George R. Prowell.

History of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) online

. (page 82 of 201)
Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 82 of 201)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


slate quarries, he was the senior member of the
firm of Jones & McConkey, large dealers in gen-
eral merchandise [until 1903, when he trans-
ferred his interest to his two sons]. He has
also been a director of the First National Bank
since 1 890, when with his assistance it was
successfully organized. [In 1901 he was
elected vice-president of that solid financial in-
stitution.] In local politics, though never hav-
ing accepted a public office other than township
auditor, he exercises a wide influence. He is a
Republican. In religious and fraternal circles
he is an active member and has been choir
leader for twenty-five years in the ^^'elsh Cal-
vinistic Church, and is also a member of Estral-
eon Lodge, No. 176, A. F. & A. M.

On August i^, 1870, 'Sir. Tones was united



428



HISTORY Of YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



in marriage with Isabella Roberts, daughter of
John and Isabella Roberts, of Wales. His
family consists of five children, whose names,
given in order of birth, are : Emma, John, Hay-
den, Arthur, Isabella and Idris, who are at
present all residing with their parents, where
they easily and gracefully sustain the high posi-
tion in local society which their father's suc-
cessful and honorable career in business and
other circles has won for himself and his
famil}'."

THEODORE W. GROSS, now living re-
tired on his farm in Conewago township, was
born March i8, 1854, in that township, son of
Samuel M. and Catherine (Wentz) Gross.

Mr. Gross is of German descent, and his
grandfather, Samuel Gross, was a weaver who
followed his trade in' Dover and Conewago
townships. He bought a farm in the latter
place of about sixty-five acres, and at the time
he purchased it there were four log barns
standing upon it. Mr. Gross built a new barn
in 1850. and in 1854 erected a fine residence.
He was both a farmer and weaver, in which
joint occupation he employed about seven
hands. He made all kinds of cloths and linens,
and one of the most highly prized possessions
of Theodore W. Gross is a quilt which his
grandfather wove. Samuel Gross was a mem-
ber of the State militia, enlisted in the War of
1812, and served for nearly a year, taking part
in the battle of Baltimore. He married Cath-
erine ]\Iiller, who died in 1862, her husband
surviving until 1867, and they are both buried
at Ouickel's Church. Mr. Gross was a Luth-
eran and was very active in religious work,
while his wife was a member of the Reformed
Church. To this good couple the following
children were born : Mary Ann, married
(first) a :\Ir. Zorger, and (second) a Mr. Bren-
neman, and died in Conewago township ; Jonas
married Elizabeth Wentz and died in Yocum-
town : Levi married Rosanna Creep, and died in
^Manchester township : Lucy died single at York
Haven ; Samuel M. was the father of Theodore
W. ; Eliza married Jacob S. Cassel, and they
live at York Haven. Besides the foregoing
were six children, who died young.

Samuel M. Gross was born in Dover town-
ship and received a common-school education.
He learned the miller's trade at Strinestown
mill, which is now owned by James F. Cline,



and was engaged at that vocation for about
twenty-eight years. For six years he was fore-
man for P. A. & S. Small at Goldsboro, and
was also employed at the old York Haven grist
mill for nine months. From 1872 to 1897 ^''^
was a farmer, and lived with his son, our sub-
ject, until his death, which occurred April 27,
1898. He was a consistent member of
Ouickel's Lutheran Church, and was very much
interested in its work. In political sympathy
he was a Democrat. He married Catherine
Wentz, daughter of George and Catherine
( Gross) Wentz, and her death occurred in
1 90 1. \lr. Wentz's early days were spent
in hunting through the Conewago hills,
where game was plentiful at that time. His
father was a soldier in the Revolutionary war,
and is buried at Paddletown, Newberry town-
ship. The children born to Samuel M. and
Catherine Gross were as follows : Theodore W. ;
Tempest H., born Nov. 25, 1857, married Mary
Fig, and for the last nine years of his life was
foreman for the Champion Machine Co., at
Fremont, Ohio, his death occurring in Novem-
ber, 1901 ; and Samuel B., born Feb. 2, 1862, a
miller by trade, who is at present employed by
the Harrisburg & Mechanicsburg trolley line
as a motorman, married Rebecca Eshelman, of
Cumberland county.

Theodore W. Gross attended Sipes' school
at Manchester, Fertenbaugh's school in New-
berry township and the Goldsboro school.
Later he was a student at JNIillersville State
Normal school, which he entered in 1873, and
from which, after a course of two and one-half
vears, he was graduated with honors. He then
taught about twenty terms, as follows : At
Bowers' school, Conewago township, nine
terms: one term at Fink's school in the same
township ; two terms at Strinestown ; two terms
at Strayer's school, Manchester township ; four
terms at Smith's school in Conewago township,
and, finally, one term at Bower's school, where
he had commenced his career as a pedagogue.

In 1 89 1 Mr. Gross was elected assessor of
Conewago township, and served three years in
that capacity. In the year of his election he
bought from Andrew Stough, the fine home
which he now occupies, and it is one of the old-
est and most substantial in the township. He
owns a fine tract of 132 acres in Conewago
township, which is known as the old Bower
farm. Mr. Gross is a member of the Lutheran



BIOGRAPHICAL



Church, in which he is at present elder. He is
a Democrat in pohtics, and takes a lively inter-
est in the success of his party.

In 1884 Mr. Gross married Amanda Grim,
daughter of John and Emmeline (Bull) Grim,
and these children have been torn to thqir
union; Lawrence A. L., born June 30. 1886;
Samuel A., born Nov. 29, 1888: and Emma
Kate, born June 9, 1894, all of whom are at-
tending school.

JOHN DEITRICH MEYER was born in
the city of Oldenburg, Germany, and died on
his farm in Windsor township, York county,
Sept. 13, 1865. He lost his parents when very
young, but provision was made for his educa-
tion and he was a scholarly man. His pen-
manship was so fine that he was entrusted with
the transcribing of many important papers. In
1850 he married Catherine Denker, and they
set sail for the United States from Bremen,
arriving at Baltimore, Md., in November,
1 85 1, after a voyage of seven weeks. Mr.
Meyer had made a previous trip to this coun-
ty, and had selected the field in which he in-
tended to commence business, this being in the
city of Baltimore, where he eniraged in store-
keeping, at wdiat was caled the "Three-mile
House," a few miles from York. A year later
he moved to a new location within a few miles
of what is now Red Lion, where he kept a
store for two years and then bought, at a
sheriff's sale, a tract of sixty-five acres of land
on which now stands the borough of Red Lion.
Only a few scattered houses stood there then,
and Mr. Meyer purchased and renovated an
old frame residence. He also improved his
land and engag-ed in mercantile pursuits. When
the Peach Bottom railroad was built through
that section, its tracks were laid through Mr.
Meyer's farm, but he never lived to see this
great change. Mrs. Meyer, howe\'er, was not
slow to take advantage of this circumstance,
platting the farm and showing much business
enterprise.

Mr. Meyer's death was a distinct loss to
this section. He was not only an admirable
business man, but in every way a most ex-
emplary citizen. A Democrat through life, he
was personally opposed to holding any office,
although he was so highly esteemed that he
might have been elected to any position he de-
sired. He was a leading member of the Luth-
eran Church.



Mrs. Meyer was born Dec. 2. 1828. also
at Oldenburg, being a schoolmate of her hus-
band and of the same religious faith. Her
parent.s were Bernard and Ann (Long) Den-
ker, both of whom died in their nati\-e land.
Mrs. Aleyer. like her husband, enjoved su-
perior educational advantages, and. by' the ca-
pable manner in which she managed the im-
portant business affairs left by him, has shown
unusual business ability. S'he added thirtv-
t\\n acres to the original farm and when the
railroad was built through it, she kept the
station for several years. The first home was
destroyed by fire, but in 1866 she built the
present handsome brick residence. The live
children of Mr. and Mrs. Meyer were: Ada
B., wife of E. T. Moul, died in 1881 ; Charles
D. died in 1886, aged twenty-eight years;
Harry B. lives at York; Bertha Henrietta is
Mrs. J. A. ]\Iiller. of Red Lion; and Antoin-
ette Catherine is Mrs. Charles W. ]\Ioody, of
Red Lion. She is a member of the Lutheran
Church of Red Lion in which she formerly
was very active.

HON. VALENTINE TROUT, formerly
associate judge in York county, is one of the
prominent citizens of Chanceford townsliip.
Mr. Trout was born Feb. 9, 1822. on his
father's farm in Hopewell township, York
county, Pennsyh-ania.

Wentel Trout, the grandfather of A'alen-
tnie, came from Germany to America with his
two brothers, George and Henry. They were
all prosperous and brought much silver money
with them, purchasing farms in the vicinitv of
Strasburg, Lancaster county. JMr. Trout' re-
moved from Lancaster county to York count\-,
settling in the lower end of Hopewell town-
ship, where he purchased a large tract of land.
In religious matters he was a member of the
Lutheran Church. Mr. Trout died on his
farm at the age of about eighty years, and his
son, the father of \'alentine, settled the estate.
The children born to \\'entel Trout and his
wife were as follows: Joseph, a farmer, died
in Shrewsbury township: ^^'illiam married
Lydia Wyant, and died on his farm in Hope-
well township : Wentel ; George and David
both died on the home farm : Adam died on his
farm in Hopewell township ; Bessie married
John IMiller, and died in Hopewell township;
Polly married Garrelson Prall. and died in
Hopewell township: a daughter (name un-



430



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



known) married David Hartman and located
in the West; Lydia married Jacob Grove, and
■died in Hopewell township.

Wentel Trout, son of Wentel, was born on
the homestead in Hopewell township in 1785,
and received his education in the subscription
schools of that period. Mr. Trout was a very
-successful man and followed the occupation of
farming- all of his life. After marrying Barbara
]Miller he bought a farm in the upper end of
Hopewell township, where he resided during
the war of 181 2-1 5, being drafted into service-
during the war and serving his term in Balti-
more. After the war Mr. Trout returned home
and sold his farm, purchasing another in the
center of Hopewell township, which latter has
later become known as the William Baughman
farm, and upon which Mr. Trout resided until
his death in 1870. For many years he was an
elder in the Lutheran Church, having been a
member of that religious organization since
boyhood. He collected the first school tax
in Hopewell township after the free-school sys-
tem had been established and encountered
much difficulty in making his collections, as
many people at that time were strongly opposed
to the tax. Mr. Trout had been a member of
the Whig party for many years, and died a
Republican. He was a well known sale-crier,
and was highly esteemed throughout the town-
ship for his many sterling traits of character.
He was generally respected as a man of strict
integrity and possessed the confidence of his
fellow citizens to an extent that he was often
called upon to settle up estates. Mr. Trout's
death occurred in his eighty-fifth year. Mr.
Trout's wife was the daughter of Abraham
and Barbara Miller, who owned a home in
Hopewell township. The children born to the
worthy couple are as follows : Barbara married
Solomon Blouse, and died in Shrewsbury
township ; Adam married Katie Flinchbaugh,
and they both died near Loganville, York
county; Abraham married Violet Morrisey,
and died in Hopewell township ; Samuel mar-
ried Mrs. Catherine Douglas, and both died in
Hopewell township ; David married a Miss
W^right, of Maryland, enlisted in an Illinois
regiment, and served in the Civil war, dying
in Salisbury prison: Jacob married a Aliss
Wattmyer, and was killed by a falling tree in
Hopewell township; Valentine; James married
Maria Arms, anrl died in Maryland; and John



was married twice, (first) to Mary Falkner,
and died in Shrewsbury township.

Valentine Trout's first teacher was Tem-
pleton Hollingshed, a subscription teacher who
held school in different homes, and li\-ed tem-
porarily in each family. When the free schools
were established, Mi\ Trout attended them,
and received a good education. Although as
fond of play as any boy, Mr. Trout learned
when to play and when to study, and never
tried to do both at one time. In fact, during
his entire boyhood he was called upon to do
his part of the work, both within and without.
At the age of nineteen, Mr. Trout and his
brother, Samuel, made a trip to Chanceford
township, hauling timber from the woods to
Manor Furnace. He continued in this occu-
pation for one season, when he married and
located on his present farm. Mr. Trout did
all of his farming" with the old implements, the
modern machinery not coming into use until
after he had ceased his agricultural labors. Mr.
Trout's farm first consisted of 170 acres, most
of which he had himself cleared and improved,
in 1861 building a fine barn 70 x 61 feet. The
old home was built of logs, which Mr. Trout
covered with weather-boards, and it is still
used as a dwelling.

In the fall of 1873 Mr. Trout was elected
associate judge, under the old constitution, and
served as such until its abolition five years
ago. Previous to holding this office Mr. Trout
had been school director for fifteen years, later
serving three years in the same capacity, mak-
ing a total of eighteen years ; he then declined
the position, considering that he had done his
full official duty. He had served as president,
secretary and treasurer of the board, had been
assistant assessor and judge of elections, and
was appointed a number of times by the court
to serve as road-viewer and bridge-inspector
of York county.

At the age of twenty-two Mr. Trout joined
Staley's Lutheran Church in his township, but
in 1849 became connected with the New Har-
mony Presbyterian Church at the Brogue, and
in 185 1 was appointed elder, having served
continuously in that capacity, and missed but
one communion during the entire period. He
has been a delegate to the conventions, and is
an ardent, active church worker and a devout
Christian man, making family worship one of
his rules of life. In politics Mr. Trout was



BIOGRAPHICAL



431



reared a Whig, but joined the Democratic
part)^ just prior to the Civil war, when he be-
came a Douglas Democrat.

Mr. Trout has been twice married. On
Sept. 9, 1842, he married Maria Blouse, born
in 1822 in Chanceford township, daughter of
John Blouse. Mrs. Trout's mother died when
Maria was a small child. Mr. Trout's first
wife died April 13, 1873, and was interred at
the Brogueville Presbyterian cemetery, leav-
ing these children : George B., a farmer of
Chanceford township, married (first) Mary
Workinger, daughter of the late Jesse and
Mary Workinger, and after her death he mar-
ried (second) Mary A. Wise; Margaret Re-
becca married Jacob Warner of Chanceford
township ; M. Jane married Henry Curran,
who, for many years, was a merchant of
Brogueville, where he died in 1898, leaving
four children ; Jacob William married Susie
Miller, and they reside in Chanceford town-
ship; Elizabeth Amanda is now Mrs. Samuel
Warner, of Chanceford township ; Valentine
v., of Hopewell township, married Mattie^
Martin ; and Clarkson, of Chanceford town-
ship, married Miss Frances Keller.

Valentine Trout's second marriage was to
Mrs. James Fulton, whose maiden name was
Mary Ann Webb. She was born in New Mar-
ket, Md., March 23, 1833. Mr. Trout is the
father of seven children, the grandfather of
forty-one children (twenty-four of whom are
living), and twenty-six great-grandchildren.
Over six feet tall, of a fine physicjue. Judge
Trout is a conspicuous figure in any assembly,
which his dignified bearing and courtly man-
ner make still more noticeable. Mr. Trout has
in his possession an old hand-made pocketbook,
of pig skin, which was brought to this country
from Germany by his emigrant ancestor. It is
a curious family heirloom and naturally highly
prized.

WTLLlAM HENRY MILLER, a prom-
inent farmer of York county, was born in
Spring Garden township Sept. 29, 1848, son
of Christian and Elizabeth (Louckes) Miller.
He had one sister, Margaret L., who makes
her home with him.

Mr. Miller attended the public schools first
and later studied at the State Normal, at Mil-
lersville. After leaving school he decided to
make farming his occupation and has been



steadily engaged in agriculture ever since. He
has been very successful in his operations and
is well-known not only among- the other farm-
ers of that section, but among the business men
of York. He was one of the active managers
of the York County Agricultural Society, is
president of the Farmers' Fire Insurance Com-
pany, and for the past twenty-six years has
been one of the board of directors of the A\'est-
ern National Bank of York.

On Dec. 25, 1873, Mr. Miller was united
in marriage with Miss Alice J., daughter of
Frederick and Lydia (Gibson) Schetzbauch,
of Hellam township, and to their union has
come one son, Harry S. Mr. Miller is a man
of considerable influence locally, and the fam-
ily are held in high esteem.

HARRY GEORGE SCHRIVER. The
Schrivers are old German settlers in Adams
county, and now have a number of prominent
representatives in York county, one of whom
is Harry G. Schriver, an extensive dealer in
horses and mules at Hanover, where he was
born June 28, 1867, son of Jacob H. and El-
mira (Gitt) Schriver. The father, who is now
engaged in the livery business at Hano\'er, was
born in York county on a farm north of Han-
over, Nov. 14, 1842, the son of Henry C. and
Maria M. (Felty) Schriver, natives of
Adams county. Henry C. Schriver lived to
the advanced age of eighty years and was one
of the prosperous farmers of his time in York
county. His wife, Maria M., who died in
1892, in her eightieth year, was the daughter of
Henry and Polly (Newman) Felty, early set-
tlers of York county. The father of Henry
C. Schriver was John Schriver. a native of
Adams county, who married a Coover. The
Schrivers emigrated from Germany to America
many years prior to the Revolution.

Jacob H. Schriver. the father of Harry G.,
was in his teens a clgrk in the store of Cremer
& Allewelt, with whom he remained until 1861,
when he enlisted in Company G. i6th P. Y. I..
Col. Zeigler commanding, in the three months'
ser^'ice under the first call of President Lincoln
for 75,000 men. The regiment was sent to
Bunker Hill, Va., and at the expiration of his
term of enlistment Mr. Schri\"er returned to
Hanover, and resumed his vocation as clerk
in the store of Cremer & Allewelt. He re-
mained with them until 1865. when he engaged



432



HISTORY OF YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA



in the li\-ery business for himself, at the same
time deaHng- in horses and mules. This busi-
ness he continued actively for twenty-five
years, and few men in that time handled more
horses and mules than Mr. Schriver. In 1890
he' turned the business over to his son Harry
G. The livery barn burned in 1900, resulting
in the loss of a number of horses and car-
riages. Mr. Schriver sustained a heavy finan-
cial loss, but he immediately rebuilt the stables
and re-established himself in the business,
which he has since conducted on a scale of
some magnitude, keeping a large stock of
horses and carriages.

Jacob H. Schriver was married Jan. 18,
1866, to Miss Elmira Gift, daughter of J. W.
and Maria (Newman) Gitt. She was reared
in York county. To Mr. and Mrs. Schriver
were born three children, Harry George, Elsie
(deceased), and M. Grace (at home). In poli-
tics Mr. Schriver is a Republican, and for three
years he served as a member of the city coun-
cil. For a year he was a member of the Mt.
Olivet Cemetery Board. He and his wife are
members of Emanuel Reformed Church, in
which he has been very active, having served as
elder, deacon and trustee.

Harry George Schriver was educated in
the public schools of Hanover. At the conclu-
sion of school days he became the assistant of
his father in the livery business, continuing the
same until 1900, \\'hen he commenced business
on his own account. He has built up an ex-
tensive trade, and few men of his age are bet-
ter judges of horses than he. He deals ex-
tensively in horses and mules, for the proper
care of which his present barn was erected in
1893. Mr. Schriver buys horses in various
parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa
and Kentucky. He is a member of the Elks,
Lodge No. 763, and in 1904 he was elected a
member of the city council from the First
ward. He was married in 1893 to Miss Mabel
Trone, daughter of Samuel E. and Louisa
(Thomas) Trone, of Hanover.

CHARLES P. SHREINER, city clerk of
York, is a member of an old and honored fam-
ily of the State, and one which has left its im-
press for good on society as succeeding genera-
tions have passed.

The earlier members of the family were
connected with the history and life of Lancas-



ter county. Pa., for the most part, the great-
grandfather of Charles P. Shreiner having been
a celebrated clockmaker of Lancaster for a
long lifetime. The products of his skill are
still in existence. The prevailing style in that
day was the large "grandfather's clock," made
with such care as to last for centuries. A num-
ber of these clocks are still owned in the county.
Mr. Shreiner built the first clock placed in the
old Lancaster court house, famous for almost a
century as a timekeeper.'

Martin Shreiner, grandfather of Charles
P., was a man of considerable property in his
generation, residing at Lancaster, where he was
prominent in the business circles of the city.
He at one time owned the land on which now
stands the Lancaster Trust Company's hand-
some building, this particular spot having been
in the family for three successive g'enerations,
and in looking up the title the. lawyers in mak-
ing the transfer discovered the remarkable fact
that Ithere had never been a dollar of debt
against the property during the three gen-
erations that it was in the possession of the
Shreiner family.

Philip Shreiner, father of Charles P., re-
sided in Lancaster during the earlier part of
his life, and thence he removed to New Cum-
berland, Pa., and then to Columbia, and en-
gaged in the jewelry business. There he died
in 1877, aged sixty-nine years. By marriage
he connected the Shreine'rs with another of the
historic families of the State, his wife having
been Rebecca Trissler, daughter of Michael
Trissler. She bore him six children, passing
to rest in 1879, aged seventy-five years. Two
of the sons and one daughter are now deceased,
Samuel, Edward and Rebecca ; Mary, the eld-
est daughter, is the wife of the late Hon. Hiram
Young, editor of the York Dispatch; Clara, un-
married, resides with her sister; Charles P. is
the city clerk of York.

Charles P. Shreiner has been the efiicient
city clerk of York for the past four years, and
is now serving his fifth term. He was born in
New Cumberland, Cumberland Co., Pa., Oct.
15, 1843, ^"d was but two years old when the
family removed to Columbia. He was reared
in that town, receiving a good common-school
education, and as a boy entered the employ of
his father as a clerk in the jewelry store. For
the intervening years between 1861 and 1875
Mr. Shreiner was thus eneaeed. Then he






^- nQj/lAjtoru/y —



BIOGRAPHICAL



433



decided to try his hand at journahsm. He pur-
chased the plant of the Norristown (Pa.) In-
dependent, and for two j-ears was engaged in
its pubhcation. After the death of his father
Mr. Shreiner disposed of his newspaper, and
coming to York in 1880 became associate edi-
tor of the York Dispatch, with which paper he
was connected until his election to his present
office, in 1902. His conduct of the office has
been so satisfactory that he has been honored
with re-election to a fifth term. JMr. Shreiner
is an experienced writer, and as a delegate rep-
resenting the city of York at the meeting of the



Online LibraryGeorge R. ProwellHistory of York County Pennsylvania (Volume II) → online text (page 82 of 201)