where he graduated with the degree Bachelor of Arts,
and his wife has the same degree from the same institution. At the
age of twenty-one Mr. Anderson determined to study law, but was
confronted with the problem of providing his living expenses while
pursuing his studies. While working at his trade in Chicago he
began the reading of law in the office of Thomas E. Milchrist, whose
record as United States District Attorney is well remembered. Mr.
Anderson was with Mr. Milchrist two years, and in the fall of 1882
entered the Union College of Law at Chicago, and was admitted to
the bar December 6, 1886, before the Supreme Court.
For about a year Mr. Anderson was employed by the law firm
of Cook & Lawrence in Chicago, then for two years practiced at
Salina, Kansas, with W. F. Musser as a partner under the firm
name of Anderson & Musser. Returning to Illinois Mr. Anderson
established an office at Galva, and for fourteen years served as vil-
lage attorney. For six years he was assistant to Judge Bigelow,
justice of the Appellate Court in the Sixth District. Mr. Anderson
has been a resident of Kewanee for the past ten years, and in 1912
was elected for the regular four-year term as state's attorney of
Henry County. He has an office in the courthouse at Cambridge
and his home law office is in the Fisher Building at Kewanee.
Mr. Anderson was married December 25, 1888, to Mary W.
Williams, daughter of W. P. Williams of Henry, Illinois. Their
four sons are: Leland H., who was born in 1891 and is a graduate
of the Kewanee High School and of the University of Chicago;
Sumner B., born in 1895, now a student in the University of Chi-
cago; Richard S., born in 1897; Nelson P., born in 1899. Mr.
Anderson was for nine years a member of the Galva Board of
Education, and has always interested himself in local affairs in what-
ever community has been his home. Politically he is a democrat, is
a member of the Congregational Church, of the Henry County Bar
Association, and is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks. His home is at 527 Elliott Street, Kewanee.
JOHN B. HARRIS. Madison County claims Mr. Harris as one of
its native sons and as one of .the representative younger members
of its bar. He is engaged in the successful practice of his pro-
fession at Granite City, and he has been in a significant sense the
architect of his own fortunes, as he depended on his own resources
in making advancement to eligibility for the exacting profession in
which he is an earnest and effective worker and which he is honor-
ing alike by his character and services.
Mr. Harris was born on a farm in Moro Township, Madison
County, Illinois, on the 22d of November, 1880, and is a son of
John S. and Catherine (Keefe) Harris, the former of whom was
born in St. Charles- County, Missouri, and the latter in the City of
Vol. II 20
738 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
St. Louis, that state, both having been children at the time of the
removal of the respective families to Alton, Madison County, Illi-
nois, where both were reared and educated and where their mar-
riage was solemnized. As a young man John S. Harris was a
successful and popular teacher in the public schools of Madison
County, and he finally turned his attention to agricultural pursuits,
in connection with which he became one of the substantial farmers
of Madison County, where he continued to reside until his death,
on the 27th of March, 1894, at the age of forty-eight years. His
widow, who was born in December, 1851, now resides at East St.
Louis, St. Clair County. Of the nine children seven are living, and
of the number John B. was the third in order of birth.
Mr. Harris passed his childhood days on the old homestead farm
and acquired his early education in the public schools of his native
township. He was about thirteen years old at the time of his
father's death and his widowed mother soon afterward removed
with her children to the Village of Bunker Hill, Macoupin County.
In the village high school Mr. Harris was graduated in 1898, and
he thereafter provided for his own support by various occupations,
the while he gave close attention to the study of law at home and
under effective private preceptorship. Knowledge thus gained indi-
cates how effective must have been the spur of ambition, and in
1907 Mr. Harris proved himself eligible for and was admitted to
the bar of his native state, at Alton, the metropolis of Madison
County. On the ist of March of the following year he engaged in
the practice of his profession at Granite City, and his record has
been one of consecutive advancement and pronounced professional
success. He has appeared in connection with a number of specially
important cases and up to the time of this writing has never yet
lost a case that was carried to the appellate court. He is an appre-
ciative and popular member of the Madison County Bar Associa-
tion, is a director of the Granite City Commercial Club, and in
politics is an uncompromising advocate of the cause of the demo-
cratic party, being a member of the Young Men's Democratic Club
of Granite City. He is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, the
Royal Arcanum and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and both he
and his wife are communicants of the Catholic church.
On the 29th of June, 1910, was solemnized the marriage of
Mr. Harris to Miss Grace G. Grote, daughter of Nelson and Mar-
garet (Fitzgerald) Grote, the latter of whom still resides at East
St. Louis, Mr. Grote having died in November, 1914. Mr. and
Mrs. Harris have three children, whose names and respective dates
of birth are here noted: John B., Jr., April 19, 1911; Genevieve,
September 2, 1912; and Mary Frances, June 17, 1914.
JOHN ROOT. One of the old and prominent lawyers of Henry
County is John Root, now senior member of the firm of Root &
Root at Galva.
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 739
John Root was born October 25, 1849, at Bishop Hill, Illinois,
the only child of John and Charlotte Louise (Johnson) Root. Both
his parents were natives of Sweden, and his father after coming
to the United States fought as a volunteer in the American army
during the war with Mexico, and soon after the close of that strug-
gle located in Henry County, Illinois.
John Root received his early education in the common schools
at Bishop Hill. Subsequently attended Bryant & Stratton's Business
College of Chicago, and Knox College at Galesburg. In 1876 he
took up the study of law in the office of Judge Bigelow, and in
order to defray his expenses while preparing for his profession
taught school during the winter and worked on a farm in the sum-
mer. He was admitted to the Illinois bar at Chicago in March,
1880, and nine years later, in 1889, completed the course and was
graduated from the old Union College of Law at Chicago. Mr. Root
began his active practice at Galva and for twenty-five years con-
ducted a large and individual practice, having a clientele both in
Henry and adjoining counties. Though not partners, he and Judge
Bigelow had offices together for some time. Mr. Root served as
master in chancery of the Circuit Court from 1899 to iQii-
He has fraternal affiliations with the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America; in politics is a
progressive and is a member of the. County Bar Association. On
June 22, 1874, he married Betsy Ogren of Bishop Hill. Their five
children are: Vincent J. ; Clarence, deceased; Amy L., wife of M.
Peterson of Galva ; Ralph W., an attorney of Galva ; and Earl
VINCENT J. ROOT. Junior member of the firm of Root & Root
at Galva, Vincent J. Root has been an active member of the Illinois
bar for the past ten years and has had a wide experience both as a
lawyer and court reporter.
Vincent J. Root was born on a farm near Bishop Hill, Illinois,
June 27, 1875. His father, who is senior member of the above firm,
has a brief sketch in preceding paragraphs. Vincent Root acquired
his early education in country schools near Bishop Hill, in the public
schools of that town and the high school at Galva, Illinois, and
attended the Bryant & Stratton, and the Metropolitan Business
colleges of Chicago, and for one year was an instructor in the