eBooksRead.com books search new books
George Thornton Fleming.

History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution .. online

. (page 22 of 93)
Online LibraryGeorge Thornton FlemingHistory of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution .. → online text (page 22 of 93)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Maryland, and the entire State of Pennsylvania. Dur-
ing the last few years Mr. Patch has delegated much
routine business to other hands, and is acting more and
more in an advisory capacity, but he is still the con-
structive and guidmg force in the company.



Digitized by



Google



8o



HISTORY OF PITTSBURGH



Mr. Patch has always been much absorbed in his busi-
ness interests, having but few outside connections. He
is prominent, however, in the Masonic fraternity, hold-
ing the thirty-second degree in that order, his lodge
Braddock Field Lodge, No. 510, Free and Accepted
Masons. He is also a member of Syria Temple, An-
cient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He is
identified with the Pittsburgh Athletic Association,
Americus Republican Club, and the Chamber of Com-
merce. He is an associate member of Finley Patch Post,
Grand Army of the Republic, of Blairsville, Pa. For
recreation he turns to the great out-of-doors, and en-
joys hunting, fishing, and motoring. He attends the
services of the Methodist Episcopal church.

On April 16, 1880, Mr. Patch married Mary A. Wil-
liams, of Cambria county. Pa., and they had one child,
who died in infancy.



JOHN PHILIPS MOORE— Throughout his entire
career interested in improvement and development of
properties and general conditions, John P. Moore has
been identified with individual enterprise and public en-
deavor, and is now serving the people in an office of pub-
lic trust Mr. Moore is a son of George and Ann Moore,
of Pittsburgh, Pa. His father was a brick manufac-
turer, a leader in the Republican party, and for many
years a member of the City Council.

John P. Moore was born in Pittsburgh, April 12,
1856, and received his early education in the public
schools of the city, taking the first year of the high
school course, and then attending Duff's Business Col-
lege. While still in school he spent the summer months
assisting his father in the brick-yards. On March 12,
1881, he became connected with the Knoxville Land
Improvement Company, with which company he has
since been continuously identified, now holding the office
of vice-president. He has also been connected with the
Pittsburgh Incline, in the capacity of treasurer, and is
president of the Hill Top Ice Company.

In the public service Mr. Moore has long been prom-
inent. He has served five sessions in the State Legis-
lature, and two terms as State Senator, and resigned to
accept the office of county controller, in which office he
is now serving a second term. He is a member of the
Pittsburgh Chamber of Commerce, and fraternally affil-
iates with the Masonic order.

Mr. Moore married Mary E. Scott, of Pittsburgh,
Oct. 20, 1 88 1, and they are the parents of three children :
Alice M., George V., and Jean A. The son, George V.
Moore, volunteered for service in the World War, and
was connected with the Fourth United States Infantry,
Third Division, American Expeditionary Forces, and
served through the entire period of the war. He was
one of the few survivors of his old Company E, of the
veteran troops, held the rank of lieutenant, and was a
platoon leader. Lieutenant Moore is now assistant
United States district attorney. He has written a book,
entitled "A Soldier's Story of the Late War."



WILLIAM S. McKINNBY— Not aU the men to
whom Pittsburgh, Pa., owes her commercial celebrity
were her sons by birth. Many came from parts of



Pennsylvania remote from her boundaries, and others
from portions of the Union far distant from the Key-
stone State. Conspicuous among the business men in-
separably associated with the Iron City, but not bom
within her confines, was the late William S. McKinncy,
president of the McKinney Manufacturing Company,
and identified with a number of leading financial insti-
tutions. Mr. McKinney took an active interest in char-
itable and religious work and was prominent in the social
life of his adopted city.

William S. McKinney was born Aug. 11, 1844, in Troy,
N. Y., and was a son of Robert and Mary Jane
(Smjrthe) McKinney. The boy was educated in public
and private schools of his native city, and in 1861 re-
moved with his parents to Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1878
Mr. McKinney came to Pittsburgh, which was his home
during the remainder of his life. He was president of
the McKinney Manufacturiiig Company from the date
of its organization until his death, and the concern was
built up chiefly by his tireless energy and aggressive
methods, enforced by an unimpeachable integrity which
inspired universal confidence. The specialty of the
company was the making of hinges and bolts, and in
this line of manufacture they had no superior. Force-
ful, sagacious and resourceful, Mr. McKinney was rec-
ognized as one of the inmost circle of those closest to
the business concerns and financial interests which most
largely conserved the growth and progress of the city.
To his associates he showed a kindly, humorous side of
his nature which made their business relations most
enjoyable, while his conduct toward his subordinates
was marked by a uniform justice and benevolence which
won for him their most loyal service, and was in fact, one
of the secrets of his phenomenal success. He was a direc-
tor of the Allegheny Trust Company, and the Pennsyl-
vania Light, Heat and Power Company, and had large
financial interests in many of the leading business and
monetary institutions of the city.

As a citizen with exalted ideas of good government
and civic virtue, Mr. McKinney stood in the front rank.
Always searching for a channel through which the ma-
terial and moral welfare of Pittsburgh might be ad-
vanced, he never failed to lend a strong hand in the
guidance of such advancement. As a Republican he took
an active part in public affairs, and for years repre-
sented his ward in the Allegheny Council. For nearly
twenty years he served as one of the managers of the
Pennsylvania Reform School at Morganza, his last com-
mission being issued by Governor Tener in June, 191 1.
Ever ready to respond to any deserving call made upon
him, the full number of his benefactions will in all
probability ever remain unknown, for his charity was
of the kind that shuns publicity. He belonged to the
Duquesne Club and the Pittsburgh Country Cltib, and
was a member of the Shadyside United Presbyterian
Church, in the work of which he took an active interest
A fine-looking, genial man, his countenance radiated an
optimistic spirit and also gave evidence of the strong
mental endowments by which he was distinguished. His
business capacity was of the highest order, and his judg-
ment of men exceptional He possessed a frankness
and kindliness of disposition and a courtesy of manner



Digitized by



Google




^i^^




Digitized by



Google



Digitized by



Google



Digitized by



Google




^^^i^i^ui^iJUt



Digitized by



Google



BIOGRAPHICAL



8i



which made him a delightful companion, and he was a
dependable man in any relation and any emergency,
ready to meet any obligation of life with tiie confidence
and courage bom of conscious personal ability and an
habitual regard for what is best in the sphere of human
activities. The briefest conversation with him revealed
those versatile talents which won for him the admira-
tion of his fellow-citizens.

Mr. McKinney married (first) Mary Frances Harper,
of Hamilton, Ohio, and they were the parents of two
daughters : Mary Alice, and Katherine Eliza. Mrs. Mc-
Kinney died, and Mr. McKinney married (second) Aug.
14, 1884, Jane B. McGunnegle, daughter of James and
Maria Louisa (McKee) McGunn^le. The following
children were bom to Mr. and Mrs. McKinney: Robert
Grant; William S.; Virginia, who married Dawson
Gallery, Jr., deceased; and Louise, who is the wife of
Roland G. Wood. Mrs. McKinney, a woman of rare
wifely qualities, was admirably fitted by her excellent
practical mind to be a helpmate to her husband in his
aspirations and ambitions, possessing also those domestic
qualities which enabled her to make the home a refuge
from the storm and stress of business and public affairs.
Mr. McKinney loved no place so well as his own fire-
side, and was never so happy as when surrounded by
his family and friends, for he delighted in the exercise
of hospitality and was, as all who were privileged to be
hb guests can testify, an incomparable host.

The death of Mr. McKinney, which occurred Aug. 30,
191 1, was a direct blow to Pittsburgh. Unostentatious in
his activities, he nevertheless was a man of most pro-
gressive endeavor, and no more loyal lover of his city
was to be found within her confines. The financial and
commercial concems, the educational, political, char-
itable and religious interests which constitute the chief
features in the life of every community, all profited by
his support and cooperation, and few men have en-
joyed to a greater degree the confidence of their fellow-
citizens. Albeit not by birth a Pittsburgher, none could
have partaken more largely of the spirit of the Iron
City dian did her adopted son, William S. McKinney,
He seemed to share with her that secret of perpetual en-
ergy which is and ever has been her peculiar possession,
and his record abundantly testifies that he had adopted
for his own her distinctive motto— "Do!"



SAMUEL HABflLTON, for more than a third of a
century superintendent of schools in Allegheny county,
was bora in Washington county, Pa., June 30, 1856. His
father, Samuel Hamilton, was a farmer and a Civil War
veteran; his mother was Mary Patterson, of Donegal,
Ireland

The subject of this sketch was educated in the public
schools. Laird Institute, Oakdale Academy, and under
private tutors. From Grove City College he received
the degree of Master of Arts, and later completed the
course required by that institution for a Doctor's degree.
In 1918 the University of Pittsburgh honored him with
the degree of LL.D.

For a period of more than forty years Dr. Hamilton
has been a prominent figure in the educational affairs of
the State. As a school principal, training teacher, lec-

Pltts.— 1-6



turer on all phases of school worl^ and as superintendent
of schools of Allegheny county, he has made his contri-
bution to the educational progress ol the State and
Nation. In 1894 he served as president of the State
Educational Association of Pennsylvania, and in 1913
as vice-president of the Department of Superintendence
of the National Educational Association. The records
of these bodies show that he has appeared on the pro-
grams of the former almost annually for thirty years,
and on those of the latter frequently. In 1887 he organ-
ized the first County School Directors' Association m
Pennsylvania, and in 1894 he outlined a plan for
the formation o^a State School Directors* Association,
which came into existence a year or two later. A series
of lectures on the weaknesses of Pennsylvania school law,
which Dr. Hamilton gave in many counties and before
many audiences, was largely instrumental in creating
a demand for a new school code. The school laws on
compulsory attendance, directors' associations, assistant
county superintendents, play activities, and those that
relate to the equipment of the office of the county super-
intendent may be traced almost directly to his influence,
and in many cases to his pen.

Early in life Dr. Hamilton read law in the office of J.
McF. Carpenter, later judge of the Common Pleas
Court in Pittsburgh. While a law student he went on
the stump for the late Senator Quay in his campaign
for the office of State treasurer. The Senator never
forgot the service, and years afterward sent Judge Mil-
ler, of Mercer, and President Ketler, of Grove City
College, to see whether Dr. Hamilton would accept an
appointment as Superintendent of Public Instruction in
Pennsylvania, but ^e former campaigner for Mr. Quay
did not believe that politics should interfere with school
affairs and modestly declined.

As a contributor on educational subjects and as an
author Dr. Hamilton's influence has covered a wide
field. He is the author of "The Recitation," a profes-
sional book for teachers and superintendents now used
as a text in several normal schools and universities. He
is also the author of four series of arithmetics bearing
his name. These texts are used extensively in the ele-
mentary schools of the nation.

In 1902, through an unfortunate accident. Dr. Ham-
ilton lost both his limbs, yet his activities in his chosen
field continued almost unabated.

In business, social, civic, and religious affairs he
always has taken a leading part. He was one of the
organizers of the State Bank of Braddock, and while
he resided there, was one of its directors. For six years
he represented his ward in the Town Council of Brad-
dock, serving as president of that body for much of
the time. In religious activities he has served in almost
every capacity, filling practically every office within the
gift of the church.

Fraternally, Dr. Hamilton is a thirty-third degree
Mason, a past master of Braddock Fields Lodge, No.
510, Free and Accepted Masons; past eminent com-
mander of Tancred Commandery, No. 48, Knights Tem-
plar; past sovereign prince of Pennsylvania Council,
Princes of Jerusalem; and for twenty years he served
as a district deputy grand master in Pennsylvania.



Digitized by



Google



82



HISTORY OF PITTSBURGH



In 1886 Dr. Hamilton married Minnie McCime, of
Braddock, Pa., who died a year later, leaving one son,
Paul Holland Hamilton; after ten years he married
Mary R. Kennedy, of New Brighton, and from this
union came two daughters, Elizabeth and Mary.



WILLIAM LEECH TAYLOR— One of the leading
retail houses of the city of Pittsburgh is that of Taylor
Brothers, of which WUliam L. Taylor is president and
treasurer, and principal owner. Mr. Taylor was bom
on "Nelson Farm," in the parish of Finvoy, County
Antrim, North Ireland, and is a son of Robert and
Mary (Leech) Taylor.

Robert Taylor was born in 1820^ and spent his active
business lifetime in Ireland. For many years he con-
ducted a general store, and supplemented his income by
serving as superintendent of "Keers Mill," living and
rearing his family on "Nelson Farm." Following his
retirement in 1883 he came to America, and here his
death occurred, in his seventy-third year, in 1893. He
is buried in Parker City, Pa. Mary (Leech) Taylor
was bom in Kilraughts, County Antrim, Ireland, in
1824, died in 1877, and is buried in the churchyard of
Finvoy Presbyterian Church, County Antrim. She was
a daughter of Frank and Molly (Henry) Leech, her
mother born at what is known as the "Cross."

Robert and Mary (Leech) Taylor were married by
the Rev. Andrew Todd, pastor of Finvoy Presbyterian
Church, who also baptized all of their nine children,
five sons and four daughters, of whom William Leech
Taylor, of this review, was the eldest son. The second
son was Robert F. Taylor, deceased, joint founder of
Taylor Brothers, who participated with William L.
Taylor in the oil, shoe and fumiture business. The
third son was James Henry Taylor, of Liverpool, Eng-
land, architect, builder, musician, painter, and temper-
ance advocate. He died March 20, 1920, at "Ivy
Lodge," New Brighton, Liverpool, England, survived
by a son, James H., and a daughter, Rosie. The son,
James H., at the age of eighteen, volunteered for the
World War, and saw four and one-half years of con-
tinuous service. The fourth son, Jolm L. Taylor, was,
following the death of Robert F. Taylor, for a time
connected with Taylor Brothers, but now resides at
Seattle, Wash., where he is a prominent manu-
facturer and citizen. He married Clara Jones, of Pitts-
burgh, daughter of Thomas Jones, a court official
and veteran of the Civil War, and has two sons, Rob-
ert and Craig Lee, and a daughter, Janett. The fifth
son, who rose to eminence as a scholar and minister,
was Rev. Andrew Todd Taylor, D. D., pastor of the
First Presbyterian Church, of York, Pa., whose
death occurred Dec. 21, 1919. He was educated
at Grove City, College, Western Theological Seminary,
and Princeton University, receiving the' degree, t). D.,
from Grove City (College in 1906. He was ordained in
1893, and served as minister in Mount Prospect, Pa; in
Gaston Memorial Church, Philadelphia; in Cocks-
Church, Toronto, Canada; in Third Church, Trenton,
N. J., and on Dec. i, 1916, was installed pastor of the
First Church, of York, Pa. He married Loretta Bron-
son, daughter of Rev. Dr. Bronson, for fifty years pas-



tor of the First Presbyterian Church, of Washington,
Pa. They had : Eleanor ; Mary Jane ; James Irwin, a vet-
eran of the World War, married Elizabeth Hibbard, of
New York City; Loretta, and Andrea. The eldest
daughter, Matilda Taylor, married, in Ireland, Robert
Connolly, and had eight children: Sarah, Elizabeth,
Alexander, Mary Jane, who died in infancy; Robert L.,
vice-president of Taylor Brothers, married lyfary Agnes
Taylor, and had three children, Rosetta, William T.
and Mary; Ellen E.; Rosetta L.; Margaret The sec-
ond daughter, Mary Jane Taylor, died in young girl-
hood, and is buried in Finvoy Presbyterian Church
Cemetery, Ireland. The third daughter, Rosetta Tay-
lor, married Robert M. Taylor, a native of Banbridge,
County l>own, Ireland, secretary of Taylor Brothers;
children: William E., a mining engineer, deceased; Mary
Agnes, now Mrs. Robert L. Connolly; Major Samuel
James Taylor, who served with the 312th Machine Gim
Battalion in the World War. The fourth daughter,
Mary Jane^ (2) Taylor, married Craig Lee; she died
aged thirty-eight years, and is buried at Cross Creek,
Washington county. Pa.

William L. Taylor, after finishing his elementary
educational training, came to America when he was
seventeen years of age, settling in Parker City, Pa.,
where his first employer was Elisha M. Robinson,
farmer and oil producer, and where he remained two
years. Desiring a better education, he attended school
the following two winters, later taking one year of work
at Clarion Collegiate Institute, Rimersburg, Pa. His
second position was with Wilson & Manifold in the dry
goods business for two years, and his third a clerkship
with George D. Prest, at Parkers City. The funds
saved from his earnings in these positions he used for
his educational expenses. In 1877 he and his brother,
Robert F., became actively interested in the oil business,
operating in oil production until 1880, when the price
of crude oil dropped from four dollars to fifty cents
a barrel, and the profits of years were wiped out In
1880, under the firm name of W. L. Taylor & Brother,
they established in the shoe business at Parker City,
and continued actively in this line for nine years.

In 1886, Robert F. Taylor came to Pittsburgh and
began in the manufacture of a patented washing ma-
chine. This venture proving unprofitable, he put in a
small stock of fumiture, and in this way the present
business was started at Nos. 12 and 14 Wylie avenue.
Following his retirement from the shoe business in
1889, William L. Taylor removed to this city and be-
came actively connected with the present organization,
putting the entire proceeds from the sale of the shoe
business into the new venture. In 1890, following the
death of Robert F. Taylor, he succeeded to the active
management of the store. When Mr. Taylor came to
Pittsburgh in 1889, the store was doing a business of
about $15,000 yearly, and the steady and healthy growth
of the enterprise is indicated by the fact that at the
present titne it transacts a business of $700,000 annually,
in a new and modern building containing floor space
in excess of 20,000 square feet, with splendid show rooms
and warehouse facilities. Conducted for many years as
a partnership, the business was incorporated in 191 9,
the personnel of the company as fpllows: William L.



Digitized by



Google





^ / c^^^^yA-^ — K^



Digitized by



Google



r

3
'f

h(

i
h

2?

^

2a(

3/;
%

On.

^of
'^.

Ml



Digitized by



Google



BIOGRAPHICAL



83



Taylor, president and treasurer; R. L. Connolly, vice-
president; and R. M. Taylor, who has been the firm's
accountant for many years, secretary. They handle
every kind of furniture in large assortments, and a fine
motor delivery equipment enables them to supply a
patronage extending over a radius of one hundred miles
from Pittsburgh, including adjacent sections of Penn-
sylvania, Maryland, West Virginia and Ohio.

Mr. Taylor is a member of the Pittsburgh Chamber
of Commerce. Politically he supports the Republican
party, and while he has never sought political prefer-
ment he has long been an earnest worker in all ad-
vance movements of the city, commonwealth, and nation,
bearing the part of a fearless advocate for the long pro-
secuted and finally successful prohibition reform. He
is vice-president of the Ulster Society, and a member of
the Western Pennsylvania Historical Society. Mr. Tay-
lor was one of the organizers of the Park City Socie^,
formed to bring together in annual reunion former
Parker City residents and their descendants now living
in Pittsburgh and vicinity, and for the 192 1 meeting he
prepared a history of pioneer days in Parker City which
was widely published in the daily papers. He takes
much time for philanthropic activities, and is president
of the board of directors of the New Covenant Mission.
He is also a liberal patron and a member of the board
of directors of the Boys' Industrial Home at Oakdale,
Pa. He is interested in charitable and church work,
both home and foreign missions, contributing to the
support of many, but particularly interested ' in the
Italian Mission in Pittsburgh. He received his early
religious training in the Finvoy Presbyterian Church
in County Antrim, Ireland, and recently built the Craigs
Sabbath School Chapel as a memorial to his parents,
Robert and Mary (Leech) Taylor. Finvoy Presbyter-
ian Church has a remarkable record for the length of
service of its pastors. Rev. James Elder was ordained
in 1780, and was moderator of the Sjmod of Ulster in
1843, served this church for sixty-three years; his suc-
cessor, Rev. Andrew Todd, filled its pulpit for forty-
eight years; and his successor, Rev. William Craig, has
served (1921) for thirty years; the pastorate of these
three men covering a period of 141 years. Mr. Taylor
is a member of the Third United Presbyterian Church
of this city, in which he has been an elder for the past
thirty years. He is a frequent contributor to the church
publication, 'The United Presbyterian."

On May 12, 1903, Mr. Taylor married Mary Den-
ham, of Wellsville, Ohio. Their city residence is No.
136 North Dithridge street. Mrs. Taylor is a daugh-
ter of Alexander and Mary (Logan) Denham, Mary
Logan a daughter of John Logan, who came from Ire-
land about 1819, settling in Shaler township, near
Sharpsburg. John Logan married a Miss McCulley, sis-
ter of James McCulley, founder of the McCulley whole-
sale grocery house of the early days. Alexander Den-
ham came from Douglas, Scotland, when twenty-five
years of age, settling at Wellsville, Ohio, where he
spent his business life as a merchant Mr. and Mrs.
Denham had three children: Jane K., died unmarried,
aged sixty-five; John M., died in January, 1921, aged
sixty-seven years; Mary, who married William L. Tay-
lor, as stated above.



SIDNEY ALEXANDER CHALFANT, M. D^

Among those physicians of Pittsbur^^i whose large
abilities, thorough training, and faithful service have
won for them a high place in the esteem of their fel-
lows is Sidney Alexander Chalfant, specialist in gyne-
cology and efficient staff member of many hospitals,
where his wide knowledge and rare skill have been of
invaluable service.

(I) Dr. Chalfant comes of a very old Colonial fam-
ily, the founder of which, John Chalfant, came to
Pennsylvania with William Penn on the ship "Wel-
come" in 1682, and was deeded 640 acres of land in
Chester county. In 1699, he settled on a tract of 250
acres in Rockland Manor, Chester county, for which
he received a warrant, Oct 22, 1701. He died in Aug-
ust, 1725, leaving two sons, John, mentioned below, and
Robert.

(II) John (2) Chalfant, son of John (i) Chalfant,
married and among other children had three sons: John,
Solomon, and Robert, mentioned below.

(III) Robert Chalfant, son of John (2) Chalfant,
married Ann Bentley, daughter of John and Mary
Bentley, of Newton, Chester county. Pa., and their
children were: John, mentioned below: Mary, Jane,
Ann, Robert and Elizabeth.

(IV) John (3) Chalfant, son of Robert and Ann



Online LibraryGeorge Thornton FlemingHistory of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution .. → online text (page 22 of 93)
Using the text of ebook History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution .. by George Thornton Fleming active link like:
read the ebook History of Pittsburgh and environs, from prehistoric days to the beginning of the American revolution .. is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014