George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 52 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 52 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

4. Elizabeth, April 12. 1734. 5. Stephen, men-
tioned below. 6. Abigail. July 22, 1739, mar-
ried (first) Daniel Philbrick, (second) Wil-
liam Davidson.

(IV) Stephen (2), second son of Stephen
(i) and Charity (Long) Marden, was born
September 27, 1736, in Rye, New Hampshire,
and settled in the town of Chester of that
state, living on lot No. 14 in the second divi-
sion of lands in that town. He was a soldier
in the French and Indian war in 1757, and
was one of a company to garrison Fort Wil-
liam Henry, on the shore of Lake George.
The fort was garrisoned by about three thou-
sand men under command of Colonel Mon-
roe. They were attacked by a force of 9,000
men, consisting of 7,000 French and 2,000 In-
dians, under Montcalm; after a terrific strug-
gle lasting six days, the Americans were com-
pelled, on August g, to surrender to the
French. It was ordered by Montcalm that
they be allowed to go free, but in attempting
to do so they were set upon by the Indians
and robbed of their effects and many of them
killed. Of the force from New Hampshire,
eighty were killed or missing.

Stephen Marden was a petitioner for the

incorporation of the town of Raymond and
subsequently removed to New Hampton, New
Hampshire, where his death was caused by a
falling tree in Newington, June 19, 1781. He
was buried at Centre Harbor, at the head of
Lake Winnepesaukee, town of Chester, New
Hampshire. He married, August 28, 1760,
Elizabeth Webster, who survived him and was
taxed in Chester as late as 1785. All of the
children, however, removed from that town.
The youngest was born after the death of his
father, and tlie widow had her troubles in sup-
porting the children. They were: I.Abigail,
born November 6, 1760, died January 22, 1798.
2. Martha. January 9, 1764, died August 26,
1830. 3. Josiah, born December 31, 1765, died
May 23, 1857. 4. Stephen, died an infant. 5.
Elizabeth, born April 11, 1769, died Novem-
ber 19, 1850. 6. Stephen, subject of the next
paragraph. 7. Charity, born September 14,
1773, died September 25, 1797. 8. Dolly, born
February 23, 1776, died March 11, 1858. 9.
John, born February 18. 1779, died 1861. 10.
Benjamin, born September 29, 1781.

(V) Deacon Stephen (3), second son of
Stephen (2) and Elizabeth (Webster) Mar-
den, was born September 23, 1771, in Chester,
and removed to Palermo. Maine, in 1788.
Two of his brothers, John and Benjamin set-
lied there — John in 1792, Benjamin in 1800 —
and had adjoining farms on what is now called
]\Iarflcn Hill. Deacon Stephen Marden was
a prosperous farmer, and had the distinction
of owning the first wagon ever in the town of
Palermo. He was respected for his ability
and integrity, and was one of the town war-
dens in 1804. The following account of the
early settlement of that town was written by
John Marden :

"My mother was left a widow in poor cir-
cumstances, with the care of eight children,
and one added to that number (after her hus-
band's death by accident) on the twenty-ninth
of September following. It being in the time
of the revolutionary war, she had many hard-
ships to encounter, having but little but her
hands and good economy to support her fam-
ily, yet she bore her trouble with a good de-
gree of christian patience. In the year of 1783
a treaty of peace was signed between the
I'nited States and Great Britain which gave
her some relief. In the year 1790 my eldest
brother Josiah moved her and the younger
part of the family to the town of Canterbury,
New Hampshire, where she spent the re-
mainder of her life in comfortable circum-
stances. Her death occurred November 3,
1830, aged about ninety-one years.



"January, 1793, I came into the district of
Maine, at the age of fourteen years, in the
county of Lincohi (now Waldo), and took up
my residence at a place called the Great Pond
settlement, at the extremity of Sheepscob
Pond. I had many hardships to encounter,
being the only youth in the place. The nearest
mill was twelve miles, through a lonely wood,
with but little better than a foot path and
spotted trees. Yet with pleasing prospects I
looked forward to the time when this good
land would be settled ; when school houses and
mills would be built and roads made, and this
wilderness would become a fruitful field. I
took great pleasure in visiting my friends in
New liampshire once in every three years,
although I had to travel the distance of two
hundred and twenty miles on the frozen
ground in the month of November or Decem-

"I worked with my brother, Stephen Mar-
den, until I was twenty-two years of age, when
I bought the farm on which I now live (1855)
with the barn then built and a log house
thereon. April 23, 1801, I was united in mar-
riage with Mary Bagley, of Liberty, Maine,
and moved onto the farm that spring, with a
pleasing prospect of enjoying happiness. For
three or four years we were favored with good
health and our crops came in bountifully, and
all things bespoke of prosperity.

"January 22, 1805, I was severely wounded
by the falling of a tree. Then my sufferings
were very great. Yet my mind was happy in
the Lord, and I could truly say, 'Though he
slay me, yet will I trust in Him.' On the
third day of February I had my left leg ampu-
tated above the knee, which was very expen-
sive at that time, so that my future prospects
of happiness in this world began to decay. In
April following we chose our town officers for
the first time. I took a part with them in col-
lecting taxes and serving precepts, etc. This
year with the past will long be remembered
as a season of great religious excitement in
this town and vicinity. A Baptist church was
organized that season, and many were added
thereto. Where I reside is about twenty
miles northeasterly of Augusta, then called
Port Weston. The inhabitants east and north
of my residence were but few at that time.
Several small settlements were made in the
woods and generally called after the name of
the first settler or by the old Indian name of
ponds and streams. The land was very good
for crops of corn and rye. Each settler made
his choice for a farm. No taxes were called
for at that time. There were no framed build-

ings east or north of my residence for the
space of twelve or fifteen miles, and three or
four miles to the south and west until the next
April, 1793, when two barn frames were put
up, to the great joy of the settlers, but more
so to the owners." He describes the growth
and development of the town and state, giving
a good picture of the pioneer days. "These
settlers were all laboring men, engaged in
their several occupations, such as clearing
land, raising crops, putting up buildings, and
fences in the summer and fall. In the winter
and spring all engaged in lumbering, hunting
and sugar-making, which was much of it done
in the forest at that time. These settlers were
all very poor, but as 'happy as clams' and as
friendly to each other as monkeys." Of his
fellow pioneers he writes (1855) : "The few
that are left are worn down with age and in-
firmities too numerous for me to name: some
with the loss of sight and hearing ; some with
the loss of their limbs ; some with palsied
hands; and others with general debilities, etc.
And but very few, if any, are able to take care
of themselves, but have mostly given them-
selves up to the care of their children or
grandchildren or the town to provide for

Stephen (3) Marden married Abigail
Black, of Newmarket, New Hampshire.
Chihlrcn: I. Stephen, born October 9, 1793.
2. Polly, November 19. 1795, married John
S])iller. 3. Betsey, May 14, 1797. 4. Benja-
min, subject of the next paragraph. 5. Char-
ity, October 6, 1800. 6. Alvah, August 14,
1802. 7. Alley, September 8, 1804. wife of
Lliram Worthing. 8. Infant, June 27, 1806.
9. Area, October 3, 1807. 10. Roxanna, Jan-
uary 10, 1809. II. Racene (died young). 12.
Albra, April 10, 1812.

(\T) Benjamin, second son of Stephen (3)
and Abigail ( Black) Marden, was born Octo-
ber 26, 1798, and died r866, in Palermo. He
resided on a farm on Marden Hill, which he
purchased of John Spiller. In addition to
farming. Benjamin Marden also carried on
blacksmithing, anil was also a practical wheel-
wright, a man of more than usual intelligence
and looked up to by his neighbors, who bore
for him the highest respect. He took an acn
tive interest in all the affairs of his town, and
was instrumental in forming its first library,
known as the Palermo and China Social Li-
brar_\'. Here his first three children were born
and in 1826 he went to live with his Uncle
Benjamin Marden. whose heir he became, and
was known as Benjamin (2). He married
Hannah Carr, their intentions being published



June 5, 1819. Children: i. Stephen P., sub-
ject of the next paragraph. 2. Frances Cas-
sandra, Xovcmber 18, 1821. married Samuel
Gurdy. 3. Louise R., horn April 7, 1823;
married Nathaniel Lincoln. 4. Abigail Jane,
born February 26. 1827; married Harrington
Osgood. 3. Sumner Melville, born August 29,
1830; married Albie Ricker. 6. Benjamin F.,
born March 22, 1833: married Octavia San-
ford. 7. Lucia O., July 18, 1835; married
Peter Sinnott. 8. William P., born November
24, 1838; died 1868. 9. Allston R., born Au-
gust 22, 1843. fli^fi December 24, 1862; was a
member of the First I\Iaine cavalry; was taken
prisoner and served for a time in Belle Isle

(VH) Stephen P., eldest child of Benja-
min and Hannah (Carr) Marden, was born
March 3, 1820, in Palermo. He was a far-
mer, and in his early years conducted a brick
yard ; later ran a saw mill, and made rakes
and lumber. He was one of the substantial
and representative men of the time. Like his
father, he attended the Universalis! church, in
which he took an active interest. In his home
town he filled various local offices, and served
as representative of his district in the Maine
legislature. He married, September 23, 1849,
Julia A. Avery, of Whitcfield, Maine, a de-
scendant of an old Essex family. She was
born December 13, 1824. Children: i. Wil-
lie E., born July 4, 1850, died March 20, 187 1.
2. Oscar Avery, mentioned below. 3. Frank
Webster, born May 25, 1855, an extensive
wholesale dealer in oils, with offices in Bos-
ton, New York, Chicago, Louisville and San
Francisco, resides in Somerville, Massachu-

(VHI) Judge Oscar Avery, second son of
Stephen P. and Julia A. (Avery) Marden,
was born August 20, 1853, in Palermo. He
was reared upon the homestead farm, being
accustomed to perform such duties as fall to
the lot of farmers' sons. The district schools,
with an occasional term in the high school and
Wcstbrook Seminary, supplied his education
up to the age of seventeen years. At the early
age of fifteen he commenced to teach school
during winter terms. In 1871-72 he had
charge of the English department of the
Dirigo Business College at Augusta, Maine,
and in the spring of 1872, in his nineteenth
year, went to Boston. There he was employed
as book-keeper in the New England office of
the Victor Sewing Machine Company of Mid-
dletown, Connecticut, and this connection con-
tinued until the fall of 1874, when he became
a student in the law office of Samuel K. Ham-

ilton, of Boston. Simultaneously he com-
menced a course of study in the law school of
Boston University. In June, 1876, he received
the degree of LL.B., and was admitted to the
bar in the succeeding autumn. Ever since that
time he has been engaged in legal practice in
Boston during the greater part of the time,
having his offices in the Rogers Building. He
is now located in the Sears Building, and also
maintains an office at his home in Stoughton,
Massachusetts, where he held a position as
trial justice from 1877 to 1891. In the last
named year the district court of Southern Nor-
folk was established, and Mr. Marden was ap-
pointed as judge of this court, which position
he still continues to hold with eminent satis-
faction to the bar and the public. The district
includes Canton, Sharon and Avon, besides
Stoughton, a populous section. Though a
Democrat in political principles. Judge Mar-
den is not an active partisan, and enjoys the
esteem and confidence of his fellow towns-
men regardless of their political views. He
was a member of the Stoughton school com-
mittee from 1886 to 1889, and again from
1892 to 1894, and has been president of the
Stoughton Grenadier Association since 1880.
For many years he has been a leading mem-
ber of the Norfolk Bar Association, and wa=
its secretary from 1886 to 1891. lie is a mem-
ber of the Pine Tree State Club, composed of
natives of Maine resident in and about Boston.
Possessing broad views of human destiny and
activities he was naturally early allied with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in
which he has gained distinction, having served
as grand patriarch of the Grand Encampment
of Massachusetts in 1893, and president of
the Encampment Deputies Association in 1894.
Since 1877, his home has been in Stoughton.
He is a member of Rising Star Lodge, A. F.
and A. M. of Stoughton, of which he is past
master, and past district deputy grand master
for the 22nd District of Massachusetts; Mt.
Zion Royal Arch Chapter, of Stoughton ; of
Stoughton Council, Royal and Select Masters.
He attends the Universalist church of Stough-

Judge Marden married (first), October 19,
1882. at Stoughton, May Theresa, daughter
of Francis M. and Rosetta Ball. She died
April 4. i8go, and Judge Marden married
(second), January i, 1S96. Caroline A. Avery,
of Whitefield, Maine. • The children of the
first marriage were: Edgar Avery and Os-
car Herbert. The latter died before reaching
the age of four years. The former was born
July 29, 1884, graduated at Dartmouth Col-



lege, and is now a student at the Harvard
Law School.

William Harper, father of
HARPER Hon. John Harper, of Lewis-
ton, Elaine, was born in Liver-
pool, England, in 1812, and when he attained
his majority left his home and settled in
the province of New Brunswick, making his
home in St. Andrews, in which port he fol-
lowed the occupation of seaman, and he
worked his way until he commanded a large
ship trading with Australia, in which coun-
trv he accumulated a considerable estate. He
married, in St. Andrews, Lovina, daughter of
Levi and ]\Iary (Eastman) Handy. Children:
William, born in St. Andrews, New Bruns-
wick, was lost at sea ; Isabella ; John, see for-
ward ; Mary ; Nathan, died in 1907, William
Harper (father) died in Australia about 1862.
His estate in Australia did not come into the
possession of his children, and they were en-
tirely dependent on the small property they
possessed in St. Andrews.

Tohn, second son of ^^'illiam and Lovina
(Handy) Harper, was born in St. Andrews,
New Brunswick, ]\Iay 23, 1844. His mother
died when he was five years of age, and his
father shortly afterward went to Australia,
where he died as aforementioned, and John,
from the time of his father's departure until
the breaking out of the civil war, resided with
an aunt at Calais, Maine. September 4, 1861,
when seventeen years of age, he enlisted in
Company A, Ninth jMaine Regiment, and
served until the close of the war. He was
with his regiment in every engagement in
which it took part, and when mustered out of
service had attained the rank of sergeant.
After the close of the war he moved to Lew-
iston, I^Iaine, and engaged in the manufac-
ture of short lumber. He carried on this busi-
ness until 1880, when he engaged in the coal
and wood business with Mr. M. J. Googin, of
Lewiston, under the firm name of Harper &
Googin, with office on Bates street and coal
and ^vood yards on Bates and Whipple streets.
Mr. Harper is a staunch Republican in poli-
tics. He was a member of the Maine house of
representatives from Lewiston in 1887-89, and
state senator from Androscoggin, county in
1891-93, and his popularity with the voters of
his city is shown by the fact that he has run
ahead of his ticket every time he has been a
candidate for elective office. As representa-
tive and senator he made an enviable record.
He made no pretensions to eloquence or skill
in debate, but his tact and shrewdness in ap-

proaching and handling men, his inexhaust-
ible fertility in expedients, his capacity for or-
ganization and combination, made him a re-
markably effective worker in legislative con-
tests. Few men could win more votes for
any measure than he. In 1887 IMr. Harper
was chairman of the pensions committee and
served on the military and labor committees.
He was instrumental in securing the passage
of chapter 102 of the laws of that year, re-
pealing the provision that a deceased soldier
or a sailor must have died "from wounds or
injury sustained in the service while in the
line of duty" to enable his widow or orphan
children or dependent parent or sister to a
state pension. In 1889 he introduced a bill
giving a state pension to the dependent chil-
dren of a deceased soldier, and providing for
the payment by the state of the burial ex-
penses of ex-soldiers and sailors of the re-
bellion who died in destitute circumstances,
and forbidding the selectmen of any town
from removing to the poor house any old sol-
dier who might become a public charge. That
all the measures became laws was largely due
to his untiring efforts in their behalf, and the
same may be said of the large pension appro-
priations made by the legislature for the years
1887 to 1893 inclusive. Mr. Harper took a
prominent part in the fight over the "Ten
Hour Bill" in 1887. Mr. W. H. Laoney, of
Portland, the author of the measure, acknow-
ledged his obligation to Mr. Harper for his
valuable and etfective support in an open let-
ter to the Lcidston Journal, and his constitu-
ents have to thank him also for his persistent
and successful work in favor of the appropria-
tion of 1891 for the Central Maine General
Hospital of Lewiston, which enabled that in-
stitution to enter at once upon its benificent
work, and the appropriations of 1893 in favor
of the same hospital, the Sisters of Charity and
the Orphans' Home. In 1889 Mr. Harper
was appointed inspector general upon the staff
of Governor Burleigh, with the rank of briga-
dier general. This position he held with
credit to himself and the service until 1893,
when his successor was appointed by Governor
Cleaves. In August, 1893. he was one of the
five members of the governor's staff selected
to receive President Harrison upon his visit
to Maine. In Grand Army circles and in the
Ninth Maine Regiment Association, of which
he has been president. General Harper is
prominent and popular, while in private life
his well-known integrity, his disposition to
stand bv those who have helped him, his cor-
dial manner, his kindly temper and unosten-



tatious charity have won him a host of friends.
He is a member of Rabonni Lodge, Ancient
Free and .Vccepted Masons, and Lewiston
Commandcry, Knights Templar.

General Harper married, November 22,
1869, Estelle, daughter of Robert and Grace
(PhilbrooU) Knowles. Their first born child,
Frederick L., died in infancy, and their sec-
ond child, Grace M., born October i, 1874,
died in 1890, aged si.xteen years.

The family bearing this
PLIMPTON name is among the most an-
cient in England and has
been distinguished in America for its fine
mental qualities, its longevity and great physi-
cal endurance. It furnished one martyr and
several soldiers in the Indian wars, and was
numerously represented in the revolutionary
army. The name is found as applied to a
monastery established by the West Saxon
kings, and is often found in the early records
of England as spelled Plumpton. In 1086 the
village of Plimpton existed in the parish of
Spofforth, in the West Riding of Yorkshire.
The first of the line continuously followed
were two brothers, Gilbert and Nigel, who
were born on the Manor of Plumpton ; in 1 184
the first of these was a grown man. The line
is traced through the second, who had a son
Peter, born of his first wife ISIaria. Peter's
lands were seized by the king for some dis-
pleasure, but were restored to his son. The
line runs down through twenty generations in
England, including numerous baronets,
knights, esquires, and others who distin-
guished themselves in various ways. The line
which has been traced by American genealo-
gi.sts ends with the twentieth generation in
John Plimpton Esq., born 1693, who had no
issue. It has been impossible to connect the
family in America w'ith the Englisli family
traced, but there can be no question that it is
descended from that stock.

(I) John Plimpton, immigrant ancestor,
was born about 1620, probably in Lincoln or
Cambridge county, England, and in his time
his branch of the family was very zealously
attached to the Roman Catholic church, but
he became a Puritan, and on account of this
fact left his native land and came to America.
He settled at Roxbury, Massachusetts, where
he came as the servant of Dr. George Al-
cocke. Probably this ruse was adopted to
enable him to get out of England, as the re-
strictions at that time were very severe, and
all regular immigrants were compelled to
make oath of conformity to the church of Eng-

land. He was a man of good education, and
probably did not remain long in service. The
will of Dr. Alcocke, made January 22, 1641,
provides that his servant, John Plympton,
should receive his liberty after midsummer
upon payment of five pounds. It is apparent
from this that he was possessed of some
means, and as he was a man of education he
soon took an active position in the settlement.
He was received into the church of Dedham,
January 20, 1643, and was made a freeman
May 10 following. In the same year he be-
came a member of the Ancient and Honorable
Artillery, a military organization wliich has
been preserved to the present day. October
10, 1649, 'is ^^''s among those assembled to
plan for the settlement of a new town, then
called Bogastow (now Medfield). The peti-
tion for this town was granted by the general
court on the 22d of the same month. John
Plimpton removed thither in 1652, and built a
log house which was the shelter of himself
and family for a time. His grant of si.x and
a half acres was soon increased to thirteen,
and ultimately he was the possessor of two
hundred acres in that town. At the end of
the year 1652 his estate was valued at forty-
six pounds ; ten years later it had more than
doubled, amounting to one hundred and two
pounds, thirteen shillings, three pence. In
1669, seven years later, it had again more
than doubled, amounting to two hundred and
thirty-eight pounds. It is evident that he was
industrious and thrifty, for it is recorded that
he received two pounds, five shillings, two
pence for sweeping out the meeting house in
1661-62. In 1669 he received ten shillings
for two hundred feet of boards used about
the school house. He is listed among those
from Medfield who contributed to Harvard
College, his portion being "2 bushells of En-
dian corne." He was recognized by his fel-
lows as a man of ability, and was frequently
in the service of the town on various com-
mittees and in official capacity. He was among
those who were attracted by the beautiful
meadows at Pocomtuck (now Deerfield), ]\Ias-
sacluisetts, and despite his age removed
thither. The records in that town, December
4, 1672, show that John Plimpton was allowed
to buy land there, "provided said Plympton
will settle there in his own person." He re-
moved in the following spring and set up his
residence near the present Boston & Maine
railroad station, on lot No. 24. Very soon
the threatened uprising under King Philip
was foreseen, and John Plimpton was ap-
pointed sergeant of the forces at Deerfield ; he



was probably the highest officer there. His
house was made a garrison, and he was in
•charge of the troops there stationed. On the
fatal i8th of September, 1675, occurred the
terrible massacre at Deerfield, and those who
escaped were forced to abandon their homes.
With characteristic enterprise, Sergeant Plimp-
ton began the resettlement only two years
later, his house being the first one built and
the only one that year on the old site. This
was a cabin eighteen feet long. Despite the
death of his son Jonathan, whom he had
looked upon as the mainstay of his old age,
he was still determined to hold his ground
and begin life anew. On September ig, 1677,

Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 52 of 128)