Louis, Jr., Albert, Rudolph and Ida.
Martin Flanagan is a native of Ireland, born in
1824. Came to America in 1843, and tor fourteen
years lived in Vermont. Located in St. P:iul in
1856 ; was employed in a wholesale grocery and
liquor house five years. He was afterward in
the employ of Walter and Wells six years. In
1880 he formed a partnership with Peabody Bro-
thers, the firm name being Peabody Brothers and
Company. November 16th, 1858, he married
Miss Sarah Moran, who has borne him seven
children: T. R., Martin P., John J., and George
are the living.
Charles E. Flaudrau, was born July 15th, 1828,
in New York city. His father, Thomas H., was
a descendent of the Huguenots, born at New Ro
chelle. New York. He was for many, years a
law partner of Colonel Aaron Burr, in New York
city. Elizabeth M.,the mother, was a sister of
General Alexander Macomb, commander-in-chief
of the Fnited States array. Charles acquired his
education at priv.ite schools in Washington
and Georgetown, District of Columbia. In 1842,
he left the parental roof and for three years fol-
lowed the sea. He learned the trade of mahog-
any sawing in 1849, in hi.s native city, also stud-
ied law at Whitesboro, New York. November
3d, 18")3, he located in St. Paul, and has since
practiced law continually. He has not only been
successful as a lawyer, but has always manifested
a deep interest in the welfare of the city, having
often been called upon to fill positions of trust
and honor. He was a deputy clerk of the United
States district court, and notary public in 1854;
member of the territorial council in 1S55; United
States Indian agent for the Sioux of the Missis-
sippi, in 1856; member of the constitutional con-
vention of Minnesota, in 1857; associate justice
of the supreme court of Minnesota territory, in
1857; associate justice of supreme court of the
state from 1857 to 1864; and judge advocate gen-
eral of Mhiiiesota, in 1858. lie was also presi-
dent of tlie first Board of Trade organized in
JMinneapolis; was democratic candidate for gov-
ernor of the state in 1867; democratic candidate
for chief justice of state, in the fall of 1869, and
in 1868 was chairman of the democratic state
central committee. August 10th, 1859, he mar-
ried Miss Isabella R. Dinsmore, of Kentucky.
Married for his second wife, Rebecca B. Riddle,
(if Pennsylvania, February 28th, 1871. Two sons
and two daughters have been born to them.
George J. Flint, son of John C. Flint, was born
February 10th, 1840, at Fort Plain, xMontgumery
county. New York. lie was educated at Fort
Plain seminary, and read law with E. L.Stevens,
at Rome, New York, and was admitted to the bar
in 1870. He practiced law at Cherry "S^alley, Ot-
sego county, and in Rome, New York, until 1878,
then moved to St. Paul, where he has since con-
tinued the practice of law.
Mark D. Flower was born at Chagrin Falls,
Cuyahoga couuty, Ohio, March 31st, 1841. Came
west in 1847. Received an academic education
SAINT PAUL— BIOGRAPHICAL.
and in 185.5 came to Minnesota. When tlie war
broke out, he was attending the Aurora institute,
at Aurora. Illinois. Leaving school he enlisted
as a private, seiTed as such over two years.
Was promoted for meritorious services at the bat-
tle of Corinth, to captain and assistant adjutant-
general. Was appointed adjutant-general of
Minnesota, by Governor .Vustiii: he continued
through the governor's administration and was
re-appointed by Governor Davis, and served
through his term. In 1878 was elected chief
clerk of the Minnesota legislature and re-elected
in 1879. In the spring of that year was appoint-
ed collector of customs at the port of St. Paul; in
December, 1880, was appointed supervising in-
spector of steam vessels, for the fifth United
States district, in which position he still serves.
In 1878 was elected by the republican state con-
vention, secretary of the state central committee.
Mr. Flower has been prominently identilicd with
the political history of the state for the past
twelve years. At Memphis, Tennessee, in Octo-
ber, 1864, he married Miss Lena Gutherz.
Michael Foley was born in 1860, and is a native
of Jlissouri. When only seven years old he came
to St. Paul, and attended the public schools, af-
terward was instructed in the school of Cluistian
Brothers for three years. He then engaged in
the grocery business for himself, which is quite
commendable for a young man of his age. He
has by honesty and industry worked up a nice
Simeon P. Folsora was born December 27th,
1819, at Ascott, Lower Canada. He is by pro-
fession a civil engineer, and attorney at law. He
left the home of his childhood in 1839 and
came west. He became a resident of St. Paul
July 2.5th, 1817. One year was passed in the
Mexican war, also three years in the rebellion.
During the North-east boundary difficulty be-
tween Maine and Xew Brunswick, he served on
the staff of Major-General Bodlish, in February
and March, 1839, ranking as major. In 18.52-".33
he was clerk in the council of the legislature and
was the first city surveyor of St. Paul in 1854.
J. F. Frambach. foreman of the manufacturing
department of Liudekes, Warner and S(;hi.rmeier,
was born in New York city in 1850. He resided
in his native place until 1878, then came to St.
Paul. He learned the trade of cutting and tail-
oring, and has had supervision of several manu-
factories, prior to engaging with Lindekcs. Warner
and Schiirmeier. After locating at St. Paul he
was in the employ of Auerbach, Finch and Cul-
Anton Francois, a native of Germany, was
born in 1853. Came to this country in 1872,
locating in St. Paul. He learned the baker's
trade which he followed until 1877, then took
charge of a vegetable stand in the Market house
one year. He joined the volunteer fire depart-
ment in 1873, as a member of Hook and Ladder
company, No. 1, In which he served until the
company disbanded in October, 1877. At that
time the pay department was organized, he being
appointed call man of the same company: in ilarch
1879, was appointed driver of Hose No. 1; April,
1880, was made tillerman of Hook and Ladder
No. 1, and in August, was made foreman of Hose
No. 1. At Minneapolis, in lS7fl. he married Miss
Katie Mar.xen. They have one child, Frank A.
George W. Freeman, son of .Joseph and Sarah
Freeman, was born in England, May 2-Hh, 1845.
When a child of eight years he came to America,
and for two years lived in Cleveland, Ohio. He
was educated in the schools of St. Paul, and in
1859 engaged with a boot and shoe firm, continu-
ing until 1868. March 1st, of this year, he en-
gaged as traveling salesman for C. Gotzian and
Company, serving in that capacity till 1873, then
became associated with the lirm, and has since
remained in the house. Married to Miss Mary
I. Dony, at St. Paul, September 24th, 1868.
Stella M., George J., Olive L., Maude X. and
Charles D. are their children.
J. G. Freeman was born in Rutland, Vermont,
in 1832. He acquired the trade of machinist,
and in 1854 came to St. Paul. He first engaged
in business in the mills of the city, as a journey-
man. Subsequently he built the Long Lake
lumber mills, which he sold, then purchased a
one-half interest in a mill at Monticello, Wright
county. Two years later, he sold and went to
Chicago; after a residence there of three years,
his health failed, and he again came to St. Paul.
In 1870, he began dealing exclusively in engines,
on Wacouta street, his annual business being
from $30,000 to ^40,000. In 1873. he moved to
123 and 125 East Third street, and carries a
SISTOBY OF RAMSEY COUNTY.
general stock of engines, boilers, and all kinds
of saw and grist-mill machiner}" snpplies.
O. Fremstad, M. D., a native of Norway, was
born in 1S43. He graduated from tbe Royal
^Medical (Jymnastic Central Institute, of Stoek-
bolm. Sweden, in ISTI. He now practices his
chosen profession in St. Paul. ISIiss Anna Rund-
quist became his wife in Xorway, in 1872. Three
children have been born to them.
Peter Fritz was bom September 14th, 1852. and
is a native of Wisconsin. He was married in
October, 1879, and has a little son. Mr. Fritz as-
sociated himself with INIr. Birkholz, in the har-
ness trade, in Xovember, 1879. They located at
172 AVest Third street, and employed two men.
They are doing a fine business in the manufac-
ture of harness and saddles.
F. W. Frohne was born in Berlin, Wisconsin,
1853. He was educated in his native town, and
in 1869 went to Watertowu. Wisconsin, and
learned the trade of watchmaker, serving as an
apprentice three years. He worked three years
for bis employer, and in 1875 came to St. Paul.
After working one year for Mr. Wittelshofer, he
worked for D. C. Greenleaf three years. He
then embarked in the jewelery business for him-
self, lias remained in the same business since, at
149 East Thiid street.
Nathan Gallup, freight agent for the Northern
Pacific railroad, was born at Mystic, Connecticut.
in 1848. He entered the employ of the old St.
Paul and Pacific railroad company, in 1872. served
two years as check clerk, and was promoted at that
time, to billing clerk. In this position he served
until April 2(ith, 1879, when he was appointed
Henry Galvin, policeman, was born April i:!th,
1830, and is a native of Ireland. He acquired a
common practical education, and in 1852 came to
America. His first three years were spent in
Westport, Connecticut, thence came to St. Paul in
in 1855, via the copper mines of Miclngan. One
year subsequent to his arrival, he was appointed
on the police force; since 1875, has been located
at the depots. He is one of the "original four,"
which renders him the oldest on the force. At
St. Paul, October 14th, 1855, he was united in
marriage with Miss Mary Mullen. John, aged
twenty-three, Lewis, eighteen, and Mary A.,
twenty, are their living children. Two died in
infancy, and Henry at the age of tliirleen years.
S. B. Gault was born in Merrimack county,
New Hampshire, in 1884. He accepted the posi-
tion of check clerk for the Western railroad com-
pany, of Illinois, now known as tbe Wabash, St.
Louis and Pacific, in 1854. He has since that
time been connected with the different roads
through the "West. The Star Union and National
Freight Line company, started at St. Paul in 1870,
with C. R. Capron as agent, who continued as
such until the spring of 1873, when Mr. Gault was
ap]iointed to the position.
J. C. Geary, a native of Ireland, was born in
1849. He was educated in his native country and
in 1869 came to America. For two years he was
in the employ of A.T. Stewart, in New York city;
came to St. Paul in 1872 and engaged as foreman
in the St. Paul Iron Works. Here he served five
years, then was contractor for the St. Paid Har-
vester works six years. Subsequently he em-
barked in the grocery and liquor trade on the cor-
ner of Third and Commercial streets. In New
York city in 1869. be married Miss Ellen Fraw-
lery, who has borne him seven children, five of
whom are living.
George F. (ieib, a native of Germany, was bom
in 1845. There he was educated and at the age
of fifteen years came to America. For three
years he followed different vocations in New
York city, then went to Nebraska territory,
remaining foiu" years as an engineer in saw and
grist mills. In 1868 became a resident of St.
Paul and until 1879 was a bar tender, then estab-
lished himself in the liquor trade at corner of
Fort and Colborns streets.
William Geib, of the firm of Trick and
Company, contractors, was Ijorn in (iermany, in
18t3. He learned cal)inet making in his native
country and in 1864 came to America. Proceed-
ing westward he located in St. Paul and for three
years worked at his trade. Since that time he
has been a carpenter and joiner. He began con-
tracting as one of the firm of Trick and Company,
April 16th, 1881. Miss Laura C. Lipke, became
his wife at St. Paul, May 31st, 1869. William F.,
Lizzie C, Charles F., Matilda A., Minnie E. and
an infant are their children.
Thomas P. Gere, son of George M. and Sarah
C. Gere, was born September 10th, 1842, at Wells-
SAIM PAUL -niOGRAPIIICAL.
burg, Chemung county. New York. When only
ten years old came to Minnesota, residing first at
Winona, then called Wal)asha prairie, afterward
making liis home at Cliatlield. He received an
academic education and w liilc yet a student, at tlic
age of nineteen, enlisted in Company U, i'il'Hi Min-
nesota Infantry. Was elected first sergeant at the
organization of the company; appointed second
lieutenant, Marcli i;4th, isiii!; lirst lieutenant,
August 20th, 1862; regimental adjutant, April
24th, 1863; brigade adjutant of second brigade.
first division of Si.xteentli Army corps in Marcli,
1864. He was mustered out at expiration of the
term of service, April 6tli, 1865. lie served at
Fort Kidgely during the siege with the Sioux In-
dians, in August, 1862. and with tlie Army of the
Tennessee, participating in tlie \'i( ksburg cam-
paign. Red River expedition and liattles atXash-
ville. In the latter named battle lie was slightly
wounded in the riglit wrist, while capturing a
battle flag from the enemy, for which deed he was
awarded by the secretary of war, a medal of
honor. Returning to IMinnesota, he commenced
civil engineering, the tlieory of which had been a
part of his study previous to entering the army.
He served successively on the St. Paul and Chi-
cago, now river division of the Cliicago, ISlilwau-
kee and St. Paul railway, tlie St. Croix and I.ake
Superior, United States sun-ey of the upper Mis-
sissippi under (Jeneral Warren, and on May 1st,
1867, was made assistant engineer on tlie St. Paul
and Sioux City, then the Minnesota Valley, the
western terminus being at Belle Plaine. Was
appointed cliief engineer January 1st, 1873, as-
sistant superintendent in .January, 1880, and after
the consolidation of the Omaha line was appointed
superintendent of the St. Paul division, October
1st, 1880. He is now superintendent of the Sioux
City division, being appointed to tlie position
June 1st 1881. Mr. Gere was united in marriage
with Florence I. Howard, at Ilowardsville, Illi-
nois, January 1st, 1868. She died tliree years
later. His second marriage was with Mary E.
Shepard at Mankato, Minnesota, September
16th, 1874. Mr. Gere's business engagements
l)rought him to St. Paul first in December, 1865,
but has been an actual resident since June, 1874.
Martin Getman was born in 1838, and is a
native of Jefferson county, Xew York. Wlien
fifteen years old, lie started in life on his own re-
sources. His boyhood days were mostly spent on
the lakes, as a sailor boy, after which he learned
the trades of carpenter and mill-wright. He
worked at his trade until coming to St. Paul, in
1870 ; three years later began in the grocery trade
in the St. Paul Harvester Works store building.
In 1880 he purchased bis present location, and
erected a grocery store of two stories, 20x50 feet.
W. S. Getty was born in Smithville, North
Carolina, in 1 851 . He received his literary educa-
tion in District of Columbia, acquired a knowl-
edge of drugs at Pliiladelpliia, and graduated in
pharmacy from the Pharmacy college of New
York city. In 1877 he came to St. Paul, and for
three years was in the employ of the government ;
then embarked in the drug trade, in company
with S. R. McMasters, under tlu' firm name of
McMasters and Getty, 428 Wabasha street.
A. Gessler, head miller in the St. Paul Roller
mills, is a native of Austria, born in 1843. He
learned the milling business in Hungary, which
vocation he pursued until coming to America, in
1878. Locating in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, he
worked in the Kagle mill two years, tlieii came to
Minneapolis, and was in the Washburn A mill a
short time. In December, 1880, he became a
resident of St. Paul, and has since been in the St.
Paul Roller mills, and in entire charge of the
milling department. Married in his native coun-
try in 1877, to Miss E. L. W. Mayer
Ellsworth M. (jibbs is a native of Lake City,
Minnesota, born March 31st, 1861. He graduated
from the high school of Lake City, with the class
of 1878. The same fall he went to Chicago, and
attended Herschey"s school of musical art, re-
maining till 1880. Coming to St. Paul at that
time, he engaged as traveling salesman for the
well-known firm of Dyer and Howard, and is
still serving in that caiiacity.
William Gieseking, a native of Germiiny, was
born in 1843, and was well educated in his native
language. Came to America in 1863, landing at
Baltimore, Maryland. After a short stay in Illi-
nois, be came to Rice county, Minnesota. En-
listed in 1864, in Company G, Second Minnesota
Regiment, and served until the close of the war.
While hi service he experienced a severe illness,
the effects of which still disable him. On return-
ing to civil life he siKiit two years in Miiiucapo-
lis in the milling business, then followed t'armiiig
mSTOBY OF BAMSEY COUNTY.
a few years. After locating in St. Paul, he was
in the employ of Averill, Russell and Carpenter
eight years. He is now in the grocery and liquor
trade on corner of Third and Commercial streets.
Married at Greenleaf, Minnesota, in 1871, to
Eliza Muhl. AVilliam is their only child.
Reverend Mahlon X. Gilbert was horn in Lau-
rens, Otsego county, New York, JIarch 23d,
1848. He prepared for college at Fairfleld semi-
nary, Herkimer county. July, 1866, he entered
the freshman class at Hobart College, at Geneva.
At the beginning of his senior year severe pul-
monary difficulties caused him to seek a more
genial clime. lie became tutor in a private fam-
ily in Madison county, Florida, for two years.
Returning north, he became principal of the
school of the Good Shepherd at Ogden, Utah.
During the fall of 1872, he entered the Seabury
Divinity school at Faribault, Miuuesola, from
which he graduated during the summer of 1875.
June 20th, 1875, he was ordained deacon by
Bishop "Whipple in the Cathedral at Faribault.
He took charge, soon after, of the mission at
Deer Lodge, Montana; remained until April,
1878, then accepted a call to the rectorship of St.
Peter's cliurch at Helena, ^Montana. Remaining
at Helena until .January, 1881, he then accepted a
call to preside over Christ church, at St. Paul.
At Philadelphia. Pennsylvania, May 20th, 1880,
he married Miss Fanny Pierpoint.
Luman A. Gilbert was born at Vernon, Oneida
county, Xew York, June 3d, 1837. Removed
with his parents to Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, in
1845, there remaining until the spring of 1850,
thence to Columbia comity, of tliat state. After
receiving the advantages tlie district scliools af-
forded, he attended the higli school of Portage
City; finished his education with a course at
Brockway college at Ripon. For several years
subsequently, he was successful as a teacher. In
1862, lie began the mercantile business at Par-
deeville, Wisconsin, continued ten years, and re-
moved to St. Paul in 1872. Since his location in
tliis city, he has been extensively engaged in the
gra'n trade, Viuying and shipping being his prin-
cipal branch of the business. He purchases in
nearly all tlie towns tributary to St. Paul, in ]Min-
nesota, Iowa and Dakota, and ships to the east-
ern markets. While living in Wisconsin, he was
justice of the peace two terms, also postmaster
several years, and is now inspector of schools
from his ward. In religious profession, he is a
Presbyterian, being an elder of that church; in
politics he is an ardent republican. January 1st,
1862. he married Miss Ellen Gardner, a lady of
education and rare excellence of character.
Charles D. Gilfillan w-as born July 4th, 1831, in
New Hartford, Oneida county. New York, He
moved with his father to Clienango county, when
eleven years old, remaining there five years at-
tending school during the winter season and
working on the farm and in a saw mill in the
summer. He afterwards spent tliree years at
Homer academy and Hamilton college, tlien went
to Missouri and stayed one year, mostly in St.
Louis. In 1851 located in Stillwater, Minnesota,
read law with M. E. Ames and was admitted to
the bar in 1853. In the spring of 1854 was elect-
ed first recorder of Stillwater, but resigned the
position during the fall and moved to St. Paul.
Tills city has since been his home, and for about
twelve years he practiced law. He has since
been connected with various enterprises, being
at present vice-president of the First National
Bank of St. Paul, and president of the St. Paul
Water Company. In 1864-'65, also in "76, he was
a member of tlie legislature. In 1877 was elect-
ed state senator and re-elected in 1878. Mr, (iil-
fillan was married in 1859 to Miss Emma C.
W^aage, of Montgomery county. New York, wlio
died in 1SC3. His second marriage was with his
first wife's sister, !Miss Fannie S. Waage. which
occm-red in 1865. By tliis union four children
were born: EmmaC, Fannie W., Charles O. and
John Melvin Gilman.son of John Gilman, sen-
ior, a pliysician, and Rutli Curtiss, was born in
Calais, Vermont, on the 7th of September. 1824.
His progenitors in tliis country came from Eng-
land and were early settlers in Massashusetts and
New Hampshire, one or two towns in those
states being named for the family. Dr. Ciilman
died when the subject of this sketch was only six
months old. The orphan boy spent his early
years receiving an education, graduating from the
Moutpelier academy in 1843. He read law with
Heaton and Reed, of Moutpelier, and was there
admitted to the bar in 1864. During the same
year he moved to New Lisbon, Ohio, and was
there in the practice of his profession for eleven
years, serving one term, in 1S40 ".")(). jii the legis-
lature of that state. In Sei)teniber, 1857, Mr.
Gilnian took anotlier western stride, bringing up
at St. Paul, then the north-western suburbs for
attorneys wishing to keep within tlie Ijounds of
business and civilization. Hed Indians never go-
ing to law and the Siou.\ but a few miles away.
He reached St. Paul just as the financial mon-
soon of that year had swept over the country.
Nothing daunted, he formed a partnership with
Hon. James Smith, junior, and has never taken
down his sign. He is now at the head of the
lirni of (Jilinaii, ('lough and Lane, one of the lead-
ing law lirms of St. Paul. In spite of more than
one moneyed crisis, through which he has passed
since he landed here twenty-one years ago, Mr.
Gilman has been on the whole a thrifty attorney.
Mr. Gilnian has served four terms in the Minne-
sota legislature, and has always been on the
judiciary and other important conunittees. His
experience in two states in the I'nion has made
him a valuable legislator. His abilities have
been put forth to good advantage in the house of
reiiresentatives, where his services have been
truly valuable. His atBliations have always been
witli tlie democratic inirty, of which he is one of
the leaders in Ramsey county. He has twice
been the democratic candidate for congress, but
as his party was greatly in the minority, he, of
course, was not elected. He has also been chair-
man of the dt mocratic stale central connnittee.
Mr. Gilman was Married to Miss Anna Coruwell,
of New Libson, Ohio, on the 2oth of .lune, 1857.
.Joseph Girnischeid is a native af Xassau. Ger-
many. He received a good education at the com-
mon schools of his native country. He left the
old home of hischildhood and crossed to this con-
tinent in 1K71. locating in St. Paul four years sub-
se(piently. lie is now employed as traveling
salesman for Ilaggenmiller and Kuhl. Miss
Maria Schott, of St. Paul, became his wife, in
Emanuel (iood was born September 27tb, 1827,
in Daupliin county, Pennsylvania. .Vpril Illi.
18.")(i. he started for Jlinuesota, arriving at St.
Paul the same month. On landing from tlie boat
more Indians than white men met his view. lie
first began work in the lumber business, and has
continued for the past thirty years. He worked
in the first saw-mill ever run in St. Paul. .\Ir.
(Jood was married in August. 1858, to Miss Sophia
Miss, a native of (ierniany, bom in 1884. Nine
children have been born to them: three sons and
three daughters are still living. Mr. Good has a
flue property, which consists of houses, lots, etc.
Rodney C. Gooding was born inGroton, Tomp-
kins county, New York, in 1840. Came to St.
Paul in 1856, and here received his education.
Commenced his business career with O. Curtis, as