eBooksRead.com books search new books
George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume I) online

. (page 178 of 207)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume I) → online text (page 178 of 207)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

About 1801 a church building was erected
on this tract within a few feet of the bound-
ary line, in the State of Maryland. On June
30, 1803, the Penns issued a patent deed to
John Ruhl and Daniel Peterman, represent-
atives of this church organization, for two
acres and fifteen perches of land, adjoining
the land bought from Philip Steltz on the
Pennsylvania side of Mason and Dixon's
line. In 1862, a brick church was built on
land purchased from John Fisher in Codorus
Township, about one hundred yards north
of the site of the first church. The follow-
ing ministers served the congregations : Re-
formed — Revs. Myers, Fasht, Daniel Gring,
Albert F. Driesbach, Hiram J. Hillegas ;
Lutheran — Revs. Sieger, Reinecke, Andrew
Berg, William H. Ketterman, William
Henry Ehrhart. The Reformed congrega-
tion is connected with the Shrewsbury
charge and the Lutheran is connected with
the " Stone Church " charge, having for-
merly been a part of the Shrewsbury
charge.

St. Peter's Catholic Church, situated in
the southeastern part of Codorus Township,



two and a half miles northwest of Glen
Rock, was built about 1875. The church is
served by the priest who has charge of the
congregation at New Freedom.

The village of Glenville with a
Glenville. population of 200 is situated in
the western part of Codorus
along the Western Maryland Railroad.
During its early history it was known as
Klinefeltersville and was so marked on the
map. In 1835 Jacob Klinefelter, born near
Seven Valle}^, purchased a large farm upon
which Glenville now stands. He first en-
gaged in the cabinet-making business and
was also an undertaker. In 1840 he built a
foundry and machine shop and for twenty
years did a large business. He made farm-
ing tools, cook stoves and ten-plate stoves.
The Klinefelter plow which he made had an
extensive sale. He also conducted a store
and owned a hotel. Mr. Klinefelter died in
1864 and his affairs were conducted by his
estate for two years when his son, J. A.
Klinefelter, continued the business in the
foundry and mercantile enterprise. The
foundry, which has been the principal in-
dustry of the village, was purchased by
Meyers and Brickner, and later by C. M.
Bricker, who sold it to J. A. Klinefelter. It
was run by the Glenville Foundry and Ma-
chine Company for several years and in 1905
Beard & Company operated it as a general
foundry and machine shop. After the death
of Jacob Klinefelter his estate also con-
ducted the store business until it was sold
to Christ & Rohrbaugh. They were suc-
ceeded by J. A. Klinefelter, who built a ware-
house and conducted a large business for
many years. Shue & Gibbs then bought
the entire mercantile interests.

In 1873 Abraham Rohrbaugh was ap-
pointed the first postmaster. This office
was held by J. A. Klinefelter from 1877 to
1898, when C. W. Gibbs was appointed.

In 1890 J. A. Klinefelter built the Glen-
ville Creamery and also made ice cream
in large quantities. C. J. Lenhart became
his successor and within recent years this
industry has been operated on a large scale
by the Hanover Produce Company, of which
Aaron Hostetter is president.

A hotel was built in 1902 by Karl E. Katz,
of York. Ex-Deputy Sheriff J. D. Bortner
was proprietor in 1907. Levi Smith owns
a harness factorv. George F. Miller owns a



954



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



furniture factory and is engaged in the un-
dertaking business. T. S. Snyder owns a
flour and feed store, and Frank H. Miller
conducts a store in the new building owned
by the Hanover Produce Company. On
May I, 1863, when Gregg's Union cavalry
crossed from Manchester to Hanover Junc-
tion by way of Stick's Tavern several of the
officers dined at the home of Jacob Kline-
felter.

Neiman is an interesting village in the
eastern part of Codorus. The first house,
constructed of logs, was built by William
King in 1841. Bailey & A¥agner carried on
the mercantile business for several years.
Shafer's church is situated in this village.

Larue is a post village and station along
the Northern Central Railway, below Han-
over Junction.

Seitzville is a hamlet one mile south of
Hanover Junction. John E. Slider owns a
grist mill, built by Nicholas Seitz in 1866.

Green Ridge, a hamlet along the
Green railroad one mile north of Glen-
Ridge, ville, is situated in a picturesque re-
gion. In 1825 George Bair built
a grist mill and saw mill at this place. From
that date until 1864 he ground the "chop"
and sawed the timber of this region for him-
self and his neighbors of Codorus and Man-
heim townships. He also prospered as a
farmer. In 1864 he sold his mills and farm
to E. W. Heindel, who carried on the busi-
ness until the time of his death. T. S. Sny-
der, his son-in-law, succeeded in the owner-
ship of the property and conducted the grist
mill, saw mill and flour and feed business.
S. B. Brodbeck owns a large creamery and
warehouse and does an extensive business.
S. F. Roser carries on a general merchan-
dising business.

It was at Green Ridge in June,
Despatch 1863, during the Confederate in-
Bearer vasion that an unfortunate acci-
Killed. dent occurred. General Lee's
army wias moving toward
Gettysburg from Chambersburg. Late in
the night a despatch bearer from Gen-
eral Meade, commanding the cavalry
of the Potomac army, had been sent
from Littlestown to convey orders to
General Gregg at Manchester and if pos-
sible communicate with Baltimore and
Washington by telegraph at Hanover Junc-
tion. This courier had stopped at Marburg



in Manheim Township and took supper
with Mr. Gallatin. He left there, intending
to proceed hastily to Hanover Junction.
Having lost his way, he halted in front of
the residence of George Bair at Green
Ridge. Fear and consternation had spread
all over this country because of the ap-
proach of so many troops, and the rural folk
were tremulous with excitement. When
the despatch bearer called out in loud tones
in front of the Bair home, a misunderstand-
ing took place between him and Mr. Bair,
who thought the soldier was a Confederate
raider, and while standing on the balcony,
he levelled the gun and shot the soldier
dead. The soldier was buried in the grave-
yard at the Stone Church, and a year later,
his remains were taken by his father to his
former home in the state of New York.
George Bair was arrested and taken to Car-
lisle where he was tried and acquitted by
a military court. It was clearly proven that
he was not responsible for the act of shoot-
ing a Union soldier.

This institution was first known

High as the Glenville Academy, which

School, originated at a meeting held in the

office of Dr. John D. Keller at
Glenville, September 4, 1891. At this meet-
ing. Dr. Wesley C. Stick was elected chair-
man and Dr. Keller, secretary. It was de-
cided to organize a stock company with a
capital of $3,000, for the purpose of estab-
lishing an institution for the higher educa-
tion of the young in Codorus and adjoin-
ing townships. Soon after this meeting.
Dr. Stick succeeded in securing subscrip-
tions to the amount of $2,200. A charter of
incorporation was obtained April 11, 1892,
with the following named directors : Dr.
Wesley C. Stick, Jacob A. Klinefelter, Dr.
John D. Keller, Henry S. Stick, Oliver
Cramer, Levi Dubs, Jacob R. Yost, H. W.
Smith, of Glenville, Samuel B. Hoke, Sum-
mit; John E. Bahn, Baltimore Co.; Abdiel
Bortner, York. The amount of the capital
stock was increased to $5,000. B. F. Willis,
of York, was chosen architect for the new
building. The Academy under the princi-
palship of John E. Bahn, opened the first
session September 26, 1892. At the close of
the second j^ear, the school had eighty-
eight students enrolled. In 1894, Captain
A. W. Eichelberger, of Hanover, purchased
the controlling stock of the Academy and



CODORUS



955



transferred it to the General Synod of the
Lutheran Church, designating the pastor of
St. Mark's Lutheran Church at Hanover as
the representative of the synod. The
name was then clianged to Eichelberger
Academy, in honor of Captain Eichelberger,
who awarded twenty scholarships for the
next year. The instructors then were John
E. Bahn, C. W. Corbin and Mrs. Mary C.
Corbin.

In 1895, Captain Eichelberger erected a
school building at Hanover which was
named in his honor, and the name "Glen-
ville Academy" was restored. E. M. Stahl,
of Haysville, Somerset County, and a grad-
uate of Pennsylvania College, was chosen
principal. In September, 1901, Glenville
Academy was transformed into the Codorus
High School, being the first township High
School established in York County. E. M.
Stahl was continued as principal, and H.
B. Shutt, assistant, who was succeeded in
1902 by E. B. Newman. At the first com-
mencement of the Codorus High School,
held at the "Stone Church" on June 12,
1903, five young ladies and gentlemen were
graduated, viz: Miranda I. D. Stick, Edna
G. Wentz, Margaret Stick, Clayton E. Bort-
ner and William W. Ketterman.

The school building including a large
campus of three acres, is valued at $7,500.
This institution is well-equipped with a
laboratory for the purpose of teaching the
natural sciences. It also ovvns a library of
600 volumes.

About forty students have been prepared
for higher institutions of learning and more
than one hundred school teachers have re-
ceived their professional training at this
place.

In Codorus there are fourteen schools
with the following names : Keeney's, Ster-
ner's, Brodbeck's, Seitzville, Kreb's, Bort-
ner's, Fair's, Stick's, Bonair, Baltzley's, Mil-
ler's, Roser's, Shefifer's and Sinsheim.

The Place known as Stick's
Stick's Tavern is one of the landmarks
Tavern, of Codorus Township. Hetrick's
PostofBce was also in the same
building. The brick building used for so
many years as a store and tavern was built
by Christian Hetrick in the year 1808. He
conducted the hotel and mercantile business
here from that date until 1828, when he
sold the stand to David Jones, who sold out



to Peter Klinefelter in 1832. Since 1839 the
property has been owned by Henry Stick
and his descendants. In 1835 Henry Stick
in partnership with Henry Craumer
opened a store across the way on the
site of the former residence of Dr. W.
C. Stick. This partnership was dissolved
in 1839, when Henry Stick took charge of
the hotel and store in the building afterward
known as Stick's Tavern. He continued the
business in this building until 1872, when
his son, H. S. Stick, took charge and con-
ducted it until 1889. After that date the
store only was continued, the hotel business
having been discontinued. From the year
1839, when Stick and Craumer dissolved
partnership, until 1870 two hotels and two
stores were kept at this place, one known as
Stick's Tavern and the other as Craumer's
Hotel.

In the days of wagoning to Baltimore,
and before the era of railroads Hetrick's
Postoffice and later Stick's Tavern, was the
centre of interest over a large section of
country. After the construction of the
Northern Central Railway, and later the
Western Maryland, the business interests
of the community were directed naturally
along the line of the railroads where villages
came into existence.

The early citizens of Codorus
Physicians, received medical attendance

from physicians, residing at
Hanover, York and Shrewsbury. About
1840 Dr. Hombaugh settled at Jefferson,
and remained there a short time when he
removed to McSherrystown. The next
physician, who was a graduate of medicine
to locate at JefTerson was Dr. William
Brinkman, who continued to practice this
profession at Jefferson until the time of his
death in 1889. In 1879 Dr. John R. Brod-
beck formed a co-partnership in the practice
of medicine with his father-in-law. Dr.
Brinkman has since practiced here. In 1848
Dr. Wm. A. Albaugh from Westminster,
Maryland, a graduate from Washington
University, settled near Stick's Tavern,
where he practiced for many years. His
son. Dr. Eugene Albaugh, a graduate from
the college of Physicians and Surgeons at
Baltimore in 1875. succeeded his father.
During the years 1855 =1"^ 1856 Dr. O. T.
Everhart practiced medicine at Stick's
Tavern. In 1874 Dr. ^^'esley C. Stick, a



956



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



nati\'e of Codorus Township began his
career as a physician at Stick's Tavern.
While conducting a large general practice,
Dr. Stick has also succeeded as a specialist,
performing many operations upon the e3^e.
On May lo, 1906, he moved to Hanover,
Pa. Dr. H. C. Jones practiced medicine at
Jefferson from 1869 until the time of his
death in 1897. His son, Dr. Pius Jones, is
a physician at Glenville, and another son.
Dr. H. H. Jones, resides in York. Dr. J. H.
Bennett followed his profession in Jefiferson
for a period of five years and then removed
to York. Dr. Alarkle succeeded him at Jef-
ferson.

Dr. Troxel, Dr. Theodore Beltz and Dr.
Edward Sterner, each practiced medicine
for a short time at Jefferson.

The science and art of medicine as prac-
ticed b}^ the disciples of Hahnemann were
introduced into Codorus and adjoining
townships about 1836 by Rev. Jacob Geiger,
whose record as a physician is given in the
medical chapter in this volume. He inter-
ested Rev. Peter Sheurer of Hanover, who
was pastor of several Lutheran congrega-
tions in York Countjr.

Dr. H. S. Keller, a successful school
teacher, residing at Glenville took up
the study of homoeopathy under Rev. Jacob
Geiger, and afterward graduated from the
Hahnemann Medical College in Philadel-
phia. He was succeeded by his son. Dr. J-
D. Iveller, who after studying under the
instruction of his father was graduated at
Hahnemann Medical College in Philadel-
phia in 1874. After practicing the healing
art in Codorus for a period of twenty-five
years. Dr. Keller removed to Spring Grove,
and later settled at Hanover. Dr. H. W.
Fair, a homoeopathic physician, practiced
his profession for twenty years in the lower
end of Codorus Township and in 1903 re-
moved to Baltimore.

CONEWAGO TOWNSHIP.

The name Conewago is of Indian origin
and means "at the rapids." The large wind-
ing stream by this name forms the northern
boundary of the township and the Little
Conewago Creek which united with the
larger stream near the mouth of the latter
at Conewago falls on the Susquehanna,
forms the eastern boundary. During the
early part of the eighteenth centurv, before



white settlers had crossed the Susquehanna,
there was a small tribe of Indians, called
the "Conewagoes", who occupied the region
around York Haven and the opposite side
of the Susquehanna near Middletown, where
there is also a Conewago Creek, named in
honor of these Indians.

Conewago Township was
Conewago formed out of Newberry and
in Dover in the year 1818. The

1818. eastern third belonged to New-
berry and the western two-
thirds to Dover Township. It contains 11,-
000 acres, according to the survey made in
October, 1814, by Jacob Spangler and
Daniel Small. Viewers were appointed
whose report was confirmed at the January
term of Court in 1818. Conewago Town-
ship at the time of its formation contained
245 taxable inhabitants. The assessed valu-
ation of real and personal property at that
time was $185,000. Colonel Henry Stover
was the largest land owner, having 328
acres valued at $6,275. Frederick Hevel and
Henry Miller were inn-keepers. Frederick
Shetter owned a carding mill ; Philip Fet-
trow, saw-mill and hemp-mill; Andrew Mil-
ler an oil-mill ; John Becker, and Stoehr &
Demuth, saw-mill and grist-mill ; Daniel
Reeser, grist mill; John Datisman, tailor;
John Keener, tailor; Samuel Parks, nail-
maker. The coopers of the township were
Peter Wilt, George Fink, David Gross, John
Hoffman, Michael AVej'er, and George
Finck. The weavers were George Benedict,
William Barnes, Henry Brenneman, Peter
Fink, Jacob Frysinger, Jacob Peters, Adam
Keener, Jacob Meyer, Jacob Rupert, Jacob
Schlothour, Henry Vickers, George Winte-
meyer, John Finck, Michael Benedict, David
Miller and Jacob Wentz. The following
persons owned distilleries: Peter Gross,
Frederick Ilgenfritz, Martin Meyer, John
Reeser, Henry Stover, Michael Shettle,
Henry Schmidt, Jacob Stover, Michael Wilt
and Peter Zorger.

The population of Conewago in 1820 was
945; in 1830, 1,093; in 1840, 1,068; in 1850,
1,264; in i860, 1,288; 1870, 1,382; 1880,
1.495; 1890- i>555; in 1900, 1,506.

Zion Lutheran and Reformed
Quickel's Church, known as Ouickel's
Church Church, the first religious or-
ganization founded within the
present limits of Conewago Township, is



CONEWAGO



957



situated near the banks of the Little Cone-
wago. on a gentle elevation with a com-
manding view of the surrounding country.

Three early German settlers, Frederick
Eichholtz, Ludwig Weir and Henry Shunk,
in 1767 purchased a tract of land containing
thirty acres for £7 15s. gd. This land in
later years became a part of Jacob Bear's
farm, and was at the time of the purchase
situated in Dover Township, as Conewago
was not formed until forty years later. Upon
this tract was a stone school building, the
first one erected in that section. It had
been used for school purposes and occa-
sionally for religious worship. Rev. John
George Eager, an earnest and faithful mis-
sionary among the German settlers, and a
man of rare culture and intelligence, ef-
fected an organization of the Lutherans
Jime 2, 1767, soon after the purchase of the
land. The Reformed congregation was or-
ganized about the same time as the Lu-
therans. The large tract was sold and
March 20, 1770, a deed was executed by
Michael Ouickel and Barbara, his wife, con-
veying two acres and forty-seven perches,
upon which the present church stands, for
a consideration of forty shillings, to "Con-
rad Becker, Sebastian Fink, Jacob Hake,
Paul AVilt, Ludwig Meyer and George
Schmied, elders and trustees of a church
which the Lutherans and Calvinists (Re-
formed) now have in this township."
Michael Quickel stipulated in the deed of
conveyance that his wife Barbara should
have a pew during her life in the new
church, which was built of logs the same
year. The stone building continued to be
used for a parochial school.

For many years these humble worshipers
who gathered here were satisfied with the
log building; eventually it was enlarged,
weather-boarded and rededicated.

In 1850, after being used eighty-three
years, the building was removed and a large
brick church erected. In 1881 it was re-
modeled and surmounted with a spire 100
feet high, and a bell weighing 1,500 pounds
was purchased. Rev. C. J. Deininger be-
came pastor of the Lutheran congregation
in April, 1858, from which time to his death
in 1885 he administered here the rite of
baptism to 690 infants, 63 adults, officiating
at 333 funerals and confirmed 419 members.
The Lutheran pastors who have served this



congregation since its organization in order
of succession have been as follows : Revs.
John Eager (Baugher), Lucas Raus
(Rouse), John Nicholas Kurtz, Jacob
Goering, John George Schmucker, William
German, A. H. Lochman, C. J. IDeininger
and J. Henry Leeser.

This congregation in 1907 had 310 mem-
bers. Rev. Adam Stump, D. D.. has been
pastor since 1890.

The Reformed congregation was organ-
ized in 1765, and was at first ministered to
by the pastors of the York church, among
whom were Revs. George Geistweite, James
Ross Reily and Lewis Mayer. The succeed-
ing pastors have been Daniel Zeigler, David
Bossier, Rhinehart Smith, Aaron Spangler
and Arthur C. Ohl.

The church was incorporated in 1790.
Rev. Irvin S. Ditzler was pastor in 1907.

Green Spring Church of the Evangelical
Association was built in the year 1877.
Some of the early pastors were H. W.
Gross, S. Yearick, C. M. Pinkbinder, H. D.
Greninger, M. J. Snyder, and L. E.
Crumbling.

There are ten schools in Cone-
Schools, wago township, with the follow-
ing names: Bear's, Rudy's,
Crone's, Neiman's, Strinestown, Green
Spring, Smith, Bower's, Shettle's and Fink's.
Strinestown is the oldest village
Villages, in the township and was founded
in the year 1800. It is pleasantly
situated in the northern part of the town-
ship, about ten miles from York and one
mile from the Conewago Creek. An ex-
tended view over a large section of the
country is afforded the observer from the
centre of the village. The property owners
in 1819 were: George King, AVidow Miller,
Charles Heyer, Peter Redman, Charles
Lindeman, Frederick Miller, Frederick
Hevel, inn-keeper, Martin Shetter, John
Strine, cord-wainer, Henry Miller, inn-
keeper, Elizabeth Zorger, Frederick Stoner,
justice of the peace. Christian Stine, God-
frey Lenhart, Jacob Zorger, wheel-wright,
Jacob Wolf, tobacconist, Conrad Snader-
man, Jacob Keyer, cordwainer, Widow
Weyer. Jacob Stoehr, of Manchester Town-
ship, owned one house and George Neu-
man one. Michael AVeyer was a blacksmith.
He took part in the defence of Baltimore
during the AA'ar of 1812.



958



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



The cigar making industry has been the
chief employment in Strinestown for more
than half a century. In early days there
were many small factories, and within re-
cent years larger ones have been erected,
employing many workmen. This industry
has added thrift and prosperity to the vil-
lage.

Mt. Pleasant Chapel was built in 1872 at
a cost of $1,500. The building committee
were Barnhart Zorger, Daniel Worley and
John Kraft't. It was dedicated by Rev. Wil-
liam Cramer as a union chapel, and all or-
thodox religious denominations are allowed
to worship in it. In recent years it has been
used by the United Brethren in Christ, and
also by the German Baptists. The Strines-
town Union Sunday School meets in this
building.

Zion's View in the southern part of the
township near Quickel's Church is a pros-
perous hamlet that has grown up within re-
cent years. The cigar making industry is
carried on here to considerable extent. The
village is surrounded by rich agricultural
lands.

The fertile and alluvial flats

Indian along the Conewago Creek

Implements, were favorite resorts of the
red men, especially parts of
the tribes of the Conewagoes, Conoys and
Shawanese, who were numerous near the
mouth of the streams and on the opposite
side of the Susquehanna. In company with
the late George Ensminger the writer found
evident traces of an Indian burying ground
near Green Spring. Along the Conewago,
Indian pipes, scalping knives, tomahawks,
spear points and arrow heads were discov-
ered. On the land of Barnhart Zorger,
near Strinestown, perfect arrow heads were
found and close by were piles of spauls of
dolerite, the same kind of stone as the arrow
heads, showing that here they made arrows
from the rough stone. This was the site of
an Indian village.

John Garrettson, in 1742,
Interesting built the first mill along the

Notes. Conewago, possibly on the

Newberry side of the stream.
He was one of the early Quaker settlers, and
owned the rich alluvial lands on the north
side of the creek immediately below the
bridge near Strinestown. The large mill,
north of Strinestown, once owned by Henry



S. Bear, was purchased by Mr. Cline. On
land owned by H. B. Strine, three-quarters
of a mile northwest of Strinestown, is the
spot of one of the first industries of this sec-
tion. It was an old mill in 1820, and was
used in grinding grain. A fulling-mill and
carding-mill was attached to it. John Ellis,
in 1850, was the last owner, when it was
torn away.

On the road leading from Quickel's
Church to Lewisberry once stood a tannery.
The business was carried on by Martin Co-
penhafer. Basket-making has been an im-
portant industry carried on by many inhab-
itants along the Conewago Hills. John
Steilfee, for many years conducted a pottery
from native clay. After the father retired,
the two sons continued the business, Ga-
briel near the " Seven Stars Hotel," and
Adam near Strinestown.

A thrilling and fatal, accident occurred
along the Conewago near the mouth of Ben-
nett's Run. It was during the time of the
early settlement, and according to tradition
was as follows : A man named Sipe went out
to hunt wild turkeys and had a tame turkey
on his back. He used a turkey bone as a
whistle to call the game and the turkey on
his back would answer. This was done in
order to attract the wild turkeys to him
that he might shoot them. He was thus
crawling on his hands and knees, when an-
other hunter who saw only the turkey on his
back and not the man, through the dense



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume I) → online text (page 178 of 207)
Using the text of ebook History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume I) by George R. Prowell active link like:
read the ebook History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume I) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014