George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 75 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 75 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


stantly occupied and he maintained this ac-
tivity up to a few days before his death. His
integrity and business ability impressed itself
on all wdio came in contact with him in a busi-
ness way. He was in no sense a politician, but
he maintained an undiminishing interest in
municipal affairs, and in 1857 represented his
ward in the common council, and in 1859 was
elected a member of the board of aldermen
and was re-elected three times, serving four
consecutive terms. He was chairman of the
board and a member of the most important
of its committees when not the presiding
officer. He was a representative from the
district in the state legislature in 1873, and
mayor of the city in 1876, having been elected
over the Hon. Samuel Bryant, the Democratic
mayor of 1875, and the strongest candidate the



party could present. The growing popularity
of Mr. Moffitt in the legislative branch of the
city government and the strength he displayed
when championing popular reforms in the city
government gained him many votes and he
was re-elected in 1877 by a greatly increased
majority as his two years' service as chief
executive officer of the municipality was con-
servative, wise and effective. He acknowl-
edged the rights of the minority and never
doubted the patriotism and honesty of his
political opponents.- He did not solicit votes
either on the platform or by personal solici-
tation, and his conservatism was one of the
causes of his success. His administration was
marked by economy and simplicity, and he
met the citizens as their servant, entrusted
with the aft'airs of a city and not of the wel-
fare of a political party. He was a member
of Aurora Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons ;
of King Solomon Temple, Chapter Royal Arch
Masons, and of Claremont Commandery,
Knights Templar. He was past master of his
lodge and eminent commander of Knights
Templar.

He married, ■May i, 1845, Louisa M. Nor-
cross, of Livermore. His wife died Julv 5,
i860, after she had given birth to six children,
of whom only one, Angelina, born in 1857,
is now living. He married (second) Febru-
ary 17, 1863, Julia E., daughter of Joseph
and Olive (Davenport) Whittier, of Reed-
field, Kennebec county. His church affiliation
was with the Congregational denomination,
and he was a constant attendant on the ser-
vices of the church and a ready supporter of
its financial policy and a subscriber to its mis-
sionary and charitable expenses. He was an
uncompromising advocate of prohibition, and
was always outspoken in the defence of women
and children from the evils brought about by
the drinking habit, that he claimed should be
restricted by law. This extreme view made
him feared by the liquor loving element of so-
ciety, and so strong was this sentiment that his
enemies tried at one time to destroy his house
by dynamite. Mr. Moffitt died at his home in
Rockland, Maine, October 24, 1903, and his
widow survives him.



This name is probably a
PIRINGTON modification of Purington,
a patronymic found in vari-
ous parts of New England, notably New
Hampshire, during colonial times. There were
divers and sundry spellings. In the New
Hampshire Provincial Papers we find that
"robbart pariaton," of Portsmouth, was one of



20l8



STATE OF MAINE.



tiiL- Myiicr- ui a petition to the king for the
continuation of .\lassachll^ctts government over
New Hampshire, October 22. 1677. In 1710
EUas Purington, of southern New Hampshire,
was one of Colonel Shadrach Walton's men in
the expedition against Port Royal. The name
does not appear on the New Hampshire Revo-
lutionary Rolls except in this connection. In
1 78 1 Jonathan Purington, of Kensington, was
among those who furnished lodgings to New
York Tories, possibly prisoners of war, or
men who hail been required to give up their
own homes and were under surveillance in
what was then a distant state. The New
Hampshire census of 1790 gives the names of
no less than eleven men by the name of Pur-
ington who were heads of families in that state
at that time. Six of them spelled their name
with the double middle letter. These were
Joseph, George and Joshua Purrington, of
Epping; Joseph, of Chichester; Wintrop (sic),
of Henniker; and Zaccheus, of Dover. Of the
si.x who wrote their name with the single "r,"
we find Hezekiah, Elisha, Elisha (2) and
Chase, of VVeare ; James, of Pittsfiekl ; and
Jonathan, of Kensington. Which of these, if
any, was the ancestor of the following line is
undetermined.

(I) Prescott Pirington was born about the
beginning of the nineteenth century, and prob-
ably lived at Exeter, New Hampshire, as that
was the birthplace of his children. He died
about 1832, but there is no mention in the
New Hampshire records. Prescott Pirington
married Eliza Payson Richardson, born at
Nottingham, New Hampshire ; children, all
born in Exeter, New Hampshire : Josiah,
Charles Andrew Jackson, Daniel Josiah, and
Prescott Moulton. Mr. Pirington died early
in life, and his widow married (second)
Ephraim O. Whitcomb, of Lowell. Massachu-
setts, born at Fryeburg, Maine, June 30, 1806.
Children by the second marriage : Sarah Su-
san, born in 1835; Daniel Osborne, September
30, 1837; Eliza Susan, August 24, 1839; Mae
Emeline, January 7, 1842; William W'eeks,
April 4, 1844.

(II) Prescott Moulton, son of Prescott and
Eliza Payson (Richardson) Pirington, was
born at Exeter, New Hampshire, January 3,
1830. When a child he moved with his parents
to Lowell, Massachusetts, and in 1833 'o Kit-
tery, Maine, where he attended the public
schools. He afterwards moved to Portland,
where he remained about fifteen years, and
learned the trade of making doors, blinds and
sashes. During three years of this time he
was engaged in manufacturing on his own



account, and afterwards pursued the same oc-
cupation at Bath, Maine. In 1851 he moved
to Calais, where he established the same line
of business and conducted it successfully for
years. After a time he took a partner, and
the firm name became Pirington & Stroul.
Subsequently this firm bought out and con-
tinued the business of Chase, Parker & Com-
pany, dealers in hardware, which they carried
on together with their original work of manu-
facturing doors, blinds and sashes. In 1902
they sold out to J. B. & H. D. Eaton, and Mr.
Pirington has lived in retirement since then.

Mr. Pirington is a Republican in politics,
anil has held much public office. His connec-
tion with his party has been lifelong, for he
voted for John C. Fremont for president back
in 1856, when the party first came into being.
Mr. Pirington was overseer of the poor in
Calais for fifteen years, and a member of the
board of health for the same length of time,
served on the city council and board of alder-
men, and was mayor of Calais in 1877. He
is independent in his religious views, though
both his wife and mother have been members
of the Methodist church. Mr. Pirington is a
member of the Board of Trade, a director in
the Calais Savings Bank, and has always
contributed to the Calais Public Library. He
belongs to Saint Croix Lodge, No. 46, Ancient
Free and Accepted Masons.

On November 29, 1853, Mr. Pirington mar-
ried Mary Elizabeth Hanson, born at Mill-
town, Saint Stephen's, New Brunswick, April
23, 1836. She was one of a family of twelve
children, her brothers and sisters being :
Heber Ran, Levi Taylor, Jane Banks, Caro-
line Payson, Elvira, William W'allace, Henry
Lufkin, Helen Maria, Susan Soule, Asenath
Hill Hanson.



This family began their American
ALLEY biography in Lynn, Massachu-
setts, "the city of soles," whose
"bells" our own Longfellow heard from Na-
hant. The Honorable John B. Alley, member
of congress from Massachusetts, was of this
line.

(I) The person to whom is credited the
honor of progenitorship is Hugh Alley, who
was born in 1608 and came over in the ship
"Abigail" in 1635 from London at the age
of twenty-seven. He landed at Boston, re-
sided in Lynn, and owned land in Nahant.
He died November 25, 1673, his wife, Mary,
survived him one year. They were the par-
ents of Mary. John, Martha, Sarah, Hugh,
Solomon, Hannah and Jacob.



STATE OF MAINE.



2019



(II) Hugh (2), eldest son of Hugh (i)
and Mary Alley, was born in Lynn, October
15- 1633, and was a weaver. He married Re-
becca Hood and had children : Solomon, Ja-
cob, Eleazer, Hannah, Richard, Joseph, Ben-
jamin and Samuel.

(III) Benjamin, sixth son of Hugh (2)
and Rebecca (Hood) Alley, was born in Lynn,
February 24, 1694. He was a farmer and
fisherman. He made his will May 19, 1756.
which was proved June 21, 1756. He mar-
ried Elizabeth Newhall, of Lynn. Alarried
(second) Hannah Hart, also of Lynn, who
survived him. The Alleys from this union
were : Jacob, Solomon, Eleazer, Richard, Han-
nah. Benjamin, John, Abner and Elizabeth.

(IV) Solomon, second son of Benjamin and
Elizabeth (Newhall) Alley, was born January
2, 1 72 1, and was a fisherman. His wife's
name was Rebecca. Issue of this marriage :
Jedediah. James, Lydia, Content (died in in-
fancy). Content and Micajah.

(V) James, second son of Solomon and
Rebecca Alley, was born May 14, 1745, died
October 17, 1823. He was a cordwainer and
lived in Lynn. The Christian name of his
wife was Lois, and to them were born Moses
Breed, Rebecca, James, who was born Sep-
tember II, 1773, and others.

(VI) James Alley married Polly Bartlett,
of Mount Desert, Maine, in 1801. and had
a son Fred J. Whether our James was the
James who was born September 11. 1773, in
Lynn, we know not, but it might have been
the case and the way looks probable for such
a conclusion.

(VII) Fred Jarvis, son of James and Polly
(Bartlett) Alley, was born in Surrey, Maine,
and lived at Bar Harbor. He was instru-
mental in the development of that place into a
summer resort, and was one of the pioneers
in the hotel business there. He built the St.
Sauveur Hotel and conducted it for some
years as a successful hostelry. He married
Irene Roberts, and their issue were: Frank
O., Ophelia Whittington, Albion P. and Ac-
quia J.

(VIII) Frank Orrin. eldest son of Fred J.
and Irene (Roberts) Alley, was associated in
the hotel business of Bar Harbor with Albion
P. He is a member of the Bar Harbor Lodge,
No. 185, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons,
is a Republican and belongs to the Congrega-
tional church. He married Sarah .'\delma,
daughter of Richard Hamor, of Bar Harbor,
who was the owner of the Grand Central
Hotel, and built the first road across the island.
He was a sea captain and a ship builder. Chil-



dren of Frank O. are : Everhard Dwight, born
December 25, 1879: John Winfield, September
13. 1883; Frank Orrin Jr., July 14, 1895.

(VIII) Albion P., second son of Fred J.
and Irene (Roberts) Alley, was born in Sur-
rey, Hancock county, Maine, April 6, 1861.
on the anniversary of the death of Alexander
the Great. He attended the public schools of
Bar Harbor and the East Maine Conference
Seminary at Bucksport. After leaving school
he entered the hotel business established by his
father, and has since been connected with the
same, and is known far and wide to the sum-
mer travel as "Mine Host" who knows how
to run a modern hotel to the satisfaction of
his guests. His patrons come from all parts
of the world. Mr. Alley is a member of Island
Lodge, No. 120, Independent Order of Odd
Fellows, of Bar Harbor, of Porcupine Lodge,
No. 86, Knights of Pythias, and of the Board
of Trade of Bar Harbor. He is a Congregation-
alist and a Republican. He married Linnie,
daughter of Dr. George Googins, of Mill-
bridge, Maine. Her mother was before mar-
riage Mary McClure, of Searsport, Maine.
Children : Marjorie Josephine, born February
2, 1888, and Gerard Frances, July 12, 1894.



This patronymic is unusual in
PHAIR America, though it is occasion-
ally found in England and Ire-
land. The following family is directly de-
scended from Colonel Robert Phaire, regicide,
by his second wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Sir
Thomas Herbert, baronet. Probably he is the
Colonel Phaire mentioned in history as one of
Cromwell's invading army in a battle that
took place in Ireland, April 10, 1650. The
arms of the family are : Gules, a cross moline
argent, over all a bend azure ; crest : Out of a
drcal coronet, a falcon rising, proper; Motto:
Mrtute tutius. Among contemporaries bearing
the name in England may be noted : Rev.
Samuel George Phear, master of Emmanuel
College, Cambridge, from 1871-95: Dr. Ar-
thur George Phear, of the Royal Hospital : and
Colonel Arthur Phayre, who has served with
distinction in South Africa and India.

(I) James Phair, son, -of Alexander, and
the first of the family to come to America, left
Ireland in 1818, and settled in Charlottetown,
Prince Edward's Island. He married Eliza-
beth, daughter of James Armstrong, of Bel-
fast, Ireland, and they had two sons : Andrew^
father of James and George Phair, of Lime-
stone : and James (2).

(II) James (2), son of James (i) and Eliza-
beth (Armstrong) Phair, \V3.s born about 1819.



2020



STATE OF MAINE.



The fai.n.> L-^i^ng- to the Protestant Episcopal
church. He married Hannah Murphy, daugh-
ter of Thomas and Hannah (Tappenden)
Murphy, born in 1819. Her father was a ship
owner. There were six children : Alexander ;
James H., whose sketch follows; Joseph,
Thomas H.. Mary and Emma Elizabeth.

(HI) James H.. second son of James (2)
and Hannah ( Murphv) Phair, was born at
Whitehall, New York, July 18, 1844. In
1856, after the murder of his father, he came
with liis mother and other members of the
family to Presqne Isle, Maine. Aug:ust 11,
1861, he enlisted in Company I, Seventh Maine
Regiment, and at once went south, joining
the Army of the Potomac. He served with
that army in all of their bloody battles and up
to June 28, 1865, when he was mustered out.
Lieutenant Phair was twice wounded in the
battle of Spottsylvania, oi»ce in the battle of
Cedar Creek, and once during the capture of
Petersburg. He was mustered out as first
lieutenant, and at the time was in command
of his company, as he had been for some
months previous. After the war was over
Lieutenant Phair returned to Presque Isle,
where he was engaged in the hotel and livery
business until 1897. That year he was ap-
pointed by President McKinley to be post-
master of Presque Isle, which position he still
holds. During his term of office he has in-
troduced many new conveniences and accom-
modations, and has conducted his administra-
tion in an alert, efficient and businesslike man-
ner. He has the highest respect and esteem
of his fellow townsmen, and is a member of
several fraternal organizations. He is a
Mason, belonging to the Council at Presque
Isle, and to the Chapter at Caribou, Maine.
He is a member of the Grand Army of the
Republic, and of Houlton Lodge. No. 835.
Order of Elks. On December i, 1867, he mar-
ried Eliza, daughter of Michael and Sarah
CValley) Gallagher, of Woorlstock. N. B.
They have one child, Philip Dewitt, born Jan-
uary 1. 1870, at Presque Isle. He was edu-
cated in tlie local schools of his native town,
at Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, and
also at Harvard College, where he spent three
years. He returned to Trinity College as in-
structor in history, which position he held for
two years. Since 1900 he has been connected
with the Congressional Librarv at Washing-
ton, D. C.

dll) Thomas H., fourth son of James (2)
and Hannah (Murphv) Phair, was born at
Whitehall, New York.'April 6, 1850. \\'hen a
child he removed with his mother and other



members of the family to Presque Isle, Maine,
where at the age of nine years he entered a
general store as clerk. When sixteen years old
he became a partner in the firm of Johnson &
Judd. A man of keen foresight, he soon
saw something which offered greater oppor-
tunities than the general merchandise and lum-
ber business, which had at first occupied his
attention. Aroostook county is peculiarly
adapted to the manufacture of starch, because
it is one of the greatest potato-growing re-
gions in the country. The raisers of this in-
dispensable vegetable were formerly at a loss
to know what to do with their small tubers ;
but Mr. Phair saw how a waste product might
be turned to good account. He has built up a
business of such magnitude that he has be-
come popularly known as the "Starch King."
It was in 1883 that the firm of John.son &
Phair first began to manufacture starch, which
has now become one of the most important
products of the county. The T. H. Phair
Company now operates thirteen different fac-
tories, with a capacity of seventy-eight tons a
dav. This starch is of superior quality, and
is used in vast quantities by cotton mills and
other large enterprises. Beside the manufac-
ture of starch, which they ship to all parts
of the country, the company carries on a lum-
ber business, and has mills at Washburn and
Squawpan.

Mr. Phair is a Republican in politics, and
represented his town in the state legislature of
1883 and 1885, and was elected to the state
senate in 1887. In 1889 he was appointed col-
lector of customs for his district, a position
that he still holds. He takes a great interest
in educational work, and was appointe.d trus-
tee of the State Normal School at Presque
Isle. He is conspicuous for his public spirit,
and it was largely owing to his zealous interest
that Presque Isle was chosen as the location for
the Normal School. One of Mr. Phair's recre-
ations is the owning and driving of fine horses.
He has been the owner of some valuable prize
winners, among them being "Dolly Bidwell,"
who trotted in two minutes, eight and one-
half seconds, and "Day Book," who paced in
two minutes, nine and one-half seconds.

Mr. Phair was united in marriage to Ada
Forbes, daughter of Charles F. A. Forbes, of
Lincoln, Maine. They have two children.



This family of Blaisdell is
BLAISDELL native to Maine, but it made

a detour into Massachusetts
as early as 1640, settling in Salisbury. In the
fourth generation they emigrated back to the



STATE OF MAINE.



2021



ancestral seat, and in the Old Pine Tree State
the descendants have ever since resided and
made for themselves a good name, aiding- in
the furtherance of every worthy cause. Many
of them have been connected with the funda-
mental industry of Maine — farming. Others
have been identified with the business develop-
ment of the state, but all "have made good,"
whatever their honorable calling. The name
is derived from the combination of two old
English words, blaise, meaning luxuriant, and
dell, a luxuriant valley. The first Mr. Blais-
dell was a man who lived in a luxuriant val-
ley. During the seventeenth and eighteenth
centuries the surname Blaisdell was frequently
spelled Blasdell, Blasdale, Blasdel, Blasedill,
Blassdell, Blazdell, Blaisdale.

(I) Ralph Blaisdell, the American ancestor
of this family, was a tailor. He lived in Salis-
bury, Massachusetts, as early as 1640, having
come from York. Maine. The name of his
wife was Elizabeth. He died about 1648, his
wife surviving him till August. 1667, when
she died at Salisbury. Their children were :
Henry, Sarah and Mary.

(H) Henry, eldest son and child of Ralph
and Elizabeth Blaisdell, was born in Salisbury,
Massachusetts, about 1632. He was a planter
and tailor. He received various grants of
land. He took the oath of allegiance and
fidelity December 11, 1677. He lived in that
part of Salisbury which was set off as Ames-
bury in 1666. In 1665 he was one of the
original founders of Salisbury New Town. He
married first Mary Haddon, about 1657, and
she died in i6go. He died between the years
1705 and 1707. Their children were: Eben-
ezer, Mary, Henry, Elizabeth, Ralph, John,
Sarah, Jonathan and Samuel.

(III) Ebenezer, eldest child of Henry and
Mary (Haddon) Blaisdell, was born in Salis-
tury, Massachusetts, September 17, 1657, died
August 10, 1710, in Amesbury. He took the
oath of allegiance December 16, 1677. He mar-
ried, 1680, Sarah, daughter of John and
Frances (Hoyt) Colby. Children: Ephraim,
Thomas, Ebenezer, Eleanor, j\Iary, Ralph and
Sarah. He received children's land in 1659,
and his father's township land in 1660.

(IV) Ebenezer, third son and child of Eben-
ezer and Sarah (Colby) Blaisdell, was born in
Amesbury, Massachusetts, December 29, 1686.
He moved to York, IVlaine, 1712, and resided
there till 1764. He married, 1712, Abigail,
daughter of John and Deborah (Gunnison)
Ingerson, of Kittery, and widow of Joseph
Jenkins, of York. She died April 28, 1755.



Children : Sarah, Ebenezer, Ephraim, Samuel,
Daniel, Abigail, Joseph, Mary and James.

(\') "Deacon" Ebenezer, eldest son and
second child of Ebenezer and Abigail (Inger-
son) Blaisdell, was born in York, Maine, April
9, 1 71 5. He owned large tracts of land along
the south side of York river. He married
Lydia, born January 28, 1717, daughter of
Benjamin and Mehitable (Allen) Webber.
Children : Daniel, Ebenezer, Elijah, David,
Enoch," Samuel, Abner, Jedediah, Lydia and
Dummer. Of his nine sons Abner settled in
Hancock county. Many of the descendants of
Daniel, David and Elijah came to Kennebec
county, while most of the others settled on
farms in York. It is quite certain "Deacon"
Ebenezer Blaisdell served in both the colonial
and revolutionary wars. His eighth son Jede-
diah fought at the battle of Bunker Hill.

(VI) David, fourth son and child of Eben-
ezer and Lydia (Webber) Blaisdell, was born
October 5, 1745, in York, Maine. He married,
October 15, 1775, Margaret, born October 20,
1739, daughter of the Rev. Joshua and Ada
(Tida) Emery, of Berwick. Children: Em-
ery, Dummer and other sons. David Blaisdell
was a farmer and conveyancer of land.

(VII) Dummer. second son and child of
David and jNIargaret (Emery) Blaisdell, born
1789, in York, died August 8, 1856, in Water-
ville. He was a farmer, and resided in York
till 1839, when he removed to Waterville with
his son John. He was an old line Whig. He
married, September 16, 1815, Olive, daughter
of William and Catherine (Carlisle) Trafton,
of York; she died December 25, 1863. Chil-
dren : Charles, John, Eliza, Caroline and
Pauline.

(VIII) John, second son and child of Dum-
mer and Olive (Trafton) Blaisdell, born De-
cember 22, 1818, in York, Maine, died ]\Iarch
28, 1903. He came to Waterville in 1839 from
York in company with his father. They pur-
chased a farm in the south part of Waterville,
on which he ever afterward resided. He also
owned farms in the town of Sidney. He was
a Whig and a Republican from the formation
of that party. He was a member of the Water-
ville and Sidney Free Baptist church, joining
at or near the time of its organization in 1840,
and held the office of deacon for more than
fiftv years. He married, December 3, 1843,
Mary A., born in Sidney, Maine, November
30, 1822, died February 15, 1903, daughter of
Joseph and Sally (Blaisdell) Trafton. Chil-
dren : Sarah Lizzie and John Colby.

(IX) Sarah Lizzie, daughter of John and



202^



STATE OF MAIXE.



Mary A. (Trafton) Blaisdell. born in Water-
ville, April ii, 1845, died August 30, 1893.
She was etlucated in tlie common scliools and
Waterville Academy, taught in the schools of
Waterville and Sidney for a number of years,
and was successfully engaged in the millinery
business in Waterville for twenty-two years.
She was one of the founders of the Waterville
Woman's Association.

(IX) John Colby, only son and youngest
child of John ancl ^lary A. (Trafton) Blais-
dell, was born July 12, 1849, *n Waterville,
Maine. He was educated in the schools of
Waterville and the Coburn Classical Institute
of that city. He afterward went to Boston
and was employed as foreman for Noyes,
Holmes & Company, wholesale manufacturers
of stationery. He continued with them six
years and then returned to Waterville, taking
up his residence on the old homestead farm.
In 1904 he moved into the city of Waterville,
and deals in real estate and investments. He
is a Republican and has served in the city
council. He is recording secretary of 'the
Waterville Historical Society, and a promi-
nent member of the First Baptist Church. He
married, July 28, 1875, Sarah A., born March
23, 1849, '" Rome, Maine, daughter of James
and Ruby (Knight) Tibbetts. They have no
children.



(For ancestry see preceding sketch.)

(VI) Daniel, eldest son and
BLAISDELL child of Deacon Ebenezer
and Lydia (Webber) Blais-
dell, was born February 12, 1739, in York,
Maine. He married, 'Slay 31, 1763, Mary Al-
len, of Wells, Maine. Children: Eleanor,



Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 75 of 128)