George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 122 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 122 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

coal pockets on the East river at 56th and
57th streets, where he devised and put into
operation the first steam shovel and the first
coal scow to hoist, load and unload coal used
in .\merica. The business grew to such pro-
portions as to make it necessary to incor-
porate the Curtis-Blaisdell Company, and the
corporation now has its main office and depot
at 56th and 57th streets and East river, with
depots and offices at 119th street and East
river, 96th street and North river, 337 Water
street, 40th street and North river, 120 Lib-
erty street, 100 Washington street, and 503
Grand street, Jersey City, New Jersey, the
Blaisdell Brothers, in connection with the coal

and wood business, engaged in the window
glass trade, which they sold to an excellent ad-
vantage to the United States Glass Company.
They also owned a gas supplying business
which they sold to the Standard Oil Company.
They still conduct the Blaisdell Machine Com-
pany at Bradford, Pennsylvania, where they
manufacture air compressers and engines used
in house cleaning plants familiarly known as
the vacuum process. The brothers are also
largely interested in southern pine and cypress,
owning large tracts of timber lands in the
southern and gulf states. In speaking of the
successful issue of all their undertakings, Mr.
Blaisdell gives equal credit to each of the
brothers, and states that their diflferent busi-
ness interests have been conducted individually
without friction or serious differences. Air.
Blaisdell is a member of the Maine Society of
the City of New York. He was initiated into
the iMasonic fraternity through Howard
Lodge, No. 69, of Winterport, Maine, passed
the council and chapter degree, and was in-
stalled in Claremont Commandery, Knights
Templar. On removing to New York he af-
filiated with De Witt Clinton Commandery, of
Brooklyn, and the Mecca Temple of the Mys-
tic Shrine. He resides at 1075 Bushwick ave-
nue, Brooklyn, New York.

Mr. Blaisdell married (first) Miss Mitchell,
daughter of Captain Orin Mitchell, of Rock-
land, Maine, who served through the civil
war and was discharged in 1865 with the rank
of captain, having held that position in the
Maine Volunteers. Two children were born
of this marriage : Charles Orin, born in
Brooklyn, New York, June 8, 1879, ^"d Sarah
Ann, born in Brooklyn, New York, October
15, 1880, married George Bell, of Brooklyn,
New York. Mr. Blaisdell married (second)
Cordelia Bruce, daughter of David Bruce, the
typefounder, of New York City, whose father,
one of the earliest typefounders in .Vmerica,
sold to Horace Greely the type he first used in
printing the -V^tc York Tribune.

(For ancestry see preceding sketch.)

(Ill) Silas Canada Blais-
BLAISDELL dell, son of Eben Ferren
and Nancy (Chase) Blais-
dell, was born in Winterport, Waldo county,
Maine, May 20. 1856. He received his prim-
ary and secondary school training in the pub-
lic schools of Winterport and Hampden Acad-
emy, Hampden, Maine. He matriculated at
the University of the City of New York, then
located on East 26th street. New York City,
in 1879, and during his first year was ap-




pointed, after a competitive examination with

over eiglit hundred students, assistant demon-
strator of anatomy in the collej,a- faculty, and
won the silver medal awarded to the united
classes. In the sophomore year he was
awarded the gold medal, the first and only
time in the history of the university that these
medals had been awarded to a first-year and
second-year man. In his senior year he gained
honorable mention, with the refusal of a hos-
pital appointment. These honors came to a
young man who came out of a Maine district
school, with only a short period of study at a
Maine academy, and this handicap to be re-
moved only by persistent hard work in classes
where most of the students were regular grad-
uates from high schools or preparatory acad-
emies. He graduated with the class of 1881-
82 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine.
For twenty-two years he served as demon-
strator and lecturer on applied and compar-
ative anatomy in the University of New York,
as lecturer on regional anatomy in the New
York College of Dentistry, and at the present
time (1909) is surgeon-in-chief of the Eastern
District Hospital, borough of Brooklyn, New
York. For many }ears Dr. Blaisdell has de-
voted considerable time to operations on the
skull, gaining a wide and varied experience
among the Inmdreds of cases he has handled,
and has prepared and read many papers on the
subject. In 1900 he read a paper before the
Kings County Medical Association, in which
he set forth his new ideas, and out of the
four or five hundred physicians and surgeons
not one sustained the method introduced by
him, but at the present time nearly every emi-
nent surgeon in the country has adopted his
method and is using the special instruments
invented by Dr. Blaisdell. He also read an
interesting paper on the same subject before
the Bellevue .Alumni Association in 1907. Dr.
Blaisdell enjoys the distinction of being the
first and only surgeon in the world \vho suc-
ceeded in successfully stitching the auricle of
the heart, having put three stitches therein,
the operation being performed in the presence
of a dozen physicians, the patient recovering.
The celebrated Dr. Von Bergman of Ger-
many declared that the operation never had
and never could be performed. Dr. Blaisdell
is a member of the American Medical Asso-
ciation : Kings County Medical Society.
Brooklvn, New York; the Brooklyn Medical
Society ; the Brooklyn Surgical Society : the
Hanover Club, the Sewanaka Boat Club, his
membership in the latter being honorary. He
was made physician to the Mutual .'\id Soci-

ety of Brooklyn. He married, January 29,
1883, Ella Rebecca, daugiiter of Elanson
Fisher, the portrait painter. Dr. Blaisdell has
his office and residence at 500 Bedford ave-
nue, Brooklyn. New York.

Wilson was a common name
WILSON in the North and East Ridings

of Yorkshire, England, but
branches of family were also seated in Cum-
berland, Westmoreland, Worcester and Cam-
bridge counties, and even extended across the
Scottish border. The records show various
forms of this name : Wilsonne, Wylsone,
Wylson, Wylsoim and Wilion. One branch at
a very remote period was established at Pen-
rith, county Cumberland, where the Parish
Register, 1556-1600, showed one hundred and
twenty entries of this name, an evidence that
they had been located in that vicinity for gen-

( I ) The first from whom a connected line
can be traced was William Wilson, who re-
sided in Dunnington, Lincolnshire, England.

(II) William (2), son of William (i) Wil-
son, was in Boston, Massachusetts, as early as
1635. He had a wife Patience, who died in

(III) Joseph, son of William (2) and Pa-
tience Wilson, was born 1643, in Boston, and
was at Andover, Massachusetts, as early as
1670, and died there in 1718. His wife was
Mary Lovejoy, born 1652, died 1677. They
had sons John and Joseph.

(IV) Joseph (2), second son of Joseph
(i) and Mary (Lovejoy) Wilson, born 1677,
in Andover, settled in Bradford, Massachu-
setts, as early as 1728, and removed thence
to Haverhill in 1742. He married Marah
Richardson, born 1677, daughter of Lieuten-
ant James and Bridget (Hinchman) Rich-
ardson, of Andover.

(\') James, son of Joseph (2) and Marah
(Richardson) Wilson, was born 1703, in .And-
over. and settled in Methuen, Massachusetts,
as early as 1729. In 175 1 he removed to Pel-
ham, New Hampshire, where he married Mar-
tha Gage, born 1703.

(VI) Joseph (3), son of James and Martha
(Gage) Wilson, was born at Pelham. 1735-
1740. He married Abigail, daughter of Jo-
seph and Abigail (Nourse) Butler, who was
born September 2, 1742. Children: i. Jo-
seph Butler, born April ig, 1762, married
Phoebe Wyman. 2. Benjamin, (ktober 30,
1763. died young. 3. Thaddeus, February 18.
1765. 4. Nabby, December 19, 1766; mar-
ried James Butterfield. 5. Lydia, May 2.



1768; married William Webster. 6. "Life"
(Eliphalet) (Capt.), 1770; married, October
5, 1797, Mrs. Sarah Jameson, and died Feb-
ruary 5, 181 1 ; chiliiren: .A.bigail, born 1798,
married. 1823, Robert Wyllis, of St. George:
Captain Life' (2). September 22, 1799, mar-
ried 1823, Eliza Watson, moved to Illinois;
Sarab. 1801, married Captain Samuel Hinck-
ley; William, 1803, died 1812; Alma, married
Captain George M. Jameson; Joseph, 1809,
died 1812. 7. David, March 30. 1771 ; mar-
ried Sybil Abbott. 8. Billy, March 7, 1773;
married Benjamin Hamblet. 9. Hulda, Octo-
ber 3. 1775; married Joshua Coburn. 10.

Benjamin. May 30, 1880, married

Aids. II. Cyrus, March 3, 1884, married

(VII) Thaddeus, third son of Joseph and
Abigail (Butler) Wilson, was born at Draciit,
Massachusetts, February 18, 1765. He mar-
ried (intentions), December 3. 1795, Dolly,
daughter of Nehemiah and Sarah (Whiting)
Flint, of Dracut. who was born July 29, 1773.
Her great-great-grandfather, Captain Thomas
Flint, of Salem, Massachusetts, was active in
King Philip's war, 1675, "was much re-
spected and of commanding influence." Thad-
deus Wilson resided with his family at Dra-
cut until his removal to Newcastle. Maine, in
1807. His children were : Dolly F., Charles,
Josephine. Oliver and Sylvia, all born in Dra-
cut, and Alfred, born at Newcastle.

(NTH) Alfred, fourth son of Thaddeus and
Dolly (Flint) Wilson, was born July 20, 1809.
and died January 28, 1882, in Sheepscott. He
attended the public schools until about the
age of nineteen years, when he began learn-
ing the carpenter's trade with his father and
eldest brother. As a young man he continued
working with them as a journeyman, and sub-
sequently went to Tlowell. Massachusetts,
where he was employed at his trade and was
subsequently in Methuen. Massachusetts. For
a time he was employed at piano building in
Fitchburg, Massachusetts, and returned to his
native town in the spring of 1841. Here he
erected a workshop, in which he constructed
manv articles out of wood. He was a very
fine workman, and beside making wheels, con-
structed extension tables, wardrobes and vari-
ous articles of common use. He thus main-
tained himself until old age compelled his re-
tirement from labor. He married (first) Feb-
ruary 6, 1838, Mary C. Simpson, and (sec-
ond) Eliza A. Given. Children, all by her,
were: Mary Ellen, born October 30, 1841,
married George C. Mahoney; George .Alfred.

April 2, 1843; Clara C, February i, 1845;
.Arminta G., June 6, 1848.

(IX) George Alfred, only son of Alfred
and Mary C. (Simpson) VVilson, was born
.■\pril 2, 1843, '" Newcastle, Maine, where he
received his primary education. He was sub-
sequently a student at Lincoln .\cademy, and
in his twentieth year went to Grand Haven,
Michigan, where he was employed for two
years in a large mercantile house. Thence he
went to New York, where he took up the
study of dentistry in the New York Dental
School, graduating with the degree of D. D.
S. in 1870. Since that time he has been stead-
ily engaged in the practice of his profession,
and has been for some time located on West
Thirty-sixth street, where he has an extensive
business, taking the entire time of himself and
his son. Dr. Wilson has been somewhat active
in social matters, was for many years a mem-
ber of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, and is a
member of the New York Athletic Club ;
Hempstead Bay Yacht Club : Cnqua Yacht
and Camera Clubs of New York, and is a
trustee of the Maine Society of New York.
He is an earnest Republican in political prin-
ciple, and afifiliates with Continental Lodge,
A. F. and A. M. of New York City. He
married. October 15, 1868. Laura T., daugh-
ter of Samuel and Hannah (Hall) Merrill,
the former a farmer of Nobleboro, Maine,
where he was born October 25, 1845. Chil-
dren: I. Maud Merrill, born June 7, 1870. is
wife of Grant Stewart. 2. George Alfred.
D. D. S., July 9, 1873 ; is associated with his
father in business. 3. Laura Marion, Septem-
ber 18. 1882. is wife of T. Parmlv Paret.

The original Darling familv
DARLING settled at Cape Cod', Massa-
chusetts, and the branch from
which the Maine line to which the .\uburn
members belong had for their ancestor John

(I) John Darling was a native of Cape Cod.
and when grown to manhood became a sea
captain of some considerable note. He mar-
ried a Miss Murtch.

(II) John (2). son of John (i) Darling,
the Cape Cod progenitor, was born in 1800,
on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. When a small
boy his father removed to Jay, Maine, where
he attended the schools of that day. When
old enough he learned the shoemaker's trade.
In 1822 he married Elizabeth Coding, born
in 1800 at Jay. They both died in 1888, about
four weeks apart, in Auburn. Maine, where



they had resided since 1849. Tiiey were the
parents of eleven children, including a son
named Veranus.

(III) Veranus, son of John (2) and Eliza-
beth (Coding) Darling," was born at Jay,
Maine, in 1828, and obtained a common school
education such as the schools of that day af-
forded. When old enough he learned' the
popular trade of his times— that of aslioe-
maker. Subsequently he engaged in the lum-
ber business, and became an extensive oper-
ator at Rangley Lakes. He also carried on
a large stock farm, in which he was highly
successful in producing fancy grades of stock.
He married Martha, dausihter of Jonathan
and Ruth (Ridley) Bickford. Children:
Charles and John, born at Eowdoin ; Menja-
min, Lillian, born at Rangley; Veranus S.
and Arthur, born at Bowdoin.

(IV) Veranus S., son of Veranus and
Martha ( Bickford) Darling, was born No-
vember 14, 1876, at Bowdoin, Maine. He
received a thorough business education, and in
1899 opened a bicycle repair and sale shop,
which he operated until 1900, then moved to a
store building on Court street, and added
sporting goods. In 1904 he established an au-
tomobile business and the following year built
a garage. In 1907 he sold his store, finding
it impossible to attend to that and his rapidly
increasing automobile trade. He is of the
"Darling Automobile Company," which con-
cern has, by careful business management, de-
veloped until they have several branch places
of business throughout the state of Maine, do-
ing a business of one hundred thousand dol-
lars in 1907. Mr. Darling married, June 25,
1902, Florence, daughter of George M. Roak ;
one son, Elmer R. Darling, born May 27,

From the Fatherland came John
ULMER Ulmer in 1740 to Broad Bay,

now Waldoboro, Maine. He
was a leading man in civil, military, and ec-
clesiastical affairs in the infant settlement at
the mouth of the turbulent Penobscot. With
him came his son John, a lad of four sum-

(II) Captain John (2), son of John (i)
Ulmer. was born in Germany in 1736. He re-
moved from Waldoboro to what is now the
city of Rockland, then an unbroken forest, and
was a large landowner. He was the first to
burn lime in that section, now so famous for
its inexhaustible lime quarries, which indus-
try was exploited by General Knox. John
was a large shipowner and builder, and

launched the first vessel from Rockland. He
cut and shipped lumber in his own boats, nav-
igated by himself. He was a lay preacher at
the Broad P>ay religious meetings, which were
held in his log cabin. Though a very pious
man, he had a Utile of tlie unregcnerale Adam
left in his constitution, and the story goes
that in the midst of one of his religious ex-
hortations he perceived that his potato patch
was in danger from hogs. He suddenly
broke out, "Donner!" and "blitzen!" "Yacob,
Yacob! Dare de tam hogs in de potatoes.
Run ! run !" He was a pretty shrewd calcu-
lator, and made a discriminating selection of
quarr\-, soil, and seashore when he purchased
his farm. The Ulmer descendants as much as
any others have been instrumental in creating
the present prosperous city of Rockland, and
have contributed not a little to its material de-
velopment. With that city's constant and
steady growth the Ulmers have prospered,
too, and become well-to-do citizens. Some
built mills, some went into navigation, and
some run lime kilns, but all have flourished.
Captain John married Catherine Remilly, who
was born in mid-ocean during the passage of
her parents to this country. Their children
were: George, Mary, John, Margaret,
Matthias, Mary, Philip, Sarah, Martin and

(III) Matthias, third son of Captain John
(2) and Catherine (Remilly) Ulmer, was
born in Rockland. Knox county, Maine ; died
April 8. 1841. He married Betsey Demuth ;
children : Catherine, Sarah, Eunice, Jennie,
Ephraim, Susannah, James A., Eliza, Mary
Ann and Matthias.

(IV) Major James A., second son of
Matthias and Betsey (Demuth) Ulmer, was
born in Rockland: died in 1887. He was in-
terested in the lime rock quarries. He mar-
ried Catherine Black : children : Frederick
Thomas. Caroline B., Matthias, Martha L. and
Violetta. He married (second) Phebe (Car-
riel) Morse, and she was the mother of Ma-
tilda M.

(V) Frederick Thomas, eldest son of
James A. and Catherine (Black) Ulmer, was
born September' 28, 1827, in Rockland, Maine;
died December 14, 1893. He received a prac-
tical education, and became interested in the
limestone quarries with his father, and upon
the latter's death succeeded to the business.
In 1889 he sold out to the Lime Trust and
was not again engaged in active business. He
was a regular attendant of the church and
gave liberally of his means, toward its support.
He served one year in the city councils, but



he was not a politician in tlic usual sense of
the word, but believed in good government,
the honest enforcement of the laws, and the
election of capable men to office. He mar-
ried Mary F., daughter of Ohadiali Morse,
[anuarv 19, 1851 : children: Ralph Rising and
Nellie G.

(VI) Ralph Rising, son of Frederick T. and
Mary (Morse) Ulmer, was bom January 4,
1864. He was a pupil in the public schools of
Rockland, with additional courses at Kent's
Hill, and the Maine State College at Orono.
A law student in the office of B. K. Kalloch.
he was admitted to the Kno.x county bar at
the September term. 1887. Ralph possessed
the qualifications that go to make the suc-
cessful lawyer, and was thorough, careful, ac-
curate, and of unyielding perseverance.
Courteous to his opponent, but solicitously re-
gardful of his client's rights for which he
strenuously contended. He was elected to the
office of clerk of court for Knox county in
1888 by a large majority over a very popular
opponent. Esquire Ulmer was made trial
justice of Rockland in i8gi. When the bat-
tleship "Maine" sank into the mud of Havana
harbor. Judge Ulmer was captain of the Til-
ton Light Infantry of Rockland, and he with
his entire coinpany went to Augusta and en-
listed to revenge the Spaniards, becoming part
of the First Maine Volunteer Infantry, in
which Captain I'lmer was promoted to be
major. The regiment went into camp at Chick-
amaiiga. and there Major Ulmer contracted
typhoid malaria and was furloughed home,
where he died. In his death the army has lost
one of its most promising officers, the court a
most efficient official, and the bar one of its
ablest and most highly esteemed members. .At
a session of the supreme judicial court held at
Rockland, September term. 1898. the follow-
ing is a portion of the resolutions adopted at
that time by the bar association : "That
Major Ulmer was a steadfast friend, an lion-
est lawyer, an efficient public servant, a gal-
lant soldier, a patriotic citizen, and an upright
man. and that his comrades in the fi'eUl and
camp, those who have had fellowship with
him in social and religious life, and particu-
larly his brethren at the bar, while they ac-
knowledge that the decrees of the Great judge
of all the earth, though in.scrutable and always
wise, nevertheless cannot but deeply grieve
that the kind heart of the .strong man is still,
and the sincere friend, true brother, and prime
companion removed from our association.
that we express our pride in the patri-
otic spirit which led him to give his

life to the service of his country, and
feel that the bar is honored by the repu-
tation he made as a courageous solilier
and an officer whose skill and judgment was
acknowledged by his brother officers, and
whose capacity and devotion to the welfare of
those whom he commanded, endeared him so
highly to them." Major Ulmer married .An-
nie Cooper. June 13, 1888.

Samuel Brown, born in Dan-
BROWN vers. March 17, 1776, was un-
doubtedly a member of the
I5rown family of Danvers. that owe their ex-
istence to the father of the four Brown broth-
ers : Hugh. Samuel, John and Christopher, who
came to Salem. Massachusetts Bay Colony, in
1629. and settled in the southern portion
of the town of Salem, established January 28,
1752, as the district of Danvers, and June 16,
1757. organized with a regular town govern-
ment. The district embraced the middle
parishes in Salem as .Salem \"illage. and con-
sequently look in the first church established
in Salem, .August 23, 1630. He died in 1685.
Of these brothers, John was apparently the
leader, as he was made a freeman May 2,
1638. and was a ruling member of the church.
He had sons baptized in the church as fol-
lows : John, who died in infancy. September,
1638; James. June 7. 1640; Jacob, and Sam-
uel, Alarch 13, 1642: Nathaniel. July 28. 1644;
John, the second child of the name. May 18,
1645. This line would give Samuel, 1776, in
the sixth generation from John, the progeni-
tor, assuming it was John of the four broth-
ers that was the progenitor, as we know he
had a large family of sons and daughters and
that each generation presents the name Sam-

(VI) .Samuel, a direct descendant in the
sixth generation, of one of the four immi-
grants bearing the names of Hugh, Samuel,
John and Christopher Brown. Salem X'illage,
1629, was born in Danvers (Salem Village)
March 17, 1776. He w-as brought up as a
farmer, and after his marriage to Ruth Hor-
ton. of Danvers removed to Blue Hill. Han-
cock county. Maine, where he was apparently
a leading citizen, and when the new meeting
house was completed, September 11, 1797, to
take the place of the one in which the church
w^as organized in 1772. Samuel Brown had
the seventeenth choice of pews at the sale,
and selected ]jew mmiber four, priced at fifty-
two dollars, with premium of five dollars and
fifty cents for his choice. In the war of 1812
he did military service, at the time Castine


t cu


was occupied by the British for nearly a year.
He died on his farm in Orland, 'Hancock
county, not far from Bhie Hill, in 1855, hav-
ing nearly reached the sixtieth year "of his
age. His widow died in Portland, Maine, at
the age of ninety-three years.

(VH) Samuel Peters, son of Samuel and
Ruth (Horton) Brown, was born in North
Blue Hill, ;\Iaine, December q, 1816. He re-
sided in Orland, Maine, for some years, and
during the time represented that district in the
state legislature. In i86r he removed
to Washington, D. C, having been appointed
navy agent at Washington by President Lin-
coln. He was married, in 1840. to Charlotte
Metcalf, daughter of Horation Mason, of Or-
land, Maine. Her father was born in Prince-
ton, Massachusetts, in 1775, and died in Or-
land, Maine, in 1858. He married Nancy
Prescott, born in Lancaster, Massachusetts,
and died in Orland, Maine, when fifty-nine
years of age. Her grandfather. Thomas Ma-
son, was a revolutionary patriot, and saw mil-
itary service at Lexington and Bunker Hill,
and as a lieutenant in Cushing's Massachu-
setts regiment.

Mrs. Samuel Peters P.rown ( Charlotte Met-
calf Mason) died in Orland. Maine, in 1858.
She was the mother of twelve children, six of
whom were living in 1896. C)f these chil-
dren : ( 1 ) Austin Peters Brown, born in
North Blue Plill. Maine, December 5. 1843:
he received an excellent school training, and
was graduated at Eastman's Business College,
Poughkeepsie, New York. He lived in Wash-
ington, D. C, after 1863. and was engaged
with his father in furnishing the government
with army supplies, and after 1885 in the real
estate business. He married (first) Carrie
Bell, who was the mother of his first two chil-
dren — Arthur and Mabel. In 1879 he married
Cornelia Carr, daughter of Warren Brown, of
Brooklyn, New York, a native of Portland,

Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 122 of 128)