George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 47 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 47 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and Deborah Dunton, born December 26,
1730, at Natick, a descendant of John and
Priscilla (Mullins) Alden. David Alden was
son of John Alden, of the "Mayflower," and
married Mary Southworth ; their son Henry
had a daughter Deborah, who married Thomas
Dunton. Asa and Sarah (Dunton) Travis
had nine children who reached maturity, and
two who died young ; they are here given,
though the order of their birth is not known :
I. Asa, born in 1754, married Mary Smith. 2.
Elijah, born in 1758, married Lydia Peirce.
3. Oliver. 4. Mehitable, married Thomas
Gooding, whose family later spelled the name
"Goodwin." 5. Luther, married Nancy Shear-
er. 6. Aaron, born in 1769, married Betsey
Patten. 7. William, born December 31, 1777,
married Lydia Sargent. 8. Abigail, married
Stephen Brown. 9. Joel, married Rebecca
Allen. ID. A child who died June 25, 1768,
aged thirteen months. 11. Anna, died Sep-
tember 15, 1775. at the age of two years.

(VI) Oliver, son of Asa and Sarah (Dun-
ton) Travis, was born in 1762, at Waltham,
Massachusetts, and died May 8, 1838, at
Brownfield, Maine. He was accorded a pen-
sion for one year's active service in the revo-
lutionary war. He appears on the Massachu-
setts revolutionary rolls as private in Captain
foshua Leland's company, enlisted October 12,



i88o



STATE OF MAINE.



1779, discharged November 10. 1779: this
company, under Major Nathaniel Heath, were
detached by order of General Hancock for the
protection of Boston. He also appears as
private in Thomas Brintnall's company, Col-
onel Cyprian Howe's regiment, for service at
Rhode Island, enlisted .August 31, 1780, dis-
charged November i, 1780: he again appears
as private in Captain Daniel Bowker's com-
pany. Colonel Webb's regiment, enlisted Sep-
tember 23, 1781, discharged December 4, 1781,
raised for the purpose of reinforcing the con-
tinental army. His name appears on the tax
lists of Deering, New Hampshire, first in
1794, again in 1795-96-97-98, 1800 and 1801,
and not thereafter. December 11, 1783, he
married Milly (Pamelia) Goodwin (on rec-
ords as Gooding), born at Cambridge. Mas-
sachu.«etts, and died at Brownfield. Maine, in
1842, and they had children as follows : Sam-
uel. Annie, Maurice, Martha. Daniel. Maria,
and a child who was burned in a house in
W'altham, Massachusetts.

(VII) Samuel, eldest son of Oliver and
Pamelia (or Milly) (Goodwin) Traverse, was
born September 27, 1784, at Waltham, Massa-
chusetts, and died July 19. 1840. at Denmark,
Maine. He was at Portland, Maine, and en-
listed in the war of 1812. He married Judith
Trumbull, born April 25, 1777, at Concord,
New Hampshire, died at Denmark, Maine,
April 10, 1862, a descendant of John Trum-
bull (See Trumble), from Newcastle-on-the-
Tyne. England, of Roxbury in 1639. Samuel
and Judith (Trumbull) Traverse (as this
branch of the family spelled the name) had
two daughters. Pamelia Goodwin, who mar-
ried William F. Davis (see Davis VII), and
Sarah E.



John Clark, the earliest named
CLARK ancestor, was one of the colony

who founded Hartford, and his
name is engraved with the other members on
the monument in the cemetery in Hartford,
known as the "Ancient Burying Ground." The
descendants of John Clark believe that he was
identical with John, of Cambridge. Massachu-
setts, as w-as also John, of Hartford, and this
is set down as an ascertained fact bv the Rev.
William S. Porter, a genealogist of great in-
dustry and local research. (The Clarks of
Saybrook, Connecticut, claim that John of
Cambridge, of Hartford and of Saybrook,
were identical, and quote the authority of Ilin-
man. No contemporary record has been
found to contain or disprove either theorv.)
The following account of John Clark and his



progeny is taken from "A Record of the De-
scendants of John Clark of Farmington, Con-
necticut," compiled by Julius Gay, at the re-
quest of Dennis Woodruff Clark Esq.. of Port-
land. Maine, a descendant in the sixth genera-
tion, and published in 1882.

(I) John Clerke, as the name is spelled,
took the freeman's oath at the general court
of Massachusetts Bay Colony, November 6,
1632. He was one of the forty-two men to
whom land was assigned at Newton, now
Cambridge, March 29. 1632. Who these
forty-two men were in part appears in a state-
ment by Winthrop : "The Braintree Company
by order of court removed to Newton. These
were Mr. Hooker's company." In ' Page's
History of Cambridge it is stated that John
CJarke "owned the lot on the easterly corner
of Brattle and Mason streets in 1635, which
he sold to Edward Winship, and removed to
Hartford. Under date of March i, 1636, is
the record of an agreement between the town
of Newtown and John Clark by the terms of
which he undertakes to make a weir and catch
alewives in the Menotomies river and sell "all
the alewives he should take" at three shillings
six pence per thousand. &c. This is the last
record found of him in Newtown.

John Clark was a soldier in the Pequot fight,
and must have been in Hartford as early as
1637. On May I, 1637. the general court at
Hartford "ordered that there shall be an of-
fensive w'ar against the Pequoitt." After the
return of the soldiers from their successful
campaign, a tract of land containing from
sixty to eighty acres, long known as Soldiers' ■
Field, was divided among them. John Clark
w'as an owner of land in this tract, and there-
fore presumably one of the soldiers in the
Pequot fight. On March 9, 1641. the town
ordered Matthew Marvin to maintain a fence
* * * "to the corner of John Clark's lot lying
in the Soldiers field." At a general meeting
of the town held January 14, 1639, it was
voted: "Whereas there is some difiference in
allotments, some having more than is accord-
ing to their due proportion, it is therefore
ordered that Mr. Hopkins, Mr. Wells, Mr.
Warner, John Pratt. Timothy Stanlev, John
Clark, Joseph Mygatt * * * shall examine the
same and shall have power to appoint every
mans portion according as in their judgment
shall be just and equal." In February, 1639,
John Clark had a fee simple title to a parcel
of land on w-hich his dwelling stood in the
W'est Field, containing by estimation four
acres, more or less, and eleven other pieces.
The house and lot mentioned were sold by



1



STATE OF MAINE.



1881



John Clark to Zachary Field, a? appears in
the description of lands of the latter recorded
January, 1650. Other references to John
Clark appear on the town records of Hartford,
as follows : September, 1639 : "It is ordered
that Goodman Scott, Goodman Clark and
Goodman Ely shall reserve the common"
* "■' * "and if Thomas Scott, John Clark and
Goodman Ely fail of measuring within the
time set, they shall forfeit five shillings." Gen-
eral meeting, February 18, 1640 — John Clark
with eleven others on a committee to divide
"the land on the east side of the Great River."
January 12, 1642 — "There was chosen survey-
ors for the year, John Clark and John Wil-
cox." John Clark probably removed from
Hartford prior to 1655, as his name does not
appear in the list of taxpayers in the "mill
rates" for the years 1655-66-67, which are
preserved. His name is, however, found in
the lists of "The proprietors of the undivided
lands in Hartford with such of their propor-
tions in one division as followeth according to
which proportions they paid for the purchase
of the said lands." in the years 1663-66-71-72.
These divisions of the "undivided lands" were,
however, made to non-residents, and even to
the heirs of deceased proprietors. In the di-
visions of 1674 and 1682 his name ceases to
appear. A John Clark, whether the same or
not there is no way of determining, was a
juror at Hartford, September, 1641, and Oc-
tober, 1642; also a deputy, May, 1649. -^
John Clark had ten children baptized in the
First Church of Hartford in 1704-24. John
Clark, the ancestor of the family whose gene-
alogy is hereafter recorded, was an early set-
tler of Farmington, Connecticut; how early
does not appear. He had been a resident long
enough to have acquired numerous pieces of
land when the town registrar made a formal
record of them in January, 1657. The names
of John Clark and his wife were included in
a list of the members of the church in Farm-
ington, made March i, 1680. When they
joined is not stated. Fie was made a freeman
in May, 1664; on December 27, 1682, he was
chosen to be a chimney viewer by the town ;
on December 28, 1685, and again on Decem-
ber 8, i6qo, he was chosen surveyor of high-
ways. What offices, if any, he held prior to
those dates cannot be known, since the for-
mal record of town meetings begins with that
of December 27, 1682. His residence with
"yeardes and orchardes" was situate on a par-
cel of land on High street, containing by esti-
mation ten acres. John Clark was the owner
of numerous pieces of land, by grant of the



town, and by the divisions of the "Reserved
land" among the eighty-four proprietors. His
possessions were scattered here and there
northward to "a place cittuate within the
bounds of fifarmington att a place commonly
called and known by the name of Brownson's
Nodd, and Lyng northward of said ffarming-
ton on the west side of the great River which
runneth throw ffarmington Meadows, and is
nigh unto Simsbery bounds" ; to the south as
far as the Great Plain ; and eastward and
westward to the farthest boundaries of the
town. This account of the place where he
lived and the lands he owned is about all that
can be learned concerning the ancestor of the
numerous race. Of his wife or wives not
even the names are known. An old family
record, taken down long since from the lips
of an aged member of the family, states that
John Clark came from Scotland, and that his
wife was an English lady. The only other
mention found of her is in the record of the
First Church in Farmington, wherein the Rev.
Samuel Hooker enrolls John Clark and his
wife as members, on March i, 1680. John
Clark made his will November 21, 1712, and
died the next day, and the town clerk made the
entry : "John Clark of ffarmington ye aged
departed his Natural Life twenty second of
November In ye year of or Lord 1712." His
children were : John, Matthew, Elizabeth, Re-
becca, Mary, Sarah, Martha, Abigail, Hannah,
Rachel and Mercy.

(II) Matthew, second son and child of
John Clark, was born before 1674. He died
"September 24, 1751, and- left an estate which
was inventoried at £3,966 15s 6d, including
three hundred and ten acres of land. His will
was executed September 11, 1751. He mar-
ried, about 1704, Ruth, daughter of John and
iVIary (Howkins) Judd. Their children were:
Ruth (died young), Matthew (died young),
Marv. John, Ruth, and Matthew.

(HI) John (2), fourth child and second
son of Matthew and Ruth (Judd) Clark, was
born September i, 1712. He lived on the
Stanley Quarter road leading from Farming-
ton to New Britain. His residence was with-
in the territorial limits of Great Swamp (Ken-
sington) parish, but he attended public wor-
ship at the old church in Farmington. He
married, September 2, 1742, Elizabeth Newell,
who was born January 29, 1720. and died
February 2, 1791, aged seventy, daughter of
Captain 'John and Elizabeth (Hawley) New-
ell. After the death of her husband, June 16,
1782, Elizabeth attended the New Britain
Church, and being partially deaf was allowed



■I 88:



STATE OF MAINE.



to ^laiid in i::c- pii.iKt. Their children were:
Mercy. Mary, Mervin, Dan. Abel. Ruth, John,
Huklah, Elizabeth and Jane.

(IV) Mervin, eldest son and third child of
John and Elizabeth (Newell) Clark, was born
November 26, 1746, and died August 17, 1825.
His christian name is spelled Mervin when
written by himself, but by his townsmen was
universally spelled Marvin. He was one of
the seventy signers to an agreement made
September 3. 1774. "to be in readiness and
duly equipped with arms and ammunition to
proceed to Boston for the relief of our dis-
tressed and besieged brethren there." He was
actively engaged in the revolution, but in what
capacity is not clearly known. He is said
to have been at Danbury, Connecticut, when
that place was burned b\' Tryon in April, 1777,
and was at one time in the camp at Horse
Plains. Uniting with the church in Farming-
ton in 1 771, he maintained throughout his
whole life a most exemplary Christian char-
acter. Upright and conscientious in his busi-
ness relations, with a scrupulousness rarely
seen, he lived to a good old age, beloved by all
about him. transmitting to his posterity the
memory of numberless kind and loving acts
which is to them a most precious inheritance.
In extreme old age he was under the illusion
that every day was Sunday, and so, spending
all his time in the devotional exercise most
dear to him, his life passed gently away. He
married, January 18. 1773, Sarah Woodruff,
who was born June 3, 1748, and died January
5, 1813, daughter of Abraham and Sarah
(North) Woodruff.- Their children were:
Jemima, Oman, Al)raham, .'^arah and Huldah.

(V) .Abraham, second son and third child
of Mervin and Sarah (Woodrufif) Clark, was
born in Farmington, Connecticut, September
5, 1780, and died in Chicago. Illinois, Febru-
ary 21, 1855, aged seventy-five. His child-
hood and youth were spent in his birthplace,
and here he received the education usual at
that time — that of common school. After his
marriage he moved into the house with his
father, where he remained many years. Dur-
ing the great revival which occurred in con-
nection with the labors of Dr. Nettleton, he
joined the church of which Dr. Noah Porter
was pastor. His consistent Christian life
through many vicissitudes attests the sincerity
of his profession. After his father's death he
bought of the other heirs their interest in the
house and farm, being ambitious to keep the
old homestead undivided. He was active and
energetic, and struggled on, even after it be-
came evident that, with his growing family.



he could not hold the place. In the fall of
1830 he gave up and removed to New Haven,
intending to remain there while his eldest son
w-ent through Yale College, and in order to
give his younger children better opportunities
for education, while residing here he learned
that a few families were about to unite for
removal to the (then) far west (Illinois), and
decided to join the party and seek a new
home. In this plan of removal Dr. Leonard
Bacon, with whose church he was connected,
manifested great interest, and when the fam-
ilies, five in number, comprising twenty-three
persons, gathered at the house of Mr. Clark
one day in the fall of 1831, Dr. Bacon came
to bid them good-bye. When the company
were all ready to start he proposed prayer,
and standing on the door steps surrounded by
the several families and their friends assem-
bled to take leave of them, he offered prayer,
committing them to the care of an ever-pres-
ent God, and with God's blessing sent them
on their way. The other families with which
Mr. Clark journeyed were those of Deacon
Chittenden, Mr. Bradley, Mrs. Wilson and
two sons, and a young couple nained Plants
The party reached Pittsburg on a dark and
rainy evening after several weeks of toilsome
journeying over the Alleghenies. Here the
families having carriages took passage on
board a steamer bound down the Ohio and
up the Mississippi rivers, while Deacon Chit-
tenden, with a farm wagon, took the horses,
and, with his eldest son and Mr. Plant, started
to make their way across the new states of
Ohio. Indiana and Illinois, to Alton, the place
of destination. In the spring the families
abandoned their plan of settling near each
other, Mr. Plant and wife returning to the
east, and Mr. Clark removing to Jacksonville,
where he assisted in organizing the First Con-
gregational church, his name standing second
on the roll. He performed a similar service
in two other places where he afterward lived.
Buying a farm at Diamond Grove, near Jack-
sonville, he began farming with all the en-
thusiasm of his younger days, but after a few
years gave it up and became steward of Il-
linois College, then under the presidency of
Edward Bcecher. From Jacksonville he re-
moved to Rushville, in the same state. Re-
maining here but a short time, he followed his
eldest son, then a practicing physician, to
Iowa, and afterward to Wisconsin, where his
second son was engaged in mercantile busi-
ness. His next removal was to Chicago with
Dr. Holbrook. a son-in-law, his two sons re-
moving to California. In the summer of 1854



STATE OF MAIXE.



1883



he revisited his early home, spending several
weeks, and seemed to renew his 3'outh, walk-
ings long distances as he visited one and an-
other of liis old friends, but it was as the last
brightening of the llame before it expires. He
returned to Chicago, and for a short time en-
joyed anew his summer's pleasures in recount-
ing them to his family. Soon, however, he
began to show signs of exhausted vitality.
During the early weeks of winter he sat by
the fire, sleeping most of the time, his strength
gradually failing, until, with no appearances of
disease, he quietly passed away. Mr. Clark's
life was eminently a religious one. Of a cheer-
ful temperament, he had a store of proverbial
and quaint sayings by which he was wont to
express a sense of thankfulness for blessings
received. His principles were those of the
good old Puritan sort. He dared to reverence
the Sabbath when few regarded it. He began
to be a consistent advocate of temperance
while the use of alcoholic drinks was almost
universal, and through a long and useful life
was a bright example of all that is true and
loving and of good report. He married, Feb-
ruary 13, 1809, Milicent Washburn, who was
born July 23, 1784, in Middletown, Connecti-
cut, and died in San Francisco, California,
March 9, 1863, in the seventy-ninth year of
her age. She was the daughter of Joseph and
Ruth (Wetmore) Washburn. The children
of this union were: Joseph Washburn (died
young), Joseph Washburn, Mary (died
young), Mary Wetmore, Dennis Woodruff,
Jane Eliza, Anne Louisa (twins), Lucy Ellen
and Elnathan Gridley. Lucy Ellen is the only
one living at the present time (1908), and now
resides at Niles, California.

(VI ) Dennis Woodruff, fifth child and third
son of Abraham and Milicent (Washburn)
Clark, was born in Farmington, Connecticut,
May 27, 1819, died at his home on State
street, Portland, Alaine, April 18, 1904. He
obtained a common school education in his
native town, and in 1831, when about twelve
years of age, he accompanied his father and
the remainder of the family to Illinois, hav-
ing previously served as a clerk in the book
store of Jeremy L. Cross, in New Haven,
Connecticut. His first employment after lo-
cating in the west was as clerk for merchants
in Naples and Jacksonville, Illinois, and St.
Louis, Missouri. He left the latter-named
city in 1839, and made his first venture in
business at Rockingham, Iowa, and the fol-
lowing year went to Platteville, ^\^sconsin,
where he engaged in mining and mercantile
pursuits until 1852, when he formed a part-



nership with his brother, Dr. Joseph W. Clark,
and brother-in-law, Elias Gill, under the firm
name of Gill, Clark & Company, for trading
in Sacramento, California, and the following
two years he spent in that city and San Fran-
cisco. Returning to the east in 1854, he lo-
cated in Portland, Maihe, and engaged in the
ice business, continuing in the same for half
a century. He conducted the business, which
was known as the D. W. Clark Ice Company,
alone until 1873, when he admitted Ashbel
Chaplin as a partner. They continued for the
following nine years, under the name of D.
W. Clark & Company, but in 1882 the firm
became incorporated under a capital of $300,-
000, under the name of the Clark & Chaplin
Ice Company. The company controlled large
ice houses on the Kennebec river, and con-
ducted a large wholesale business, shipping
one year one hundred and fifty thousand tons.
In 1893 they sold the wholesale business to
the American Ice Company of New York,
and formed the D. W. Clark Ice Com-
pany, of which Mr. Clark was president.
Mr. Clark was also connected with other
business enterprises. He was treasurer of
the Leeds & Farmington Railroad Com-
pany from December, i86g, until it was
sold to the Maine Central railroad ; for seven
years was a director of the Portland & Og-
densburg railroad, 1872-79, while the road
was being constructed through the mountains
and until it was completed and the cars
were running through Crawford Notch. In
1873 he was chosen a director, and later
in Ihe year president of the Portland \\^ater
Company, was president of the Standish
Water and Construction Company, and in
1885 was appointed president of the Biddeford
and Saco Water Company. At the time of his
death he was serving as president of the three
last named corporations, and also of the D.
W. Clark Ice Company. He was for many
years a prominent member of the State Street
Congregational Church of Portland, having
been instrumental in the building of the same.
In politics he was successively a Whig, Free-
soiler and Republican, but never accepted or
aspired to public office. He was a man of
much energy and business capacity, active,
clear-sighted and successful, and during his
residence of fifty years in the city of Portland
won the esteem of the community and en-
deared himself in the hearts of his fellowmen.
Warm-hearted and generous, he gave freely to
deserving charitable enterprises, and dying, left
many friends who mourn his loss. Desiring
to know more of his ancestrv, and to erect a



1 884



STATE OF MAINE.



memorial to his worthy forbear?, he caused
a genealogy of the family to be compiled,
which was published in 1882, and from which
the present account of the family is drawn.

Mr. Clark married, August 22. 1850, Mary
Caroline Hubbs, born in Portland, Maine,
April I, 1819, daughter of Captain .Mexander
and Mary (Lowell) Hubbs. She died August
19. 1898. Their children were: i. Mary
Millicent, died 1854. 2. Alexander Hubbs,
died 1853. 3. Emma Washburn, born IMarch
26, 1855, married, December 29, 1881, George
Washington Percy, of San Francisco, Cal-
ifornia, born in Bath. Maine, July 3, 1847;
they have four children : Isabella, Arthur,
Carmen and Ernest. 4. Isabella Tyler, born
November 26, 1857, married Charles C. Har-
mon, of the firm of Loring. Short & Harmon,
of Portland. 5. Mervin Washburn, the sub-
ject of the following paragraph.

(VII) Mervin \\'ashburn, voungest child
of Dennis W. and Mary C. (Hubbs) Clark,
was born in Portland. Maine. July 27. 1861.
He attended the Portland public schools, and
later continued his studies in private schools
in Portland and elsewhere. At an early age
he showed a great liking for business, and ac-
cepted a position with Twitchell, Champlin &
Company, wholesale dry goods merchants. In
1881. after a short term of service with the
aforementioned company, he engaged in the
ice business with his father, and from that
time to the present (1908) he has given the
most energetic efforts to the business, which
is exceedingly prosperous. In 1904, after the
death of his father, he was elected to the
presidency of the company, and has since filled
that position with credit and ability. In 1896
in addition to his interest in the ice business,
he purchased a slate company in Portland,
which he developed and incorporated under the
name of the Monson Burmah Slate Company,
and of which he w-as made treasurer and gen-
era! manager. They had extensive slate quar-
ries at Monson, Maine, and a large manufac-
turing plant at Portland, the product of the
quarries being shipped to the plant where it
was manufactured into such goods as laundry
tubs, kitchen sinks, and other sanitary articles.
]\Ir. Clark built up a large business in the use
of slate for electric purposes, such as switch
boards and other articles, and it increased in
volume and importance until 1904, when it
was sold to a large Massachusetts slate con-
cern. He is a director in the Mercantile Trust
Company, and was also connected with other
business enterprises in Portland and elsewhere.
His attention is devoted whollv to business.



and he finds no time to attend to politics,
though he is an unswerving Republican and
votes at every election. In religion he is a
Congregationalist. He is a member of the
Portland Athletic Club, the Portland Country
Club, Lincoln Club, Economic Club, Portland
Board of Trade, and Merchants' Exchange.



Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 47 of 128)