PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM.
married to Rebecca J., daughter of James .Men den-
hall, who emigrated from Hamilton County, Ind.,
to Illinois in 1858. He was a prominent citizen, a
man very much respected by everybody, and at
the time of his death was considered well-to-do.
Mr. and Mrs. Elliott are the parents of three chil-
dren — Otis M., Lulu G., and Annie M. Wesley
Elliott's mother, Naomi Mendenhall, was a lady
noted for her charitable works and many lovely
traits of character. She was the mother of eight
children, seven of whom are li viiig: Henry C, Annie,
Mrs. Hoik; Wesley, Alvin, Clayton B., Mary E.,Mrs.
Stogsdill; and Delphinia, Mrs. Lj'nch. The father
was married twice, his first wife being Miss Eliza-
beth Maxwell, and by her he had three children,
but one of whom is now living — John. Mrs.
Elliott's mother, Rebecca (Campbell), was the
mother of ten children, five of whom are living:
Priscilla, Mrs. Patten; Ira G, Ryan G., Rhoda G,
Mis. Ankrum and Mrs. Elliott. Tuey are worthy
adherents of the Societ}' of Friends.
Mr. Elliott is engaged in mixed farming and
stock-raising, a calling which has been a success
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
with him. He handles and feeds nothing but the
best kind of stock, and is always ready to try any
new improvement that will forward the work of
agriculture, and has any merit at all in it. He be-
lieves that the Republican party is the one to
which this country must look for its reforms, and.
while he never seeks office, has held many local
positions, which he has invariably filled with abil-
ity. Being of the Quaker persuasion, that fact is
guarantee enough of the stability of his character,
and shows that his neighbors can trust him in any
position in which he is placed.
WILLIAM JASPER OLEHY, an ex-soldier
of the Union Army and one of the best-
known residents of Georgetown Township,
is the proprietor of a snug farm of seventy-eight
acres on section 18, where he has effected good im-
provements and is in the enjoyment of a comforta-
ble home. He was born in Danville Township,
Vermilion County, July 21, 1810, and was reared
upon his father's farm, attending the common
school a short time — only six months — and then
commenced in earnest the battle of life. He worked
out by the month until after reaching his majority
and after the outbreak of the Civil War, eidisted,
July 17, 1862, for three years, or during the war,
in Company A. 125th Illinois Infantry, under the
command of Capt. Ralston. He was mustered in at
Danville where they drilled three weeks and were
then ordered to the front, going to Covington, Ky.
via. Cincinnati, Ohio.
Our subject first met the enemy in battle at Per
ryville, next at Nashville, Murfreesboro and at
Chattanooga; after tins followed the march to
Knox ville, whence they returned to Chattanooga and
soon afterward entered upon the Atlanta campaign.
In the meantime the regiment was assigned to the
14th Army Corps under command of Gen. Thomas
and with Sherman marched to the sea. Their mis-
sion ended in the Southeast they repaired to Wash-
ington, D. C. were present at the grand review.
May 22-2-5, 1865, and were mustered out. He re-
ceived his honorable discharge in Chicago. June
Returning now to the farm, Mr. Olehy occupied
himself in agricultural pursuits and iu a sawmill
east of Danville until his marriage. This interest-
ing event occurred in 1870, the bride being Miss
Mary A., daughter of William and Mary (Glaze)
Olehy. The young people settled in Pilot Town-
ship, where our subject was engaged in farming
until 1881, then purchased his present homestead.
Of this first marriage there were born two chil-
dren — Annie R. and Mary E., and the mother died
in 1880. Mr. Olehy votes the straight Democratic
ticket. He has had very little to do with public
affairs, avoiding the responsibilities of office and
giving his undivided attention to his farming in-
The parents of our subject were Jacob and Annie
(Glaze) Olehy, who were both natives of Ohio, and
the father born near Chillicothe. The paternal
grandfather, Virginius Olehy, was of English and
German descent. The parents were married in
Vermilion County, 111., to which they came in their
youth, in 1833-34. Mr. Olehy carried on farming,
and both he and his wife died of cholera in 1849.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM.
They were the parents of five children, four of
whom are living. Rebecca, the eldest, is the wife
of AlOnZoCook, a coal dealer of Oeorgctown Town-
ship. Dennis is a carpenter by trade and a resi-
dent of Danville. Martha R.. is the widow of John
Martin, a mechanical engineer who died in Danville.
<ni S. MOSES is a prominent business man of
Hoopeston, news dealer. Justice of the
Peace, and dealer in musical instruments'
books, stationery- and notions. lie was horn
in Portsmouth, N. II., March -2(3, 1846, and there
resided with his parents outside of the city, obtain-
ing his education in Portsmouth, later attending
scl I at Dixon, III.
When Mr. Moses came to Illinois he was about
twenty-one years of age. He located in "White-
side County, where he taught school, following the
same pursuit also in Lei' County, and while li\ ing
there he attended school part of the lime at Dixon.
In 1875 he first came to Vermilion County, teach-
ing school for three or four years, after which he
engaged in the business mentioned above, and has
so continued ever since. He has made a success in
everything he has undertaken, in a financial point
of view, and as an official his record is of the ver\
best. He has been City Treasurer, Alderman,
Justice of the Peace, ami allot' these offices have
come to him unsought, as his neighbors believe
that he possesses all of the attributes necessary to
hold any position within their gift.
On the 1 1th of February, 1870, Mr. Moses mar-
ried Miss Ilattie Bixby. of Amboy, 111. They
have had two children, of whom only one is liv-
ing, Fred \V. Mr. Moses has built a good home on
Second avenue, where he has livid for some time,
and where it is hoped he may enjoy many years of
his useful life. He has done much to build up the
literary tastes of the people of his town, and there
not being any good library here, he has personally
expended a generous amount in maintaining a good
circulating library of 1 ,200 volumes. This alone
is a good recommendation for any man.
Mrs. Moses was born in Lee Center, Lee Co., HI.,
Dec. 22. is;,:!, and is a daughter of L. L. Bixby, ;.
prominent farmer of that section of the country.
She remained at home, except for the time she at-
tended school, until her marriage. William Moses,
lather of the subject of this sketch, was born in
Portsmouth, N. H., where he was reared on the old
homestead, which has been in (he .Moses family
since 1680. He received his education in his native
city, and when he attained his majority, located on
a farm two miles from town, where he engaged in
the business of general farming. His wife's maiden
name was Miss Abigail A. Seavey, and the}- are the
parents of seven children, jf whom only three are
now living: Mrs. Julia ( Moses) Moses is living in
Portsmouth; Mrs. Augusta O. (Moses) Seavey. and
the subject of this sketch. The father is still living,
but his wife died in 1886. William Moses has held
the various local offices of Portsmouth, although
he never was possessed of political aspirations. He
has voted invariably with the Democratic party,
and is prominent in its counsels. Religiously he
believes in the doctrines of the Baptist Church,
and is a member of the I. O. O. F. William Moses
is respected in his native town as a man of many
J. S. Moses is a stalwart Democrat, and has been
very prominent in his party. He is a member of
the Odd Fellows and M. W. A. lie belongs to the
Union Church of his city, and in all social affairs
does his share toward making life happier and
Sp-SfcATHAN WILLIAMS, a successful farmer,
JJj stock-raiser and merchant, of Hoopeston, was
lAScMf) Uor " m Harrison County. Ohio. Nov. 1,
1834. His farm is situated on section 1 I. town-
ship 23, range 12, and near the fair grounds.
Beside his farming and cattle-feeding interests, he
is also largely interested in the drygoods business,
which is conducted in the firm name of Williams
Mr. Williams remained in his native county with
his father and mother until he became of age, at-
tending the common schools and working on the
farm alternately. In 1851 he came to Illinois and
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM.
engaged with his brother, who was also following
agricultural pursuits. lie remained here but one
season, then returning to Ohio, where he took c'.iarge
of the old homestead. In 1862 he married Miss
Susanna Norman, of Tuscarawas County, Ohio,
and in 1864, he returned to Illinois, and concluded
to remain here. In 1865 he bought a farm in
Prairie Green Township. Iroquois Co., 111., which
was partially improved. Here lie prosecuted the
business of stock-raising, handling large herds, and
was successful. He improved this farm by build-
ing the necessary houses and barns that were
needed, and by fencing and hedging. In 1871.
when Hoopeston first came into existence, he came
here and erected a large boarding house. In 1875.
in company with his brother John, he purchased a
grocery business, which was his first mercantile ven-
ture, but which was a successful one, notwithstand-
ing the financial depression that carried down other
firms in the vicinity. He continued in the grocery
business until 1881, when his brother sold out to
.Mr. Catherwood, and our subject and Mr. Cather-
wood continued the business, going into the grain
business in addition. He remained in this partner-
ship for a short time, when he purchased the whole
business and has built up a large trade, also in dry-
goods, last year amounting to $30,000. The firm
at this writing is Williams Bros., his brother Joseph
having purchased an interest in the business. In
their employ as general manager is Mr. Bond, a
nephew of the subject of this sketch, and a man
of large experience. This recapitulation is given
merely to exhibit the business ability of Mr. Will-
iams and to show his capacity in different lines of
trade. He has not made a failure in anything that
he has undertaken, but has steadily gone forward
and lifted up every business he has handled.
Politically Mr. Williams is a Republican, but has
never eared for office, though enthusiastic in his
advocacy of the party to which lie belongs. He
is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church
and also of the Sun lay-school.
Mis. Williams was born in Tuscarawas County,
Ohio, and is the daughter of Daniel and Dorcas
Norman, who was a farmer by occupation, and who
removed from Ohio to Indiana, where his wife died
in 1887. He is now residing with his daughter.
Mrs. Williams. Mr. and Mrs. Williams are the
parents of seven children, of whom but three are
living: Joseph 0., is residing with his father, while
James A. is a partner in the firm of Williams Bros. ;
Anna Ma}' is also at home.
llL=> ENRY DORUS NEWELL, owns a large
t'j farm in Carroll Township, acquired by his
own industry, being a self-made man and
receiving no financial assistance in making
his start in life. Mr. Newell has been engaged in the
tailoring business for the long period of forty-five
years and operates considerably as a money loaner.
His land, 170 acres, is all prairie.
Mr. Joseph Newell, the father of our subject,
was a tailor by trade and conducted a general
merchant tailoring in Birmingham, England, where
he was born and spent his entire life, accumulating
a good property. He married Miss Jane Young
who was born two miles south of Birmingham.
Both the grandfathers of our subject were farmers
and with their wives lived to be over eighty
years old. To Joseph and Jane Newell there
were born ten children, viz: An infant who died
unnamed, Frederick, Henry Dorus, our subject;
Maria, John, Herbert, William, Harriet, and two
more infants, unnamed, deceased. The great-grand-
father was a Norman Count b}* the name of Joseph
DeNewell; the "De" was dropped b} - the father of
The subject of our sketch attended a private
school in Birmingham, prior to the era of the na-
tional schools. He learned rapidly, being more than
ordinarily bright and intelligent, and completed his
studies at the age of fourteen years, being also at
that age confirmed in the Episcopal Church. He
then began working in his father's shop, acquiring
the trade of a tailor readily, but he was fond of
adventure, and as soon as able to do journeyman's
work, left home and traveled through the northern
part of England, also going to Greenock and other
places in Scotland, lie was thus occupied for a
period of nine years, during which time he was
the hero of many a romance in which the fair
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM.
English girls and Scofccb lassies figured quite
prominently. He visited the principal cities of
England, those containing more than 10,000 in-
habitants, and in 1846 became deeply interested
in politics and in the charter movement, which he
favored very Strongly. This was his lirst experi-
ence in politics and made him strongly Democratic.
During the year above mentioned, he established
himself in business in London, where he remained
three years, then went to France and worked at
his trade in Paris six weeks.
Our subject, finally returning to his native city,
was married there Jan. L'4. 1851, to Miss Hannah
Dovey, the ceremony taking place in St. Phillip's
Church, Birmingham. This maiden was his sweet-
heart when he was a boy. they attending the same
school and growing up together. They lived in
Birmingham for a time after their marriage and
then Mr. Newell decided to seek his fortune in the
land of liberty. There had then been born to the
young couple one child, a son. William Henry.
On the 13th of August, 1 854, they embarked from
Liverpool on the sailing vessel "Enoch Train"
from which they landed safely at New Orleans,
( (ctober 8, following.
Mr. Newell pursued his trade in the Crescent
City that winter, and on the 28th of March. 1*55.
set out for Memphis, Tenn. On the way he fell in
with Samuel Grondyek. of Eugene. Ind.. who had
just marketed his pork in New Orleans and was
persuaded by him to return with him to Eugene,
lie followed his trade there six months and in the
meantime became acquainted with some of the
leading men of lndianola. which was then Dallas.
So he changed his residence once more and being
a first-class workman, with little or no competition.
soon established a large trade.
Finally, Mr. Newell, changing his occupation
somewhat, entered the Government service ami for
six months was stationed at Johnsonville on the
Tennessee River. He had become a naturalized
citizen as soon as the law would permit, and cast
his first Presidential vote for Douglas in I860.
He invested his accumulated capital in land in
Carroll Township, which steadily increased in value
and in 1873 associated himself with Mr. Knipe and
began operating a sawmill. Later he sold out his
interest in this enterprise, but has a one-half inter-
est in a sawmill with Abraham Sandusky, which is
located on Sandusky Branch.
In 1881 Mr. Newell formed a partnership with
John W. Baum to build a tile manufactory at
(hrisman in Edgar County. This they have
since operated profitably. Indeed all the enter-
prises with which Mr. Newell has been connected
have resulted creditably to his good judgment.
He has expended a handsome sum of money in
law books and historical works, and frequently
Officiates as an attorney, his ready speech and ex-
ceptionally good memory serving him well upon
these occasions and causing his opponents to look
well to their laurels. He is likewise well versed in
history of the world at large, especially that of
England and the United Slates.
The home of Mr. Newell is pleasantly situated
in the north part of the village and comprises a
neat and tasteful residence with attractive sur-
roundings, and within it, are books, music, works of
art and all the appliances of refined life. His
children are bright and intelligent, possessing much
musical talent, ami the elegant upright piano in
their home is the source of much pleasure and
satisfaction both to them and their many friends.
Mrs. Hannah (Dovey) Newell departed this life
at her home in lndianola in 1857 leaving two chil-
dren, William II. . who died at the aged of twenty-
three years, and Jennie who died at the age of four
months. Our subject, in 1861, was married a sec
ond time to Mrs. Laura A. (Ferrell) .lames, widow
of Elijah James by whom she had five children,
Jasper L„ Syrena F., B. \\\. Myrtle and Semour.
Mrs. Laura Newell was born at Clinton, Vermillion
Co., Ind. Of her union with our subject there
have been born likewise five children, Beatrice.
Birdie, who died in infancy; Dixie, Harvey, and
Georgie. who died when one year old. Beatrice
is the wife of Jasper Moore, an engineer at Sidell.
and they have three children, Harry D., Mossieand
a babe named Laura. Dixie married Milton Hen-
son, a farmer, and they reside in Villa Grove in
Douglas County. III. The other child is at home
with the parents. Mr. Newell belongs to the
Episcopal Church while Mrs. Newell is a member
of the Methodist Episcopal Church at lndianola.
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM.
Although a decided Democrat, politically, Mr.
Newell mixes very little in public affairs, with the
exception of serving twice on the County Central
Committe. He visited his native land in 1 883
during the World's Exhibition at the Crystal
Palace in London, and attended a very interesting
shooting match at Wimbledon. America was finely
represented at the exposition and it was a source
of no little pride to him that he was a citizen of the
United States. During this tour he made the
acquaintance of several noted individuals, among
them being George C. Miln, the famous preacher-
actor, who was one of the passengers on the steamer
"Parthia" on which Mr. Newell made the return
ville Commercial Company, and business
11' manager of that establishment, was bom in
Michigan City, Ind., April 22, 1846. His
paternal ancestors, who were of Irish extraction,
were for several generations residents of the South,
and his father, Archibald Reed Harper, was born in
South Carolina in 1815. When the latter was
quite young the family removed to Rush County.
Ind., where our subject's father lived until 1833.
In that year he and an elder brother went to Michi-
gan City, LaPorte Co., Ind., which at that time
seemed destined to be the leading point of the
southern shore of Lake Michigan. Having estab-
lished a home there, the brothers sent for their
parents and the rest of the family, who soon after-
ward joined them. There the grandparents lived
the remainder of their lives, and both died in 1851.
Archibald Harper and his brother Asa were car-
penters and cabinet-makers, and worked at this
trade together until 1850, when the former re-
moved to Porter County, Ind., where he engaged
in farming until 1880, when he retired from active
life, and is now living at Chesterton, an honored
pioneer of Northern Indiana. He was twice mar-
ried, his first wife being Miss Foster, who died
leaving one child, O. E. Harper, now a resident of
Danville. The second wife, mother of our sub-
ject, was Miss Emily A. Atwater. who was born
Sept. 1. 1824, in Canada, whence her parents re-
moved first to Pennsylvania, and later to Michigan
City. She is living with her husband in Chester-
ton. This second union was blessed by the birth of
eight children. Two died in infancy, and one, Mar-
garet, after reaching womanhood. The survivors
are: Albert, who is the eldest; Aimer, a merchant of
Chesterton; Laura, wife of Irving Brush, a farmer
near that place; Homer S., a painter, living in
Pierre. Dak.; and Samuel A., a druggist in Ches-
The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood <>n
the farm, receiving his education in the district
schools. When fifteen years of age he began learn-
ing the trade of a printer in Valparaiso, Ind., where,
with the exception of one year spent in Williams-
port, Ind., lie remained until 1869, when he came
to Danville, which has since been his home. He
began life there as acompositor on the Commercial,
and he has since been identified with that journal.
In 1870 he bought a quarter interest in the estab-
lishment, still retaining his position in the compos-
ing room. The following year the business was
reorganized under the name of the "Commercial
Company." and Mr. Harper was chosen President.
In 1877 he was installed as Business Manager, a
position for which his practical knowledge of the
business, and his affable and pleasing manners, pe-
culiarly qualify him. The success of this prosper-
ous journal is largely due to his careful and prudent
management of its financial interests.
May 2'J, 1873, Mr. Harper was united in mar-
riage with Miss Julia Payton, who was born in
Vance Township, Vermilion County, Feb. 8, 1817.
Her parents were John M. and Sarah (Frazier)
Payton, and her grandfather, Peter Frazier, was
one of the first pioneers of the county, where he
entered Government land at a very early day. He
lived to an advanced age, dying in 1881, aged
ninety-seven j'ears, one of the oldest white men
who ever lived in Vermilion Count}'. The mother
of Mrs. Harper died Aug. 28, 1878, in Danville,
and since then her father has made his home with
his daughter and our subject. He is now in his
sixty-seventh 3 f ear. Some seven years ago he gave
up his farm and is now living a retired life.
The union of Mr. and Mrs. Harper has been
PORTRAIT AND BIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM.
blessed to them by the birth of two children — Katie
Payton and Ernest Herbert, both attending school
at Danville. The parents are both members of the
Kimber Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Har-
per belongs to the order of the Royal Templars of
Temperance and the National Union.
During his residence of twenty years in Danville,
Mr. Harper has become widely known and highly
respected. A gentleman of modest and unassum-
ing deportment, of genial manners and of real
merit, he lias the confidence and esteem of the
¥* filLBl'R CAST, the well-known '-Short
Stop" of the base ball nine, the Sidell
Reds, is designated as the "cute hitter" and
with his comrades has furnished great recreation
for the denizens of Sidell and vicinity, displaying
in a marked degree the skill which may be attained
by lorn;' practice and which really amounts to a
science. This "nine" is the pride of the town and
Mr. Cast one of its most popular hoys. Base ball,
however, occupies only a small portion of his time
as lie is industriously engaged in the cultivation of
his little farm of eighty acres, where he makes his
headquarters and although living in an unpreten-
tious style, manages to extract a great deal of com-
fort from life. His career thus far has been signal-
ized by perseverance and integrity, and he is a
universal favorite among his townspeople. He has
attained to his position solely by his own efforts,
having been thrown upon his own resources early
in life. Upon coming to this county twelve years
ago or so, he engaged as a laborer by the month at
Fairmount, and by a course of industry and econ-
omy succeeded in making the purchase of his
Mr. Cast was born in Clinton County, Ohio, six
miles north of Clarksville, Dec. 22, 1858, and was
reared to manhood in the Buckeye state, receiv-
ing good educational advantages. His father,
Ezekiel Cast, was married in early manhood to
Miss Martha ( Francis) Berkely, a native of Clarks-
ville, and subsequently operated as a carpenter and
farmer. lie is still living on his farm and is
seventy years of age. The mother died in 18(il
aged about forty years. .Mr. Cast was married
three times after the death of his first wife. The
parental household included seven children, viz:
Mary F.. Isaac William, Letta Joseph. Wilbur F.
L., Jennie and Charles. Our subject was only three
\ ears old at the time of his mother's death and re-
mained in his native State until a youth of sixteen
years. Then coming to this county he entered the
employ of W. II. Hartley, now a resident of Fair-
mount, and he attended school two winters after-
ward. He was married in March. 1880. to Miss
Celia. daughter of John and Rachel Frances! Collins)