Geo. B. (George Brubaker) Kulp.

Families of the Wyoming Valley: biographical, genealogical and historical. Sketches of the bench and bar of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) online

. (page 32 of 49)
Online LibraryGeo. B. (George Brubaker) KulpFamilies of the Wyoming Valley: biographical, genealogical and historical. Sketches of the bench and bar of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) → online text (page 32 of 49)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


ter of James Stewart and liis wife, Hannah Jameson. James
Stewart was a son of Captain Lazarus Stewart, who was killed
at the head of his company in tlie battle and massacre of Wyo-
ming, July 3, 1778. (See page 844.) Hannah Jameson was the
daughter of John Jameson. (Seepage 301.) Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes
had a family of three children. The only surviving child is Nellie,
wife of Walter E. Meek. J. C. Rhodes resides in Houtzdale, Pa.



JAMES LEE MAXWELL.



James Lee Maxwell, who was admitted to the bar of Luzerne
county November 4, 1844, was born in Northampton, Fulton
county, N. Y. He spent his early life in Johnstown, in the same
county. He subsequently entered Union College, Schnectaday^
N. Y., from which he graduated in 1842. He was a student of
law in the office of V. L. Maxwell, and after admission practiced
until 1852. He then studied theology and entered the Protestant
P^piscopal Church. He now resides at Danville, Pa., and is
rector of Christ (Memorial) Church. His father was Samuel
Maxwell, M. D., a native of New England, whose grandfather
was in the English navy and left it at Halifax, N. S., before the
revolution. James L. Maxwell's mother's maiden name was
Helen VanArnam, who descended from the old Dutch settlers of
New York. Mr. Maxwell married, in 1847, Elizabeth Meredith,
a daughter of Thomas Meredith, who was the son of Samuel
Meredith, the first treasurer of the United States, to which office
he was appointed by his intimate friend, George Washington.
The father of Samuel Meredith was Reese Meredith, an emigrant
from Wales, and a merchant in Philadelphia. Mrs. Elizabeth
Maxwell died November i, 1875. Mr. Maxwell married for his
second wife Henrietta Miller, a daughter of George Miller, of the
city of New York.



Thomas Lansford Foster. 837



THOMAS LANSFORD FOSTER.



Thomas Lansford Foster, who was admitted to the bar of Lu-
zerne county, Pa., November 4, 1844, is a son of the late Asa Lans-
ford Foster, a native of Rowe, Franklin county, Mass., where he was
born in 1798. He came when quite a young man to Pennsyl-
vania, then the "far west," and engaged in the mercantile business
with an older brother, who had preceded him, at Berwick, Pa.
A few years later— about 1821 or 1822 — he engaged in the same
business on his own account at Bloomsburg, Pa., and married
Louisa Chapman, daughter of Charles Chapman, a granddaughter
ofCaptain Joseph Chapman, of Brooklyn, Susquehanna county, Pa.
The mercantile business of that time and locality was chiefly that
of trade and barter of the merchandise usually kept in country
stores for the products of the farm and forest. Part of these
products were taken on wagons and sleds to Philadelphia and
part were sent to market down the Susquehanna on the spring
and fall freshets in rafts or arks. Goods for the store were brought
in wagons or sleds from the city. About 1826 he disposed of
his business at Bloomsburg and removed to Philadelphia, intend-
ine to encase in the wholesale trade in such merchandise as his
experience had taught him was needed in the country. In Phil-
adelphia he accepted temporarily a position in a wholesale house,
and while there, through his connection with his relative, Isaac
A. Chapman, then civil engineer for the Lehigh Company, and
residing at Mauch Chunk, Pa., Mr. Foster made the acquaintance
of Josiah White and Erskine Hazard, and was by them engaged
to take charge of the company's large supply store at the latter
place. He removed with his family to Mauch Chunk about
1 827. Here he found a very large and substantial stone store build-
ing; filled from rarret to cellar with goods which had from time
to time been sent by the managers of the company, many of
which, owing to their ignorance of the needs of their employees,
were useless and unsalable. These he had packed and returned
to the city and replenished the stock with such goods as were
wanted. His management of the store made it very popular, and



838 Thomas Lanstord Foster.



it soon became the centre of supply, not only for those employed
by the company, but also for the country from the Susquehanna
to the Delaware, which found here a ready market for its pro-
ducts. To manage such a business, keeping the stock of goods
and supplies full, with the facilities for transportation then available
— by wagons from a city nearly a hundred miles distant — required
ability, foresight, and energy, which Mr. Foster had and exer-
cised to the entire satisfaction of the company, while the attention
which he gave personally, and required of his assistants behind
the counters, to all customers made them all his friends and
patrons. After acting as manager for a few years, the company
having concluded to relinquish the mercantile business to private
enterprise, Mr. Foster, in connection with P. R. McConnell and
James Brodrick (father of the late Thomas Brodrick, of this city),
erected a store. In 1829 he commenced the publication of the
Lehigh Pioneer and Mauch Chunk Courier, with Amos Sisty as
editor. This was the first newspaper in what is now Carbon
county. In 1842 he sold the materials of the office to Joseph H.
Siewers, who changed the name to the Carbon County Transit,
A year or two later Mr. Siewers sold it to 'William Reed, when
the paper came again under the control of Mr. Foster for a short
time, during which the old name was revived. The store which
was erected in 1833 was supplied with goods and business com-
menced about the time that the Beaver Meadow Railroad, from
Beaver Meadow to Parryville, and the "Upper Grand Section" of
the Lehigh Navigation, from White Haven to Mauch Chunk,
were in course of construction. Mr. Foster's abilities as a mer-
chant were again called into action, this store becoming the
principal point from which supplies for the army of men employed
on these great works were drawn. The store was, while under
the management of Mr. Foster, at first owned by McConnell,
Foster and Brodrick, then Foster and Brodrick, and finally owned
by Mr. Foster alone. Mr. Foster removed from Mauch Chunk
in 1837 to engage in another enterprise, leaving his mercantile
business in charge of his salesman. He unlocked what is now
the great Black Creek coal basin, and obtained knowledge which
many men more ambitious and less scrupulous could have turned
greatly to their advantage. The immediate results of Mr. Fos-



Thomas Lansford Foster. 839

ter's discovery was the organization of the Buck Mountain Coal
Company, of which he was appointed superintendent, and in the
last named year, having had a log house built on the top of Buck
Mountain, he removed his family there. The work was com-
pleted and one boat load of coal was shipped in the fall of 1849.
In the fall of 1844 he returned to Mauch Chunk. In 1855
he became a partner with Sharpe, Leisenring & Co., afterwards
Sharpe, Weiss & Co., in the lease and opening of the Coun-
cil Ridge colliery, at the eastern end of the great Black
Creek basin, and within two miles of the place where
twenty years before he had developed the existence of coal in
that locality. This is now in Foster township, in this county,
and the township was named in honor of Mr. Foster. It was
his knowledge of the resources of this great coal field, and their
confidence in Mr. Foster's judgment, that induced these gentle-
men to invest all their means in the venture. It was financially
succesfsul, and although, like many pioneers in great projects,
Mr. Foster was at first unfortunate, unlike many of them, he lived
to participate largely in the fruits of his early labors and enter-
prise. He died in this city, after a short illness, when on a visit
to friends here, January 9. 1868. He was one of the vestry of
St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church when it was incorporated,
and was one of a committee "to solicit subscriptions for building
a Presbyterian meeting house." The borough of Lansford, in
Carbon county, was also named after Mr. Foster by applying his
middle name.

Thomas L. Foster, son of Asa L. Foster, was born in Blooms-
burg, Pa., August 30, 1823. He read law in this city with V. L.
Maxwell. He soon after located at Mauch Chunk; was super-
intendent of the public schools of Carbon county for six years,
meantime keeping up the practice of the law. On the organiza-
tion of the Second National Bank of Mauch Chunk he was
elected cashier, and is now president of the bank. F"or many
years he was secretary and attorney of the Middle Coal Field Poor
District. He was one of the incorporators in 1861 of the Nes-
quehoning Railroad. He was also one of the engineers in laying
out the Lehigh Valley Railroad, and w'as for some years con-
nected with the Mauch Chunk Courier, and was a member of the



840 Horace Blois Burnham.



first borou<^h council of Kast Mauch Chunk. Mr. Fo.stcr married,
November lo, 1847, Henrietta Pratt, daughter of Asaph Pratt and
his wife. EUza Pratt {nee Worthington), of Beaver Meadow, Pa.
He has four children living— Charles W. F'oster, Emily P., wife
of Thomas W. Brown, of this city, Asa L. Foster, Louisa C.
Foster, and Harry W. Foster.



HORACE BLOIS BURNHAM.



Horace Blois Burnham, who was admitted to the bar of Luzerne
county August 12, 1844, is a descendant of Thomas Burnham,
born in England in 1617, and died in Connecticut in 1688. He
sailed from Gravesend, England, for the Barbadoes in 1635, and
soon after removed to Hartford, Conn., where he was admitted a
freeman in 1656. He was a shrewd criminal lawyer, and for his
defense of Abagail Betts, accused of blasphemy (saving her neck),
was prohibited from practicing. He then settled on his lands at
Podunk. His house was fortified and garrisoned during the
Indian war, 1675. William Burnham, son of Thomas Burnham,
was of Wethersfield, Conn. Rev. William Burnham, son of
William Burnham, was born in 1684. He graduated at Harvard
College in 1702. He was pastor of a church at Farmingham in
1712, and moderator of the general association of Connecticut in
1738. Appleton Burnham, of Cornwall, Conn., son of Rev.
William Burnham, was born in 1 724. Abner Burnham, of Sharon,
Conn., son of Appleton Burnham, was born in 1771 and died in
18 18. His first wife, the mother of Judson Williams Burnham,
was Sarah Williams. Judson Williams Burnham, father of Horace
Blois Burnham, was born in 1793 and died in Carbondale, Pa., in
1857. His wife was Mary Blois. He was a jeweler and began
business in 1832 in Carbondale. In 1837 he was one of the
school directors of the same place. He was foreman of the first
grand jury impaneled for the recorder's court of the city of Car-
bondale September 8, 185 i.

H. B. Burnham, son of Judson Williams Burnham, was born
■in Spencertown, Columbia county, N. Y., September 10, 1824.



Horace Blois Burnham. 841



He removed with his parents to Carbondale in 1832, and when
of proper age entered the law office of Dwight N. Lathrop.
After his admission to the bar he practiced in Carbondale until
1849, when he removed to Mauch Chunk, Pa., where he practiced
until 1 86 1. He then entered the army as lieutenant-colonel of
Sixty-Seventh regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers. He was
judge of the Hustings court of the city of Richmond, Va., from
September 11, 1867, to June 9, 1869; president judge of the Su-
preme Court of Appeals of Virginia from June 9, 1869, to April
29, 1870; major and judge advocate United States army from
October 31, 1864, to July 5, 1884; and since a lieutenant-colonel
and deputy judge advocate general United States army. Mr.
Burnham's judicial duties in Virginia were imposed by the laws
of the United States known as the " Reconstruction Laws."
During their performance he was an officer of the army and also
legal adviser of major generals Schofield, Canby, Webb, and
Stoneman, who were officers commanding that military district.
Since that time he has continued to be the judicial adviser of
major generals Terry, Augur, Ord, Crook, and Howard, in Georgia,
Kentucky, Texas, and Nebraska. His present duty is deputy
judge advocate general of the military division (of the Pacific),
with headquarters in San Francisco, the division including Cali-
fornia, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington
Territory, and Alaska. Mr. Burnham has practiced in most of
the courts of north-eastern and eastern Pennsylvania, and in the
Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, and Circuit Court of the United
States. As judge advocate and deputy judge advocate general
United States army he has represented the rights of the United
States and tried cases in the various courts of the District
of Columbia and the states of Virginia, Nebraska, and California
and in the territory of Utah, and in the Circuit and Supreme
court of the United States. Since the above was written he has
retired on account of age from the position of deputy judge advo-
cate general. Mr. Burnham married, February 22, 1846, Ruth
Ann Jackson, whose grandfather was Nathan Jackson, of New
York City. Her father was Doctor Nathan Jackson, of Carbon-
dale. Mr. and Mrs. Burnham have a'family of three children —
Nathan Jackson Burnham, a lawyer, of Omaha, Nebraska ; Mary,



842 George Grant Waller.



wife of Professor John S. Collins, of St. Louis, Mo. ; and Anna,
wife of Lieutenant Lewis Merriam, Fourth United States Infantry.
Mr. Burnham resides near Richmond, Henrico county, Va.



d



J-^Bl GEORGE GRANT WALLER.



George Grant Waller, who was admitted to the bar of Luzerne
county April 7, 1846, is a native of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., where he
was born May 3, 1821. He is the son of Captain Phineas Wal-
ler, a native of Wilkes-Barre (now Plains) township, where he
was born in 1774. In 1776 he went to Connecticut in company
with his father. Captain Nathan Waller, and returned to Wyo-
ming in 1782. At the time of his death he was the oldest person
living that was born in this valley. The father of Captain Phineas
Waller was Captain Nathan Waller. He was a native of Con-
necticut, and emigrated to the Wyoming Valley at an early day.
His wife was Elizabeth Weeks, a daughter of Thomas Weeks, a
native of Fairfield, Conn., who came to Wyoming with the first
two hundred settlers in 1769. His brothers — Jonathan Weeks,
Philip Weeks and Bartholmew Weeks — were slain in the battle
and massacre of Wyoming. Jonathan Weeks, the father of
Thomas Weeks, came from Fairfield, Conn., to Wyoming with
his wife, Abagail, and two sons, Jonathan and Philip, in 1762-63.
They escaped the massacre of 1 763. Philip and Thomas, his sons,
came to Wyoming in 1769 ; the father, with Jonathan and Barthol-
omew and two daughters, came soon afterwards. Captain Nathan
Waller died July 11,1831, aged 79 years. The wife of Phineas Wal-
ler, and mother of George G. Waller, was Elizabeth Jewett, born
October 9, 1780, in New London, Conn., and married in Wilkes-
Barre March 31, 18 14. She was the daughter of Jacob Hibbard
Jewett, born August ii, 1745. He was educated at Cambridge,
studied medicine with Dr. E. A. Holyoke, and settled in New
London (now Montville),'Conn. Doctor Jewett served as a sur-
geon in the American army during most of the revolutionary



George Grant Waller. 843

war. He died in his native town April 26, 18 14. His wife, Pa-
tience Bulkeley, was born April 23, 1749, married in August,
1769, was the daughter of Major Charles and Ann (Latimer)
Bulkeley, and granddaughter of Rev. John and Patience Prentice
Bulkeley, first minister of Colchester, Conn. (See page 285.)
In 181 5 Dr. Jewett's family moved to Wilkes-Barre, where his
widow. Patience, died in February, 1830. Doctor Jewett's great-
great-grandfather, Maximillian Jewett, was of Rowley, Mass.
He was admitted freeman in May, 1640, representative in 1641
and for sixteen years afterward. Ezekiel Jewett, son of Maxi-
millian Jewett, was admitted freeman in May, 1669, a deacon,
representative of Rowley in 1690. Stephen Jewett was a son of
Ezekiel Jewett. Rev. David Jewett, of Rowley, son of Stephen
Jewett, was born June 10, 17 14, graduated from Harvard College
in 1736, ordained pastor of the Second Church in New London
(now Montville), Conn., Oct 3, 1739, died June 6, 1783. Before
going to New London he was employed as a missionary to the
Mohegans, and acquired the favor of the sachem and his tribe.
No minister in the country stood higher among his own flock
or in the esteem of his brethren than Mr. Jewett. He was a
chaplain in the army in 1756, afterwards in the French war and
in the revolution. He was the father of Dr. David Hibbard
Jewett, the father of Elizabeth Waller, wife of Phineas Waller.

George Grant Waller was educated in the schools of this city,
at Lancaster, Pa., and at Williams College, where he graduated
in 1844. He read law with Judge Collins in this city. He has
practiced in this city, at Bloomsburg, but principally at Hones-
dale, Pa., where he now resides. He married, October 1 1, 1854,
Lizzie J. Bentley, a daughter of Benjamin S. Bentley and Hannah
Bentley, his wife. Mrs. Waller was a native of Montrose, Pa.
Mr. Bentley was appointed president judge of Lackawanna
county at its organization, on August 21, 1878, but the Supreme
Court held that there was no vacancy in the office at the time of
his appointment, and that, under the provisions of the new county
act, Lackawanna was not a separate judicial /district, and, there-
fore, the only court authorized by law was that to be established
by the judges of Luzerne county, who organized the courts of
Lackawanna county October 24, 1878. He was also appointed



844 Franklin Stewart.



by Governor Hartranft president judge of the 29th judicial district
when Lycoming county was made a separate district. Mr. and
Mrs. Waller have but one child living, Bessie B. Waller. George
G. Waller is a brother of the late Judge Charles P. Waller, of
Wayne county, Pa.



FRANKLIN STEWART.



Franklin Stewart, who was admitted to the bar of Luzerne
county, Pa., August 3, 1847, is a native of Wilkes-Barre township
where he was born November 14, 1822. His great-grandfather,
Lazarus Stewart, came with his family from the north of Ireland
to America in 1729. The same year he settled on a tract of land
"situate on Svvahatawro creek," in afterwards Hanover township,
Lancaster county, Pa. With the aid of two redemptioners, whose
passages were paid by him, he built within that and the two
years following a house and barn, cleared twenty-odd acres of
arable land, and planted an orchard. He died about 1744. Mar-
garet Stewart, eldest daughter of Lazarus Stewart, married James
Stewart, of Hanover, a cousin or second cousin. James Stewart,
son of James Stewart, was born in Lancaster county about 1737,
and came to Hanover, Luzerne county, with his brother. Captain
Lazarus Stewart, the " Paxtang Ranger," in 1769 or 1770,
returned to Lancaster county before the battle and massacre of
Wyoming in 1778, married Priscilla Espy, lived in Lancaster
county, died there in 1783. His widow married Captain Andrew
Lee. Lazarus Stewart, son of James Stewart, was born in Lan-
caster county in 1783, and came to Hanover with his step-father,
Captain Andrew Lee, in 1804. He married Elizabeth Crisman,
daughter of Frederick Crisman, of German descent, who came to
Hanover as early as 1788. Mr. Crisman built and kept the " Red
Tavern," in Hanover. Lazarus Stewart resided in Wilkes-Barre
and died here in 18-39.

Franklin Stewart, son of Lazarus Stewart, was educated in the
schools of his native place and at Dana's academy, and read law
with Jonathan J. Slocum. He married, in 1854, Mary C. Wilson,



Franklin Stewart. 845

a daughter of A. B. Wilson, M. D., who was born June 1 1, 1797,
in Madison county, Va. In 1800 his father's family moved to
Montgomery county, Pa. He received his education at the Hat-
borough Academy and University of Pennsylvania. He moved
temporarily to Wilkes-Barre for the benefit of his health, and
commenced reading medicine under Doctor Crary, and continued
his studies under Doctor William Batchelor, of Hatborough. In
1 818 he commenced practicing medicine, and in 1822 he moved
to Berwick, Pa. He died in 1856. The wife of Dr. A. B. Wilson
was Minerva Jameson, a daughter of Alexander Jameson, son of
Robert Jameson, son of John Jameson. (See page 301.) The
wife of Alexander Jameson was Elizabeth Stewart, a daughter of
Captain Lazarus Stewart, who was born in Lancaster (now Dau-
phin) county, Pa., in 1734. He served in the old French and
Indian war of 1755 to 1763 ; was in Braddock's defeat; married
Martha P^spy, daughter of Josiah Espy, son of George Espy, son
of Josiah Espy ; was captain of the Paxtang Rangers ; came to
Hanover in Wyoming as a settler with forty Lancaster county
men late in 1769, or in February, 1770. Within the year
1770 his forty were reduced to thirty Lancaster county men, to
whom were added ten New England men. By 1772 these were
reduced to eighteen men, who hired another eighteen men, thus
keeping up, according to an understanding with the Susquehanna
Company, their number to not less than thirty-six. Lazarus
Stewart was the fiery and daring Yankee leader of those stirring
times. He resided in a block house of his own on his land in
Hanover, about ninety rods below the Wilkes-Barre line. He
was killed at the head of his company in the battle and massacre
of Wyoming. Lazarus Stewart was undoubtedly responsible for
the battle and massacre of Wyoming, on July 3, 1778. It was a
mistaken judgment on his part, which he afterwards sealed with
his blood. Hon. Steuben Jenkins, in his Historical Address at
the Wyoming Monument, July 3, 1878, says: "The cool and
more judicious of the officers on whom the responsibilities rested
thought prudence the better part of valor, and decided that their
present position being tenable against a superior force, and serv-
ing to protect the lower and main part of the valley from the
encroachments of the enemy, would answer the purpose of pro-



846 Franklin Stewart.



tcction to that part of it until the expected reinforcements should
arrive. At this point in the debate Lieutenant Timothy Pierce
arrived with information that the company of Spalding was on
its way, and would probably arrive on Sunday for their assis-
tance." The battle was fought on Friday. " This news did not,
however, calm the troubled waters. It was contended that Sun-
day would be too late ; that the enemy by that time could prowl
through the valley, rob and burn their homes, or kill and take
captive the women and children, drive off their horses and cattle,
and destroy their harvests while they, like base and cowardly pol-
troons, were standing by with arms in their hands, and seeing
him do it without making an attempt to prevent it. * * * The
discussion became heated and personal. Charges of cowardice
were made by Captain Lazarus Stewart, then a private in Cap-
tain McCarrachen's Hanover company, against all who opposed
advancing, particularly against Colonel Butler, the principal
commander, who was against an advance, and he threatened to
report him as such to headquarters. Stewart was ordered under
arrest by Colonel Denison. The Hanover company became
mutinous. Captain McCarrachen resigned, and the company
immediately elected Stewart in his place. They now threatened
a revolt unless a march should be immediately made against
the enemy. Colonel Denison, a cool and quiet man, who had
taken little or no part in the discussion, as yet, urged the pro-
priety of careful and considerate action, and the impropriety and
danger of hasty and inconsiderate action ; that it would be far
better to wait until more was known of the number and move-
ments of the enemy; that it was hardly possible that they
would attempt to overrun the valley as matters then stood; that
a little delay would give them more information upon these
points, when they could act intelligently, and in the meantime
Spalding's and Franklin's companies would arrive — the latter cer-
tainly. These suggestions did not meet the feelings and views of
the men generally. They had become warmed up by the fiery
words of Captain Stewart, and declared that it would be a dis-
grace never to be forgotten or forgiven should they remain there
or lie cooped up in a fort while the enemy should devastate the
valley, plunder and burn their homes, and then draw off with



Franklin Stewart. 847



their booty, and they too cowardly to offer the least resistance.
It was therefore determined to march and meet or attack the
enemy. When it was decided to advance or attack the enemy,
Colonel Butler discharged Captain Stewart from arrest, saying :
' We will march and meet the enemy, if he is to be found, and I



Online LibraryGeo. B. (George Brubaker) KulpFamilies of the Wyoming Valley: biographical, genealogical and historical. Sketches of the bench and bar of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania (Volume 2) → online text (page 32 of 49)