G. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) Ridlon.

History of the ancient Ryedales, and their descendants in Normandy, Great Britain, Ireland, and America, from 860 to 1884 online

. (page 81 of 103)
Online LibraryG. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) RidlonHistory of the ancient Ryedales, and their descendants in Normandy, Great Britain, Ireland, and America, from 860 to 1884 → online text (page 81 of 103)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

land, and as he had no horse, Abraham consented to let him ride his
down the west side of the river, with the agreement that they should be
delivered to him in good condition when their boats landed at their des-
tination. Having disembarked they waited in vain for the stranger and
horses to appear. Mr. Redlon went back and traced his horses till he
found one of them turned out by the roadside ; the other he never heard
from. The recovered horse was too poor to drive, and it was exchanged
for a heifer, and a note for thirty dollars, which was never collected.
Abraham moved his family into some cabins owned by Abraham Town-
send, who had formerly lived at Little Falls Plantation, but had joined
the first company who emigrated to Ohio, and lived there that winter.
He had purchased land of Mr. Wit ham, and was to pay for it by split-
ting rails ; consequently he built a rude lodge in the woods by setting
puncheons in a trench dug in the ground, which were chinked, and
roofed over witli chestnut-bark; in this cabin Mr. Redlon and family lived
through the winter, and subsisted on a few bushels of meal, wild turkeys,
and venison brought to them by two hunters named Van Eaton, who
sometimes tarried with the family through the night. During the win-
ter Abraham and his eldest sons were employed making fence-rails. I
think one of the children was born in this bark-covered camp, and the
family suffered many hardships and deprivations during the time their
land was being cleared and comfortable buildings erected.

The New England families erected a church in their settlement, and
Mr. Witham became their preacher ; the year 1801-2 witnessed a great
revival of religion in the neighborhood, and with many other families


Abraham Redlon and wife became members of the General Baptist Church,
organized at that time, at a place subsequently called " Withamville," and
continued consistent and devoted members of that communion as long as
they lived.

Mr. Redlon died in Decatur County, Ind., in the family of his son
Stephen, with whom he spent his last years, Oct. 9, 1852, aged 89 years.
His wife predeceased him, but I have no date of her death. Thus this
godly pair, after lives of toil and vicissitude, were laid down in graves
far away from kindred ties and native land, but we trust that like his
patriarchal namesake, Abraham, the Friend of God, he and his good wife
Patience were " gathered to their fathers " in the " better country." No
information was had of this family by their friends in New England for
more than seventy years, until the work of collecting materials for this
book was commenced ; the author caused advertisements to be published
in several western newspapers, which resulted in opening a correspon-
dence with the family that has been continued down to the present time.

Abraham Redlon was of medium size, with broad shoulders, short neck,
coarse features, brown hair, hazel eyes, and ruddy complexion. He had
issue twelve children, of -whom hereafter.

Judith Redlon 3 (1), third daughter of Matthias 2 (1), was born in
Pepperellborough (now Saco), Me., Sept. 21, 1763; was married Nov. 29,
1787, to Nathaniel Townsend, of Little Falls Plantation (now Hollis, Me.),
where she spent her days. She was twin-sister to Abraham, who emig-
rated to Ohio. The records date her birth in Biddeford, which then in-
cluded Saco, but her father had moved to Narraganset No. 1, — now
Buxton, Me., — in 1761-2. I do not know' the date of her death; she
was buried by the side of her father on the bank of Saco River, not far
from her home. The Christian name Judith came into the Redlon family
from the Townsend and Gibbins families, early proprietors in Saco, and is
still retained in the western branches of the Redlon family.

Jacob Redloil 3 (2), sixth son of Matthias' 2 (1), was born in Pepperell-
borough, — now Saco, Me., — (some say Narraganset No. 1, now in Bux-
ton,) May 12, 1766; married Dec. 19, 1793, Mary Townsend, of Little
Falls Plantation, and settled in Buxton, on what is known as the "Moses
K. Wells' farm." Here Mr. Redlon cleared a farm, erected buildings,
and lived for many years. It has been said by some old people that
Jacob moved across the river after his father's death, and took care of
his mother in her own house, but I think this a mistake, for that dear old
" Grammy Redlon" was frequently taken across the Saco River in a boat,
when very old, to visit her son Thomas in Hollis. Mr. Redlon died in
Buxton in December, 1817, aged 50 years. He was sick only a few hours;
and was buried by the side of his parents, on the west bank of Saco River,
about one mile below Moderation Village ; now in the pasture of Martin
Foss, a place overgrown by small pines. Mr. Redlon was of medium
height, broad-shouldered, and had a compact muscular form ; his hair was
dark, eyes gray, features coarse, complexion ruddy. Those who remem-
ber "Uncle Jacob" say he resembled his nephew, Matthias Ridlon, late
of Sweeden, Me., with the exception that he was larger and had darker
hair. He was a quiet, serious-minded, kind-hearted man ; one who
could " mind his own business " and live in peace with all the world. All
speak well of " Uncle Jacob." His widow survived him many years, and
died in Sebago, in the family of her son Isaac, but I have no dates.

Magnus Redlon 3 (3), youngest son of Matthias 2 (1), was born in Nar-


raganset No. 1, — now Buxton, Me., — Oct. 3, 1769; married Feb. 21,
1793, Eleanor MacArthur, sister of Hon. Arthur MacArthur, of Liming-
ton (the Mac Arthurs are descended from a Scottish Highland family),
and immediately settled on a tract of land in Durham, Androscoggin
County, Me., at that time a dense wilderness. Here he built him a snug
log-house, and cleared his farm. His knee was badly fractured when he
was a young man, and was lame ever afterwards. He experienced religion
when about forty years of age, and had preaching at his house regularly
for twelve consecutive years by Methodist itinerant ministers. " Uncle
Magnus " was remarkably ingenious, and not only made his wheels and
many implements of husbandry, but erected and finished his farm-build-
ings. He drove a horse-team many years. Refused to pay his propor-
tion of a tax assessed to raise money for the soldiers of the " Madawaska
war," and lost his property by litigation and carelessness in his accounts.
His farm was one of the best in the town. His first wife predeceased
him, and he married a second wife, whose name does not appear. He was
seized with paralysis, while visiting the relatives of his wife in Auburn,
in 1852, and died in a few hours, aged 83 years. He was the only Eedlon
of the third generation remembered or seen by the author of this book.
The remains of Mr. Redlon were carried to Durham by David Bowie, his
adopted son, and buried near his old home, "on a spot of his own choosing."
He was a remarkably fine-looking man ; of medium height, and weighing
one hundred and seventy pounds, his form was beautifully proportioned.
His hair was black, his eyes dark, and his cheeks very red. He became quite
bald in early years; his head was high, well formed, and gracefully poised.
His home was a halfway place between the residence of the Ridlons on
Saco River, and those in the eastern part of Maine, and when visiting, both
branches of the family tarried with "Uncle Magnus" a night on the way.
As he had no children of his own, his nieces and grandnieces frequently
lived with him for months at a time, and all loved the good man for his
kindness of heart, generosity, and social qualities. His home was always
a cheerful place.

Sarah Redlon 3 (2), fourth daughter of Matthias 2 (1), was born in
Narraganset No. 1, — now Buxton, Me., — March 26, 1772 (?) ; was mar-
ried Aug. 19, 1797, to Nathaniel Woodman, of the Narraganset town-
ship No. 1, and settled with her husband on one of " the home lots,"
which the proprietors left as "common land"; consequently they were
" squatters." She had children, and predeceased her husband ; was buried
by the side of her parents on the west bank of Saco River, about one
mile below Moderation Village. "Uncle Nat. Woodman" went to Sears-
mont with his son Joseph in 1828, and died in 1846.

Hannah Redlon 3 (1), youngest daughter of Matthias 2 (1), was born
in Narraganset No. 1, April 4, 1775; was married Nov. 14, 1799, to
Magnus Redlon, her second cousin, from Damariscotta, Lincoln County,
Me. Her husband was called " Uncle Mag," to distinguish him from her
brother Magnus. She died at the age of 42 years (1817), and was buried
by the side of her parents and sisters, on the west bank of Saco River,
near the old Nathaniel Haley homestead. She had auburn hair.

Daniel Ridlon 3 (2), eldest son of Daniel 2 (1), was born in Saco (then
in Pepperellborough), Me., May 4, 1750 ; married Nov. 19, 1778, Jemima
Davis, and settled in Kennebunk ; they did not long remain there, how-
ever, for, according to the records of the first church in Saco, they were


"of Osapy" (Ossipee), — now Limington, — March 12, 1780, and at that
date "renewed their covenant" with the church at Saco, of which they
were members. His farm in Limington was in the south section of the
town, and has since been owned by John Boothby. After living in that
town several years, he removed to Limerick, in the same County, and
settled on a farm in the north-east part of the town, near Cornish line,
where the family continued the rest of their days. He seems to have
been one of the original proprietors of Limerick, but I do not know what
the boundary of that town was at that time. A piece of plate-lead was
dug from the ground about thirty-three years ago, near the bank of Little
Ossipee River, by George Ford; it was about eighteen inches below
the surface, near a large pine-stump, and measured eight by ten inches;
upon one side the names of thirteen of the first proprietors of Limerick
are inscribed, with the date "Anno 1772, May 15th," and on the reverse
side the following: " Daniel Hidlon olme animo possessidendi. Witness,
D. King, J. Wingate, Limbrick." Various opinions are held by antiqua-
ries regarding this tablet, which is now in possession of Mrs. Paulina
Osborn, of Kennebunk, Me.

Mr. Rid Ion was living in the family of his son-in-law, Pelatiah Brown,
in 1836; he was then supposed to be 94 years old, but according
to records was but 86. " He died about the year 1850 (so said his son
Ezra) aged one hundred years.'''' His widow is said to have survived him
about two years, and was 99 years and 8 months old at the time of her
death. I cannot vouch for these statements and dates, as I have not been
able to find records. Daniel was not tall, but very broad at the shoulders,
full-chested, and inclined to corpulency in old age. He had sandy hair,
red complexion, coarse features, heavy brows, gray eyes, and in the
prime of life was a powerful man. He was sedate, quiet, peaceful, and a
devoted Christian from early years to the close of his life. The Ridlons
at Hollis used to see this "Uncle Daniel" when children, as he came to
visit his uncle Matthias and his cousins there, and well remembered his
earnest, powerful prayers in the homes of their parents. My grandfather
once called at his house in Limerick and purchased stock of him.

Epliraim Redloil 3 (1), second son of Daniel' 2 (1), was born in Pepper-
ellborough (now Saco, Me.), Massachusetts Colony, about 1758; married
Betsey Scammon, Aug. 28, 1783, and settled at Saco Ferry, near his birth-
place. He enlisted in the company of John Watkins, in Col. Edmund
Phinney's regiment, at the age of sixteen, and served in that command one
year. After a short rest at home he re-enlisted in John Crane's company
of artillery, and served under Gen. Henry Knox two years as his waiter
at head-quarters. He also served in the capacity of baggage-master.
His first term of service lasted from December, 1775, to Jan. 1, 1776, at
which time he was discharged at Fort George, near Lake George. His
second term lasted from April, 1777, to the close of the war. He was
discharged at Morristown, N. J. Was at the battle of Brandywine, one
of the most severe engagements of the Revolutionary war. After his
second discharge from the army he returned to Saco, married, and devoted
his time to farming, and fishing along the coast with his brothers. At
one time they were captured by a British man-of-war, their stores
transferred to the enemy's ship, and their own craft scuttled and left to
sink. Before being boarded by the British, Ephraim told his brothers
to keep as near him as possible and watch his movements. They were
treated with consideration and allowed the freedom of the deck. Watch-


ing his opportunity, when all but two men were below, Ephraim threw
the hatches down and bolted them ; then seized the two sailors, bound
them to the masts, and placed his brother at the wheel. In a moment the
voice of the commander was heard below, and the following colloquy passed
between the two men: "Who bolted the hatches," cried the captain.
"Big Eph. Ridlon, Sir," was the reply. "Let me up, or I will put you
in irons," responded the officer." "Wait till you get to port first," said
Ephraim. The men below commenced with axes to cut their way through
the deck, but Ephraim gave them the following warning: "The fust one
of you Britishers who puts his head through this deck will git a broken
skull." The birds were well and safely caged and delivered at port in
Boston to the proper authorities. For this service he received a double
pension during life. There are some discrepancies in the account of this
adventure, as related by different members of the family, but the forego-
ing was from his own nephew, who had it direct from Ephraim Ridlon.
He was once on guard at the head-quarters of General Knox, and saw Wash-
ington approaching, whom knowing, he allowed to come near without the
usual precautions. General Washington reprimanded Ephraim for his care-
lessness, but on being assured that he was recognized did not punish him.

Mr. Kidlon was considered the most powerful man on the New Eng-
land coast when in his prime; he could shoulder a barrel of beef, and
thrashed any man who was so reckless as to provoke him to madness. Many
and thrilling are the stories told around the firesides of his descendants,
which were taken from his own lips, and have been handed down from
generation to generation. The sword carried by him in the war of the
Revolution, is now in the possession of Peter Ridlon, of Gardner, Kan. ;
it is a short English "hanger." The great arm-chair in which Ephraim
sat in his last years, is now in the family of his grandson, Joseph-Henry
Ridlon, of Easton, Mass. ; it is about three feet from arm to arm, and the
corner of the bottom comes directly in front ; a massive, antique, and
curious piece of furniture. Mr. Ridlon was a Royal Arch Freemason.
He died when about 75 years of age, and was so large that the door of
his house was removed from its hinges before his body could be taken
out for burial. Have no record of the death of his wife. They had ten
children, of whom hereafter.

Polly Ridlon 3 (1), a daughter of Daniel 2 (1), was born in Saco (then
Pepperellborough), Me. (she was baptized Jan. 24, 1764); was married
Dec. 2, 1783, to Benjamin Scammon, and lived on the "Old Orchard
Road." She was called " Aunt Ben," and was widely known as a most
singular woman. She wanted to be buried in the Cutts Tomb, because,
as she said, " it is more healthy than a grave." She fell into the fire and
was burned so badly that she soon died. Charles Granger, of Saco, drew
a portrait of " Aunt Ben " Scammon many years ago, but it cannot be

Lewis Ridlon 3 (1), third son of Daniel 2 (1), was born in Saco (then
Pepperellborough), Me., March 19, 1765 (he was baptized March 25,
1766) ; married Oct. 18, 1789, Bethesda, daughter of Jeremiah and Beth-
esda (Townsend) Ridlon, of Saco, and settled as a farmer on the " Ferry
Road," near the Saco River. Had issue nine children ; died Dec. 5, 1825.
He was of medium height ; complexion light.

Hannah Ridlon 3 (2), second daughter of Daniel 2 (1), was born in
Saco between 1760 and 1765; was married Aug. 27, 1777, to Samuel
Holmes, a relative of Abigail Holmes, who was the wife of John Redlon


before mentioned, cousin of the subject of this notice. This couple
settled in Limerick, Me., but subsequently removed to Camalis, Onanda-
ga County, N. Y., where she probably died.

Gibbius Ridlon 3 (1), a son of Daniel 2 (1), was born in Saco, Me. (then
Pepperellborough), Aug. 10, 1770 ; married Lucretia, daughter of Jere-
miah and Bethesda (Townsend) Ridlon, and settled at " Old Orchard" in
his native town. In 1794 he and wife were members of the church in
Saco. His real estate and personal property in 1797 was valued at nine
hundred and fifty-two dollars. He died in Saco. Eight children, of
whom hereafter.

Richard Ridlon 3 (1), a son of Daniel 2 (1), was born in Saco, Me. (no
dates appear) ; married Sally Scammon, and settled in his native town
on the "Ferry Road." He carried on farming in a small way, but fol-
lowed the sea the most of his time. He was drowned on his passage
home from Boston ; he had a lame arm in a sling, and it was thought he
must have been injured and knocked overboard by the main boom in the
night. His wife, by whom he had five children, died in Saco, Feb. 25,

James Ridlon 3 (2), youngest son of Daniel 2 (1), was born in Saco,
Me., June 19,1779; married March 12, 1804, to Martha Williams, and
settled at "Old Orchard" in his native town. His first wife died Aug.
11, 1812, and he married, secondly, May 20, 1821, to Mary Williams, sup-
posed to be a sister of Martha. Mr. Ridlon died March 2, 1834, aged 55
years; he had issue five children, of whom hereafter.

Alice Ridlon 3 (1), youngest daughter of Daniel 2 (1), was born in Saco
(baptized March 6, 1768); was married Nov. 3, 1789, to Joseph Davis, a
seaman, and lived in Biddeford. Mr. Davis either died or was lost at sea,
and she married, secondly, John Lowe, familiarly known as " Jack Lowe."

Jeremiah Ridlon 3 (3), eldest son of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in Saco,
Me., Oct. 7, 1761 ; married Bethesda Townsend (it is a little singular that
he and his father should marry women of the same name, but the records
so represent), and settled in his native town. He is not known to have
had a family ; died or was drowned when a young man. His wife died in
1841, aged 78 years.

Bethesda Ridlon 8 (1), eldest daughter of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in
Saco, Me., Aug. 12, 1763 (baptized Oct. 9, 1763), and was married Oct. 18,
1789, to Lewis Ridlon, her cousin; lived on the "Ferry Road," and had a
large family.

Margaret Ridlon 3 (1), second daughter of Jeremiah 2 (1), Avas born
in Saco, Me., June 17, 1765; was baptized April 25, 1766; died Aug. 9,
1811, and was buried on her father's farm. She was a maiden lady of
excellent qualities ; dearly beloved.

John Ridlon 3 (3), second son of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in Saco, Me.,
in 1767, and died Oct. 16th of that year, aged 63 days.

Lucretia Ridlon 3 (1), third daughter of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in
Saco, Me., Feb. 7, 1769 (she was baptized July 1, 1770) ; was married to
her cousin, Gibbins Ridlon, and lived at "Old Orchard" in her native

Abraham Ridlon 3 (3), third son of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in Saco,
Me., April 11, 1771, and lived with his parents as long as they survived, a
single man ; but at the age of seventy-one he married Katharine Cleaves,
and continued to reside in Saco. His sister Bethesda and her children


lived in his house at one time while she was a widow. Nathaniel Ridlon,
his nephew, lived with hira when young. At the time of Abraham's mar-
riage, there was great surprise in the neighborhood, in consequence of his
advanced years, and the following lines were recited by 'Squire Billings
at the time he performed the ceremony, but the prayer in the closing line
was not answered : —

" When Abraham's seventieth year had fled,
He thought with Katharine he would wed ;
May heaven bless the happy pair,
And grant to them a noble heir."

Nathaniel Ridlon 3 (1), fourth son of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in Saco,
Me., Aug. 5, 1773; married Nov. 3, 1799, Lydia Scammon of the same
town, and settled on a farm on the "Ferry Road." Mr. Ridlon was tall,
and had dark hair and eyes. He was drowned in Saco River Oct. 25, 1816,
having had issue six children, of whom hereafter.

MagllUS Ridlon 3 (4), fifth son of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in Saco, Me.,
July 2, 1776; married Aug. 31, 1804, Sarah Deering, of Saco, and is sup-
posed to have died young, issueless.

Susanna Ridlon 3 (3), fourth daughter of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in
Saco, Me., Aug. 15, 1779, and probably died young.

John Ridlon 3 (4), youngest son of Jeremiah 2 (1), was born in Saco,
Me., May 11, 1783, and probably died when young and unmarried. But
few of this family lived to old age.

Elizabeth Redlou 3 (1), only child of Jacob 2 (1), — the youngest son of
Magnus, the original ancestor of this family, and his wife Elizabeth Young,
— was born in Saco, Me., about the year 1763, and after her father's death
by drowning, was carried to York, the mother's native place, where she
was baptized, July 28, 1765, by the name "Betty." I do not know what
became of this child, but presume there are now families in York in whose
blood is a strain derived from the good old Norman stock through the
Redlons of Saco.


Isaac-Lane Redlon 4 (1), eldest son of David 3 (1), was born in Bux-
ton, Me., Sept. 25, 1784; married Deborah Hanson about the year 1808,
and died when a young man, issueless. His widow married, secondly, to
Daniel Decker, of Hollis, and was baptized in Saco River when rising
ninety years of age. She has been dead but a few years, and attended to
the care of her house until about ninety-four years of age.

Susanna Redlon 4 (4), eldest daughter of David 3 (1), was born in
Buxton, Me., Aug. 18, 1786; was married Feb. 22, 1807, to Edward Gor-
don, of Phillipsburgh (now Hollis).

Ruth Redlon 4 (1), second daughter of David 3 (1), was born in Bux-
ton, Me., Sept. 13, 1790, and married to Robert Hutchinson, of Litchfield,
Me. Died at Dublois, Me., in 1874.

Isaac-Hancock Redlon 4 (2), eldest son of Ebenezer 3 (2), was born in
Buxton, Me., March 10, 1781 ; married Feb. 27, 1806, Mercy, daughter of
Benjamin and Mercy (Moulton) Emery, and settled in his native town,
near the "Duck Fond," so called. He was a successful farmer, and kind-
hearted, honest man. He was quite tall and well formed ; had light com-
plexion. Died Nov. 14, 1834, aged 53 years, leaving a widow and large
family of children, of whom hereafter.


AlllOS Redlon 4 (1), second son of Ebenezer 3 (2), was born in Buxton,
Me., Dec. 10, 1783; married Oct. 28, 1802, Sally, daughter of Benjamin
and Mercy (Moulton) Emery, of Buxton, sister of the wife of his brother
Isaac. His first wife died Feb. 24, 1823, and Mr. Redlon married, secondly,
Nov. 17, 1825, Elizabeth Berry, of Buxton. He was a farmer and shoe-
maker ; a good and highly-esteemed man. Died March 25, 1860, aged 77
years. Had issue by both wives fifteen children, of whom hereafter.

Mary Redlon 4 (3), eldest daughter of Ebenezer 3 (2), was boi-n in Bux-
ton, Me., Oct. 15, 1785, and was married March 17, 1793, to Jacob Ste-
vens, of Buxton.

Joaillia Redlon 4 (1), second daughter of Ebenezer 3 (2), was born in
Buxton, Me., Oct. 16, 1787, and was married Jan. 23, 1813, to Nathaniel
Harmon, of Buxton. Some of the family say Joanna was afterwards mar-
ried to Jabez Pennell, who took her sister Selecta for his second wife.
She had one son, Charles Harmon, who is now (1882) living in Saco, and
who is a good type of the early Redlons.

Mercy Redlon 4 (1), third daughter of Ebenezer 3 (2), was born in Bux-
ton, Me., Dec. 12, 1789, and was married (according to the town records),
Dec. 14, 1809, to Jabez Pennell, of Buxton.

Elizabeth Redlon 4 (2), fourth daughter of Ebenezer 3 (2), was born
in Buxton, Me., Feb. 3, 1791.

Sarah Redlon 4 (3), fifth daughter of Ebenezer 3 (2), was born in Bux-
ton, Me., April 8, 1794 ; never married. Died in November, 1878, at the
home of John Redlon. She had a portrait in oil, painted by Mr. Tread-

Rebecca Redlon 4 (1), sixth daughter of Ebenezer 3 (2), was born in
Buxton, Me., Aug. 3, 1796, and was married Feb. 3, 1828, to Joseph

Online LibraryG. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) RidlonHistory of the ancient Ryedales, and their descendants in Normandy, Great Britain, Ireland, and America, from 860 to 1884 → online text (page 81 of 103)