George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 44 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 44 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


native city. He married Deborah S., daughter
of Jacob and Rebecca (Campbell) Royal.
Their children were : Fred W., Clarence A.,
Charles E., mentioned below, and Jacob Brad-
bury.

Charles Edwin, third son of Stephen S. and
Deborah S. (Royal) Merrill, was born in Au-
burn, September 29, 1865, and became a pupil
in the local school at the usual age. He
learned the shoemaker's trade, but his health
compelled him to seek other employment, and
he entered a carriage factory as a journey-
man. After three years of this, he secured
an appointment as mail carrier at the Auburn
postoffice, and although this is a political po-
sition he continued in the service despite party
changes for twenty years, which evinces that
he is a capable official. In March, 1905, he
purchased the interest of the late A. M. Roak,
in Roak & Plummer's undertaking establish-
ment. He is a member of Blue Lodge, An-



STATE UF ^r.MXE.



1865



cient Free and Accepted Masons, of the Roval
Arch Chapter, of the Council, and the Knights
Templar, in all of which degrees he has held
office. He has presided over all the bodies of
the York, also present presiding officer of
Auburn Council. Princes of Jerusalem, also
member of Kora Temple. A. A. O. N. M. S.,
of Lewiston. He is a member of the Sons of
\"eterans, and state commander of the Maine
division, a member of the Patrons of Hus-
bandry, and of the Pilgrim Fathers. In igo6
he was urgently solicited to run for mayor on
his party's ticket, but declined the honor. He
married, September 28, 1899, Addie, daughter
of Josiah and Rowena (Pratt) Duran. One
daughter, \'erna L., born August 12, 1S91.



The subject of this sketch is
^MERRILL undoubtedly a member of the
numerous Merrill family of
New England, which descended from the im-
migrant, Nathaniel IMerrill.

Henry Foster, son of Samuel Noyes and
(Foster) Merrill, was born in Port-
land, February 13, 1865. He was educated in
the schools of Portland, and at eleven years of
age took a position as clerk in the employ of
Hall S. Davis, where he remained two years,
and then learned the trade of bookbinder in
the same establishment, at which he was em-
ployed the following six years, remaining with
Mr. Davis eight years. In 1886 he became
bookkeeper for Randall & IMcAllister, coal
merchants, and proved himself an efficient em-
ploye : he was advanced from one position of
responsibility to another until the incorpora-
tion of the company in 1893, when he was
made treasurer of the concern, and since that
time has contributed much to the success of
the business. He is a zealous Republican, and
a member of the Congregational church. He
is a member of no fraternal societies or clubs,
is domestic in his habits, and spends his leisure
time principally with his family. He is an
enthusiast regarding motor vehicles, and finds
his principal out-of-door diversion in operat-
ing them. He married, in Portland, June 16,
1886, Alabel A., daughter of John F. and
Elvira S. (Sargent) Randall (see Randall
sketch). They have one child, Ruth Eliza-
beth, born January 2. 1894.



The original seat of this
CONVERSE family was in Navarre,

France, from which place
removed to England Roger de Coigniers, near
the close of the reign of William the Con-
queror. He was appointed constable of Dur-



ham by the bishop of Durham, .\mong his
descendants Conyers of Horden, Durham, was
created a baronet, July i, 1548. Sir Hum-
phrey of the eighth generation wrote the name
Coigners, and Sir Christopher of the twen-
tieth generation adopted the form Cornyers.
Those bearing the name in Navarre were
Huguenots or French Protestants, and in the
Massacre of St. Bartholomew's day in 1372
many of his family fell victims. At this time
Pierre Coigniers, who was attached to the
court of Henry the IV, of France, made his
escape with his wife and two infants and set-
tled in the county of Essex, England. In
England the spelling of the name was quite
naturally changed to correspond with its pro-
nunciation of Conyers. Some of the descend-
ants now spell it Convers and it took this form
for some generations after coming to America.

(I) The immigrant ancestor was Deacon
Edward Convers, who came to New England
in the fleet of Governor Winthrop in 1630, and
settled in Charlestown, Massachusetts. In
163 1 a grant was made to him of the first
ferry between Charlestown and Boston, and
of this he retained control for several years
under the favor of the general court. In the
same year he was admitted a freeman, and
was selectman from 1635 to 1640. His name
is first on the list of seven commissioners ap-
pointed bv the church in Charlestown to ar-
range for a settlement at Woburn. With
others he removed to the new town and ably
assisted in its settlement and organization,
and after its incorporation he became one of
its most useful and honored citizens. He was
selectman of the town from 1644 until his
death, and was one of the commissioners for
the trial of minor causes. He w'as also one
of the founders of the Woburn church and a
deacon for many years. His residence was
in what is now^ a part of Winchester, and
there he died August 10, 1663, aged seventy-
three years. He was accompanied on his
journey to America by his wife Sarah and
several children. She died January 14, 1662,
and he was married (second) September fol-
lowing, to Joanna, widow of Ralph Sprague.
He had three sons and a daughter : Josiah,
James, Samuel and Mary.

(II) Sergeant Samuel, youngest son of
Deacon Edward and Sarah Convers, bap-
tized March T2, 1657, in the First Con-
gregational Church of Charlestown, died
February 20. i66g. at Woburn. He was
admitted as a freeman, and was ser-
geant in the Woburn Train Band. He
was a miller by trade, having inherited, with



1 866



STATE OF MAINE.



his brother, a com mill from their father, and
it was in this mill that he met his untimely
death, which is described in the minutes and
records of East Cambridge, as follows: '"We,
Isaac Brooks and James Thompson, being
about the 21 of February . .69, in the Corne
mill belonging to the Converses, at Wood-
burne, on of" a suddaine we heard a voice
about the mill wheel saying, stop the wheel,
upon wh. the said Thompson did run to the
mill gate & looking towards the mill wheel
he saw as he thought a man laid down and
cried out my unkle is killed. Isaac in the
mean time did run to the water wheel and
found Samuel Convers with his head fastened
between the water wheel and the water wall."

"The said Thompson in the mean time did
shut the gate and came running to the sd
Brooks. Now the water wheel being turned
backwards did raise him upwards and wee
.■seeing his head cleared went unto him and
did take him up alive who bled excessively.
We did carry him into his house and soon af-
ter we brought him in bleding stopped & in
about half an hours time as we conceive he
was quite departed."

He was married June 8, 1660, to Judith
Carter, who survived him, and afterward mar-
ried Giles Fifield, and died in 1677. Her
father, Rev. Thomas Carter, was a minister
in Woburn, where he preached forty-two
years, and died September 5, 1684. aged sev-
enty-four vears. He embarked from London.
England, in 1635, on board the " Planter," and
took the freeman's oath in Dedham. Massa-
chusetts. March 9, 1636, and moved to Water-
town, where he had a ten-acre lot and also
ninety acres of farm land aside from his home-
stead. He became a minister at Woburn in
1642. He was described as a "reverend, godly
man, apt to teach the .sound soul and whole-
some truths of Christ." The children of Sam-
uel and Judith Convers were: Samuel and
Abigail.

(Ill) Samuel (2), only son of Samuel (i)
and Judith (Carter) Convers, was born about
1662. in Woburn, was left fatherless at the
age of seven years, and was but sixteen years
of age at the time of his mother's death. After
her second marriage she resided in Charles-
town, where he lived until her death. In 17 10
he, with his family, removed to Thompson
parish, Killingly. Connecticut, where he settled
on a farm, he being the first settler at Thomp-
son. His farm was located where, later, the
village of Putnam was laid out, and was sixty
miles due west from Boston. They found their
way to this (then) wilderness by means of



blazed trees. In 1716 he sold and purchased
other lands where his sons settled and where
they were active in building the Thompson
meeting house, his name heading the list of
members at date of organization in 1730. He
was married, prior to 1694, to Dorcas (whose
maiden name is unknown), and their children
were: Samuel, Edward, Thomas, Dorcas,
Pain and Josiah.

(I\') Edward, second son of Samuel (2)
and Dorcas Convers, born in Woburn, Sep-
tember 25, 1696, died at Thompson. Connecti-
cut, July 9. 1784. At the age of fourteen he
accompanied his parents to Thompson, and
received from his father a farm of fifty acres
near the old homestead, where he built the
house occupied by himself and sons, the well
known "Convers Tavern." He was a man of
remarkable energy and was very prominent in
public ali'airs, including church work. He
was also active in military affairs, serving as
ensign for many years. He repaired bridges,
surveyed lands, collected and distributed
school money and settled with destrained Bap-
tists, on "easy terms as he could." He was
chosen constable in 1732. His tavern was well
]iatronized. and "Landlord Convers" school
district heads the list of those laid out in 1762.
He was married August 6, 1717, to Elizabeth,
daughter of John and Elizabeth Cooper. She
died February 19, 1776. in her seventy-sixth
year. Their children were : James, Edward,
Jonathan. Jacob. Asa, Jesse, Elizabeth (died
young), Zacharias, Elizabeth and Susanna.

(Y) Captain Edward (2), second son of
Ensign Edward (i) and Elizabeth (Cooper)
Convers. baptized November 8. 1720. at Kill-
ingly, Connecticut, died December. 1800. at
Windsor, Massachusetts. He was a farmer
and occupied a farm on the river, which he
received from his father-in-law. He was ap-
pointed captain of Company 7. Eleventh Regi-
ment of militia, united with the church in
1 741. and was a very active member of that
society. He was married to Marv Davis,
whose father had bought a large farm on
French river in 1715. Their children w'ere :
Samuel Davis. Edward (died young), Ed-
ward. Amasa, Mary and Abigail.

(\T) Samuel Davis, eldest son of Captain
Edward (2) and Mary (Davis) Convers. born
February I, 1741. baptized February 17, 1742,
died in South Worthington. Massachusetts.
He lived in Chesterfield. Xew Hampshire, un-
til 1782. when be removed to Dummerston,
\'ermont. and he later removed from that
place to South W'orthington. where he died at
his son Elisha's home. He was one of thir-



STATE OF .MAINE.



1867



teen inhabitants of Chesterfield, reported as
refusing to sign the famous "Association
Test." He was a private in the Chesterfield
coinpany, under Lieutenant Robertson, who
marched to Ticonderoga. June 29, 1777. He
was married to Ehzabetli Harris, and they
were the parents of the following children ;
W'illard, Elizabeth, Walter, John, Elisha and
Polly.

(VH) Dr. John, third son of Samuel Davis
and Elizabeth (Harris) Converse, was born
March 5. 1772, Chesterfield. He settled in
Durham, Maine, before 1797, and lived in a
house on the north side of "Eunice's Brook."
and afterward built a house on the bank of
the river. The History of Durham savs of
him :

"Dr. Converse still lives in tradition as
a good citizen and skilful physician." He
died December 5. 1815. aged forty-three years,
and is bur'ed in the old cemetery near the
North fleeting House, and the epitaph on his
tombstone reads thus : "Thousands of jour-
nies night and day Eve traveled, weary all the
way, To heal the sick, but now Em gone A
journey never to return." He was married
March 17, 1799. to Sally, daughter of Ichabod
and Abigail (Hayes) Hanson, of Windham,
who was born October 4. 1774. Their chil-
dren were : Orilla, Veranus, Sally. JMary,
Minerva, John Harris, Elizabeth, Harriet and
Laura W.

(X'HI) Mary, fourth child of Dr. John and
Sally (Han.son) Converse, born November 19,
180-I, was married October 5, 1827, to Edward
Merrill, of New Bedford, Massachusetts (see
Merrill, VH).

(VHI) Minerva, fifth child of Dr. John and
Sally (Hanson) Converse, was born Februarv
27, 1807, in Durham, and became the wife of
\\'illiam R. Kendall, of Freeport, ]\laine (see
Kendall, VU).

(\'ni) John Harris, youngest son of Dr.
John and Sally (Hanson) Converse, born De-
cember 27, 1808, at Durham, died June 13,
1880, at Newcastle, and was buried in Glidden
street cemetery. He was probate judge of
Lincoln county from 1862 to 1876. and had
the respect and esteem of all with whom he
associated. He was married June 7, 1836, to
Mary Ann, daughter of John Horn and Lydia
(Watson) Connor, born in Belfast, Maine,
June 21, 1812. died January 22, 1892, at Christ
Church Home, Philadelphia, Pennsvlvania.
Their children were: William Hubbard, died
in Newton, Kansas ; Edward Merrill ; Frank
Horn, died Maiden, Massachusetts, and was
buried in Eorestdale cemetery, that citv.



This is an English family

CUSHING whose members have borne
well their part in the develop-
ment of this country, where the name has
been prominent since the landing of the
American ancestor. Like most proper names,
this was most variously spelled before the six-
teenth century, as shown by wills, deeds and
other legal documents, still extant in Norfolk,
England, where it may be found written in
the following forms : Cushyng, Cushyn.
Cushin, Cosyn, Cussheyn and other variations.
Before the fourteenth century it was usually
spelled Cusyn or Cosseyn ; the final g does not
appear until fifteen hundred, when the name
was spelled Cushyng. It is presumed that the
name is derived from usage in connection with
the land title of Cossey. a part of which
landed estate was possessed by the Cushings
for several generations. The first work o£
much importance in tracing the history of this
family was undertaken by Caleb Cushing, who
traced it to England in the vicinity of Nor-
folk, and there it was taken up by a profes-
sional geneologist of London. From the an-
cient manuscripts in the British IMuseum and
other available sources, the fact is established
that the name was a leading one in Norfolk
county during the fifteenth and sixteenth cen-
turies, including lords of numerous manors.
Seven generations of English ancestry have
been authentically established.

(I) William Cussyn, born in the fourteenth
century, was a son or probably a grandson of
Galfirdus Cusyn, of Norfolk county, named in
the records in 1327.

(H) Thomas Cushing (Cussheyn), was
born at Hardingham, England, in the latter
part of the reign of Richard H. (1737-99). A
deed executed in 1366 contains his name and
the name of his son \A''illiam.

(HI) William, eldest son and heir of
Thomas Cushing, was born early in the fif-
teenth century at Hardingham, and lived at
Hardingham, England. In his will, dated
September. 1492. he was styled gentleman.
His wife Emma bore him eight children.

(IV) John, eldest son of William and
Emma Cushing, was born on the old home-
stead which his father had lived on. He also
owned large interests at Lombard street in
London. His will mentions six children.

(V) Thomas (2), second son of John Cush-
ing, inherited the homestead from his father,
with all the lands pertaining thereto. He
died at Hardingham. England, in April, 1658.
The names of his children were : John, Knap-
ton, Ursula, Nicholas, Stephen and Peter.



1 868



STATE OF MAINE.



(VI) Peter, son of Thomas (2) Cusliing,
was born at Hardinghani, and was buried
there April 26, 1641. He was probably one
of the first Ciishings to embrace the Protes-
tant faith. He married Susan Hawes, and
their children were : Theopolis, Bridget, Mat-
thew, William, Barbara, Peter, of London,
Catharine, and Thomas, of London. The eld-
est came to New England in 1633 in company
with Governor Hayiics, and the Puritan di-
vines. Cotton and Hooker.

(\TI) Matliew, second son of Peter and
Susan ( Hawes ) Ciisliing, was baptized March
2, 1589, in Hardington, England. For the
first fifty years of his life he resided in his
native place, and in Hardingham, Norfolk-
county, England, whence he came in 1638, ac-
companied by his wife and five children, and
his wife's sister. Widow Frances Riecroft,
who died a few weeks after their arrival in
America. They embarked at Gravesend in the
ship "Diligent," of Ipswich, April 26, 1638,
being among the one hundred and thirty-three
passengers of that voyage. The immediate
cause of their departure from England was
trouble in ecclesiastical matters. Their rector,
in sympathy with the immigrants mentioned,
pulled down the rails of the chancery and al-
tar, and levelled the altar a foot lower than
the church, as it remains to this day. Being
prosecuted by the ecclesiastical authorities, he
left the kingdom, accompanied by his friends,
who disposed of their estates at about one-half
their true value. The party landed at Boston,
Massachusetts, August 10, 1638, and immedi-
ately proceeded to the settlement of the town,
which was named Ilingham, in honor of the
home of the Cushings in England. At a town
meeting in 1638, a house lot of five acres, be-
low Pear Tree hill, at Bachelor (now Main)
street, was granted to Mathew (Tushing, and
this property remained in the possession of the
family until 1887. Mathew Gushing early be-
came prominent in the management of public
affairs, and was a deacon in Rev. Hobart's
church. He was the progenitor of many em-
inent descendants. His will was an oral one,
but was later written after his death, by his
children, who procured the appointment of his
eldest son as administrator, November 15,
1660. In the record of this will in Hingham
the name is spelled Cushin. Mathew Gushing
w^as married August 5, 1613. to Nasaretli,
daughter of Henry Pitcher, the famous Ad-
miral Pitcher of England. She was baptized
October 30, 1586, and died in Hingham, Janu-
ary 6, 1682, in her ninety-sixth year, having
survived her husband more than twentv-one



years. He passed awav September 30, 1660.
Their children, all born in Hardingham, Eng-
land, were : Daniel, Jeremiah, Mathew, De-
borah and John.

(VIII) John (2), youngest son of Mathew
and Nasareth (Pitcher) Gushing, was born in
1627 in Hardingham, England, and was about
eleven years of age when he came with his
parents to this country. He remained in
Hingham, Massachusetts, until after the death
of his father, and removed in 1662 to Scituate,
Massachusetts, settling on a piece of ground
at "Belle House Neck," which he had pur-
chased in 1659. The land consisted of one
hundred and twenty acres, with house and
barn, and he was joined in its purchase by
Mathias Briggs, the purchase price being one
pound per acre. The locality receives its
name from the fact that a bell was hung on
this house for a period of a century, to give
alarm to the neighboring country in case of
an Indian attack. In 1663 John Gushing was
survevor of highways in Scituate, and in 1667
receiver of excises. He was deputy in 1674
and often re-elected. In 1663 he was on a
committee for dividing lands, and in 1676 was
chosen to report to the governor all services
of the soldiers of Scituate in the war with
King Phillip. He was a selectman from 1674
to 1686 inclusive, and a magistrate of Plym-
outh county from 1685 to 1692. He was
assi-^taiit to the old colonial governor of Ply-
mouth from 1689 to 1691, and a representa-
tive to the general court in Boston in 1692,
and several years thereafter. He was a mem-
ber of the colonial council in 1706-07, and a
colonel of the Plymouth regiment of militia.
He was married in Hingham, July 20, 1658,
to Sarah, daughter of Mathew and Margaret
Hawke. She died in Scituate. March 9, 1679,
and was survived by her husband more than
twenty-nine years, until March 31, 1708. Their
first child was born in Hingham, and the
others in Scituate. They were : John, Thom-
as, Mathew, Jeremiah, James, Josiah, Sarah,
Caleb, Deborah. Mary, Joseph and Benjamin.

(IX) Rev. Caleb, seventh son of John (2)
and Margaret (Hawke) Gushing, was born
Tanuarv 16, 1673, in Scituate, was baptized
Mav II, following, and died January 25, 1752.
He graduated from Harvard College in 1692,
went to Salisbury in March, 1696. and was
ordained a minister of the First Church there
in 1698. He was one of the numerous sign-
ers of the document unfavorable to the itiner-
arv Whitfield, and endorsing the proceedings
of the Harvard College in 1744. in reference
to his career. His pastorate for the Salisbury



STATE OF MAINE.



1869



church covered a period of fifty-six years.
The minister who had charge of his funeral
exclaimed: "We know not the man in the
county of Essex who has moulded a superior
and deeper influence on the minds of his
people than this favorable divine." He was
a man of most exemplarv conversation, a pru-
dent and truly wise councillor. He was mar-
ried March 14, 1698. to Elizabeth, daughter
of Rev. John Cotton, and widow of Rev.
James Ailing, his predecessor as minister at
Salisbury. His children were : Caleb, James,
John and Elizabeth.

(X) Rev. John (3), youngest son of Rev.
Caleb and Elizabeth (Cotton) Cushing, born
April ID, 1709, in Salisbury, died January 25,
1772. He graduated from Harvard College in
1729, and was ordained minister December
29, 1736, and became the first minister of the
Second Church of Boxford, Massachusetts.
He was married April 8, 1734, to Elizabeth,
daughter of John and Sarah (White) Martin,
of Boston, who was born May 16, 1714, and
died October 18, 1789, in Durham, Maine.
One child blessed this union, namely : John.

(XI) John (4), only child of Rev. John
(3) and Elizabeth (Martin) Cushing, born
May I, 1 741, in Boxford, died December 26,
1812, aged seventy-two years, in Freeport,
Maine. He was buried in the old churchyard,
and the inscription on the tombstone reads,
"To the memory of the Hon. John Cushing,
Esq., who died December 26, 1812, aged yz,
Help Lord for the godly man ceaseth, for the
faithful fail from among the children of men."
He graduated from Harvard College in 1761,
receiving the degree of A. M. four years
later. He responded to the Lexington alarm
on April 19, 1775, being captain of a com-
pany in Colonel 'Samuel Johnson's regiment,
and was again in the service in 1776. He
built a house, and settled in Salisbury, Massa-
chusetts, whence he removed to Boxford at
the death of his father. In 1780 he removed
to North Yarmouth, Maine, thence to Rovals-
burgh, and finally settled in Freeport, Maine.
He served in many official capacities with
satisfaction to his constituency, filling the of-
fices of selectman, town treasurer, justice of
the peace, judge and a member of the coun-
cil for many years, and was a representative
to the general court of Massachusetts. He
was elected deacon of the church in Freeport,
April 24, 1793, and faithfully performed the
duties in that ofifice for twenty years. He was
state senator from the Cumberland district,
and an active member of the board of over-
seers of Bowdoin College. He was married



December i, 1763, to Dorothy, daughter of
Colonel Bagley, of Amesbury. She was born
February 13, 1745, and died in 1815. Their
children were: Elizabeth, Dorothy, John, Jon-
athan, Edward and Sarah (who died young,
and on the same day).

(XII) Dorothy, second child of Hon. John
(4) and Dorothy (Bagley) Cushing, was
born May 2, 1769, in Salisbury, Massachu-
setts, and died December 28, 1863, at Litch-
field, Maine. She was married February 2,
1785, to Roger Merrill. (See Merrill, VI.)

This surname is derived, ac-
CARLETON cording to some authorities,

from the place name in
England. Carleton is from the Saxon word
coerl (husbandman) and town. The English
family traces the pedigree to Baldwin de Carle-
ton, of Carleton, near Penrith, Cumberland,
in 1066. The coat-of-arms is : Argent a bend
sable, three mascles of the field. "The crest:
out of a ducal coronet or, a unicorn's head
sable, the horn twisted of the first and second.
Motto : Non ad perniciem. The following is
the pedigree :

(I) Baldwin de Carleton, of Carleton, near
Penrith.

(II) Jeffrey de Carleton.

(III) Eduard de Carleton.

(IV) Henry de Carleton.

(V) Gilbert de Carleton, married

Fitzwilliam.

(VI) William de Carleton, justice's coun-
cillor of King Edward's son and lieutenant,



Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 44 of 128)