G. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) Ridlon.

History of the families Millingas and Millanges of Saxony and Normandy, comprising genealogies and biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, Mulliken and Mullikin, A. D. 800-A. D. 1907; containing names of thirty thousand persons, with copious notes on online

. (page 11 of 109)
Online LibraryG. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) RidlonHistory of the families Millingas and Millanges of Saxony and Normandy, comprising genealogies and biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, Mulliken and Mullikin, A. D. 800-A. D. 1907; containing names of thirty thousand persons, with copious notes on → online text (page 11 of 109)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Campbell, G. H. Harris, W. R. Howard, William Sharp, and P. E. Rathbone.

The City Council was represented by Mayor Cregier and the following Alder-
men: Merling, Madden, Pond, Haynes, Webber, Jackson, Dickson, Horner,
Kelly, Kinney, Long, and Hepburn. W. J. Onahan accompanied the Mayor.
Besides these two delegations there were a number of old citizens, among whom
were Philip A. Hoyne, John Fergus, T. Rankin, William Harper, Jerre Court-
right, J. F. Stafford, J. Y. Scammon, C. DeWolf, C. T. Boggs, Joseph Gray,
Samuel Ellis, Charles Harpell, A. H. Blackall, and Henry Sayres.

Shortly after i o'clock the services were begun by singing by the church quartet,
after which the services were conducted by the Rev. Black, who delivered an ad-
dress full of feeling over his old friend. He said: " Blessed are the dead that die
in the Lord, for their works will follow them, thus saith Revelation. Life and
death are so entwined that as soon as we begin to live we begin to die, reminding
one of the shortness of life and the certainty of death. It is the destiny of every
person here. Mr. Milliken was a good laborer. Born Aug. 31, 1813, in New
England, he came to Chicago in 1836, and in 1854 he was elected Mayor of your
city, and he filled several official positions. He served you well and has your
praises now for the services. The younger men of this audience may regard his
life as an example to follow. It is better to live well than to live long, but when like
him who lies here, we can live well and live long, too, then it is a life well spent."

The quartet then sang a hymn, after which the audience passed by the remains
and out of the church. The William B. Warren Lodge delegation took charge
of the body and bore it from the church to Rose Hill, where it was interred in
the Milliken lot with appropriate Masonic ceremonies.

At a meeting of the Chicago City Council held Dec. 11, 1889, Aldermen Dixon,
Campbell, and Cullerton, the special committee on resolutions, offered the fol-
lowing memorial in honor of the late Isaac L. Milliken: —

Whereas, It has pleased the All-wise Providence to call to Himself Isaac
L. Milliken, ex-Mayor of this city, one of her early pioneers.

Whereas, The Hon. Isaac L. Milliken, during his active and honorable life ren-
dered such services in the early history of this city as to endear his memory to
every citizen of this city and State, lending his efforts and influence in all matters
calculated to develop her capacity for future prosperity, and to make this city
the great center of the Northwest: therefore be it

Resolved, That the City Council of Chicago respectfully tender to the bereaved
family of the late Isaac L. Milliken our sincere and heartfelt sympathy in their
sad bereavement; and be it further

Resolved, That these resolutions be spread upon the records of this Council,
and that a copy of the same be engrossed and forwarded to the family of the de-
ceased. The resolutions were adopted by a rising vote.

3. Arthur Milliken'^ (2), second son of Amos^ (1), was b. in Effingham, N.H.,
Nov. 10, 1815; m. Apr. 28, 1842, to Caroline Lowell, of Portland, Me. He
went from Saco to Portland when a young man and was employed as clerk for
George Libl^y several years. He was keeper of the Deering Almshouse for nine
years; afterwards Street Commissioner and a farmer. He resided in Westbrook,
now anne.xed to Portland, where he d. Dec. 18, 1890, and was buried in the
Evergreen Ccmeterv. His widow is still living with her two maiden daughters
on the old homestead. Children named as follows:


I. Sarah F. Milliken*, b. May 12, 1843; unmarrifd.
II. Alfreda ^III.I.IKE^■^ b. May 27, 1845; unmarried.
III. Arthur S. MII.I.IKI■:N^ b. June 5, 1865; m. Liz/.ik White, daughter of
Henry P. and Sarah (Weymouth) While, of Portland, Me., who was b.
Feb. II, 1864. He attended the pubHc schools of Deering, and West-
brook Academy. Was clerk cij^ht years for Thomp.son I't Fowler, and
then engaged in the meat and provision business on Commercial Street,
and is now in the same Inisiness on the corner of Milk and Market
Streets. Children: Waller L.^ b. Julv 28, 1887, and EdithC.'', b. June
28, i88q.

4. Lois S. Milliken^ (1), second daughter of Amos" (1), b. in Ffilngham, X.H.,
Feb. 12, 1817; was m. Oct. 14, 1841, to Israel G. Wakefield of Saco, who was
b. in Nov., 1813, and d. Feb. 12, 1875. ^^ was employed as a second overseer
in the mills of Biddcford, Me., for many years. His widow d. Dec. 18, 1883.
They had four children, named as follows:

I. Georgiaxa Wakefield, b. July 3, 1842; m. Dec. 11, 1875, to Augus-
tine W. Dyer, of HoUis, Me. He is a farmer. No children,
n. Sarah J. Wakefield, b. in 1846, and d. 1848.

III. Fr.axklin a. Wakefield, b. Aug. i, 1848; m. Nov. 10, 1874, Sarah
Guilford and has one son. Residence, Lawrence, Mass.

IV. CHLA.RLES C. Wakefield, b. May 12, 1853; d. May 8, 1874.

5. Moses S. Milliken^ (1), third son of Amos" (1), was b. in Effingham, N. H.,
May 27, 1820; m. July 11, 1841, to Lucy A. Clark. He was a boy of fifteen or
sixteen w^hen the family moved back to Saco, ]\Ie., where he learned the baker's
trade, at which he worked for several years. He then became a stone mason
and was employed in building the foundation of some of the Biddeford Mills,
and was also employed by the York aNfanufacturing Com])any in Saco for a num-
ber of years. For eleven years he was on the police force of Biddeford. He
enlisted in the 27th Maine Regiment, and served about ten months, and upon
his return embarked in the retail meat and provision business, which he continued
for eighteen years till he retired to his farm in Biddeford. He served on the
Board of Aldermen in the city for three }"ears. He was always interested in farm-
ing and belonged to the York County Agricultural Society, at one time serving
as its Treasurer and Trustee. He was a communicant of the Foss Street Metho-
dist Church in Biddeford, and at the time of his death was one of its Trustees.
He also belonged to the Sheridan Post of the Grand Army. He d. Nov. 17, 1888,
aged 68 yrs. odd. Lucy A., his wife, d. Nov. 21, 1891, aged 71 yrs., 3 mos.
Interred in Greenwood Cemetery, Biddeford.

Mr. Milliken was a man of strong and settled convictions and a patriotic and
respected citizen. He po.ssessed a discriminating mind and was found on the
right side of all great moral questions.

To this couple were b. seven children, of whom with the 8th generation.

6. David Milliken^ (1), fourth son of Amos" (1), was b. in Effingham. N. H.,
Nov. 17, 1822; m. Apr. 5, 1844, to Philen.a. Jane Johnson. He passed his
boyhood for ten or twelve years with his parents in Freedom and Eaton, N. H.

Going to ALiine when a boy, he attended the public schools and Westbrook
Seminary, and when about eighteen years of age let himself for a term of two
years to a Scotchman, by the name of Captain Wright, who had charge of the
dyeing for the York Manufacturing Comj)any of Saco. The compen.sation for
his services agreed upon being '' Sixty Dollars ($60) a year and instructitm in the


art of dyeing." After learning his trade he worked at it most of the time for sev-
eral years. The only exception being that he taught school several winters.

In the winter of 1852-53 he went to Lewiston, Me., to take charge of the
dyeing in the new mill of the Bates Manufacturing Company just starting up,
and remained there as overseer until the fall of 1855, when he went West, spend-
ing the winter in Chicago, clerking and reading law in the office of his brother,
Judge Milliken. In the sprmg of '56, he went to Monee, Will Co., 111., about
thirty-si.x miles south of Chicago, and engaged in farming. For the next seven
or eight years he carried on a farm, and at the same time represented his town
on the Board of Supervisors of Will Co. ; was also Justice of the Peace and Trial
Justice for that district. He taught school nearly every winter during his resi-
dence in Illinois.

During the first two or three years of the war he was captain of a military
company known as the "Monee Guards," and during that time assisted in en-
listing and drilling a good many men for the army, and in the summer of 1864
was commissioned Captain by Governor Yates and opened a recruiting office in
the city of Joliet.

The Twentieth Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry having been badly cut
up, in fact, nearly annihilated, in one of the great battles of the war, he enlisted
a great many men to fill up the ranks of that regiment, and finally was assigned
to the command of Company "A" of that regiment and went South with his
company, joining Sherman's army and accompanying it on its great "march to
the sea."

On the i6th of July, 1865, when stationed somewhere in Kentucky, his com-
pany was ordered to Chicago to be mustered out of service, and it was some time
in August that he left the service and joined his family who, in the meantime,
had returned to Maine.

At this time it was his intention to return to Illinois, but early in the fall of
'65, a position was offered him as overseer of dyeing, and as his family preferred
the East, he finally decided to take the position and remain in the East. From
1865 to 1870 he had charge of the dyeing for the Boston Duck Company, dye-
house in Three Rivers, Mass. In 1870 he took a position as overseer of dyeing
of the Columbian Manufacturing Company, Greeneville, N. H., and remained
until the spring of '74, when he returned to Three Rivers to take charge of the
dyeing for a new mill which had recently been built by the Otis Company, and
remained in the service of that company as superintendent of dyeing, until com-
pelled to resign on account of ill health, in the summer of 1887, when he retired
to a small farm in Wilbraham, Mass., and died there Oct. 11, 1888.

Captain Milliken was naturally studious and always a great reader, and
having an excellent memory, possessed a fund of information on a great many
subjects which he knew well how to use in argument or debate. He was a man
of strong convictions and was never afraid of being in the minority when he felt
that he was in the right.

Going to IlHnois in the fall of 1855, he had not been in the State long enough
to be entitled to vote for John C. Fremont, the first Republican candidate for the
Presidency, at the presidential election of 1856, but from that time on he was an
active worker in the ranks of the Republican ])arty in both State and national
affairs while he remained in Illinois, often presiding at the conventions of that
party and speaking for its principles and candidates on the stump during its


After lakiiiLi; up liis residence in Massachusetts at the close of the war, he was
always actively en<fagecl in temi)crance work, and as the Republican party in
that State, at that time, was al)<)ut equally divided into two factions, one favoring
the license of the liquor trade, and the other strongly opjjosing any such action,
and favoring its prohibition by State laws, he was naturally in sympathy with,
and did all that he possibly could for, the success of the temperance wing u{ the
party. The license question was the principal issue in Massachusetts State poli-
tics for a number of years, and as the State had a very large Republican majority,
the contention was mainly within the ranks and between the factions of that
party until a sort of a compromise was effected b\- the enactment of the local
option law.

This did not, by any means, .settle the matter, but left it for each city and
town to decide the question for itself at tlic j^olls each year. Captain Milliken
was oi)i>osed to the k)cal option law on the ground that it was wrong in j)rinciple,
contending that if it was wrong to legalize the sale of liquor in any one city or
town, as he believed it was, the State had no moral right to authorize its sale in
any other city or town in the Commonwealth, though a majority of its citizens
might l)e in faxor of the license law. After a time the cajjtain became convinced
that the Republican party, as such, would do no more in the interests of temi)er-
ance, and that temperance men could serve the cause better by working with the
so-called third party, and he allied himself with the Prohibition party and hence-
forth was one <if its most active workers.

Captain Milliken was converted and joined the Free Baptist Church in Saco,
Me., when a young man. In 1 876 it was largely through his labors and influence
and that of his family that the Union EvangeUcal Church at Three Rivers, Mass.,
was organized, with 38 members; the Captain and three other members of his
family being among the number. During the first 25 years of the church's his-
tory there were 423 members on its roll, 212 male and 211 female, and included
in this membership were 53 persons that had come out from the Church of Rome.

Captain Milliken taught a young men's Bible class in the Sunday-school of
this church, and his influence with the young men of the church and community
was remarkable and lasting.

He was a man of considerable more than ordinary intelligence and ability,
well read, an earnest, active Christian gentleman. Not ambitious to till any
high station in life, but ever content with his lot, he was always ready to help
others, either by word or deed, and many there were who went to him for advice
or more substantial help in times of trouble.

He used to say that it was not so much the mission of the church to fit men to
die as it was to fit them to live right lives; that everything possible should be
done to make it harder for men to do wrong and easier for them to do right.

He had a great deal of sympathy for drinking men who were trying to break
away from their old habits, particularly old soldiers whom he knew had been
subjected to trying temptations in their army life. He never tired of helping
such men, although very often every eft"ort seemed to be in vain; yet not all, for
there are men living to-day who are living honest, sober lives who testify that
their present condition in life is due in a large measure to the kindly word of
encouragement and helping hand of Captain Milliken.

He had issue nine children, of whom with Sth generation.
7. Aphia F. Milliken^ (1), third daughter of Amos* (1), was b. in Freedom,
N. H., Jan. 10, 1825; was m. in 1850 to John Lowell, of Portland, Me., and


went to California in 1864. Mr. Lowell d. Mar. 19, 1892, and his widow and
four children are living at Alameda, Cal.

8. Rev. Abraham H. Milliken^ (1), fifth son of Amos" (1), was b, in Effingham,
N. H., July 12, 1828, and at the age of twenty-five he m. Miss Rose Woodman.
He went to Saco with his parents when four years of age, and in the mills there
learned the dyer's trade, and became an efficient workman. Soon after marriage
he removed to Lebanon, N. H., where he had charge of the dyeing department in
one of the mills until Lincoln's call for defenders of the nation's life, when he
opened a recruiting office and enhsted a portion of the 12th New Hampshire
Regiment, in which he was commissioned second lieutenant. At the battle of
Chancellorsville he commanded his company and was promoted to first lieuten-
ant for bravery, after being hit by four minie bullets and a fragment of a shell,
the latter wounding him severely. He commanded his company at Fredericks-
burg, and at Gettysburg, where he was one of the last to leave the field after the
great Union victory.

Returning from the war at its close, he engaged in business at Mechanic
Falls, Me., but soon found that he could not silence the voice that had been call-
ing him into the "King's business" from the commencement of his Christian
life. He was converted in Saco in the winter of 185 1-2, under labors of Rev.
F. W. Straight, in the pastorate of Rev. S. Bathrick, who baptized him and re-
ceived him into the Saco church. The older members of the church remember
him still with great tenderness and affection. His conviction was deep and pun-
gent, and his conversion clear and thorough. But he held back from the min-
istry until he became convinced that he must preach or lose his soul !

With the loss of all his earthly possessions came his final decision to enter
upon a course of study for the ministry. He completed the three years' course,
and was graduated from the Cobb Divinity School in 1873 at the age of forty-five
years. [His school life in Lewiston was passed during my pastorate in Auburn,
and his church home was with us, so that I became intimately and happily ac-
quainted with his experience as a Christian and as a student.] He was a diligent
painstaking student, a conspicuously faithful and helpful Christian worker in the
church, and a constant comfort to its pastor. He was also, for two years or
more, secretary of the Auburn Y. M. C. A., where his consecrated service bore
much precious fruit.

He was ordained at Parker's Head, Me., July 2, 1873, Rev. W. H. Bowen,
D.D., preaching the ordination sermon, and entered at once upon the pastorate
of that church. His settlement there was almost immediately followed by a
great revival of religion, which compassed, among other good things, the break-
ing up of a dancing school in mid-term, and the conversion of seven sea captains
with a score or more of others.

From Parker's Head he went to North Danville, Vt., in 1875, where a great
revival doubled the church membership the first year of his pastorate. In a
clear stream flowing near the house of worship he excavated with his own hands
a beautiful out-of-door baptistery before the revival began, and God rewarded
his faith by permitting him to lead into it for baptism nearly all the apparently
convertible population of the place.

West Derby, Vt., called him from N. Danville, and kept him five years, in
which the church passed through an experience little short of a resurrection from
the dead, financially and spiritually. The Free Baptists, who had owned the
house of worship in part only, came into full possession of it, made extensive


repairs, ceased from dependence upon the home mission society, and the church
became not only self-su])portin<f, but rt'<i;ular contributors to all our benevolent
societies, received large accessions of numbers, and grew into a strong, united

His next two settlements were with the two churches at Bar Mills (Buxton)
and IFollis, Me., united in one jiastoratc, and the cluirch at Xortli Lebanon, Mc,
in both of which he showed the same wise leadership, followed the same broad
plans for material growth, and exhibited the same skill and success in winning
souls that he had manifested in other fields. The churches were revived and
built up and many of the young were gathered in.

Leaving N. Lebanon, he accepted his charge at Wolfborough with no little
shrinking. But before its three years had closed he had received into the church
fifty-two souls, and had seen it greatly strengthened along the lines of practical
Christian activity. The young peo])le were brought in in large numbers and
gathered into one of the largest and most efficient A. C. F. societies in the New
Hampshire Yearly Meeting.

Brother Milliken's last pastorate was at Kittery Point, Me. After a com-
paratively brief but successful work there, his rapidly failing health compelled
his resignation, and in May, 1895, his active pastoral labor ended within two
months of twenty-two years from its beginning. In the following summer he
was alarmingly ill at Ocean Park, where he had gone for recuperation. By
September he had so far rallied as to venture upon a visit to his son, residing in
Nashua, N.H. But early in November he was stricken with paralysis, resulting
from spinal myelitis. In great suffering and with great patience and unwa\er-
ing faith he awaited his promotion in the home of his only surviving son, Edward
B. }slillikcn, receiving with grateful appreciation the constant and tender care of
his faithful companion, and his devoted son and wife, until Feb. 8, 1896, when
he ceased from suffering and rose into rest.

"When near the end he was asked how it seemed ahead, he replied with a
confident smile, "All light, bright, and beautiful. 'Jesus paid it all,' bless His

A private funeral service was held in Nashua, conducted by Rev. C. S. Per-
kins, pastor of the Nashua church, and the body rested there in a receiving tomb
until summer, when it was removed, according to his own recjuest, to West Derby,
Vt.,and laid beside that of his son Woodman, whose death during his pastorate
there was the great affliction of his life.

He was a rare man, a whole-souled Christian, and a remarkably successful

Intellectually he had sound common sense, candid and reliable judgment,
excellent knowledge of human nature, and such substantial culture as rewards
an earnest effort to make the most of one's self for a holy calling.

Spiritually his piety was deep, thorough-going, all-pervading. He was in-
capable of any compromise with the devil. In rehgion and in morals he exacted
of himself all that he required of others, and embodied his Christian {Profession
in his daily life. His Christian sympathy was quick and strong and helpful, and
his spirit of self-denial was like his Master's. He was mighty in prayer, and on
his knees in public and private he was wont to bring heaven and earth in touch
with each other.

As a preacher he was conscientious and painstaking in the preparation of
his sermons, giving them careful and prayerful study, and then delivering them


with singular modesty and earnestness. He was not tluent as a speaker, but he
was impressive. He got at the root of the matter in his text, and the evident sin-
cerity of his utterances in the pulpit seldom failed to produce conviction. He
preached each sermon with a definite purpose inspired from on high. He didn't
lire without taking aim.

As a pastor of his flock he had very few equals. He knew the condition and
needs of his people, and was untiring and successful in his efforts to do them
good. His presence in the sick room was always a blessing, and his tender sym-
pathy with those in any trial was always a comfort and a help.

As a public teacher he was loyal to his God, to his conscience, and to the
people of his choice. His denomination received much of his best thought and
best effort in all the lines of its Christian work. He was evangelical in the best
<?ense, and he taught only what he believed in his heart.

As a citizen he took an active interest in public affairs, and held his own in-
dependent opinions on all the political, social, and moral problems of the day
with courage and good conscience.

In his home he was all that was thoughtful and patient and kind ; and their
loss was most keenly felt who were nearest to him in the home relation.

But after all is said of his individual characteristics as a man and a minister
of Christ, and of their lasting influence upon all who knew him, it still remains
true that he made his deepest and most permanent impression upon the common
people, and upon the churches with which he labored, by the sterling quality of
his genuine Christian character as a whole, and that in all his preaching his most
practical and convincing sermon was his consistent and stainless public and
private daily life. — From the Morning Star, by Rev. Fernald.

Two children, of whom with 8th generation.

9. Eliza Jane Milliken^ (1), fourth daughter of Amos^ (1), was b. in Effingham,
N.H., Mar. 8, 1832; was m. Apr. 9, 1856, to Frank Scamman, of Saco, and had
issue. She d. Oct. 13, 1871, and her husband d. Apr. 29, 1902. Children
named as follows:

I. Charles G. Scamman, m. Lizzie A. Goodier, and lives in Saco, Me.

II. Annie E. Scamman, m. Benj. J. Goodier, and hves in Saco, Me.

III. Amos M. Scamman, m. Hattie Pritchard, and lives in Saco, Me.

IV. Henry Scamman, m. Flora M. Foss, and lives in Dorchester, Mass.
V. Herbert C. Scamman, m. Maude C. Pritchard.

10. Alma Milliken^ (1), youngest son of Amos" (1), was b. in Saco, Me., July 16,
1835, on the Andrew McKenny farm, so-called; was m. Dec. 13, 1858, at the
home of his wife's parents in Paw Paw, Mich., to Harriet Elizabeth Lee, the
daughter of William and Susanna Lee, b. Aug. 13, 1837, in Washington, Erie
Co., Pa. She is a descendant of the well-known Lee family of Virginia, and of
Revolutionary stock. Alma Milliken has had a somewhat eventful life. He
early attended school at the Sawyer schoolhouse, on the Buxton road, and at

Online LibraryG. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) RidlonHistory of the families Millingas and Millanges of Saxony and Normandy, comprising genealogies and biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, Mulliken and Mullikin, A. D. 800-A. D. 1907; containing names of thirty thousand persons, with copious notes on → online text (page 11 of 109)