George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 43 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 43 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

(Ill) John, eldest child of
AIERRILL Nathaniel (2) and Joanna

(Kinney) Merrill, was born
February 16, 1663, in Newbury, and resided
in that town and Haverhill. He was a house
carpenter and removed to the last named town
in 1697. Two years later, he resided in Brad-
ford and was again in Haverhill in 1700 and
later. He died May 15, 1705, his widow be-
ing made executrix of his estate July 9, 1705.



He married Lucy Webster, daiig'liter of John
(2) and Ann (Bait) Webster and grand-
daugbter of John ( i ) \\'ebster, a pioneer of
Ipswicb. She was born December 15, 1664,
in Xewbury, and was still living in Haverhill
in 1718. Their children were: Nathaniel,
Abel. Lucy. Abigail. John, Hannah, Steven.
Enoch and Xathan.

(IV) John (2). third son of John (i) and
Lucy ( \\'cbster ) Merrill, was born April 2,
i6g6, in Haverhill, and was living in York,
Maine, in 1718. He subsequently returned to
Haverliill, whence he removed about 1730 to
Concord, New Hampshire, being one of the
pioneers of that town. He was elected dea-
con of the church there December 17, 1730,
and was an active and useful citizen of the
infant colony. He maintained the first ferry
over the Merrimac River and built his house at
the lower end of Main street, where the roads
part. The location is described as on a hill,
and this was probably at the corner of the
present Maine and West streets. The original
well continued in use as late as fifty years ago.
He married Lydia Haines, probably of York,
and a daughter of Thomas Haines, of Ames-
bury, who had two sons living in York in
1706. The baptism of their first three chil-
dren is recorded in Haverhill. Among his de-
scendants were seven ministers, two lawyers
and two physicians, and he had forty-three
grandchildren bearing the name of Merrill.
The names of his children were : Moses,
Thomas, John, Hannah (died in infancy),
Jonathan, Hannah, Nathaniel, Sarah, Anne,
Abigail and Lydia.

(\') Nathaniel, the fifth son of John (2)
and Lydia (Haines) Merrill, was born No-
vember 4, 1738, in Concord, New Hampshire,
and removed to Fryeburg, Maine, in 1763,
subsequently locating in Brownfield, where he
was a farmer, a justice of the peace, anrl died
in 1824. He married Anne Walker and they
were the parents of Nathaniel. John. Sarah.
Lydia, Isaac, Moses, James W.. Samuel C,
Mary, Nancv, Ruth. Thomas H., Betsey E.
and Judith W.

(VI) Moses, fourth son of Nathaniel (3)
and -Anne (\\'alker) Alerrill, was born March
'/• ^777' in Brownfield, Maine, and resided, a
farmer, in that town, where he died August
31, 1870. He married Sallv. daughter of
Enoch and granddaughter of Thomas IVIerrill,
and their children were: Enoch. Hannah,
Lucius, Judith E. and Moses C. The eldest
son settled in Gray, Maine, where he died in
1908, the second in .Auburn, and tlie youngest
in Portland, Maine.

(\11) Lucius, second son of JMoses and
Sally (Merrill) Merrill, was born January 8,
1 82 1, in Brownfield. and settled in 1848 at
Auburn, Maine, where he died July 10. 1895.
He was a carpenter by occupation, as was ihis
brother, Moses, and did considerable building
in the city of Auburn. He married, September
8, 1848, Anne E. Jones, born October 8, 1823,
died July 27, igo6, daughter of the Rev. Eli-
jah Jones, of Minot, Maine. They were the
parents of William J., Charlissa R., George
Perkins, Ruth C, Lucius H., Harriet S. and
Horace C. ^Merrill. One child, Preston, died
in infancy.

(\'III) George Perkins, second son of Lu-
cius and Anne E. (Jones) Merrill, was born
May 31, 1854. in Auburn, where he grew to
manhood. After an attendance at the public
schools and the Lewiston Falls .Academy, he
entered the L'niversity of Maine, working his
own way, and graduating with the degree of
B. S. in 1879. Four years later his alma
mater conferred upon him the degree of Mas-
ter of Science, and that of Doctor of Philoso-
phy in 1889. After his graduation he pur-
sued post graduate courses at \\'esleyan and
Johns Hopkins universities. In 1879 and 1880
he was assistant in chemistry at Wesleyan
L'niversity, working with Professor W. O. At-
w-ater on the chemistry of foods. In 1880-81
he was connected with the fishery census at
Washington, D. C. In July of the latter year
he became connected with the geological de-
partment of the L'nited States National Mu-
seum. Smithsonian Institution, Washington,
and in 1897 was made head curator of its de-
partment of geology. In addition to other
duties, he was lecturer on the economic aspects
of geology in the Maryland Agricultural Col-
lege, 1890-91. and since 1893 has been pro-
fessor of geology and mineralogy in the Cor-
coran Scientific School of Columbian (now
George Washington) L'niversity. He is the
author of several standard works, including
"Stones for Building and Decoration,"
"Rocks. Rockweathering and .'^oils." "The
Non-Metallic Minerals" and "Contributions to
the History of American Geolosjy." besides
many valuable papers in scientific journals.
He was a contributor to the Standard Dic-
tionary, Johnson's L'niversal Encyclopedia,
Russell Sturgis's Dictionary of Architecture
and Building, and Bailey's Cyclopedia of
Agriculture. In 1897 he was an official dele-
gate to the international geological congress at
St. Petersburgh. and incidentally travelled ex-
tensively throughout Russia (including Ar-
menia) and Europe. He married, in Novem-

cJeo^'f/f' .y. ^fu'f'f'f//.



ber, 1883. Sarah, daughter of Joseph R. Far-
rington, of Portland. Maine. She died in
1894, leaving four children: Joseph Farring-
ton, Anne Margaret, Mildred Hastings and
Ruth. In February, 1900, he married Kath-
erine L. Yancey, daughter of Edward R. and
.Susan (Jeffries) Yancey, of Virginia. She is
the mother of one daughter, Katherine Doro-

(\TII) Lucius Herbert, third son of Lucius
and Anne E. (Jones) Merrill, was born Oc-
tober I, 1857, in Auburn, and received his
early educational training in the common
schools of that town, followed by a course in
the Edward Little high school. . In 1880 he
entered the Maine State College (now Uni-
versity of Maine), from which he was gradu-
ated in 1883 in the course of chemistry. Dur-
ing the two succeeding years, he was an as-
sistant curator in the department of lithology
and physical geology of the United States Na-
tional ;\Iuseum. In 1886 he received an ap-
pointment as a chemist in the Maine Agri-
cultural Experiment Station, and was ap-
pointed an instructor in the University of
Maine in 1897. In the succeeding year, he
became the professor of biological chemistry in
that institution, although still continuing his
connection with the Experiment Station. In
1907 he became full professor of biological
and agricultural chemistry and a year later
resigned from the position of the Experiment
Station. The latter position he had held con-
tinuously for twenty-two years, with the ex-
ception of half a year's leave of absence, which
was spent in foreign travel and study. The
degree of Doctor of Science was conferred
upon him in 1907. He married, June 24, 1893,
Lydia M. Bulfum, daughter of Charles Buf-
fum, of Orono, by whom he had one child,
Katherine B. Mrs. Merrill died Alarch 12.

(For preceding generations see Nathaniel Merrill I.)

(Ill) Nathaniel (3), second
MERRILL son of Nathaniel (2) and Jo-
anna (Kinney) Merrill, was
born February 8, 1665, in Newbury, Massa-
chusetts. He died in Haverhill, Massachusetts.
July 4, 1758. A will made by him was dated
June 6, 1738. His wife bore the name of Re-
becca, and upon her decease, December 9,
1689, he took to wife Sarah Woodman. Is-
sue: Nathaniel, born 1688; Hannah, 1692;
Sarah, Peter, Mary, Rebecca, Samuel, who is
memorialized in this article; Elizabeth, John,
Joseph and Benjamin.

(IV) Samuel, third son of Nathaniel (3)

and Sarah (Woodman) Merrill, was born .Au-
gust 4, 171 1. Although there is some dis-
crepancy about the date and birthplace of this
Samuel, he made oath to the fact that he was
born in 171 1, and he has been commonly as-
signed to Salisbury for a birthplace. Some
authorities name Haverhill and allege a dif-
ferent date. This undoubtedly is the .Samuel
who lived in North Yarmouth, Maine, from
1737 to 1743, returning to Salisbury in that
year and remaining till 1751, then in North
Yarmouth till he went to New Gloucester,
Maine, where he resided and died on April
30, 1772. He was by occupation a farmer, and
was constable at North Yarmouth, and joined
the first church there August 21, 1737. New
Gloucester was settled by inhabitants from the
Cape Ann town. It was then the home of the
ruthless savage and the haunt of wandering
moose, monarchs of the forest, growding bears,
hungry wolves, and the timid deer. Here the
unslothful beaver erected his dam w-ith almost
human ingenuity, and the soaring eagle, em-
blem of American liberty, built its nest. To
the northwest, no smoke from a friendly habi-
tation circled skyward. Samuel, who was then
at North Yarmouth, joined the struggling col-
ony, and was immediately recognized as a
leading spirit among them. He was made the
first moderator and selectman. He was twice
married, the name of his second wife being
Anna. He was the father of: Samuel, Ben-
jamin, Judah, Hannah and Elizabeth.

(V) Benjamin, second son of Samuel Mer-
rill, was born February 17, 1740, in North
Yarmouth, baptized April 4, 1741, and joined
the church August 26, 1764. He removed to
Greene, near Lewiston on the west bank of
the Androscoggin, November 15, 1775. He
made the first permanent settlement in what
was once Lewiston Plantations, then Little-
borough, from Moses Little, of Newbury, and
finally Greene, in honor of General Greene.
Mr. Merrill moved his family and goods in an
ox cart to his log cabin, and the snow lay a
foot deep, and tilled the soil for a livelihood.
He married Margaret, daughter of Amos and
Hannah { Larrabee) Harris, who was born
March 18, 1738, in Yarmouth.

(\'I) Benjamin (2), son of Benjamin (i)
and Margaret (Harris) Alerrill, was born
]\Iarch 4, 1801, in Greene, and learned the
wheelwright's trade. He settled in Athens,
Somerset county, Maine, and became the vil-
lage blacksmith and wagon maker. About
1835 h^ went from there to Fairfield, Maine,
and in 1842 to Lowell, JMassachusetts. In 1847
he removed to Tomah, Wisconsin, and there



passed the remainder of his Hfc, dying March
7, 1885. In rcUgious behcf .Mr. Merrill was a
sincere Universalist. He was an earnest sup-
porter of the Abolitionist movement, and did
all in his power to aid the cause. He was
marrie'd in 1829 to Mary Eastman Raymond,
born June 6. 1800, in Harpswell. daughter of
Edward and Lydia (Coombs) Raymond, and
died September 22. 18^0, in Fairfield, Maine.
Edward Raymond was born December 5. 1771,
in Harpswell, and died in Brunswick. June 29,
1853. Lydia Coombs was born August 19,
1776, in Harpswell, and died at Brunswick,
December 3. 1835. The children of Benjamin
(2) and Mary E. (Raymond) Merrill were:
I. Edward R., mentioned below. 2. Anthony,
died at La Crosse, Wisconsin. 3. Converse,
died at Tomah. 4. Lydia, widow of David
Jones, resides in New York. 5. Albert, died
at Sparta. Wisconsin.

(\TI) Edward Raymond, eldest child of
P.enjamin (2) and Mary E. (Raymond), was
born July 18. 1830, in Athens, was educated
in the local schools of Fairfield and learned the
blacksmith's trade in Boston. When about
sixteen years old he went to Boston and en-
tered the employ of D. Tucker, a carriage
spring maker, and was subsequently employed
in the same work with T. W. Brewer. In
1852 he engaged in the manufacture of springs
on his own account at Boston and was getting
nicely started in business when the outbreak
of the civil war aroused his patriotic impulses
and he abandoned his business and left a
young family to go to the defense of his coun-
try. Before attaining his majority he joined
a militia cavalry company known as the Light
Dragoons, in which he became a lieutenant.
He assisted in recruiting two companies for
service in the civil war, and in September, 186 1,
he became a member of the First Massachu-
setts Cavalry. This regiment went into camp at
Readville, whence it departed December 25,
1861, and went to Annapolis, Maryland, to
join General Burnside"s North Carolina expe-
dition. This plan was changed, however, and
it took part in General Hunter's campaign at
Hilton Head. Though there was little serious
fighting in this movement, it involved a series
of drills and thorough preparation for the com-
ing conflict. Mr. Merrill was made lieutenant
of Troop A and was at the battle of South
Mountain : at Antietam under General McClel-
lan : at Secessionville, South Carolina ; at Get-
tysburg under General Meade; with Sheridan
through the Shenandoah \'alley ; and was in
about twenty-five battles and engagements in
all. seeing some hard service. The affair of

Mine Run, or as it is sometimes called. Par-
ker's Store, where Lieutenant Merrill was
wounded, occurred in November, 1863. The
regiment was attacked by the advance guard
of Wade Hampton's division. It happened
that Lieutenant Merrill with a small force were
picketing the plank road in the direction of
Fredericksburg, in the rear of the main army.
Hampton surprised and, with his overwhelm-
ing numbers, early drove in the First Pennsyl-
vania and the First Massachusetts in reserve,
forcing them off the plank road and down a
side road. It thus happened that this little
party of men were then cut off as the advance
troops were driven in. But Lieutenant Merrill,
who was in command, put on a bold front in
his dangerous position, and rode straight into
a column of Hampton's men, who as far as
could be seen, blocked up the road. Fortu-
nately, the road was narrow and flanked by
thick woods. At the head of his men. Lieu-
tenant Merrill dashed in on the Confederates,
who were surprised at his boldness, and from
their higher position could easily count his
whole force and see that he was unsupported
by troops behind. He himself had a hand to
hand fight with pistol and sabre. Those who
saw it remembered his attempts to run a rebel
trooper through with his sword, but was pre-
vented by the latter's wearing an overcoat.
Lieutenant Alerrill was shot in the knee, but
contrived to stay on his horse and succeeded
in getting under the cover of some woods and
thus with his men escaped and got back to
the main body. It was a brave and daring
deed. From wounds thus received, he was
discharged. He was offered a captain's com-
mission in the Fifth Massachusetts Cavalry in

1864, and in the First Frontier Cavalry in

1865, both of which he declined. Lieutenant
Merrill rode a mahogany bay stallion, called
"Old Tom.'' In a skirmish with Captain
Crowninshield's mount, "Old Man," an in-
veterate kicker, the charger's skull was frac-
tured. Lieutenant !\lerrill had a black body
servant from South Carolina that furnished
much musical entertainment for the troops.

After the close of the war, Mr. Merrill
settled in the city of New York and again be-
gan the manufacture of springs. Having be-
come a thorough workman and being indus-
trious and shrewd in management, he steadily
built up a successful business, which is still
carried on by his sons. He was first located
on West street, and after the business outgrew
his quarters, he removed to Twenty-fifth
street. In 1874 he bought land on West
Twenty-eighth street, near the river, and built



a factory expressly for his business. This has
■ been subsequently enlarged until it covers six
city lots, and a branch establishment of sim-
ilar size was also (Constructed in Jersey City.
The business is now incorporated under the
name of the E. R. Merrill Spring Company,
and is still under the general supervision of its
founder, though the conduct of the business
is carried on by his sons. Mr. Merrill is an
Episcopalian in religion and was long a mem-
ber of St. Peter's Church in New York, being
now a pew holder in Trinity Church at New
Rochelle, where he has resided since 1905. In
youth he was an ardent Democrat, but since
the organization of the Republican party has
been among its most faithful supporters. He
is a member of James G. Rice Post, No. 29,
■G. A. R., of New York, in which he was
many years chairman of the board of adminis-
tration, and is also a member of the New York
Commandery, ^Military Order of the Loyal
Legion. He has long affiliated with St. John's
Lodge, Xo. I, A. F. and A. iL, of New York.
He married, January 17, 1859, in New York,
Rubina Anna, daughter of James John and
Frances (Hedgman) Denham. She was born
in September, 1833, '■'' Xevvark,- New Jersey,
and died February 15, 1888, at her home in
New York. James John Denham was born
June 13, 1799, in London, England, and died
at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 27,
1852. His wife, Frances Hedgman, was born
February 2, 1803, in London, and survived her
husband more than thirty-pne years, dying
December 15, 1883, in New York City. Mr.
and Mrs. ^lerrill were the parents of seven
children, the first of whom. Edward William,
died in infancy. The others are : Rubina
Frances, William Converse, John Denham,
Benjamin, James Richard and ]\Iary Lydia.
The sons are all connected with the E. R.
Merrill Spring Company, and the daughters
reside with their father in New Rochelle. All
received good educations in the city schools of
Xew York and Packard's Business School.

(For preceding generations .see Nathaniel Merrin I.)

(V) Thomas, second son of
MERRILL Deacon John and Lydia

(Haynes) Merrill, was born in
Haverhill, where he was baptized in 1729, and
died in 1789. He removed with his father to
Concord, New Hampshire, where he married
(first) Phebe Abbot, by whom he had chil-
dren : Thomas, William and Enoch. Fie re-
moved to Hopkinton, and had Amos and
Phebe. In 1755 he moved back to Concord,
where his wife soon afterward died. In 1756

he was a lieutenant in the French war. He
married (second) Widow Mehitable (Harri-
man) Johnson, who bore him Stephen and
Mehitable. He removed from Concord to
Chester, thence to Pembroke, and thence to
Conway. He married (third) Widow Abigail
(Goodhue) Ambrose, by whom he had Jona-
than Ambrose. His fourth wife was Widow
Elizabeth (Abbot) Cummings, by whom he
had John, Benjamin, Thomas.

(M) John (2), eldest child of Thomas
and Elizabeth (Abbot Cummings) Merrill,
was a prominent physician, and resided in
Portsmouth. He married Mary Southgate
Boyd. Children: Isabella, Charles Benjamin,
John and Mary.

ty(\'II) Colonel Charles Benjamin, eldest
son of Dr. John and Mary Southgate (Boyd)
Merrill, was born in Portland, April 14, 1827,
and died in Portland, April 5, 1891. He was
fitted in the Portland schools for Bowdoin,
from which college he graduated in the class
of 1847. Among his classmates were : Ex-
Mayor Marshall, of Belfast : Rev. Dr. John
Cotton Smith, of New York ; Ilenry Donald
Whitcomb, and General J. S. Whiting, of the
Confederate service. After graduating he
studied law in the office of Howard & Shep-
lev, of Portland, and in the Dane Law School
of Harvard, where he received the degree of
LL.B. in 1849. He was admitted to the bar
and pursued the practice of his profession un-
til 1862. He had for a long time been inter-
ested in military matters, and had served as
major on the staff of General S. J. Anderson
in the old militia days. When he felt that his
country called for his services to maintain its
integrity he enlisted in the army, and Julv 16,
1862, was commissioned lieutenant-colonel of
the Seventeenth Maine \'olunteers, and was
mustered into service with his regiment at
Camp King, August 18, 1862. He was with
this organization at the first battle of Fred-
ericksburg, the Cedars, Chancellorsville, Get-
tysburg, Wapping Heights, Auburn, Locust
Grove, Mine Run, North Anna, Anderson
House, first and second Deep Bottom, Peebles'
Farm, and in the Spottsylvania campaign, for
the most of the time in command of the regi-
ment. For his soldierly bearing and gallant
conduct in these actions he received the special
commendation of Major-Generals Berry, Bir-
ney, Egan and Wood. Colonel Merrill re-
signed and was honorably discharged October
12, 1864. After leaving the anny and return-
ing to Portland he resumed practice of law,
but losing his law library in the great fire of
1866, he abandoned the profession and en-

1 864


gaged ill the manufacturing business as one
of the corporators of the VVestbrook Britan-
nia Company. He was also later connected
with the Berlin Mills Lumber Company. His
health failed and he retired from active busi-
ness about 1880. About the time of his re-
tirement. Colonel Merrill was appointed one
of the board of managers of the Soldiers'
Orphan Asylum at Bath. He served as presi-
dent of the board for several years, and gave
his best abilities to the performance of the
duties of the position as a sacred trust. He
was a member of the i\lilitary Order of the
Loyal Legion, and was twice elected to the
office of commander, his last term expiring
about 1890. He was a member of Bosworth
Post, G. A. R., for several years, and was
also a member of Atlantic Lodge, F. and A.
^L In politics he was a Democrat. He repre-
sented Ward Five in the common council 1853-
54, and for sixteen years was a member of the
school committee. He was a strong church-
man, and for over twenty-five years was one
of the wardens of St. Luke's Cathedral. He
was a man of excellent business qualities, a
capital executive officer, and a genial, agree-
able gentleman. He married, in Portland,
September 24, 1856, Abba Isabella Little, who
was born November 27, 1834, died October,
1891, daughter of Tosiah S. and Abba (Cham-
berlain) Little. (See Little VII.) They had
eight children.

(Vni) John F. A. Merrill, son of Colonel
Charles B. and Abba I. (Little) Merrill, was
born in Portland, February 10, 1866. He re-
ceived his early education in the common
schools, from which he went to Yale College,
where he graduated in 1889. He afterward
studied law in the office of Judge William L.
Putnam and in Harvard Law School, and was
admitted to the bar in April, 1892. He soon
afterward opened an office on Exchange
street, and has since successfully practiced his
profession. In politics he is a Democrat, and
has always taken an active part in state and
local politics. He served as a member of
the common council of Portland for one year,
on the city board of aldermen two years,
member of the school committee one term, in
^896 was elected to the state senate of Maine,
and at the present time (1909) is a member
of the police examining board of the city of
Portland. He has been a junior warden of
St. Luke's Cathedral, being an Episcopalian in
religious preference. He is a member of the
New York City Hall Building Committee, and
holds membership in the Portland Yacht Club,
having served as its commodore in 1897, the

Portland Athletic Club. Portland Country-
Club and the Cumberland Club.

Major Mferrill was born in
MERRILL Lewiston, Maine, in about
1800. Although in this case
the distant forms of history are somewhat
shadowy and indistinct, we are bound to con-
clude that when Nathan N. Merrill, who went
from his Bowdoin home to the untamed wilds
of the Androscoggin valley, where the city of
Lewiston now stands, he did not go unac-
companied. It is probable that one of his
elder brothers went along. Men with tender
families to protect did not plunge into the
heart of the wilderness with its open and hid-
den terrors unless assured of support. Major
was perhaps a nephew of Nathan, a son of an
elder brother, and a grandson of Jacob pre-
ceding. Such education as the common school
then afforded Major obtained, and became a
farmer. He married a Miss Stevens, and had
the following children : Stephen S., Samuel
P., Major B., George. Seba S., William True,
Sarah, Martha. Ida and Carrie.

Stephen S., first son of Major and

(Stevens) Merrill, was born in Auburn and
there educated. He learned the shoemaker's
trade, which he followed for more than forty
years, one-half of the time as foreman of the
Dingley, Strout Company. He served in the
civil war as a member of Company D of the
Maine Coast Guards. He is a member of
Burnside Post. Grand Army of the Republic,
of Tranquil Lodge, Ancient Free and Ac-
cepted Masons. In political principles he was
a Democrat, and served as councilman in his

Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 43 of 128)