George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 7 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

grave in the Eastham burial ground records
his name and the date of death, January 18,
175 — (the unit figure obliterated) was evi-
dently his son, as the name seldom occurs.
He had also a son Samuel.

(III) Samuel, son of George and Martha
(Harding) Brown, of Eastham, Barnstable
county, Massachusetts, took part in the Span-
ish war of 1745-49, and the first Indian and
French war, 1754-60. He was moderator of
town meeting, June 12, 1729, Eastham, North
Precinct. His uncle, Samuel Brown, married

Ruth and had children : Abigail, born

in Eastham, July 28, 1709; Samuel, April 27,
171 1 : Samuel (2), January 25, 1713-14; .Me-
hitable, December i, 1714; Ruth, December
25. 1716. He died May 3, 1739, aged fortv-
eight years. Samuel and his wife, whose name
is not identified in the lost list of Browns, had
children, including a son Solomon (q. v.).

(IV) Solomon, son of Samuel Brown, of
Eastham, Barnstable county, Massachusetts,
removed to Gorham, Cumberland county, dis-
trict of Maine, which township had been
granted to the soldiers who served in the King
Philip war, 1728. and was first settled in 1736,
and at that time was known as Narragansett
No. 7, afterwards Gorhamtown, in honor of
Captain John Gorham, and the town was in-
corporated in 1764. Solomon Brown was a
member of Captain Hart William's company
in the Eighteenth Continental Regiment, Colo-
nel Edward Phinney. He married and had a
son Simeon (q. v.).

(V) Simeon, son of Solomon Brown, lived
in Gorham, from which town he joined the
Continental army as a member of the Fifteenth
Massachusetts line. He married Elizabeth,
daughter of James and Alary (Bean) Emery,
of Buxton, York county, Alaine, and grand-
daughter of Captain Jonathan Bean, of Bidde-
ford, York county. They had children in-
cluding Solomon (q. v.).

(\T) Solomon (2), son of Simeon and
Elizabeth (Emery) Brown, was born in Gor-
ham, Alaine, Alarch 5, 1795, died July 19,
1875. He married (first) October 17, 1813,
Sarah Elizabeth Rumery, of Biddeford. Mar-
ried (second) 1825, Sarah P. Saleme. Mar-
ried (third) 1854, Julia Plimpton, of Wal-
pole, Massachusetts. He settled in Litchfield,
Kennebec county, Maine, w^here he was one of
the founders and first treasurer of Litchfield
Academy. Children of first marriage: i.
Elizabeth Emery, born 1817, died at Defiance,
Ohio, November ii, 1883: married (first) Ja-
bez Xickerson; (second) Thomas J. Cole; no
issue. 2. Priscilla (q. v.). Children of sec-
ond marriage : 3. Margaret, born September
15, 1827, died March i, 1869; married, in
1857, Israel Preble, of Richmond, Maine; chil-
dren : Frederick, L., Horace W'ilber

and Horace E. 4. Edward Payson, born Sep-
tember 15, 1828; married, in 1849, Margaret,
daughter of John Scott, of Terre Haute, In-
diana; died at Terre Haute, November 12,
1855, leaving one child, Ida Scott, wdio mar-
ried Harry Simmons, of Indianajjolis, Indiana ;
she left one child, Harry Simmons Jr.

(\TI) Priscilla. daughter of .Solomon and
Sarah Elizabeth (Rumery) Brown, born May
i8, 1823, was reared in Litchfield. Maine, and
married, November 25, 1843, Stanwood Alex-
ander, of Richmond, Sagadahoc county, Maine.
She died November 17, 1864, leaving one
child, De .A.lva Stanwood Alexander. ( See
Alexander.) The Stanwood line:

(1) Philip Stanwood, the immigrant, came



from England to Gloucester, Massachusetts, in
1652, and served as selectman of the town in
1667. By his wife Jane had children as fol-
lows: Philip; John, 1653; Jane, 1655; Sam-
uel (q. V.) ; Jonathan, March 29, 1661 ;
Naomi, April 29, 1664; Ruth, IMarch 10, 1667';
Hannah, September 16, 1670. Philip, the im-
migrant, died August 7, 1672, and his widow
married, September 12, 1673, John Pearce, as
his second wife, and she died x\ugust 18, 1706.

(II) Samuel, son of Philip and Jane Stan-
wood, was born in Gloucester, Massachusetts,
January 5, 1658. He married, November 16,
1686, Hannah Babson and had five children
before 1695, of which Ebenezer (q. y.) is
named as having in 1695 removed to Ames-
bury. Samuel Stanwood served in King
Philip's war, 1676-78, Queen Ann's war 1703-
13, and received a grant of land at Kettle
Cove, Cumberland county, district of Maine,
for services in the Colonial wars.

(III) Ebenezer, son of Samuel and Hannali
(Babson) Stanwood, was born in Gloucester;
removed to Brunswick, Cumberland county,
Maine, 171 7, was lieutenant in Captain John
Gile's company in Lovewell's war, 1722-25,
and selectman in 1743-45. He married and
had three sons as follows: i. David, had a son
William who was at the battles of Monmouth
and White Plains in the revolutionary war ;
he served as selectman, was representative to
legislature, and was an overseer of Bowdoin
College. 2. William (q. v.). 3- Samuel, the
first representative to the general court of
Massachusetts; to Samuel's branch belongs
Mrs. James G. Blaine and Mary Abigail Dodge
(Gail Hamilton).

(IV) William, son of Ebenezer Stanwood,
was born in 1726, in Brunswick, Cumberland
county, Maine. He served in the Spanish or
fifth Indian war, 1745-49; as a selectman 1767-
69 and 1774-81, and in 1778-79 was a mem-
ber of a committee to supply families of revo-
lutionary soldiers and to fix prices so as to
prevent a monopoly in trade. He married
Elizabeth Reed, of Topsham. Children : Will-
iam, Thomas, David, James, Samuel, Philip,
James (q. v.), Margaret and Elizabeth. Will-
iam Stanwood died July 17, 1797; his wife
died October 6,.i8i9, aged ninety-three.

(V) James, son of William and Elizabeth
(Reed) Stanwood, was born in Brunswick,
Maine, February 28, 1763. He married, Oc-
tober 29, 1786, Margaret, born November 7,
1767, daughter of Judah Chase, of Brunswick,
who settled there in 1752, served in the French
or sixth Indian war, 1754-60, and married


Children of James and

Margaret (Chase) Stanwood: David, .Mar-
garet (q. v.), James, Judah and Elizabeth.

(VI) Margaret, daughter of James and
Margaret (Chase) Stanwood, was born in
Brunswick, Maine, August 13, 1796, died De-
cember I, 1845. She married, March 20, 181 2,
Campbell Alexander, of Richmond, Sagadahoc
county, Maine (see Alexander). The Camp-
bell line is as follows :

(I) William Campbell, of Campbelltown,
Argyleshire, Scotland, a descendant and cadet
of the house of Auchinbreck and a Covenanter
who, after participating in Monmouth rebel-
lion escaped to Londonderry, Ireland, in 1685,
and afterwards engaged in the defense of that
stronghold against the siege holding the rank
of lieutenant-colonel in the forces of William
of Orange. He left two sons, James and
Samuel (q. v.).

(II) James, son of William Campbell, was
born in county Ulster, Ireland, and settled in
Londonderry, New Hampshire, in 1735, from
whence he went to Cherry Valley, New York,
1741. He married, in Ireland, Jane or Jennet
Humphrey; children: John, William (q. v.),
James and Elizabeth.

(III) William (2), son of James and Jane
or Jennet (Humphrey) Campbell, settled in
Londonderry, New Hampshire, and afterward
removed to Falmouth, Maine. He had at least
one son, William (q. v.).

(IV) Captain William (3), son of William
(2) Campbell, was born in Falmouth, Maine.
He married, 1765, Elizabeth, daughter of John
and Sarah (Jenkins) Price, and granddaughter
of Samuel Jenkins, all of whom removed from
England to St. Eustatius, one of the Dutch
West India Islands, and afterwards to the
English island of St. Kitt, where in 1747 John
Price and Sarah Jenkins were married. Sub-
sequently Sarah (Jenkins) Price and her
daughter, Elizabeth Price, removed to Fal-
mouth, Maine, where Sarah, or Madam Price,
as she was popularly known, taught the first
ladies' school established in that place. Madam
Price died August 5. 1824, having attained the
age of ninety-four years. The Price family
are buried in the Eastern Cemetery of Port-
land. Captain William and Elizabeth (Price)
Campbell had three children: Betsey (q. v.),
Aletta and Alexander.

(V) Betsey, daughter of Captain William
and Elizabeth (Price) Campbell, was born in
Falmouth, Maine, September 15, 1769, died
November 18, 1848. She married, December
23, 1786, William Alexander (see Alexander),



of Harpswell. Cumberland county, Maine.
William and Betsey (Price) Alexander are
buried in the Growstown churchyard, Bruns-
wick, Maine.

This name, also spelled Cour-
CORSOX son, first appeared in the town
of Lebanon, York county,
Maine, two years after the town was incor-
porated and the name of Lebanon substituted
for the Indian name of Towwoh, by which
the territory was granted to the settlers by the
general court of .Mas.sachusetts, June 25, 1767.
Moses and John Corson (spelled in the muster
rolls. Courson), of Lebanon, Maine, enlisted,
the former May 15, the latter May 20, 1775,
in Captain Philip Hubbard's company, Colonel
James Scrmmon's regiment, and were sta-
tioned at Bunker Mill during the historic bat-
tle at that place, June 17, 1775. John was a
private and died in the army, July zj, 1775.
Moses, who married. May 15, 1769, Eliza-
beth Perkins, left the army July 2, 1775, and
returned to his home.

(I) Aaron Corson came from Rochester,
New Hampshire, in 1769 and settled in Le-
banon, Maine. He was an original settler on
the farm which in i8g6 was occupied by the
widow of William Corson. Prominence is
given to Aaron, as he was a corporal in Cap-
tain Jedediah Goodwin's company. Colonel Ed-
ward Wigglesworth's regiment, during the
American revolution, and was discharged at
Albany, New York, November 30, 1776. The
name of his wife is not on record, but he had
children : John, see forward. Enoch, married
Betsey, daughter of Daniel and Dorothy
(Tuttle) Lord, of Lebanon. Dorcas, died un-

(II) John, son of .\aron Corson, was born
in 1773 in Lebanon, Maine, four years after
his father settled there, and he died April 18,
1885. He was married in Lebanon, Novem-
ber 13, 1794, to Tamson Hodgdon, who was
born in 1774, and died July 10, 1865.

(I) Samuel Corson, brother of Aaron,
settled in Lebanon, Maine, in 1770, and died
there in 1785. The New Hampshire Revo-
lutionary Rolls show him to have been a mem-
ber of a party "Scouting in the woods under
Captain Timothy Robards, for ten days, from
June 18, 1744," at Rochester, New Hampshire.
He was also in a scouting party at Rochester
under Samuel Miller from June 29 to July 13,
1744, and is borne as a sergeant on the muster
roll of Captain James Guppy's company of
twenty men who received allowance for serv-
ices at Rochester in 1746. Among his chil-

dren were: John Tibbits, see forward. Levi,
a lieutenant in the militia of the town of Le-

(II) John Tibbits, son of Samuel Corson,
was biorn in Lebanon, Maine, November 15,
1774, and died February 29, 1848. He was
also a lieutenant in the militia of the town
of Lebanon. He married, October 28, 1794,
Sarah Churchill, who died January 6, 1863.
Of their seventeen children eight attained ma-

(III) Eri Drew, youngest child of John
Tibbits and Sarah (Churchill) Corson, was
born September 6, 1818, and died January i,
1853. lie married, iVugust 12, 1841, Lydia
(who died in Washington, District of Colum-
bia, April 7, 1891), daughter of Ebenezer and
Margaret (Lord) Peircc. They had three
sons : George Edgar, see forward. James
Hyler, enlisted at the age of seventeen years
in the Fifth New Hampshire Volunteer In-
fantry, October 12, 1861, and died of typhoid
fever at Camp California, near Alexandria,
\'irginia, January 9, 1862. Eri Everett, died
at the age of three years.

(I\') George Edgar, eldest child of Eri
Drew and Lydia (Peirce) Corson, was born
in Lebanon, Maine, July 30, 1842. He re-
ceived his education in the public schools of
his native town and in the Lebanon Academy.
August 30, 1861, at the age of nineteen years,
he enlisted at Dover, New Hampshire, in the
Seventeenth United States Regular Infantry,
the regiment being at that time stationed and
in progress of organization at Fort Preble,
Portland Harbor, Alaine. Soon after report-
ing at the fort he was placed on extra duty
as acting quartermaster and commissary ser-
geant, and assisted in the organization of the
quartermaster and commissary departments of
his regiment, and in arming and equipping it
for service in the field. In March, 1862, he
accompanied his regiment to Washington, Dis-
trict of Columbia, where it was assigned to
duty with the Army of the Potomac, with
which it savi' active and honorable service until
the close of the war. While stationed in front
of Yorktown in April, 1862, he was appointed
by the commantling officer of his regiment the
commissary sergeant of its First Battalion,
which rank he held for the remaining two and
a half years of his enlistment. He saw service
with his regiment in all the campaigns of the
Army of the Potomac, on the Peninsula, at
Antietam, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, in New-
York in the suppression of the draft riots, at
Mine Run, and in the spring of 1864, llirough
the Wilderness to Spottsylvania. Though a

^ 4b^G2:^u^




non-combatant by virtue of his office as com-
missary sergeant, his post of duty being with
the wagon train in the rear, and being thereby
exempt from all the risks and hazards of battle,
yet having the patriotic and fighting blood of
his colonial and revolutionary ancestors in his
veins, and being desirous of seeing service with
his comrades on the firing line, he, on May 8,
1864, applied for and obtained the permission
of his superior officer to report to the com-
manding officer of his regiment for duty at
the front. He did so at once, and participated
with his regiment in the battle of Laurel Hill
on Way 10, and in the battle of Spottsylvania
Court House, May 12, 1864. In the last-
named engagement he received a severe gun-
shot wound through his left side, which be-
came the subject of great interest to the army
surgeons, and is noted by Surgeon George A.
Otis in his "Surgical History of the War of
the Rebellion," among the celebrated cases of
gunshot wounds of the abdomen. For faith-
ful and meritorious service as a non-commis-
sioned officer, and for courage and gallantry
in action, he was recommended by his regi-
mental officers for a commission in the regular
armv. but being incapacitated by reason of his
wound for service in the field, and having no
liking for life at an army post, he declined the
proffered honor and at the expiration of his
term of service, August 29, 1864, took his
discharge. A few weeks later he went to
Washington, District of Columbia, and on Oc-
tober 10, 1864, was appointed to a clerkship
in the war department, where he has continued
in various positions of trust and responsibility
up to the present time (1909). He is an
alumnus of the George Washington Univer-
sity, having been graduated from the Colum-
bian Law School in June, 1871, with the de-
gree of Bachelor of Laws, and was at once
admitted to the bar and to practice in the
courts of the District of Columbia. He was
mustered into the Grand Army of the Re-
public in 1 87 1 and has been an active worker
in that organization for nearly forty years.
He was one of the "Old Guard" that pre-
served and kept intact the Department of the
Potomac, of which he was department com-
mander in 1878. He has risen to distinction
in all the rites and orders of the Masonic fra-
ternity, is a past grand junior warden of the
Grand Lodge, past grand high priest of the
Royal Arch Masons, past grand commander
of the Grand Commandery of the Knights
Templar of the District of Columbia, and in-
spector general, honorary, of the Thirty-third
Degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite :

he is president of the Masonic \' eteran Asso-
ciation, a member of the -Association of Old-
est Inhabitants of the District of Columbia, of
the National Geographic Society, of the Amer-
ican National Red Cross, and of the Maine
Association in the District of Columbia. iMr
Corson married. May 30, 1885, FJlen Louisa'
daughter of George M. Seipp, of Baltimore'
Maryland, and their only child, Edna Lois,'
was born March 5, 1886, and is pursuing her
studies in the George Washington University,
and also in the Library of Congress, in which
she holds a position in the classification divis-
ion, given her by the librarian because of the
special aptitude shown by her as a library
student and her interest in library work.

The names of Stedman and
STEADMAN Steadman often appear on
the early records of towns
in Massachusetts and Connecticut. John
Stedman was of Cambridge in 1638; John
Stedman, of Hartford, had a son John, born
there in 165 1 ; Robert Stedman, of Cambridge,
was a freeman in 1638; another member of
the family resided near Boston, participated
either in the revolution or war of 1812, pre-
sumably the former, married a Miss Randall,
and died of yellow fever. William Stedman
rnoved to Hebron, Maine, married a Miss Gar-
diner, whose ancestors came on the "May-
flower," her father being one of the members
of the famous "Boston Tea Party." From
these and others are descended many worthy
citizens of New England. The Stedmans
came to this country from England, and many
of the name are found in Scotland, where it
is pronounced as though it were Steedman.

Amasa Steadman, grandfather of James M.
Steadman, was born in Hebron, Maine, toward
the latter part of the seventeenth century. He
married Martha Washburn, and among' their
children were Ephraim M., see forward ; Mrs.
Harriet Burnham, of Sanford ; and Mrs. J.
Keen, of Bridgton.

Ephraim M. Steadman, father of James M.
Steadman, was born in Hebron, Maine, Octo-
ber I, 1825. He attended the schools of his
native town, acquiring a practical education,
and in 1855 established himself in trade at
North Livermore, and from that time until
his death, a period of half a century, was
actively engaged in his chosen vocation of
merchant, advancing from the position of pro-
prietor of the small country store in Livermore
to become the head of Steadman, Hawkes &
Company, one of the principal wholesale com-
mercial houses in the state. He had a lono-



and unifoniily successful business career. He
was in trade in Lewiston from i860 to 1874,
when he came to Portland and entered the
firm of Atwood. Stcadman & Company, whole-
sale gjocers. Shortly afterward, upon the re-
tirement of Mr. Atwood, he acquired the en-
tire interest in this business, and with the
assistance of his son, James M. Steadman,
establi.shed the firm of E. M. Steadman &
Company, at 221 Commercial street, Portland,
which by the united efforts of father and son
became one of the most successful wholesale
houses in the state. In 1902, after twenty-five
years of successful business, it was incorporated
under the name of Steadman, Hawkes &
Company, uniting the business of Skillin,
Hawkes & Company with that of the firm and
creating one of the largest and most substan-
tial wholesale grocery houses upon Commer-
cial street. Mr. Steadman took an active part
in the management of the company, though
his duties at the last, owing to his failing
health, were largely assumed by his son and
partner, James M. Mr. Steadman had large
and important interests outside of his mer-
cantile connections. He was one of the found-
ers of the Chapman National Bank, in which
he served as director from its establishment
until his death. He was a member and trustee
of the Pine Street Methodist Episcopal Church
of Portland, and his benefactions thereto were
always timely and considerable. He was a
member of Androscoggin Lodge of Odd Fel-
lows, and of several other charitable and bene-
ficial organizations. He was a prominent and
commanding factor in the commercial world,
and his career, from the small commencement
till success crowned his efforts, should prove
an inspiration for others to follow. Mr. Stead-
man married, in Winthrop, Maine, 1846, Ann
L. Whitney, born at Canton, Maine, October
15, 1826, daughter of James and Ann (Gibbs)
Whitney, the latter of whom i? a descendant
of the Gibbs family, one of the first settlers of
Livermore, Maine. Two children were born
to Mr. and Mrs. Steadman: James M.. see
forward, and a child who died young. The
married life of Mr. and Mrs. Steadman was
particularly long and happy; the fiftieth anni-
versary of their marriage, which was fittingly
celebrated in i8g6, is well remembered by their
many friends as an occasion of great felicity.
Mr. Steadman died at his residence, 62 Thom-
as street, Portland, May 14, 1905, after a
protracted illness of several weeks. His death
was keenly felt in the home to which he was
most sincerely devoted, and also bv all with

whom he had connection, either in business or
social life.

James M. Steadman was born in Winthrop,
Maine, March 24, 1847. He attended the pub-
lic school of Livermore until he was twelve
years of age, then attended the Lewiston
school, after which he entered the Auburn
Academy, completing his studies in that insti-
tution. He then became a clerk in his father's
general store and was there employed until
April 27, 1864, when he enlisted as a private
in Captain Sylvanus Cobb's company, Maine
Volunteer Infantry, for sixty days. He served
with his command at Kittery, r^Iainc, for seven-
ty-three days and was then discharged. Soon
afterward he returned to Lewiston and became
an apprentice to the trade of machinist. Af-
ter working at that three years, he concluded
that mercantile life better suited his tastes and
inclinations, and accordingly entered the em-
ploy of A. M. Jones, retail shoe dealer, in the
capacity of clerk, remaining in that capacity
two years. In 1870 he entered into partner-
ship with his father, and they carried on busi-
ness together until 1874, when they disposed
of the store and stock. He then became a
member of the firm of Atwood, Steadman &
Company, of Portland, which firm conducted
an extensive and remunerative business. In
1877 the Steadmans, father and son, having
gained experience, purchased, Mr. Atwood's in-
terest, and the firm became E. M. Steadman &
Company. In 1902, on the incorporation of
Steadman, Hawkes & Company, the following,
officers were elected : James M. Steadman,
president ; E. M. Steadman, vice-president ;
James F. Hawkes, secretary and treasurer.
The business was well and successfully con-
ducted, and its owners prospered and were ac-
counted among the leading merchants in their
line. On January i, igo8, James ]\1. Stead-
man purchased all the stock of the company,
and is now sole owner of the business, which is
being conducted under the incorporated name.
Mr. Steadman is interested in other business
enterprises in Portland, serving in the capacity
of director in the Ciiapman National Bank
and in the United States Trust Company. He
is recognized in the community as a shrewd
and practical business man, conducting his
operations in a straightforward manner that
cannot fail to attract attention and elicit praise.
He votes the Republican ticket in national elec-
tions, but in local politics is independent. He
is a member of Androscoggin Lodge, No. 24^
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Au-
burn, ^.lainc. Himself and family attend the

t. < '^'h


/^2-»^ <^Z^-X.

lams mstoricc.1 Ftib Ct,



Methodist Episcopal church. James M. Stead-
man married, March 22, 1872, Addie F.
Car\ill, Ijorn in Lewiston, Maine, Septem-
ber 17, 1849, daughter of Orrin S. and
Nancy (Dennett) Carvill, formerly of Lew-
iston, who moved to California after the
civil war. Mrs. Carvill died in Lewiston,
Maine, 1873, aged forty-six years. Chil-
dren of ^Ir. and Mrs. Carvill: Almon
C, Abbie J-, deceased, who married Ed-
ward Judkins : Alice, who married George H.
Pippy : Addie F., aforementioned as the wife
of James ]\L Steadman. Children of Mr. and
Mrs. Steadman: Annie C, born January 17,
1873, died July 10, 1876. Fred E., born May
18, 1877, died December g, 1883. Maud, born
November 19, 1881, wife of Dr. D. W. Co-
burn. Patty, born April 23, 1884. Mabel,
born June 8, 1887.

This surname was often spelled in
KING England, Kynge ; on the Rolls of

Parliament and the Hundred Rolls
are recorded Hamond le King, Sayer le King
and Robert le Kynge. It is an uncommon
name north of Shropshire, and though some
branches of the family scattered through many
counties, Devon, Cornwall, Cambridge, Essex
and others, the Kings were best known in

Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 7 of 128)