George H. (George Henry) Thurston.

Allegheny county's hundred years online

. (page 42 of 43)
Online LibraryGeorge H. (George Henry) ThurstonAllegheny county's hundred years → online text (page 42 of 43)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


at Wilkinsburg, Wm. Hamilton, W. M., William Parke, S. W., James Johnston
J. W. In 1819 the Milnor Lodge No. 165 was held at Pittsburgh, Wm. McCand-
less, W. M., William Steele, S. W., James Eiddle, J. W. In 1817 Hamilton
Lodge No. 173 was held at Lawrenceville, Walter Forward, Solomon Brown, Alex.
Peniland, W. W. Fetterman, Nathaniel Fetterman were mentioned at this lodge.
Among other citizens of Pittsburgh's earlier days who were Masons, was Jas. W.
Eiddle, who published the first directory of the town, Magnus M. Murray who
was Mayor in 1828 and 1829.

Wm. Porter, the first iron manufacturer from whose works was organized the
first rolling mill at Pittsburgh. Anthony Beelen, who had the first white lead
works at Pittsburgh and one of the earliest foundries^ and was connectedas busi-



MASONIC HISTORY. Sll

ness agent with tlie second glass works. Henry Baldwin, Samuel Pettigrew who
was Mayor in 1832. Shepley K. Holmes, Kob't B. Mowery, eminent physicians
away back in the twenties and earlier. Judge Sam'l Jones who published the
directory of the city in 1826, and was in the banking firm of Sibbitt & Jones.
George Miltenberger who was engaged in copper manufacturing in 1807. Morgan
Neville, an editor and proprietor on the Gazette in 1818. Walter Forward, after-
ward secretary of the treasury. Patrick McKenna, the famous auctioneer of
1838-9. Chas. Shaler, the eminent lawyer. Francis Bailey, Capt. John Birming-
ham. It is not intended to compile a directory of Masons, but those names are
given to indicate how men, the most active in building the city were among the
order. In 1846 the anti-Masonic furor was begun and a bitter warfare was waged
against the Masons. It merged into the political organization of the county, and
the anti-Masonic party became a power in Pennsylvania, which elected Joseph
Ritner governor on the anti-Masonic ticket. Many lodges throughout the land
were blotted out, and Lodge No. 45 was the only one at Pittsburgh that survived.
The storm past, the order again raised its head and has continued to find favor.
There are to-day in Allegheny county thirty lodges where there was but one in
1846, and in the cities of Pittsburgh and Allegheny 2897 members of Craft Lodges.

The Masonic Hall, on Fifth avenue, was destroyed by fire on August 12, 1887,
and many historical reminiscences connected with it. It was in it that Jenny
Lind sang when at Pittsburgh. In it the Free Soilers held their convention Aug.
12, 1852, at which John P. Hale of New Hampshire was nominated for president
and George W. Julian, of Indiana, for vice president. It was a favorite hall for
entertainments of the higher order. The hall was dedicated October 19th, 1851,
and the corner stone of the new temple was laid with appropriate ceremonies
September 11th, 1888, by Joseph Eichbaum, Ei^ht Worshipful Grand Master of
Pennsylvania.

In Pennsylvania there have been but two Grand Masters selected from west of
the Allegheny Mountains, vi^., Samuel B. Dick, of Meadville, and Jos. Eichbaum,
of No. 219, Pittsburgh, in 1886-8. Geter C. Shidle, of No. 287, is D. D. G. M. of
District No. 28, and James S. McKean, of No. 525, D. D. G. M. of District No. 32.
James H. Hopkins was Grand Commander of the Grand Encampment of Knights
Templar of the United States. Also, James H. Hopkins, Geter C. Shidle, D. W.
C. Carroll, and Charles W. Batchelor have severally held the office of Eminent
Grand Commander of the Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of Pennsyl-
vania.

The Order of Odd Fellows.

The Order of Oddfellowship began in the city of London in the seventeenth
century, its object being both benevolent and beneficial. It had its origin in
America in 1819 with Thos. Wildey, when on the 20th of April, 1819, Washington
Lodge No. 1 was instituted in Baltimore. It was in the year 1821 the first Lodge
was formed in Pennsylvania, December 26th, in Philadelphia. On December
29th, 1828,^the Mechanics Lodge No. 9 was located in the city of Pittsburgh, being



312 ALLEGHENY COUNTY'S

the first in Allegheny county, and the first west of the Allegheny mountains. It
was instituted June 6, 1829, by Thos. Small, P. G. M., as a special deputy. The
first place of meeting is said to have been at the corner of Penn and Hand (now
Ninth) streets. In May, 1829, the house in which the Lodge was located took fire
and was burned, the Lodge losing its fixtures, regalia, etc. The Grand Lodge re-
garded it as a calamity to the whole Order, and a committee was appointed to
obtain contributions from the Eastern Lodges for its assistance. The Order was
at that time poor, and but $70 was obtained. This act of fraternal kindess brought
the Order into favorable notice, and the Lodge was re-established and began to

* prosper. The Order continues to prosper in Allegheny county, it ranking next

» to Philadelphia in Lodges, members and wealth.

-i Tlijb Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania is composed of 22,306 Past Grands, and

'' g^ has urfder its jurisdiction 941 Subordinate Lodges, with a membership of 84,810,
■■ ?"* who p^aid for relief during the year 1887 an amount equal to $51.68^% for each
^%,^| hour in the year,

4 • There are 64 Lodges in Allegheny county, with a membership of 5,176, who

, paid for relief to 719 members, during the year 1887, the sum of $28,134.94. Also,

15 Encampments of Patriarchs, with a membership of 607, who paid for relief

daring the year 1887, the sum of $2,595. The military branch of the Order is yet

hfits infancy, Canton Pittsburgh, No. 18, Patriarchs Militant, was mustered in

.about one year ago, whilst Canton Allegheny will soon be mustered in. There are

also seven Degree Lodges of the Daughters of Rebekah, with a membership of about

'f720, composed of the wives, daughters and sisters of Odd Fellows, whose objects,

* though similar in purpose, are mainly of a social character.

?• Of those who have held official positions in the Grand Lodge there were from

this county, as Grand Master, I^enry Lambert, of No. 475, in 1859-60 ; Alfred
Slack, of No. 241, in 1871-72 ; John A. Myler, of No. 182, in 1879-80 ; John W-
Haney, of No. 431, in 1887-88. As Grand Patriarch of the Grand Encampment
there were from Allegheny county, James A. Sholes, of No. 101, in 1870-71; Ed-
ward Jones, of No. 101, in 1877-78 ; and M. D. Wiley, of No. 101, in 1888. As
Grand Representative to the Sovereign Grand Lodge there were from Allegheny
county, P. Magee, in 1860-61; Hon. John H. Bailey, in 1866-69; and Alfred
Slack, in 1880.

Tiie Odd Fellows' Endowment Association, composed exclusively of Odd Fel-
lows, although a State organization, was projected and organized in Allegheny
county in 1878; is conducted on a mutual basis, and has had a successful career,
another instance of the pioneer character of the county. It has for its object
°^^, the payment of $2,000 upon the death of a member; has now nearly 3,000 mem-

bers, and has paid to the families of deceased members up to May 1, 1888, the sum
of $271,786, of which amount the sum of $54,000 was paid during the year 1887.
Its first officers were John A. Myler, president ; J. H. Elton, treasurer, and Henry
Steuernagel, secretary. The latter declined a re-election in 1880, and was succeeded
by Geo. C. Johnstone, the present secretary.



•.,^'




i' ■


I



'■f>?wTi



Established 1863.

TRADESMENS NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.

Wood Street, Cor. Fourth Ave.

Capital, - - - S400,000.

Surplus, - - - 400,000.

President — A. Bradley.

Vice President — W. Vankirk.

Cashier — Ross W. Drum.

Directors— A. Bradley, Oliver P. Scaife, Wm.
Vankirk, W. D. Wood, Sullivan Johnson, Jas.
M. Schoonmaker, John C. Risher, John Dunlap,
John F. Dravo, thas. H. Bradley, S. Hamilton.

Established 1863.

FIRST NATIONAL BANK

OF ALLEGHENY.
No. 114 FEDERAL STREET.



Capital,
Surplus,



$350,000.
100,000.



President — James McCutcheon.
Cashier — E. P. Kramer.

Directors — James McCutcheon, C. C. Boyle,
Geo. W. Cochran, E. Groetzinger, Wm. Har-
baugh, Joseph McNaugher, John Ogden, John
Thompson.

Established 1875.

THIRD NATIONAL BANK

OF ALLEGHENY, PA.
No. loi FEDERAL STREET.



Capital,
Surplus,



$300,000.
50,000.



President — W. M. McKelvy.
Vice President — R. H. Boggs.
Cashier — H. A. Spangler.

Directors— K^wrj Warner, W. H. Conley, N.
H. Voegtly, Thomas Morrow, W. M. McKelvy
W, S. McKinney, Samuel McKnight, David
McFerron, R. H. Boggs.

Established 1859.

UNION NATIONAL BANK

Cor, Fourth Ave. and Market St.,

PITTSBURGH.

Capital, - - . $250,000.

Surplus, - - - 500,000.

President — Robert S. Smith.
Cashier — Charles F. Dean.
Assistant Cashier — Geo. M. Paden.

Directors — R. S. Smith, Wm. Barker, Jr.,
Addison Lysle, Charles Atwell, J. C. Lappe, A.
G. Cubbage, Joseph Home, Samuel Wilson,
Thos. M. Armstrong.



Established 1864.

:pitxsbtji2.<3-h:
NATIONAL BANK OF COMMERCE,

Sixth Avenue and W^ood Street.



Capital,
Surplus,



$500,000.
350,000.



President — Joseph T. Colvin.
Cashier — Chas. I. Wade.

Directors— :i . T. Colvin, H. C. Frick, Chas.
Lockhart, J. N. Anderson, A.W. Mellon, Wm.
Pickersgill, Jr., Sam'l S. Brown, J. W. Arrott,
P. C. Knox.

Established 1869.

531 Smithfield Street,

PITTSBURGH.

Capital, - . - $300,000.

Surplus, ... 56,000.

President— G. C. Shidle.
Cashier — C. B. McLean.
Assistant Cashier — W. R. Christian.

Directors — Geter C. Shidle, John Caldwell,
William C. King, William F. Wilson, John J.
Lawrence, Harry P. Dilworth, G. W. vSimonds,
John M. Kennedy, William McCullough, James
A. Sholes, Joseph Eichbaum, John F. Scott,
Chas. B. McLean.

Established 1859.

SECOND NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.

Cor. Ninth St and Liberty Ave.

Capital, • • . $300,000.

Surplus and Undivided Profits, 190,000.

President — James H. Willock.
Cashier — Thomas W. Welsh, Jr.

Directors — James H. Willock, Franklin Os-
burn, G. E. Nieman, George H. Dauler, M. B.
Suydam, William McConway, Levi Wade, G.
N. Hoffstot, William Curry.



Established 1864.

FOURTH NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.
No. 82 FOURTH AVENUE.



Capital,
Surplus,



$300,000.
61,568.



President — James M. Bailey.
Cashier — S. D. Herron, Jr.

Directors — James M. Bailey, John M. Horner.
Jacob Porter, Stephen C. McCandless, John B,
Jackson, John D. Nicholson, S. D. Herron, Jr



Established 1870.

MARINE NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.

No. 301 Smithfield Street.

Capital, . . . S330,000.

Surplus, . . . 83,366.

President— W. W. O'Neil.

Vice President— W. F. Wilson.

Cashier — W. C. Macrum.
Directors— D. W. C. Bidwell, Wm. France,
Geo. S. Griseom, W. Seward B. Hays, Howard
Hartley, Jacob Klee, Wm. J. Lewis, Robt.
Montgomery, John C. Phillips, C. M. Robin-
son, J. B. Sneathen.

Established 1882.

COMMERCIAL NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.
No. 97 FOURTH AVENUE.
Capital, . . . SI300,000.

Authorized, . . 500,000.

Surplus, . . . 18,000.

President — M. W. Rankin.
Vice President— John W. Her r on.
Cashier— H. W. Bickel.
Pirectors—'M.. W. Rankin, John W. Herron,
H. D. Smith, J. S. Reymer, S. S. Marvin, J. H.
Borland, E. A. Myers, R. C. Emery, Henry
Warner.

Established 1879.

FORT PITT NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.

No. 79 FOURTH AVENUE.

Capital, .... $200,000

Surplus, .... 100,000

Undivided Profits, July 1, 1888, 63,320

President — D. Hostetter.
Cashier — D. Leet Wilson.

Directors — D. Hostetter, John C. Risher,
Samuel Ewart, Robt. H. King, Daniel Wallace,
James M. Bailey, Allen Kirkpatrick.

Established 1871.

FIFTH NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.



No. 16 SIXTH STREET.



Capital,
Surplus,



$100,000.
80,000.



President — Robt. Arthurs.
Cashier — A. C. Knox.

Directors — Robt. Arthurs, Ralph Bagaley, P.
C. Knox, Wm. W. Patrick, Jesse H. Lippencott,
J. B. Finley.



Established 1884.

KETSTOKE BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.

Office, Petroleum Exchange Building, Fourth Avenue,
between Wood and Smithfield Streets.



Capital,



»300,000.



President — J. J. Vandergrift.
Vice President — C. W. Batchelor.
Cashier — A. B. Davitt.

Directors— J. J. Vandergrift, R. C. Gray, J.
W. Craig, C. W. Batchelor, Henry Fisher, W.
H. Nimick, Geo. M. Laughlin, C. F. Klopfer,
J. I. Buchanan.

Organized 1810. Chartered 1814.

Capital, $1,200,000.

Surplus Fund, Sept. 12, 1888, $398,925.44.



BANK OF PITTSBURGH.

FOURTH AVE.

President — John Harper.

Cashier — William Roseburg.

Asst. Cashier — John A. Harper.
Directors.— John Harper, Reuben Miller,
Robert M. Tindle, William A. Caldwell, Fe-
lix R. Brunot, William Thaw, Jr., David
Macferron, Daniel Agnew, Andrew D. Smith
John Porterfield.

Established 1866.

THE PEOPLES SAVINGS BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.

No. 81 FOURTH AVENUE.

Capital, ... S300,000.

Surplus, - - - 105,000.

President — Wm. Rea.

Vice President— Thos. Wightman.

Sec'y and Treas.—'N. G. Von Bonnhorst.
Trnstees—E. P. Jones, Geo. Wilson, Hon. Ed-
win H. Stowe, Edward Gregg, Wm. Rea, John
A. Caughey, W. J. Moorhead, Thos. Wightman,
David McK. Lloyd.

Established 1873.

ANCHOR SAVINGS BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.

No. 134 FIFTH AVENUE.

Authorized Capital, - »100,000.

President — A. M. Brown.
Vice President — John Kelly.
Cashier — Robert J. Stoney.

Directors— A. M. Brown, John Kelly, Geo.
W. Schmidt, Col. John Ewing, George Glass,
David Steen, Goodman Y. Coulter, Henry
Smith, Jas. H. Scott.



Established 1865 — Shoenberger Furnaces.
W. H. Shoenberger & Co.

1868.
Shoenberger, Blair & Co.

1883-1888.

SHOENBERGER, SPEER & CO.

Blast Furnaces,

Corner ISth and Fike Streets.

Chas. L. Fitzhugh, Geo. K. Shoenberger,

John Z. Speer, John H. Shoenberger,
G. A. Steiner, Special Partners.

General Partners.

Established 1814— Allen & Grant.

1840. 1815.

M. Allen & Son. M. Allen & Co.

1850-1888.

Alex. Nimick. Geo. P. McBride.

John S. Slagle.

NIMICK & CO.

IROE" COMMISSION,

96 "Water Street, Pittsburgh.

Established 1842.
Elms & Chess, afterwards Campbell & Chess.

1854. 1860.

Chess, Wilson & Co. Chess, Smythe & Co.

1880-1888.

Henry Chess. Walter Chess. Harry B. Chess.

Thos. McK. Cook. Geo. R. Lawrence.

CHESS, CGOK & CO.

Nails, Tacks, Expanded Metal,

116 Water Street, Pittsburgh.

Established 1882.

EEPUBLIC IRON WORKS, Limited,

Manufacturers of

Black & Galvanized Sheet Iron,

25th Street, S. S., Pittsburgh.

E. C. Converse, Chairman.

Horace Crosby, Treas. and Gen'l Manager.

Novelty Works Variety Works

Established 18—. Established 1857.

18—.

Jones, Wallingford & Co.

1857.

Jones-Nimick Manufacturing Co.

1872.

Jacobus & Nimick Manufacturing Co,

1882-1888.

NIMICK & BRITTAN MF'a CO.
Builders' Hardware, Pad Locks,

Office, 411 Wood St., Pittsburgh.

Alex. Nimick, President.

Arthur Brittan, General Manager.

Glendy Si Graham, Sec'y and Treas.



Established 1828.
1845. Then

Freeman & Miller. Miller, Lloyd & Black.

1851.
Lloyd & Black.

1874-1888.

H. LLOYD, SON & CO.

BAR, SHEET AND BOILER IRON,

Second Aye., above Try, Pittsburgh.

Henry Lloyd, John W. Loyd, Wm. F. Lloyd.
Henry Balken.

McKEESPORT ROLLING MILL.

Established 1851. 1871.

W. Dewees Wood. W. D Wood & Co.

1884-1888.

W. D. WOOD & CO., Limited,

Manufacturers of Patent

PLANISHED SHEET IRON,

lll'Water Street, Pittsburgh.

W.'D. Wood. Allan W. Wood.

Rich. D. Wood. Thos. W. Wood

Established 1868.

McCONWAY, TORLEY & CO.

Manufacturers of

MALLEABLE IRON CASTINGS,

AND THE

JANEY COUPLEE.

Forty-Eighth Street and A. V. R. R.

PITTSBURGH, PA.

Established 1878.
PITTSBURGH BRIDGE CO.

Manufacturers of

HIGHWAY BRIDGES,

Railway and Structural Iron Work.
38th St. and A. V. R. R., Pittsburgh.

Established 1802— Jeffrey Scaife.

1834. 1838.

Wm. B. Scaife & Co. Wm. B. Scaife.

1849.

Scaite & Atkinson.

1850.

Scaife, Atkinson & Oakley.

1853.

Wm. B. Scaife.

1863-1888.

WM. B. SCAIFE & SONS,

Structural] Iron 'Workj^ Roofing, &c.

Office, 119 First Avenue.

Oliver P. Scaife. Chas. C. Scaife.

Marvin F. Scaife.



BRANCV^



,,<.''"= CARNEGIE""'^"*
'"^'*'- ASSOCIATIONS, -<!*»»a.^



BLAST FURNACES.



Edgar Thomson Furnaces, 7 Stacks.

Bessemer Station, Allegheny County, Pa.

Lucy Furnaces, 2 Stacks.

51st and Railroad Streets, Pittsburg.



IRON AND STEEL
ROLLING MILLS.



' Upper Union Mills, 8 Trains Rolls.

33d Street and A. V. R. R., Pittsburg.

Lower Union Mills, 5 Trains Rolls.

29th Street and A. V. R. R., Pittsburg.

Homestead Steel Works, 6 Trams Rolls.

Munhall Station, P. V. &. C R. R., Pa.

Hartman Steel Works. 4 Trains^bftisi'

Beaver Falls, Pa.



BESSEMER
STEEL WORKS.



Edgar Thomson Steel Works, 3 lo-Ton Converters.

Bessemer Station, Penn'a R. R.

Homestead Steel Works, 2 5-Ton Converters.

Munhall Station, P. V. & C. R. R.



OPEN HEARTH
STEEL WORKS.



{



Homestead Steel Works,
Munhall Station.



3 25-Ton Furnaces.
I 20



STEEL RAIL MILL. |



Edgar Thomson Steel Works, 1000 Tons Rails per day.
Bessemer Station, Pa,



ARMOR PLATE MILL



•t



Homestead Steel Works,

Munhall Station, Pa.



f Armor Plates, Slabs,
\ Heavy Shafting.



BRIDGE WORKS.



WIRE MILLS.



{20,000 Tons Material,
Equal to 10 Miles Bridge
Work per annum.
51st and Harrison Streets, Pittsburg.



{



Hartman Steel Works, too Tons Wire per day.

Beaver Falls, Pa.



WIRE NAIL
FACTORIES.



{



Hartman Steel Works,

Beaver Falls, Pa.



("20,000 Kegs Wire Nails
\ per month.



ORE MINES.



Scotia Ore Mines. f75'°°o Tons Hematite

( Ore per annum.
Centre County, Pa.

American Manganese Co., Ltd. / 20,000 Tons Manganese

(. Ore per annum.
Crimora, Va.



COKE OVENS.



Larimer Coke Works, 300 Ovens.

Carnegie Station, Penn'a R. R.

Youghiogheny Coke Works, 200 Ovens.

Douglas Station, P., McK. & Y. R. R.



NATURALGAS LINES | <=-"««» Natural Gas Co. {f^p^^t'ng Wells,

^ To Murraysville and Grapeville Fields.



ENAMEL WORKS.



f American Enamel Co., Limited. / ^- ^- ^}^^°'^ ^

■j ( otreet bigns.

(. Beaver Falls, Pa.



Established 1824.
Peter Shoenberger.

183-
Peter Shoenberger & Son.

1836.
G. & J. H. Shoenberger & Co.

1863-1888.

SHOENBERGER & CO.

Manufacturers of

15th and Etna Streets,

PITTSBURGH, PA.

Charles L. Fitzhugh,^

John Z. Speer, > General Partners.

G. A. Steiner, j

?,'£. H's\T.'ggr, } Special Partner..

Established 1852.

1852. 1854.

Jones, Lauth & Co. Jones & Laughlin.

1883-1888,

JONES & LAUGHLIN, LT'D,

Manufacturers of

IRON AND STEEL,

Nails, Cold Eolled Shafting,
Cor. Try St. & Third Av., Pittsburgh.

B; F. Jones, Chairman.

Geo. M. Laughlin, Thos. M. Jones,

Sec. & Treas. General Mangr.

Established 1865.

MSLLER, METCALF & PARKIN

CRESCENT STEEL.

Office, 136 First Av. Pittsburgh, Pa.

New York, 480 Pearl Street.
Chicago, 64 & 66 S. Clinton St.

Reuben Miller. Wm. Metcalf. Chas. Parkin.

Established 1829— M. S. Meason.

Then Then

Miltenberger & Brown. Bailey, Brown & Co.

Then

BROWN & CO.

lEON AND STEEL,

Tentli St. and Duquesne Way,

John H. Brown,

J. Stewart Brown, PITTSBURGH.

Henry Graham Brown.



Established 1859— Hussey, Wells & Co.

1876.

Hussey, Howe & Co.

1880.

Hussey, Howe & Co., Limited.

1888.

HOWE, BROWN & CO., Limiied

OAST STEEL,

Seventeenth and Penn Avenue.



Established 1863.
Jas. P. Witherow.



1879.
Witherow & Gordon.



1884-1888.

JAS. P. WITHEROW,

Engineer and Contractor,

Furnace and Steel Works Construction,

LEWIS BLOCK,

Sixth Ave. and Saithfield St., Fittsbargh.

Established 1869.
1869. 1870.

Wm. Clark. Wm. Clark A Co.

1887-1888.

WM. CLARK'S SON & CO.

Manufacturers of

IRON AND STEEL.

HOOPS AND BANDS.
Cor. 35th and Charlotte, Pittsburgh.

Established 1872.

P. O. NICOLS,

Agent and Dealer in

IRON, STEEL, ETC.

No. 8 Wood Street,

PITTSBURGH, PA.

Established 1848.

SINGER, NIMICK & CO. LT'D,

Manufacturers of

3t:h::bijS,

No. 83 Water Street, - Pittsburgh.

Wm. H. Singer, Chairman.
Geo. Singer, Jr., Sec. & Treas.



Established 1862.



PITTSBURGH BANK FOR SAVINGS

No. 60 Fourth Avenue.



Assets, July Ist, 188S,
Capital Stock paid in,
Surplus Fund,
Undivided Profits,



Sl,795,162.00
75,000.00
75,000.00
16,390.43



President— Geo. A. Berry.
• Vice PresVs— Alex. Bradley and R. C. Schmertz.
Sec^y and Treas. — Charles G. Milnor.
Board of Managers— Geo. A. Berry, H. C.
Bughman, T. C. Lazear, Geo. A. Kelly, Alex.
Eradley, Chas. F. Wells, Frank Rahm, L. M.
Plumer, R. C. Schmertz, Jas. Laughlin, Jr.,
Jacob Painter, Jr., John Scott, Jas. L. Graham,
J. K. Dorrington, C. G. Milnor.

Established 1881.

IRON AND GLASS

DOLLAR SAVINGS BANK

No. 1115 Carson Street, S. S.

Capital, - - - S100,000.

President — Thomas B. Atterbury.

Cashier — Henry Stamm.

Assistant Cashier — John Dunwoody.

Directors — T. B. Atterbury, Daniel Wenke,
John Gallaher, F. Baxmyer, E. P. Logan, Chas.
Poth, John Davies, M. Kimmel, W. J. Lewis,
Robt. McDonald, Thomas Evans, Geo. A. Mac-
beth, James E. Duncan.



Established 1866.

LAWRENCE SAVINGS BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.
Cor. Penn Ave. and Butler St.



Capital,
Surplus,



S80,000.
50,000.



President — W. W. Young.
Cashier — John Hoerr.

Directors — W. W. Young, A. H. Ahlborn, Jas.
B. Young, Thos. B. Stewart, Sam'l McMahon,
Wm. Flaccus, John C. Kirkpatrick, Geo. Mc-
Kee, John Hoerr.

Established 1884.
JOHN M. OAKLEY & CO.

BANKERS AND BROKERS,

Member Chicago Board of Trade,

Member Pittsburgh Oil Exchange,

-5:5 Sisstla, Street.
1888.



Established 1849 by Patrick & Friend.

1854-1888.

R. PATRICK & CO.

B .Au IST IC E I^ S ,

No. 53 Fifth Aveuae,

PITTSBURGH, PA.

Established 1859 by Semple & Jones.

1888.

W. R. THOMPSON & CO.



BANKERS,



Corner of Fourth Ave. and Wood St.

PITTSBURGH.

Established 1821.

N. HOLMES & SOISTS,

BANKERS,

30© ^vsTarlcet Street,
PITTSBURGH.

1888.

Established 1869.

T. MELLON & SON,
BANKERS,

SI.3 Sraitla-fLeld. Street,

PITTSBURGH.

1888.

Established 1882.

REA BROS. & CO.

BANKERS AND BROKERS,

435 Wood St., Pittsburgh, Pa.

Members of New York, Philadelphia and
Pittsburgh Stock Exchanges. Private wires
to New York and Philadelphia.



Established 1S57,



Established 1860.



ALLEGHENY NATIONAL BANK GERMAN NATIONAL BANK



OF PITTSBURGH.

No. 45 FIFTH AVENUE.

Capital, - - - *500,000.

Sarplas, . - - 160,000.

Fre^ideni—\V . McCandless.
Vice President— 3 oshna Khodes.
Cashier— F. C. Hutchinson.

I>iredo):t—W. McCandless, Joshua Rhodes,
John Caldwell, Jr., B. H. Ruble, William
Stewart. Thos. Evans, James McGregor, J.
McM. King, Walter Chess.

Established 1851.

CITIZENS NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH,
Cor. "Wood and Diamond Streets.



Capital,
Surplus,



S800,()00.
175,000.



President — George A. Berry.
Cashier— B.. K. Wilson.

i)!rec/o?-5— G^eorge A. Berry, Jno. C. Risher,
Frank Rahm,Wm McCreery, H. C. Bughman,
Wm. B. Negley, Robert Pitcairn, Geo. W. Dil-
worth, A. C. McCallam.



Established 1836.

THE EXCHANGE NATIONAL BANK

OF PITTSBURGH.
fifth Aveauo, between Wood and Mariet Sts.



Capital,
Surplus,



Sl,300,000.
400,000.



President— 'y'L&.x\ W. Watson.
Vice President— John H. Dalzell.
Cashier — Andrew Long.
DiVec/c//-.s— Mark W. Watson, John H. Dal-
zell, John H. Shoenberger, Frank S. Bissell,
Calvin Wells, C. B. Herron, J. P. Hanna, H. S.
McKee, John B. Jackson, J. W. Dakell, W. H.
Singer, Jas. W. Brown, M. K. Moorhead.

Established 1852.



OF PITTSBURGH.

Cor. Wood Street and Sixth Ave.

Capital, - - - 82.50,000.

Authorized Capital, - 500,000.

Surplus, - - - 390,0U0»

President — A Groetzinger.
Cashier — Jos. Laurent.

Directors — A. Groetzinger, E. H. Myers, H. H,
Xieman, P. Haberman, E. Fraueuheim, Martin
Lappe, Christian Siebert, John F. Havekotte,.
Jos. Vogel, Sr.

Established 1?57.

IRON CITY NATIONAL B\NK

OF PITTSBURGH.

No. 74 FOURTH AVENUE.

Capital, - - _ $400,000.

Surplus Fund, - - 250,000.

Presiderif — Alex. M. Byers.
Cashier — Oliver Lemon.

Directors — Alex. M. Byers, James Herdman,
E. M. Bvers, Lewis Irwin, S. Lindsav. Jr., W.
W. Speer, J. B. D. Meeds. J. Kidd Fleming,
Jno. R. McGinley, J. D. Layng, Chas. L. Cole,.
Wm. N. Frew, Jas. H. Reed.

Established 1833.
Merchants and Manufacturers

OF PITTSBURGH.

No. 6i FOURTH AVENUE.

Capital. ■ • . $800,0 00



Online LibraryGeorge H. (George Henry) ThurstonAllegheny county's hundred years → online text (page 42 of 43)