George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 9 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 9 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Lizzie, who died in her twenty-^second year;
George Edwin, mentioned below ;iAnna Louise,
wife of Charles A. Siegemund.

(Vni) George Edwin, son of Rufus K.
(2) Twambley, was born in Saco, Maine, Au-
gust 20, 1849. I^c was educated in the public
schools of his native town. He learned the
watchmaking and jeweler's trade of his father
and became associated with him in business.
At the father's death he succeeded to the busi-
ness, which he has conducted with success to
the present time. He is a Republican in poli-
tics and a Unitarian in religion. He married,
November 19, 1871, Amanda Josephine, born
1850. died March 20, 1907, daughter of Jo-
seph Whittier, of Biddeford. Their only child,
George Frank, born September 19, 1876, was
educated in the public schools of Saco and is
now associated in business with his father.

(For early generations see preceding sltetch.)

(V) Stephen, son of Sainuel
TWOMBLEY (2) Twombly. was born
1750-60, at Dover. He set-
tled in Rochester, New Hampshire. He was
baptized, an adult, while on his sick bed. May
12, 1800, and his three children — Stephen, Ann
and Betty — were baptized in the Rochester
church, which he joined at that time, June 19,
1800. Qiildren, born at Rochester: i. Nancy
(Anna), September 2, 1788, married Daniel
Hoyt, of Rochester ; died December, 1858. 2.
Lucy, November 25, 1790, died April 30, 1791.
3. James, July 24, died December 16, 1795. 4.
Betsey (or Betty), January 17, 1796, married
Nahum Corson, who died October 2, 1845. .S-
Mary, February 13, 1798, died August 18,
1798. 6. Stephen, mentioned below.

(VI) Stephen (2), son of Stephen (i)
Twombly, was born in Rochester, January 13,
1800, and died in early manhood, in 1836. He
married Olive Plummer, of Rocliester. They
settled in Lebanon, Maine. Their only child:
Joseph B., mentioned below.

(VII) Joseph B., son of Stephen (2), was
born in Lebanon, Maine, June 10, 1831. He

was educated in the public schools of Lebanon
and Rochester. When he was eighteen he
joined the gold seekers and sailed in 1849 ^O""
California from Newburyport, in the brig
"Arkansas," Captain Coffin, rounding Cape
Horn. He remained in California a year and
a half. In 1851 he returned to Great Falls,
New Hampshire, and for a time followed the
sea in fishing boats from Gloucester to the
Gulf of St. Lawrence and the Grand Banks.
Early in the civil war he enlisted in Company
H, Ninth Regiment of Volunteers, Captain
James Edgerly, and was mustered into serv-
ice at Concord, New Hampshire. He took
part in the battles of South ^Mountain and
Fredericksburg, where he was wounded. He
was sent to a Philadelphia hospital and later
returned home to recuperate. He was dis-
charged with the rank of sergeant. He en-
listed in the navy and was gunner's mate at
the battle of Fort Fisher, under Lieutenant
(afterwards Admiral) Dewey. After the
war he returned to Rochester and entered
the employ of Wallace Brothers, boot and
shoe manufacturers, and continued with the
same concern for a period of thirty years.
During most of that time he was at the
head of the sole leather department. In
politics Mr. Twombly was a Republican.
He was a member of the Congregational
church of Rochester, and of the Grand
Army of the Republic. He married (first)
Almira H. Randall, born 1836, at Som-
ersworth, died 1869. He married (sec-
ond) Mary Jane Junkins, born 1832, died
1897, daughter of John Earle and widow of
Horace Junkins. He married (third) a sister
of his second wife. Children of first wife: i.
Harriet Elizabeth, born 1862, died December
25, 1905. 2. William J., born 1863. 3. Ed-
win Dow, mentioned below.

(VIII) Edwin Dow, son of Joseph B.
Twombly, was born in Rochester, New Hamp-
shire. May I, 1865. He attended the public
schools of his native town, graduated at the
Rochester high school, and was in Phillips
Academy, Exeter, for three years. He en-
tered the newspaper business as correspond-
ent and special writer for various New York
and Boston dailies. In 1889 he established the
South Bcncick Life, at South Berwick. Maine.
In 1892 he sold his newspaper and went to
]\Iinneapolis, where he was on the staff of the
Minneapolis Times and Journal. While there
he was injured in an accident and has never
fully recovered. In 1898 he established the
Old York Transcript, of which he is still the
owner and editor. He is well known through-



out York county as a writer of recognized
ability. He is a Republican in politics. He is
a member of the executive committee of the
Maine Press Association. He married, Octo-
ber, iSSrj, Elizabeth, daughter of Alonzo
Stackpole, of South Berwick. Maine, descend-
ant of an old colonial family of Kittery, Maine.
Children: i. Beatrice R., born November 5,
1890, in Rollinsford, New Hampshire. 2.
Philip Y., September, 1894, in ^Minneapolis.
Minnesota. 3. Elizabeth H., November, 1907.

was a Swedenborgian. He married, in Gor-
ham Village, Eliza A. Cressey, who was born
in Gorham, May 21, 183 1, who survives him
and resides in Portland. Her parents were
James and Hannah (Hasty) Cressey. (See
Cressey V.) Mr. and Mrs. Twom'bley had
no children.

The name of Twombley or
TWOMBLEY Twambley appears early in

New Hampshire. Ralph
Twombley was of Dover, in 1656. His will
was made February 28, 1685, and probated
October 7, 1686. By his wife Elizabeth, as
shown by the will, he had children : John,
Ralph, Joseph. Mary, Elizabeth, Hope, Sarah,
Esther and William. Nathaniel Twombley is
mentioned as of Dover, in 1658, but nothing
further is heard of him. From Ralph are
sprung all or nearly all of the name in New
Hampshire and in Maine.

(I) Ephraim Twombley was born in 1782,
died July 29, 1833, and was buried in the
Eastern cemetery, Portland. He was a farmer
and resided the principal part of his life in
Berwick. In politics he was a Democrat,
and in religious faith a Unitarian. He was
a captain in the militia. He married Abigail
Samson, who was born in Portland and died
there, aged seventy-two years, and was buried
in Eastern cemetery. They had four children :
I. Fred, born February, 1802, died single,
January 28, 1877. 2. Mary Ann, died at
forty-five years of age. 3. Elizabeth Janet,
born 181 1, died in 1899. She married Colonel
Charles F. Little, who was born 181 5, and
died in 1865. They had one child, Georgie,
who married John Lowell and had one child,
Payson Tucker Lowell. Payson T. married
Bawn Carmen and has three children : Bea-
trice, John and Payson. 4. Leonard William,
mentioned below.

(II) Leonard William, youngest child of
Ephraim and Abigail (Samson) Twombley,
was born in Portland in 18 19, and died in that
city May 15, 1873. He was educated in the
public schools, after leaving which he learned
the trade of painter and decorator, and fol-
lowed that occupation successfully for twenty
years, and retired from business on account of
failing health, having accumulated a handsome
property. He was a Democrat in politics, but
never sought office or took a conspicuous part
in public affairs. ' In religious affiliation he

Of the disproportionately large
SHAW number of Shaws who settled in

the New England colonies before
1650, Roger Shaw, if in New England as early
as 1630, as claimed, is the earliest. To him a
multitude of their descendants trace their

(I) Roger Shaw, immigrant, came to this
country about 1630. The compiler of the
"Shaw Notes" gives him as the son of Ralph
Shaw. The Register of St. Peter's, Cornhill,
London. England, has the following entry :
"1594, Sept. 1st, Sunday. Christening of
Roger Shaw, sonne of Ralph Shaw, Vintnor,
at the Sunne on Cornhill, born Monday, 26th
of August." By this record the occupation of
Ralph was that of "X'intnor." and Roger the
immigrant was a vintner and keeper of an
ordinary. The similarity of occupations tends
to prove this relationship. Roger Shaw first
settled in Cambridge, Massachusetts, was in at-
tendance on the general court in 1636, was
made freeman in 1638, having bought one
hundred acres of land and built a house on
Arrow street. He served on the jury 1639,
was town clerk 1640, and selectman 1641-45.
Roger's name appears among the petitioners
forthe incorporation of Hampton, New Hamp-
shire. The town was incorporated 1639. He
bought land of John Crosse in the new town
in 1640; in 1647 he ^^'^s granted a large tract
of land of King Charles First; in 1648 sold
his property in Cambridge and removed to
Hampton. He was a very prominent man ;
was representative to the general court 1651-
=,^^, selectman 1649 and 1654, and filled many
other offices, was appointed commissioner for
trying small cases 1651, was chairman of a
committee to re-examine the book of town
land grants, and to lay out highways 1658.
He was vintnor and keeper of the ordinary,
and was authorized by the general court to
sell liquors. He died May 29, 1661. His
first wife Ann was the mother of all his chil-
dren. He married (second) Susanna Tilton,
widow of William Tilton, of Lynn. His chil-
dren were : Margaret, Joseph, Ann, Esther,
Mary (died young), Benjamin and Deliver-

(II) Benjamin, youngest son of Roger



Shaw, was born in Cambridge, Alassachusetts,
in 1 64 1. He lived with his father on the home-
stead, but was also a merchant and blacksmith.
His account book is still in existence, and is
an interesting relic of this very remarkable
man. As soon as possible after the first saw-
mill was built in that region (about 1658), he
built a new frame house, which was con-
structed so as to be used as a garrison in
times of war — was two stories in height and
was afterwards enlarged and improved by his
son Edward, but early in the fifties of the last
century it was demolished by his descendants
to make room for a modern structure. His
name appears on the list of voters prepared by
the president and council in 1680, from that
of the selectmen of each town in New Hamp-
shire when it was a royal province, each one
named therein being eligible to the oflice of
councilman and privileged to vote in their
meetings. He is said to have had great in-
genuity and skill in mechanics, and though the
possessor of great wealth for those days, made
the gravestone which still marks his grave. In
his will dated December 26, 1717, he mentions
five sons and six daughters ; he died, accord-
ing to family records, December 31, 1717, but
according to the inscription on his gravestone,
January 17, 1718. His widow Esther was
generously remembered in his will, and lived
on the homestead with her son Edward, the
two being named therein as executors of that
instrument. He married, May 25, 1663,
Esther, daughter of Ezekiel and Susannah
Richardson. She died May 16, 1736, at the
age of ninety-six years. Their twelve chil-
dren were: Mary, Esther, Sarah, Abigail,
Ruth, Benjamin. Roger, Joseph, Edward (died
young), Edward, John and Hannah.

(Ill) John, eleventh child and sixth son of
Benjamin and Esther (Richardson) Shaw,
was living at the time of his father's death,
and received a bequest in his will made in 1717.
There is no further record of him.

"John Shaw, who died in Holderness, New
Hampshire, at the age of 103 yrs., is said to
have come from England to New Hampshire
early in the 18th century, and settled in that
part of Durham which was incorporated Jan.
6, 1766, as the town of Lee. In spite of this
tradition, however, after a large and fruitless
search for particulars regarding the fate of
John, the son of Benjamin Shaw, the youngest
son of Roger Shaw, immigrant from England
prior to 1636, who was remembered in hi?
father's will made in 171 7, but never after-
ward traced with any certainty by genealo-
gists." says Harriette F. Farwell, compiler of

the "Shaw Records," "it is believed that the
latter may yet be identified as the John first
mentioned above, having moved from Hamp-
ton, N. H., where Roger and his son Ben-
jamin, with others to localities theretofore un-
settled and farther removed from the seacoast
and civilization. The date of this son's birth
must have been between 1680 and i6go." John
Shaw, of Lee, New Hampshire, was a man
of sterling qualities morally, and of the most
vigorous constitution physically — never having
been sick a day in his life, passing away sud-
denly and painlessly at the close of a day's la-
bor at chopping wood. When in his one hun-
dredth year he made a profession of religion
and was baptized, being then in full possession
of all his mental and physical faculties. He
married Mercy Vernet, and though little has
been ascertained concerning the family of this
couple, they were known to have had four
sons : John, Samuel, Daniel and George.

(lY) Daniel, son of John and Mercy (Ver-
net) Shaw, was born in Lee, New Hampshire,
and lived in Lee and Tamworth. He married
in Kittery. Maine, Elizabeth Staples, by whom
he had eight children, whose names follow,
though they are not known to be recorded in
their natural order: James, Olive, Daniel,
Elizabeth, Mary. Hannah. Samuel and Noah.

(V) Daniel (2), third child and second son
of Daniel ( i) (the History of Industry, Maine,
calls him Samuel) and Elizabeth (Staples)
Shaw, was born in Lee, StrafiEord county.
New Hampshire, April 16. 1784, and died in
Industry, November 28, 1852. He removed
to Industry, Maine, about the time of his mar-
riage, and settled and made a farm of several
hundred acres. He was a man of much busi-
ness ability and held in high esteem by his
townsmen. He became an extensive drover
and dealer in country produce, which he often
shipped east to the British Provinces, from
Wiscasset, or to such other points as prom-
ised the most favorable market. He had thus
accumulated about $10,000 in ready money
when the great land speculation craze of 1835
occurred. Though naturally very cautious in
business transactions, he was at length drawn
into speculative transactions from which he
emerged a ruined man. He moved to Bangor
about 1836, and continued in the stock and
produce business in connection with farming.
He married in Kittery, February 7, 1814,
Elizabeth Staples, born March 9, 1787, and
died in Industry, July 29, 1827. He married
(second) (published June 10, 1831), .-Mice
(Lewis) Fernald, widow of Jonathan Fernald,
of Cherryfield, Maine. She died in Bangor,



April 8, i860. His children, all by first wife,
were: Albert, Daniel, Sarah Gilman, Benja-
min Oilman, Emily Newell, Milton Gilman,
two sons (died young), Adeline and Mehit-

(VI) Milton Gilman, sixth child and fourth
son of Daniel (2) and Elizabeth (Staples)
Shaw, was born in Industry, December 31.
1820, and died in Bath, December 18, 1903.
He lived on the farm his father had cleared
until he was twenty-five years old. When a
young man, just setting out in life, he w-ent to
Chicago, performing a large part of the jour-
ney on foot. At that time the great metropolis
of the west was but a small place and offered
him no inducement to stay, and he returned to
]\Iaine. In 1841 he went into the woods and
engaged in farming and lumbering at Green-
ville and at Flagstaff, where Benedict Arnold
camped and raised his flag on his famous
march to Quebec. Mr. Shaw's first work was
for his brothers, Albert and Daniel, the latter
afterward became prominent on the Chippewa
river in Wisconsin, and it was not till 1845
that he began business for himself. In the
fall of that year he located at Greenville, on
the southern end of Moosehead Lake, which
was ever afterward the headquarters of his
operations. His business was logging and sell-
ing logs, both pine and spruce, and he lived
there forty years, engaged also in farming
and commercial pursuits. In 1849 he began
buying land. He bought with others and for
himself alone. He did not begin the manu-
facture until 1883, when he with his sons went
to Bath to build the now massive Shaw mill
which gives constant employment to eight}-
men and annually manufactures several mil-
lion feet of logs into long and short lumber,
such as boards, clapboards, shingles and lath.
Mr. Shaw had many partners during his long
business career, but his associates in his later
years were his sons, Charles D., Albert H. and
William M., the second named, Albert H.,
was general manager of the Bath business, the
other two residing at Greenville. The M. G.
Shaw Lumber Company was incorporated in
1897, with Milton G. Shaw, president, Albert
H. Shaw, treasurer and manager, and William
M. Shaw, clerk. Mr. Shaw's lumbering ex-
perience covered the whole of what may be
called, for lack of a better term, the modern
history of lumbering in Maine. When he be-
gan his career in the early forties the pine on
the Moosehead had been pretty well culled.
During the first four^years, during which he
was working for his brothers, from 1841 to
1845, when he began logging on his own ac-

count, began the felling of spruce, the latter
being soon the most important part of the
business, though some pine has been cut every
year down to this date. As before stated, Mr.
Shaw's first purchase of land was in 1849,
w-hen he bought a half-interest in fifteen hun-
dred acres at twenty-five cents an acre. Shortly
after that, he with ex-(]overnor Coburn, Jo-
seph Bradstreet, Elias Milliken and a Mr.
Drummond, bought land for which they paid
$1.25 and $1.50 an acre. Those lands, after
being cut over again, are now worth $3 to $5
an acre, and some of them more. In the early
fifties the best pine then remaining on Moose-
head waters could be bought for about a dollar
a thousand. Now the timber, cutting every-
thing of log size, and with very little pine in it,
is worth $3 to $6 a thousand. When Mr.
Shaw began his operations the sawmills were
equipped with the old style sash saw. Later
came the Muley and gang, and it w^as not
until about i860 that the rotary or circular saw-
began its appearance in the mills of Maine.
Later still came the band, which is now the
leading sawing tool in all the larger mills.
For more than sixty years Mr. Shaw was a
prominent figure on Moosehead lake and the
Kennebec river. His logs went steadilv to
market every year after 1845, ^nd he not only
built up a handsome fortune for himself, but
in the timber holdings of himself and the com-
pany there was the foundation for a business
of indefinite duration. One of his sons, in
speaking of the matter, said : "At our present
rate we shall never cut our timber." The rule
adopted by the company in logging was to cut
nothing less than eight inches in top diameter
in twenty-foot lengths or seven inches in diam-
eter in thirty-foot lengths. This means prac-
tically twelve inches on the stump. The effi-
cacy of this method of logging is shown by the
fact that Mr. Shaw cut several times over the
same land. Coupled with this method of fell-
ing was an exceptional degree of care in
guarding against fire, with the result that a
very few thousand dollars — perhaps a few hun-
dred dollars — would cover the entire loss by
forest fires. Mr. Shaw was also interested in
Maine hotels on an extensive scale during his
life, having built the Moosehead House at
Greenville with Josiah Hinckley, his father-in-
law. This hotel was successfully conducted
until at last it burned. Mr. Shaw then built a
new and much larger hotel on the same site
which he conducted for a year. He was also
interested in the great industrial development
at Rumford Falls several years ago, and be-
sides erecting the largest hotel in the place, he



also owned a large amount of real estate there.
While a resident of Greenville he did a great
deal in the way of building up the town, and
filled at different times all the town offices of
any importance, and was a member of the
Maine legislature in 1859. He w^as a strong,
conservative business man, keeping close con-
trol of his vast business interests until about
ten davs before his death. He was for many
years president of the First National Bank of
Bath, and was also a director in the Bath
Trust Company and the Rumford Falls Trust

Milton G. Shaw married, in Greenville.
June 6. 1847. Eunice Spinney, born in In-
dustrv, INlaine. January 6, 1824, daughter of
Josiah and Xancy (WiUiams) Hinckley, of
Industry. Children, born in Greenville: i.
Mellen,"May 27, 1849, married, September 19,
1875, W. Ella Mitchell ; he died March 4, 1880.
2. Ellen, February i, 185 1, died April 20,
1863. 3. Charles D., April 5, 1852, married,
October 25, 1875, Clara F. Norcross. 4.
Frank, June 27, 1855, died May 16, 1867. 5.
Fred (twin to Frank), June 27, 1855, died
January 27, 1856. 6. Albert H., April 21,
1857, married, August 19, 1879, Martha E.
Mansell, and resides in Bath; hevvas engaged
in lumbering and mercantile business with his
father. 7. William M., March 3, 1861, mar-
ried. October 24, 1S85, Ida J. Mansell, and
was a member of the firm of M. G. Shaw &
Sons. 8. George M., February 20. 1863, died
the following August. 9. Mary Emma, Sep-
tember 6, 1865, married, October 19, 1892,
Frederick H. Kimball, and resides in Bath.

This name is also spelled Maxey
MAXCY and Maxy in the Massachusetts
records, and the family were
quite numerous around Attleboro in the early
part of the eighteenth century. The most
noted member of the family in early times was
Rev. Jonathan Maxcy, second president of
Brown University, of Rhode Island. Among
the other members of the family are to be
found soldiers, physicians and other profes-
sional men.

(I) Alexander Maxcy, with his children and
his wife Abigail, removed from Gloucester to
Attleboro, Massachusetts, about 1721, and
there became proprietor of a public house ; he
died September 20, 1723. He had five chil-
dren : Alexander, Joseph, Josiah, Mary and
Benjamin. Josiah married Marj' Everett and
had eleven children ; his second son, Levi, be-
came the father of Dr. Jonathan ]\Taxcy, who
became president of Brown University at the

early age of twenty-four years, and of X'irgil
P., who graduated from Brown University.

(II) Joseph, son of Alexander and Abigail
Maxcy, was a resident of Attleboro, Massa-
chusetts. He had a son Benjamin and prob-
ably others.

(III) Lieutenant Benjamin, son of Joseph
Maxcy, was born May 11, 1740, at Attleboro,
Massachusetts, and in 1791 moved to Union.
Maine, where he died July 26, 1791. He mar-
ried (first) Sarah Fuller, by whom he had
three children, and (second) Amy, daughter
of Nathaniel Ide, of Attleboro, by whom he
had four children. Amy (Ide) Maxcy was
drowned in May, 1793, at Union, Maine.
Lieutenant Benjamin's children were: i. Ma-
jor Joseph. 2. josiah. 3. Benjamin, born July
16, 1772, married Esther Fuller. 4. Sally,
born November 20, 1778, married Ebenezer
Daggett. 5. Lydia, born March 26, 1780, was
drowned at the same time as her mother. 6.
Harvey, born April 30, 1782-83, married
Sally Eastman. 7. Amy, born October 26,
1784, married Joel Reed.

(IV) Josiah, second son of Lieutenant Ben-
jamin and Sarah (Fuller) IMaxcy, was born
July 25, 1766, and removed to Maine from
Attleboro, Massachusetts ; he died October 4,
1829. He married (first) Chloe, daughter of
Mayhevv Daggett, born April 15, 1769, at At-
tleboro, Alassachusetts, and drowned in May,
1793. He married (second) in 1794, Sally
Pickering. In 1811 Mr. Maxcy removed
from L'nion to Warren, Maine, where he died.
His children were: i. Smith. 2. Chloe, mar-
ried Jason Davis. 3. Ward, married Mary
Jones. 4. Harvey, born March 8, 1801, mar-
ried Olive Andrew's. 5. Mary, married Will-
iam Andrews. 6. Anna, married Addison
Libbey. 7. Daniel, married Catherine Blood.
8. Micajah G., married (first) Elizabeth
Blood, (second) Nancy Walker and (third)
Mrs. Sarah Leach.

(V) Smith, eldest son of Josiah and Sally
(Pickering) Maxcy, was born February 3,
1795, died November 14, 1872; in 183S he re-
moved to Gardiner, Maine. He married (first)
in 1819, Clarissa Boggs, who died in 1839,
and (second) Mary F. Crane. His children
were : Josiah, Ira, Angelina, Matilda and San-

(VI) Captain Ira, second son of Smith and
Clarissa (Boggs) Maxcy, was a sea captain,
and married Sarah A., daughter of Thomas
and Abigail (Day) Fuller; he died October
7, 1869, and his wife October 25, 1869, both
of them being about eighty years of age.
Thomas Fuller, born February 29, 1789, was



a son of Edward and Mary (Jones) Fuller,
who were the parents of eight other children,
namely: Abigail, born 1773; Olive, 1778;
Catherine. 1780: Edward, 1783; Allen, 1786;

Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 9 of 128)