Church. The pleasant family home is situated at No. 143 West
Ninth Street, Lincoln.
HON. EDWIN C. PERKINS. That thorough preparation in the law
and more or less professional experience open the way for a public
career, has been so often proved in Illinois as to be almost proverbial,
and it may be further admitted that the better the lawyer, the more
sagacious and useful the legislator. A case in point may be men-
tioned when reference is made to the Hon. Edwin C. Perkins, of
Lincoln, Illinois, whose achievements as a thrice-elected member of
the Illinois General Assembly have added laurels to a name already
well known to the state bar.
Edwin C. Perkins was born in West Virginia, May i, 1860, one
of the seven children of Enoch and Elizabeth (Salsberry) Perkins.
The father, a West Virginian, came with his family to Illinois in
1860, and for many years was engaged in successful agricultural
operations here, but at this time is retired and living in the state
of California. Edwin C. Perkins was five years of age when he
accompanied his parents to Illinois, and here he was reared on the
farm, securing his early education in the public schools. Subse-
quently he took a thorough scientific course in the Normal School,
at Valparaiso, Indiana, and entered upon his career as a teacher in
the public schools of Logan County, Illinois, a vocation which en-
listed his energies for a period of six years. In the meantime he
assiduously applied himself during his spare time to the study of
law, and after some preparation in the office of Harts & Humphrey
was admitted to the bar November 22, 1889.
Mr. Perkins at once entered upon the practice of his chosen
calling at Lincoln, and this city has since continued as his home
and as the headquarters of his professional labors. He has built up
806 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
an excellent practice of the most representative class, and has been
connected with much important litigation in the state courts, his
success in which entitles him to a place among the leading legists of
his county. During a long period of years Mr. Perkins has been
connected with the public life of the county. As early as 1890
he was elected city attorney of Lincoln, a capacity in which he served
efficiently for two years, and subsequently became master in chan-
cery, serving as such one term. In 1908 he was first elected a mem-
ber of the Illinois Legislature, and his efficient work in that body
caused his re-election in 1910. In the "landslide" of 1912 he met
with defeat at the polls, but that this election did not really show
the real temper of the people was shown in 1914 when he was
again elected a member of the Legislature. He is known as one of
the active, working members of that body, jealously guarding the
interests of his constituents and being the author of some very bene-
ficial legislation. Mr. Perkins is a thirty-second degree Mason, an
Elk, a Pythian and a Woodman of the World, and is professionally
connected with the Logan County Bar Association. He has always
been a stanch adherent of the principles and policies of the republican
Mr. Perkins was married to Miss Josephine Niebuhr, a daughter
of Simon Niebuhr, and to this union there have been born six chil-
dren. Mr. Perkins is a member of the Presbyterian Church, while
Mrs. Perkins belongs to the Methodist Episcopal faith.
HON. JOHN L. BEVAN. In summing up the prominent men of
Logan County, Illinois, it is a subject of remark that in this list
the law is so generally represented, this profession more than any
other contributing to able and effective citizenship. Not only does
the county seat show a balance in this direction, but lesser communi-
ties lead in the same way and a case in point is found in Hon. John
L. Bevan, who, for many years, has been most conspicuous in the
public life of Atlanta, identified honorably with the stable business
interests of the town and again and again having been chosen to
serve in high official capacities.
John L. Bevan, senior member of the law firm of Bevan & Bevan,
father and son, was born in Illinois, December 15, 1845. His parents
were Samuel and Elizabeth (Downey) Bevan, whose family con-
tained seven children. Reared on his father's farm, John L. attended
the public schools nearby and still later became a student in Brown
University (Rhode Island), and completed a course in law at Ann
Arbor, Michigan, graduating from the former institution in 1872
and from the latter in 1874. In the latter year he was admitted to
the bar both in Michigan and Illinois, and then established himself
in Logan County, where he has since remained. For a number of
years Mr. Bevan practiced alone, but in 1909 admitted his son.
Frank S. Bevan, to partnership, since when the firm style has been
Bevan & Bevan, comprising one of the strongest law firms in the
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 807
county, and one that has successfully handled some of the most
important cases of litigation here for years. Not alone have his
professional duties claimed Mr. Bevan for he has other important
accomplishments to his credit, including business enterprise and
political office. He was one of the two organizers of the People's
Bank, of Atlanta, and since its founding has served on its directing
board. In politics his sentiments have identified him always with
the republican party and on numerous occasions he has been called
to public office and has served with honest efficiency as city attorney,
as alderman and also as mayor. During his administration of
municipal affairs, Atlanta enjoyed unexampled prosperity and his
public-spirited efforts are well remembered.
Mr. Bevan was married to Miss Armana S. Thomas, who is a
daughter of Evan J. Thomas, of Welsh extraction. They have
three sons: Lynn J., who is a civil engineer is a resident of the
City of New York ; Carl J., who is cashier of the Exchange Bank,
Genoa, Illinois, and Frank S., who is associated with his father in
the practice o'f law, is a graduate of the Chicago Law University.
Bom members of the firm of Bevan & Bevan are members of the
Logan County Bar Association, and J. L. Bevan belongs to the
fraternal order of Knights of Pythias and Frank S. to the Masons.
HON. T. T. BEACH. Honored as the dean of the Logan County
bar and in many additional connection, Hon. T. T. Beach, senior
member of the prominent law firm of Beach & Trapp, of Lincoln,
Illinois, is numbered with the representative men of this section of
the state. He has seen life in many phases, as a lad on the battle-
field, as a trade worker, as a student and professional man, and in
every situation has won deserved approbation.
T. T. Beach was born in New York, December 18, 1843. His
parents, natives of the State of New Jersey, were Phineas H. and
Martha (Meldrum) Beach, the former of whom was a well-known
contractor for many years. There were eleven children in the
family and all but one survived infancy and developed into 1 sub-
stantial people. While attending the public schools it is probable
that Mr. Beach's practical father urged his son to learn a self-sup-
porting trade, for he became, before he enlisted for service in the
Civil war, a competent carpenter. He was only eighteen years old
when he became a member of the One Hundred and Fiftieth Regi-
ment of New York Volunteer Infantry and, despite his youth, won
distinction as a soldier and his honorable discharge at the close of
the war, in 1865. Circumstances by that time had somewhat changed
his outlook on life and he determined upon a professional future,
and so devoted his time to the study of the law that he was grad-
uated with his degree in 1870, from Lincoln University. In the
following year he was admitted to the bar, established himself in
practice at Lincoln, Illinois, and this city has continued his chosen
home ever since.
808 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
Mr. Beach was married first to Isabel W. Swing, May 3d, 1870,
who died in October, 1878, leaving two daughters, Bessie, who mar-
ried William D. Walters, of Easton, Illinois, and Flora, who still
resides with her father. His second marriage was to Grace A.
Turnbolt, daughter of Darlington and Susan Turnbolt, on August
22d, 1882. Mrs. Beach is a member of the Christian Science
Church, Miss Flora belongs to the Presbyterian Church, and Mr.
Beach, being liberal in his religious views, contributes generously to
any and all churches situated in Lincoln.
In 1874, Mr. Beach took Joseph Hodnett in partnership with him,
in the practice of law, and the partnership of Beach & Hodnett con-
tinued unchanged from that date until 1901, when Harold F. Trapp
entered the firm as a partner, and the firm of Beach, Hodnett &
Trapp continued as such until 1909, when Mr. Hodnett withdrew
from the firm and the firm has since continued in the name of
Beach & Trapp.
The firm so constituted for many years represented exceedingly
important clients and took part professionally in practically all im-
portant litigation for the last thirty years, in Logan County.
Mr. Beach has also served most acceptably in public office, being
state's attorney from 1872 to 1876, during stirring days in Logan
County, and was Master in Chancery of the Circuit Court of Logan
County from 1873 to 1879.
Always supporting the democratic ticket, Mr. Beach is a valued
factor in political circles, although no seeker for preferment for
himself. Public interests, however, interest him, and as an honest
citizen he endeavors to use his influence in what he deems the right
direction as becomes a lover of his country, having proved his loyalty
many years ago in a very definite way. He assisted very materially
in the founding of the Illinois State Bar Association and his inter-
est in this body has never lessened, and he is also a valued member of
the Logan County Bar Association. For many years he has been
identified with the Masonic fraternity. In him is found a firm
friend of education, and many wise measures were adopted during
his ten years of service as a member of the school board of Lincoln.
His library and his congenial friends afford him many pleasurable
hours, and among the latter are the members of the Logan County
Historical Society, of which organization he was elected president
HAROLD F. TRAPP. Perhaps no profession is more instrumental
in promoting those things which make for good citizenship, for
stable industries and for the permanence and justice that make peo-
ple tolerant of each other under widely differing circumstances, than
is that of the law, hence it is not remarkable that ambitious and
liberally educated young men turn to it for a career in life. It opens
many doors to them and its emoluments often are entirely satisfac-
tory. The Logan County bar has many members whose ability has
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 809
won appreciation at home and approval in other sections, and in this
connection mention may be made of a well-known lawyer of the
county seat, Harold F. Trapp, junior member of the law firm of
Beach & Trapp, and a member of the Logan County Bar Associa-
Harold F. Trapp was born at Springfield, Illinois, October 17,
1877, and is one of a family of five children born to his parents,
Frederick and Emma (Rubly) Trapp. The family removed to Lin-
coln, Illinois, December 31, 1885. The public schools of his home
afforded excellent educational training and his opportunities were
extended to the University of Illinois, from which institution he was
graduated in 1899. After his graduation from the College of Law,
University of Illinois, Mr. Trapp studied in the office of Messrs.
Beach & Hodnett of Lincoln until his admission to the bar in April,
in 1900. He ^engaged in the practice of his profession in Lincoln
from the time of his admission, being city attorney in 1900 and 1901.
May i, 1901, he became a member of the firm with which he had
been associated, under the firm name of Beach, Hodnett & Trapp,
which association continued until June i, 1909, when Mr. Joseph
Hodnett retired from the practice of law, and the practice was con-
tinued thereafter in the firm name of Beach & Trapp.
Although affiliated with the democratic party and ever loyal to
its interests, he has ' seldom accepted any political recognition.
As a lawyer he is considered able and conscientious, and his firm
represents many important clients.
Mr. Trapp was united in marriage with Miss Lillian Aitchison,
and they have two children, Harold F. and Robert N. The family
belongs to the Presbyterian Church. In addition to his professional
affiliations, Mr. Trapp belongs to the fraternal order of Elks. As
a citizen he is alert and public-spirited and he makes use of his
natural talents and his educational acquirements in a way creditable
to himself and his community. Mr. Trapp and family reside at No.
619 North Union Street, Lincoln, Illinois.
HON. THOMAS M. HARRIS. A leading member of the Illinois
judiciary is found in the person of Hon. Thomas M. Harris, judge
of the Circuit Court of the Eleventh Judicial District, who was ap-
pointed in February, 1914, to a position on the appellate bench of .the
Fourth District, to succeed the late Judge O. P. Thompson. A
member of the bench and bar of Illinois for more than twenty-two
years, Judge Harris has advanced steadily in his profession by the
reason of the possession of superior talents and abilities, and both
as legist and jurist his record is an eminently honorable one.
Like many of his fellow-members on the Illinois bench, Judge
Harris is a product of the farm, having been born on his father's
homestead in Macoupin County, Illinois, October 21, 1865, one of
the four children born to his parents, John L. and Susan (Lake)
Harris. His father, also a native of Illinois, spent many years in
810 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
this state in agricultural pursuits, but in his declining- years moved
to Iowa, and there passed away July n, 1891. Thomas M. Harris
was reared on the home farm and secured his rudimentary educa-
tion in the public schools of his native county. This was supple-
mented by attendance at the Valparaiso (Indiana) Normal School,
now known as Valparaiso University, and, having decided upon the
law as his field of effort, next entered the office of Blinn & Hoblit,
under whose preceptorship he read law until his admission to the
bar in March, 1893. Immediately thereafter he entered the office
of E. D. Blinn, as a clerk, and in January, 1895, was admitted to
partnership with Mr. Blinn, with whom he continued to practice
until November, 1904, when Mr. Harris was elevated to the bench
as judge of the Circuit Court of the Eleventh Judicial District of
the State of Illinois. He was re-elected to that office in 1909, and in
June, 1915. His assignment to the appellate bench in February,
1914, has been noted.
An unswerving republican in his political views, Judge Harris
has long taken an active participation in the activities of his party.
He has served on several occasions as chairman oi the Logan County
Central Committee of his party and as a member of the Republican
State Central Committee in the year of 1900. Professionally he is
connected with the Logan County Bar Association and the Illinois
State Bar Association, and his fraternal affiliations include member-
ship in the Masonic order, in which he has reached the thirty-second
degree, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Benevolent and
Protective Order of Elks. As a lawyer, Judge Harris was known as
an able practitioner, with a profundity of legal knowledge, whose
success in numerous important cases freely entitled him to consider-
ation among the leading legists of his day and locality ; as a judge
he has distinguished himself by the fairness of his decisions, the
courtesy of his manner, and the improvements in procedure which
have facilitated the work of his court.
Judge Harris was married to Miss Belle Johnston, of Logan
County, a daughter of the late William and Margaret Johnston,
early and prominent settlers of Logan County. Three children have
been born to this union, namely : Homer B., Dean J. and Margaret
E. Mrs. Harris and their children are all members of the Methodist
Louis O. WILLIAMS. The bar of DeWitt County is composed
largely of young men and is a talented body, in which to secure pre-
eminence indicates the possession of unusual qualifications for the
law. Among the most successful is Louis O. Williams, who is
honorably and efficiently serving as state's attorney. He also enjoys
a large and lucrative private practice.
Louis O. Williams is a native of DeWitt County, Illinois. He
was born February 22, 1874, being the eldest child of James C.
and Catherine (Davenport) Williams. James C. Williams is a
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 811
native of Indiana, and is a descendant of the old Williams family of
Virginia. His direct ancestor of the Virginia Williams family was
George Slaughter Williams who emigrated to Kentucky after the
close of the Revolution. James C. Williams was a son of Simon
Williams and Sally (Spilman) Williams, who were married in
Allen County, Kentucky, September 26, 1836. Catherine Davenport
was a daughter of Levi and Mary (Hutchin) Davenport. Levi
Davenport descended from the old Davenport family of New Eng-
land, and Mary Hutchin was a descendant of Hugh Hutchin, who
settled in Mansfield Township, Burlington County, New Jersey, in
the year 1793.
Louis O. Williams was born and reared on a farm. His early
education was obtained in the country school. Later he attended
high school and was licensed as a teacher. Then for several years
he alternated a^year of teaching with a year in college until the
year 1900, when he was graduated from the law school of the
Valparaiso University. Besides his studies in law, he had taken
general courses in literature and science. Mr. Williams was
admitted to the bar of Illinois in 1905, and established himself in
the practice of his profession at Clinton in 1907 where he has since
resided. In 1912 Mr. Williams was elected state's attorney of
DeWitt County and to the faithful performance of his duties in
that office, he has since largely devoted his time. In his official life,
he has shown himself a man of prudence and courage, and has the
respect of the law abiding people of his county. Mr. Williams has
always been identified with, and is an earnest supporter of the
democratic party. He is devoted to his profession and is a tire-
less worker, and owns a large law library in which he spends the
greater portion of his time.
In March, 1903, Mr. Williams was married to Miss May C.
Mills, who is a daughter of Jedidiah and Minerva (Flack) Mills.
Mr. and Mrs. Williams have had born to them three children : Emer-
son M., Dorothy M., and Grace M. The family has its church
relations with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Mr. Williams is a man of literary tastes, and during his leisure
hours is preparing a history of the old families of DeWitt County.
He is a member of the Illinois State Historical Society, and has
fraternal connections with the Masons, Odd Fellows and Knights
of Pythias. Mr. Williams takes an active part in the community
life of his home city, where he teaches a doctrine of work. He has
often been heard to say that the most acceptable prayer that can
be offered to the Deity is honest, earnest and conscientious work.
THOMAS J. WELCH. Now well known as a Kewanee attorney,
with the office of city attorney, was born September nth, 1884,
at Moline, Illinois, the oldest of six children of Thomas and Sarah
Mr. Welch is a graduate of Notre Dame University and Yale
812 COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS
University Law School. He worked his way through college by
accepting any employment which could be had. In college, he
was prominent in athletics, being a member of the varsity baseball
and track teams. While a student at Yale University, he was the
winner of the Munson Cash Debating Prize.
Mr. Welch was admitted to the Illinois bar at Ottawa, in Febru-
ary, 1907, and for eighteen months was in practice at Rock Island
with the law firm of Kenworthy & Kenworthy. He then formed a
partnership at Kewanee with Anderson & Andrews, under the name
Anderson, Andrews & Welch, and practiced in that relationship for
more than two years.
In 1909, he succeeded Judge H. S. Pomeroy as city attorney of
Kewanee, and in 1911 was re-elected by the city council for the
regular four year term, and again in May, 1915, was re-elected for
another four year term. As city attorney of Kewanee, Mr. Welch
has shown himself to be an able prosecutor and a careful and effi-
cient officer in looking after all of the city's legal affairs.
On June 30, 1914, he married Miss Mabel, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Bartlett Bunton, of Kewanee. Mrs. Welch graduated from
the Kewanee High School in 1905 and Brown's Business College,
of Galesburg, in 1906, and for seven years was a valuable member
of the editorial department of the Kewanee Daily Star-Courier. She
is active in social circles, a member of the Daughters of the American
Revolution and the Kewanee Women's Club. Mr. and Mrs. Welch
have a son, Robert Gibson, born July 9, 1915.
Mr. Welch is affiliated with a number of fraternal societies ; is
a member of the Yale Club of Chicago, and Notre Dame Club of
Chicago. In politics he is a republican.
ALMON H. LINN. A member of the Henry County bar since
1900, Mr. Linn is now senior partner of the firm of Linn & Tyler
at Cambridge. He has an extensive practice in both the state and
Federal courts, and is one of the leading republicans of Henry
County. In 1912 he was a republican primary candidate for con-
gressman from the Fifteenth District and put up a strong fight
against his opponent, who had represented the district for eighteen
Almon H. Linn was born near North Henderson, in Mercer
County, Illinois, August 9, 1872, a son of Zachery Taylor and Eliza-
beth (Henderson) Linn. The Linn ancestors were five brothers
who emigrated from the north of Ireland to America prior to the
Revolutionary war, in which all of them fought as soldiers under
Washington, and only one came out of the struggle alive. He set-
tled in Pennsylvania, and later descendants moved out to Henry
County, Illinois. Zachery Taylor Linn was born in Morrow County.
Ohio, and is now a resident of Alpha, Illinois. His wife was born
at Brownsville, Pennsylvania, and died when her only child, Almon.
was eight years of age.
COURTS AND LAWYERS OF ILLINOIS 813
Air. Linn attended country schools until fifteen years of age, was
in the public schools at Alpha until about eighteen, and then began
working in his father's lumber yard and continued that employ-
ment until twenty-two years old. It was while filling bills of lumber
in his father's office that he determined upon the study of law, and
after that directed all his efforts to a professional education. He
spent one year in Brown's Business College at Galesburg, and in
October, 1896, entered the law department of the University of
Michigan, where he was graduated June 22, 1899, LL. B. In Octo-
ber of the same year he was admitted to the bar before the Illinois
Supreme Court at Springfield, and on March 21, 1901, located at
Cambridge. Mr, Linn carried on a successful general practice alone
until February, 1913, when Burton A. Tyler, also a graduate of the
University of Michigan, formed a partnership with him under the
present firm name of Linn & Tyler.
Mr. Linn served as police magistrate at Cambridge for five years.
He is a member of the Illinois State Bar Association and is affiliated
with the Masonic fraternity. His offices are in the Cambridge State
Bank Building. His chief recreation is travel, and he has seen many
of the most interesting parts of America. On June 25, 1901, he
married Miss Leota Wilson, daughter of George W. Wilson, of
CHARLES E. MULLIGAN. What Charles E. Mulligan has won in
the way of professional attainments and reputation at Kewanee,
where he is recognized as one of the ablest young lawyers, has all
been the result of a strenuous career of hard work. At the age of
eighteen he made up his mind to become a lawyer, and worked in-
dustriously and saved his money during the summers in order to
defray expenses through college.
He was born at Biggsville, Illinois, November 22, 1881, and his
father moving to Kewanee subsequently he received an education in
the public schools there until fifteen. After that he spent three years
as a student of the classics and general course in St. Bede's College