Frederick B Richards.

The Black Watch at Ticonderoga and Major Duncan Campbell of Inverawe online

. (page 8 of 10)
Online LibraryFrederick B RichardsThe Black Watch at Ticonderoga and Major Duncan Campbell of Inverawe → online text (page 8 of 10)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

deroga and Crown Point; and on him devolved the command of
the 42nd during the greater part of the campaign of 1760 which.


ended with the capture of Montreal and the expulsion of the French
from Canada.

Reid remained in America with the 42nd until Dec., 1761,
when he accompanied it to the West Indies. He served in the
capture of Martinique and at the storming of Morne Tortenson,
on Jan. 24, 1762, was in command of the 1st Battalion of his
regiment. His battalion suffered heavy loss and he was wounded
in two places, but recovered in time to take part in the expedition
against Havana of that same year. After the surrender of Cuba
he returned to America. In 1764 Reid acted as second-in-command
of Colonel Bouquet's arduous but successful expedition against the
Indians on the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers. In the following year
we hear of him fitting out an expedition which was to be sent to
the Illinois country under the command of Captain Thomas Stirling
of the 42nd.

About 1760, Reid married an American lady of Scots descent,
Susanna Alexander, daughter of James Alexander, surveyor-general
of New York and New Jersey. She owned property on Otter
Creek in what is now the State of Vermont, which was added to
and improved by her husband with the result that at the end of
ten years Reid owned "about thirty-five thousand acres of very
valuable land" near Crown Point and had "obtained from the
Governor and Council of New York a warrant of survey for fifteen
thousand more," which he intended to "erect" into a manor.

In 1767 the Royal Highland Regiment left America for Ireland
and Reid presumably accompanied it. In 1770 Reid retired on
half -pay, intending no doubt to settle down to the enjoyment and
improvement of his American estates. However, in 1772 his
tenants were expelled by the people of Bennington "on the pretence
of having claim to that country under the Government of New
Hampshire, notwithstanding that the King in Council had, ten
years before, decreed Connecticut River to be the Eastern Boundary
of New York." In 1775 war broke out with the American colonists,
and though his case finally came before the Commissioners for
American Claims, the only compensation awarded him was a trifling
allowance for mills he had erected and for fees he had paid for
surveys. In May, 1778 his father's estate, Straloch, passed under


the hammer as he was unable to pay the mortgages and his son
could give him no help.

Notwithstanding that he was a comparatively poor man, in
1779-1780 Reid raised at his own expense a regiment of foot, of
which he was appointed colonel. This was called the 95th and was
disbanded in 1783. In 1781 Reid was promoted major-general, and
in 1793 a lieutenant-general. He was appointed colonel of the 88th
Regiment (Connaught Rangers) in November, 1794, and became a
general in 1798. In 1803, when an invasion was hourly expected,
Reid, in response to an order that all general officers not employed
on the staff should transmit their addresses to the Adjutant-Gen-
eral, wrote that though in the eighty-second years of his age "and
very deaf and infirm," he was still ready to use his feeble arm in
defence of his country. He died in the Haymarket on the 6th of
February, 1807, and was buried in St. Margaret's, Westminster.

The General would probably have had but little property to
dispose of at his death, had he not in 1796 succeeded to a valuable
estate of some four or five thousand acres in Nova Scotia, which
was left to him by his cousin, Gen. John Small, "as a mark of ....
respect .... and attachment to the preservation of his name and
representation for succeeding ages." Reid's daughter had made a
marriage of which he disapproved, she had no children, and his
only brother had died in 1762 during the siege of Havana. It was
probably these circumstances that induced him to realize the
property in Nova Scotia and at the time of his death he was worth
some 52,000. This entire fortune, went after the death of his
daughter, to the University of Edinburgh to found a musical
professorship. He also left directions that a concert should be given
annually on or about his birthday to commence with several pieces
of his own composition, among the first of which is that of the
"Garb of Old Gaul," a composition written by Sir Charles Erskine,
but set to music by Reid while major of the 42nd, and which has
ever sence been a regimental march.

Reid also composed several military marches and was esteemed
the best gentleman player on the German flute in England. It may

N. T. Documentary History IV.

Military History of Perthshire pp. 387-395.

From "A Military History of Perthshire'
Officers in the Black Watch 1758-9


safely be predicted that as long as the University exists this old
Perthshire soldier of the 18th century will be remembered as one
of its benefactors.

John Small.

John Small was the third son of Patrick Small, who married
Magdalen Robertson, sister of Alexander Robertson, the father of
General John Reid. Reid and Small were thus not only neighbors
and brother-officers, but first cousins, and were evidently on terms
of close friendship. Born in Strathardle, Atholl, Scotland, in
1730, Small, like many of his countrymen of that date, began his
military career with the Scots Brigade in Holland, being appointed
a 2nd lieutenant in the Earl of Drumlanrig's Regiment when it was
raised for service of the States-General in 1747. How long he
remained abroad is unknown but it is probable that he returned to
England when the regiment was reduced in 1752. He did not,
however, obtain a commission in the British army until four years
later, when he was appointed lieutenant in the 42nd, just prior to
its departure for America. So far as is known, Small took part
in all the campaigns in which his regiment was engaged from 1756
to 1763. He fought at Ticonderoga in 1758, served with General
Amherst's successful expedition to Lake Champlain in the following
year, and took part in the operations which completed the conquest
of Canada in 1760. After the surrender of Montreal he was sent
in charge of French prisoners to New York, and we learn from
a brother officer that General Amherst had great confidence in him,
and frequently employed him "on particular services." Two years
later he served in the capture of Martinique and Havana and
obtained his promotion as captain.

At the peace of 1763 Small was placed on half-pay, but,
according to General Stewart, he was almost immediately put on
the full-pay list of the North British Fusiliers (21st) and when in
1767 the Black Watch left for Europe, most of the men of that
regiment who had volunteered to stay in America joined the Fusi-
liers in order to serve under Small, who was "deservedly popular"
with them. Small, however, cannot have served long with the 21st,
for in the same year in which the Black Watch left America he
was appointed "major of brigade" to the forces in North America.


It was probably during the interval between the Seven Years' War
and the war with the Americans that he began to acquire the
property in Nova Scotia, part of which he afterwards bequeathed
to his cousin, John Reid. We have some indication that during
this period he interested himself in local politics and formed the
friendship of at least one American which was of value to him later.

Small served throughout the War of Independence though but
rare glimpses are obtained of him. He was present as a brigade-
major at the battle of Bunker Hill, June 17, 1777, and in the course
of that day his life was saved by the American General Putnam,
who, seeing Small standing alone at a time when all around him
had fallen, struck up the barrels of his men's muskets to save
his life. Shortly after this, Small raised the 2nd battalion of the
Royal Highland Regiment and was appointed major-commandant.
In 1778 the regiment was numbered the 84th and in 1780 he was
promoted to lieutenant-colonel-commandant of his battalion. He is
said to have joined Sir Henry Clinton at New York in 1779, but it
is more probable that he was stationed for the most part in Nova
Scotia. In March, 1783, Small and his battalion were at Fort
Edward, New York, and in the following autumn the battalion was
disbanded at Windsor, Nova Scotia, where many of the men settled
and formed the present town of Douglas.

Small, once more on half-pay, returned home and in 1790 was
promoted colonel and three years later was appointed lieutenant
governor of Guernsey. In October, 1794, he became major-general
and on the 17th of March, 1796, he died in Guernsey and was
buried in the church of St. Peter Port.

General Stewart of Garth wrote of General John Small that
"No chief of former days ever more fairly secured the attachment
of his clan, and no chief, certainly, ever deserved it better. With
an enthusiastic and almost romantic love for his country and coun-
trymen, it seemed as if the principal object of his life had been to
serve them, and promote prosperity. Equally brave in leading
them in the field, and kind, just, and conciliating in quarters, they
would have indeed been ungrateful if they regarded him otherwise

Stewart II. 143. Military Hist., of Perthshire, pp. 396-399.


than as they did. There was not an instance of desertion in his

James Stewart of Urrard.

James Stewart of Urrard, obtained a company in the 42nd,
July 18th, 1757. He was wounded at Ticonderoga, 1758. He sold
out after the peace.

Stewart I, 306, 359. N. T. Col. MSS., p. 729, Vol. 10.

Thomas Stirling.

Thomas Stirling, second son of Sir Henry Stirling, of Ardoch,
was born October 8, 1731. He began his military career in the
Dutch service, being given a commission as ensign in the 1st
Battalion of Col. Marjoribanks' Regiment on the 30th of September,
1747, and was probably placed on half-pay when the establishment
of the Scots Brigade was reduced in 1752. On the 24th of July,
1757, having been nominated by James, Duke of Atholl, and having
raised the requisite number of men, he was gazetted captain of one
of the three companies added to the 42nd in that year. In
November, 1757, he sailed for America, where he served with his
regiment in the campaigns of the ensuing years, though he was not
present at the first attack on Ticonderoga, owing to the fact that
the new companies had been left behind to garrison Fort Edward.
He took part in the capture of Martinique in 1762 and was wounded
but was able to serve in the capture of Havana later in that year.
He returned with his regiment to America and in August, 1765,
was sent in command of a company to take possession of Fort de
Chartes on the Mississippi. After holding this fort that winter
and spring, he returned with his detachment to the regiment in
June, 1766. The following year the 42nd left America and for
upwards of eight years was quartered in Ireland, after which it was
for a short time" in Scotland. In 1770 Stirling was gazetted major
of the regiment, and 1771 lieutenant-Colonel-commandant. Hos-
tilities broke out with the Americans in 1775, and, Stirling, having
in five months raised the strength of his regiment from 350 men to
1.200, returned with it in the following spring to America, where
he commanded it continuously for three years during the war. He
took part in the engagement at Brooklyn, the attack on Fort


Washington, the expedition to Pennsylvania, battle of Monmouth,
and others. During 1778-9 he was stationed at or near New York.
In June, 1779, he accompanied a force under General Mathews
through New Jersey in an attempt to rally the supposed loyalists
of that state. This was unsuccessful and ended in the destruction
of the town of Springfield. General Stirling was so severely
wounded while leading the attack that he could take no further
part in the war. His thigh was broken and fearing to be rendered
incapable of further service he refused to have it amputated. He
recovered and was 1 invalided home but he does not appear after this
to have been ever again fit for active duty. In 1782 he was
promoted major-general and appointed colonel of the 71st Foot, but
his regiment was disbanded the following year. His services were
rewarded with a baronetcy and in 1790, he became colonel of the
41st Regiment. In 1796 he was promoted lieutenant-general, and
in 1799 he succeeded his brother in the baronetcy of Ardock. He
attained the rank of general in 1801 and died unmarried on the
9th of May, 1808.

Kenneth Tolmie.

Kenneth Tolmie was commissioned a lieutenant in the 42nd
Highlanders, 23rd January, 1756, and promoted to the Command
of a Company 27th July, 1760. His name is dropped after the
Peace of 1763.

Wilson's Orderly Book, p. 166.

Alexander TurnbuU.

Alexander Turnbull of Stracathro, appointed ensign, June 3,
1752; lieutenant, Sept. 27, 1756; captain, Aug. 14, 1762. After 11
years of service, he went on half -pay in 1763 ; full pay of the 32nd
Foot. He died in 1804 with rank of major.

Stewart of Garth, Appendix.




From A Military History of Perthshire, pages 51, 52, and
The Black Watch Chronicle, 1913, pages 6-8.

No. 1 Company.

Colonel and Captain John, Earl of Crawford. Died 1748.
Captain-Lieutenant Duncan Mackfarland. Retired 1744.
Ensign Gilbert Stewart of Kincraigie.

No. 2 Company.

Lieutenant-Colonel and Captain Sir Robert Munro, Bart., of Foulis.

Killed at Falkirk 1746.
Lieutenant Paul Macferson.
Ensign Archibald Macknab, younger son of the Laird of Macnab.

Died Lieut. General, 1790.

No. 3 Company.

Major and Captain George Grant. Removed from the service by

sentence of Court-martial, 1746.

Lieutenant John MacKenzie of Rencraig (?Kincraig).
Ensign Collin Campbell.

No. 4 Company.

Captain Collin Campbell, Jr., of Monzie. Retired 1743.
Lieutenant Alexander Macdonald

Ensign James Campbell of Glenfalloch. Died of wounds at Fon-

No. 5 Company.

Captain James Colquhoun of Luss. Promoted to be Major. Re-
tired in 1748.

Lieutenant George Ramsay.
Ensign James Campbell of Stronslanie. 1


No. 6 Company.

Captain John Campbell of Carrick. Killed at Fontenoy.
Lieutenant John MacLean of Kingairloch.
Ensign Dougall Stewart (of Appin?).

No. 7 Company.

Captain Collin Campbell of Balliemore. Retired.

Lieutenant Malcom Frazer, son of Culduthel." Killed at Bergen-op-

Zoom, 1747.
Ensign Dougal Stewart.

No. 8 Company.

Captain George Munro of Culcairn, brother of Foulis. Killed 1746.
Lieutenant Lewis Grant of Auchterblair.
Ensign John Menzies of Comrie.

No. 9 Company.

Captain Dougal Campbell of Craignish. Retired in 1745.

Lieutenant John Mackneil.

Ensign Gordon Graham of Draines. 3

No. 10 Company.

Captain John Monro of Newmore. Promoted to be Lt. Col. 1743;

retired 1749.
Lieutenant Francis Grant, son of the Laird of Grant.* Died Lieut.-

General 1782.
Ensign Edward Carrick.
Surgeon George Monro.
Quarter Master John Forbes.
Chaplain Hon. Gideon Murray.
Adjutant John Lindsay. 5

1. Stewart of Garth calls him Dougal Campbell, but he appears as
James in his commission.

2. It is not stated to which companies Lieutenant Malcolm Frajer and
Francis Grant belonged. No other lieutenants are mentioned for Bailie-
more and Newmore; they have therefore been assigned respectively to them.

3. i. e. Drynie. A younger son of the Laird.

4. See note to Lieutenant Malcolm Fraser.

6. Garth gives the adjutant as being Gilbert Stewart (presumably the
ensign to the Colonel's Company.) He probably acted in this capacity until
John Lindsay was gazetted to the regiment.






Col. Lord Jno. Murray, Lt. Gen.

Lt. Col. Francis Grant.
Major Gordon Graham.
Capt. John Reid.
Capt. John McNeil.
Capt. Allan Campbell.
Capt. Thomas Graeme.
Capt. James Abercrombie.
Capt. John Campbell.
Capt. James Stewart.
Capt. James Murray.
Capt. Thomas Stirling.
Capt. Francis McLean.
Capt. Archibald Campbell.
Capt. Alexander St. Clair.
Capt. William Murray.
Capt. John Stuart.
Capt. Alexander Reid.
Capt. William Grant.
Capt. David Haldane.
Capt. Lieut. Robert Gray.
Lieut. John Campbell.
Lieut. Kenneth Tolme.
Lieut. James Grant.
Lieut. John Graham.
Lieut. Alex. Turnbull.
Lieut. Alex. Campbell.
Lieut. Alex. Mclntosh.
Lieut. James Gray.
Lieut. John Small.
Lieut. Arch. Campbell, Sen.
Lieut. James Campbell.
Lieut. Archibald Lament.

Lieut. Gordon Clunes.
Lieut. James Fraser.
Lieut. John Robertson.
Lieut. John Grant.
Lieut. George Leslie.
Lieut. Duncan Campbell.
Lieut. Adam Stuart.
Lieut. Donald Campbell.
Lieut. George Grant.
Lieut. James Mclntosh.
Lieut. Robert Robertson.
Lieut. John Smith.
Lieut. Peter Grant.
Lieut. Alex. Farquharson.
Lieut. John Campbell, Jr.
Lieut. George Sinclair.
Ensign Elbert Herring.
Ensign William Brown.
Ensign Thomas Fletcher.
Ensign Alex. Donaldson.
Ensign William Mclntosh.
Ensign Patrick Sinclair.
Ensign Archibald Campbell, Jun
Ensign John Gregor.
Ensign Lewis Grant.
Ensign Archibald Campbell, Sen
Ensign John Graham.
Ensign Allen Grant.
Ensign John Leith.
Ensign Charles Menzies.
Ensign Archibald McNab.
Ensign John Chas. St. Clair.


Lieut. David Mills. Ensign John Gordon.

Lieut. Simon Blair. Ensign Neil McLean.

Lieut. David Barclay. Ensign Thomas Cunison.
Lieut. Archibald Campbell, Jr. Sergt. Phineas McPherson.

Lieut. Alex Mackay. Chaplain James Stewart.

Lieut. Robert Menzies. Adj. James Grant.

Lieut. Patrick Balneavis. Aldj. Alex McLean.

Lieut. John Campbell, Sen. Quarter Master John Graham.

Lieut. Alex. McLean. Quarter Master Adam Stewart.

Lieut. George Sinclair. Surgeon David Hepburn.

Lieut. John Murray. Surgeon Robt. Drummond.

Agt., Mr. Drummond, Spring Garden.

The following corrections were interlined in ink in the above Army
List of 1759, which was found in the British Museum:

Capt. John Reid was made Major. Augr. 5, 1759.

Capt. John Campbell, removed to the 17th.

Capt. David Haldane, removed to a Regiment at Jamaica.

Lieut. Alexander McLean, made captain of corps of Highlanders.

Lieut. George Sinclair, dead.

Lieut. George Sinclair, removed to Crawford's Regiment.

Ensign Thomas Fletcher, made lieutenant June 1, 1759.

Ensign William Mclntosh, removed to Keith's Corps.

Sergt. Phineas McPherson, made ensign June 1, 1759.

Lauchlan Johnson, made chaplain 20th August, 1759, in place of James

Alexander Donaldson, made adjutant 20th March, 1759, in place of
Alexander McLean.




Albany, 22 May, 1759. Two companies of the Royal Highland
Regiment are also to receive batteaux and load them with provision
and baggage. A sergeant and 12 men of the Rhode Island Regiment
are to relieve a party of the Royal Highland Regiment at the Half-
Way House on the way to Schenectady; they are to march tomor-
row morning and carry six days' provision with them.

Albany, 23d May, 1759. Three captains of the Royal High-
landers summoned among others to a general Court Martial, of
which Col. Francis Grant was President, to set tomorrow at the
Town House in Albany at 3 o'clock to try all prisoners that may
be brought before them.


Albany, 26th May, 1759. An officer and 25 men of the Royal
Highland Regiment with a week's provision to be sent this after-
noon to Widow McGinnes House to protect settlement; one
Company of the Royal Highland Regiment to march tomorrow
morning at 5 o'clock ; they will take their tents and camp equipage
with them, for which a wagon will be allowed on sending to Col.
Bradstreet for it; the officer commanding that company to call
upon the General this night. The General Court Martial of which
Col. Grant is President to meet again tomorrow at 8 o'clock.

Albany, 31st May, 1759. The Royal Highland Regiment to
march tomorrow morning at 5 o'clock to Halfmoon, where they
will take the artillery under their charge and escort the same to
Fort Edward.

Fort Edward, 6th June, 1759. Lieut. Col. Robinson will mark
out the Camp tomorrow morning at 5 o'clock that the Regiments
may take up their ground as they arrive; the Regiments to encamp
* * * Royal Highlanders on the right. A Serj. and 16 men of ye
Royal Highlanders to take the General's Guard.

Fort Edward, 7th June, 1759. The Regiments are not to
change their encampment until the ground be quite dry.

Fort Edward, 8th June, 1759. The Regiments to change their
encampment this day at 12 o'clock.

Fort Edward, 9th June, 1759. Field Officer for the Picquit
tomorrow, Major Graham. The Light infantry of the Highland
Regiment is to practice firing ball tomorrow morning at 6 o'clock,
near the Royal Block House on the other side of the river.

The Royal Highland Regiment to furnish 2 captains, 6 subs.,
and 200 men * * * ; this detachment to take batteaux tomorrow
morning at day break. The Royal Highland Regiment to take 20
batteaux, and 60 of the 200 men with arms to serve as a covering
party. The whole to take provisions for tomorrow with them; they
are to proceed to Col. Haviland's Camp, opposite to Fort Miller,
where the commanding officer will apply to Col. Haviland who will
order the batteaux to be immediately loaded, that the whole party
may return to Fort Edward without loss of time.


Fort Edward, 10th June, 1759. Field Officer for the Picquit
this night Major (Gordon) Graham, for tomorrow Major (Allen)
Campbell, Colonel of the day, Col. (Francis) Grant. Two cap-
tains of the Royal Highlanders to sit with others in General Court
Martial tomorrow morning at 8 o'clock, to try such prisoners as
are on the Provost Guard. The Royal Highlanders and Mont-
gomery's Regiments to send as many men this afternoon at 4
o'clock as are necessary to clean the ground where the Light In-
fantry is to encamp. They will receive axes on applying to the
store-keeper in the Fort, which they will return when they have
finished that work.

Fort Edward, llth June, 1759. Colo, of the day, Col. Grant,
Field Officer of the Picquits, Major Campbell.

Fort Edward, 12th June, 1759. Block Houses to be relieved
tomorrow by the Line * * * the one joining the east side of the
Bridge by 1 Sub., 2 Serjts., 2 corpls. and 24 men of the Royal
Highlanders; the one in the front of the Right of the Royal, one
Serjt., one Corpl. and 10 men of the Royal Highlanders.

Fort Edward, 13th June, 1759. The Royal Highland Regiment
to strick their tents tomorrow at Revallie Beating. The Royal
Highlanders posted in their Block Houses as per ordered of yes-
terday, to be relieved immediately.

Fort Edward, 17th June. The First Battalion Massachusetts
to strike their tents at Revallie Beating and march half an hour
after to the Halfway Brook where the commanding officer will put
himself under the command of Col. Grant.

Fort Edward, 19th June, 1759. The Royal Highlanders will
furnish one Sub. and 30 men towards the working party required
tomorrow to repair the roads.

Fort Edward, 20th June. Capt. Campbell of the Royal High-
land Grenediers is appointed Major to the Battalion of Grenediers
for the Campaign.

Lake George, 22d June, 1759. The Royal Highlanders to
receive one day's fresh beef tomorrow.


Lake George 24th June. Field Officer for tomorrow, Major

Lake George, 26th June, 1759. The Royal Highlanders to
receive 7 days' provisions tomorrow.

Lake George, 27th June. Generals Guard tomorrow, Royal
Highlanders. 2 Companies of Grenediers with 2 Companies of
Light Infantry ordered this morning with as many Rangers and
Indians as Maj. Rogers can furnish, the whole commanded by
Maj. Campbell, to march tomorrow two hours before daybreak by
the same route Col. Haviland took; which post Capt. Johnson will
show, and to remain there whilst the boats are fishing. They are
to take one day's provisions and to go as light as possible as they
are not only a covering party to the boats, but to attack any body
of the enemy they may find.

Lake George, 5th July, 1759. A General Court Martial to
set tomorrow morning at the President's Tent at 8 o'clock for the

1 2 3 4 5 6 8 10

Online LibraryFrederick B RichardsThe Black Watch at Ticonderoga and Major Duncan Campbell of Inverawe → online text (page 8 of 10)