G. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) Ridlon.

History of the families Millingas and Millanges of Saxony and Normandy, comprising genealogies and biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, Mulliken and Mullikin, A. D. 800-A. D. 1907; containing names of thirty thousand persons, with copious notes on online

. (page 62 of 109)
Online LibraryG. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) RidlonHistory of the families Millingas and Millanges of Saxony and Normandy, comprising genealogies and biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, Mulliken and Mullikin, A. D. 800-A. D. 1907; containing names of thirty thousand persons, with copious notes on → online text (page 62 of 109)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Milibury, Pa., and lives in Mifllintown, Juniata Co., I'a. One dau<,diter, Mary,
b. Jan. 27, 1895.

3. Millie B. IVIilliken'^ (2), second daughter of John' (11). b. Dec. 12. 1865,
and is vice-principal in the Morrisville School, where she has been a success-
ful teacher for seven years. She studied at Acadeniia and West Chester, Pa.

4. Thomas J. Milliken'' (8), second son of John' (11), b. July 4, 1867 ; m.
Ai.iCK .NoRiii. (laughter of John North, lawyer, of Adell, la. He lived at the
oUl home until after the death of his father, then went West and was a
merchant in Rockwell City, la. He went to New Mexico for his health and
d. at .Vltoona, when on his way home, in Mar., i8g8. Buried in Academia
Cemetery. No children.

5. Lewis B. Milliken'' (1), third son of John^ (11), b. Sept. 11, 1869;
graduated at Academia, Pa., at Princeton College, and at the Medico
Chirurgical College in Philadelphia. He has been two years in Loonns
Sanitaruun, having tuberculosis consumption.

6. James W. B. Milliken'' (12), fourth son of John^ (U), b. July 19, 1871.
He was a merchant in Rockwell City, la., from 1896 to 1898, and is now
(1902) in Alpine, Tex.

7. Elizabeth A. Milliken-^ (8), third daughter of John^ (11), b. June 22, 1873 :
studied three years at the Presbyterian Hospital, and graduated as trained
nurse. Was Directress of Huston Memorial Hospital, now (1902) Directress
of North Pacific Sanitarium, Portland, Ore.

8. John M, Milliken^ (16), fifth son of John" (11), b. May 29, 1882 ; d. June
3. 18S2.

CHXLDREN OF JAMES AND MARGARET FORBES.

1. Alice J. Milliken-^ (1), eldest daughter of James' (10). b. Jan. 9. 1857 : was
m. Nov. 5, 187J, to G. W. LoGAX, and resides in Logan. Lawrence Co., Mo.
No issue.

2. Charles W. Milliken' (2), eldest son of James" (10), b. May 30, 1858; m.
Jan. 20, 1889, to Mati'ie Hurd, and resides in Fort Worth, Tex. He runs
a passenger-train between that place and Longview on the Cotton Belt Rail-
road. One son named Clyde, b. 1890.

3. Merwin 0. Milliken'' (1). second son of James" (10), b. May 4. i860; m.
Oct. 31, ]886, BiRTiE Kexxkr, daughter of J. W. and Margaret Kenner of
Berryville, .Vrk. He spent three years in Colorado. In 1884 was employed as
railway brakeman. Was conductor on freight train four years. Passenger
conductor three years. In livery business from 1890 to 1892. Elected
Sheriff of Greene Co., Mo., by Democrats in 1892. Residence. Springfield,
Mo. Four children, names as follows:

I. Margarette Claire Milliken", b. July 11, 188S.
II. Hellex Cleo Millikex", b. Mar. 6, 1890.

III. Merwin Howard Milliken^, b. Sept. 8, 1892.

IV. Mary Milliken", b. Dec. 18, 1900.

4. Anna R. Milliken'^ (3), second daughter of James" (10), b. Nov. 14. 1861 ;
was m. Nov. 29, 1882, to John G. Dickersox, and resides at Sherman,
Franklin Co., Mo. One son, Roy Dickerson, b. 1886.



454 MILLIKENS OF JUNIATA COUNTY, PA.

5. John B. Milliken' (17), third son of James* (10), b. May 7, 1863 ; m.
Maggie Kelley of Marion, O., and Uves in Little Rock, Ark., where he is
passenger conductor running to Ft. Smith, Ark. Has one son, Walter.

6. Mary A. Milliken^ (16), daughter of James* (10), b. Feb., 1866; d. Aug. 3,
t868.




JOHN MILIJGAN, ESQ.




lUKlhins of ^nrsbirc, ^^totlant)



AN 1« l'l.NSS\ l.\ \ M \. I . ^. \.



■r-i;-v"'rS>-n' - ". •; : ,v :;



John Milliken, a sheep farmer in Ayrshire, Scothuul, lived near the outlet and
within a stone's throw of Loch Doon. He was b. in the year 1700. his
parents' names not known. l!y his first niarriai^c, late in life, he had a son
John, and after the death of this wife, whose maiden name does not ai)pear,
he m. M.\RGAREr Milligan of Gallowayshire. in 1781. She was of the old
family so long possessed of Klackmyre farm. By this union there were two
sons, Tliomas ■Awdi James. The father d. in 1785. and, in accordance with the
prevalent custom, the widow retained her maiden name; and as the father was
dead, the sons spelled their names "Milligan " as their mother continued to
do. She was afterwards m. to William MacAdam, a near relative of John
Loudon MacAdam who invented the system of road-making that bears his
name. See forward for genealogy of descendants.

Note. — The members of this family in Scotland were members of the Established
Presbyterian Church.

I. John Milligan- (2), eldest son of John^ (1), b. on Meadowhead farm, Ayr-
shire, Scotland, Oct. 13, 1752; emigrated to America in 1773, locating near
Carlisle, Penn., where he managed a flouring mill, and in 1775 m. Mary
Adams, who was b. in 1750, and d. Jan. 6, 1843, aged 93 years. In 1780 they
settled in South Huntinton Township, Westmoreland Co., Penn., on a farm
then owned by John Carnahan, and since known as the " Willow Tree Farm."
In 1785 he purchased the farm near Bell's Mills in Sewickley Township, and
ever smce known as the " Milligan Farm," where his descendants still remain
and continue the title. He d. Apr. 30, 1837, and was buried in the Dick
churchyard. His family consisted of ten children, three sons and seven
daughters, of whom more with 3d generation.

John Milligan, Esq.'s, first residence on the " Willow Tree Farm" was noth-
ing more or less than a log cabin about 30 feet long and 18 feet wide, which
was kitchen, bedroom, dining-room, all within the enclosure. The garret '~t'n-
sisted of all the space above the square of the building, and was the f:^;ahary
and provisional repository of all their eatables, — their smoked m,ats, floor,
corn, etc.

The house was built of logs, unhewed ; the cracks were "dosed by mo«;s. and
pieces of wood, split of sufficient size to drive into the interspace. The floor
was made oi pu?ic/ieons, which were simple timbers split into such thickness as to
make an even surface, then hewn into the level after the .';ame was laid.

There were four windows, which consisted of four lif;hts of glass 8 by 10.
The door was also of split material, pinned together, and hung by wooden
hinges, with an immense bar fastened on the inside to Secure it against forcible
entrance. The fastening of the door was a wooden latch with a string passing
through a hole to the outside ; and for safety against the intrusion of wander-
ing Indians, the string was pulled inside at night, Avhich was a sure sign
that they were at home. And when the latch-string was found outside the
door, it was conceded that the family was "'stt-hoMie " to the public.



45G MJLLJKINS OF AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND.

About two years after their residence was established here, the family went
to attend a wedding, and while there, in the evening when all was being made
merry, the frivolities were quickly quelled by a runner who announced the
fact that there were Indians skulking around in the neighborhood. This im-
mediately caused them all to look after their rifles, which had been carried
with them as was customary to do on all occasions. About this time it was
discovered and announced that John Milligan's house was on fire, and it
proved only too true. This was in the fall of the year after everything had
been stored for the winter. An immediate skirmish line was thrown out, and
the settlers scoured the vicinity, but beyond catching sight of a fleeing Indian
and an exchange of a few shots, no further results were obtained. When the
fire had sufiiciently died out to enable them to look after their belongings,
they found that the sum total of their personal property, not destroyed, con-
sisted of an iron kettle, remnants of a couple of knives, and an iron spoon.
This same kettle is an heirloom, and is owned by Margaret Milligan, daughter
of John, son of John.

This sad loss necessitated John, Esq., to begin again, and little by little
the\- accumulated sufficient to refurnish a second log cabin on this farm, but,
being progressi\-e, he began to look around for a home of his own. He de-
cided on a farm which was located across the Big Sewickley Creek, and it
consisted of 248 acres which had been patented by Andrew Baggs, and
bought and occupied by John Milligan, Esq., in the year 1785.

This farm had as improvements, the pioneer log cabin or house of about
equal dimensions as the first homestead, and was called " Andrew's Retreat."
It also had what was known as a " Still House," located within a few yards of
where Walter B. Milligan now lives. A few acres had been cleared, and the
balance of the estate was covered with heavy forests of white oak, sprinkled
along the stream with beech and maple, and interspersed with hickory, wal-
nut, and wild cherry.

The farm, in its entirety, falls east and south, rolling with some abruptness
on the eastern border along the " Big Sewickley Creek ; " along with some
additional acreage, a frontage of nearly two miles was covered. The land all
receded,, from the creek in a gentle slope, was well watered with never fail-
ing spring(>,. and the soil of which was arable, nearest the creek, of heavy
limestone. land, while the higher ridges of the farm were of sandy loam.
The.fiv^lc {prmation consists of sandstone, limestone, and all underlaid with
coal.' jt/^jj

Later on, about the year 1802, preparations were made for building a
homestead qiore desirable in its character. A brickyard was started within
a few huqdred yar4s of where the new home was to be built, and by the year
1804 the present mansion was built of brick; the dimensions of the main
building being 60 feet long by 24 feet wide, with 10 feet stories, and cellar
under the main building, the foundation wall being on solid rock except about
3 feet. The stone wall was of ;sufticient height to clear the surface of the
ground. Then the brick wall started which was 23 inches thick, which thick-
ness was carried from the stone wall to the top of the first story ; then from
that to the square of the building was 18 inches.

The framework, windows and doors, were of the best selected oak, and
the finish, doors, staircases, and mantles, were made of wild cherry. Two of
the mantles, one in the diniiMg-room, and the other in the room above, are the




X''^^*



'^



MJLLJKINS OF AYKSIIJKE, SCOTLAA'D. 457

work of James C. Millij^an, bcautilull\ carved, all done with a chisel and
penknife.

The dividing walls are all brick on the first story. The kitchen was not
completed until the ne.xt year, its dimensions being 20 feet by 20 feet, built on
the same general principle as the balance of the house, excepting that the
fireplace was 8 feet wide, capable of admitting logs 8 feet long, with the
swinging iron crane from which were suspended the kettles of all sizes and
kinds.

The bureau was made in 1S06, and remains in its appointed place. Grand-
father's clock, with its dials of moon and montli plate, stands in the dining-
room on a base-board wiiich was placed there at the time of the construction
of the house, and is still doing duty with its two weights of 16 pounds each
and catgut strings. The original cost was seventy-five dollars.

At this old homestead many interesting customs were inaugurated. The
first apple-butter made west of the mountains was made in 1805, and was
boiled in the old still-tub at the old Still House, and stirred with a split broom.

On this farm under the sheltering arms of two huge oak trees, near to
where the county road now crosses, was the acknowledged rendezvous for the
pioneer residents of this section on Sundays where the preaching of the old-
time Covenanter was done, and where the assembling was always conditional.

If, in the early morn, the hoot of the owl was heard, and repeated at in-
tervals after the early morning had past tjU near church time, it meant,
"Indians are prowling around — there will be no services — stand by your
homes till next Sunday."

The rifle was to the pioneer of more use than his pocket-book, and the
old rifle which Squire John acquired soon after his advent in America (still
owned by Alexander Milligan) was the mainstay of his family.

Some Incidents in the Life of John Milligan, Esq.

John Milligan was by occupation a miller, and while in Chester County he
owned a mill and ground corn which was delivered to Washington's Army
during the winter of 1777, and so long as it was possible to supply him by the
then only way of transportation, — a pack-horse.

The removal from that locality, to " Willow Tree Farm," consisted of a pack-
horse which carried all his belongings together with old grandmother Milligan
and a babe in arms, while the Squire walked, carrying his rifle, which, later
on, has become historic.

In the year 1S02, Squire John, with his son Alexander and one William
Pinkerton, left Robbstown, now called West Newton, with a flat-boat loaded
with flour and whiskey, and after weeks of peril and hard work, reached New
Orleans, only to discover, on inspecting his cargo, that the flour had spoiled.
Pinkerton was discouraged, and determined to walk home. John, however,
decided that he would reship and take his cargo to Liverpool, England. The
whiskey he sold, as it had improved during the time ; and the flour was sold to
starch-makers, bill-posters, and to whoever he could get to use any of it.
Some was traded for china and various other commodities.

Then visiting his old home, he induced his brother, afterwards the Rev.
James, to accompany him. After reaching Philadelphia witli the aggre-
gation of china, etc., which has been handed down as heirlooms, they walked
the 350 miles to their home on the Sewickley.



458 MILLIKINS OF AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND.

John Milligan, Esq., was appointed Justice of Peace for Westmoreland
County, which at that time embraced all of the country west of the Alleghany
Mountains. This appointment was made by Gov. Thomas Mifflin, soon after
his inauguration, which occurred Dec. 21, 1790, he being the first Governor of
Pennsylvania under the Constitution of 1790. Squire John served in the
capacity of Ju.stice until his death. His reputation for uniting couples in the
bonds of matrimony spread rapidly over the community — the older forms of
wedlock as ministered by the divines of that day being tedious — being
more pleasing to the young on account of its brevity.

Many incidents relating to the vows taken in Squire John's office are re-
lated by tradition. One is of especial interest. During the midnight hours
after retiring, it necessitated a hurried service to avoid paternal anger which was
also after the fleeing youngsters. When notified of the fact of the waiting of
an anxious couple, he sat up in bed and asked if they were of adult age ;
and finding it to be true, had them brought in and married them without rising.

2. Thomas Milligan- (1), second son of John^ (1), b. at Meadowhead Farm,
Ayrshire, Scot., in 1783, and d. in 1803.

3. Rev. James Milligan, D.D.- (1), third son of Johni (1), was born at the
Meadowhead Farm, three miles north of Dalmellington, and half a mile east
of the outlet of Loch Doon, Aug. 7, 1785, and there lived with his mother and
brothers until his eighteenth birthday. He had attended the academy at Ayr,
and niade good progress in his studies until a sad event weaned him from his
native country. A fellow-student and companion, old enough to do military
duty, had failed to remove some flour from his coat-sleeve when hastily sum-
moned from the mess-room for review ; for this offence the reviewing officer
ordered him to be beaten with the paddle, and under the infliction he died.
James Milligan then resolved that he would never bear arms under King
George, and at once made preparation for coming to America. His brother
John having just then been home on a visit, James sailed with him from Li\er-
pool, Oct. 28, 1802, in the ship " Mavina " of Greenock, bound for Philadelphia.
After a stormy passage of sixty-two days, the vessel put into New York in dis-
tress. After taking in supplies of food and water, the ship was again delayed
by ice in the Delaware River, prolonging the voyage to nearly three months.

Reaching Sewickley Township, Pa., he worked for his brother John on
his farm till the end of July, 1804, when he went to Jefferson College at Cannons-
burg, Pa., to pursue studies for the ministry in the Reformed Presbyterian
Church. He had joined the Established Church in Dalmellington, where his
mother belonged and where he was baptized. His brother John, and his
family, were members of the Associate Reformed Church, but James deter-
mined to unite with the Reformed Presbyterians, chiefly because of their con-
sistent opposition to slavery and their insistence on a Christian administration
of government.

He graduated from college as an honor man in 1809 ; studied medicine
with Dr. Rush and received a medical dij^loma from him ; studied theology at
the same time under Dr. Samuel B. Wylie, president of the University of
Pennsylvania, in the city of Philadelphia, and was licensed to preach the gos-
pel on April 4, 1811. He was ordained and installed pastor of the Goldenham
Reformed Presbyterian Congregation, in Orange Co., N. J., June 10, 1812.
After a five years' jDastorate here, he settled in Ryegate, Vt., where he con-



j\lILLJKJ.\S OF AVRi^lUKE, SCOTLAND. 4ol>

tinned from the fall of 1817 till 1830 ; then was pastor in New Alexandria, Pa.,
from 1839 to 1848, and in Bethel, HI., from 1848 till 1855, when on account of
the infirmities of ai^e he resii^ned his charge and retired from active pastoral
work, yet continued to preach and lecture as he had ()i)pi)rlunity, and preaciied
the day before he died in Birmingham, Mich., when visiting his son James.

During his collegiate and theological studies he supported himself by teach-
ing. He was for several years principal of Greensburg Academy, in West-
moreland, Pa., and afterwards taught a Jewish school in Piiiladelphia. He
also served as Latin tutor in the University of Pennsylvania. The degree of
D.I), was conferred upon him by Muskingum College in 1848.

He published a volume on ''Infant Baptism," a narrative of the "Seces-
sion Controversy," and a " X'iew of Christian Principles and Practices," besides
several sermons.

To the close of his life he was an earnest missionary, ardent Abolitionist,
and consistent teetotaler. Wherever he went he preached Christ, liberty, and
temperance. He organized anti-slavery and temperance societies in Vermont
as earlv as 1820, and was often mobbed in his lecture tours.

He was a man of stalwart frame, being six feet in height, and weighed from
225 to 250 pounds. A fine classical scholar and a popular preacher, he had
great infiuence in the communities where he labored and in his denomination.
He was chairman of the Board of Superintendents of the R. P. Theological
Seminary in Allegheny, Pa., from 1842 to 1850.

On ^iay 15, iS2o,lie married Mary Trumbull, daughter of Robert and Lucy
(Babcock) Trumbull,* at the home of the bride's parents in East Craftsbury,
Vt. These had six children, of whom presently. Mrs. Mary, born in July
1790, died at New Alexandria, Pa., May 20, 1856. Dr. Milligan died at Bir-
mingham, Mich., Jan. 2, 1862. They were buried in the cemetery at New
Alexandria, Pa.

C^birb 6cncraiion.

CHILDREN OF JOHN AND MARY ADAMS.

1. Jean Milligan' (1), eldest daughter of John- (2), b. Dec, 1776; was m. to
CoL. D.AviD Xelsox, of Crawford, Pa.

2. Nancy Milligan' (1), second daughter of John- (2), b. June 25, 1778; was
m. to Richard Simmons.

3. Alexander Milligan' (1), eldest son of John- (2), b. Oct. 16, 17S0: m.
Eleanor McClintock, Feb. 14, 1804. She was b. Mar. 16, 1782, and d. Jan.
29, 1854. He resided on a farm. He d. Sept. 29, i860. There were nine
children in this family, of whom with 4th generation.

4. Mary Milligan' (1), third daughter of John^ (2). b. Oct. 27, 17S2; d.unm.
Feb. 28, 1834.

5. Peggy Milligan' (1), fourth daughter of John^ (2), b. Jan. 13, 1785; d. aged
one year. She was twin sister of Nellie.

6. Nellie Milligan' (1), sixth daughter of John- (2), b. Jan. 13, 1785; was m.
to Hugh McClintock.

* Robert Trumbull was from Gallowayshire, Scotland ; was pressed into the British
army during the Revolution, deserted while encamped on Long Island, and swimming the
East River joined the American Army, then in New York, and remained in this service until
independence was gained. He married his wife, who was a direct descendant from the Pil-
grims, in Salem, Mass.



4G() MILLIKENS OF AYRSHIRE, SCOTLAND.

7. Margaret Milligan^ (2), fifth daughter of John- (2), b. Aug. 20, 1787 ; was
m. to Samuel Miller.

8. John Milligan'' (3), second son of John- (2), b. June 20, 1789; was m.
Dec. 9, 1813, to Marcaret Thompson, who was b. July 17, 1791, and d.
June 14, 1840. He d. Aug. 15, 1872.

Six children, of whom with 4th generation, were born to them,

9. James C. Milligan'' (2), third son of John- (2), b. June 12, 1790; m. Nov.
16, 1811, Deborah Eckels, b. Nov. 16, 1792, and d. Apr. 19, 1894. He d.
Jan. 4, 1886.

He was of gigantic build, being 6 feet in his stockings ; straight as an
arrow ; of unusual cool and equable disposition ; a strict Covenanter ; and
who, for 72 years, was never absent from the Communion Service, nor from
the spring and fall elections ; Whig and Republican in his politics. He was
athletic and recognized as the chieftain in all the wrestling bouts in the com-
munity. His voice was like thunder and would reverberate from his home
along the Big Sewickley from hill to hill. And such occasions as calling his
hogs, the people knew of his whereabouts. It was not unusual for him to
walk to Pittsburg and back in a day — a distance of 60 miles round trip. He
was an expert with the rifle, and after 80 years of age would go out squirrel
hunting, invariably coming home with a clever number, all shot through the
head.

When 8 years of age he did his first errand, which was to accompany a
party who was moving to Cochranton, Crawford Co., a distance of more than
150 miles, riding a horse which Squire John saw fit to present to his daughter,
Jane Nelson, and carrying on the horse a pair of geese in a long sack which
was perforated to allow their heads to extend out into the world around.
He made the trip successfully, and the goose industry began to flourish in
Cochranton. He returned in the fall to his home, and when the brick-mak-
ing industry began at the old homestead, he off-bore all the bricks that were
made to build the house.

After his marriage they went to housekeeping in West Newton. He being
a carpenter and cabinet maker and on account of his superior workmanship
soon became the favorite coffin maker, and as long as it was the custom to
have coffins made to order, he controlled that trade in the vicinity. He built
himself a frame house and barn, both of which are still standing, on a tract of
land which Squire John had purchased from the Sutzenheiser heirs which
adjoined the original tract. The house and barn were built on a tract of land
1 10 acres in extent. Eleven children. See 4th generation.

10. Ann Milligan^ (1), seventh daughter of John^ (2), b. Oct. 31, 1795; was
m. to William Hutchinson.

CHILDREN OP REV. JAMES AND MARY TRUMBULL.

I. Rev. Alexander M. Milligan, D.D.^ (2), eldest son of Rev. James- (1), was b.
in Ryegate, ^'t., Apr. 5, 1822 ; m. June, 1847, to Ellen Snodgrass, daughter of
Hon. John and Mary (Mason) Snodgrass, of New Alexandria, Pa., by whom
he had six children.

He graduated from the Western University of Pennsylvania in 1843 ;
studied theology in the Reformed Presbyterian Seminary, at Allegheny, Pa. ;
was licensed to preach Apr. 14, 1847, and was ordained as his father's sue-




JAMHS C. MILLIGAN



MILLIKEXS OF AYRSHIRE, SCO I'LAXD. -IGl

cesser in New Alexandria, Pa., Nov. 24, 1848. After a 'i\\(^ years' pastorate
he was called to the 3d Philadelphia Con'jregation, and two years after was
recalled to his old charge, where his second pastorate continued eleven years.
Then, for eighteen vears, he was pastor of the Pittsburg Congregation until
his death May 7, 18S5. He was an eloquent preacher, and was much sought
after to lecture on slavery and intemperance. He was specially prominent in
the national reform movement, seeking the religious amendment of the Consti-
tution of the United States, and labored indtfatigably in this cause and in
behalf of the education and evangelization of the Southern Freedmen. In the
latter work he had from Secretary Stanton a pass, which few obtained, t(j go
through the lines of our armies whenever and wherever he pleased. He
received the degree of D.D. from Washington and Jefferson College in 1872.
For names of children see 4th generation.

2. Margaret Milligan' (3), only daughter of Rev. James- (1), b. in Ryegate,
Vt., Apr. I. 1S24; was m. in Aug., 1849, to Rev. J. R. \V. Sl().\nk, D.D., who



Online LibraryG. T. (Gideon Tibbetts) RidlonHistory of the families Millingas and Millanges of Saxony and Normandy, comprising genealogies and biographies of their posterity surnamed Milliken, Millikin, Millikan, Millican, Milligan, Mulliken and Mullikin, A. D. 800-A. D. 1907; containing names of thirty thousand persons, with copious notes on → online text (page 62 of 109)