George Thomas Little.

Genealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) online

. (page 97 of 128)
Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 97 of 128)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


various manufacturers, and for several years
was superintendent of a boot and shoe factory
at West Auburn. In politics he was an ear-
nest and active Republican, of large influence
in his party, but he never sought office for
himself. Throughout his life was a constant
attendant at the Free Baptist church, and a
willing worker in the church to the extent of
his means and ability. He married (first) El-
len Briggs ; (second) Esther Clapp, born
January 25, 1849, at East Wilton, daughter of
Luther R. Chaney, of East Wilton, Maine.
Children of first wife: i. Bert L., born
March 17, i860, at North Auburn, died Jan-
uary, 1904, at Auburn; married Carrie E. Co-
burn ; child : Everett Willis, born at Auburn,
October 2, 1891. 2. Alice, born June 17, 1864;
married Dr. C. F. McDonald, of Boston. Child
of second wife: 3. Harley Roscal, 'mentioned
below.

(IX) Harley Roscal, son of Nelson Alden,
was born in Auburn, Maine, July 4, 1876, and
was educated there in the public schools and
the Lhiiversity of Maine. He then took up the
study of pharmacy in the Philadelphia College
of Pharmacy, receiving his degree as Doctor
of Pharmacy in igoi. He was with the drug
firm of Pollard & Company, Philadelphia, for
four years, and pharmacist in the City Hos-
pital of Philadelphia during the next two
years. He was in business as a druggist from
1905 to 1907 at Portland, Maine, and in May,



2126



STATE OF MAINE.



1907, bought the drug store of Thomas &
Lunt, at Freeport, Maine, where he now re-
sides. In pohtics Dr. .\lden is a RepubUcan.
In rehgion he is a Baptist. He is a member
of the College of Pharmacists, the Kappa
Sigma and Phi Chi fraternities, and is a Ma-
son. He married, May 24, 1905, Lydia Scott
Watson, of Milford, Delaware. They have
two children : Elizabeth Elwood, born in
Portland, Maine, June 29, 1906 and Esther
Priscilla, born in Freeport, Maine, October 19,

1907-

This name is said to have been
CLARV originally written Cleary, Clery
and O'Clery, and to have been
derived from the Gaelic Cleirach, meaning a
clerk, clergyman or writer. There was a
noted family of O'Clerys, the historians, who
lived at the Castle of Kilbarron, county Done-
gal, Ireland. In the troublous times of early
Irish history, this family dwelt in a lonely,
insulated fortress where they devoted them-
selves to the laborious preservation of the his-
tory, poetry and antitiuities of their people. It
is possible that the patronymic Clary may have
had another origin less primitive than that
connected with these ancient historians. In
the time of Charles the Second, when so many
French Huguenots fled for protection to Eng-
land and Ireland, we find the name of Clary
among those which were naturalized at that
period. There seems to have been but one
early Clary in the Colonial history of this
country. We find from Savage's researches
that John Clary, of Watertown, Massachu-
setts, married Sarah Cady, February 5, 1644.
They had a son, John (2), who married Ann
Dickinson at Northfield, Massachusetts, in
1670, and the latter couple had three children:
John (3), Joseph and Mary. It is probably
from these antecedents that Rev. Joseph Clary,
fourteenth pastor of the First Church at
Dover, New Hampshire, is descended. This
clergyman held his pastorate during the early
part of the nineteenth century, and was con-
nected with several historic families. Rev.
Joseph Ward Clary was born at Rowe, Mas-
sachusetts, in 1786, and married Anna, daugh-
ter of Judge Timothy Farrar. Judge Farrar
was for more than forty years a judge of the
higher courts of New Hampshire, and lived
to be one hundred and one years of age. He
was for a long period the oldest living repre-
sentative of Harvard, having survived all the
revolutionary graduates of that institution.
(I) According to the History of New Ips-



wich, New Hampshire, William Clary or Mc-
Clary and his brother Daniel settled in that
town in 1751. They came originally from the
north of Ireland, and first established them-
selves in Lunenburg, Massachusetts, whence
they moved to New Ipswich. Traditions about
their fun-loving propensities and jokes are still
extant, and their history seems closely inter-
twined. Daniel Clary had a revolutionary rec-
ord. He was one of the company who marched
from New Ipswich before daylight on the
morning of April 20, 1775; and two years
later. May 8, 1777, we find that he marched
three hundred miles in the expedition against
Ticonderoga. At this time he served forty-
eight days as a member of Captain Josiah
Brown's company. Colonel Enoch Hale's regi-
ment of militia. John Clary, eldest child of
William, though only a boy of seventeen, en-
listed in the same year as his Uncle Daniel.
John Clary belonged to Captain Edmund Bri-
ant's company. Colonel Daniel Moore's regi-
ment, which marched from New Ipswich and
joined the continental army from Saratoga.
He served from September 28, 1777, to Octo-
ber 23 of that year. According to the New
Hampshire Rolls these are the only Clarys
who had a revolutionary record, though the
History of New Ipswich erroneously states
that William and three of his sons marched to
Concord at the time of the fight.

William Clary moved to Belfast, Alaine,
soon after the revolution. He had a wife Mar-
garet, whose maiden name is unknown, and
there were ten children, all born in New Ips-
wich. The children were : John, born March
31. 1760, whose revolutionary service has been
mentioned; William, April 26, 1763; Daniel,
whose sketch follows; David, October 31,
1767; James, December 31, 1769; Isaac, March
I, 1772; Jacob, April 9, 1775; Jacob S., Feb-
ruary 20, 1776; Margaret, May 2, 1778;
William, June 27, 1781.

Daniel Clary, brother to William, had a wife
Catherine, whose maiden name is unknown,
and there were six children : Barbary, born in
1767; Ehzabeth, 1770; Margaret, 1772; Dan-
iel, 1774: Sarah, 1776; Mary, 1778. Accord-
ing to the History of New Ipswich, Daniel
Clary met with an accidental death in conse-
quence of his frolicsome spirit. At the raising
of the barn of Deacon E. Adams in 1780, he
climbed to the ridge-pole and undertook to
stand on his head, as he had often done on
those occasions. This time proved once too
often, and he lost his balance and his life. One
family tradition says that it was William and



STATE OF MAINE.



2127



not Daniel, who was killed in this way: but
the probabilities are that, in this instance, the
History of New Ipswich is correct.

(II) Captain Daniel, third son of William
and Margaret Clary, was born at New Ips-
wich, New Hampshire, June 9, 1765, and died
at Brooks, Maine, February 23, 1829. The
History of Belfast, ^Maine, says that he came
from Gorham about 1794, and settled at
Clary's Point, now City Point, in Belfast. He
lived some years at the Point, which was
named for him, and his name appears two or
three times in the history in connection with
bounds of land. He probably moved to Brooks
during his later years.

(III) James, son of Captain Daniel Clary,
was born at Belfast, Elaine, during the early
part of the nineteenth century. He moved to
Brooks, Maine, where he spent most of his
life ; but the date of his death is unknown.
James Clary married Matilda Ellis, daughter
of Joseph Ellis, of Brooks. They had seven
children : Ellen. Nahum E.. whose sketch fol-
lows ; James, Minda, Abbie, Charles and Alice.
Mrs. Matilda (Ellis) Clary had a severe ex-
perience in early life. \\'hen she was eigh-
teen years of age a fire broke out which de-
stroyed the whole village of Brooks, includ-
ing the Ellis house. Matilda escaped by jump-
ing from a window, but the other children and
the hired man were burned to death.

(lY) Nahum Ellis, eldest son of James and
Matilda (Ellis) Clary, was born at Brooks,
Maine, April 5, 1844. He attended the public
schools of that town till the breaking out of
the civil war when he ran away and enlisted.
Owing to his extreme youth, his father went
out after him and brought him home. When
he was nineteen, Nahum E. re-enlisted in the
Twenty-sixth Maine Volunteers and served
eleven months. Upon his return to Brooks
he engaged in farming, which has been his
chief occupation since. He is an Independent
in politics, and has served as selectman for
several years, and also as tax collector. Nahum
Ellis Clary married Isadora Burns, daughter
of Isaac Burns, of Waldo, Maine. Five chil-
dren have been born to them ; Albra J., Octo-
ber, 1873; Isaac Burns, whose sketch follows;
Birchard A., November 14, 1878 ; Matilda E.,
1886, married Fred Littlefield, of Waldo; and
Mildred, 1888.

(V) Isaac Burns, second son of Nahum E.
and Isadora (Burns) Clary, was born May 2,
1877, at Brooks, !\Iaine. He attended the pub-
lic schools of Waldo, and was graduated from
the Castine Normal school in the class of 1897.
This educational course was not attained with-



out some difficulty. When a boy of seventeen,
Isaac P>. Clary left home to make his way in the
world and started to go to normal school with
only fifty dollars on hand; this sum he had
saved from his work as messenger in court.
By securing a place with Dr. Wheeler he pro-
vided for his expenses, so that he was able to
complete his course. After graduation he en-
tered upon canvassing and teaching, remain-
ing two years in the latter occupation. At the
end of this time he began reading law in the
office of John Maxwell ; but after two years of
study he was convinced that a course in a law
school would be of great assistance. Accord-
ingly, he entered the Boston Law School, ac-
complished in one year the course of three, and
obtained his diploma in 1904. During this
time he taught in the evening school at Chel-
sea. The following year he returned to the
law school, and in three months received his
degree of B. A. He wa-; admitted to the bar.
February 18. 1904, and was admitted to the
United States circuit court, December 2, 1906.
Immediately after passing the state examina-
tion, Mr. Clary began the practice of law at
Livermore Falls, and since 1903 has been clerk
and town treasurer. He is a Republican in
politics, and attends the Baptist church. He
belongs to the Blue Lodge, Masons, Royal
Arch Chapter and Council. He is also a mem-
ber of the Knights of Pythias, and has filled all
chairs. On August 10, 1899, Isaac Burns
Clary married Cora Isabelle, daughter of
Judge Cyrus and Ellen (Luce) Knapp, of
Livermore Falls.



(For preceding generations see John Hill I.)

(IV) Edward Hill, youngest child
HILL of William and Elizabeth ( Buffum)
Hill, was born in North Berwick,
May 13, 1840. After concluding his studies
at the South Berwick Academy he entered
business life in New York City, where he ac-
quired excellent training, and in 1871 became
associated with his brother under the firm
name of Charles E. Hill and Company, tea
importers, having a branch office in Chicago.
He continued in that business some fifteen
years and selling his interest in the firm at the
expiration of that time he went to England as
foreign agent of Messrs. Daniel W. Richards
and Company, iron dealers, of New York
Citv. establishing his headquarters in Liver-
pool. He was subsequently admitted to part-
nership and continued with this concern for
six vears. Disposing of his iron interest he
accepted the position of purchasing agent for
one of the \"anderbilt railroad lines and re-



2128



STATE OF MAINE.



tained it for four years, during which time he
resided in Cleveland, Ohio. He next became
general sales agent of the Pickering Spring
Company of New York, manufacturers of
railway springs, with headquarters in the
metropolis, and when that concern lost its
identity through absorption by a "trust" or
combination, he severed his connection witK
that business. Being a business man of rec-
ognized integrity and varied practical experi-
ence his ability was in demand, and his ser-
vices were secured by the Composite Board
Company, organized for the purpose of manu-
facturing boards from wood pulp for inside
finish. Elected president of this company by
its board of directors he established an ex-
tensive suite of offices in New York City,
erected the company's plant at Niagara Falls
and has ever since devoted his time and ener-
gies to developing the business, which has now
become both large and profitable. Mr. Hill
resides in Yonkers-on-the-Hudson. Politi-
cally he acts with the Republican party. In
his religious belief he is a Universalist. He
married, May 2, 1866, Ellen H. Hodgdon,
daughter of Moses A. and Abigail Hodgdon,
of Weare, New Hampshire (see Hodgdon).
Children: i. Ellen Elizabeth, born in 1869, a
graduate of Smith College. 2. Edward Buf-
fum, 1879, ^ graduate of Yale University. 3.
Anna May, 1881. a graduate of Br}n ilawr
College. 4. Abbie Gertrude, 1885, a gradu-
ate of Brvn Mawr College.



William Hodgdon, who was
HODGDON born in England, emigrated
to New England in 1634.
(N. B. The History of Weare, New Hamp-
shire, gives no further information relative to
this immigrant.)

(II) Jeremiah, probably a son of William
Hotlgdon. was rcsitling in Portsmouth in 1661.

(III) Israel, son of Jeremiah Hodgdon,
moved to Dover in i6g6. He married Anna
Wingate and had two children : Israel, see
next paragraph ; and Shadrack, born in 1709.

(IV) Israel (2), eldest son of Israel (i)
and Anna (Wingate) Hodgdon, was born
March 25, 1697. ^^^ lived on the west side of
Back river in Dover. He married (first) Han-
nah, daughter of John Hanson, of Dover;
(second) Mary Johnson, who died September
13, 1781. He died April 18. 1781. Of his first
union there were three children : Sarah, Tim-
othy and Caleb. Those of his second marriage
were: Edward, Israel, Peter. John, Abigail
and Moses.

(V) John, third son of Israel and Mary



(Johnson) Hodgdon, was born in Dover,
April 22, 1745. He married Susannah, daugh-
ter of Joseph and Elizabeth Hussey, of Som-
ersworth, New Hampshire, in 1724, and re-
moved to Weare about 1775. They had two
children : Moses and Abigail.

(VI) Moses, eldest child of John and Su-
sannah (Hussey) Hodgdon, was born in
Dover, August 22, 1773. He married (first)
Dorcas Neal Dow, in 1797; (second) Hannah
Austin, who died October 10, 1859. His first
wife bore him five children : Abigail, Alary,
Susannah, Anna and Dorcas Neal; the only
child of his second marriage was Moses Aus-
tin.

(VII) Moses Austin, only child of Moses
and Hannah (Austin) Hodgdon, was born
June 7, 1817. He married (first) in 1842,
Abigail, daughter of Israel and Anna (Aus-
tin) Peaslee, and she died November 3, 1852.
He married (second) 1859, Julia Anna,
daughter of Enoch and Sophronia (Foster)
Paige, of Danvers, Massachusetts. Of his first
union there was one child, Ellen H.

CVIII) Ellen H., only child of Moses A.
and Abigail (Peaslee) Hodgdon, was born in
Weare, June 29, 1844, married, May 2, 1866,
Edward Hill (see Hill).



Joseph Bradley, immigrant
BRADLEY ancestor, was born in London,
England, in 1649, and settled
in Haverhill, Massachusetts, in 1659. He mar-
ried, April 4, 1691, Hannah Heath, of Haver-
hill. The fifth garrison was in his house and
under his command. During an Indian raid
his son Isaac, aged fifteen, and Joseph Whit-
taker, aged eleven, were taken captive while in
the open fields near Joseph Bradley's house on
Parsonage road near the north brook. Whit-
taker's house was on the Derry road west of
Bradley's. Joseph was large, overgrown and
exceedingly clumsy. On their arrival at the
Indian camp at the lake, the boys were placed
in an Indian, family, consisting of a man,
squaw, and three or more children, the Indians
intending to take them to Canada in the spring.
Isaac contracted a fever, from which he nearly
died, the kindness and care of the squaw alone
saving his life. But upon his recovery he
planned his escape, managed to get awav with
his companion and ran all night to the south-
ward. The Indians of course pursued the boys,
and next day their dogs found the wretched
youngsters. They gave the meat they had
taken for food to the dogs, and as the dogs
knew the boys they gave no evidence of dis-
covering the hiding place when their masters



STATE OF :\IAIXE.



2129



appeared, the boys being hidden in a hollow
log. Some days later they came upon an In-
dian camp and were greatly disheartened at
running into this new danger. They contin-
ued almost without food or clothing for eight
days. On the morning of the eighth dav Jo-
seph sank down exhausted and his companion
went forward alone. Soon afterward lie dis-
covered a settler's camp and returned to save
him. Joseph was sick for a long time at Saco,
but Isaac returned to Haverhill soon.

(I) Levi Bradley, descendant of Joseph
Bradley, mentioned above, was a pioneer in
Maine. He settled in Charleston. Among his
children was Levi, mentioned below.

(II) Levi (2), son of Levi (i) Bradley,
was born in Charleston. He was educated in
the public schools, and early in life engaged in
the lumber business, which he followed all his
active years at Bangor, and was among the
most prominent and successful men of his day.
He married Annette Best. Children: i. Child,
died in infancy. 2. Henry Russell, mentioned
below.

(III) Henry Russell, only son of Levi (2)
Bradley, was born in Bangor, October 29,
1861. He attended the public schools of his
native city and at the Adams School in Bruns-
wick, Maine, entering Bowdoin College, where
he was graduated in the class of 1884. He
went west and for two years engaged in lum-
bering and the lumber trade at Milwaukee,
Wisconsin. He returned to Bangor and has
continued in the same line of business since
then. He incorporated his business in 1902
under the name of the Bradley Land and Lum-
ber Company, of which he is the president and
treasurer. He married Florence Merriman,
daughter of J. P. Merriman, of Baltimore,
Maryland. Children, born at Bangor : Mar-
garet and Frances.



This name is variously spelled
LAWRY Laurie, Lowrie, Laurey and

Lawry. Garren Lawrie, William
Penn and Nicholas Lucas were trustees of the
patent of West New Jersey, the same being
conveyed to them in trust to satisfy the cred-
itors of Edward Byllinger in 1676. In Salem.
Massachusetts Bay Colony, we find a record
June, 1666, of the will of Francis Laurie dated
November 6, 1665. His estate appears to have
gone into the family of his daughter Mary,
who married John Neale, their son, Jeremiah,
Neale, and no male descendant. Samuel
Lawry, born probably in Friendship, Knox

county, Maine, married Betsy Ann : lived

in Rock, Elaine, a joiner. Gilbert Laurie,



of Boston, in 1686 went to Portsmouth, where
he was a preacher in the absence of Mr.
Moody. Robert Lawry was born in Friend-
ship, Maine, September 10, 1799, and removed
to Warren, Maine, in 1827. His first wife was
Susan Spear, to whom he was married Janu-
ary 4, 1827; his second wife, Mrs. Elizabeth
Gay, the date of their marriage being Febru-
ary 18, 1830, and his third wife Lucy L. Watts,
their marriage taking place March 21, 1842.
He resided in North Warren and the children
by his first wife were: i. Belinda, born No-
vember 16, 1827, married, in 1859, John Stud-
ley, and lived in Union. 2. William, February
21, 1829, died August 21, 1S31. By his second
wife he had: 3. Robert M., Januarv 4, 1832,
married Emma K. Walker, of Hamden, Octo-
ber _ 25, 1857, and resided in Thomaston,
Maine. 4. Jane C, February 14, 1834, resided
in Warren. The mother of these two children
died October 6, 1841, aged forty-six years. His
third wife had one child, William L., March
I, 1844, married Emma J. Crawford, Novem-
ber 20, 1874, and they resided in the family
homestead at Warren. The children of Rich-
ard M. Lawry were : Elwin H., 1859-60 ; Ir-
win M., 1861-62; Alma J., born October 2,
1863, a'l^l Milton W., December 9, 1871, all
born in Thurston. Maine. The child of Will-
iam L. Lawry was : Minnie E., born in War-
ren, October 18, 1875. It does not appear that
the Lawrys above named are directly con-
nected with the family from which Charles A.
Lawry, of Fairfield, Connecticut, comes, but
the information may help them in tracing the
line of descent. The family is apparently of
Scotch descent and the first New England
families of Massachusetts represented by the
immigrant, Francis Laurie, who made his will
in 1666 and Gilbert Laurie, of Boston, who
went to Portsmouth in 1686, are undoubtedly
of the same family of Robert Lowry, of War-
ren, Maine, and probably of Waterman Lawry,
of Anson, Maine. For the purpose of this
sketch, we begin with Otis W., son of Water-
man Lawry.

(I) Otis W., son of Waterman Lawry, of
Anson, Somerset county, Maine, was brought
up in that town and learned the trade of tailor,
being apprenticed to Gene Collins of his native
town. He was a journeyman tailor for a time
and he then removed to Fairfield, Maine,
where he engaged in the clothing business in
copartnership with Mr. Vickery, the firm name
being Vickery & Lawry, merchant tailors and
dealers in ready made clothing. His next ven-
ture was made in the lumbering business, and
at the same time with the proceeds from his



2I30



STATE OF MAINE.



interests in the clothing business which he
sold he purchased the retail furniture business
of F. P. Wing, which he continued up to the
time of his death. He was a Democrat in
politics, and his religious faith was that of the
Universalist denomination of Christians. His
fraternal affiliations were membership in Cy-
lume Lod^e, Ancient Free and Accepted Ma-
sons, of Fairfield, Maine; the St. Omer Com-
niandery, Knights Templar, of Waterville,
Maine. He married (first) Betsy Pelton, of
Anson, and had one child, Silas T. Lawry, who
died young. His wife died and he married
(second) Rebecca T. Lozier, of Fairfield,
Maine, and their children were : Maneria,
Charles A. (q. v.), and John P. Lawry. Re-
becca T. (Lozier) Lawry died in August, 1882,
in Fairfield, and he married (third) Mary L.
Churchill, a native of \'ermont, and she died
in Fairfield, Maine, childless. He died in Fair-
field, July 31, 1888.

(H) Charles Ansel, son of Otis W. and Re-
becca T. (Lozier) Lawry, was born in Fair-
field, Maine, August 31. 1868. He attended the
public schools of Fairfield, and became a clerk
and salesman in the furniture store of his
father, and at the death of his father in 1888
the business was left to his brother, John P.
Lawry, and himself, although he, who was the
elder, was not of age, and his brother three
years from his majority. They established
themselves as Lawry Brothers and on Xovcm-
ber 19, 1907. caused the business to be incor-
porated as the Lawry Brothers Company and
John P. Lawry was elected president, and
Charles Ansel Lawry treasurer of the corpora-
tion. Mr. Lawry was elected a Democratic
member of the school board of Fairfield, as-
sessor of the corporation. He was initiated as
a member of Cylume Lodge of Ancient Free
and Accepted Alasons of Fairfield, of which
his father had been during his lifetime an hon-
ored member, and he also became a member of
Fairfield Lodge, No. 68, Independent Order of
Odd Fellows. He was brought up in the Con-
gregational church and Sunday school. He
married, October, 1893, Hannah E., daughter
of Emerson and Abby A. (Chase) Whitten,
born in June. 1872. Children: Emerson C,
born in Fairfield, Maine ; Ormond W. and
John A.



Among the old Maine families
HANEY whose residence in that part of

New England dates to the period
of the revolutionary war is that of the sur-
name Haney, a name now very well and favor-
ably known in the state and one whose bearers



always have been counted as men of character
and worth, men of integrity, industrious,
earnest and progressive. The Maine Haneys
of the line here considered are on Irish stock,
the immigrant having come from Ireland
sometime about the revolution. The name of
this ancestor appears to have become lost, but
the unrlisputed family tradition is that he set-
tled and lived in the vicinity of Castine, and
died there. Nor is his occupation known, al-
though he is supposed to have been a seafaring
man, as were several of his descendants after
him.

(II) William S. Haney. son of the immi-
grant ancestor of the family in this state, was
born in Penobscot in the year 1802 and died in
1888. He was a seafaring man, pilot chiefly
during the earlier part of his life and sailed
between Penobscot and Boston. Later on he
left the sea and turned hi? attention to farm-
ing pursuits, and he died in the same town irr
which he was born. The family name of his



Online LibraryGeorge Thomas LittleGenealogical and family history of the state of Maine; (Volume 3) → online text (page 97 of 128)