George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 105 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 105 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and milkman, removing to Westbrook in
1878, where he had a large milk cart route.
After this he had charge of the Falmouth
town farm for some years. From 1877 to
1887 he lived in the city of Portland. In
J887 he removed to Fryeburg, where he has



ever since resided, and is now practically re-
tired from active life. As he is an artist of
no mean ability, he devotes most of his time
to painting pictures, his best ones being of
various animals which he has been fond of
studying in a very careful and sympathetic
manner ever since he was a small lad. Though
never seeking after an office of any kind, he
has always had a large influence in political
matters in all the towns where he has lived,
and many a successful candidate knows well
how much lie owes to the "gritty and jovial
championship" of Will Sturdivant. He is a
member of the Masonic lodge and deeply in-
terested in its very important work. Mr.
Sturdivant married Eunice Fowler, daughter
of Thomas and Nasie N. (Leighton) Fowler,
and his children are : i. Gardiner Luther, born
March i, 1873. 2. William Thomas, who was
a very successful salesman, and died in Vir-
ginia. 3. Roy Northleigh, who is a mechanic,
and is now in the Canal Zone.

(Ill) Gardiner Luther, son of William Rus-
sell and Eunice (Fowler) Sturdivant, was
born in Westbrook, March i, 1873, and is now
a very highly esteemed citizen of Yarmouth.
He was educated in the Cumberland schools,
and graduated from the Fryeburg Academy in
1894.

He received his degree of M. D. from
the Bowdoin Medical College in 1899, and
took a post-graduate course in the Post Grad-
uate College Hospital in New York City, in
1904. He has been a very successful physi-
cian, residing in Bethel, Maine, from 1899 to
the time of his removal to Yarmouth in 1905.
He is a member of the Oxford County Medi-
cal Society, the Maine State Medical Asso-
ciation, and the American Medical Association.
In politics he is a Democrat, though he is an
independent voter who is well posted in na-
tional affairs. He is one of the most helpful
members of the First Parish Congregational
Church, of Yarmouth, and for some time has
been its chorister.

In 1900 Dr. Sturdivant married Miss Ida
Louise Palmer, of Brunswick, Maine, daugh-
ter of Charles P. Palmer and his wife
Sarah, both these parents being widely known
and highly respected. The wife was a very
successful piano teacher for some years, and
is one of Maine's most accomplished musi-
cians in vocal and instrumental music. One
can never forget a visit at this home so full
of true music and Christian kindness. The
children of Dr. and Mrs. Sturdivant are:
Dora Palmer and Gardiner Francis, children
of great promise.



2i68



STATE OF MAINE.



The word Moore, More, or
MOORE Moor, comes from the Gaelic
and signifies lofty, proud, power-
ful chieftain. In ancient Gaul (now France)
Gaelic was the universal language, and it was
from Gaul, in times remote, that the first
adventurers possessed with the spirit of dis-
covery beyond the setting sun crossed the
channel and made homes on the first land
on which their frail vessels found harbor.
That among these were lofty men and power-
ful chieftains is undeniable, and hence More,
Moor and Moore became the proprietors in
what became England, Wales, Ireland and
Scotland, in each of which countries families
of the name are common and frequent, as
they have been farther west beyond the greater
channel since the earliest settlement of New
England, New York and \'irginia three hun-
dred years ago. The ship "Mary and John''
left Plymouth. England, March 30, 1630. hav-
ing on board besides the religious leaders,
Rev. John Wareham and Mr. Maverick, the
warriors or progenitors of warriors : Captain
John Mason, the annihilator of the Pequod
Indians, Captain Richard Southgate and Mar-
tha Grant, the forbear of General Ulysses S.
Grant, the chieftain of America's greatest
civil war, John More and seven score other
souls, each a brave adventurer bent on se-
curing in a new world a place in which to live
and propogate so as to make homes and fam-
ilies worthy of the names they severally bore.
Most of these adventurers were from Dorset-
shire, England, and they had shipped at Ply-
mouth after a day of fasting and prayer,
which prayers had been continued daily for
the seventy days before the good ship made
landing at Nantucket in the Colony of Mas-
sachusetts Bay, and proceeded to Boston town
and thence became first settlers of the adja-
cent town of Dorchester, named for their
mother home. The landing was made June
8, 1630, and they proceeded to build a church
for Air. Wareham around which nucleus the
town was built and from the teacher within
the walls and the church officers the town
was governed. John 'More was a deacon in
the church, a patentee under the king, and a
freeholder under the grace of the general
court of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay.
Pie found the town too small for his ambi-
tious spirit, and in 1665 he joined the party
who broke away from new found homes to
make the tedious journey through the wilder-
ness, then untrodden by white men, whose
only guide was the stars and a compass, and
whose way had to be blazed with the pioneer's



ax, and the road narrow, long and winding,
had to be bridged by felling trees across the
streams where the depth of water forbid ford-
ing. The Connecticut valley was their ob-
jective point, and they made their camp at
Windsor and began the foundation of a new
town. There were sixty in the company, and
they were encumbered by their household
goods and domestic animals, the less portable
of their goods having been sent by water
around the cape and through the Long Island
sound, up the Connecticut river. Alas, the
vessel failed to arrive, and their beds and
bedding, with the families' household necessi-
ties, never reached them, and winter coining
on, many deserted and returned to Boston on
the trail they made in coming, and a few
adventurous spirits passed the winter subsist-
ing on acorns and the game they could hunt.
In the spring John Wareham, the minister,
with a new party of adventurous souls, joined
the depleted colony and a church was built,
and around it, with Mr. Wareham as their
spiritual guide, and with Mr. More as a
deacon of the church and an official in the
town government, the town of Windsor took
on new life. The First Church had been
erected near the old stockade that had fur-
nished shelter and protection through the win-
ter. John More built a substantial house,
owned several farms, was a member of the
jury in 1639-42. and an original petitioner of
the land on which the town was built. He
owned a ferry and a factory for making pike,
and an original surveyor and leading spirit
in the formation of the newer town of Sims-
bury. When the place was made to suffer
by the cruelty of King Philip in 1675, John
More caine to the rescue of the sufferers with
food, raiment and new houses to replace those
burned, and the good man ended his labors
and was called to his reward at Windsor,
September 18, 1677. He left a son John and
two daughters : Mindwell, born July 10, 1642,
and Elizabeth, who married Nathaniel Loomis,
November 24, 1654. and who died July 23,
1728, aged ninety years. His land in Sims-
bury descended to the Moores, and they own
parts of it to this day.

(II) John, son of Deacon John Moore, or
More, had eight children : John, the eldest ;
Captain Thomas, a soldier in King Philip's
war; Samuel. Nathaniel, Edward, Joseph and
Joshua (twins), Martha. He built a good
house as a wedding present for his son John
in 1690, and it was occupied by Captain
Thomas Moore and a long line of his descend-
ants in the direct Moore line, and is still in





^^^^p-^p^ C'u^^ cy, ^ tCc^.,^-^ /-£ ^



STATE OF MAINE.



2169



a good state of preservation on the main
street of Simsbury, fronting the village green
or common.

Early in the spring of 1775 Eben and John
Moore, residents of Scarborough, in York
county, Maine, left that peaceful and relatively
old settlement to make a home in the wilder-
ness farther beyond the bounds of civilization.
A tract known as Parson's Purchase attracted
their notice, and they secured land on the
eastern borders of the purchase, lots Nos. 17
and 18, near the dividing line of the town
of Newfield, and they each built a log cabin.
In June John Moore joined the revolutionary
army at Boston and aided in the investment
of that town occupied by British troops, leav-
ing his brothers and family in the wilderness.
On returning from this patriotic service he
returned to his home in Parsonsfield. built a
large log house and a frame house in 1787,
having meantime married Anne Milliken, of
Parsonsfield, a woman "of rare ability and
great force of character." Of this union four-
teen children were born, and ten of the chil-
dren reached maturity, married and settled in
Maine. John Moore was an industrious and
thrifty farmer and he raised good crops, his
first crop on his newly made farm producing
one hundred bushels of corn, which enabled
him to add a half lot to his purchase. He
died in 1823. aged seventy-five years, and his
widow lived to 1844 and died at the age of
seventy-seven years. His son John succeeded
to the ownership of the farm, paying the other
heirs $1,500 for it, and in 1867 he sold the
farm, with new buildings he had erected and
all the improvements he had made, to John
F. Moore, son of Ira Moore, who lived in
Lisbon, Maine. The children of John and
Anne (Milliken) Moore were: Isaac, Sarah,
John, Samuel, James, Jane, Henry (q. v.),
Ira, Joseph, Mary.

(III) Henry, son of John and Anne (Mil-
liken) Moore, was born in Parsonsfield,
Maine. He lived in Durham, Maine. He
married Rhoda Jordan, of Durham, and their
children were: Sarah, Albert, Henry. Emily,
Eliza A. (q. v.).

(IV) Eliza A., daughter of Henry and
Rhoda (Jordan) Moore, was born in Dur-
ham, Maine, in 1829, and in 1857 she married
Dr. Samuel Otis Clark, who was born in
Effingham. New Hampshire, in 1827, and died
in Limerick, jMaine, April, 1903. Robert,
father of Dr. Samuel Otis Clark, was born
in Eliot, ]\Iaine, in 1798, married Mary Dear-
born, of Effingham, New Hampshire, and
their children were : Asahel W., Charles L.,



Frank, Emma, Samuel Otis (q. v.). He died
in Effingham. New Hampshire, in 1862.

_ Dr. Samuel Otis Clark was educated in the
district schools of Effingham, and prepared
himself for matriculation at Dartmouth Col-
lege, where he supported himself by teaching
school, and he completed his medical course
at the L^niversity of Vermont, where he was
graduated iM. D. in 1854. He practiced medi-
cine at Shapleigh and Newfield, Maine, and
in 1866 opened his office in Limerick, Maine,
where he continued a useful and profitable
practice up to the time of his death in 1903.
He was a Democrat in political faith and a
Congregational in church affiliation. His fra-
ternal affiliation was membership in Freedom
Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons,
of Limerick, Maine.

Ralph Harrison Clark, nephew and adopted
son of Dr. Samuel Otis and Eliza A. (Moore)
Clark, was born in Boston, Massachusetts,
April 29, 1875. He was a pupil in Limerick
Academy, Maine, and a graduate of Bowdoin
College, A. B., 1897, and of the University
of Louisville, Louisville, Kentucky, M. D.,
1900. He began the practice of medicine in
Limerick, l\laine, on the death of his adopted
father, in 1903, and although a young man he
met the responsibility of the physical care of
a large constituency so long under the skillful
care of such an eminent practitioner as the
elder Dr. Clark, and he is receiving the same
kind consideration and esteem won by him in
a long term of practice. He inherited the
political faith of his adopted father, and took
his place in his lodge, and has been a mem-
ber of Freedom Lodge, Ancient Free and Ac-
cepted Masons, No. 42, of Limerick, since his
initiation in 1902, and already has advanced
several degrees in the work of the order to
the Royal Arch Chapter, of Cornish. He is
also a member of Highland Lodge, Independ-
ent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 48, of Limer-
ick. His college fellowship is with Kappa
Sigma fraternity of Bowdoin.



Ebenezer Jones, a descendant of
JONES the York county family men-
tioned in this work, was born in
Berwick, Maine, about 1755. He was a sol-
dier in the revolution, in Captain Samuel
Noves' company, Colonel Edmund Phinney's
regiment, in 1773, and later in the year again
in the company of Captain Noyes. In 1779
he served two months in the Penobscot ex-
pedition, under Captain John Goodwin, Ma-
jor Daniel Littlefield. He purchased a farm
in Lebanon, Maine. July 5, 1786, and resided



2I-0



STATE OF MAINE.



there until his death, April 29, 1S41. Among
his children were: i. Hiram, who inherited
the homestead at Lebanon and left it to his
son, John S., born August 29, 1830. 2. Ebcn-
ezcr. mentioned below.

(II) Ebenezer (2), son of Ebcnezer (i)
Jones, was born in Lebanon, Maine, between
1790 and 1800; children: John, Joseph, Will-
iam. Elihn, Ebcn M., Margaret, Ellen.

(III) Ebcn M., son of Ebenezer (2) Jones,
was born in Lebanon, Maine, 1826, died Feb-
ruary 14, 1895. He was educated in the pub-
lic schools of his native town. He followed
farming and carpentering for an occupation,
and also owned a sawmill. He was a Re-
publican in politics, and prominent in munici-
pal affairs, serving the town as selectman and
in other offices of trust and honor. He was
liberal in religion, and was an attendant at
tlie Free Will Baptist church. He served
three and a half years in the civil war, in the
Eighth Maine Regiment. He was a member
of the Free and .•\ccepted Masons and of the
Grand .-Vrmy of the Republic. He married, in
1848, Meliitable Jane Ricker, born in Lebanon,
1824, died there in 1901. Children, born in
Lebanon : Charles ; Emma, Leland W. ; War-
ren C, resided in East Rochester. New IL'inip-
shire: John C, succeeded to the farm and mill
of his father; built a new sawmill in i860; is
a Republican; married, 1893, Mabel F. Grant,
daughter of Isaac and Melissa (Wentworth)
Jones.

(IV) Leland W., son of Eben M. Jones,
was born in Lebanon. Maine, November 22,
1851. He was educated in the common
schools of his native town and also attended
the high school. He began his active career
in the railroad business, and has continued
along that line in various positions up to the
present time (1909). He worked on the con-
struction of the Portland & Rochester rail-
road, now part of the Boston & Maine sys-
tem : had charge of the laying of rails on the
Sanford Electric road : for the past twenty-six
years has been section master on the Boston
& Maine railroad. In politics he is a Repub-
lican. He is a member of Cocheco Lodge, In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows, East
Rochester, New Hampshire; Moral) Encamp-
ment, of Sanford; Rebekah Lodge; Sanford
Riverside Lodge, No. 12, Knights of Pythias;
Springvale Grange, Patrons of Husbandry.
His home is in Sanford, Maine. He married,
in 1872, Sarah E. Lewis, born June 19, 1854,
daughter of William B. and Abby Lewis, of
Lebanon (sec Lewis). No children.

Mrs. Sarah E. (Lewis) Jones is descended



from John Lewis, the immigrant, who was in
Roxbury, ^L'lssachusetts, as early as 1640.
He died probably November 16, 1647. ^'^
had twin sons, Andrew and Peter, born Sep-
tember n, 1644. Peter, son of John Lewis,
was born SepteiTil)er 11, 1644. He was at
Smiittynosc Island in i6<38, and sold his land
there in 1683. He married Grace, daughter
of John Diamond. About 1670 he bought
land of John Piioenix, at Spruce Creek. His
will was made in 1712 and proved 1716.
Children: Peter, born 1669, married Lucy
Chadboume; Andrew, see forward; William,

born 1683. married (first) Mary ,

(second) Sarah Low; John, married Martha
Brooking; Grace, married, Octo1)er 28, 1718,
John Bly, of Portsmouth ; Morgan, married,
about 1705, Abigail Lewis; ^lary, married
David Hutchins ; .\nn, married John Tapley ;
Rebecca, married Pike; Sarah, mar-
ried Peter Mow, of Rochelle, France; Eliza-
beth. Andrew, son of Peter Lew'is, married,
November 29, 1701, Mary, daughter of Enoch
and Mary (Stevenson) Hitchins. His will
was dated July 27, 1758, and proved March
31, 1760. Children: .'\ndrew, Inirn .\pril 2,
1703, married, 1724, Mary Low: Rachel, born
July 3, 1704; Mary, born January 29, 1705,
married Elias W'eare ; Grace, married, No-
vember 21, 1733, Samuel Haley; Dorothy,
baptized June i, 1718, married John Main,
of York, Maine, 1738; Thomas. Thomas,
son of Andrew Lewis, was baptized June 5,
1720. He married Susaima Hutchins, the in-
tentions being published November 23, 1741.
.Simon, son of Thomas Lewis, was born in
Kittery in 1750. William B.. son of Simon
Lewis, married; children: Sarah E., born
June 19, 1854, married, in 1872, Leland W.
Jones, son of Eben M. Jones, of Lebanon,
Maine.



James Davis, the earliest known
D.W'IS ancestor of this family, was one

of the early settlers of township
No. 6. on the west side of L^nion river, Maine,
probably coming from Wells, Maine. James
Davis, of Wells, and James Davis Jr. served
in the revolution. In 1790 the federal census
shows that James Davis was living at or
near what is now Ellsworth, Maine, and had
two males over sixteen, and one under, be-
sides two females in his family. Samuel
Davis, perhaps his son, was the only other
head of the family in that township. In 1793
the names of James, Samuel and John Davis
are found in the account books of one Donald
Ross, a storekeeper of that section. The rec-



STATE OF MAINE.



2171



ords are so deficient and the Davis family so
numerous that (he earHcr ancestry has not
been traced. In all probability this Davis
family is descended from the Davis family
of Salisbury, Massachusetts, and vicinity.

(I) James W. Davis, son of James Davis,
was born February 22, 1820, reared in Ells-
worth, Maine, and educated in the common
schools. For a number of years he was en-
gaged in the lumber and ship-buiUIing busi-
ness in Surrey, Hancock county, Maine, con-
tinuing until 1861, when he was elected regis-
ter of deeds of Ellsworth, to which office he
was re-elected, serving four terms until 1868.
He then engaged in the manufacture of car-
riages, and built up an extensive and profitable
business. He was the originator of the famous
Davis Bar Harbor backboard, which gained a
worldwide reputation, and is still manufactured
by his sons and sent to all parts of the world.
After a long and honorable career he sold his
business to his sons, W. IT. and H. E. Davis;
they later dissolved, W. H. going to Bar Har-
bor, where he still conducts an extensive busi-
ness, and H. E. continuing the old factory at
Ellsworth. James W. Davis was interested in
public questions, a man of recognized public
spirit and decided convictions. He was a Re-
publican, and infiuenlial in his party. He was
an active member of the Unitarian church,
and a liberal contributor to its support. He
married Margaret Harrington, of Cherryfield,
Maine. Children, all born in Surrey, i\Iaine:
I. William Howard, 1844; married Nancy,
daughter of Colonel Robert Campbell, of
Ellsworth, Maine ; one child, Florence. 2.
Abbie D., 1849; married Frederick A. Presby,
deceased ; children : Lillian A. antl Frederica
Maud Presby. 3. James, died young. 4.
James A., mentioned below. 5. George W.,
1856, died December, 1907, uniuarried. 6.
Henry E., March 5, 1859; married Harriet A.
Cook, of Ellsworth; children: Helen, married
Joseph A. Briant, of Waban, Massachusetts,
and Muriel Goodell Davis. 7. Dr. Frederick
A., mentioned below. James W. Davis was
killed by lightning May to, 1889, on his farm
in Surrey; his wife died ATay 19, 1889, nine
days after her husband's death.

(II) James A., son of James W. and Mar-
garet (Harrington) Davis, was born October
12, 1854, in .Surrey, Maine. Upon the com-
pletion of his studies he went to Boston, Mas-
sachusetts, and there entered the employ of
W. H. Halliday in the book business, on
Washington street. He very soon afterward
became associated with the house of Wads-



worth Brothers & Howland, in the paint and
varnish business, and remained with them for
several years. In 1880 he became private sec-
retary to Colonel William II. Darling, of Blue
Hill, Maine, and served in that capacity for
one year. He later entered the employ of
the American agents in New York City for
Noble & Hoare's English varnishes, remaining
until 1889, when he engaged in business on
his own account, establishing the house of
Deming, Davis & Company, Exchange place,
Boston, wholesale coal, iron and coke. He
soon after purchased his partner's interest and
entered into partnership with the Hon. Henry
N. Fisher, of Waltham, with offices at 92
State street, under the firm name of James A.
Davis & Company, which connection continued
imtil his death. Mr. Davis was one of the
first to recognize the possibilities of American
Portland cement made under the rotary cylin-
der process, and introduced into the New Eng-
land states the first cement made by that
method. At that time foreign Portland cem-
ent was considered a standard, but the merits
of the American were soon recognized and
preference was given it. In this business,
which he built up himself, he did some of the
most important work in New England. His
firm furnished the cement for the South Sta-
tion, the Back Bay Station, the new power
house of the elevated road at the North ferry,
the dam at Holyoke, and other well-known
structures. He was a member of Esoteric
Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ells-
worth ; St. Andrew's Chapter, of P>oston;
Boston Council, Royal and Select Masters ;
Boston Commandery, Knights Templar; in the
Scottish Rite he was a member of Boston
Lafayette Lodge of Perfection, the Charles F.
Yates Consistory of Princes of Jerusalem, Mt.
Olivet Chapter of Rose Croix, and he was a
member of the Royal Order of Scotland,* and
of the Accepted Scottish Rite Association,
having taken the thirty-second degree in Scot-
land. He was also a member of the Boston
Athletic Association, Pine Tree State Club,
Beacon Society, Point Shirley Club, and the
Ten of Us Club. He was popular in the
Ancient and Honorable Artillery ; he joined
the company April 16, 1894, and was its
commander at the time of his death. He was
also an associate member of Edward Kingsley
Post, No. 113, Grand Army of the Republic.
He was particularly active in the Scottish
Rite degree, and was the youngest com-
mander-in-chief but one the Massachusetts
Consistory ever had. When he took up his



2i:



STATE OF MAINE.



residence in Lexington. Massachusetts, he
purchased the Xewell estate, one of the finest
in that part of the country. Up to four years
prior to his death, Captain Davis was widely
known throughout the country for his ex-
tensive dog kennels. He bred and owned
some of the costliest and best types of Bos-
ton terriers in the land. He married (first)
Annie Hamilton, of Portland, Maine; (sec-
ond) Mary E. Gately, of Roxbury ; child, Mar-
garet. Captain Davis died at his home on
Lincoln Road, Lexington, March 15, 1909.

(II) Dr. Frederick A., son of James W. and
Margaret (Harrington) Davis, was born at
Ellsworth. Maine. March 24, 1861. He at-
tended the public schools of his native town,
prepared for college under private tutors, and
studied his' profession in the Hahnemann
Medical College of Philadelphia, from which
he was graduated in April, 1884. He began
the practice of his profession in Belfast, and
later removed to Searsport, Maine, continu-
ing until April, 1889, when he removed to
Boston, Massachusetts. Since then he has
been successful as a specialist in diseases of
the abdominal and pelvic organs. For a num-
ber of years he was associated with Dr. Jo-
seph Hayward, of Taunton, Massachusetts, in
the St. Botolph Hospital, and Dr. Davis now
owns the property. He has had charge of
the clinic of the Boston Homoeopathic Med-
ical Dispensary for ten years, and has lectured
four years on materia medica at the Boston
L'niversity School of Medicine. He is a
member of the Massachusetts Homoeopathic
Medical Society. Boston Homoeopathic Med-
ical Society, American Institute of Homoeo-
pathy, and the Massachusetts Surgical and
Gynecological Society, of which he was presi-
dent one year. Dr. Davis is also a member of
the Boston Athletic Association, Boston
Yacht Club, and vice-president of the Ells-
worth Reunion Society. He holds member-
ship in Mariners Lodge. Free and Accepted



Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 105 of 128)