eBooksRead.com books search new books
George McCall Theal.

History of Knox and Daviess County, Indiana : from the earliest time to the present; with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. ; together with an extended history of the colonial days of Vincennes, and its progress down to the formation of the state government online

. (page 30 of 85)
Online LibraryGeorge McCall ThealHistory of Knox and Daviess County, Indiana : from the earliest time to the present; with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. ; together with an extended history of the colonial days of Vincennes, and its progress down to the formation of the state government → online text (page 30 of 85)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Burnet's first wife. She was the mother of two children by a
former marriage, viz: Eugenie M., widow of A. G. Hinman,
and Julia A., wife of D. C. Fellows, Lincoln, Neb. Mr. Burnet
was a farmer and fruit-grower, and was very successftd in those
callings. He owned a large tract of fine land, under good culti-
vation, adjacent to Vincennes. The farm residence is well lo-
cated, and is one of the most beautiful houses in the county.
Mr. Burnet was a Whig and Republican in politics, but did not
take an active part in political affairs. In religion he was con-
servative, but was an elder in the Christian Church, and during
the most of his religious life was urged to occupy the pulpit.
His death, which occurred February 14, 1885, took frorn the
community one of its most valued citizens.

STEPHEN S. BUBNET of Vincennes, Ind., was born near
Cleveland, Ohio, April 8, 1834, and is a son of Stephen and
Lamira Gardner Burnet. He came to this city with his parents
in 1852 and remained here until 1858, when he went to Missouri,
and was superintendent of lead mines in the southern part of the
State two years. In 1862 he removed to Nashville, Tenn., and
was engaged in furnishing sutlers' supplies to the army until 1865,
when he engaged in the wholesale liquor business in Paducah,
Ky., and finally returned to this city in 1868 and engaged in the
tobacco bos factory and planing-mill business, continuing ever
since with good success. In 1856 he led to Hymen's altar Kate
Nauce, a native of Putnam County, Ind, Mr. Burnet is a Repub-
lican in politics, although formerly a Democrat. He was a warm
admirer of Gen. Garfield, and after his nomination to the presi-
dency he became a Republican, and has remained such to the



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 321

present time. He is a member of the K. of H. and Royal Arca-
num fraternities, and is recognized as a prominent business man
of this city.

THOMAS EASTHAM, partner of Stephen S. Burnet, was
born in Nelson County, Ky., February 25, 1835, and is a son of
Isaac N. and Eliza (Sweets) Eastham, natives of Kentucky. The
Eastham family came to Vincennes in 1851, and for a number of
years the father was United States mail carrier from Louisville to
St. Louis by stage coach, having in use 300 horses on the route,
and later carried the mails from Cairo to New Orleans by steam-
boat. He died in Vincennes in 1873. Thomas was raised in Ken-
tucky. At the age of eighteen years he began carrying the mails
by stage from Vincennes to Orleans, Ind., and Shawneetown, 111.,
and then kept a livery stable in this city for about ten years. In
1869 he became a partner with Mr. Burnet in the present business.
In 1860 he married Lydia J. Burnet, a native of Cleveland, Ohio.
They have had five children, four now living: Stephen S., Kate
B., Alice T. and Jesse L. Mr. Eastham is a Democrat in politics
and a member of the K. of H. and Royal Arcanum. The build-
ing in which these gentlemen have their factory was erected
about 1860 by Curry, Ackerly & Co. for a furniture manufactory,
and was used as such until 1869, Mr. Burnet becoming a partner
of Curry & Gardner, who succeeded Mr. Ackerly in his business
in 1868. In 1869 Mr. Gardner withdrew from the firm, and
Thomas Eastham purchased a one-half interest in the business.
They conducted a planing-rnill and carried a general line of lum-
ber and building material ; but in April, 1882. they began the ex-
clusive manufacture of tobacco boxes, taking Henry Eberwine as
partner the same year. October 1, 1885, he withdrew from the
firm, and since that time the other two gentlemen have carried on
the business very successfully alone. They manufacture about
1,000 boxes per day and send them to St. Louis, Mo., where they
have a ready sale. They employ about fifteen hands.

EDWARD P. BUSSE, M. D., was born in Vincennes, Ind.,
June 6, 1862, son of William and Sophia (Hella) Busse, and is
of German lineage. His parents were born in Germany in' 1829
and 1827 respectively. The father came to America when about
sixteen years old, and he and the mother died in Vincennes. Ed-



322 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.

ward P. obtained his education in the public schools and the high
school of Vincennes. He began the study of medicine in 1880,
and that same year entered the Bellevue Hospital, New York, and
remained there three years, graduating in September, 1883. He
then located permanently in Vincennes, and has continued to
make this his home ever since. He has practiced his profession
very successfully and is also engaged in the drug business. He
is one of the prominent young physicians of this city and is suc-
ceeding well in his profession. He is a member of the German
Evangelical Church.

HON. HENEY S. CAUTHOEN was born in Vincennes, Feb-
ruary 23, 1828. He is the son of Gabriel T. and Susan Sullivan
(Stout) Cauthorn. His father was a native of Esses County, Va.,
and was educated at the university of that State, graduating from
the literary and medical departments. He came West in 1823, lo-
cating at Lawrenceville, 111., where he practiced medicine until
his death in 1831. The mother of Mr. Cauthorn was a daugh-
ter of Elihu Stout, who founded the Vincennes Western Sun
newspaper in 1804, and continued its publication until 1815.
After the death of his father Mr. Cauthorn, with his mother, re-
sided with Mr. Stout, and soon after entered the printing office of his
grandfather, where he acquired the art of a practical printer. In
1840 he entered St. Gabriel College at Vincennes, and remained
a student in that school until 1845, when he matriculated at As-
bury University, Greencastle, Ind., which graduated him in 1848.
While a student at this institution he was distinguished as an es-
sayist and orator, obtaining prizes in competition with many fel-
low-students who have since arisen to great distinction in the State.
In 1851 he began the study of law at Vincennes, with Benjamin
F. Thomas, at that time United States District Attorney for In-
diana. He was admitted to the bar in 1853, and was the next
year elected district attorney for the judicial district comprising
the counties of Knox, Daviess, Pike and Martin. With the ex-
ception of the period covered by his services as clerk of the Knox
Circuit Court, Mr. C. has continued ever since his call to the bar
to engage in the practice of his profession. In the preparation
of causes and the execution of pleadings and other papers, pa-
tience, care and exactness eminently characterize his work. As



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 323

an advocate he is particularly distinguished. Always earnest,
logical and serious in his manner, he possesses a luxuriant fancy
which he uses often to emphasize skillful deductions from facts.
In 1855, upon the organization of the city government, he was se-
lected as its first law officer, and as city attorney, with the mayor,
Judge John Moore, framed the series of ordinances. In 1859, in a
spirited contest, Mr. Cauthorn was elected clerk of the circuit
court of his county, and at once began to bring order out of chaos in
that office. His system of keeping files and records soon made his
the model office of the State, and the order into which he soon ar-
ranged a mass of confused papers, accumulations of half a cen-
tury, was the marvel of every one familiar with the change. He
continued in. the office of clerk for two terms of four years each,
and in 1870 was elected a representative in the General Assem-
bly of the State, and was again elected to the same position in
1872, 1878 and 1880. At the session of 1879 he was selected as
speaker of the House, and discharged the duties of that office
in a most creditable and acceptable manner. As a legislator,
moderation and conservatism especially marked his course and
regulated his conduct. He is a Jeffersonian Democrat, not alone in
the partisan sense of the"term, but in that perfect confidence in the
ability of the people to properly regulate their most important af-
fairs without elaborate statutes to guide and control them. His
liberality and fairness to political opponents has secxired him warm
and deserved encomiums from his party adversaries, while his
unflinching devotion to the principles of the party to which he
belongs, in its days of misfortune, has made him strong in its
ranks and marked by its leaders for further promotion. In 1868
Mr - . Cauthorn was happily married to Margaret C. Bayard, and is
the father of seven children, six of whom are living — two sons
and four daughters. He is a member of the Roman Catholic
Church, and also of the organization of the C. K. of A., of which
organization, in 1883, he was Supreme President for Indiana. In
his social and domestic relations Mr. Cauthorn is exceptionally
genial, indulgent and obliging.

OLIVEE W. CADWALLADER was bom March 5, 1836,
and is the youngest of nine children born to the marriage of Da-
vid Cad wall ader and Mary Jones. The parents were natives of



*J24 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.

Wales, and in 1820 came to the United States and settled in Del-
aware County, Ohio, where they lived till about two or three years
previous to their deaths, when they moved to Newark, Ohio.
Here they died in 1855, only a month apart. The father was a
Methodist Episcopal minister, and one of the prominent circuit
riders. His home was in the wilderness, and was often visited by
the Indians. Oliver W. was reared on an Ohio farm, and when
seventeen years old, entered the Ohio Wesleyan University, which
he attended until entering the sophomore year. He made his
parents' house his home until they died. He worked at the car-
penters' trade during tbe summer seasons, and taught school sev-
eral years. In 1877 he came to Knox County, Ind., where he has
since taught school, and ranks among the first educators of the
county. He owns 200 acres of finely-cultivated farming land, and
was married in 1801 to Martha Etlark, of Cardington, Ohio. They
have one child, George S., now a resident of Delaware County,
Ohio. Mrs. Cadwallader died in 1875, and a year later Mr. Cad-
wallader was married to Elizabeth Hinchman, who died in 1878.
His third marriage was to Jennie Field, of Lawrence County, Ind..
in 1880. She died in 1882, and his last marriage was to Naomi
Murphy, in 1883. The present wife is a member of the Christian
Church. Mr. Cadwallader is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is
a Republican, but liberal in his views. His son is a telegraph op-
erator and assistant railroad agent at Delaware, Ohio; is unmar-
ried and a graduate of the Delaware High School.

JACOB W. CASSELL, a prominent business man of Vin-
cennes, Ind., was born in Madison County, Ind., December 23,
1840, and is a son of Jacob and Eleanor (Allen) Cassell, who
were natives of Tennessee. Jacob W. was reared on a farm in
his native county, and secured a good literary education. He
graduated from the Commercial College of Pittsburgh, Penn., and
completed the two years' course at the Northwestern Christian
University at Indianapolis. In 1865 he came to Knox County,
Ind., followed by his parents some six years later. The father
died here December 8, 1884 In May, 1875, Mr.'Cassell moved
from his farm in the country to the city, and engaged in the whole-
sale and retail grocery business, which business he carries on at
the present time. He carries a large and select stock of



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 325

pertaining to his line of business, and controls a large share of
the trade in the city and county. December 1(3, 1874, he wedded
Miss Alice Turner, a native of Illinois, who has borne him four
children: Elizabeth E., Ernest M., Louana Verna Pearl and
William C. Mr. Cassell is a Democrat in his political views, and
is one of the wide-awake and enterprising business men of the
city of Vincennes.

SMILEY NEWTON CHAMBERS was born in the village
of Edwardsport, Knox Co., Ind., March 18, 1845. His father's
family were among the pioneers of the county; his great-grand-
father, Alexander Chambers, having moved into Knox County
shortly after the close of the Revolutionary war. Of his family
there were a number of children who settled in Knox and adjoin-
ing counties and became useful and influential citizens, one of the
sons, Joseph Chambers, filling many offices of public trust. He
was a strong, pure, intelligent man, whose influence is still felt in
the county. Our subject's mother was of a family as strong,
physically and mentally, as that of the father, and although not
so early in the county, have aided largely in its development.
Her name was Rachael Keith, and the family moved from Ken-
tucy to this State about 1820. His parents were married in 1838
and soon after settled at Edwardsport, where the father, Alex-
ander Chambers, engaged in the milling business. This venture
proved disastrous, and soon after they moved upon a farm in
Widner Township, which they developed and improved, and
where they died in the year 1866, leaving behind these children:
Nancy A., Elliott, Lottie O, Johnson and Smiley N. They re-
ceived the best education afforded by the public schools of the
county. Soon after the death of his parents Smiley N. entered
the college at Alton, 111., where he graduated in June, 1870. In
1863, when scarcely eighteen years of age, he volunteered his
services in the One Hundred and Fifteenth Indiana Regiment for
six months, and afterward in the 100 days' service in the Twenty-
fifth Indiana Battery and took part in the battle of Nashville,
December 15 and 16, 1864. He was discharged at Indianapolis
in July, 1865, having attained the position of sergeant in
the battery. Having read law one year in St. Louis, in 1871
he began the practice of that profession in Vincennes, where



326 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.

he has since continued, meeting with merited success. In 1872
he was candidate for the Legislature on the Republican ticket,
and although defeated, received the full support of his party.
He is a member and secretary of the board of trustees of the
Vincennes University and a member of the Presbyterian Church.
In 1870 he married Isadora McCord, daughter of AVilliam and
Eliza (Caboru) McCord, a highly accomplished and intelligent
lady. Their life has been happy and prosperous and their future
promises to be exceptionally bright.

CLAEENCE N. CHEEVEE, union ticket agent at Vin-
cennes, Ind., is a native of the eastern jmrt of the "Green Moun-
tain State." born July 13, 1849, son of Nathan and Lydia Ann
Cheever. The family are of English descent, and both parents
were born in Vermont and still reside there. Our subject was
educated in the schools of his native State, and at the age of six-
teen he obtained a situation in the office of the Metropolitan
Eailway Company, at Boston, Mass. In 1867 he went to Bur-
lington, Iowa, and was in the employ of the Northwestern Eail-
way Company. He remained there two years and there had
charge of the telegraph interests until 1873, when he came to
Vincennes and was given the position of assistant ticket agent,
which position he retained until 1880, when he was given the
position he now holds. He is the agent for the Ohio & Missis-
sippi, Evansville & Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Vincennes and
the Cincinnati, Vincennes & Chicago Eailways. In 1871 he was
married to Ida A. Woodward, born in Vermont in 1856. They
are the parents of these three children: May F.. lima and Helen.
Mr. Cheever is a Eepublican and became a member of the I. 0.
O. F. in 1875. For twelve years he has been identified with the
railway interests of the country and is an exceedingly popular
and courteous official.

HON. THOMAS E. COBB, member of the national House of
Eepresentatives, was born near the village of Springville, Ind.,
July 2, 1827, and is one of the children of Dickson and Merise
(Shelby) Cobb, the former a native of South Carolina, born in
1798, and the latter born near Haysville, Ky, in 1800. His
paternal grandfather was also a South Carolinian by birth, and
the family is of Scotch-Welsh descent, their genealogy being



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 327

traced back about 720 years. As early as 1813 the family of
which Mr, Cobb is a representative moved from South Carolina
to Ohio, and one year later settled in what is now Lawrence
County, Ind. They there participated in all the hardships and
inconveniences of pioneer life in the backwoods. The father of
Mr. Cobb held the office of county sheriff, was one of the
county's best citizens and died in 1878. The mother died at
Bedford, Ind., in 1866. Thomas E. Cobb passed his youth in
assisting his parents, attending school, and later teaching school
and attending the State University. In 1853 he began the study
of law at the State University at Bloomington, and the same year
was admitted to the Lawrence County Bar. He practiced his
profession at Bedford until 1867, when he moved to Vincennes,
which has since been his home. Mr. Cobb is one of the leading
Democrats of the State, and since manhood has figured promi-
nently in public affairs. The following is his record in brief: In
1852 was appointed a commissioner of Indiana militia; was a
member of the Indiana Legislature from 1858 to 1866; a Demo-
cratic candidate for elector in 1868 ; was president of the Indiana
State Democratic Central Committee, in 1876; a delegate to the
Democratic National Convention that nominated Tilden and
Hendricks in 1876; was elected to the Forty-fifth, Forty-sixth and
Forty-seventh sessions of Congress, and re-elected to the Forty-
eighth and Forty-ninth sessions. Mr. Cobb has justly the reputa-
tion of being an economist, having faithfully worked for the sav-
ing of the people's money during his entire congressional career.
He served on the Committee of Elections during the Forty-fifth
Congress and on the Appropriation Committee during the Forty-
sixth. The Forty-seventh being a Bepublican Congress, he was
placed on the Committee of Public Lands and the session follow-
ing was made chairman of that committee. During the Forty-
seventh he introduced a bill forfeiting the 'lands of railway cor-
porations for non-fulfillment of contracts, thus saving to the people
millions of money. In the Forty-fifth Congress he introduced
a bill and caused it to be passed in the succeeding session, pro-
viding for the sale of a tract of land beginning at the Wabash
Biver and extending to the city limits of Vincennes, thus secur-
ing to the city a most beautiful park. For many years Mr. Cobb



62H HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.

has been in public life, and while perfection is one of the impos-
sibilities of mortal man, his record has been s\ifficiently accepta-
ble to his constituents that he has always been re-elected with an
increased majority. In IS 50 Miss Caroline Anderson became his
wife and by him the father of five children: Orlando H., Alice,
Catharine, George B. and Arthur T. Mrs. Cobb was born in
Lawrence County, Ind., in 1830; a daughter of Archibald and
Catharine Anderson.

OBLANDO H. COBB, attorney at law of Vincennes, Ind., is
a native of Lawrence County, Ind., where he was born November
18, 1852. He is a son of Hon. Thomas B. and Caroline (Ander-
son) Cobb, and is of Scotch- Welsh origin. His boyhood days
were spent in Bedford, Lawrence Co., Ind., where he attended
the public schools, and there laid the foundation of his present
thorough education. In September, 1868, he entered the Indiana
University at Bloomington, and graduated from that institution
June 23, 1872, and the following year graduated in the law depart-
ment of t,he same school. In 1874 he was admitted to the Knox
County bar, and that same year he formed a partnership with his
father in the practice of his profession, and continued thus
until 1883, when John T. Goodman was taken into partnership,
and the firm is now known as Cobb, Cobb & Goodman. This is
one of the ablest and most sagacious law firms of southern Indi-
ana, as their large and extended practice indicates. Subject was
married, November 11, 1874, to Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas
P. and Margaret Beckes. Mrs. Cobb was born in 1853. In poli-
tics Mr. Cobb is a Democrat, and cast his first presidential vote
for Horace Greeley.

JAMES H. COCHBAN, proprietor of the La Plante Hotel at
Vincennes, Ind., was born in Gibson County, Ind., April 12, 1819;
son of William and Elizabeth (Colvin) Cochran; natives respect-
ively of Tennessee and Kentucky. James H. grew "to manhood
in his native county, and assisted his parents on the farm, but se-
cured a limited education. His father died when he was thirteen
years of age, and on him devolved the duty of assisting his mother
in providing for the family. He learned the carpenter's trade, at
which he worked for some time in Princeton, when his health
failed him and he contemplated returning home, but was offered



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. 329

a position as clerk in a hotel in that city and accepted, continuing
at that work in Princeton and Evansville until he was married.
He then kept hotel in Mount Carmel, III., fifteen months, and at
the end of that period returned to Evansville and owned and
managed the railroad hotel of that city a year. His wife, Mary
Anderson, died about this time, and he then returned to his first
employer, who had charge of a hotel in Evansville, and managed
the City Hotel until his marriage to his present wife, Margaret
(Mouser) Deer in 1856. He became general traveling agent for
the Evansville & Terre Haute Railroad, continuing in that capac-
ity seven years, when he conducted the old Parke Hotel in Rock-
ville, Ind., for six years. At the end of that time he engaged in
the book and stationery business in Evansville. In 1873 he again
engaged in the hotel business in Montezuma, Ind., and conducted
the Cochran House of that city four or five years. He again kept
hotel in Rockville, and then returned to Montezuma and remained
in the hotel business there until September, 1885. Since that
time he has had control of the La Plante House of Vincennes
with the best of success, as his long and varied experience would
insure. Mr. Cochran's last marriage was blessed with eight chil-
dren, four now living: Laura B. (wife of John E. Johnson), Jen-
nie (wife of George A. Smith), John W. (clerk of the hotel), and
Charley F. He also has two living children by his first marriage:
Alice A. (wife of Joseph Hunt) and Morris J., attorney at law in
Buena Vista, Col. Mr. Cochran is a Republican and a member
of the I. O. O. R, and he and wife are members of the Methodist
Episcopal Church.

WILLIAM A. CULLOP, prosecuting attorney for the Twelfth
Judicial Circuit, is a native of Busseron Township, Knox Co.,
Ind., born March 28, 1853, son of William and Maria J. Cullop,
who were born in Smith County, Va., and Vigo County, Ind., in
1829 and 1836 respectively. The mother, whose maiden name
was Patterson, died in 1874. In 1843 the Cullop family came to
Indiana and located on a farm in Knox County. Here our sub-
ject spent his boyhood days. He attended the common schools of
his native township, and in 1874 entered the college at Hanover,
Ind., and graduated from that institution in 1878, and later be-
came the principal of the Sandborn public schools. In 1879 he was



330 HISTORY OF KNOX COUNTY.

elected to the chair of mathematics and natural science in the
Vincennes University, and also began the study of law in that
year. Tn 1880 he entered the law office of Cobb & Cobb, and
there continued his studies until 1881, when he practiced for
about one year, and then formed a partnership with George W.
Shaw, the firm being known as Cullop & Shaw. In July, 1884,
the firm admitted as a partner Clarence B. Kessinger, and since
then the firm is called Cullop, Shaw & Kessinger. Politically
Mr. Cullop is a thorough Democrat, and cast his first presidential
vote for S. J. Tilden. In 1882 he was appointed deputy prose-
cuting attorney for the Twelfth Judicial Circuit, and in 1885 was
appointed prosecuting attorney of that circuit. His marriage oc-
curred in 1879 to Miss Kate S. Cobb, daughter of Hon. T. E.
Cobb. They have one child, named Caroline, born September 14,
1883. For quite a number of years Mr. Cullop has taken an
active part in the political affairs of the State, and is one of the
prominent and l-ising men of southern Indiana.

NATHAN F. DALTON, wholesale and retail dealer in lum-
ber and building goods in Vincennes, was born in Walworth
County, Wis., March 15, 1845. Here he was raised on a farm,
and received a very good academic education. At the age of
nineteen he left home and accepted a position as clerk in the
commission business in Chicago, where, at a later period, he en-



Online LibraryGeorge McCall ThealHistory of Knox and Daviess County, Indiana : from the earliest time to the present; with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. ; together with an extended history of the colonial days of Vincennes, and its progress down to the formation of the state government → online text (page 30 of 85)
Using the text of ebook History of Knox and Daviess County, Indiana : from the earliest time to the present; with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. ; together with an extended history of the colonial days of Vincennes, and its progress down to the formation of the state government by George McCall Theal active link like:
read the ebook History of Knox and Daviess County, Indiana : from the earliest time to the present; with biographical sketches, reminiscences, notes, etc. ; together with an extended history of the colonial days of is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014