George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 19 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 19 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


great notoriety as a religious teacher and
leader of the doctrine of the Antinomians
(vide Anne Hutchinson 1590- 1643). August-
ine Storr suffered persecution with John
Wheelwright, and i\nne Hutchinson and he
became one of the combination of Exeter and
a founder of the church at Dover, New Hamp-
shire. He died before 1643.

(II) William, son of Augustine Storr, or
Storer, was with his father an early founder
of Dover, New Hampshire, and after the death
of his father he went to Wells in the Province
of Maine with Rev. John Wheelwright and
was a founder of that town and church. Will-
iam Storer married and had at least four chil-
dren : Joseph, see forward, Jeremiah, living
in Wells in 1726, Samuel, Benjamin. He
removed with his family to Wells after 1643,
and died there in 1660; in 1661 his widow
married Samuel Austin, and the family were
placed under the guardianship of their step-
father.

(HI) Joseph, eldest son of William Storer,
was born in Wells, Province of Maine, in
1648, where he was brought up and learned
the business of lumberman, and when his



father died he was but twelve years old. When
he reached his majority he came into posses-
sion of his father's estate, as his brothers did
not live to reach manhood, and he built a saw-
mill and manufactured boards and sawed lum-
ber for building purposes. He had already
been a soldier in King Philip's war, 1675, and
had learned the lesson taught by Indian war-
fare under that cruel leader and relentless foe
of the white settlers. He continued active in
the militar}- service of the province, and was
made ensign in 1680. His knowledge of the
treachery and cruelty of the methods practiced
by the Indians caused him to provide for the
safety of the women and children of the settle-
ment beyond that offered by the strong arm of
the husband and father, who not infrequently
was called from home as a member of the or-
ganized militia. He built a strong and roomy
house in 1679, using heavy timbers in its con-
struction, placing it on the main road in a cen-
tral position, and this he strengthened as a
military post and garrison house by surround-
ing it with a high and strong fence constructed
of logs placed upright, close together, with
loopholes for the use of rifles. Within this en-
closure he built several small houses for the
comfort of families obliged to flee to the gar-
rison house for refuge. The larger strong-
hold was always open for the accommodation
and entertainment of the people, and officers
and soldiers in the service of the Colony al-
ways found within its walls a hearty welcome.
He disbursed his provisions with a liberal
hand, and the defenseless settlers were sure
of a safe retreat within its hospitable doors.
He was, as well, active in the defence of the
Province and encouraged the people to main-
tain their homes and continue to cultivate their
farms, and when driven out they were given
lots of land for tillage near the fort and ample
pasturage for their cattle. In case of actual
conflict with the Indians, the wounded were
brought to the house, where he provided as far
as in his power to their desperate needs. This
was done with no expectation of reward either
from those he benefited or from the Colonial
government under which he was at the same
time serving as a military officer. His treat-
ment of all, through the trials of the Indian
wars, was marked by unchangeable humanity.
He was a noble Christian man in all his inter-
course with his fellowmen, and from him have
descended all the Storers of Maine, including
such honorable names as Bellamy Storer, Cin-
cinnati. Ohio (born 1847). the diplomat: Bel-
lamy Storer, LL. D. (1798- 1875), a represen-
tative in the twenty-fourth congress, presiden-



1/4-'



STATE OF MAINE.



tial elector on the Clay and Fessenden ticket
in 1844. judge of the superior court of Ohio,
1853-71: Clement Storer (1760-1830), physi-
cian, major-general, speaker of the house of
representatives of New Hampshire, represen-
tative of the tenth United States congress,
1807-09, United States senator 1817-19, high
sheriff of Rockingham county, 1818-24; David
Humphreys Storer, U. D. (1804-1891), found-
er of the' Tremont Medical School, Boston,
1887, physician to the Massachusettts General
Hospitak 1849-58, Dean of Harvard Medical
School, 1855-64; his father, Woodbury Storer,
chief justice of the court of common pleas in
Falmouth: Francis Humphreys Storer (born
1832), professor of agricultural chemistry,
Harvard University, since 1870; Horatio Rob-
inson Storer, M. D., Newport, Rhode Island
(born in 1830), physician, editor and author;
George Washington Storer (1789-1864), rear-
admiral U. S. N.

Ensign Joseph Storer married Hannah,
born !May 6, 1680, daughter of Roger and
Mary (Cross) Hill, of Saco, Maine. Joseph
Storer died in 1700, soon after the close of the
Lovewell war, and at the time of his death he
was the richest man in the town of Wells, his
property being appraised at over £1,000. The
children of Joseph and Hannah (Hill) Storer,
born in \\ells. Province of Maine, were :
Sarah, Mary, Abigail, Colonel Joseph, A. B.,
Harvard, 1745, died 1777; John, Hepzebah,
Ebenezer, a merchant in Boston ; Seth.

(IV) Colonel John, second son and fifth
child of Joseph and Hannah (Hill) Storer,
was born in Wells, Maine, September 5, 1694,
while all the people of Wells were shut in the
garrison house built by his father. He rebuilt
the sawmill in 1730. He was a member of a
committee of three to finish the inside of the
meeting-house in 1734. He built a sloop in
1739 for himself and his brother Ebenezer,
a merchant in Iloston, which was lost at sea
in 1741. the crew being rescued by a vessel
bound from Bristol, England, to Philadelphia.
John Storer was in the government employ
in 1740, being sent to Fort Richmond and St.
Georges to put the forts in condition for de-
fence. He enlisted a company in Wells for
the Louisburg expedition, and was at the time
called major, and in the list of volunteers his
name appears as "Colonel John Storer, Cap-
tain," and the troops were transported to Bos-
ton by water in February, 1744, and he wrote
a long letter to his wife, April 26, 1744, which
was addressed to "Mrs. Elizabeth Storer at
Wells in New England," which indicated that
he was a gentleman of good education, high



standing and excellent repute. He again
writes his wife, this time from: "At the Camp
Cape Breton, May 21, 1745," describing the
landing of the troops and capture of the town.
On September 16, 1745. Rev. y\r. JelTerds
wrote to Colonel Storer congratulating him on
the triumphs of the army, and asks him to
"present my duty to his l-l.xcellency, Capt.
Gen. Pepperell." In it he says "your aged
holy mothers are still living; your pious con-
sort bears her trouble with sweet serenity of
mind ; your eldest son keeps our school ; your
second looks after your husbandry ; your eld-
est daughter is in Boston ; your two youngest
daughters are at home, and little Samuel is
ready to tly and jump in your arms." On
March 9, 1756, he was ordered by Sir William
Pepperell to see that no man go six rods from
his lodging without his gun and a supply of
ammunition. John Storer. "the right hand
man of Sir William Pepperell in the expedition
against Louisburg," died in Wells, IMaine, Oc-
tober 3, 1768.

(\') John (2), son of Colonel John (i)
and Elizabeth Storer, began life as a miller
trader, and this led to his becoming a shipper.
In 1795 he built the largest ship ever built in
Wells or Kennebunk, being of two hundred
and ninety tons burden. His business ven-
tures turned out unprofitable beyond the ac-
quirements of the means necessary for the
wants of his famih'. He was a selectman in
1785 and again in 1791, when by re-election
he held the office up to 1807. He was town
treasurer 1785-1810, representative to the gen-
eral court of Massachusetts, 1791-1800 and
1804-09. He was a member of the committee
chosen July 5, 1779, to request the legislation
to afford relief to the town unable to pay the
claim against it : a delegate to the convention
held in Falmouth in 1785 to consider the ques-
tion of separation from Massachusetts ; was
moderator of the town meeting held May 2,
1796, to discuss the merits of the Jay treaty,
and he signed the memorial prepared and pre-
sented to the United States congress praying
"that the treaty be carried into full and com-
plete effect. He married Hannah, daughter of
Rev. Moses Morrill, of Biddeford, December
24, 1772, and they had nine children. His
first wife died May 25, 1790, and he married
as his second wife, ]\Iay 12, 1793, Elizabeth,
daughter of Rev. John Fairfield, and widow
of William Scammon, and they had five chil-
dren. Of the children of John and Hannah
(Morrill) Storer, the first two died in infancy:
their daughter Sarah married Rev. Nathaniel
H. Fletcher shortlv after his ordination as



STATE OF MAINE.



1/43



minister of the church of Wells, July 5, 1800;
Alary married William Cole; Elizabeth, never
married ; Hannah, married William Gooch ;
John Langdon ; Samuel ; Olive, married Sam-
uel Curtis jr. in 1827, she being his third
wife. Children of second marriage : Martha
Ruggles, married Lauriston Wood, of Saco ;
John (q. v.), born January 18, 1796; Mary
Ann ; Caroline Langdon, married Samuel B.
Morrill, and as her second husband George
Starrett ; Hannah, married Dr. E. G. Aloore ;
Hannah Elvira, married Ralph Hobbs ; Al-
mera, who died at the age of eleven.

(VI) John (3), son of John (2) Storer,
was born in Wells, Maine, January 18, 1796.
He attended the district school, and when
quite young became a clerk in a general store
at Kennebunk carried on by Benjamin Smith
and Horace Porter, who were also engaged
in shipping merchandise to other ports under
their firm name of Smith & Porter. Their
knowledge of the business ability of young
Storer induced them to offer him a half in-
terest in a new store to be opened at Sanford,
they furnishing the capital and he giving his
time as manager. This offer resulted in the
establishment of the firm of John Storer &
Company at Sanford, Maine, and he built up
a flourishing business which he carried on
successfully for several years, when he pur-
chased the half interest of Smith & Porter and
continued the business on his own account up
to his retirement, with an ample fortune, but
greatly impaired in health. As his health im-
proved he associated in business with active
partners in Portland for a short time, when
grief over the death of his wife in i860 and
anxiety over the issue of the civil war, 1861-
65, ended his useful life on October 23, 1867,
at his home in Sanford. He had served his
town as selectman and member of the school
committee, being elected to both positions in
1837, having previously been postmaster at
Springvale, 1832-33. During the civil war he
had the Union cause greatly at heart, and his
support of the government and of the soldiers
in the field and the widows and fatherless ones
at home was generous and continuous. After
the war he offered to erect a monument to the
memory of the soldiers from Sanford who
gave their lives for their country on the battle-
fields, in prison pens, or in the malarious re-
gions of the southern states. The town, how-
ever, refused his liberal offer, not being willing
to comply with certain stipulated conditions,
and the project was not carried out. In 1867
he contributed $10,000 as a foundation for a
college for the education of the freed men and



their children, and Storer College, Harper's
Ferry, West Virginia, was the result of his
benefaction, and its doors were opened Octo-
ber 2, 1867. He also contributed $1,000
towards a library for the school. He was mar-
ried soon after leaving his native town of
Wells to Meribah, daughter of Joseph and
Abigail Hobbs, born in Wells, Maine, January
'/• 1797> Slid died in Sanford, Maine, IMarch
10, i860, and by her marriage with John
Storer became the mother of six children,
born in Sanford, Maine, as follows : Horace
Porter, George Lord, Olive AL, married, Alay
I, 1S50, Moses M. Butler, John Lewis,
George Lord, Frederick. His second and third
died young.

(VII) Horace Porter, eldest son of John
(3) and Meribah (Hobbs) Storer, was born
December 6, 1822, in Sanford, Alaine. He
removed to Portland at an early age, where
he learned the drygoods business and he car-
ried it on successfully, part of the time alone,
then in partnership with his brother, George
Lord, as H. P. & G. L. Storer. He married
Mary Thomas Barker, and had five children :
Fred Lewis, Alice Porter, and three who died
in infancy. He died in Portland, Maine, De-
cember 6, 1897, aged exactly seventy-five
years.

(\'II) George Lord, fourth son of John
and Meribah (Hobbs) Storer, was born in
Sanford, Maine, May 8, 183 1, became a clerk
at eighteen and a partner at twenty-one with
his brother, Horace Porter, in the drygoods
business in Portland as H. P. & G. L. Storer,
then as Storer & Cutler, his brother H. P.
having retired, and, on the admission of his
brother Frederick, in 1863, as Storer, Cutler
& Company, until j\lr. Cutler withdrew, when
the firm became G. L. Storer & Company. In
1865 he, with his brother Frederick, with-
drew, and he located in Madison, Wisconsin,
where he died August 12, 1905. He married
Mary F. Johnson, and had five children : Mary
Porter, George Cutler, Isabel Corey, John and
Annie Hepworth. His widow died in 1908.

(\TI) Frederick, fifth son of John and
Meribah (Hobbs) Storer, was born in San-
ford, Alaine, August 6, 1833. He was edu-
cated in the district school, and in 1848 became
a partner in the drygoods house of Storer &
Cutler in Portland. In 1852 he formed a
partnership with J. R. Corey in the same line
of business, as J. R. Corey & Company, and
in 1863 sold out his interest and became a
partner in the firm of Storer & Cutler, the
new firm being Storer, Cutler & Company, and
he withdrew from the firm in 1865 at the



1/44



STATE OF MAINE.



same time his brother, George Lord, with-
drew. He helped to form the wholesale dry-
good; firm of Locke, Meserve & Company, of
Portland, in 1867. and this firm remained in
business up to 1875. In 1866 he built the
Pondicherry Woolen Mills at Bridgton, Cum-
berland county, Maine, which he operated
1866-72. employing from seventy-five to one
hundred operatives and the output in woolen
goods amounted to a value of $300,000 an-
nually. He was a member of the firm of
Storer Pirotliers, wholesale dealers in drygoods,
in Portland, 1872-83, and in 1883 he retired
from the drygoods trade and engaged in the
real estate business, in which he was still actively
engaged in 1908. He attends the Unitarian
church, votes independently of party ties, and
is a member of no club or social organiza-
tions. He was married in Portland, Maine,
September 10, 1858, to Anne, daughter of
Hon. Nathaniel Swett and Joanna (Gibbs)
Littlefield. Nathaniel Swett Littlefield (1804-
82) was a son of Ebenezer and grandson of
Elisha Littlefield, of Wells, Maine. He prac-
ticed law in Bridgton, Maine, was a state sen-
ator 1837-39, and president of the senate in
1838: a representative in the twenty-seventh
and thirty-first United States congresses, 1841-
43, and 1849-51 ; a representative in the ]\Iaine
legislature, 1854; a delegate to the Union Con-
vention in Philadelphia, 1866.



The ancestor of the Hill family of
HILL this article was a very early immi-
grant to America and was almost
as early a settler in New England as John
Hill, of Plymouth and Boston, 1630. This
Hill family is probably the earliest of the name
in Maine.

(I) Peter Hill, the settler, sailed from Ply-
mouth, England, in the ship "Huntress" with
John Winter, and landed March 22, 1632-33,
at Richmond island, and settled with his son
Roger in Biddeford, near the mouth of Scad-
lockes. now Little River, a few years previous
to 1648. He is described as a "planter and
sailor," was admitted freeman July 5, 1653,
in Saco. and was a member of the assembly of
Liconia, or Lygonia, in 1648, and died Au-
gust 29, 1667. New Hampshire having sought
admission into Massachusetts, w^as soon fol-
lowed by the settlers of York county, who had
become weary of the government of Thomas
Gorges, and among them was Peter Hill, who
was notified by the government to take the
oath of allegiance in 1652.

(II) Roger, only son of Peter Hill, was
born in 1635, as shown by a deposition, and



died in Wells, in 1696. He was admitted a
freeman Jul\- 5, 1653, and was constable in
1661. He married, in November. 1658, Mary,
daughter of John Crosse Sr., of Wells. She
died June 24, 1696. Their children were:
Sarah, Hannah, John, Samuel, Joseph, Mercy,
Benjamin and Ebenezer.

(lllj Joseph, fifth child and third son of
Roger and Mary (Crosse) Hill, born in Saco
in 1 67 1, resided in Wells, where he died July
12. 1743, in his seventy-third year. The "His-
tory of Wells and Kennebunk" says of him :
"He was a prominent man among the inhabi-
tants, though he does not appear to have been
much in public office. Pie served as justice
of the peace for many years. He was a gen-
tleman of the old school, and his intercourse
was marked with that courteous and gentle-
manly demeanor which the best civilization of
the day inculcated. He had a good property,
and indulged in a style of life above that of
the people of that period, and was anxious that
the dignity of the family should be maintained
through all coming time. He therefore made
such an entail of his estate that from gen-
eration to generation it should "bear up" the
name of Hill. He was commissioned as a
magistrate; was representative in 1727; col-
lector of the excise in 1734. \'arious munici-
pal offices were committed to him, and in the
disposition of the pews in the meeting-house
the best appears to have been conceded to him,
as a matter of propriety. He had three slaves,
Sharper, Plato and the "negro boy Tom." In
his will he gave the first and the last to his
wife, Plato to his son Nathaniel, and to the
church and the minister each ten pounds. His
wife, the mother of his children, was Hannah
Littlefield, who died October 10, 1738. Hav-
ing no sympathy with celibacy, and his own
experience concurring with the declaration of
Infinite Wisdom that "it is not good for man
to be alone," he two months afterward, De-
cember 12, 1738, married Sarah, daughter of
Daniel Sayer. He served as a lieutenant under
his brother. Captain John, at Saco fort. The
children of Joseph and Hannah (Littlefield)
Hill were : Joseph, Benjamin, Nathaniel, Han-
nah and Peniniah.

(IV) Nathaniel, third son of Joseph and
Hannah (Littlefield) Hill, was born in Wells,
November 13, 1701. and he and his brother
received by request the large estate of their
father, among the property being several
negroes. The records of \\'ells shows that in a
certain year Nathaniel Hill raised one hun-
dred and fifty bushels of corn and kept nine
cows and six oxen. He married, December



STATE OF MAINE.



'745



II, 1729, Priscilla Littlefield. Their children
were: Joseph (died young-). Joseph, Hannah,
Benjamin (died young;), Nathaniel, Benjamin,
and Jonathan, whose sketch next follows.

( V ) Jonathan, youngest son of Nathaniel
and Pri.scilla (Littlefield) Hill, born in \\'ells,
June 22, 1746, died March 11, 1817, aged
seventy-one years. He was a man of high
character, well olT and much respected. In
1808 Nathaniel Wells, Jonathan Hill, and Jo-
seph Oilman were appointed a committee "to
make a survey of the outlines of the propri-
etors" lands which remain undivided and re-
turn a plan of the same." Jonathan Hill mar-
ried, October 9, 1766, a few months before
he was twenty-one, Huldah, daughter of Sam-
uel Littlefield. Their children were : Priscilla,
Nathaniel. Jonathan, Abraham, who was lost
at sea; Jepthet. Jacob, Samuel and Hulda.

(\T) Nathaniel (2), second child and eldest
son of Nathaniel and Huldah (Littlefield) Hill,
born in Wells, March 19, 1769, died in Greene,
December 28, 1847, ^ged seventy-eight. In
1808 he removed his family from Wells to
Greene, where he settled on a farm which
he tilled \\ith care and diligence, and in the
season when agricultural labor was not press-
ing he busied himself with shoemaking, and
was a useful and respected citizen of the town.
He was prosperous and thrifty and increased
his original farm of one hundred and twenty-
five acres by purchase to one hundred and
sixty. In politics he was a Whig; he filled the
offices of constable and tax collector. His
wife Mary, whom he married February 7,
1793. died November i, 1838. She was the
daughter of Benjamin and Dorcas (Black)
Littlefield. Of this union were born six chil-
dren, all natives of Wells : Priscilla, Jane,
Dorcas, Huldah, Jonas and Tristram, the sub-
ject of the following paragraph.

(\TI) Tristram, youngest of the children
of Nathaniel (2) and Mary (Littlefield) Hill,
born in Wells, June 26, 1806, died in Greene,
December 2. 1877. He was educated in the
common schools of his native town, and at the
age of twenty began teaching in the towns of
Greene, Webster and Harpswell for fifteen
years. He succeeded to the ownership of the
Hill homestead, which is still the property of
a member of the Hill family. He served the
public schools faithfully for a number of years,
being a member of the school committee, se-
lectman, and justice of the peace, and repre-
sented the town in the legislature. His in-
terest in agriculture was strong and intelli-
gent, and he was one of the founders of the
Androscoggin Agricultural Society, of which



he was also an officer. He wedded. May 28,
1837. Christina Brewster Sprague, born Au-
gust 29, 1817, died October 7, 1887, daughter
of William and Martha (Brewster) Sprague,
of Greene and Leeds respectively. Their
children were : Winfield Scott, Byron Gordon,
Cedora Jane, Clara Acte, Mary Christina, and
Frederic Tristram. Winfield Scott is men-
tioned below. Byron Gordon, born October
2O, 1840, married, June 20, 1865, Octavia
Hannah Lowell, by whom he has six children.
Cedora Jane, February 8, 1845, married, No-
vember 16, 1872, Arthur Given Moulton, and
has one child, Edith Sprague, married Charles
A. Knight, September 14, 1901. Clara Acte,
October 9, 1848, became the wife of Wilbur
F. Mower, December 27, 1868, and died child-
less, February 25, 1878. Mary Christina, Au-
gust 20, 1853, was married to John W. Moul-
ton, September 2, 1873, and has one child,
Clara Ella. Frederic Tristram, July 15, 1861,
married, November 15, 1882, Stella Adelaide
Washburn, of Greene. They have two chil-
dren : Ada Louise and Royden Mellen.

(VIII) Winfield Scott,' M. D., eldest child
of Tristram and Christina B. (Sprague) Hill,
was born in Greene, January 19, 1839. He ac-
quired a common school education in his na-
tive place, was fitted for college at Lewiston
Falls Academy, and the Ivlaine State Semi-
nary in Lewiston, and in 1863 entered Tufts
College. In the following year, thinking that
he could be of service to his country and at
the same time obtain a valuable professional
knowledge for himself, he left college and for
several months was employed in the army
hospital at Augusta. Subsequently for a con-
sitlerable period he was surgeon's steward in
the United States navy and was stationed along
the Atlantic coast. Prior to this time he had
begun the study of medicine under the super-
vision of Dr. Milan Graves, of Sabattus. The
close of the war terminated his connection with
the government service, and he matriculated
at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New
York, from which he graduated March i, 1867,
with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. April
17, 1867, he opened an office in Augusta,
where for more than forty years he has prac-
ticed with success, and has a wide reputation
as a surgeon and a physician. Early in 1874,
Prof. Esmarch, the distinguished German sur-
geon, made known to the surgical profession
his wonderful discovery of bloodless amputa-
tions. Acting on his description of his method,
Dr. Hill, assisted by the late Dr. George W.
Martin, performed, December 8, 1874, for the
first time in this section of the state, a blood-



1746



STATE OF .MAl.XF,.



less amputation of the leg, on tlie person of
William B. Small, of Augusta. The operation
was perfectly successful, and the patient made
a rapid recovery. Tufts College, when erect-
ing a memorial to the civil war soldiers, placed
Dr. Hill's name upon it. He is a member of



Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 19 of 128)